At this point I'm not sure who's worse. Treehouse, NISA or Aksys...

At this point I'm not sure who's worse. Treehouse, NISA or Aksys. I'm sure everyone knows about the Fates bullshit and NISA. However I don't think any other Industry would tolerate
Fukkleducks in a professional translation, why on earth should it be different with Video Games?

With a ton of shit from these bastards saying how games need to "grow up" and then pull dumb shit like this is not only baffiling, but the hypocracy of it all is appauling.

But I can't learn Japanese, and even if I knew said language I would still condemn the actions of these hacks. This is unacceptable.

Other urls found in this thread:

personaproblems.com/
archive.is/2u6ar
archive.fo/lGwI3
oneangrygamer.net/2017/06/nintendo-localizers-now-work-with-japanese-devs-to-censor-games-for-western-culture/33309/
twitter.com/DistantValhalla?lang=en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How does it feel Holla Forums?

YAMEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

How long does it take? I'm not gonna spend a year on this shit.

I don't play JRPGs so I'm not really affected.

Holy shit did you like just think about learning a new language? It can take 4~5 years you dumbass. 1~2 if you live with people who you regularly speak Nip with.

Just learn Japanese user

There are no good localization companies.

Why do they need our help? All they'd have to do is stop believing the lies localizers feed them. And in case it wasn't obvious, learning nip won't actually put "us" in a position to do anything because the bugmen will just go along with their greatest allies like they have been all this time

Maybe he's a NEET and can spend 8+ hours a day doing it.

So it'll take me 5 years for me to know a learn a language just to play vidya gaems? Fucking hell, but regardless it doesn't seem like the payoff is worth it.

Why aren't they even questioning this shit? fucking hell.

Why aren't they even questioning this shit? fucking hell.

I don't think you can just cram info like that and expect to retain it in a meaningful way.

If vidya is something you care about then the payout is worth it. You've probably spent that long just waiting for a game to come out.

It'll probably end up more well written than either the localization or the original anyway.

This unironically.

Thank god I'm fluent in Japanese. Also thank god I don't play gay ass games like OPs pic related. But yeah localization or translation is not easy. Most of the people that play the games aren't overly familiar with Japanese culture, it's really hard to translate puns and idioms, it's not just one person translating and often don't even get to play the game. Let alone you have a editor that changes shit when they have no understanding of the context or the language.

They really can't. Have you seen the original script for Fates?
And why the part about westerners?

Just learn moonrunes, trust me it's worth it.

Turn that off nig

But they do. The problem is not enough do.
personaproblems.com/

The casual consumer of any media or product will take what they want and not care that much about the flaws because they got what they want. We do this all the time without realizing it but for different things. It's not until you're completely invested into the medium that you actually start to care what's happening to it. Most people aren't invested enough to care.

Many don't write stuff that's great. But some of it is entertaining so I want to at least know what they're saying.

Ayyyyy
archive.is/2u6ar

Get out Connor

OH NO I CLICKED IT.

This is all part of a concentrated effort to dumb down imported japanese media as a whole and turn it into something for children and women only.

More like intentionally sabotage it to make domestic crap look good by comparison, which most of the time doesn't even work anyway because shit is just that bad over here.

Didn't know it was a SJW site. However, the contents on that page don't point to any of that and brings to light most of the problems with P5's localization.

Good job falling for a leftist psy-op meant to wrestle control of the P5 translation from the people that did a good job and hand it over to (((localizers))) so they can make it kosher.

What's the problem with the first? I'd have to find his Nipponese dialog, but Kou looks like he would use very casual language in the original Nipponese.

Fuck off Connor.

Did you even read the contents inside the link?

You can if you sleep properly and have a healthy diet. Not sure if NEETs have that though.

It's sick to me that people will defend translation problems just because the "wrong people" happen to be criticizing it. If SJWs were defending the translation, you faggots would be jumping all over it.
The site is shit because literal translation is the best in almost every case (especially in a game like Persona, which is steeped in Japanese culture in the first place), and it excuses changing meaning and character of a conversation based on the destination language ("localization" does actually play a role, but only for things that are untranslatable, like some idioms and puns).
The errors that he points out are still legitimate errors despite him being a faggot. Your feels aren't more important than facts. He does overblow the issue and overrepresent the errors actually present in the game (the actual errors are few and far between), but the specific examples he brings up are in fact translation errors.

