So, Directx 12 has been proven a massive failure. Not only it causes bad performance, but it's exclusive to windows 10...

So, Directx 12 has been proven a massive failure. Not only it causes bad performance, but it's exclusive to windows 10, and most of the games using it have then been ported back to dx11.

At the moment, most devs don't even consider using it, and the ones that did quickly went back on their word after catastrophic launches.
Looking online the list of games running in dx12 is laughable, and the exclusives for it can be counted on one hand. Which I'm supposing means that Microsoft has completely given up on it.

What happens now? Do we just skip to Dx13? Do we just keep using Dx11 and open alternatives for ever? Why the fuck would microsoft give up on the one thing that makes their OS the prime choice for pc gaming?
This whole thing is just very fucking confusing to me

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/basic-level-windows-diagnostic-events-and-fields
archive.is/NN0xR
petri.com/windows-10-ignoring-hosts-file-specific-name-resolution
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What happens is
THE YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP

Its exactly the same shit that happened with DX10 and vista.

V U L K A N

U

L

K

A

N

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Where are the proofs?

GAS DIRECTX
API WAR NOW

Worth shilling for to fuck over MS?

This is untrue. Even so, Vulkan is much better

Yeah but dx10 worked

On the Internet and YouTube? You want me to spoonfeed you?

No I want you to provide the proof to back up your claim.

Nobody really cares about graphics APIs. Even if DX12 is that bad, it's not going to drive anyone away from Windows, devs will just use OGL/Vulkan on Windows until Microsoft unfucks DX in a later revision.

How do you plan to do this and what do you think it will help?

Shattered Horizon did not deserve the fate it had.

Its dx9 and windows xp all over again. Can't wait for pc games to get even buggier, slower, uglier and more and more vulnerabilities to be discovered. Pc gaming isn't being held back my consoles. It's being held back by pc gaming.

The thing is, Pajeet, there are other APIs which aren't microsoft owned

Historically developers had that choice back in the dx9 vs dx10 days. They all stuck with dx9, not ogl3 or ogl4. Vulkan and mantle will die, ignored and unused.

DX12 games run better than DX9 or DX11 on my 480. I get 20 more fps in some cases.
However, Vulkan performs even better than that so it's the best.

Meanwhile, DX12 is ignored and unused right now.

MOD EDIT: Removed short link Nice Try FBI-kun

You're welcome.

Just like dx10 was. Dx11 is in the same spot as dx9 was. Kept in use by a stagnating userbase, making devs jobs harder.

Shameful

DX13 will require Windows 10, which still isn't getting the support and numbers Microsoft needs. If they backport DX13 to Windows 7/8 they might have a chance, but as it stands DX11 has been rotting for a very long time now.

Fuck off

DON'T CLICK YOU GUYS IT'S GOATSE!!!!

Nice try FBIkun

Speaking of Vulcan did they remove that from BF4, or is it only for AMD shitdeo cards?

People keep shitting on new APIs forgetting the fact that we've been here before. Dx6 was shit until it got adopted and developed more thoroughly, same with 7 then 9. I forget if there was even an 8 though.

In any case, I do hope the Khronos Group get their act together with Vulkan. With how important APIs are, it's high time we move away from locked-in proprietary software.

Yes I'm sure that's how you've been paid to see the world my friend. Enjoy your toiletless life

That's actually the greatest new of the day.

yes there is a dx8 I need to run tf2 in dx8 mode for it to work
well, not anymore since all the servers I would visit are empty, but theoretically speaking

Everything 10 did was backported to 9 with very minor fuckery. 10 was barely a step up from 9.

But Win10 is special.

I thought gaming (Overall) was being held back by incompetent developers. The last time there was "Great leap" in gaming graphics was a decade ago with Crysis.

F

F

The only thing DirectX 10 did for me was breaking all of my pre-Vista games. Call of Cthulhu, Deus Ex 2, etc.

DirectX as an API is a real conflict of the greater public's good, I find. We have a console manufacturer/Operating System distributor/software company who makes the most heavily used Operating System. So then as the publishers of said operating system, they should have a hands-off policy on software on said operating system. Instead, they use a draconian exclusivity system to lock the majority of applications to their operating system by creating and distributing the DirectX API.

