JRPG Budgets

How much does it cost to make a JRPG usually? I just pirated pic related and the character animations are like a student unity game. They move around like robots.

Other urls found in this thread:

romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23436.0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Falcom isn't exactly a AAA studio.

Is this another "I can make a better game" thread?

There are very few AAA JRPGs these days. Most are from smaller devs with tight budgets.

What do you think the budget is? It seems sub-AA honestly.

Just wondering how much it would cost since the animation is worse than indie stuff I see. The main walking animation in this game made me laugh when I first saw it.

It's easy to code, but it's lengthy to do because of the huge amount of content you have to add.

It looks perfectly fine, goy.

This is the worst timeline.

SE is like the only company that makes AAA RPGs. And even then, their newest games are barely even RPG. Like I don't even think FF15 is a RPG.

The animation is the least of the game problems, hell it's a jRPG not a "cinematic experience" so i don't care, as for the budget, it's probably a few millions since FALCOM is almost indie and loves to reuse assets.

Feels real fucking bad that if you want a pre FF7 feeling final fantasy you need to play the MMOs.

Well there's FF12 but that's more like Star Wars story wise. But I think you're right. It's like they try too hard to be unique with the stories and setting and end up with a bunch of plot holes instead. Hell, the mafia story they originally had was a much simpler and nice concept to deal with or write a story around.

Keep in mind it's a 2013 game that's intended to run on a vita. Compared to TitS where models look like deformed garden gnomes it's quite a step up.
It does feel like Persona for poor people now, on the other hand.

Put it this way. You know the storyline of most FF games so i'll skip those and give you the tldr of the MMOs

And both of them let you ride a chocobo and a proper version of the chocobo them plays instead of that ear rape theme of FFXIII. Does a FF game have fighting moogles and can you ride a chocobo in it? Those are questions you should be asking when playing a FF game.

Or you could just play the pre-FF7 Final Fantasy games. Or their numerous indie imitators. Or competing series that were better, like Lunar and Suikoden.

I will eat my wheaties so I can be strong like Dragonmaster Dyne! :^)

Are the cold steel games fun, gameplay wise?

You get something against deformed garden gnomes, boy?

Are you retarded? Also jrpg usually rely on story to convey emotions not hd models because shocker you don't need hyper realistic faces to be able to tell a good story. I wish graphicsfags would die.

There is barely anything wrong with those lines. What's the matter? Are you faggots too prude to sexual innuendo?

I'd agree with you if jrpgs have good stories but they're all shit. At the very least, graphics enhances the turd that is these games.

It's a Vita port with higher res textures. I'm just glad it's ported by someone who knew what they were doing.

Trails of Cold Steel was made for PS3/PSVita and initially released in 2013 in Japan.

Falcom isn't exactly an AAA studio. Their games are made on a budget. Even their latest games (Ys VIII and Trails of Cold Steel 3) don't have amazing visuals. And it's likely they'll reuse assets and animations for Cold Steel 3.

Trails of Cold Steel is Falcom's first foray into PS3/HD development. And when it comes to Trails in general, Falcom usually puts more work into their writing and music.

Funny thing is that the only thing similar it has to Persona are the bonding events with classmates. Perhaps the school setting, but it's a military academy and they actually have combat training.

Even the calendar is just there to show passage of time and compare it to the events of the Crossbell games; it's not a time management game.

It's turn based. Battles have some strategy as you can move characters around the battlefield, and some attacks and magic have different types of AOE (like some will affect a circular area, and others may affect a line), so grouping up allows you to use AOE heals easier, but can put all your characters in danger from an AOE attack.

Each character has strengths and weaknesses when it comes to certain stats, (eg, some characters are better at physically hitting harder than others) but you can customize their abilities, emphasizing their strengths and/or covering their weaknesses. For example you can take Laura, the hardest physical hitter on the team, and deck her out with magic. She won't be the most powerful caster but the option to make her a caster is there, and she can still dish out strong physical attacks.

The customization isn't permanent either. So you can switch things around and try different options if you're not satisfied. In fact you're encouraged to, because you keep getting new quartz to customize with, and your party changes in each chapter. It can also result in some powerful (perhaps even broken) combinations.

The story in Trails of Cold Steel feel weaker than the previous games (Crossbell and Trails in the Sky), but they're still pretty good. Most of the characters are good too. The games share a fleshed out that actually change over time, with technology being developed, governments/politics changing and whatnot.They also have a ton of NPCs who have their own stories that progress over the course of the game.

