Grand Strategy Games /gsg/

Grand Strategy Games

Archive

pastebin.com/stLT1bVc

pastebin.com/dTCRqZuN

randomcountry.gbasood.net/

This Day in History, August 12th

Other urls found in this thread:

oldforum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?592658-(MOD)-Occultus-Orbis-Terrestre
mediafire.com/file/gab9iy17aeazji5/OOT 1.3.1.rar
steamcommunity.com/id/KieranFox
dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-60-the-celtic-holocaust/
hoi3wiki.com/Logistics_strategy
file-upload.net/download-12670696/geheimnisnacht-oldworld.zip.html
volafile.org/get/eYNN-Twpk4gC/eu3 map OOT 1.3.1.rar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Havent see much discussion about Stellaris. Playing my first game for some time, I havent reached the late game, but for the moment, game looks good enought. Even if Paradox havent bothered to put enought content for late game, it still isnt a excuse to not talk about this game, while that piece of shit of HoI4 is talked here from time to time…

Is there any guides or helping info for Stellaris? Any recommended mods for it? (Already using mods to expand goverment/ethics and traits, and other stuff) Any species of your creation you wanna share? your favourite starting weaponry? And your favourite FTL travel?

Pic semi-unrelated.

So what do you prefer, Darkest Hour, or HoI3? I consider DH superior due to the big mod support it have, good event/policies mechanics.

People talk about Stellaris occasionally in the space thread
also Lasers / Wormholes

I made a meme

DH. Hearts of Iron 3 comes nowhere close.

Very nice. You should've fiddled with the demense limit too, but still good. Saved.

If you made this then why did I already see it in the last thread?

i think its been slightly modified, like chad's religion being his own face.

Any good GSGs that run well on toasters, besides Aurora? The Paradox ones run fine early game, but slow way the fuck down before long.

For fuck’s sake, I play like Chad. It’s perfectly possible to do as long as you’re consistent and unwavering in your assassination of anyone who complains about you.

Darkest Hour, Crusader Kings 1, Europa Universalis 1,2/For the Glory and Victoria 1 should all run fine on toaster. AGEOD games should run on toaster as well since they only utilize 1 core so if you have at least Pentium 4 you should be fine.

Define toaster.
I used to be able to run Vicky II and EU3 albeit a bit slow on my old 2005 laptop.

Is EU3 still considered to be better than EU4?

Does anyone have about them an old EU3 mod called OOT (Occultus Orbis Terrestris).

Parakikes have apparently purged all EU3 mods from the forums and I can't find an alternate download anywhere…heck besides the ones on the mega folder the internet seems to have been scoured of EU3 mods.

dude
are you sure
are you really sure
you should aim for 4x?
oldforum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?592658-(MOD)-Occultus-Orbis-Terrestre
mediafire.com/file/gab9iy17aeazji5/OOT 1.3.1.rar

I am not sure what "aim for 4x" means but if you mean play EU4, no thanks. I tried and it's shit. Thanks for that forum link though, exactly what I wanted.

I'm waiting for a decent total conversion mod with colonised galaxy to come out. It's one of the biggest things that separate 4X from GSG, imo – unequal start where different nations already have different foothold in the game.

Both wormholes and hyperlanes are fine, but warpdrive is a piece of shit due to Parajews overbalancing.

DH. Mostly because of the events and decisions keeping things flavourful.

Looking real good, Kavkaz-chan. user's HIP edits soon.
Provinces don't look so bad either, managed to steamline a few as not to make them too small, everything's nice and smooth.

To do: Only a few provinces to balance (either too many/too few holdings), a Romaniote jew culture and events for Byzzie since those fuckers played a big part on the ERE's economy and also needa integrate all the new cultures to pre-existing bonuses, strategies and events.

For reference, this is the vanilla HIP caucasus

Does anyone have that Vicky II mod that lets me straight up kill political dissidents? These communist revolutions wouldn't be such a problem for my country if they were met with boots to their necks before they organized.

I want that too. to already have a empire build from the start, or to have premade scenarios with fixed nations. Just more like your typical GSG, as you said.

yes. institutions completly fucked the game.

*if you manage to make them work without crashing

EU3 has better mechanics, EU4 has more content. Heavily modded EU4 seems to hit the sweet spot for me, although even mods haven't dealt with institution cancer properly yet

EU3 is better in every possible way.

You've got autism my dude, but the good kind.

I started a Charlemagne game as the count of Ostfriesland and worked my way to king of Friesland. What do I do so that my Karling neighbors don't bully me.

I wouldn't call dozens of versions of a "Press button, receive bonus" mechanic "content".

Havent played IV, but seeing the game and its expansions, I cant see any big or notable positive improvement. Better stay with the more complete III.

the improvements
the "improvements"

Eu3 is still better in my opinion although the only thing keeping from completely abandoning eu4 is the classical antiquity mods.

*keeping me

Is there any good mod for Victoria 2 out there? I just don't like the ones in the OP and the ones not listed are fucking shit.

Blood and Iron seems fun. Played the usual "muh Prussia" game and then a Japan play through. At least there's nothing incredibly wrong with it so you wont do worse than vanilla.

If you don't like those might as well just stop playing.

The Silver

Concert of Europe looks cool, I've never tried it though.

1933 start as nationalist china is such a bullshit holy shit
its full of "fuck you" events

It's alright.

It's historically accurate though.

What are you doing, nigger? Nice Africa though

don't forget the core and claim mechanic. I always felt like that was a pretty massive improvement

Stellaris is a meme game fun the first ten hours, boring the rest.

Only fun thing about the game is (six months ago, when I played), downloading alphamod and all the ship mods, some meme mods, some shipsets and roleplaying.

I could write entire thesis about how much parajews fucked themselves in the ass during design phase with bad design decision after bad design decision.

I still have hope that if I wait three more years or so, Stellaris will finally be playable.

Damn you've got endurance, I only managed to endure it for 1 hour.

Can you shit on the game please?
I like to read why the game is shit.

For one, the lack of any "context" makes it a really really boring GSG. With EUIV you have context, you know that the Emperor of the HRE shouldn't be Nubian and that's funny. With Stellaris you don't get these moments because every faction is a blank slate.

Secondly, the balance is all fucked. For the longest time, the most effective ship in the game was the "naked corvette", meaning the ship you start the game with, because you were able to spam it endlessly and just zerg down the AI.

combat is fucked overall - balance is all over the place and there's almost no randomness to it – got a bigger stack? Then you won without a doubt. AI is acting really, really retarded when it comes to moving its fleets and is downright pathetic with troop invasions. There's absolute fuck-all to do during mid and late game due to low amount of events and missions, all the micro being handled by AI, and no historical roleplay like in GSGs due to all factions being blank slate. Literally all you do mid and late game is:
with barely anything to do in between, maybe except ethnically cleansing ayys, but that can also only last you so long before it becomes repetitive and annoying. Paracucks keep adding content, but the bulk of it is "wait for the meter to fill to get a bonus" which doesn't solve the problem, as it's again just waiting and doing fuck all. Stellaris desperately needs some decent peace-time mechanics that would keep you busy and that would make maintaining a gigantic empire actually difficult, as right now you'd have to actively sabotage it for something to go awry in internal politics. That and somebody competent fixing the fucking combat already. I think they rewrote the thing once or twice now, yet whenever they fix one issue, they create a different one in the process.

I think the biggest sin they made, however, was marketing is as a GSG/4X hybrid, and then putting in equal fucking start, which automatically disqualifies it from being a GSG. Give me a pre-made galaxy with already existing empires, some lore behind them, and I might actually force myself to last more than 10 hours in Stellaris.

I'm surprised nobody seems to have been following the Dev Diaries lately, even if its just for the sake of keeping up to date on the fucked up situation that is EUIV:

They are reworking the Middle East, adding tons of new countries/tribes to the map there. That should at least be interesting for that one guy here who had Caucasus autism.

Are any of them non-muslim areas? If not then it isn't that interesting.

Uh… Armenia and Georgia are Christian of course.
They're also adding the last remnant of the Avars (Yea, the guys who rule Hungary in the Charlie Start) to the map. That's sorta neat.

They are also adding new trade goods appropriate to the region, like gems, glass and paper.

Thats just sad.

What about Endless Space 2?
Whats your opinion on that?
From my experience its peace time mechanics are: BUILD-MORE-STUFF

Main problems with Stellaris:

It sucks. Managing pops on individual tiles is a horrible idea for a real time 4x game. It's bad enough in turn based 4x games like Civ, in Stellaris there is no point beyond being tedious. The game needs to completely scrap tiles and just let you gear planets to producing certain things. There's also a host of other problems involving how migration, happiness, etc works. They made sectors to "fix" the micro problem by letting the AI take control, but sectors are horrible shit that have never worked well.

They went with a tech tree where you can only select 1 of 3-5 random techs that are drawn each time you finish a tech. This means that there is no way to guarantee that certain techs appear quickly. Due to this, virtually no techs in the game can actually be interesting or balance-altering because then whoever rolled better tech selections would automatically win. Instead 90% of techs in the game are completely mediocre or worthless. The few that actually are important are hard-coded with "if anyone in the universe researches this, everyone is likely to get it immediately" clauses. The tech system needs to be completely scrapped, they should have copied MoO1 or 2.