This should have been a matter of anti-trust, just like Internet Explorer was. OpenGL already existed at the time, there was methods of directly calling to the hardware aside, Microsoft had no fucking business making their own Windows-exclusive development system and pushing it as heavily as they did. Just like they pushed Internet Explorer before the FTC slapped the back of their wrists and told them "this is not only anti-competitive, but it's downright bullshit."

Dx10 was pretty much "Hey, you know all those neat extensions the XBOX had and all the shit we learned from making it, yeah let's ignore all that and overbloat a few extensions we already have and call it new"

OGL could never truly replace DX on windows system because MS made sure it could never run as good as DX period, then Khronos just went full retard with OGL 3 for some reason I don't recall I just recall they went full retard.

It was 'let me google that for you'.

its a mix of that, and easily pleased consumers. Casuals simply do not notice these flaws They buy games that are heavily advertised and are easily pleased. if they don't like the game the buyers remorse is fleeting and forgotten just as quickly as they return the game back to gamestop. Publishers notice this and start to shaft the developers or bring on shittier cheaper talent because casuals still won't learn.

also on the topic of faces presented in your seocnd image, i always thought mgs3 had really good faces even though they're not as detailed as silent hill obviously. and for good measure i included a picture of Rico from Killzone 3, the same studio as horizon who is a black character that doesn't look like an oily mess compared to the horizon character. The last picture is an even older game from them just to drive that stake further. Killzone was a pretty fun series and had lots of potential and it all really went to shit with shadowfall and horizon.

Are you serious? LMGTFY is bannable? Mark why?

whoops forgot one, the last picture there is from kz2 this one is from 3

I don't think DirectX 10 did that

Historically they haven't. One of the biggest reasons why the Widows operating system overtook Mac was due to the amount of games were on it and because Direct X was exclusive to Windows.

There's also no profit to doing so. In fact it risks their competition overtaking them with portable software on other operating systems

They do from a profit perspective. Keeping people using their operating system is their priority. This is like saying "They should just do one thing and do nothing to keep people using their operating system". Like saying that a car manufacturer should ship their cars without car radios to give a leg up to people who manufacture aftermarket radios.

This isn't really true. A lot of devs still use OpenGL especially when a game is ported to other systems.

The characters in Metal Gear Solid 3 are very stylized. In more modern games they try and make their characters look more realistic and less distinct. There's plenty of examples of distinct character design in video games it just doesn't usually stand out that much anymore because of how far graphics have advanced.

I dont think its bannable. The site has a link shortner built in and I copied that instead of the full link.

No matter what you do or how good you are OGL is slower at blitting on Windows than DX so by default you take a penalty by using it.

When used properly DX12 does a very good job. For example, Sniper Elite 4 is the only game on the market that can gain nearly 100% performance scaling by running two GPUs.

However I still want Vulkan to succeed because that works on Win 7 and Linux, and right now it does look like there are a decent number of devs that are starting to embrace it.

your logic and level-headedness is not welcome here.

Considering pretty much everyone but MS (and technically Apple and they still support Vulkan just not as much as Metal) is pushing for Vulkan I'm almost sure Vulkan is gonna overtake DX12 or at the very least become a serious alternative.

Remember 3Dfx? Yeah, neither do I.

3dfx was one vendor competing against ATI, Nvidia, etc as well as openGL and DirectX. All three APIs solved the same problem of getting Windows PCs to display graphics in a more unified way.

Vulkan has a few big advantages. Mainly it's not tied to Windows like DX is and that it offers a lot of improvement over OpenGL. OpenGL has been more or less stagnant for a while.

Vulkan also has several GPU designers behind it, AMD, Imagination, etc. It's not guaranteed success, but it's got a lot more going for it than glide did.