Nice try Connor

archive.fo/lGwI3

Take those (you) and get the out, Connor.

His points are easily answered because he's a fucking faggot who didn't play the game nor does he understand anything about the culture or how translations fucking work. Kill yourself, Connor.

Get the fuck outta my thread Conor

Connor just cant get enough bullying

That chart is bullshit. Only need to know 2000 kanji to understand 95% of everything.

it's a joke user

Is vidya one of the most important things in your life? If yes, the payoff is worth it. If no, then GTFO, fuckin' normalfag.

2 years should be more than enough time to be reasonably fluent

Is coldsteel even good gameplaywise?

Aksys isn't even a developer, dummy.

Or arksys, doesn't matter.
You know exactly who am I talking about.

Treehouse is the worst of those, and 8-4 is probably better than Treehouse but worse than the other two you've mentioned. It all depends on particular game though. Generally all publishers and localizers are shit and it's better to not get stuff you're not certain you'll enjoy as they're not to be trusted. Otherwise wait for others to tell you if something's fucked up beyond whatever your level of acceptance is, but even anons lie so be smart.

It's Aksys, not ArcSys who fucked up, you double fukkleduck.
They're two separate companies.Arc System Works is the Guilty Gear/Blazblue/Dragonball FighterZ devs, Aksys is a publisher who sometimes publishes ArcSys games, but they're slowly getting cut off.

This is Tokyo Xanadu, not Cold Steel. The only Falcom games with good gameplay that I've played are Ys and Xanadu Next, Trails games are purely for autistic storyfags. I've got no clue how the Tokyo Xanadu game from the pictures is though, might be fun, might be shit.

Out of those three Aksys still manages to be the best, they've got at least a small team that understands how to do their job. Sadly they aren't on every game they handle. Like Muramasa Rebirth was done by them and it's a perfect example on how localizations should be handled.

No, fuck off. NISA will always be the worst of the worst. The treehouse hasn't shipped a game completely broken yet and they at least told people in advance that they're gutting content unlike NISA who put up review embargoes/didn't ship review copies when they fucked a game into oblivion.

Lest anyone forgot, NISA are also the faggots that pioneered the scummy technique of passing the buck to the ESRB. Because, you see, it's all the ESRB's fault. They "force" NISA to censor games, because an unofficial consultant, acting unofficially, with unofficial representation of the game, indicated that this title might potentially get rated M.

Treehouse may be absolute dogshit, but NISA has always taken the cake.

Hey now I liked Brandish.
Trails is okay(at least FC is, that's what I've played) but I wish it had turbomode or something

IIRC they just added Turbo Mode for all three recently.

Really now? Neat.
Also I'm disappointed, I looked up Tokyo Xanadu and I'm liking the gameplay, but not so much the school sim stuff.
Fucking hell Falcom you had it by the ass with the Naphitism/Felghana/Origin trilogy, why do they stray so far from the ideas of those games?

Yeah xseed added turbo mode to the PC ports of the coldsteel games.

No, you won't actually learn how to speak the language, you'll just learn it's rules and vocabulary. It would be like reading a math textbook without doing any of the actual problems. You didn't actually learn shit, you just know the words.

There is nothing wrong with Treehouse's translations, stop cherrypicking. Would you rather translate it yourself?

We don't have to. The fat chicks at Serenes' Forest will do it for us.

you're fucking me right

What, are you going to post the Fire Emblem screenshots? Those are only a few lines in a game with tens of thousands of lines. Persona 5 is an example of shitty translation that extends beyond a few lines and actually destroys characterization just to shoehorn a few memes.

Absolutely. Treehouse Translations aren't even legit translations. Half the time they're just made up retarded garbage. Anyone using google translate and manually adjusting the text to make it sound better even with no knowledge of Japanese could produce a more faithful and accurate translation with less retardation than your typical Treehouse translation.

Oy vey.

oh you are fucking me, got it.

How does it feel to be more retarded than tumblr?