Stellaris is fucking fucked up due to how FTL is actually far quicker than in-system movement. This means that it's literally impossible to do anything other than doomstacking, if you try to "raid" enemy planets then your ships in the middle of a system will always be caught by an enemy FTLing to them than they can FTL out of the system. So the whole game devolves into doomstack->kill enemy fleet->you've won the war and need to spend a few years occupying planets to prove the fact to the AI so they give up. It also leads to the whole universe just feeling way too small, you can cross the largest size universes before an enemy fleet can do anything at all to your economy.

The game is a poster child for "bigger is always better". Like, in Civ 1-3 everyone REXed, spamming cities ASAP and covering the map. In Civ 4 they fixed this (they then fucked up for Civ 5+, but that's besides the point). Stellaris is basically Civ 1 but worse, there's virtually nothing you can do to specialize planets beyond just building your normal buildings. Even taking absurdly shitty colonies is better than not colonizing them. They made megastructures to try to fix this, but because the dev team is so bad at understanding how easy it is to blob they decided to make the megastructures unlock after any decent player could have conquered the galaxy (bearing in mind you need decades just to build one of them that will make no real difference).

Upgrading every indvidual building sucks. Exploration sucks. Microing the stupid leaders that provide +5% to random bullshit sucks. Virtually everything you actually spend time doing in Stellaris sucks.

how does one change government type in victoria 2? I'm playing as finland with hpm mod and I want to stop being constitutional monarchy, so that I can create greater finland

If you want to be an absolute monarchy you need to get collapsed by reactionary rebels, or get a high enough % of reactionaries in your upper house to repeal all voting

How will you manage all the different dates? Do you only care about bookmarks?

What?

so how to do either one of those fast?

Oh goodie, break the big countries in the region so Ottoblob can expand even faster.
On the bright side the new trade resources are nice.

Th-Thanks, y-you too.

The new provinces are subject to change (in-game) when selecting a date/bookmark, just as with the rest of the game. Stuff will keep happening, it's not like the places is gonna keep still, though it's a small area so don't expect much; the biggest event is of course the arrival of the Mongol Hordes, there's some other minor stuff like the fragmentation of Serir in the early 1100's and the rise of Gazi-Kumukh in the second half of the 13th century.
I'm striving to be as realistic as possible.

What is it user, don't you wanna be the Çaxh of the Serirazul Çaxhlhi? Or the Bjächa of the Nakhs?

Eh, in my EU4 edits those two provinces were east and western Circassia I think. It's alright I guess.
It's alright I guess, should have a small access to Georgia though, through the Darial pass.
That one seems alright.
Alright too.
Think that place was built in the 1700's, could be wrong though, I suppose Kumykia could be more fitting. Thing is: Nobody knows shit about that place prior to the 1400's, not even the Kumyks themselves.
That one should've been Derbent, Daghestan is actually an abstract term that was applied to the whole NE Caucasian highlands (Sometimes the Caspian lowlands too), which was NEVER a politically united entity.

The Armenian Highlands and the Assyrian core territories seem alright though, should have WAY more provinces IMO, but that's just because I'm a fucking autist. Sadly I've given up on EU4, let's see what the VeF dudes are gonna do with it though.

Most of it should be non-muslim. Circassia was pretty much pagan until the arrival of Genoese missionaries in the 13-14th century, and Islam had only penetrated the Lakia area in the 800's. Khundzia remained a syncretic clusterfuck of Paganism, post-Caucasian Albanian Christianism and Islam well until the renaissance. Though Lakia and Tarki succumbed to Islam thanks to the aid of the Emirs of Derbend and the Shirvanshahs.
Alania was a mix of Christianity (mainly Orthodox/Greek rites) and Folk Paganism inherited from the Scythians.
The Armenian highlands were pretty much Christian until the turks decided to genocide Armenians in the early 20th century.
And Diyarbakir, Mardin, Hisn Kayfa were Assyrian core territories, where the Assyrians of old used to live; upper Mesopotamia had a BIG population of Assyrians up until the arrival of Tamerlane, which of course like the good turk he was genocided them all, Kurds took their place.

Nah, those aren't the Pannonian Avars, the Caucasian Avars are a completely different people with no relation to turkic tribes from Turania. They also speak a pre-Indo European language, which makes their ethno-genesis even more confusing; if anything, they're related to Chechens more than anything else. The NE Caucasus is a clusterfuck of different ethnicities, dialects and languages. Seriously, look at pic related.
In fact, the Avars of old were kinda butthurt about the so called 'Pseudo-Avars' ransacking the Balkans, their Göktürk suzerains even wrote a few letters to the Emperor of the ERE in order to address this confusion as they were their subjects and probably didn't want to start some meaningless war in the bumfuck of nowhere.

Do one for HoI 4

Any DH mods that make the game challenging?

Don't ever associate your reddit memelord selfie with us.

am I on Holla Forums?

Absolute monarchy only allows conservative, liberal and reactionary parties. None of which have Jingoism in Finland. You need to let communist, fascist or anarcho-liberal rebels win. See my post in the last thread.

Bullshit. The last traces of those end with the coming of magyars in– nvm this user beat me to it.

I don't play 4X in general too much because of it. But at least the rest of the genre doesn't pretend to somehow be a GSG.

This would make me enjoy these space strategy games more. I really can't be arsed to like the 4X formula, atleast in its pure form. Context is the key to make variables interesting for me. Stellaris tries to do that more than for example Distant Worlds, but fucks it up among almost everything else.

But fictional setting would need some top notch world building and even then it might fail to interest large part of the potential players. "Real" history is in that sense easy mode; they can just slap some caricatures in the shape of real countries and cultures and it's already more meaningful than petri dish bacteria 4X empires.

Seeing as though Otto can curbstomp its neighbors regardless of their size them being broken up requires more wars. This might actually slow them down.

I have to agree. Its one of the reasons I liked SoaSE so much over all the MoO clones out there. A good 4x should have enough going on to rival GS in complexity, but I feel that Stellaris occupies an uncomfortable middle ground where its both a poor 4x and weak GSG.

They lacked the vision and courage to break away from the standard space strategy formula and do their own thing, but also the talent to hybridize these two approaches properly so the game would start as exploration and expansion and morph into proper gsg like gameplay. I don't think the dev team really knew what they were doing.

At the start of the game several AI are chosen to be stronger and several are chosen to be weaker, and there are also a few fallen empires which are absurdly strong but don't do anything important You can design your own race, but due to the same fundamental issues prevalent in all paradox GSG your customization is meaningless, exacerbated by the presence of a 'win condition' that you are not allowed to achieve until late game due to artificial limits, which is actually where the games flaws truly originate from.
Your three options to win all revolve around owing territory. You must have a majority, either through your federation or your own personal conquering. As with all paradox games, diplomacy is reduced to a number largely based off whether they like or hate you, rather than examining their wants and needs, your threat level etc. As people naturally get giant negatives to disliking you, making it impossible to vassalize or add them to your federation, you have no choice but to conquer.
Combat is largely a numbers game, with some minor elements to punish you for a lack of diversity in your ships. You have three weapon types, rockets, lasers and projectiles, and they come in three sizes. These are attached to specific loadouts. For example, a ship might have an artillery loadout, which allows 1 large weapon of any type. Attached to this a number of slots for shield, armour and power, with enough power needed for your weapons and shielding and the remainder of slots being filled by armour. Different weapons are stronger or weaker against shield and armour. When you finish and produce a unit, it comes out with a number, basically a summation of its overall strength. Typically speaking, so long as you have two weapon types, your opponents defenses will never strongly play into the game.
One very glaring issue with combat is the way ships fight. When engaging an enemy, they fly into as close range as possible, with the exception of maybe one ship type. The range benefit of some weapons over others, most notably missiles, is quickly lost. You also have no way to control your military. There are no tactics or orders, just two large numbers slapping together. While it has fluctuated with time, the best strategy has multiple times devolved into 'build one ship type'.
If there had been simplistic tactics and a weight limit with unrestricted attachments instead of specific components, there would have been much more room for builds of different kinds. I am forced to compare it with a game called Space Empires IV, in which you can put practically any component onto any ship so long as it can support the weight. Your battleships can be colony ships, and you can arm your transports with guns or just load them up with transport space. Likewise, you are not limited on your point defence, shields and armour in that game, which would allow you to make ships specifically for the purpose of defending against missiles.
So what do you do in Stellaris if the combat is just deathstacks and the diplomacy is shallow? Well most of the game is spent building up your colonies and researching anomalies. What are anomalies? The games random events to make things interesting. Most of the time they provide you with boosts to your research or resources, but sometimes they can start quest chains and events that allow you to… get research and resources. Sometimes they don't even do that. What's worse is these events rarely tell you what their outcome is. While in CK2 and EUIV the game typically tells you the benefits or risks of clicking one button over the other, Stellaris will typically keep you blind on information vital to decision making. And this continues throughout the game, to the end game events, where to "keep the game interesting" giant enemy forces are all but spawned somewhere in the galaxy to conquer a bunch of stuff until they die of attrition. Almost none of these events are well-implemented. Some can end a 20+ hour game on a whim. Often your allies won't even help you, because it is not seen as a 'war'.
When you are given the choice to customize your race at the start of your game, you may think you are spoiled for choice. There are so many options. But when you get down to it, the +10% credit choices you make don't matter in the scheme of a long game. You can't play a pirate, you can't play a trade empire, you can't head a federation (well you can but all it does is give you an army), all you can do is blob and conquer.

