Star Fox: Mercenaries

I love Star Fox. The first one on the SNES is still my favorite in the series. It has fantastic challenge, legendary music, and the gameplay just feels so perfect. I'm a huge Star Fox fanboy and I think it goes without saying that I'm hugely disappointed with how Nintendo is handling this series.

Star Fox isn't living up to its potential, with each new game in the series getting progressively more disappointing. Star Fox Zero was alright but it was a huge disappointment for them to retell the exact same Star Fox 64 story they've told a million times by now, with even less levels than the original SF game.

For a while I've been thinking up my own dream Star Fox game that would probably never get made. I would love a huge, epic space adventure that allows you to live the life of Star Fox as they pursue their mercenary career throughout the Lylat System.

This idea makes me wish game companies would stop being underachievers and just go big with well-designed, cohesive and massive games that have tons of features for people. It doesn't have to be an MMO with an online universe but a truly huge rogue-lite game like this could be played by people for decades.

They aren't.
They meet and exceed investor expectations.

You literally do not matter

just play panzer dragoon, its like starfox but all the games are good instead. also rez.

Panzer Dragoon is still good.

So essentially you want a 4x game but with limited options of what to do? Why not just play something like X3 with mods? Or look into making those mods yourself?

All I want from Star Fox is big arcadey levels full of things I can shoot with lasers, set to a cheesy story filled with every soft sci-fi cliche, trope, and plot device possible. It makes me absolutely miserable that Star Fox is my favorite video game yet it has only two good games after, what, 20 years?

I still can't believe that when they farmed it out to Namco, the company that makes Ace Combat, they chose to make a third-person shooter.

This is an excellent idea. Failing this, they should at least feature a hueg roster of available pilots. It could be the Animal Crossing of futuristic dogfighting games.

No, I don't want a 4X game at all. I basically want an actiony Star Fox game with a "career mode"-style campaign. Your career is doing missions in the Star Fox universe.

Shit idea man. Slippy is overall the most important of the team even if he is dead weight on the field.

Guy is the Donatello of the Star Fox team (Leo being Fox, Raph being Falco, Mike being Peppy)

I just want a good Starfox game without any unneccessary gimmicks or changes to the formula. Zero got two thirds of the way there. They could very easily salvage it with a re-release.

I know that, but you still have the option to kick him off. You can customize the Star Fox team however you want.

The way I pictured it, every member of the team can accompany you on missions if you so choose. You start off with Fox, Peppy and Slippy on the team. Falco would be off doing his own thing at the start of the game (prior to the game he was off getting back together with his old Hot Rodder buddies, and during the game's events he'd be dealing with a civil war on Zoness, since that's his homeworld and he has friends/family there) and you can choose to take him back into the team later.

In truth, I was thinking this could be a way of guilt tripping normalfags who hate Slippy, since you sometimes have dialogues with charactere you remove from the team. Kicking Slippy off the team would bring a number of disadvantages to your crew (such as greater difficulty in researching new tech for your arwings and gear, longer time to repair stuff, etc.) and would also force the player to sit through an emotional dialogue between Fox and Slippy. Something along the lines of Fox being concerned for Slippy's safety, and Slippy feeling really self-conscious and sad about how clumsy he is during missions, trying his hardest to make it up to the team through his technical know-how, etc.

Instead of trying to manipulative jackass tugging at peoples heartstrings, just remove the trait that makes slippy so easy to hate. Remove his grating high pitch voice, seriously that alone would do miles to improve his likability.

I like his voice. No other voice suits the character anyways. What, would you rather he be deep and baritone? Or have the voice of Dante from DMC?

Slippy's a stumpy, awkward, accident-prone nerd. What other voice could possibly suit him?

Yeah, he was in the SNES release.

He was a babbling synth made to sound like a frog croaking, not deep and baritone.

And you're an autistic nintendrone.

I've enjoyed every Star Fox game I've played (even Zero), but there's a universal flaw in every "real" Starfox game: how short and linear it always is. Yes, there are branching paths within the levels that let you choose different paths through the game, and a large part of the fun is completely mastering each level and memorizing the optimal path through each and getting the most points/powerups, but it still always ends up feeling like a relatively small amount of content for a AAA price tag.

Nintendo occasionally (misguidedly) attempts to mitigate this by throwing in other kinds of levels that take longer to complete, but these are nowhere near as fun as the linear shooter levels and also detract from the experience.

I submit to you that what Star Fox needs is a game that just blatantly, shamely recycles the gameplay style from the original/64 but with better graphics, but includes a level editor. As long as they had a wide variety of music and scenery to choose from (and let's face it, Star Trek has taught us that you can make a new planet just by palette swapping the sky and putting some new props down), it wouldn't get old for awhile. Having an unlimited supply of fan-made gauntlets to master would greatly increase the amount of gameplay, and creating them would be very fulfilling to a certain type of autist.

And speaking of autism, if Nintendo REALLY wanted to rake in the cash, they'd steal Sega's idea and include a "create your own furry" feature. Okay, you'd just get 30,000 Krystal repaints and Zero Suit Foxes, but they would sell SO many copies. If they wanted to go all-out, they could even include the ability to include your custom furries as guest characters in your levels, like how Katt was used in 64. Even give them custom dialogue by letting you type your textboxes and then pick a nonsense voice like the ones from Star Fox 1.

Add in some kind of multiplayer online component (dogfighting other players using your custom furries? A Salmon-Run style co-op mission - with a ranking at the end where the person who got shot/needed rescuing the most gets a Slippy icon slapped on them?)

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. The game described in the OP would be the main game, but it could also have an "arcade game" in the rec room of the Great Fox. This arcade game lets you play levels with the original Star Fox graphics and you can create/customize levels in it. This way they get a Mario Maker-style game that's really simple without having to blow a significant portion of the budget on it.

As for the multiplayer, I was thinking it'd mostly be team objective-based multiplayer as well as FFA deathmatch across a bunch of different maps, similar to Tribes. You could create your own avatar for the multiplayer based on a number of different species (Dog, Cat, Fox, Monkey, Lizard, Hare, Bird or Toad) and even give it a name (the game advises you to use the Star Fox naming convention where the first or last name is the species of your character and the other name is a very traditional-sounding name).

The setting of the multiplayer would be very simple, it'd be Cornerians vs. Venomians.

And that was perfect. He is a goddamn frog, he should sound like a goddamn frog.

Okay, so you want all the characters to babble when they talk like in the original game?

Or do you want the voice actors to apply "animal filters" to their voices, so that frogs sound all squeaky and croaky, and dogs sound like Scooby?

Wow, you're right, that'd be WAY less annoying. nigger are you dumb

t. Nintendrone

They already brought the babblese back in Command anyway.