Why do i have a feeling that not a single one of these "professional" translators knows a lick of japanese and are in fact using google translate that they then "spice up" with epic memes from KYM or ED?

The character is literally imageboards personified.
Of course she would use memes, they just replaced the 2chan ones with the 4chan ones, the same way they did with Steins Gate.

Becasue it's the truth.

Because it's the exact same line in japanese outside of changing japanese imageboard laughter to western imageboard laughter.
The context is still exactly the same and it still holds the same meaning as the original japanese version.

ELOHEL my man.

Hi Connor.

Now, get the fuck out of Holla Forums. Connor! Go fuck yourself!

If you don't like reading about fukkleducks and doge memes just learn Japanese. I have been dedicating 1-2 hours a day to Japanese for around a week now, I can already fluently read/write hiragana/katakana and know 18 kanji (plus like 60 vocabulary words associated to them). It is funny because my brain is full of shit but I still can do it. I just wanted to play the original Japanese Dragon Quest games, and since they use retard level Japanese and the language is actually clicking in my brain I will be able too in half a year, probably sooner. I am also using a website designed for English→Japanese without English being my first language. user, I am pretty sure if someone with fucking brain damage can learn Japanese you can do it as well. There is not many good things left in the world, and not many places to seek refuge in, but weeb games are one of those places. If you wanna take West's rot up the fucking ass, by all means, be my guest, but if you want to escape, believe me, you CAN learn Japanese.

motherfucker, you're retarded

Go away connor, defend your shitty localizations somewhere else.

Treehouse cuts out modes, removes DLCs, rewrites characters and censors without any real warning though? I don't remember any of that for Fates except for one mention like "we'll be taking care of it" when a tumblr faggot made a ruckus out of a made-up Mike "Make gays pay" Pence-type therapy in the game, though I can be wrong. Still, I recall NISA making blogposts about their censorships of Criminal Girls as well, and the broken game fuck ups you mention in the post are 4-10 years old from what I remember from the images, not still fresh wounds like #FE or almost-fresh like Fates.

Let's really not forget the fucking #FE by the way. It's just one year old and they went so fucking far with this shit even hands, arms and armpits got censored. They cannot even use the PEGI/ESRB rating excuse whether it's correct or not because they're covering up fucking armpits. The gameplay looked decent but no way I'd buy shit this fucking pozzed. Both companies are shit, but I still think Treehouse is worse. Especially if you consider everyone knows NISA fucks up, but some are ignorant of Treehouse's badness, like

Fuck why put in all these Burger memes? I don't give a shit I want to play a JAPANESE game.

Half the time I don't even get this trash because I don't care about internet culture.

People like you should be beaten to death with a hammer.

My problem is that 90% of the people here fall into one or more of these categories:
1. Don't speak Japanese, but attack others because of their own insecurities
2. Pretend to speak Japanese but actually don't
3.learned a little Japanese but don't understand how translations work.
4. Believe shit is badly localized or translated because it's not "literal" direct from the game; in short doesn't understand translation process
5. Want literal translation but have little to no understanding of Japanese culture outside of anime and video games so wouldn't get 90% of the references without having to google them anyway

Then there is 5%:
Have a decent grasp of Japanese and are out playing the games and not here bitching and cursing the roundness of their eyes and anything that changes even slightly from the original medium and can actually enjoy the game because they also understand Japanese culture, pop culture, history, trends and events.

What most of your weebs don't get is that the games aren't meant for you. They are made for mostly casual gamers that have little to no knowledge or interest in JP culture. They are translated with this in mind. They are not thinking of a bunch of weebs who obsesse and fap over cartoon images of 10 year old girls. If you care about the game so much, fucking learn Japanese and play the original and stop being selfish lazy pieces of shit, if that's even possible.

Lots of words for little arguments.
Normalfags don't buy weeb anime games, there is no reason to censor culture because "a rice ball is too Japanese, make it a donut"

Lol, how dense can you these weeabbo manchildren be?

Why are the goony sjw so triggered by a thread in the middle of nowhere?