Yeah that's painfully obvious with the way that their development has been them simply checking off whatever suggested feature is popular on their forums at the moment, regardless of how they actually fit into the balance of the game. The way megastructures were handled is a good example of this. They're actually a decent idea in theory but with the problems the game has with pacing and balance they're largely cosmetic options that you undertake after you've gotten bored of blobbing.

Paradox HAS to have a turkroach fetish, it's incredible.
Completely historical and believable.

Edge of Darkness. It's a lot more challenging than the regular game, and it also has optional events for Seelöwe and Barbarossa that radically ups the difficulty. It's also the only mod where China doesn't get BTFO by Japan wifthin three years or so.

You think?

Somalia and Pakistan are oddly weak in EU4, though.
Ethiopia tho

I'm copypasting and badly editing together some comments I wrote some time ago about it.

What

Said applies. But there's more that's wrong with the game. I'm on mobile, I wish I could post the mockups I made for fun to illustrate what I'm going to say. Namely, the UI style it could have used, taking elements from the other games they've made.

But the main problem Stellaris has, is clearly born in the first design draft, when they decided to use the pop and tile system. They didn't account for AI.

They decided on a tile system over other ones that have proven to work and been complete successes in former games. But game design (any kind of design, really) it's a balancing act. They lost the depth a more conventional system could give (vic2 style pops, CKII holdings linear style, the shallower eu4 style for special buildings like capital or frontier hospital, or ideally a combination of the 3)… They thought this system could be more interesting, since it's completely based on choice, and is non-linear, strategic, and long-term

I'm not going to go into a detailed analysis of pros and cons of every system, so I'll center in AI.

The way to make it have depth comparable to any of those systems would be to add large tile and planet modifiers, as well as making adjacencies and strategic resources important. The problem is that it quickly becomes micromanagement clickfest hell, so to avoid that they unloaded it into the AI. The problem is that AI technology as it is now, is just godawful at strategic non-linear choice weighting and is incapable of good long-term thinking, at least without devoting extreme amounts of computing power, and it's not going to change in the near future. Now, for a video game with many AI controlled entities, more systems to weight, adding that kind of system is computationally impossible. At least making it work the way they want. So it has to be simplified.

Also they'd have to develop a new AI system from scratch, which they didn't because that's fantastically expensive.

For comparison: eu4's system isn't very deep, is linear and doesn't require much attention. The AI can't screw it up, since there are no 'bad' choices, there's just sub optimal ones.

CK2 is much of the same, no bad choices when developing holdings, but it's much deeper with the linear upgrades. The AI doesn't need many computing power to make a half-decent choice.

Victoria is the deeper system, but since you can't directly influence pops, it's clear the AI doesn't take it into account, and just checks for unemployment to build the most profitable factory. A simple, lightweight system which was pushing the boundaries of home computing power at the time.

(2/3)

On pops and depth:

Alphamod adds depth, but the amount it adds only using a couple new buildings and strategic resources is enormous. Add a couple of planet modifier mods and the depth becomes closer to CK2 and surpasses EU4. But the AI can't deal with it properly.

But I'm more interested in the implementation of pops. They are THE best part of Victoria 1, and 2. In stellaris since a planet has normally around 16-20 tiles, with a discrete building that either works or doesn't, a pop represents a billion people (8 on earth on game start). The size i think is not ideal. It is too big to matter militarily, with a normal level of mobilization a pop can make a hundred million man armies, so manpower is not represented because it's way below the scale. With the way it works now,a pop is a discrete billion people of one species living in a place together, with the same exact ideology, same happiness, working on one thing and one thing only.

This is not how populations work, and takes away depth of multispecies planets, the existance of house slaves… You will never have many xeno slaves in your capital, even when it would make sense for your population to have one or two at home as a status symbol and as menial workers, with the accompanying risk of revolt. Same goes for robots, you'd think the rich in your capital would have robots at home, that could turn into part of the AI revolt, making it more dangerous as it takes out the center of your bureaucracy and sends your empire into disarray. That is not currently simulated by mechanics, and it will never be under this system.

It also causes strange behaviors: migrations are disruptive, a billion people suddenly decide to move all to the same place, leaving 5% of the habitable surface of the planet uninhabited, it's like suddenly western Europe decided to move somewhere else, leaving the continent uninhabited. Also smaller planets can only have a limited number of species. A small six tile two blocker planet can only have three species and a pop of robots and then it's full, also making it completely static demographically.

When added to the tile system, since a full planet is a full planet, there's no overpopulation. W40k style hive worlds, or trillion inhabitant coruscant are impossible. If your neighbor is genociding a species and you want to accept them as refugees you can't if your planets are full. This eliminates a lot of potential for storytelling and emergent gameplay.

Earth has a max population in game of 18 billions. A quick calculation says that if only the cities of the world had the population density of hong kong (only the cities because they are already inhabitable and buildable) we'd have 25 billion people, with the rest of the land area being uninhabited wilderness.

AI can't deal with graphic puzzles like the tile system they added in planets, so they have to keep them simple. But that takes away the depth of the economy, and makes pops into singular discrete entities of a billion people, who have the same ideology, eliminating most of the depth of the politics system. Population dynamics modelling is impossible due to being discrete, enormous entities and shallow economic and political systems, eliminating a lot of depth in that area. Now the only thing that is left is the combat. Although it certainly looks good, it's clear the engine is not designed for the kind of combat in the game, so it's janky, unbalanced and has weird behaviors. Now the only thing left os the diplomacy, but without anything else to stand on, it's never going to be interesting.

Without a complete rebuild of several core systems (namely the pop and tiles) its condemned to be the least deep game paradox has ever done. .

(3/3)

They had a game before where you gave a lot of control up to the AI. But when designing CKII they knew they were going to do that, and tailored the mechanics so the AI could handle them. The holding management is extremely linear, for example. Linear "no bad choices, just suboptimal ones" is where simple AIs do best

In stellaris they put the tile and pop system thinking they could represent development graphically like a puzzle, and create depth via adjacencies, planet modifiers and strategic tile resources. And you can see via mods that it can work and be fun, albeit in a shallow and gamey way. But AI technology as it exists now, needs enormous computing power to solve those kind of graphical puzzles with many modifiers, is slow at it, and makes lots of mistakes. Having thousands of them being constantly solved under changing conditions is just not possible for current or near future computers. So they have to reduce complexity, making it shallow and gamey. And even then it will run badly.

It's like they didn't consider AI at all when making the mechanics.

The flaws of stellaris are entirely on the design, no matter how much polish they add, how much content, it will be a shallow game, because it's limited by design decisions

Do anons edits for VeF works with 1.22?

Nope. Only for Mare Nostrum.

Jesus christ, the game is a complete failure

Mea culpa, I just can't keep track if all these marauding horse archering yurt niggers.

8/8

>>>Holla Forums

Why is /GSG/ the only thread worth visiting on this entire board?

Maybe it's because you can have an actual conversation here. The memes aren't so annoying and dubfags don't shit these threads for some reason.
I dare say we ACTUALLY play videogames in /gsg/.

Because brainlets avoid /gsg/ out of fear of history and maps.

somehow only generals are worth visiting. the rest of the board is shitposting.

i will bite, does anyone have a guide for aurora? that one with like 6 pages?

Because Mark is a Jew and a gaylord who didn't curb the influx of refugees from cuckchan and Reddit.

Also, it's not. Not anymore. Half the threads are Balkan niggery/La Plata xD xD xD shitposting now.

Im trying to play the concert of europe mod for vicky 2 as the grand colombia, but for some reason, whenever i start the game, the country starts with zero troops, zero prestige and zero industry, i check on the selection map before joining the game and i can see that it isnt supposed to be like that, i tried starting the game with other nations and then loading as the grand colombia but still it has zero in everything, anyone has any idea of what is going on?

Jesus, why is it that left wingers just can't make memes, the whole point of the medium is to be short and pithy, a picture that says a thousand words etc.
Instead you guys go for literal paragraphs of text in your autistic rage. "That will show those right wing goober grabblers"

Well what you could do is to try the experimental branch of mod (if you're not doing that already) if that doesn't work, try giving yourself a reasonable amount of troops, prestige and industry via console.

Are you autistic?
Id didnt even had to be made by leftist.
Im far right wing myself and i find those pics pretty funny, and their criticism of "le ebin grossegermanium screenshoots thread nr. 1488" is pretty valid too, im mean that shit is pretty stale after a while.

Grand strategies are the only games I still play so to me personally it's just that I can only relate to the people here and don't give a shit about anything else that's discussed on this place.