Main difference was Glide was only supported by one manufacturer, Vulkan is supported by every manufacturer and a bunch of the biggest software companies out there.
Just the Android market alone is enough to ensure Vulkan sticks around for a while.

its funny you say 'stylized" because they term has been completely bastardized recently. The MGS3 faces are indeed stylized but still grounded in reality but most normalfags and journos think "stylized" is just visuals with a cartoonish look like overwatch. also you can go back to "muh style' arguments from people who just don't know the technical know how

Sort of apples to oranges. 3dfx was up against a bunch of other vendors. Obviously NVIDIA and ATI survived, but back 15-20 years ago there was a lot more competition. As far as 3dfx they fucked up on then own, and bad after Voodoo 2 but even then they lasted for awhile.

As far as DX12, it's survivability is more or less tied to how well Windows 10 does. The actual efficacy of the API is something that MS can work on, and when it comes to DX they usually do fairly well working from behind; they even managed to convince John Carmack between DX6 and DX9, and he was very strongly in OGL's camp early on. Of course, MS might fuck it up since they've been on a downward trajectory, but then so might Khronos and company (OGL itself has not always had a stable development itself). I think most devs are probably going to adopt a "wait and see" policy for now.

learn to read

I couldn't give two shits if it's dx12 or dx11. Also isn't vulkan massively underdeveloped and underused right now? If it won't get proper support it'll go dx12's route.

Hey retard, all versions of Win 10 have spyware. It doesn't matter what version of it you are using. They spy on everyone.

Here's their official list of what they collect, and I wouldn't even be surprised if it's incomplete:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/basic-level-windows-diagnostic-events-and-fields

during the installation of enterprise you can turn shit off, more shit than other versions allow and there are few yt tutorials how you can try turining all the shit on versions different than enterprise - the kind of shit that enterprise allows you to turn off.

I've looked for tutorials for enterprise and there was nothing i found that would require fucking around like other versions do.

And then after they force-restart your computer to apply an update all those little spy toggles mysteriously get turned back on and they hope you don't bother to check them every time to turn them all back off again. It's compromised from top to bottom. At launch the obviously named spy service that people were disabling got renamed to a less obvious service that people had to track down again. These fuckheads will never stop.

Remember, when something is free, YOU are the product being sold.

Out of curiosity, can't you edit the hosts file or use a connection blocker?

There is a list of Microsoft URLs that are hard-coded into Windows, changing hosts files to try to block them gets ignored outright. Blocking via other means (like at the router level) may be more effective.

archive.is/NN0xR
petri.com/windows-10-ignoring-hosts-file-specific-name-resolution

That's really disgusting to hear. Thanks user.

There's a very distinct difference between the faces in Metal Gear Solid 3 in comparison to the ones in 5. It's not just detail it's also that the one in 5 is less exaggerated

devs will continue to get better at it, if thats possible… if not, it will die slow death

I agree completely, i'm just remarking on how modern ideas of 'stylization" is making characters closure to caricature than what is used in mgs3

He literally wrote:
He's right, you do need to learn how to read.

I never said anything about MGS3. I was talking about his unbacked claim that Overwatch wasn't stylized. You're the illiterate one.

You really can't read for shit.

He didn't say Overwatch wasn't stylized either. You are the ur-illiterate.

He's implying it's something completely different than "visuals with a cartoonish look," which is all Overwatch has. Therefore it's not stylized.

Retard

retested it the same exact way this guy did it. got none of the same results. I think you guys should try it for yourself.

Vulkan

well I don't mean to imply it. What I am trying to remark on is the modern concepts of stylization. normalfags would call overwatch stylized because it isn't using realistic visuals, and many games will use "stylized" visuals as a cover for their shitty modeling work. Something like pic related is an example, i can't remember the name of the game but since it was so proud of calling itself "post modern" it came up on google image results under 'post modern video game". Getting off topic but this is something that normalfags would consider stylized because its just not traditional. really its just lacking in talent and covering that up with a concept of style.

Hmm… this game looks like something a noob in 3D modeling would make and call it "lowpoly".

never had this auto restart shit

All versions of Windows 10 are a botnet. There is no war around this.

No.