Why would you have to speak Japanese to want a decent localization? Are you utterly retarded? And why does it have to be literal translations or completely altered nonsense and memes as replacement? Translating word for word is a terrible idea, but half the time they go out of their way to change the meaning and/or tone.

user, insane people do illogical things all the time.

I'd probably be a little antsy too if my grand scheme of filling all popular media with propaganda ended up flopping on its ass and amounted to nothing but a dead-end desk job that, at best, none of my peers will ever respect and all of my constituents hate.

TRIGGERING INTENSIFIES

It’s obvious that they used " for the entire fucking script and just did a text replace of " for ” when it was done. None of them even know how English works, much less Japanese.

Do you have autism?

Are we being invaded by discount amateur translators? The same dumbasses who also threw a shitfit over the use of "shoganai" during the P5 nitpick bullshit?

These aren't professionals.

To be fair, yes, 99% of Japanese games have god awful writing. Especially in the shounen RPG genre and anything with waifu in it.

>99% of Japanese games have god awful writing
Fixed it for ya.

True, but even shitty writing doesn't deserve to be shit up even worse by these "localizers."

No, this is not a good alternative.

People who want good translation should have good translation.

This is not good translation, it's just poorly worded memespeak/liberal speak.

People who want a good translation should learn Japanese. Localization has been shit for decades, and it's not likely to change any time soon.

Then why are we even playing video games anymore?

You're only giving up if you do nothing but complain. Learning Japanese lets you experience the games the way they are meant to be experienced.

You might as well tell others to make their own game if they have a problem with an existing game. Black pilled weebs are hilariously hypocritical.

goodbye CONNAR

p5 is the best Persona translation yet since it's the most literal. Minor typos in quotation marks do not equate to…

Hey, if you don't want to learn then have fun with your shitty localizations.

Even when memeing and providing shit translations, they still fuck up. It's H-E-double hockeysticks for a reason.

People like you are the reason why shitty localization exist.

If you are translating something then it is best to make it with the greatest fidelity possible rather than trying to make it appeal to an entirely different region. Mitsuru's French in Persona 3 is a good example of localization done properly so it would not sound awkward when the character was brought to English. A lot of xseed's work is also dedicated to this process without losing the authenticity of the story and its setting.

Are you stoned? Can you remotely imagine what would happen if Yakuza was localized to appeal to "casual gamers that have little to no knowledge or interest in JP culture"? Why would you play a foreign game set in a real foreign setting with foreign characters from that setting if you did not want to experience that setting?

Also, you don't get what the job of a translator is. Translators TRANSLATE, they do not rewrite as so, so many of these localizations do.
Or do you really want to try and convince yourself that "grati-diddly-tude" and "Fukkleducks" are sincere efforts to translate the work?

I come from parents that worked as court interpreters. My mother's job was specifically to translate in-court for thirty years. Guess what would've happened if they went,

That's not a good alternative, translation USED to be good at one point, the point is to restore that, not to go learn jap.

The Japanese equivalent in that text is "bufu" or something. It's a 2ch thing otaku use. The English equivalent is "Kek" which, at that time, didn't really explode into being the name of a meme frog god on the mainstream. It was still just an imageboard thing.
Yes, we really have come very far in such a short time…and it's terrible.

Point is, translation made a literal 1-1 choice that fits perfectly.
You suck at this, user. You are a failure at showing failure.

The less contact Japanese games have with the west, the better imo. Just look at what's started to happen now, Japanese developers are self-censoring themselves like Star Ocean 5, citing western sensibilities.

As far as I'm concerned, things would be better if translation died completely. EOPs can buckle up and learn Jap if they care enough about games.

I almost think someone at Aksys is an user, got upset at the emails which were being sent in about this and is now defending their laziness, partially by attacking P5 and partially by simply stating that, yes, we should expect to eat human feces instead of chocolate when we lick an icecream

Be honest, would you prefer kek, lulz, or rofl? Each one could have been used and fit but I feel they could have gotten away with bufufufu and it would have been fine. It really wouldn't break her character, most would have assumed it was a jack frost thing, and that 1% would have gotten some unexpected fanservice.

It's "dufu". It's like a weird laugh. They even have an explanation for it in the game Net High, I wonder how they are going to translate it there.