I wish, the rest of the board is just gaymergate circlejerking. This board could use some more fun.

your right, such epic memes like this one will no doubt go viral.
You even personally liked it!
Well that totally addressed the point i made about the "wordswordswords" problem that the meme and other leftist memes have.
And yes, far right wingers often make memes contemptuous of far right political causes and hate the idea of making south africa majority Boer.
Im with you their my fellow NAZI

They wont because they are not supposed too retard, they are aimed at small niche, a /gsg/ threads audience
I dont hate the idea, I just dislike another stale screenshoots of the same play trough done 500 times already
Its not interesting, its not innovative. Its just boring

Btw pretty nice Russia
Show religion map and i hope that you at least colonized west america

Has someone here tried to conquer (at least parts of) the USA as a state that's not South/Middle American?

*In Vicky 2

I have $60 I can but games for anyone here.
-has to be steam
-can but more than 1 game
-first one replies woth stwam username will get it.

i dont like the endless mega france or gros germany either tbh. But the meme is still bad a too wordy.
I warred fro some more stuff between some of the screen shots as you can see in Anatolia and reorganized china and vassalised Korea.
Forgot to screenshot it, but i think i was entirely orthodox as were my vassals, who all have rulers from my family. Except lower pakistan which still has some sunni that is being converted.

Nigga please, if you really want to get rid of 60$ buy something for yourself irl

Russian Australasian colonies. West coast of america was already colonies before i got to it, so i decided fixing the Balkans and ending china as a power were more useful.

steamcommunity.com/id/KieranFox

HO4 please

kek

sent ;)

Here is an old France to HRE game i did.

How did you joined HRE as France?

Here is an Austria Game

From memory you just need the electors to vote you as Emperor and you are sorted. Its actually kindof OP if you know what you are doing.

Ancient Manchu to Qing game i seen to have screenshots of.

I hate blobbing but that actually gives me idea for a decent colonial Qing play trough
But with the newest DLC it might be just too easy
maybe i should do a colonial grenada campaign

Wow what a coincidence, me too fellow storm weenie I love some stupid communist memes, fucking hungety black men us little hitlerfags can't even compete, so self criticism.

Wew laddy, you dont have to be a commie to hate stale memes about muh grossgermanium and another blobshits

Faggots are always communists, no matter how you think otherwise about yourself.

The new DLC is terribad, but there is something to said for a comfy colonial game with no real effort to win. Best put on a nice podcast while you do it though.
I normally put on alex jones for preference, he's crazy, but a surprisingly entertaining.

Freudian slip or projection? Nobody said anything about faggots

While we are on topic listening to podcast while playing /gsg/ is pretty patrician tier
Ive been looking for some decent podcast for some time now, do you have any decent recommendations besides humble water filer salesman?

You are the faggot who likes communist reddit memes, I know you must be having a hard time understanding this, but try to keep up what is happening and also understand that sage isn't downboat.

That's a pretty neat Mongolia you have there.

I sage because offtopic and because i feel like it suck my cock

Canadian and a furry, shameful.

Lol

I really hope this isnt your account user

Molyneux can be good, A guy called argent on youtube does some good scify pol-sci videos ive been getting into. Apparently the will of fire is kinda fascist that sorta stuff. Steven Crowder if you wanna know what normalfag conservatives think. Also Fash the Nation is decent.

And I'm not the one liking reddit communist memes that get reposted by jaded communist queers all the time, stop projecting your own embarrassment.

Too cucked for me
I cant really listen to TRS stuff after the whole Enoch drama anymore tbh.
I guess ill just stick to audiobooks

download storm of steel, its great

Here is a stellaris game only have screenshots from the middle of the game to when i gave up.
I released all the none human majority world under human minority control vassals at the end.

Listen to Ghost

If you want history, there's always Dan Carlin.
dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-60-the-celtic-holocaust/

how do you get this big without dying of boredom halfway through?

That seems pretty nice, ill check it out

listening to podcasts man. Its comfy

Are we posting songs about Moscow now?

just ones about the mongols lust for moscow

Can I get a TLDR of this?
hoi3wiki.com/Logistics_strategy
In HOI3 when I build logistics improvement, It's not necessary to build in every single province? Do I creat sort of like a line from one province to the other?

I really liked his series about the mongols.

the more infrastructure a province has, the more supplies it can haul at once.So, for example, you can build a long snake of high infrastructure provinces towards the front that will haul great maounts of supplies, and then have some smaller snakes that will go from there to smaller detachments. Of course, this is all hypothetical since building infrastructure is pretty slow and there are usually better things to spend the IC on. You will only have to think about logistics if invading third world shitholes like in africa, if you attack China, and if you invade the Soviets.

Thats the mod I use. Best for Nazi Germany, kinda shit for being in the allies.

TRP had a great SU game.

just play as china

does infrastructure work the same way in darkest hour?

I'm going to trigger you so good.

How the hell did arabia get Spain and at least all north africa and the middle east?

I'm gonna help.

I just used console commands to give Arabia the Spain part just so the Third Reich and Arabia would fight over it, just for shits and giggles. As for Arabia getting North Africa and the Middle East, my buddy was playing as Arabia and I was playing as Dai Nam and together we destroyed those countries.

Nationalist China is disgustingly easy.

Carlin is extremely good at drawing connections between more or less isolated events which really helps with understanding the bigger historical context. Most history podcasts focus on single points or people, which is fine but leads to fragmented knowledge.

This. Japan doesn't have that many divisions, and it's trivial to beat it if you know what you're doing.

Men with straw hats and machetes fight strangely well in mountains.

Holy shit it fucking triggers me that the Swastika isn't perfectly aligned with the center of the flag frame in the third pic.

i want something with really cozy peacetime. what would you guys suggest?

The territorial/full cores are fine, but the claims just give you easy CBs on anyone. I like the eu3 system much better, where you need a specific reason to attack, and depending on it each war will be different.

If the AI chose to attack based on missions there would be no need for the discipline bonuses. The French would have extra men from free cores of their country, the Turks from taking Anatolia and Mamluks with a CB from their government types, Prussia can have a little boost by special decision. Having a few unique decisions is much better than the national idea system.

Hearts of Iron 4 :^)

when is MIEOU fixing colonization?

1933 starts in Darkest Hour are pretty comfy.

What's the mod with the blue text?

Cancelled dreams.

Vicky 2 NWO/CWE. You can easily go an entire game without war, just building economy and stuff.

In the past I would have recommended NWO primarily but at this point I think CWE's gotten better.

What? Am sorry to ask to spoonfeed but what was the name of the mod and why was it canceld?

RIP

small update

Wouldn't Mughals count for that?

le guy on le tall fortress

Alright, so there's a fair few problems here. I'm not sure exactly how fucked the peace conference system is- how and to what degree one can actually force through what the player wants to annex versus the AI's skewed priorities and whether they inherently veto players- but this is a mess even so.

Girls, what's our opinion on HOI4? Want to get into one of either DH, HOI3 or HOI4. Unsure which is best to start with.

Of course the HOI4 its the newest and the best in the series, and it gets updated all the time with free patches, free dlcs and paid expansions packs.
Dont bother with ugly old games, bu the HOI4

DH

Sorry for ID jump, I'm on a different pc. Now I'll attempt to sort-of answer your questions:

-I sincerely ate finland for no fucking reason, it's pretty stupid but I just went with it.
-I did push to the Urals but, as you pointed out, the peace conference kicked in and all you see there was what japan immediately took, peace conferences a shit when allies in your faction are involved
-The Italy thing is because I want to enact revenge on them for severely fucking up previous playthroughs whenever I let benito in on the axis, chief among them is almost surely angering the fucking soviet union when at war with the allies when the rest aren't ready for it.
-Similar to finland, I blobbed for no main reason, I just kind of felt like it. That, and I felt like taking factories just for kicks.
-The netherlands and ireland thing was also an unfortunate consequence of the piss poor peace conference
-The sauds were next after I obliterated the US

My current playthroughs are just means for me to try and experiment with different approaches, though honestly most of my efforts end up looking like shit.

The best part: I puppeted israel ayy lmao

It's funny seeing all the objectively legitimate criticism on stelaris and yet still having +600 hours on it. I play it more like a civ game than a grand strategy, meaning I get a podcast or a Uber long lore video/audio book/ book analysis and just have stellaris on. The first hour I don't do this obviously because you need to pay attention to your start, but after that it's comfy as fuck.

Also I love the complete role play aspect of it. My last game was super satisfying wherein my enlightened peaceful space elves were forced to become fanatical purifiers due to the inferior Xenos fucking their shit up. Now I'm getting into mods and the rp is even better. (Most of my hours before that were spent getting the acievements in vanilla)

Comfy game but I can see why people don't like it. I could never get into ck2 because you always have to pay attention and I can't listen to my lovecraft audiobooks.

So is are anons VeF fixes gonna come out for 1.22?
is it worth to revert to 1.17 just for anons fixes?
I quite liked the added provinces tbh

Forgot text,
any ideas to what direction I should move to expand?

nvm got coalitioned

I think I'm gonna stop playing on very hard.
Its retarded, cant even defend a mountain pass

Is Pop Demand Mod any good nowadays? I ask this unironically. I've played HPM to death and I just need something new which is still historical.

No

Not a chance I'm afraid. Anything post-Mare Nostrum is dead to me.
I'm not sure if it's worth reverting to 1.17 though, I suppose it's not I'm not sure what other silly shit they've added after they completely fucked up technology.

