RTS Thread - Nuclear Edition

You know the drill by now.

Also if you haven't discovered already anons managed to find a link to World in Conflict where you can download the whole game and play online again. Details below:

RTT game where you play a Cold War gone hot scenario with up to 16 players online. Has a pretty good campaign as well. Some people got together and made it free to download since it is no longer supported and brought back the multiplayer servers.

massgate.org/downloads.php

Download the full client, install it, then apply patch 1.000-1.010 then apply patch 1.010-1.011 and then the multiplayer fix. It is recommended that the patches and fix be in your install folder for it to work properly e.g.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Sierra Entertainment\World in Conflict
and you should run them before you start the game up otherwise it will ask you for a disc. A few anons managed to get it to work with their own copies of the game including Soviet Assault but for simplicity it is recommended you download and install via this method.

Get sent a CD key from
massgate.org/cdkeys/
If you don't want to give them your e-mail just make a burner account on teknek.io or something like that. Use it to get online and create an account.

Recommend you download the additional maps as all servers appear to run them
massgate.org/downloads.php#maps

Make sure everything is set to "No Filter"

See here
massgate.org/downloads.php#ds
You will need to open the ports but also download the patches likes so:
Run 1.010 server patch then 1,011 server patch. They will create a World in Conflict Soviet Assault folder under Ubikie:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\World in Conflict Soviet Assault Server
Put the contents from the Beta Patch in here then config server as you see fit which should be straightforward enough. Run the server from this folder as the other one won't work. Don't try to patch your World in Conflict folder under Sierra or else it will fuck up your game and make it unplayable. Make sure you configure your server's ini file here first and read the instructions as it is defaulted to be setup like a no fun allowed ranked server. Make sure ranked in particular is set from 1 to 0 as having unranked matches is tryhard faggot repellent. Other features you might want to check is minimum players required to start a game otherwise you could be scratching your asses never able to start a match at non-peak hours.

Eventually maybe, at moment anons are focused on getting this game to work. Nothing official or even unofficial has been announced.

That's fine, just try the campaign at least and enjoy it. RIP Brannon

Also is Nuke General Best General in Zero Hour? and also inb4 REEEEEE RTT, go suck a dick faggot

Other urls found in this thread:

gog.com/forum/general_archive/gog_arcanum_release_uses_warez_scene_crack/page1
archive.is/LguoQ#selection-2961.0-2973.29
turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-3ds-upgrade-panther-tank/490362
tomshardware.com/forum/38608-45-military-strategy-crash
moddb.com/mods/axis-allies-uncommon-valor
warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Arabian_Flying_Carpets
youtube.com/watch?v=sChebNN_UrM
nichegamer.com/2017/08/21/age-of-empires-definitive-edition-launches-october-19-2017/
nichegamer.com/2017/08/21/age-of-empires-ii-and-iii-definitive-editions-announced/
nichegamer.com/2017/08/21/age-of-empires-iv-officially-announced/
hardcoregaming101.net/kohan/kohan.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allometry
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Forgot to add
It's pretty simple enough actually and so easy to pickup there is no point explaining. However here are some guides regardless to help you out.
It should also worth noting that you can drop in and out of multiplayer matches anytime even when they are in progress. So if you are late to the party you can still join in and play and not be stuck waiting for the next round.

5 posts and then the thread gets abandonded just like the RTS genre?

Of coursh! You know the tradition by now! :^)

Who /forgedalliance/ here? That game's probably my favourite RTS.

Do you think we'll ever see good RTS being made again? For a long time now they've only ever killed themselves with the assfaggots pill it seems.

Probably not, cause they keep making the same mistakes consistently sort of like new MMO's

What was the reason for this being taken off steam?

Sierra died and Ubikike didn't want to support it. Not as dumb as what they did to RUSE which was can it due to copyright issues

Doesn't GoG still sell World in Conflict though?

Apparently so. I know the Steam Edition was borked and Ubikike didn't want to fix it and they also took it off their own store on Uplay. Maybe they got a special deal going with good old goyims?

GoG sold pirates cracks off as their own at one point, I don't think they give many fucks when it comes to what they put on their store.

Same, FAF is pretty nice.

No

kek, sauce?

gog.com/forum/general_archive/gog_arcanum_release_uses_warez_scene_crack/page1
I think they did it with Flatout too.

IT AIN'T ME
IT AIN'T ME

We need to do that with a full server for maximum keks.

Fukkin lol

REEEEEE WiC is RTT
Against the AI he sure is, just order nuke launchers to constantly attack ground near your base and turtle to your heart's content.

I actually find him good for early game rushes and harassment, even losing a few units with nuclear radiation spilling out near an enemy base stops them building up easily. Though if I must make a confession I think Dr Thrax is better
Still one thing I am sure we are all in agreement about. The USA Faction is shit

Say that to my king raptors and not online faggot, see what happens.

I will have tanks within your base before you get your first plane up.

yes
this is fair
and for some reason i keep going back to play it again and again regardless

Vanilla USA Air Force is pretty shit
In mods however AF is probably one of the most fun factions I have played

Yeah the Japs are like a joke faction in that game. I played Japs against my friend once and we found out that even the strongest Jap gun can barely kill the weakest US tank.

Just like irl

comp stomping is great though

It is the definitive comfy mode

Did anons give up playing WiC already?

I'll be sure to shill it when I'm back to the comfort of my home.

I downloaded World in Conflict yesterday and this is the most fun I've had with a video game in a year. Thanks OP.

What is with Al Gore destroying the world? Have I missed something?

Guys, do you know a way to crack Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2? My father bought a new laptop and he wants me to install those games on his laptop. Cracking Kane's Wrath was easy, but I can't find a Tiberian Sun crack. Well thanks to cncnet.org I can play skirmishes, but the campaign doesn't seem to work using that method.

Okay, I thought I google before I submit this and turns out there is something called tspatch that allows me to play the tiberian sun campaign. Do you guys happen to know if something similar exists for RA2?

Theres a crack on the Share threads megafiles.
I have it myself
Search there

you mean this one? archive.is/LguoQ#selection-2961.0-2973.29 pirating it right now.

Whatever is currently up
Megafiles haven't changed for years now.

Since it's going to be PR Weekend I won't be hosting any testing servers and doubt many anons will be playing WiC this weekend. Unless there is significant demand by anons who want somewhere comfy to play but even then I can't guarantee the server will be up constantly.

>and they don't stop attacking or getting free tanks and infantry constantly so you're expected to basically fight through a constant attack like vanilla

try them on a very urban map or as support for a bigger team, they are very good at infantry as well as artillery and mining, additionally their light tanks can get in some tight spots between buildings to hide from enemy mediums

or try them 1v1 on an open field if something inside you tingles weirdly when you're abused

This, don't the base tanks get speed and damage upgrades with him? Plus you can akbar your lowest health tank to the enemy.

Yup. Radiation also is a bitch to clean up and stops a lot of building.

Man, now I have a hankering for Generals. I only ever played against brutal AI though, could only afford the game after my friends moved on. Do you know how well it runs on 7 or Linux?

