Megaman

I never completed a single megaman game in my life. How much i am missing out? I heard the series is just as important in gaming as mario, sonic, metroid and zelda. But i never fucking touched it.

Not much. It did indeed laid groundwork for the genre, but by modern standards it's barebones and super basic.
Play any of the originals and you pretty much played all of them.
Same for X series spin off.

Only Zero sub-series is worth a thorough playthrough, as it is a pinnacle of 2D action platformers.

Should i emulate ZX or individual chapters on gba?

ZX is shit, and ZXA even more so. It has some cool ideas, but levels, bosses and overall gameplay balances is just nowhere near Zero levels of god-tier.
Play Zero 1-4 on any platform available to you.
DS version has easy mode, but I wouldn't recommend using it. Otherwise it's the same as GBA version.

Ignore that liar.

Beating Mega Man 1 is an achievement few have claimed, because it takes the ability to recognize patterns and adapt to them. Mega Man 2 is much easier than 1, and more polished. 3 is said by some to be better than 2, but it was a mess in development. Others still state that 4 is the best. Anyway, beat 1, 2, 3, 4, X, X2, and X3, then Mega Man Legends 1 and 2. All other Mega Mannery is optional.

Emulate, because FUCK the money people want for MM1, 5, X2, and X3.

I mean sure, if you're that autistic.

What about fan projects like Mega Man Unlimited, and newest official megaman games like MM9, MM10?

Mega Man is a great franchise. It has its hiccups, but usually by the time they milked one series, they would create a new series that would change up the mechanics, and, if you care, would expand the lore and jump forward in time. It got kinda convoluted by the latter half of the X series, but a lot of inference and solid fan theories help wrap up some loose ends and make the series to together better. It's a decent example of a series being self-referential without overly masturbating itself.

Also, Legends 3 will come out before I die. I believe.

Pic related to discussion. The fans care more about Mega Man than Capcom ever could.

They're good, but not essential. If you want the absolute best of Mega Man fanworks, play Rockman Minus Infinity after you play the NES games. It is an amazing romhack of 4, doing shit you wouldn't think possible.

I think you're missing out on a lot. Beat Mega Man 2 to get a good taste for it. If you don't like Mega Man 2, it's not for you (not that it's the best one, but it's definitely the most accessible, and probably has the best music).

I think they're really great, and they still hold up.

2 = 3 = 4 = SNES MM&B > 5 = 6 = 9 = 10 = 7 > 1 = 8
X1 = X2 = tentatively X4 (not as good as X1/X2 but better on the scale than the others) > X3 = X6 = X8 > X5 = X7
Z4 > Z2 > Z1 > Z3 but Z3 gets points for having some great music
ZX = ZXA, both are probably about equal to Z2
BN3 = BN6 > BN2 = BN5 > BN1 = BN4
Don't care for Legends, won't rate them
Command Mission is a great JRPG with a buttfuck stupid story
The arcade games (Power Battle/Power Fighter) are pretty good for what they are

Unlimited is bloody fantastic and ranks among my highest tier for Classic (especially since they added charge shots in a patch and it doesn't at all unbalance the game despite being built around normal shots and sliding MM3-style) but you should also follow 's advice about Minus Infinity

X5 is not broken enough to be on the level of X7.

Not broken but it sure is fucking boring and X and Zero's AI is absolute rock stupid for what's supposed to be a climactic final boss. Inafune had this problem later with Omega Zero in Z3 too, rock-stupid AI but a great song and a lot of buildup, even if Zero's body being a fake was probably something he came up with at the last second

It's still not on the level of X7. X7 is almost bad enough to be Mega Man's Sonic '06. It is on its own level of awfulness for the franchise, especially if we're talking the English version.

I was in your shoes until about a year ago. I went and started marathoning a bunch of the games in order. Got all the way up to Legends, and liked them all. But the X games were starting to wear on me and I wasn't able to make myself begin X5. Don't get me wrong, the original X is great, and X2. But I don't care for the emphasis on a story that I don't care for becoming more and more central, and I don't enjoy Zero's gameplay, or Zero as a character in general. I guess i could just not play as Zero, but I want the full story. And I hear X5 has branching stories, in addition to different stories for X and Zero? How many times will I have to beat it to see the whole story? Triggers my autism too hard for a series that I'm already growing tired of.

The original series is fantastic, though, and I've played all of them. I can't recommend them enough. People say they're all the same, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Each one adds just enough to make it feel like the series is evolving, without breaking what came before. They are similar, but I like it, so why wouldn't I want more of it? The plots are fun without being stupid melodrama like X, too. I suppose some people would like the more complex gameplay of X, where you have to collect more things and do more backtracking and exploring, but the original series delivers great platforming and shooting without those distractions.

Don't forget to play the handheld games. They fit seamlessly with the NES games, and are all definitely worthy entries. Even the WonderSwan one.

Legends is a very different beast but now I get why it has such a great reputation. I have to get to Tron Bonne and Legends 2 soon. But I might as well finish the next couple X games first.

Even the racing game on PS1 is a really solid game for its genre. And Rockboard is a fun monopoly like party game if you can get people to play it with you.

Mechanically and size-wise, Legends 2 has huge improvements over the first game.