Kill osman ASAP. That's the proto-ottomans beyliq. Soon enough they'll annex the whole western coast and gobble up byzzie, so watch out. It's scripted so you can't really stop it unless you kill them completely.
If you're coalitioned, try appeasing everybody with shitty gifts, having a powerful ally helps too; also, don't hesitate allying the other beyliqs, they'll serve you well.

I've never actually played PDM, what's wrong with it?

Almost done, it wouldn't be the Caucasus without Papakhas, Bashlyks and other miscellaneous turkic-influenced (or was it the other way around?) Steppeniggers probably stole it from the Scythians, who probably stole it from someone else. pieces of clothing. Shame I couldn't find anything resembling a Chokha.

But since when is a SA playthrough been done 500 times?
I can see the Prussian one…although to be entirely fair Prussia is probably the funniest nation TO play in Vicky II.

Impossible to befriend them, they all hate me for exterminating turkroaches, declared me rival and just hate my guts, and I only took 4 provinces from turks, and 2 more from Genoa.

Now I have Osman and all the Beyliqs declaring coalition war on me, Imereti is a useless ally and Bulgaria betrays me.
Im trying to ally the chobanids, but I am 2 points short for them to accept, and I am on loans, so I cant send gifts… I might be able to debase currency, ill see tomorrow, going to bed now.
Game is impossible as Trebizond to be honest, I save scummed my way to win the war with Genoa because Imereti was a useless ally as always, and Kipchak doesnt even wwant me to be its tributary.

Stopped at the gates of Moscow… feels bad.

You know, there was an user around these parts that I used to throw playthrough ideas/AAR fodder at a while back. Beside a nice stint of early medieval Paulician Rus going ultra-orthodox on everyone in sight and raiding Rome in the name of Christ in CK2, he managed to figure out exactly how to game things as Trebizond and outmaneuver the Caliph, the Beyliqs, the Byzzies, everyone, and eventually reclaim the original imperial borders under the Komnenoi. I don't recall if that was in CK2, modded EU4, or both in turn, but he damn well did it. Took some rather particular abuse of temporary alliances, individual truces, liberal mercenary hiring, continual beating up of Beyliqs for their pocket change, and kicking the shit out of the Osmans at literally every opportunity possible to prevent them from gestating into the Ottomans, as well as bullying fat old Rum into little more than an anti-Caliphate buffer, and still it was quite possible even as involved as all that sounds.

If you happen to be around, Paulicianon, give this user a hand, would you?

It was in modded Eu4, VeF in particular, I loved that user, he is my inspiration actually.

This is my current situation. I a shit small army, barely any income, no development, and no chance to expand.

Well I guess Ill just go fuck myself.

r8

Meanwhile the game is so retarded I get the attacker penalties as a defender… what?

additionally my allies get exiled armies status in my territories
gg

it's in a new update if you siege you get the attacker penalty

thats stupid
also Im trying to win this war currently, ive probably cheated 1 million manpower and 100 thousand ducats.
im still not winning
I feel that the odds are stacked against me no matter what

Is there a way to become World Power number one without waging war in Victoria 2?

You could do it as the UK. You would have to wage economic war though in order to raise global militancy and create massive rebel spawns.

HOI3 Japen, when I war China the second time and choose take coast, after the war is over I don't get the remainder of the coast.

Thanks, I forgot about my original post.

1.) How to you wage economic war?
2.) Wouldn't that technically be cheating since you start out as Super Power Nr. 1?

tl;dr easiest way:

So you can't become a peaceful super power in Vicky 2 unless you're the UK. Then why does blobbing in Vicky 2 always get looked down upon, seeing as it is the only real way to become a successful state? Also, thanks for the answer

You can easily do it as USA, only wars you have to fight are the civil war and the mexican war

/gsg/ is jaded, blobs stopped being entertaining a few years after V2 was released.

Best way to "take" territory is to use the free people CB on larger nations, newly created nations become your sphereling if you're a GP. Or acquire cores CB for a country thats in your sphere that has cores in a country you don't like. If you really want to hold something, make them a puppet rather than taking their territory. Instead of being a normal blob, you'll be multicolor blob.

Man, the thought of a Space 4X game with population mechanics like Victoria makes me foam at the mouth. It would be amazing to see a game that simulates this realistically.
I think Mass Effect nailed what the population distribution among colonies would be like, with only major homeworlds and colonies that are hundreds or thousands of years old having population in the billions and all the younger colonies having populations in the thousands or millions. A 4X game that could simulate something like that would be fucking amazing.

Here's some pictures to better understand, this is the second war with them.
First pic is the wargoal, second pic is after the war, I didn't get the rest of their coastal provinices.

it is not stupid, a sieging army being attacked by another must deal with both the enemy army and the castle garrison they cannot turn their backs to the garrison that is why

Why would anyone ever do this in Victoria 2?

Play as France, UK, or America. Germany would be a valid option too if you don't count the war for EL. Austria probably works as well.

Build industry, giant navy, snag any colonizable land you can get.

Also that's for becoming rank 1. Just being a GP is piss easy to do even without war.

Would be funny to colonize Australia as Austria in EU4.

That's actually me, I was planning on doing something silly whenever I'm done modding the shit outta the Caucasus, probably something with the Alans or Sarir. Maybe adopt some meme heresy like Paulicianism and beat the shit outta the Caliphate and Khazaria I really, REALLY like the 800's start; there's a hidden 955 start too, but it's kinda broken. You get to play as a young Sviatoslav I of Kiev, the guy who literally erased the Khazars from this world.
can Paulician crusades even be considered crusades? They're pretty much hardcore iconoclasts with SOME ideas way before their time, like ditching the old testament because it's literally jew shit and hating on complex clerical hierarchy because it leads to corruption 66.6% of the time. They also disliked monks for some reason, that's kinda counter-productive. The dudes were pretty much an anti Byzantine, anti Caliphate movement which later on became some sort of social movement (much like Tondrakianism sans its proto-socialist bullshit) to keep Armenia free from foreign dominion. EXTREMELY militant using the pretext that they were the 'good' Christians who had gone back to Christianity's roots, even using stuff like 'Apostle' for their highest ranking officials.

>THE BODY WAS TOO LONG.
Doing another post.

Here's what I did as TRE (also played on VeF, 1309 start):
Encircle osman ASAP. It doesn't fucking matter who you ally; you gotta be REALLY careful though. Improve relations with EVERYBODY before ever thinking about going to war against any beyliqs.
That's kinda irrelevant right now though.

I see you allied Hungary, that's pretty good. You should ally Bulgaria too since they're the guys right on the other side of the Bosporus.
Now since there's no more pissant beyliqs near you, try expanding into Circassia and if you ditched Imereti, gobble them up; nobody will give a fuck, really. I did that and nobody cared, muslims only care if you attack other muslims. Don't let aggro/threat (or whatever the fuck that's called now) rack up, ALWAYS keep appeasing everybody, especially your muslim neighbors.
Prey on the weak, fabricate claims all over the black sea basin and get as much clay as your aggro allows to. BYZ is lost already so don't even bother saving them at this point (redundant, you're the fucking Komnenoi, not some backstabbing Palaiologoi)
I believe the beyliqs are scripted in a way as to NOT hate osman, so they'll get railroaded into submission anyways, they only one I believe it's not this way is Karaman, so keep an eye on them. Also the Mamelukes are your friends.

Anyway, at this point (depending on my aggressive expansion rate) I would:
A. Annex Circassia, free clay nobody cares about, they get gobbled up by the Golden Horde anyway.
B. Gobble up Imereti, again, same religion kinda okay-ish provinces if you build a fortress in there.
C. Karvuna, gobble em up if Bulgaria's not their suzerain.
D. Ally Bulgaria and Serbia, should be your natural allies at this point, gotta keep osman from expanding any further.
E. See if you can appease the Mamelukes, having them on a coalition against you is BAD news and it can happen fairly often if you're not careful.
F. Appease everybody, it should be obvious right now. turks are pissy as fuck and I also think the mod is scripted to be this way. TALK ABOUT RAILROADING HUH?
G. Bite Rum. If they don't hate you (yet), but I see they waged a war against you, so they probably see you as a threat. If so, don't even bother; you'll beat them into submission and use them as a buffer against MAM
H. See if you can wage a punitive war against osman, maybe form a coalition against them, do whatever you can to undermine their scripted efforts.
I. When waging war, make sure to take as little as possible. It might feel like you're taking one step forward and two backwards, but believe, it's better off this way than to have like 3 coalitions against you. Borders ain't shit, force osman to share their whole eastern front with you.
J. NEVER share a border with the Mamelukes unless you're ready to take on them.
K. Is strait crossing still a thing? Use the Bosporus to your advantage. Same with river crossings and mountain terrain. Lure those fuckers around, split your army if necessary and NEVER fight battles where you get any penalties. osman's buffs are fucking ridiculous (like +20% discipline, +40% taxes, manpower, shit like that). You're pretty much fighting against a retard using cheats, use the AI's retarded behavior to your advantage.
L. Keep your navy docked, defend your ports when necessary. Again, osman gets ridiculous buffs for naval units too, so don't even bother fighting a boat doomstack.
M. Abuse condottieri (are these still a thing?), I remember abusing this shit, hiring 4~6k armies from the other pissant beyliqs when they liked me enough. Kills two birds with one stone, their armies and manpower suffer from fighting for you and when they're all weak, annex.
N. Watch out for those loans! (((Venetian))) and (((Genoese))) merchants never forgive.