Nuke general was probably my second most played, the first being Alexis. Pretty much all of his stuff was synergistic, less money spent on reactors, Overlords that could actually move, tanks having more utility against infantry due to radiation. I still used to use the flame artillery though, firestorm rips through buildings so fast and you only need a few when they get the firing rate boost being behind a propaganda overlord

Is this a modernized panther with a 120mm gun?

That's exactly what it is.

It is. By this guy, after some searching.

turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-3ds-upgrade-panther-tank/490362

I don't particularly care for it. It uses the G turret instead of a Schmalturm or something original extrapolated from the same latewar ethic of 'get the turret facing as narrow as possible with a big pig-head mantlet and tapering side armor', but with a tacked-on bustle, questionable looking frontal ERA (very thin, mostly an aesthetic complaint), a haphazardly bored out old style mantlet for the big gun instead of a similar but new design, and a newer engine deck as an afterthought. It all clashes rather badly with the aesthetic of the Panther, without properly delving into '46-'47 long war would-be design ethics that would have come before slapping on the modernization upgrades. Sage for tangent.

Generals seems to have a memory leak issue with higher than Vista.

Dont know about Linux but the game should should run with only minor problems on Win7

Wasnt that a problem in general?

Thanks AI

Tiberian Sun is free now, isn't it?

Any good modern/active RTS out there with base building? Something similar to the old CnC and Blizzard games…

user, Tiberian Sun is freeware.

C&C Generals
No joke

I've played the shit out of Zero Hour back in the day, had no idea it was still active. Will look around for my CD. Anything else?

Company of Heroes OG
Total WaWa

What do you mean with modern?
Modern setting? Modern enough to be played on Win7 without any graphical glitches?
Nevertheless
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance
Battle Realms
Act of War and Act of Aggression
The Battle for Middle Earth games
Command & Conquer games except the last one

Red Alert 3 isn't that bad user :^)

Then its a good thing that I meant C&C4 Tiberian Twilight and not RA3

Anons played WiC together.
One player was named Al_Gore.
Al_Gore nuked people.
At least that's what I think happened.

Best feeling

[WORRY]

did you pre-order user and is it good?

no
yeah
kinda arcadey though

How are the unit Voices and are the germans voiced by the guys who did COH Panzer Elite/Wermacht Voice Actors?

Native voices for every faction (even the french) thank fuck for that
You mean the actual german VA or you mean the english/german one?

The English German basically Kai Wulff(Panzer Elite Grenadiers and Most of the Wermacht), Julius Jellinek (Wolfgang Berger from Opposing Fronts German Campaign) and Sebastian Christoph Jacob (Aldrich Berger, your brother in the Opposing Fronts German Campaign)

Idk
**I´m german so I switch to german or native voices for WW2 games as soon as I can*

It's also for PS4 :^)

You fugged ub :DD

Also can you change the course of the war and events in the game if you play well enough or are you doomed to follow history?

Missions are set

Thanks for answering user

Are there even games that let you do that?
The only game I know that has some sort of dynamically generated campaign was IL2- Sturmovik and maybe the DCG mod for Men of War

I remember a few games but the names escape me right now from my childhood. So little history games deal in what if scenarios when more game would benefit from them

That's an understatement if I ever saw one.

Falcon 4 has an incredible dynamic campaign system. The entire war/logistics is simulated with the AI making strategic decisions, and individual player or ai missions such as bombing runways/ destroying aircraft affecting the simulation.

If you remember them please do post them here
Alternate history/what if scenarios always piqued my interest
Also have a shitty webm of the german synchro

Panzercorps gives you alternate history scenarios depending on how well you do.

ACHTUNG, DEUTSCHE SOLDATEN!

Can you buy/upgrade new tanks/squads before each mission like in Codename: Panzers? Or do you start every mission with completely new units?

TELEFONMAST

Always new units
The only thing you do between missions is upgrade the commander you want to use

If you want althistory WWII in RTS form, the Axis & Allies RTS from 2004- in addition to being a nice game on its own, with a uniquely tidy single resource/double upkeep system of money, ammo & oil and multi unit regiments rather than individual ones- has a full Axis perspective campaign with a total victory in the European & Pacific fronts, with the first point of divergence being Crete not being such a fiasco in addition to Pearl Harbor going off with substantially better results, and things snowballing from there. I'd post gameplay, but I didn't see anything short & self contained looking rather than a huge 50 minute one-off or some LPer, so instead have the cozy main menu with Julian Soule doing the main theme.

I'll warn you that with a post-XP OS you may have to fiddle very slightly with it to get it working, but after messing with the keywords searching I managed to find the specific problem & fix once again. In my experience, the only thing keeping it from launching (beside using the obligatory compatibility mode & admin run, assuming you aren't using a virtual machine) is a Data Execution Prevention error, because apparently it's old enough that it isn't using memory in a fashion newer Windows defines as safe/authorized. I can't remember how transparent it was about what form of error it was or if I had to figure it out manually.

Just to keep things tidy in case an user doesn't want to dig around and doesn't know the procedure off the top of their head, here's the solution. Came from Tom's Hardware originally, of all places. tomshardware.com/forum/38608-45-military-strategy-crash

Whenever you happen to be done with the vanilla campaign, if you like the gameplay enough, you can try the Uncommon Valor mod, which is a ruthlessly autistic mess that adds absolutely everything historically relevant that they can fit into the engine, to the point of instability as they try to bash it all together. You can find that here.

moddb.com/mods/axis-allies-uncommon-valor

Mind that the original campaign is NOT compatible with Uncommon Valor, which you should use for WW2 mode instead. Make frequent saves to not get fucked out of a victory. I'm personally waiting until the next big update that fixes a lot of small errors & adds some more content, which will supposedly come 'before Labor Day' if the author is to be believed.

neat

I remember Axis & Allies
The skirmish against the AI was always such a clusterfuck in the lategame
good game though

Infantry doesn't get a moral bar anymore?

Nope
Only ammo and health plus fuel for tanks and supplies for the different trucks

STOP GIVING ME SO MANY FLAK 88 GUNS

So how would anons feel about an unofficial game night next weekend with World in Conflict? I can hostfag for about 5 hours a night maybe but I really can't commit. Any other fags tried hosting yet? Cause I know how to get it to work and can help.

Sure why not.

Thanks for posting this, I am enjoying just reading about that mod and the insane number of units.

I did not know I wanted this but I will definitely be playing it.

Any anons know how to fix Europe At War (Mod for Company of Heroes) skirmish? Because Everytime i try to play a map it always crashes

You playing the newer version from steam on a non steam version of CoH?

newer version from Steam user

"The skirmish was always such a clusterfuck in the late game
Last time I played Uncommon Valor I learned as much firsthand. Absolute motherfuckers is what they are, they never stop coming and seem to be smart enough to produce only the most resource efficient units. Soviet mechanized & armored guard spam is hell, as is fighting hordes of IS-7s in Stalingrad; considering I was playing the vanilla campaign in a version before Gizmotron removed it (thanks to the fact it's literally impossible to do the unit restriction scripting necessary to retain the original balance) this was a very rude awakening, since I'd tried to stick to OTL units and slightly later rather than gunning for the top of the tech tree and it was a downhill stalemate from there. Whenever the patch comes around, I'm probably going to use the AI tone-down patch, default UCV really dials them up to the point it's hard to ease in and learn if you aren't on your toes at all times.