Compared to what? Vulkan currently has 26 games that have or plan to have it as its API. DX 12 only has 20 games, 7 of those being made by Microsoft. There is literally no reason to use DX 12 over Vulkan unless you're getting MS dollars.

So did the MC of that game turn out to be trans in the end? Were both the "females" trans? Most bigotted game ever. I don't even see any African Americans in xer party!

Because you are either always restarting when it prompts you or you leave your computer on while you sleep and it does it then. Google it. There is no way to turn off automatic restart for updates, you can only delay it for X amount of time before it finally forces itself upon you.

People who defend Win10, enterprise edition or not, deserve the rope.

sorry, never got update prompt and all updates are installed just like in previous windows versions, i'm not leaving pc running over night.

26 is still low as fuck, more than dx12 but still very low number, also i wonder why people claim vulkan to be amd's triumph card even though nvidia supports it as well

Vulkan is a better alternative to DirectX.

AMD has shit drivers, Vulkan lowers reliance on drivers to get good performance, you can figure out the rest yourself.

If Valve actually wanted their SteamOS/SteamMachine bullshit to succeed, why the fuck didn't they enforce that every new game require a Linux build?

Because that directly goes against their hands off approach to how dev handle their place in the steam platform.

More accurately, it means they would make less money.

They're going to be making a whole lot less money when they cause their platform to crash for having absolutely zero fucking quality control

Vulkan is equally as big of a failure, hell, I'd say it's even MORE of a failure than DX12 because Vulkan actually has the platform-neutral advantage DX12 doesn't have yet it has about as much adaptation

The problem is we're reaching a situation where previous APIs are "good enough" and people don't have a real reason to start developing with newer APIs

FAKE NEWS!

Multi-GPU card formats. That's about it. DirectX 12 and Vulkan were supposedly going to revive the push for SLI and XFire, and they really haven't done it because there's not enough penetration for either API. People are still using DX11 and OGL4. "Why fix what ain't broke" as they say.

But the thing is, Vulkan and DX12 both support multi-GPU in situations where you might not have SLI/Crossfire, which allows you to use ALL the VRAM of your GPUs and not just the VRAM of one GPU. With Vulkan/DX12 you could theoretically build a machine with say a Vega 64 and a 1080 Ti and get the advantages of both cards. Normally you would have to pick one or the other, but in this theoretical situation the two new APIs could take advantage of such a build.

But it's for naught because devs ain't using the APIs that make it possible.

There's nothing wrong with D3D12, devs are just shit at using it. If you want an indication of how retarded modern AAA studio graphics programmers are, read the patch notes of your graphics drivers.

Previously D3D was far superior to its open competitor, until Khronos tried a radical new strategy in drafting up their next API: Actually listening to developers. Using the donated spec of AMD Mantle which D3D12 is also based on, they came up with Vulkan. D3D12 and Vulkan expose more or less the same hardware profile. They provide raw command queues, buffers and manual memory allocation etc. with a goal of increasing performance through low driver overhead, low-level hardware access and multi-thread support. Unlike D3D of course Vulkan is supported on every hardware platform and OS (except Apple, because fuck you that's why).

So first, Vulkan is the first Khronos API with proper feature parity to D3D: Porting or simply hooking calls from one to the other should be trivial. Second, both APIs have reached the logical conclusion of their design: When future GPU features arrive, they'll be exposed directly through vendor extensions with the onus shifted to library and engine developers to implement them. Entirely new GPU designs will be gracefully handled with new code by the same APIs, unlike the previous tiled vs. conventional rendering split on mobile vs. pc using OpenGL.

I'll care when I can plug in my new card and my old card at once and it works plug & play and actually boosts my graphics processing power.

Japs tend to put a lot more upfront effort into fleshing out how the characters feel way before the first mesh is created. Western devs just pin shit on a reference model.

That's how it's supposed to work. It's just that there aren't any games that are properly using DX12 or Vulkan because they're not just a fire and forget API that you can drop your old shaders and code into. You gotta manage them. That's part of what makes them so powerful is that YOU manage the processing and the memory management, etc. It makes it a much more powerful tool, but someone's gotta put it to use before it does anything.