I might've known the VEF Caucausus modder was you. I don't know how I never put two and two together. Beside making things even more messy in Greater Caucasia, what are you planning? I always like seeing your AAR posts.

Right now I'm working on the female Caucasian gear, it's not optimal but I gotta make do with asset recycling. Doesn't look too bad IMO, at least it's better than Georgian and Armenian ladies wearing Greek clothing. I'm striving for a Caucasian 'feeling', not too Greek but neither too Persian, but the influence from both is clearly noticeable, lots of veils, gowns and earrings, just like irl. Male clothing is a stark contrast, as it's simply a fur/woolen hat and a coat.
Already finished Assyrian, Romanian and misc Jewish clothing, it's been a fun weekend.

As for what I'm actually going to play, I'm not entirely sure. I want something fairly challenging and there's a few places in the NE Caucasus that will take care of that.
Frankly I've been modding this game for far so long, I don't even know what I'm gonna play first. It's been over 2 months since the last time I actually played the game.

Anyone got any good ideas for a new eu4 campaign i could do?

If you aren't inclined to play religiously Caucasian Caucasians for the gimmick factor, how about Caucasian Zoroastrians? Good casus belli to blob around the region and stretch your feelers opportunistically 'round Anatolia, Persia and the Levant without much guilt, maybe the Black Sea for good measure, starting from a very precarious early position followed by an impregnable core territory of trade-rich mountain fortresses. The former would have basically the same prospects, it'd probably just be harder, since instead of having an extraregionally relevant religion you'd have a regionally irrelevant one that'l probably be harder than any other pagan start.

Which /gsg/s do you play beside CK2 & EU4, anyways? I want to sling more playthrough ideas at you in fresh contexts but the same regions.

Either a good old fashioned Burgundia-entered-into-HRE playthrough, a Novgorodian run focusing on breakup of Muscovy into buffer states (only annexing them as a secondary priority) against the post-Golden Horde statelets, with primary focus being on domination of the Baltic & Scandinavia wherever possible and however possible, or something with Cathars. For that last one, either a modded early start in the Pyrenees/Aquitainian region where Catharism historically appears, or Burgundy with the religion artificially selected to emerge in your state of choice with the nation maker or console commands. I don't think it can appear naturally outside historical instances without converting CK2 saves even in most mods.

might do burgundy into HRE, big priority would be breaking up France and maybe driving England off the continent after that.

Grenada as a colonial power and Rereconquista
Or colonial china/japan

Exactly, since you can only manage a couple dozen worlds they all have to be major planets. No frontier areas, no unpopulated backwaters, no nothing. In vic2, or CKII you have hundreds of provinces , and thousands of holdings, respectively. And yet it's not micromanagement hell, so an empire bigger than the Roman empire is quite manageable, from a management perspective (not political perspective). And the politics by province are simpler in both eu4, ckii, and even victoria, but since there's hundreds of provinces it feels more complex. A two province minor in eu4 has the same political complexity as Stellaris, just by size.

Stellaris has a gigantic scale problem.

Also, how's the modding scene for CK2? Which mods are recommended? It's been a year and a half since I touched it, but I liked HIP. Is it still good?

Did a little throwaway game as a custom nation in North Italy, its been quite fun, am listening to an audio book as i do it.
Its "Ready Player One" its horribly awful, the most cringe worthy thing I've ever read outside of fan-fiction.
But I've decided that audiobooks while playing Eu4 is the future.

Didn't start out that big obviously. but forgot to take a screenshot at start. I was a bit bigger than Milan and in the same area.
Castile got the Burgundian inheritance, but the AI cant deal with it, so it got utterly eviscerated. so badly that for a while Granada gained like 5 extra provinces off it.

Anyone ever play that mod where everyone starts out as an opm and has to colonize? found some screenshots of when i played it.
Im Sicily

I'm playing 2.7.1 with Geheimnisnacht, having a blast. Started as the count of Wilderwald in the Border Regions and managed to nab the Stygian Woods Kingdom, personally killing a 1700 year old Strigoi to do so. Problem is, Ushoran inherited territory and now has like 10.000 men at his disposal… How do I deal with this guy?

Just CK2 at the moment, played Vicky 2 for a brief time but got bored, I've got HoI3 and EU3 lying around somewhere too, but haven't played much of those.
Also been looking to get into Medieval 2 Total War with the Europa Barbarorum mod, but CK2's been keeping me out of it.

Nice
It reminds me of my game as Italy, started out as a Venice.

I have it on my disk but its just too slow for me, my toaster cant really handle it, i wish there was a submod for removing the new world or some other irrelevant place to improve performance

Try holy orders

Oh man, I just realized the guy in pic related was still alive.

I hired him as an educator for my first character. At the time he had the Questing Knight attribute and other decent stats. Once he became too old his ward-turned-liege granted him a city to look to. He must have managed to finish his quest for the Grail however since he is now a Grail Knight. Grail Knights are considered demigods in Bretonnia because they are basically immortal.

So now he's immortal but with every sort of disease imaginable and stuck in the body of an old, infirm guy.

Are these character portraits hand drawn?

Uhhh, there is?

file-upload.net/download-12670696/geheimnisnacht-oldworld.zip.html

Why is everything post mare nostrum dead to you?

Golden Horde (Now Kipchak), has Imeretti and Circasia as it's tributaries, so it will defend them if someone declares war on them.

Ok the part of me befriending everyone, didnt happen, so I guess I should try fixing my relations with everyone before going to the offensive, I guess I could also vassalize the beyliqs.

Abusing condotieri is hard when your average income is like , maximum 2 ducats a month.

Thanks for the advices tho, ill see what I can do.

Neat. Are you just chewing at the other Italian statelets? What's the plan thus far?

Alright then, let me shotgun a few at you, one per game for whenever you happen to take a break from making Caucasusmod.

Vicky 2 is probably the /gsg/ which takes the longest time to actually be fun, the early years are nothing but fixing your country and most countries already exist so, until you actually conquer stuff and the A.I starts doing crazy shit (which doesn't happen that often but is great when it does) it's pretty boring. Also conquering isn't as easy as in other /gsg/'s due to your Pops being ungrateful little bitches who will complain about everything even when they're living in a Utopia just because they don't like the Government or because they're a minority who just won't shut the fuck up about the country who they used to be/belong to even if almost a century passed since then. The lack of alternative history events and EXTREME railroading is also pretty disappointing (there are mods that fix that though). The fact that niggers like the UK and Russia can just start a crisis and fuck your shit up doesn't help. But if you've got your Pop under control and the colonization goes well it's really fun.

I just completely lost interest, also didn't like the complete removal of technology.

Just catch them whenever GOL starts fucking up somebody else, Circassia is small, so you won't have any problem ranking up enough warscore to annex its coastal province. It's kinda risky though, but whenever I played TRE, I always went for the coasts, gives you a huge advantage, especially when controlling Chaldia's center of trade which should be in your capital province.
And the Kipchak name, I don't fucking know why the VeF guys did that. It was known as the Kipchak Khanate, but people would often mistake them with the earlier Kipchaks from the 1100's.
Should've been left as the Golden Horde imo, maybe even the Ullus of Jochi.

Don't they offer you condottieri anymore? When the beyliqs did, it was always for some stupidly low ammount of shekels, sometimes even for free. I think it was broken.

I was thinking about playing as Urkarakh/Ur-Karakh, it's an obscure principality in central Daghestan, most of the info about it comes from Russian sources. Apparently it was a remnant of Sassanid administration (the rulers specifically bore the title of Marzuban/Barzpan) well into the 10-11th century, so I decided to mod it into the game. Basically it's a single barony with a duchy-level title, though you can only play as them through console commands.
The rulers are an offshoot of the Mihranids completely fictional, but I thought it'd be cool. I mean, IT IS COOL whose dynasty used to rule Caucasian Albania, Georgia and parts of Armenia right before the first caliphate. I think the Arranshahik and the Bagratids (both Georgian and Armenian) are related to the Mihranids, though they had usurped the throne of Arran from the Armenian Arranshahiks by basically killing off most of their dynasty.
The guys in question have Pahlavi/Parsig culture, which is pretty much a term for non-islamized Persian, though they profess sunni islam after the 867 start due to Derbent's influence in the area.
From there I could either adopt Udi culture (since it was the ruling tribe of Albania Caucasica) and maybe even reclaim Persia. Religion would be either Zoroastrianism or Apostolic/Paulician Christianity since all three are sorta relevant to the playthrough.

Also, I've tried Vlad's start in EU4, modded it myself and had a blast forming Romania proper, keeping the Transylvanian Saxons and the Szekely in check while impaling turks.

Are there any mods that let you commit genocide against undesirables? That sounds like a mechanic Vicky 2 desperately needs. I mean I wouldn't play as Greece or Armenia without genociding the shit outta turkey.