I'm just glad to have been of assistance and to have spread a game I particularly liked.

Kind of. They aren't completely analogous, since A&A regiments are static while Kohan ones are mix & match, plus Kohan having two more upkeep resources which are tied to locations rather than moneysink ammo & oil structures, but there is definite and obvious lineage; seeing as both games are by TimeGate Studios, there's rather a reason for that.

Cant help you then besides the usual "delete and redownload mod and game or verify cache"
If that doesnt help go to the steam forums and ask/look there for info

I couldn't find my CD, you can download a torrent of it and it will still work multi IIRC.

Thats actually the units hearing the enemy
but if that still triggers your autism you can disable it in the options menu
camera zoom is pitiful agreed
just you wait until you see tanks eating shells from a 88 Flak like its nothing

I think the hearing thing is neat but should be kept to strictly noises that are played accurately depending on the enemies position.
As much as I hate mowas2 w/ robz it still has satisfying tank gameplay

Agreed
Thats one of the things I so love about CoH1
You can still hear random unit chatter and enemy vehicles through the FoW
Isnt that basically what the Blitzkrieg mod is to Company of Heroes (ie made by somebody who is a complete and utter wehraboo)?

Not sure why people claim this. Even in cohBK you can win as the allies as they are quite strong with the recent patches.
Robz too is not a onesided wheraboofest.
Both mods are quite nice and fairly balanced.

Blitzkrieg mod was guilty of going full Wehraboo but they changed it around and fixed a lot of imbalanced shit. I still don't like the gameplay of it honestly and I think it's heavily overrated as mods go but at least they fixed the issues. Problem you find is if you were to make a heavily "realistic" mod for any WW2 game German faction would be close to unplayable especially in regards to armoured units as a lot of them were complete trash. When you actually look at the state of a lot of German equipment and the shitshow that was their logistics you get more and more amazed how the hell they manged to hold out for so long.

Older versions were more in favour of the german side
If they changed that however I might give it a try again
I never played the mod so I just went with from what I´ve read (I remember that people bitched that the SS infantry were buffed liike fuck but infantry from other countires got nothing or were nerfed)

tactics and ingenuity and I guess experience
We even have a proverb that goes "Not macht erfinderisch" granted it was more of a post-war proverb but still

i don't like how quickly units can wipe each other out, have one with an Assault rifle on the brits side shooting at my Volks from the edge of their vision while under decent cover knocks their health out so quickly, that is just one example love what they did to arti though

The main problem I have with mowas at large is the retarded af AI.

This and the general clunky feel the game has make me mad everytime I play it.

This is like my favorite thing. I hate games where units shoot at each other from a range of 5m and no one dies.
Retarded as all hell. It's war, I want to see people die and lots of them too.

Spearhead mods for COH2 I found strikes the right sort of balance I've noticed even though it still needs a lot of fine tuning. Units in cover won't be slaughtered but if they are out in the open? Goodbye infantry. Also the weapon choices really matter and you need to position you men at the correct range.

You'd really enjoy World in Conflict honestly.

my problem is I don't react fast enough, and if a skirmish happens and i am focused on another skrimish or event then 3 seconds later i hear "THEY DEFENDED THE FATHERLAND", vanilla does it right for the most part

Already played WiC ages ago.

Vanilla is too slow for me also don't like how the devs started thinking Coh is an "e-sport" game akin to SC1/2

I´ve always found the "campaigns" in Assault Squad 2 to be utter garbage

You should play WiC with us again satan

Kicking the absolute shit out of everyone else in terms of doctrine for the early war compensating for on paper lack of performance, general qualitative parity elsewise, the occasional genuine qualitative edge in equipment dulled by macroscale problems, and Soviet tanks (and infantry, and planes, and a measure of commanders) being blind deaf crippled retards on almost as shoestring a logistical chain if not more that is sustained only by looting, rape & murder. The reason why WW2 games aren't 'realistic' in depicting the average of the German latewar order of battle is because said average consists of bloody-handed ambushes & fighting retreats with obsolete but well-upgraded equipment in combination with cutting edge newer equipment in not insubstantially smaller numbers, and since said order of battle is almost universally slowly ground down in protracted mop-up operations, that is not really viable to pick as the upper range of factional performance.

Instead, it's better to depict the uppermost ranges of their performance; big latewar tanks and field & factory rebuilt mediums slapping the shit out of the Soviets in steppe battles, winter mechanized pushes in the Ardennes supported by heavy assault guns, paratroopers & commandos raining hell in Italy forward of heavy defensive lines, reorganized veterans with extremely high individual firepower density, mass counterbattery fire, shock rocket barrages, and some of the meanest CAS in the war cracking tanks like safes en masse. Reason being that these are the order of the day for the places & times where history can maybe butterfly and they can win a victory of some kind or another in a what-if scenario, or act as a measure of where they might have been earlier and on average rather than as exception if the war had been run better.

In other words, no one wants to primarily see or hear the stories about podunk riflemen with no armor support and little artillery getting cased by Shermans & Hellcats with no tanks to shoot and more HE than they know what to do with, or T-34s getting themselves rocketed, ditched, and PaK'd to death as reconnaissance in force for even more T-34s to rush through on the second go with no way to realistically stop them. Unless you're a self-fellating burger or cyka on the other end of the spectrum from wehraboos pissy about casuals fetishizing Tigers, or are a straight up a Class 4 Wehraboo getting high on Savitri Devi & postwar memoirs, said situations have no merit and no mystique. Bursts of last ditch valor, innovation & desperation on the other hand are more palatable on average, and generally mark the upper line of where things could've gone and thus are what to depict as end tier in an RTS. And in any case, the former scenario of mundane historical loss can emerge through play anyways, just like a best-of-historical or better Axis unit lineup can emerge or a lineup of lesser units can punch above their weight class with good use.

In any case, Graviteam is an RTT that does simulate historical orders of battle with a large degree of simulism, and surprise surprise, it's easy to blow superior units on paper with shit vision apparatuses the fuck out with on paper inferior vehicles abusing sight & maneuver advantages, as in the early war German-Soviet scenario packs. The units that aren't inferior or par on paper are also generally very rare, as was historical. Other games and mods, like Blitzkrieg 2 for C&C Generals: Zero Hour, accurately simulate the early-mid-late war differences in German doctrine & equipment, rather than a hazy mid-to-late hodgepodge like CoH.

Furthermore, don't call the German armored lineup 'complete trash' with a straight face without taking a look at the joke that is the Soviet tank park next door, and to a lesser degree some of the British tank park. They waltzed through Poland & France and knocked them over using a stiff breeze of ill-armed INSTRUCTIONAL TANKS, and for that matter half of Russia for most of that trek. The rest they handled with interwar vehicles stretched to midwar standards in the Panzer III & IV and myriad rushed projects that still pulled their weight and would've pulled more if not for murdered logistics & underengineered oversights like the Panthers' weak final drive and unreinforced front torsion bars, not least to speak of the engine compartment.

