Space Engineers

Just got back into it.

Show me what you've been building!

nothing, because i'm on linux.

I wish I could reproduce some Star Wars vehicles without the retardation that directional engines brings up, not to mention I am unable to correctly reproduce a star destroyer.

My ships randomly explode.

Explain

Does it still run like shit?

The most important question. I'd reinstall, but the game is a pretty intensive resource hog that still lags like a motherfucker and makes my whole PC rev up like a jet engine.

Ground vehicles are still grounded, they flip over and break if the wind blows, if anything I also wish armor was more resistant to light damage.

Also in general every other air vehicle needs not only vertical and horisontal thrusters, they always need hydrogen or ion/atmospheric thrusters which limits some design choices, hydrogen are ideal BUT they require lots of connections underneath your chasis.

Would anyone be interested in a community build?

Either a creative server for us o build a mega-ship or a world save we pass along as each one adds to it?

not a "survival" server for us to ruin each others days?
for us to form gangs and constantly shout at each other
desperately measuring each others metaphorical dicks bragging on how cool our ship is
only to raid once the other is offline.

That has it's draws too, but I was thinking more of a collaberative effort to build something great.

Like a really big, detailed mega-battleship with detailed interiors.
I got 24 mods with extra blocks install to create a perfect ship - bunk beds, tables, showers, gym equipment, more stairs, railings, pipes and many turrets - all to create a truly detailed ship interior and exterior.

But as you can see from the (main) engine blockā€¦it's a BIIIIIG ship and takes 10 forevers o build, even on creative

pic related

Over I've been with the game, have over 700 hours from when I used to play it a lot. Quite disappointed with it currently, planets is what did me in; the point at which they stopped focusing on making the game good and started pandering to the biggest clique on the forums.
I'm into medieval engineers now and it's quite good, though it needs a couple features, like Oxen and NPC's that can defend my walls and retrieve resources, but other than that, fairly solid. Stone is better than wood (with a mod one of the devs made, probably will be integrated) not only because it's more durable to siege fire, but because no hand weapon will damage it, where maces and swords can damage wood. It is heavier however, which factors into the structural integrity the game has. AKA a reason to build things a certain way AKA engineering. Built a massive rotary driven trebuchet that can actually be aimed 360 degrees the other night. Winds itself up because the counterweight is just that heavy.
Pics related are a town I'm building in creative.
1/?

3/3
That's only part of the castle-to-be, mind you.

I argued against the inclusion of "air" being a thing because it wasn't going to be explosive so there was no point worrying about it. In a real combat situation, people would be wearing their suits and depressurizing the ship to prevent fires, explosions, and unnecessary death by spacing. "Air" in Space Engineers adds none of this depth and instead just serves as a second Energy bar you have to worry about. It's fucking pointless.

Also I'm with you on the universal tubes. Making a tough ship is far too simple and it kills all the fun once you figure it out. And protecting your devices isn't even that important: a few spare reactors and you can suffer staggering battle damage and be fine. On a decent large ship this is a non-issue.

I prefer From the Depths for my engineering fix. Space Engineers does not fill the hole.

Air doesn't explode.
But pressurized rooms - hell yes. After all, it's space.

Yeah, it could absolutely have been great, lots of lost potential. Possibly by balancing the risk of flammable interiors with ship air filters not needing a changing or changing much less often, some kind of dexterity benefit when not wearing a suit, and having a nitrogen mix in (thanks technology progression) to prevent fires. Making oxygen last much longer but be much more rare like in real life would be better. I know there's a mod that gets the real ratios correct: it takes a heck of a lot more ice to pressurize anything, but as long as you have good pressurization/depressurization practices, it lasts a very long time.

I've heard a lot of good things about FTD but I don't want to/not sure about ponying up the shekels to get it.

He's a faggot that thinks the design implications of physics is retarded, rather than realizing that most sci fi shit is retarded.

He wants a star destroyer without direction/manouvering thrusters.

Silly goose

They've done improvements, but it's to the extent of emptying a pool with a teaspoon. The amount of
updates must be nearing the hundreds now.
Every once in a while I get back into it, find that there still isn't anything to do and planets are only good for making you appreciate being in space more, then get back out again. It's a shame, could be a nice, comfy game, but it's just completely broken.