What complete removal?
There is still technology in VeF like before, Adm, Dip, and Mil technology + Institutions.

Nope, no condotierri anymore, before everyone was giving condottieri to everyone.

Now 0, there is some weird thing, if you go on negatative income per month because of renting them you cant rent them, if i understand it correctly its bugged I think.
Because lets say if I ask 2 ducats per month for condos, the YES/NO bar goes to 49% but if i ask for 1 ducat per month it goes to 25%.

The thing is obviously bugged.

thank you

I mean tech spread and such, now it's not a fixed % (say 100% tech cost for western, 115% for eastern, 130% for muslim so on and so forth), but instead made everybody the same so the AI congo can become a world power by the 1500's.

It's been almost a year since I last played the game, I've no idea what else has been added.

Oh, thats disgusting
In the name of equality? lmao

Creating an empire from only a barony sounds like a suiting challenge after your having figured out how to use Trebizond to strangle the post-every-buff Osman roachpire in its crib. I really anticipate this playthrough.

sage for doublepost

btw VeF makes it so that congo nations etc start at level 1 tech, where western nations start at 10

various mods are still trying to somehow deal with this bullshit. Of course, since it's buggy and unrealiable as fuck, shit happens as seen in MEIOU.

Yes HPM, the mod a fellow /GSG/er made, it only works if you're a fascist/communist dictatorship though and that never happens until lategame.

What a shame. Hope the major modders manage to overcome that bullshit.

That doesn't sound so bad, but I bet there's also a chance for the renaissance to trigger in congo, as another user said a few months ago.

I suppose that could work, what's the best 'overall' government in Vicky 2? I sure hope it's not fucking communism.

All non shitty mods have this feature.

No communism doesn't work the in the slightest, rebels took my capital once and changed my government to a communistic dictatorship and my entire economy died. The best government depends on your country, if your pops are really unhappy Liberal is the best because you can enact reforms more often, if you're constantly waging war you should go with conservative and if you want a mix of both you should go with reactionary.

You already know man.

Does HoI4 have any mods like this? One should exist just to spite paradox.

Since government types differ between nations due to parties having individual policies, it can rather vary. But generally, is correct from everything I've read for a number of reasons.

At the start, you've got conservatives, reactionaries and liberals. Conservatives have moderately statist positions giving moderate direct player control, although they have poorly political & social reform willingness; reactionaries have further statist positions, and often have the 100% best eco policy of State Capitalism, allowing central planning without necessitating it under all circumstances. They're also jingoist fucks with good war policies, but demand repeal of all reforms, which may or may not be a good thing. Liberals are not particularly good because they take the economy out of your hands through laissez faire that literally disables your ability to intervene in the economy in any way, in addition to being doves.

Anarcho liberals appear after 1848 and are liberals with even less control and refusal of all political reforms or repeals. Socialists appear in 1860, and tend towards unmitigated central economic planning- which is absolutely miserable and requires a great deal of micro for little advantage over state capitalism- as well as poor tariff & war policies, although they are good for social reform. Communists appear in similar time frame, and are like socialists with even less intent for political form and lots of willingness to beat people. And exclusive state planning. Avoid. Finally, fascists- who only appear in the endgame- get more or less the best out of every pot. They get to be jingos, State Capitalism lets them get central (player) planning without having no capitalist AI to smooth things out, they get to have fat tariffs, and they get to both support AND repeal political & social reforms as needed. You have complete dictatorial ability to determine where things are going through good policies all around.

It's the retarded war goal, you can only take that section if you choose it.
They really should have done what DH did and base it off events firing rather than wargoals

Wasn't a mod, Paradox had a group of modders develop a Cold War GSG, but it got cancelled into development.

You can play a leaked… beta, I think? Not very good though, obviously.

Plans are to create Italy, then to create a moderate Italian empire in primarily North Africa, that i intend to fully convert to my culture and religion, and weakening the ottos as much as i can, with a view to getting as much Greece as i can.

This is sultan Turgut. He spent most of his life in the dungeons of the Kipchak Khan (which I presume is just being tied to a pole in middle of the camp, as the Kipchak Khan dislikes buildings), while the Khan ruled his kingdom for the heck of it, as the Khan never had the need for the puny taxes or levies. You'd imagine a sultan, even one province ruling one, could scrape his ransom in two decades, but Turgut was really bad with money.

One day the Khan decided to sacrifice Turgut to his ancestors. Unfortunately the ancestors apparently weren't very happy to receive an overripe turk, so they repaid only ironically.

In the end, Turgut was as useless in death as he was in life.

I have no idea why would you develop a Cold War game based on HoI3. NWO for Victoria 2 does the job much better.

It was bad before with the cheap westernizations. Now it's just the AI's fault if it doesn't invest in tech.

i wish someone would make a mod that would just remove institutions, its absolutely cancerous, and "fixes" a problem that doesn't exist.

i dont know WHAT the fuck is going on

EvW added pops though

it makes research dependent on provinces, not countries. The idea was to go conquer literate pops if you're Russian or get dragged down if lots of different people need to adopt (too bad culture groups are broken). If there is a problem about this, it is the way you get mana. I think you should get naval tech for fighting and blockading, trade for trading, government for stability and peace, etc.

Anyone know where i would find screenshots Taken while playing mods? they show up in the background of the games steam page in my library but they arnt in the screenshot file with the rest of them.
Anyone else have this happen?

looking further a bunch of other screenshots are on my steam online library.
Its a real pain trying to go through them, they don't seem to be in the order i took them in and its a real pain saving them all individually again.

Here is a failed attempt at the Mameluke's, plan was to build up as many vassals as possible to try to match ottos army with, i remember that i held up for a little while, ran outta manpower really quickly and then got crushed.

Here is a western Roman Empire game using the unlimited time mod, the negative modifiers you get are horrendous.

VickyII mods that add goods/factories or change how the economy works always forget that the AI can barely handle the vanilla economy as is. This always leads to utterly retarded AI decisions, nonstop bankruptcies, and a game that is absolutely too easy for humans.

Nice bait, here is you reply.

How do you get tech that good?

Does it is still possible to convert the country's religion by letting rebels amok in EUIV?

Getting into HOI3, got the gist of it but not an autistic understanding of it. Is it possible to play a lesser nation and do some damage? Tried playing Nationalist Spain, couldn't get my neutrality low enough to join the axis and no one would trade rare materials so my factories were running at half capacity. My first game as Nippon went well although I don't think I'll finish it, I totally neglected my supply ships and the US fucked them all up and now I can't supply my army, wew. Although I feel convoys are shit at defending the transports, what purpose do they serve? Do I have to just stack a shit ton? Are cavalry worth building only to encircle units? Because I feel they don't hold well in combat with 4 units of cav.

Yes

There's some tricks you can do, don't remember exactly how. Spain in particular is considered very neutral like the Swiss and unlikely to be accepted into factions unless you know what to do, most other minors don't have that problem and can align to a faction and join.

HoI3 trade essentially gets "locked in" after around 2-4 months as everyone meets their needs and is unlikely to change their exports and imports. It's best to establish your main imports and exports immediately with either the Soviets or USA, who are the only nations that can be relied upon as fairly stable surplus runners.

They are pretty much shit, at most they slightly damage a sub or two. The way to protect convoys is to control the sea.

They are about as good as infantry (worse terrain modifiers in most places), but 4 INF is also bad. Your standard division composition is best off as INF/INF/ART/AT or something similar, which lets you fit more divisions inside the frontage limit. Of course if you do CAV/CAV/ART/AT, the cavalry is slowed down by the support anyway, so there's not much point of Cav. You can use one or two of them to hunt rebels though

Yes, you need lots and lots of escorts to see some effect. I never bothered. When the enemy's targeting your supply lines you should take care of it with your surface fleet. If you don't have a surface fleet that's capable of safely hunting enemy raiders and subs, you shouldn't expand or trade in such a way that it becomes a liability.

Yes, they're the cheap low-tech option for encirclements and hunting down routed armies. If you're playing an industrial nation you'll probably want to replace them with motorized infantry and tanks, since they're much faster and cav neither is fast nor powerful enough to exploit a breakthrough.
If you have them and don't know what to use them for, they can also be used as an okay reserve unit.
Their good supression, rather low cost and fast somewhat fast movement also makes them okay for anti-partisan duty. Use military police for general supression and a few cav divisions sprinkled around to take care of those rebels that do pop up. MPs are horrible in any real fight and will have severe trouble defeating a normal partisan unit that pops up next to them.
Yup. Apart from those amusing Luxembourg World Domination runs it's perfectly viable to play Argentinia and conquer the Falklands and Brazil. If you pick a tiny nation with high neutrality and two IC, don't expect to get much done if you're not a pro.

Who would have thought this shitty meme nation can be fun

Also the supply mechanic in game is broken, even in black ice. Turn the difficulty up, but start the game on 'arcade'.

Are these Tengri damn mongols going to camp on my lands until the truce ends and then try to invade again? They should go pester China instead of holding me from grinding the West to pature land.

What does /gsg/ listen to when they play GSGs?

I like listening to RAC or confederate battle hymns if I'm playing as the CSA.