I can say it with a straight face because the Soviet and British Tanks that were equivalent to what the Germans were using were flat out better, even to late war. Hell even the French Tanks were infinitely better than what the Germans had on average well into early-mid war.
The Germans had several major things going for them which helped create their "invincible panzers" myth you hear even about their early war Tanks. First they didn't use their Tanks like retards and used proper combined arms doctrine; Tanks were actually supported by infantry, artillery and air power. Second they understood the importance of the Tank crew being able to see and communicate with fellow forces without resorting to hand signals talking about use of radios and good optics to see out the Tank Lastly they understood that having a crewmember juggling between a million difference things at once was bad for efficiency so bought quickly into the idea of "3 man turrets" so someone wouldn't have to be Tank Commander, Gunner and Loader at same time for example.

Americans really like their mortars

I know that your post has already addressed the following issues, but I really must reiterate in detail and express exactly how awful these design flaws are.

Soviet tanks were blind, boondoggle messes that were nigh universally as unreliable as the wunderest of waffles, no matter the weight class; the vaunted T-34 in particular was a cramped interwar mess constrained by the very specific design consideration of all-around protection against anti-tank guns in the ~47mm class through highly sloped 45mm armor, sloping that does not matter versus high velocity 75mm guns. British tanks were a mess of flat angles in similar fashion to the Germans, except also adding fiddly armor castings to the mix, often very cramped internal mantlet arrangements, and constricting infantry/cruiser specifications resulting in paper mache speedsters (rather familiar to the Germans, these) and slow giants with just good enough guns or itty bitty things with giant guns for their size and not enough space to use them well. American tanks, which went as yet unmentioned, were very troubled until the Sherman. Neither of the first two caught on to the severe importance of all-around vision blocs until later in the war and the Soviets in particular paid dearly in blood, and never truly rectified the problem with how shit their vision devices were; the Americans didn't catch on to proper cupolas too quick either if I'm not mistaken, but compensated for this with good periscopes and the wonder that is the gunners' unity sight. Additionally, the British came up with the Valiant. I do not need to say more.

On paper, looking at gun & armor values, before one realizes that as you've stated their designs are hideously constrained by one-man turret designs with zit turrets instead of cupolas that make for hideous fire control & command efficiency, turning the entire vehicle into a rolling disaster waiting to happen. The only reason the famous Char B1 ambush incident occurred- where one of the big bastards intentionally waltzed into an ambush and knocked out 13 tanks- was because it literally could not be penned, thanks to the early war dispute over whether the Panzer III should receive a 37mm or 50mm gun, the 37mm party won for 'muh standardization;' if I don't recall incorrectly, Hitler was in the latter group on the sideline, but didn't intervene. He was still quite inclined to say 'I told you so' in so many significantly angrier words after France and was correct in doing so. Now, in spite of being impenetrable, the Char B1 failed miserably, because it was a fat, slow infantry tank penny packeted around the army and hampered by a gunner-loader-commander arrangement, in addition to a peculiar driver-gunner for the 75mm.

From the Wiki article, which is relatively charitable,

The thing to take away here shouldn't be that the French tanks were particularly well designed or formidable, but rather that the Germans were hampered by overconservative procurement that left them with popguns and more importantly that the Char was hit a severely disproportional 140 times compared to the response it levied, and was only able to respond in the first place rather than being immediately knocked out because of this gun-armor gap.

In any case, the rest is correct on the point of combined arms and vision apparatuses, which I have redundantly touched on. However, I strongly advise not to create this counter-mythos of the Germans having a poorly tank park, rather than merely an under-armed and armored one in the earliest stretch, and later a logistically troubled one that nonetheless still managed to be less hideous than their Soviet counterparts and mostly par with the Western opposition. Stick a long 50mm in the Panzer III before the war proper starts, which isn't a terribly unfeasible butterfly, and the Anglo-French tank forces would've been torn to bits. In spite of this lack, they were still torn to bits, save the heavy infantry tanks, which were merely made totally irrelevant by battlefield conditions and sidelined when not being marched directly into (not unlike the situation the Tiger II would later find itself in) which is rather indicative of the inherent (and not fully exploited) early German tank design virtues in addition to doctrine versus inherent unvirtues in Anglo-French design. You can fix a small gun in a big turret & thin plate armor; you can't do much if anything to unfuck a cast piece or an overly constrained hull.

I don't think any mod ever managed to fix the AI tendency to spam one type of unit in CoH. They especially love doctrine based call-in stuff and will fill the entire battlefield with just that unit if they can.

So thats why the I always had to deal with 3 american AI spamming Calliope tanks or british AI spamming Churchills
Fuck

It's shit - arcadey and boring. Blob simulator with reskins, skinnerbox leveling campaign and bland+boring maps.

naziboo detected.

That kind of thing always made the AI pretty obnoxious to play against. It gets pretty old when you realize that something like the Panzer Elite AI you're playing against has filled up their pop cap with only Hetzer tanks.

or Schwimmwagen

Welche Mods sind das und hast du Bock mal zu zocken?

Blitzkrieg mod
und nö

Warum zum Teufel denkst du, du kannst mein groĂźzĂĽgiges Angebot so einfach ablehnen. Ich werde meinen Weg haben. Amerika gewinnt immer!

k
und dennoch schreibst du deutsch

Google ĂĽbersetzen ist sehr gut jetzt habe ich dich schon mal

Nette Hitler-doppel
Wieauchimmer, du hackst die wörter trotzdem noch in den übersetzer rein um diese "konversation" in meiner muttersprache zu führen

Aber wie kommt es, dass du kein Spiel spielen willst?

Zum einen hab ich noch ne alte nicht-steam version von CoH1 und zum anderen hab ich keinen bock drauf tunngle oder gameranger oder eines der anderen programme runterzuladen und den ganzen scheiĂź einzurichten
plus ich bin generell schlecht im PvP

Why would germans be alarmed about their fellow troops?

I think you would like Codename Panzers: Cold War.

It's painfully average, but it's arguably the closest ever to a game set in an alternate Early Cold war rather than the slew of Vietnam and late 80's/Early 90's that's on the market. It has a pretty neat title too.

Bins mittlerweile zusehr gewöhnt durch das ganze englischgeschreibe die meisten wörter klein zu schreiben
sei kein Grammatiknazi, die sind nirgendwo gerne gesehen

A near-immediately hot Cold War is really a wonderful setting that needs to be used more often, second only to a lengthened World War 2 that isn't Wolfenstein-tier goofery. It looks neat after looking at a little bit of gameplay, I might try it.

80's Cold War gone hot scenario is not used enough. I can only think of World in Conflict and Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis as examples of this setting. Speaking of which WiC night when?