But tocs cost more and is less popular than persona 4. So how could it be the poor mans version?

Innuendo isn't the problem here. Working Designs rewrote parts of the script with their awful jokes.

Dont forget Atlus, NIS, and Marvelous

Falcom is one of the few developers who have been consistently profitable for the past 20 years and are still independent.

But if you want mocapped 3DPD actors play Western games.

Yeah I hate this. I'm not Burger, I don't care about Burger culture politics or memes. I don't want it in my JRPG.

Sadly Burgers are very culturally insensitive. They are like a weed choking out everything that is not Burger.

Can you name me one JRPG that doesn't have
Not even baiting, I'm looking for new stuff to play. I liked Disgaea but I don't deny that it has repetitive combat, cringey dialogue, waifubait and grinding.

I can't think of a single one.

Valkyria Chronicles is probably as close to that as possible.
Then again, it's not exactly a traditional JRPG.

Valkyrie Profile is another candidate, but the main character is potential waifubait, not that she was designed as such.
Grinding is not mandatory, but when you finish all the dungeons in a chapter and are left with some extra periods, it's the only thing to do.

Does Dragon's Dogma count?

Is that loli a playable character in these games? I've been meaning to play them for ages, and this just might give me the push needed.

Those guys rejoiced when Disgaea 5 sold 150k copies worldwide and I don't think that applies as AAA. Bamco's Tails series triple that, though who the hell knows how much Disgaea 5 on Switch sold, might be 300k by now in which case they're not that far apart.

Grandia I guess? Waifubait is minimal, the monsters are visible on the map, stories are good, you don't have to grind, repetitive combat exists for every single game where you fight and this one is no exception but the combat system is pretty awesome. If you want less cringe dialogue, then Grandia 2 only starts going a bit cringey in the last part while Grandia 1 is more so from the start.

She doesn't show up until Second Chapter and you don't have her in the party until 3rd.

She's only playable in Trails in the Sky 3, but introduced as a character in Trails in the Sky 2.

God is cruel.

Pretty much every single RPG made in the last 20 years has those with some exceptions only one I can think of is VTMB.
A good point. Grinding sucks.
If you mean turn based combat, then pretty much all games that are turn based are reptitivev i guess. Largely a matter of opinion.
I blame the translators.
How is waifubait a bad thing? Even biocucks know the value of waifus in their games, heck they're probably only surviving thanks to the waifufags.

Dark Souls:^)
But a more serious answer, would be what said with Grandia. I'd say Chrono Trigger as well, since you enter combat only if you touch the enemies, unlike other JRPGs where it's after X number of steps, and you learn more and more skills to keep things fresh. Though, I can't understand why someone would hate waifubaiting, unless your are a girl.

Baldur's Gate has "designed" encounters and don't have you fighting the same monster every time you take 10 steps forward like Final Fantasy or Pokemon do.
Turn based games aren't inherently repetitive, I think it has a lot to do with difficulty and the general complexity of the game.

I want their games to look like your pic. We have the tech. I was so disappointed when I started playing CS after that glorious cel-shaded OP.

That was before I learned it was a vita port though.

While we do have the tech it's also very expensive. In 5-10 years, I am sure it will be much cheaper and more studios/developers will use it. The closest we've got are Guilty Gears Xrd and maybe Persona 5.

Falcom doesn't have the budget for that kind of fidelity, maybe in several years.

This is atrocious, why do people think Working Designs was any good?

The sad thing is that a lot of studios and teams that used to make RPGs have been reduced to using unity and other amateur-level software because they are not allowed FFXV or KH3 budgets and timeframes where they can burn tens of millions on graphical spectacle and glitz instead of gameplay.

iirc, it sold 100k, which is still pretty close to the PS4 version.

Yeah, I just watched the Guilty Gear Xrd GDC talk on how they pulled that shit off. 4 months of work just to make the model and """"texture"""". Jesus christ.

As someone who was actually around when Robotech was being produced and shown on TV, Robotech was considered to be a masterpiece of story telling in a genre known for just being mind-numbing and easy to watch. Robotech took a 2 hour movie and a couple of story lines and turned it into a 4 year long cartoon with epic stories and characters for that time. So consider what this fuck in the screen cap said as nothing more then opinion and hyperbole.

There's a better loli that's playable in FC and SC anyways.

Feels good not being a pleb

Yeah, I checked and it got 110k+ of preorders in the west, but only less than 20k got sold in Nipland. It's probably exceeded 150k total by now. I guess the shittiness of Japanese sales is what happens when you're a retarded Nip and release a port on the same day Zelda comes out instead of waiting two months after Zelda's release like the western branch.

