FFXIII

So I kind of want to play a newer JRPG and I was wonder if any of the XIII games were any good or if it was just a waifu circle jerk from the get go?

no, they are all awful. just fap to the pron

Such little things is the finest indicator of how the entire game was made.

Dear god no user, no.

Lightning Returns was good if you ignored the story.

huh?

The gameplay is more satisfying than most FFs - as long as you're not a retard that's playing defensively and making battles take 20x longer than they should - but the story is shit and it's a fucking chore to play through. Corridors XIII isn't an exaggeration.

Well shit, guess I'll pass on the XIII series then. Are there any games on PC similar to Lost Odyssey then?

FFXIII is better than FFX for the battle system alone

Both are corridor simulators

can you go into detail about that

i am a no-taste faglord who unironically loved FFXII and even i think FFXIII is legitimately one of the worst games made in the last couple generations. the main character is a one-dimensional, unlikable cunt, the story is disconnected and truly retarded, the battle system is fucked, everything about it is a failure.

play shadow hearts covenant instead. at least it's up-front about how linear it is, has a much better battle system, and has a professional wrestler character

The last good Final Fantasy was 9. Anybody who says anything different is wrong and a faggot. Thread over. Shit bait.

see

I mean, I suppose it's not absolutely required as both main stories are stand-alone, but events and returning characters have a lot more meaning if played in order, in my experiences.

XIII-2 was the only playable title of that three part miscarriage.

Professional wrestling vampire and probable homosexual

Huh?

It also had one of the best final boss themes in the series
Too bad it was used for Hope

It's only that you won't understand what yuri is so desperate to do or who the final boss really is unless you play the first one. Of course you can just read bios and see it was your soldier buddy and your pretty boring GF. The girl from the second game was much better. Too bad she only becomes your mom when you get the real end.

I'm honestly surprised the Man Festival made it overseas, but I suppose it does help when the person given the game to translate had developed a personal liking for the series with the prior entry.

I still think that if you play the prior game beforehand, and get attached the characters and how they relate, it'll do a lot to help the second one. And it's not like SH1 is a bad game either.

This post should be taken as gospel.

Brave Exvius is aight though.

13 has a great battle system but most of the game doesn't take advantage of it.

13-2 is more of the same.

13-3 is great.

I think it was FFX that made explicitly modern UI and left that classic cursor in it. It felt jarring as fuck. I mean you either make everything modern or everything retro.
Shit just clashes, and they keep doing it ever since.

I have tried to finish this like 4-5 times and have fallen asleep each time I've booted the game up. It's just so boring.

It's time to stop posting right now.

It has the prettiest soundtrack I know of, and the environments were beautiful. Everything else is kinda meh, though some do like the battle system. Not really worth playing, but I can't bring myself to hate it.

The battle system in 13 is actually pretty fun. The problem is that most of the game doesn't allow you to actually use it since they restrict your party and class choices so heavily. You have like 20+ hours of rails before you get some freedom. It's pretty hard to recommend playing with all that in mind, even though I enjoy the later part of the game.

13-2 is shit, unless you want to fap to Serah.

13-3 is the best of the trilogy to me. The battle system is great, it has a lot of extra stuff to do, and it offers a nice amount of customization. The ending is also so fucking stupid it ends up being pretty entertaining, at least the first time. This is the only one I could safely recommend.

The writing and general story is shit in all of them.

2 is better, but it was a chrono trigger sequel remade because the XIII made too many assets in their incompetence so they had to make their money back.
lightning returns is also a canned valkyrie profile but its a shit game.

The finale of Lightning Returns gave me an appreciation for what they were trying to do with the story. Lightning appearing in what looks like our Earth was probably one of the greatest scenes in the final fantasy franchise.

XIII Trilogy is not that bad for an ADVENTURE rpg if you don't expect things like complex mechanics and choice and consequence. It's laid back, linear, story-heavy with good art and music (and waifus of course). Battle mechanics get better and offer more freedom in latter titles as user already said.

I wouldnt touch XIII or it's sequels with a ten foot pole

People have always complained about it being a corridor simulator but honestly I'm not going to complain about a lack of maze-like levels in an RPG. I haven't hear anything about the story or the characters which means I'd be able to play it blind but it also implies the story and characters are complete un-noteworthy.

Been meaning to play an RPG for a while, though. I have the game downloaded and everything but I think I'd rather play X since I only played the first half and I doubt anyone would argue which of the two is better.

The corridor simulator comment kind of applies to every game post 4, but 13 takes until the last quarter of the game to give you freedom
Major improvement from the first, shitloads of different paths and has a time travel gimmick letting you visit the same place in a variety of time periods
Completely different game from the previous two.
Fully open, but essentially funnels you into rushing through the story anyway due to the Majora's Mask-esque time limit.
Only unlike MM you can't reverse time.
You can activate NG+ just before the final boss though.

how's the world, OST, atmosphere, and monsters in Lightning Returns?

Sounds like the gameplay is at least decent and the story is okay from what's being said in the thread.

the only final fantasy games worth playing are 7,8 9 and tactics

Yes. If you can ignore the retarded pacing, XIII has a great combat system that you fully unlock after too many hours, but assuming you know your shit such as paradigm shift timing and ATB reloads, you'll have a ton of fun. XIII-2 is pretty fun if you can ignore the retarded plot, Noel is a pleasant surprise as a character. LR:XIII is great if you can ignore the terrible script, plot, and the downgrade to character models. At any rate, all 3 titles are very cheap right now if you're going to buy them, and completely free to try if you're going to pirate them. The games aren't as "avoid like the plague" tier as people make it out to be.

Pretty good although some parts are better than others like Luxerion and the Castle of Chaos, although the desert sucks until you get underground
You might rush on the first playthrough until you realize if you do well in battle you can fill your EP and spam chronostasis, since that only costs one EP
Same as the rest of the trilogy really, a few new ones but nothing major. It is kind of fun to make the trash mobs go extinct though
See
It's halfway decent until Lightning goes to meet Toriyama on Earth

That's not the complaint. It's not about having a complex labyrinth to navigate, but rather having anything other than just an on rails hallway.
X was also a completely linear hallway simulator, but it never felt as blatant and claustrophobic as XIII did.

The story and characters are infuriating. And they are all you really have until the 20 hour mark. People joke about it, but this isn't an exaggerated number. In my play through it took about 20 hours for the game to give me full control of my party and enemies that were actually challenging.
Now previous Final Fantasies have restricted your party before, but at least they were designed to actually challenge such party compositions.

That's because X had a variety of environments and the corridors were made to look natural.
XIII's are mostly tunnels and catwalks.

Exactly. Despite being on rails X never really felt like it. I think the story revolving around a planned road trip helped alleviate that. In addition to what you described and that its environments were still fairly open.

The characters? Yes, most of them are boring as shit and one can barely hate them, but the story is such a convoluted amount of JRPG babble that it's easier to just not mention it

summoning in FFX is garbage

This jewish woman is utterly disgusting. Stop posting her.

i hear the tri-ace one was the best but you could just play resonance of fate and would probably have a better time

There weren't even any good waifu's in there except for Hope

I fucking hate XIII and regret those dozens of hours i spent playing it terribly due to it being

They even fucked up the token black guy and made him a complete bore.

Here are some square enix games i would reccomend to you though.