The problem I have with localization is that they rarely put the effort into adding the effects like distortion and radio noise. It can be immersion breaking when people are speaking clearly and calmly despite what's happening on screen.
And if it's a small country or has limited talent, you're usually stuck with the same voice actors who are generally shit.

sounds like my kind of thing, considering I'm shit at strategy games and arcadey FUN VIDEOGAMES' VIDYA stuff is what I enjoy most.
I hope this doesn't become the standard, I know how hard you guys have it with a "ded genre".
shid

Depends what you want from RTS. I find most RTS games especially newer ones focus far too much on the micromanagement side of things with the idea that you must be giving new orders every half a second as if you were controlling a unit directly. I don't find that fun personally and it doesn't feel that rewarding to play which is why I enjoy games that focus far more on the Strategy side of RTS like Supreme Commander as you get to enjoy watching your plans in motion. Most games don't let you do that as you must be constantly be giving commands or else your plans will fail so you never get to savor the moment.

or you have a weird translation that leads to awkwardly delivered lines
or you get only translated text but no/barely any native voice acting looking at you Total War Warhammer
One of the worst case I´ve heard in general is probably the polish "synchronisation" for Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl where its just the original russian audio with some random guy speaking the polish lines over it
Hopefully not
Its already bad enough that most RTS games nowadays try to be E-Sport shit

I just want something where you're in charge of the whole regiment/brigade and map isn't painfully small and actually contain forests, fields and villages.

As a britbong I'll chip this is about the british tanks; british tank doctrine was (until the end of the war when we rumbled what would be the first Main Battle Tank out in the last week/days of the war in europe) Infantry tanks and Cruiser Tanks. Infantry tanks were to support infantry with cover (with guns and literal physical cover) against defences. As a result you see things like the Matilda and Churchill tanks; both brick shithouses for their times since they didn't need to be faster than 'Sprinting for about ten seconds.'
Another thing to consider is England was, quite frankly, fucked after france. The army had effectively lost it's entire inventory after this new-fangled blitzkrieg doctrine wrecked their and france's shit seven ways from sunday, which is why there's a lot of stuff that isn't very good but very cheap and quick to make (looking at you STEN smg) since Jerry was quite literally within sight in france and it was (until russia kicked into high gear) a question of 'when' not 'if' we were getting invaded. The Matilda II used the exact same engines as london buses, for example. Anyway, back to infantry tanks.
The Churchill Mark VII had ~95mm side armour; Panzer IVH was about 105 in the front iirc, and the front of Churchill was 153mm. That was thicker than the Tiger I's, thicker than the Tiger I's gun mantle, which was ~122mm and the thickest part of the tank. If you watched Girls Und Panzer, and thought St. Gloria's churchill taking a stubby panzer IV's shell to the arse was bollocks? It wasn't.
They all had comparatively shite-tastic guns though. The Churchill was toyed with being upgunned to a 17pdr (the 'Black Prince' variant, which I've actually seen in the bovingdon tank museum) but by the time a prototype was around the Centurian MBT was there, and did everything it did with more mobility, and bongistan had (finally) realised you didn't need seperate tanks, you needed a, er, MAIN tank for battles. A 'Main Battle Tank' even.

The cruiser tanks were there to exploit any openings the infantry (and infantry tanks) made, essentially blitzkrieg tanks. Hence they were fast bastards; Cromwell boasted so fast a speed needed limiters or the christie suspension would tear itself apart.
Amusingly, the Cruiser tanks still exist; the MBTs are designated as them, and I think the Challenger II is …Cruiser tank Mark IX I think?

What pisses me off about the Blitzkrieg mod most of all is how it got the game to desynch every multiplayer game against an AI. RTS's already have such a small playerbase, and that just killed playing it with some of my friends.

80mm sharp, actually. The Tiger I had 102mm front armor and 80mm side armor. Additionally, the Tiger I's mantlet for most the production was 125mm at its thinnest (except the areas in front of the gun trunnions & turret roof and chin, which were 90 and 100mm respectively but backed by more steel behind them, and the 110mm area directly around the gunsight) and ranged from 125 to 150mm. With the addition of high steel quality through the entire Tiger I production run- even after alloy quality becomes a problem in the late war for other production lines- it was a tough nut to crack, to say the least. And as this user has mentioned, the Churchill VII has that highest thickness as its uniform front armor rating.

It ought be noted that even as I disdain the stark division in Anglo-French design of the infantry/cruiser concepts, the Germans weren't clean of this sin either. The Panzer III & IV were designed with much the same mindset, with the III as an anti-tank vehicle & primary breakthrough exploiter and the IV as a howitzer carrier, although they weren't as starkly different in armoring; in fact, their chassis dimensions were close to identical, differing mostly only in the size of their turret rings and top superstructure width to support them and the layouts of their glacis plates. This may, in fact, have been rather worse than developing separate classes of invalid snail tank & anorexic cheetah tank. I'd go on further, but not unasked, as I'm going on too many tangents already.

Are Cossacks 3 or Total War Warhammer worth pirating?

Yes

Reich reporting

BMS is a masterpiece of a mod, it's a shame that the serbian theater doesn't work on my PC for some reason. But the Israel one does

So what happened to the WiC gamenight?

what happened to the RTS genre

pure coincedence

Sudden Strike 4 just came out, is it any good?

how about read the thread you fucking retard.

Anyone who played DOW II and Liked The Characters from the Campaign, Got it from a friend of mine who bought the DOW III Comics, sent me pic related

Not sure if its legit but he told me Tarkus got Stabbed though not dead, Cyrus and Martellus got overrun by Orks

I see you in these threads fairly often Fletcher. I like ya.

I'm getting kind of tired of WWII RTS and RTS with guns in general. I feel like playing one where armies slash'n'smash each other, but I want to play something that's new to me, something a bit less known since I've already played all the well-known and kinda-niche-but-every-RTS-player-knows-them kinda games. Also, I don't mind if it has magic and shit like that.

American Conquest
Battle Realms
Glest
Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends
If you have not played any of these I recommend playing them

Whos the guy who got fried and is smoking? Looks like the player character.

Its a new Guy Named Olivarr in which most people say its retcon Hairgel or reskin new guy that uses some design of Hairgel

Pic Related

Never heard of Glest, I'll give it a spin.

It says their mastery over Hairgel goes back to the Horus Hairesy

Oh forgot, The guy that was on Fire is Martellus

Remember to check the Glest wiki if you want mods for it

New trailer for a game called Iron Harvest. Mecha, in my WWI?

hype is real

I won't get my hoes up.

YES
YEEEEEEES

I'm gonna check that out.

What did Porchmonkey fuck up again?

I came

Yeah that's a bug, posting in a thread solves that.

I WANT TO BELIEVE

Not gonna lie, lads. This got my pretty hyped.

I heard they were making a trilogy of these games. Is that true?

Yeah, and they're all supposed to combine in to one, giant, game. Question is if that game is anywhere close to being worth your shekels, considering the final product is going to be 180 dolla doolies without any DLC included my personal answer is only if you get it on sale and install the right mods, not sure if mods will work properly with the pirated versions

3rd game speculated factions are Ogre Kingdoms, Ind, Nippon (Shogun 2) and Cathay (China) unless being cunts Ogre Kingdoms are DLC and 4th faction is Chaos Daemons/Mongolia Chaos

What about the tomb kangz?