It's like a shitty metroid. Would not recommend.

Die, Maverick.

It's another platforming shooter that trades exploration for much, much better platforming and shooting. Linearity isn't a bad thing.

I've tried out all those classic NES games and I can understand the appeal of Super Mario, Contra, Castlevania etc but not Megaman.

I'd say it's honestly quite close to Castlevania but with more ranged combat and much better platforming.

This.

Pleb detected.

I'll agree it's absolutely abysmal but I think X5 is about as bad as it on the grounds that it has a weirdass time-limit (that doesn't actually matter unless you revisit stages a lot), fucking horrid special weapons (Almost all of X's weaponry is flat-out useless or a Classic reference, Zero's weaponry is almost exclusively a retread of his X4 weaponry but in fairness it's hard to come up with interesting abilities for him that don't pan out to what X4 came up with in different flavors; even MMZ games largely reuse uppercut-downward stab-dash attack that X4 gave), starting out with all armor abilities if choosing to start out as X and only being able to charge special weapons with Ultimate Armor if you don't have the starter armor, and the aforementioned abysmal AI when fighting another "Mega Man"-type character. Also the Zero Space segments in general, awful bosses and Quick Man's stage sticks out like a sore thumb due to the different design philosophies between X gameplay and Classic gameplay- most importantly the screen-transition in Classic, which makes Quick Man's instadeath lasers a fucking nightmare to navigate when those aren't present

The X series should've stopped at 4. The next four games range from poor to abominable.

This.
I found X5 to be borderline unplayable, and everyone has said things only get worse from there.

X6 is shitty but only because it's blatantly unfinished, has the best music in the PS1 trilogy and it has a lot of interesting ideas even if they primarily reprise X5's. X7 is abominable and X8 is a step in the right direction, but mediocre. I did quite like X8's Zero weaponry though.

X6 is abominable, X7 somehow even worse, and X8 back to poor. None of them are worth your time; play the Zero or ZX games instead.

I've already played the GBA Zero games, and ZX. ZX Advent is another one I've heard is awful, though I have a copy of it that I picked up at a yard sale for $5 a year ago. Is there any differences with the DS Zero collection?

Let's just stop bullshitting ourselves that 90s games are still relevant in any way other than nostalgia.

90% of video games from that era are fundamentally flawed in ways that no modern game, even made by the most nostalgia-riding hipster indie devs ever, could ever faithfully reproduce.

I liked ZX Advent, but it is very different from most other Mega Man games.

Have you played any of the MM fangames? All of them are better than Mighty No. 2.

ZX Advent is mostly just different, not really any better or worse than ZX. Zero Collection has an easy mode for all games, a mode where you play all four in sequential order, and for Z3 it has the e-Reader cards available as bonuses. Most are piddly effects like +1 to saber power or inconsequential stuff like a cyber-elf implied to be Elpizo popping up in Resistance Base.

Thanks, I'll probably put ZXA up higher on my backlog.
For fan games I've played MM Unlimited and one that is a MM game with a female robot, Rokko chan or something. Both were decent. I've been meaning to play the 2.5D one and MM Maker.

Haven't even heard of a 2.5D one. Mega Maker is odd since it's quite limited, and doesn't actually have to be. I'm assuming it's from aping Mario Maker where you have a limited amount of assets to work with from SMB1/SMB3/SMW/NSMBU, but even so you get oddities like Robot Masters appearing as selectable bosses but no corresponding weapon to pick from (ie you can set Bomb Man as the stage's boss but don't have Hyper Bomb selectable as a special weapon). Also no custom content, so you can't make a full-fledged Mega Man game out of it, just the one-off level using a hodgepodge of NES game assets. Only custom content are the "Nado" and "Shine" abilities, based off of Meta Knight's neutral-B and Fox's reflector from Super Smash Bros.

For what Mega Maker's worth though there's already been a goodly amount of creativity made with it.

Still 9% better compared to this era.

Going off what I played
Classic: Play 2 and 3, and see whether or not you liked those enough to play through 4, 5, 6(they're pretty much the same thing with a bit of improvements here and there), 7 is pretty good, 8 is meh. Haven't played 9 or 10.
X: X1 through X6. Personally speaking I think X5 and X6 are simultaneously the peaks and bottoms of the series.
Legends: Both+Misadventures of Tronne.
I really wanted to marathon through the zero and ZX series since those are the ones I haven't played, but my controller just happened to break at the end of Misadventures and I haven't bothered getting another one.
Also I'm surprised by the amount of unfinished Mega Man X fangames. There was one with multi directional shooting that added this super cool 180 switch after dashing that as far as I know has been dead for like two years now.

And 90% of modern games are either bugged to hell, casual trash, feminist multicultural fantasies or very mediocre with unjustified price.
That's not mentioning dlcs and microtransactions scam.

I hate Mega Man. He ruins everything.

Speaking of picking from a wide selection of weapons, The Wily Wars on Genesis is mostly a remake of the first three games, but then has like half a game's worth of content unlockable if you beat all three games. And in that content, you get to pick your loadouts for each level from all the weapons and abilities in the first three games. It's really cool and I'd say makes the game worth playing even if you've already beaten the original three.