Maybe if Unreal Engine 5 or Unity 5 or whatever were to come out with DX12 and/or Vulkan support. But for now, the tools exist, but no one's using them.

wrong
DX10 wasn't much of an improvement and it was tied to a shit OS and soon after it came out nobody ever used it again. This was ~10 years ago and we have a new generation of plebs that might just let dx12 succeed, but hopefully in this case history repeats itself.
Also, vulkan.

no

Vulkan

Vulkan is fucking amazing in terms of performance.

Might aswell install windows 10.

I lol every time someone posts that webm from 2015 of the retarded Russian running an insider preview build and uses it to justify their paranoia hahaha.

Note I say "good enough" in quotes. Most game devs are design guys, not programming guys (where programming is typically outsourced) so they are typically more interested in keeping existing APIs that are compatible with their toolkits vs the lower-level interfaces that newer APIs provide. The only exceptions are nuDoom where the games engine is made in-house so the programming side isn't outsourced hens why they were able to easily port over Vulkan

Yeah, we should all install Windows 10. Don't you want to be part of the DirectX 12 revolution?

Fuck you

we're talking about software that you run to play video games on user. Take your aspergers to Holla Forums

I'm sure you are using your pda to post here

How about we have React OS to be windows XP parity let alone windows 7?

It's the year of the Temple OS desktop, you CIA nigger.

ReactOS will never be complete.

even jewvidia supports vulkan now

Why not? It's EXACTLY what linux as a whole needs.

A bug/virus free windows 7 equivalent that doesn't require batshit insane M$ licensing would get a large number of schools, business,and organizations to switch over.

the "problem" with these new APIs is they shift the responsibility a lot more to the dev
doing shit from scratch is fucking hard
so many implementations are atrocious, depends on devs how to implement it efficiently

that happened because they had to figure out the way to get multi-processor support and direct access in etc

Death of pc gaming.

Source?
Source?
Source?

On second thought, I'll gather some myself since I know OP won't and this is just gonna become a circlejerk like every negative thread without sources.

Claim 3 There are 20 available games listed for DX12.
Claim 2 70% of the games on the DX12 list are not DX12 exclusive. It's unclear is that means they're also on DX11.
Claim 1 has more to do with developers than the API itself. Attributing performance to the API alone is not even worth rebuking.

Personally, I've never installed Windows 10 and there's very few games that interest me on that list. I may be pushed into installing it in the future, but for now there's not enough motivation.

i didn't see DX 11 games until like 3 years after it came out and it was a Windows 7 exclusive, now most AAA have it as an option, if that serves as a point of reference

Because you say so?

Imagine having to remake the Windows XP codebase from scratch while having to unfuck it without using actual source code as a reference, does that sound fun or viable in any way?

Actually it's easier to stick to the same API as time goes on for really big projects especially if they're in the middle of development of one, you see constantly upgrading to new stuff always brings with it the requirement to relearn everything you already knew how to do before because you need to learn the quirks of the new tools you have.

Well, they do have the leaked Windows NT 4 and Windows 2000 source codes as reference, though those are somewhat incomplete I think.

Can't use that if they don't want M$ all up their asses.

Yeah, but they'd probably be accused of using it either way.

This right here is my nigga.

Sadly enough dx12 is worse then linux right now for games. Never did I think that directx would be worse than linux.

Except there are more recent alternative available which aren't closed and limited to a single shit OS.

The rise of Vulkan.

people might actually use them if they didn't involve re-learning how the API works and fixing all the bugs, and transitioning to new tools, and the fact that the multiple platforms it provides access to (linux, OSX) didn't have an even smaller audience to tap into than the already pathetically small PC gaming.

how do you remember to breathe, being so damn stupid

except people are using them over the microsoft shitware.
Most emulators don't use DX12, favoring vulkan and openGL over it and the ones which did use it soon depreciated it.
Microsoft's own exclusives run better in DX11 than DX12 as evidenced by Quantum Break's steam port.

yeah there's 27 games compared to 20 dx12 games lol

how many dx11 games in the same timespan

good one shill

what am i shilling for you dumb fuck