DLC

CA Released Campaign Map and Their Missing Along with Araby

Best Faction because of this Unit:
Arabian Airforce

Also Skaven Leaked Campaign Mechanics:
youtube.com/watch?v=sChebNN_UrM

I suspect game 3 will be the four different Chaos gods, Ogre Kingdoms, and Chaos Dwarves along with a few other races from previous games making a showing here and there. As for minor factions like Cathy and Ind? A while back I would've dismissed them outright but after Norsca and the fact we are getting Dawi Zharr in the future is making me think otherwise, to the point I have become autistic and made a list of most likely to least likely:
Far and away the most widely requested and desired of the minor factions, I refuse to believe CA is too stupid to see all the money they could make from it
Already has an army list and some lore as well, most of the models would just be the same human skeletons they've already been using with a brown paint job, and are reasonably popular
Also pretty well liked, and making shit for them would be ridiculously easy and cheap and not just because of the old dogs of war army list. Only thing holding them back is that they are incredibly unimportant and CA may not be interested in making what amounts to mostly just a weaker Empire with some unique things between them
Also have an army list, even their own magic, and playing as an army of thicc amazons in fur bikini's has an appeal to it not found in any of the other factions, but not all that much to work with so if CA wants them to be interesting they'll have to create a lot of OC for them. Still have a far better chance at becoming playable than all of the others I'm about to delve in to
No army list, barely any lore to work with, far away from most of Warhammer's factions, but just think of alllllllll those Chinese players giving up their shekels to play as themselves
Second verse, same as the first, but replace Woo with Poo
And we now reach the point of basically never going to fucking happen, they have some lore laying around, mostly from old warhammer pen and paper RPG's but don't have anywhere close to the market of potential customers have in comparison to Cathy, Ind, or hell, even Nippon. Not to mention their starting location just plain sucks; only way to fix that is to fuck around with the campaign map and CA is far too lazy for that
These guys were a thing, but all their shit was for a spin off game and that was basically it, only way I can see it happening is if they suddenly get really popular because of that naval Warhammer game
They are a land to the far east that trained skaven to be ninja's. That's it. Sure, making them in to a real force wouldn't be hard from a technical standpoint; just port models from Shogun 2 and you'd be mostly finished except for some monsters and paint jobs but you'd basically write ALL of their background lore, their army roster, legendary lords, geography, items, yourself and do you really think CA would put in that much effort for a faction that is as far from ALL the other factions as they could possibly get?
Literally impossible, GeeDubs lost the rights to ol Malice a long as time ago

Guaranteed DLC for WaWa 2

Never forget the Arabian Airforce

If any Arabians are reading this post: fuck you, hope the ratmen cuck you by stealing your goats from you

The 3rd game is the Chaos factions. This why Chaos wasn't supposed to be playable in the first game, but the backlash they got forced them to implement Chaos as the lackluster playable race they are now.

It is stupid when they Survived longer than the Dwarves during the End Times due to Sand Magic, Arabian Airforce and Sand. I too wish they all burn

The only thing to come out of Ed Times that was good were the models, especially Nagash's

Here's the Skaven campaign intro video.

downloadan WiC now
wew lads

Yeah, that's shit.

Should I be happy rts will stay dead for another few years, or sad

Skaven campaign gameplay/mechanics.

Happy?
I mean with RTS games so few and far between we can actually have games that have some resemblance of quality and love put into them
right?

Second great gaming crash when

nice game

And then they issued 50% off coupons in a last desperate attempt to sell a game that no one wants.

One day soon hopefully developers will learn that RTS games are really not that fucking complicated and don't require half-assed pandering or casualization.

The problem is that modern RTS games all try to be esports cancer instead of focusing on being a good game

Has the esport angle of things ever worked out for any RTS besides starcraft? By now I don't see how it isn't extremely clear for anyone releasing one of these crippled Frankenstein RTS these days that their game is never going to become the next big thing with gookclick addicts or pull away assfaggot players from the big two because some of the mechanics are shoved into a different game entirely.

It hasn't but that won't stop the suits from trying

It didn't even work out that well for Starcraft as that scene died off as soon as ASSFAGGOTS appeared.

Starcraft:BW got it's Esports backing by accident. It's essentially a disaster management/spreading game when you get down to it. That 12 unit selection unit, while exceptionally irritating does enforce a level of depth/management that most RTS games can't really do (C&C, SC2, Retarded OKW players in CoH2 etc)

What if you set the voice for the Allies to German and the voice for the Enemies to English? … or the voice for either faction to Japanese?

Idk
I uninstalled it after a couple of missions

It's a bit late to start a gamenight for WiC but may see about setting one for the week after next.

The sad thing is it actually is possible to streamline an RTS, look at R.U.S.E. of all things. You just need to know what to cut and what to leave.

Why did RTS have to die?

consoles and casuals

Skaven army roster.

Queek Headtaker
Mounts: None
Lord Skrolk
Uses Lore of Plague
Grey Seer
Uses Lores of either Plague or Ruin
Mounts: Foot, Screaming Bell
Warlord
Mounts: Foot, Bonebreaker
Assassin
Warlock Engineer
Plague Priest
Uses Lore of Plague
Mounts: Foot, Plague Furnace
Skavenslaves
Skavenslave Spears
Skavenslave Slingers
Clanrats
Clanrats (Shields)
Clanrat Spears
Clanrats Spears (Shields)
Stormvermin (Halberds)
Stormvermin (Sword & Shields)
Plague Monks
Plague Monk Censer Bearers
Death Runners
Night Runners
Night Runners (Slings)
Gutter Runners
Gutter Runners (Poison)
Gutter Runner Slingers
Gutter Runner Slingers (Poison)
Poison Wind Globadiers
Death Globe Bombardiers
Warpfire Thrower
Rat Ogres
Plagueclaw Catapult
Warp Lightning Cannon
Doomwheel
Hell Pit Abomination

I would actually argue that the tryhard competitive e-sports scene did more to kill RTS than consoles did

that's a symptom of casuals

Tryhards and casuals are completely different.

Casuals want an easy game because they don't want to, or can't, improve their own skillset. Tryhards are hyper-aggressive, APM-obsessed people who boil every RTS down to little more than a series of build orders and by-the-numbers strategies.

casuals only play afew kinda games, tryhards only play afew kinda games, ergo tryhards are casual extremed

Koreans don't really impact the Western market, so it can't be the tryhards who killed it. It makes no sense as RTS were dying already before Starcraft became as big as it is now.
From EA buying Westwood to Cavedog dying out of nowhere due to lack of income from TA:Kingdomgs to Assembly Studios being gutted by Micro$hit to other shit i keep forgetting about other companies.

I think what really fucked the genre over was that the big wigs got bought behind the scenes and everyone else attempting to do something either got scared or fucked up in one way or another. I mean, Blizzard can't make RTS or Diablo-styled games anymore because of WoW-fed executives meddling with everything to casualize everything in pursuit of profits.

that's more of a problem with rampant capitalism on a young market

Any of you losers played Cossacks 3? I heard it was complete shit on release but it's "mostly positive" on steam and only ÂŁ15.

nice

Monolies aren't exactly because of capitalism, but rather the people whom abuse the capitalist system for the detriment of others and their own gain. Though, you're right, RTS is a hobby and it was killed by corporate stooges attempting to make it something more than what it is– a niche genre into a multimillion cashcow.