ASW is some real passionate autists and the outcome of their work is glorious as fuck. Robo-Ky fucking when

It's the same retarded shit Activision pulled when they released VtM:B alongside Half-Life 2. Sometimes I think these fools are sabotaging themselves because of some inter-office bet and whoever loses will be the gimp for the entire year.

Trails in the Sky has monsters that are visible on the map that you can dodge
Don't know about that
I don't think that there's a single RPG that doesn't have this
Again Trails in the Sky has pretty great dialogue
Define waifubait but if you mean well written loveable characters then I guess Trails in the Sky has that

Waifubait? That's the whole point of these games, to have cute, attractive 2d girls that are written well enough to make you care about them. Go play Skyrim or something faggot.

Romancing SaGa PS2

If you haven't played Nocturne, it has random battles, but if you grind you're a scrub, if you ignore combat and autoattack you'll get fucked, and you play as a teenage boy with a party of demons, so no waifubait there either

Basically the answer is to look through ps2 games. JRPGs mostly went down the shitter after that point and you can definitely see where the cancer starts to spread

I think WD's most heinous crime was how they full on ruined the design of games they worked on, such as making Silhouette Mirage and Exile II almost unplayablely hard. Too bad we have people here who get righteously indignant about "localized" dialogue but accept increased difficulty even if it wasn't a directive from the original designers and was done just to prevent lost shekels from rentals.

Because their localizations were at least grammatically correct in a time when many translations were unreadable. Once other companies started to marginally proofread their scripts, WD became a joke.

Victor Ireland is also confirmed to always have been an egotistical cunt, according to some former Gamefan writers.

Xanadu Next, Brandish, Valkyrie Profile, Lunatic Dawn Passage of the Book, Shining The Holy Ark and Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits Bushidō Retsuden

Didn't Persona 3 start the waifu bullshit?

lol

THIS HARMONICA IS ALL THAT REMAINS OF MY HUMAN HEART

Yes, Satan, in context it makes sense. That user didn't say it didn't have any cringe, anyway. So take your autism out for a second.

There has been waifu bullshit since the early days of Fire Emblem. In fact, not having appealing women in games is a recent trend.

Satan, please dont bully best shota.

Waifu shit has been in Japanese media for decades, newfag.

I'm fucking with you, if I recall correctly Estelle went "what the does that even mean"

The combat in that is pretty shit. All games are repetitive, sure, but this one is super slow to boot. The movement system is just a pain in the ass, too, rather than not being a problem that slows stuff down like in Grandia. I don't recommend it at all, just play any Grandia which is superior in every way.

Macross, Cavalry Cross, and Mospedia, were shows with 36, 23, and 25 episodes respectively. The first season of Robotech was basically just a censored version of Macross with some of the lore changed around.

That's because there are patches to fix all of those now, romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23436.0
There are, sadly, no patches to fix the dialog.

Do you mean the ability to grind or the encouragement to grind to proceed? With the former, there might as well not be a leveling system, which is important in a RPG. Other than that you never need to grind in most RPGs unless you're just bad at the game.

Depends on the depth of the game and if you do/don't like turn based combat. Like Tales of Symphonia has repetitive combat IMO because the way attacks flow. Meanwhile Tales of Graces F has a much more dynamic flow of attacks. For turn based games it really depends on depth and difficulty. A game that forces you to use many tools won't seem nearly as repetitive as an easy game where you can nuke everything with a fireball.

Translators could make this happen but I don't remember most RPGs having great dialogue. Well there is Skies of Arcadia and Tiers to Tiara 2.

Nothing wrong with this as long as the characters are good.

For this though, I would recommend Skies of Arcadia.

ITT weeaboos admit that the only reason they're playing awful nip games is to fap to chinese cartoon grills.

It's better than western's grotesque """"women"""". I mean, I dunno why you'd be acting all smug unless you only exclusively play Zachtronic games.

What's wrong with fapping to chinese cartoon grills? You're not one of those "you will be a family man and you will like it!" types are you?

I don't know why you guys think he's serious and not just shitposting.

Because a lot of people actually are serious about this sort of thing. If I shouldn't be enjoying my hobbies then what do these people want me to do? Get a girlfriend I don't want? Start a family with said gf I don't want? I just want to understand what it is they expect.

I actually just wanted to name drop Zachtronics because more people should play his games.