RPG Circlejerk General and Discussion Extravaganza: Overly Lengthy Subtitle HD Remix

Have a favorite RPG, Holla Forums?
WRPG?
JRPG?
Traditonal?
Modern?
Anything you're looking forward to?
Any dead series you'd want back?
I've been playing a lot of SNES and PS1 RPGs that I've missed out on recently and so far I've been thoroughly enjoying the Breath of Fire series which some of you have recommended, these underrated gems. Don't worry, I plan on touching Suikoden and Xenogears at some point too. Let out your thoughts on stories, worlds, characters, etc in RPGs. Discussion is welcome for both newer and older games.

So I've been wondering. Is there any reason why JRPGs when making the shift to the PS1 go from having 4 party members to 3? From what I've seen FF7 does this, as well as BoF3 and Chrono Cross when other games on the PS1 will have more. Even some series that start on PS1 only allow 3 while having later entries that move on to having 4. Is this just a design choice or are some games in the way they're made unable to support 4 party members?

FF9 has 4 party members and it's a clusterfuck with the long animation times.

Anyone else playing UnderTale now that it's out?

Get out.
That reminds me about being excited for it, years before it's release, maybe months after it's announcement. Back before Toriel even had a name and was simply referred to as Goatmom… Too bad almost immediately after it came out it happened to muster up a cancerous fanbase and ruined all interest I had for it. I haven't even touched the game because of the incessant obsession and reddit-tier memes. But, thanks to them, it doesn't look like I missed out on much… Did I?

MegaTen and Persona games used to have parties of 5 or 6, then they got reduced to 4 to accommodate gimmicks in battle. Sad!

If you can isolate any pretense of meaning from what the cancer was screaming the game was about, you did.

I'll just leave this here.

I played the game for just over 2 hours, its okay, not even good or anything but the bad thing is that the characters are kind of annoying and the looks like absolute ass. It wasnt even really interesting enough to get me to play it for any longer either. Play mother 3 or Lisa instead, those games are similar but way more fun to play.

Sounds like I was right into thinking that everyone in UnderTale has a meme personality or is a joke as a character. I've played Mother 3 and absolutely loved it, which in turn made it harder to get into the slower, clunkier, Earthbound/Mother 2, after getting the best end of it. LISA is already on my list, but I'm still going through older games that I was recommended.

I'm pretty sure it started with Chrono Trigger and found it's way into other Squaresoft games like FF7 and Xenogears because of the shared staff. Other devs copied it, but I'm pretty sure 4 was still the standard.

should i give this game a go again?

Gets kinda tedious halfway through, so I never finished it. Dark Cloud 2 is better.

Phantasy star >>>>> Final Fantasy
Try and prove me wrong.

Phantasy Star 4 is one of the best 16-bit RPGs, but the previous games aren't that great.

my nigger, what an amazing fun game.

That and Tales of Radiata.

what the fuck do you need that for?

Because discussions rarely happen anymore

I came here to check.

Nice digits though

Nail on the head.

No talk of WRPGs at all?

If you wanna discuss a WRPG, then just discuss a WRPG. You don't need permission.

I guess I was just hoping someone would have some WRPG recommendations that I haven't seen before.

Have you guys played the quintet-enix snes trilogy?

What a bunch of fun games

Tidus is a cute girl

Picked up FFT again, because hey, fuck free time.

Wizardry, Ultima, and Might & Magic if you haven't heard of those. Wizardry is the series that happened to inspire most JRPGs.

What's to play on PS1 except for vagrant story, persona and suikoden?

SaGa Frontier 1 & 2
Breath of Fire 3 & 4
Xenogears
Chrono Cross
The PS1 is so littered with RPGs, I don't know how you could only think of 3. Aside from Final Fantasy I'd highly recommend the Breath of Fire series, even the ones SNES. You don't really need to play them in order, but I'd recommend doing it anyway as they gradually get better.

Shit, the way I structured that makes it look like I'm recommending Final Fantasy. I don't.

The main reason why later games had reduced number of party members was because you could switch between them and having too many of them at once would make your party "complete".
FF7 with its materia system and FF8 with its junction system allowed a lot of customization so the party limit was reduced to 3 but FF9 had predefined jobs for characters on top of story based exclusions so the limit was raised to 4.

Played Anvil of Dawn and Albion?
If you have the patience of a saint then theres also Soulbringer.

Not especially, as the most recent systems I have are a Wii, PS3, and Vita, and the former two have pretty much been abandoned at this point by developers. Got a big enough backlog as is anyhow.
Yes in years past, but as of now, no. Not if they're just going to see potential new games be shitty reboots for mobile phones, as has been happening with a number of older series where the publishers smell money to be had, but seem to figure they can get more out of the mobileshitters than the actual fans of the console/handheld entries at this point. Better remain peacefully dead than reanimated as a mobile zombie.
Add Wild Arms and Shadow Hearts series to that backlog if you haven't played them yet. Really loved both of them myself.

As said, the PS1 had a LOT of them, maybe due in part to how Nintendo pissed off a good bit of their prior third party devs during fifth gen, leading to some like Square and Capcom jumping over to Sony for the time being.

Also, to append what says about Breath of Fire, if playing the SNES one, make sure you play Breath of Fire II with the fan retranslation patch. The official English script for the SNES version is notoriously shit, and the GBA version lazily reused it (I highly doubt Capcom was unaware of the reputation of the existing English script; meanwhile Square was opting to tweak their scripts for the GBA ports and remakes at the same time).

I've been meaning to, but my backlog's pretty damn big as is. Still got them downloaded though for safekeeping (and Terranigma patched for 60mhz).

True, they don't happen all that much. But there was an RPG thread, JRPG specific anyhow, in the last week or two. And checking those quints.

I mean this in the sense it would come back in the best way possible and be faithful to the series.

Also thanks for mentioning the retranslation, I had forgot about the trash original one.

Well sure, I'd like that to happen. But again, if not for mobile enthusiasts, some of these publishers just don't seem to have enough faith in the existing fanbases for various now-dead/dormant series to deem it worth their time to continue them in the prior format they'd had. Really wish it wasn't the case. Especially with fucking Sony; they own your own line of systems, and your own series of games, yet instead of making new entries for said systems, they forgo that for the mobile crowd?

I'm honestly a bit surprised Bamco gave CC2 clearance to make Last Recode, considering how Sword Art Online has usurped its predecessor's spot as Namco's "MMO-sim RPG". Makes me wonder if maybe Guilty Dragon didn't do too well, and that they're testing the waters for more actual games to do something with the franchise instead of continually sit on it.