At least we're still getting a few new releases per year, it could be much better though, almost all of them are either shit or MOBA attempts in disguise.

more money beats less money and you need money in order to make money. the problem with currency summed up I'd say

i swear the bots in the custom factions are fucking brain dead, Soviets are fun as fuck though

Yeah, but too bad you cant zoom in to have a really close look

Played it on launch until the Rise to Glory DLC hit
Its pretty underwhelming and it is basically nothing more that Cossacks European Wars with better graphics and better pathfinding
Dont know if anything big changed after Guardians of the Highlands and Path to Grandeur hit, but I doubt it
Still worth playing though if you just want to play an updated Cossacks 1

Agreed with the bots but I personally dislike the soviets (just too fuel hungry)
My allies (also both Soviet) were just spamming those amphibious looking jeeps d switched to T34/76 with the occasional IS-2 later down the line an the Ostheer just spammed Marder 3 and Panzer 3 tanks at my AT guns until it decided that my heavy MG that was way behind my AT guns was a nuisance and bombed with a Stuka bomb

So, hows Cossacks 3?

Generally the bots in Relic games are braindead overall and only work if cheating to ridiculous levels. Like when the bots could snipe your stealth units in COH2

WiC night when?

Shit, it was a cheap money grab

I know its a Remake of 1, but is it good?

So uhhh, Microsoft unveiled a few things at Gamescom.

nichegamer.com/2017/08/21/age-of-empires-definitive-edition-launches-october-19-2017/
nichegamer.com/2017/08/21/age-of-empires-ii-and-iii-definitive-editions-announced/
nichegamer.com/2017/08/21/age-of-empires-iv-officially-announced/

3 has actually aged pretty well though, not sure how you could improve the graphics.

So Relic will shit out another attempt to make assfaggot/RTS hybrid and the probable windows 10 exclusivity will make for even fewer sales on another failed product.

Cool stuff, I'm excited.

Only if you consider Shogun 2 with its expandalone ROTS/FOTS to be a trilogy.

Oh boy, this cant end well
No hype after the shitshow that was DoW3 and I honestly hope it crashes and burns like it
I honestly hope thought that this HD remake wave Micro$hit is pulling wont result in a remake of Age of Mythology or Rise of Nations

If only you knew how bad things really were

They fucked up once, doesn't mean they'll do it again.

Hello ARAZAKI-PC.

hardcoregaming101.net/kohan/kohan.htm
I miss it.

Age of Empires II still has thousands of players on both Steam and Voobly

Get the fuck out of this board

So will Spellforce 3 be any good anons?

I know about these extended editions but did they really add anything of value besides bloom everywhere?

Hi

I doubt it

They were dumb enough to think that they could pull off a MOBA hybrid after multiple RTS developers have committed suicide on the altar of MOBA.

What was even more hilarious that there was already an attempt to make a 40k MOBA and it failed miserably.

Is KnightShift or Sacrafice any good? I've been hungering for another game like spellforce and I dug these up, but am having difficulty learning more about them.

Never heard of Knightshift but Sacrifice is pretty good. I've only played a bit of spellforce 2 and they're not that close. Sacrifice is much more oriented towards the 3rd person action with minor RTS elements.
You play a wizard and you use mana to summon minions you can give basic commands to (stand here, attack this) and you can cast spells. You unlock units (and spells I think) by doing missions for the 7 gods and doing missions for some starts to lock you out of others. You character comments on your choices too so there is a nice "your choices matter" element, I've not compelted it so I'm not sure how far that goes but I've played it a few times; all the gods have their own unique units and missions so theres plenty of content.

My main gripe would be its very shallow and I dont just mean the camera height, its very RTS-lite as per the times.
I would definitely recommend it, it's pretty novel.

The jew theater guys did put some effort into it though, with the native Israeli aircraft weapon systems and the ground units modeled pretty well.

Have you tried any of the Wargame series? The gameplay is much more of a microhell than blitzkrieg ever was but it's pretty fun.

Wew, I got that on a game newspaper bonus CD ten years ago. It's okay as far as I can remember. The first half of the campaign is focussed on heroes doing quests, but you can always play skirmishes with base building and proper armies. There also was a map editor for the autistic. I can't tell you much about the magic system because it's been ages. I think it was based on a skill tree.

SupCom: FA is still basically one of the best RTS games that exists and FAF is one of the most active existing RTS communities, able to get a 1v1 in under a minute on peak times and 5 on other times.
But god it hurts to learn to play. THere's so much content and its hard to manage so much shit going on at once.

Problem with teamplay matches is that often you end up carrying the matches for tryhards that think they are shithot but are actually beyond awful. WiC is worst for this which is why the non-ranked servers were so much better and fun.

Wish I had a reaction image smug enough for this.

Here, you can use this one (((for free)))
I was genuinely hoping this was going to be a good game until gameplay trailers were revealed. Cinematic trailer looked dope. Did they ever add Chaos or any other races?

Wish I could do this when my night shift ends.
Is there some kind of alternative to the default camera controls for "World in Conflict"? Something similar to Darwinia, maybe? Or do I just need to get used to it?

Why is Blizzard doing SC Remastered? Was SC2 so bad?

IMO it had a good start with Wings of Liberty but Heart of the Swarm was more of a letdown even as a Zerg player
Legacy of the Void was fanfic tier and heard that the Nova Ops campaign was underwhelming and the Co-Op was too repetitive and extra commanders being to expensive (IIRC 5$/commander)

That is pretty gay to be honest user but please continue

Is anyone still playing WiC?

Was wanting to get back into it after an absense, why?

I want to but I guess most anons are playing TF2V

How do I git gud at Ultimate Apocalypse.

The amount of micro necessary against AI is killing me.

Who are you playing as?

Been trying mostly Space Marines and Dark Eldar. Space Marines have the worst starting unit of all factions, scouts, and it's easy to get overrun due to your low troop quantity. Dark Eldar are good since you have speed and morale damage on your side, but all their units, even heroes, are made of glass. It takes me until mid-game to get a decent soul economy going, and by then the enemy is overrunning me.

Try to get the stormraven ASAP and don't build a lot of scouts just 3-4 squads that can hold until tacticals arrive and then just rush super heavies while building assault marines and devestators. I constantly keep getting overrun as well and I just can't beat 'nids and orks. Not sure about the DEldar I only layed them once or twice.

Just launched the server in case you fags are interested. I'll be on TF2V though for a bit unless I get bored in which case I'll come join you

I just want a game that is like Wargame EE but not shit.

World in Conflict.

Wargame RD

R.U.S.E

Walker mechs of that scale are ridiculously unfeasible. The ground pressure would have them instantly sink down.

I agree that that design wouldn't work but it's all a matter of weight distribution really so massive walkers could work if it has the right engines to support it

Square-cubed law, mate. Scaling up those bugs would just see them collapse under their own weight.

and yet in the carboniferous period there was giant insects and arachnids

Wew

Giant as in the size of a bird, not the size of a battle walker. Plus the only thing allowing those bugs to exist were higher levels of oxygen in the atmosphere. Certain ants can lift up to 100 times their own weight, but an ant of human size and weight would collapse on itself, and these problems only get worse the bigger you get.