Edge of Darkness for DH has a pretty great soundtrack.

works perfectly fine, git gud

Is shit and fucks up everything about HoI3

Massively alters game balance since supplies no longer exist on the map and therefore can't be captured.

I tried HPP but I want to atleast play a few games of vanilla.

I had a ton of ships and set them to patrol but even when they were in the same region as the the enemy ship, they didn't engage, was my ship spotting tech too low or I think that was for submarines.
Neat, I wish to become pro overnight. Thanks.

I noticed that after a time trade deals would come swarming in, now I understand. And yeah the Soviets and the US were the only viable trading partners.
I've been doing INF/INF/ART/ENG because I would always run into river crossings. I quickly learned that every division doesn't need an ENG brigade and AT is important.

All good stuff, thanks friendos.

Replace INF with MAR for river crossings.

The problem with ENG is that their base stats (like soft attack) are so poor that the weaker overall division strength outweighs slightly better terrain modifiers. The only real reason to use ENG is as MAR/MAR/ENG/ENG for amphibious invasions.

Why do you guys get the weirdest shitposters?

A high concentration of butthurtness.

I swear sometimes I think you guys get more salt than the GG thread. Either way have a good one.

Something about GSGs attracted the most autistic of autists.

Do you like spaghetti? I sure do.

I’ve tried and failed to get it working for all nations. The best I can do is have it show up in your decisions list, but the game CTDs when you hover over the button.

What the fuck is that bughive border bullshit? Is this a mod or has there been an update since I last pirated it to expand the map? But… not all of India is there. What’s going on?

It's from HIP, it disables most of India sans for its northwestern part (if you want it so, you can completely disable it)

Korean noodle > Shitalian spaghetti

We are the Romans now.

Reminder Koreans should be gassed.

Thanks. Got another question, my ships never seem to engage with enemy ships when they're in the same body of water. I have them sent to patrol and they never catch these fuckers, they're destroying my supply lines it's aggravating. My naval bombers never seem to get the ships too, I assume I need better tech for them.

RADAR (Both lvl 10 on a province and the ship upgrades) and doctrines for detection.

Who doesn't remember the powerful center of trade that is Iceland and their valuable exports of… fish and some more fish.

Don't forget rotten shark that smells like piss.

Actually the screen shows several trade routes mashed together; the one leading to Iceland is the North Atlantic route, which connects it to Norway and the British Isles, I suppose they traded in fish and Irish slaves. Sadly, CK2 won't allow for different trade screen modes, so the new routes appear all at once.

You're the best, thanks. This game's bretty gud I get a massive boner watching my IC climb.

???

Occultus Orbis Terrestre
volafile.org/get/eYNN-Twpk4gC/eu3 map OOT 1.3.1.rar

I unironically agree with you.

just saw that veritas et fortitudo is now working,, gonna play a Byzantium game, thinking i'll ally Bulgaria first if i can, keep them off my back and they are strong, focus on taking my Greek cores first, the moving back into Anatolia.

Cant ally Bulgaria of second choice Serbia, due to historical rival status, went to war in Greece, but ottos declared on me at the same time, the stupidly sent their army onto lesbos after the sieged one province so i used my navy to blockade them on the island, and won both wars taking all provinces. But that left them with a 15k ottoman rebel army on an island i had no land connection with. So ive been forced to go to war on the asia minor coast to access it. Then i decided to just go ahead and war all asia minor nations that dont have powerful allies. even got some free condottori from saruhan. They will regret that.

I am using the money im getting in every peace deal, to build up a reserve to spend on mercs when Serbia/Bulgaria/whoever else decides to blindside me.

Want to go to war in greece, but i can't, they have to many allies, epirus in particular has bulgaria as its ally, and i dont think i can take it and bulgaria and bulgaria's vassals all at once without huge effort. And i dont want to weaken myself cause ill get jumped if i get into a big war.

Ilkhanate has fallen apart and Germiyan is worrying me.

Watch your aggressive expansion, I know you're reclaiming old cores but you still get some aggression from fucking around.
Also, see that little chunk of Cilicia between Kurdistan and Dulkadir? That's from a revolt, get in bed with Cilicia before Germiyan eats them up, they seem to have some cores to reclaim from Karaman, so you could use that as an excuse to beat them up. You also need some buffer state on your future Mameluke border, Cilicia seems alright for that.

If I were you I'd gobble up all the shitty opm beyliqs before Germiyan does, all while improving relations with both Mamelukes and Germiyan, don't want those two coalitioning you. I never touch Genoa/Venice or anything allied with Western powers until I know I can fight a big ass war that's probably going to involve both Aragon and Naples.

A lot of the beyliqs are allied to germiyan now, but your right ill focus on them from now.

Went to war with epirus when he and bulgaria were fighting with naples and achea, and took a single province, but in the war i was able to take some Bulgarian provinces aswell.

Was able to threaten achea who took epirus's last province and they gave it to me. threaten is so great.

I currently have no allies though, so thats a little worrying.

dunno how to deal with the byzantine restoration modifier. that negative autonomy modifier is going to really become a problem. Anyone know how?

This is the state of the Turkish problem.

Black death is sweeping through my empire, ive had to mothball forts just to stop myself from losing money.

Still no allies, could ally Venice, Wallachia, Imereti or Georgia. Venice seems like best bet, but now im wondering if i even need to ally anyone. Its not like i wanna get dragged into Italian wars.

It'll be automatically removed after you reclaim enough provinces (forgot how many)

Try allying one of the big guys so the stupid turks don't form a coalition against you. Maybe Poland or Austria if they're big enough. You're gonna eat up Venice later on, so the alliance will be pretty much redundant, besides, you don't wanna help them get bigger/stronger, same with Genoa. Don't touch them unless:
A. You're building a spy network
B. You're going to war for their Crimean/Greek holdings.

I mean, you ARE big right now, so you should probably work on getting on the Mameluke's good side, they'll probably need a a solid ally soon enough.

thank fuck, imma start taking provinces fast then untill i can get rid of it, the autonomy thing is really starting to add up.

Im gunna try allying either Naples or Venice, their arnt any other major powers i can ally, unless i can get France onside, Austria and Poland are tiny, and i think Hungary gets the historical rival modifier. If it is either Naples or Venice, im not likely to be attacking them any time soon anyway, not until i have Anatolia under roman control. After that ill be turning on both of them.

Gotta appreciate those meme loving fucks on the Geheimnisnacht team.

There's an "Isle of Wights" in Albion, the entire cast of Xena in Not-Greece and various Monkey Island characters in the southern islands.

France games are pretty tough.

Okay how the fuck do you deal with horse niggers (100% LC) as Beastmen (100% LI/HI)?

the only thing venice deserves is to be annexed
ditch them

Think ill ally Georgia, they have cores on all Imereti and i can declare war on their behalf to make them a strong ally in the caucuses. But Imereti are currently allied with kipchik, so ill have to wait until they get fucked up.

You dont need such allies, you need bitch to vassalize and annex later.

Allies should be countries you wont annex, like hungary, poland (if it expands all the way down).

ill diplovassal georgia

Big war against the turks (they are all allied), only managed to take back two cores, but they are good development provinces. only managed to get like 40% warscore before i ran outta manpower

Can we talk about the new ck2 dlc?
It looks like a low effort mod. Is there something I'm missing, or is it just shit?

Second turkish war commencing, gonna continuously war with them until i have removed the awful byzantine restoration modifier, cause it is getting worse and worse.

War went well. Another war with the turks should end them as a real threat to me.

Also the conversion of my new conquests are going well.

Anyone know how to change culture in this mod?

Just noticed that Hungary is destroyed.

All Paradox DLC has been low effort mods since they started putting modders in charge of game development.

Finally got byzantine resurgence after my last war against the turk. No more horrible negative modifiers fro me!

Crushed Naples and Achea and took the three cores they had.

Won another turkish war, renaissance is now spreading.

Imereti got reduced to an OPM by a vassal of the KIpchik (Circassia) so i have made it my vassal.

I then went to war with Cyprus who was allied to Athens, so i was able to annex them both.

went to war with Venice and the Knights, took all their Greek provinces.

Gunna go to war with Bulgaria next to complete the mission, "Conquer the eastern Balkans"

Crushed Bulgaria and its ally Venice,
Muh Danube border.
Next im going to remove some more kebab.

After i think ill vassalize Bosnia.

More kebab removed.

Yes, I was about to talk to you about culture.

You go to your decesions tab and click on real managements, you select the region you want (not province, region), and then culture, choose to eradicate culture, turks gonna hate you, but your provinces wont lose wealth, and you will do humanity a favor.

Finish off Germs-iyan.

Take over the dunabe provinces of Kipchak, take Theodoro, circaasia, Imeretti, georgia, and reconquer anatolia from Mamluks.

I think they own 1 province from Anatolia.

Also I doubt you can Vassalize Bosnia, they looks kind large for that, but those are shit tier provinces,

oh and you need to place your troops in the provines of the region you wanna eradicate the turks.

At best split your army over anatolia in single troops, and then initiate massive eradication.
In like 2 weeks all of anatolia will turn greek.

Watch out for the -10 unrest modifier

REALISTIC WORLDS

New Thread

Next time if I am not making the OP (and please wait until the thread is close to dying or death), please use the newer OP pictures.