I suppose it isn't a very good comparison to make since dinosaurs were much bigger then any insect at the time but still weren't larger then most buildings

It's simple. When you take an object and scale it up, it's mass grows linearly with its volume, so scale^3. The legs' ability to hold that mass up scales with their diameter, so scale^2. This means that the relative size of the legs needs to increase as the object is scaled up. Same principle with the ground pressure, which is why water striders can stand on the surface of water and bigger animals can not.

See here for some further examples:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allometry

that wasn't being argued tbh

It is also because the exoskeleton configuration is much more efficient than a vertebrate's endoskeleton configuration.
A giant ant with those proportions wouldn't be very impressive, but it still should be able to hold itself together quite well considering there are humans walking around with legs just as skinny. But giant insects would have thicker, stockier legs. And these would be significantly stronger than any vertebrate if they sorted out the "oxygen" thing.
Also, there were arthropods way bigger than birds in the Carboniferous. There was that centipede that was several meters long, for example. And if I recall correctly, those dragonflies were as big as eagles.

Anyway hope we get a gamenight running for WiC.

That's why I wrote that the same principle applies to the ground pressure. The mass grows cubically, the surface below it by the square. Scaling something up therefore increases its surface pressure unless you increase the area of ground contact. A fuckhuge walker mech would sink into normal ground as if it were a swamp, whereas the same model might be feasible scaled down to a car's size. Why do you think nobody built land cruisers? Same problem, they'd spend most of the time being stuck. And before you argue with the Eiffel Tower again, first of all it has a proper foundation which a walker will not, and secondly it's built in a filigrane way to optimize the height-to-mass ratio that would be utterly unsuited for any military purpose.

I saved it, I just need to find a way to turn it into a webm on this computer

yeah I suppose it'd take alot more to build something bigger and yeah I suppose we'll never get anything close to a land cruiser

I always like that in MYTH: The Fallen Lords, the giant Trow just kick the shorter units.

What's your preferred setting?
Sci-fi? Modern with a few twists? Sorcery&swords?

Sci-fi is my favorite in theory because I think it has the best potential for interesting units, factions and just cool aesthetics, but I've never actually played any RTS with a sci-fi setting and don't really know of any either. Closest thing would be Star Wars RTS like Force Commander and Empire at War but SW is pretty far away from being 'Sci-fi'.

I prefer Sci-fi since it can have /has better variety for units , general looks and interesting story

consoles

I could've sworn I've seen art like this on Deviant Art years ago.

Science fiction, mostly because I can't stand medieval theme completely (unless it's heavy on fantasy a-la Warcraft or Primitive Wars) and modern is just boring most of the time.

Whatever the style, I like it to have some level of verisimilitude, if that makes sense. People that are shot drop dead. Tanks that are penetrated will tend to suffer miserable consequences shortly thereafter. Or else, the scale is high enough that these things can be more coarsely simulated without it being noticeable. Economy is based either on supply lines, exterior ticking income or gigantic-scale fluid resources, rather than finite and heavily compacted points.

So, things like modded Company of Heroes, Men of War, SupCom, so on, not that I'm very good at them. Things are a little less stringent for fantasy/medieval, where I just like to have unit blocs as opposed to individual men at a minimum. I do like some things that go outside these confines, though. Warcraft 3 & C&C Generals were fun back in the day and still are.

You probably did. The game is derived from a very obscure board game called Scythe, which is itself derived from the artwork of Jakub Rozalski. Very painterly style, for lack of better words on my part. A good artstyle can't make a game on its own, unfortunately. I just want to see some gameplay proper before I move either way away from cautious optimism.

I do recall the artist being Polish or something, that might have been it.
Speaking of artstyle not making a good game, I really like Rain World's art style, but I don't know how it plays. Any opinions?

Just got a copy of this at isozone and tried it out, remember playing it years ago.
Turns out it's a Starcraft clone. Tech trees and everything. Couple of units are unlocked by different buildings, but they all come out of the same building and you can combine certain units the same way you combine Templars into an Archon.
I've only played one custom game with the mutant dinosaurs (fucking tyranosaur costs 5000 berries and hogs up 20 units, for comparison, a Hydralisk clone dino costs 250 berries and 1 takes up a single unit)

So WiC offweekend next week?

I've been browsing the spellforce 3 steam community just to see what it's like. It's been hard because most people are focusing on retarded shit like the lore and rpg elements.

However, I occasionally see a hint that it's going to be really mediocre, because apparently the races are just clones of each other. I mean they where pretty similar in 1, but they still had their quirks like
Light races
Dark Races

Not to mention every race had a titan, which made it cool looking forward to see what it is. I feel like if that's gone then what else is gone?

Didn't mass effect rip off deviantart to? Are professional artists just going to deviantart and stealing whatever ideas come to them?

So apparently CA are increasing the pace of battles to accentuate micro even more. Multiplayer is the fucking bane of RTS. Everything's balanced around multiplayer now.

A friend of mine already pirated the beta and apparently the setting (story-wise) is going to be prequel stuff so no Eldritch blob titans or the such and he said the resource gathering was awkward (something about town capture points that give you that stuff periodically)
He also got annoyed about the bleak colour palette the game has to offer

Sci-fi hands down. 4x, even real time, can also do sword and sorcery but turn-based does better in that setting. Modern (or historical) is only good for wargaming and grand strategy.

It's okay. I never really liked platformers so I was only really playing it for what the enemies are like and the setting etc. It was pretty underwhelming on the whole.

Most likely. I thought it was a killa kan for a second though.

I've been playing Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Sun. It's pretty good but holy SHIT am I bad at RTS. I can't seem to get my head around the economy because I always seem to run out of tiberium to harvest and suddenly stall my meat grinder that keeps the enemy at bay and get overrun. Are turrets really useful in this game? I usually never build them and just imperial guard my way to victory sacrificing as many lives as possible rather than turtle and inch forward.
That destroy the docks mission in Alexandra is kicking my ass and I just don't know what to do.

It's Tiberium Whorez numbnuts
Tiberian Sun was C&C2
Good for detecting stealth units but not as your primary defense. Using Tanks with say an anti-infantry turret is better.
Mammoth Tank spam

This guy is a robot.
From what I remember, you get Mammoth Tanks and Zone Troopers in this mission. But the flame infantry they send at you manage to killed the troopers. So what I do is gather a few mammoth tanks and put a commando behind them to pick off infantry.

GDI turrets are good at the start but massed Nod vehicles or infantry make them pretty bad.

Yes

That will definitely come in handy. That idea of using the jump packs to get in behind the base and attack the critical structures is really neat. I might have to practice a bit on guerrilla tactics and positioning to make the most out of my troops. Thanks, user.

Mixed forces is always a must but is there a specific combination that's better than others? I guess tanks+anti-infantry turrets would be about as effective as anti-infantry APCs+anti-vehicle turrets.

APCs with snipers tend to be effective and mix in either predator or mammoth tanks and you should be good.