Don't forget Treehouse going to Nintendo of Japan & influencing their game development.
oneangrygamer.net/2017/06/nintendo-localizers-now-work-with-japanese-devs-to-censor-games-for-western-culture/33309/

forgot pic

They are weird about it, though, since they gave Worst Girl diapers and didn't change a thing about Tile user's waifu

Ever since LMFAO these acronyms have become too normalized to fit properly. You are more likely to hear lulz or lel than kek from any given normalfag and kek was still somewhat foreign. This was before the stupid Kekistani garbage, obviously.

Also "lol" is the equivalent to Japan's "wwwwww" for laughter, so no.
In a game which literally has "Bufu" as gameplay attack? No one would have gotten in. They'd have thought she was referencing the ice attack or trying to turn the NPC into a Popsicle. Come on, user.

Ah, okay. Guess the bufu thing wouldn't have been an issue, then. Still a good translation swap.
We're never getting it so why care?

Net High is getting a translation, just not by XSEED.

Yeah, god forbid people ever learn something new. That would be fucking terrible.
Kill yourself.

Wait, what? YES WE-
make it stop

WHIT PIGGU GO HOOOOME~

That's my biggest issue, it's one thing to find a good way to reword net slang but it's a real fine line between translating and "BOY, THIS HAMBURGER IS DELICIOUS".

If anything that cements her status as a hacker on steroids. For or against it, the normalfags knew the people who blew the whole kek thing up as a bunch of super hackers having a giggle. Still though, I would have preferred them to keep the original and just explain it in a log tucked away somewhere for those who actually read that shit.

Yeah they came up with some bullshit excuse to pass on it. Supposedly this guy is working on it twitter.com/DistantValhalla?lang=en

Wait, you mean XSEED passed on it? What is wrong with them? They keep shooting themselves in the foot!

Just look at this catalogue. How could they turn down anything when this is what they have left? Once CSIII is released they are pretty much dead, unless Nasu makes a Fate/Extella 2 or something.

ha
But Japanese is still a stupid idea and next to worthless. I'd say might as well learn one of the romance languages, then. It's easier since their alphabets use ours, just altered, and they are more plentiful.

They're not useful for games though.

And anyway it's a lot harder to learn a language without constant practice. With all the anime/manga/games Japanese produces, you have tons of material to practice with.

Que?
But I get the idea. It's a lot of work for mostly a hobby, though.

It hurts to think about how "buying American" used to be a badge of honor

As opposed to a necessity to keep yourself from contracting acute lead poisoning?

Holy fuck. This is desperate bait if I've ever seen it.

Kill yourself Connor.

Is there any hope that Aksys will listen and do it right for ex+ or will Xanadu forever be broken?

I kinda like Asuka (and not because she very vaguely reminds me of a very toned-down Asuka)

What does it say?

haha Nice translation
I can see how this game could have been funny

Falcom wants CSIII out in English as soon as possible. They won't risk delays by giving XSEED multiple projects.

Fucking hell

Ну вообще все эксклюзивно русские игры давно уже вышли, а что выходит сегодня, можно сказать, гарантированно дублируется на английском.
Да и на японском особо игр нету, только тонны жрпг говна и внки. Ну есть ещё игры по сериям, там, аниме к примеру, но это сомнительное удовольствие. От силы, хороши всякие додзинси с кoмикета, но у нас есть инди, которые я уверен ты даже не начинал открывать для себя.

I wish more anons were upset so they could email Aksys and maybe get something done for ex+.
Guess you guys don't care enough or the game is worse than I hope it is and no one's told me.

No

Sending emails doesn't fucking work you retard. They'll keep doing the shit they do. It doesn't matter. The only emails they'll keep and look at are the ones praising their work. They know they have enough gullible fucks to sell the game to and disregard the "vocal minority" they'll call you. Stop being naive.

honestly with all the work xseed is turning down it seems like marvelous might just be closing up their division

Good god, what's wrong with the girl on the right's hands?

Isn't xseed a tiny little company? Would be worse to bite off more than they can chew. They already outsource so much of the shit they have already.

If you shame someone enough they will listen. If every poster here sent one email saying "Do better or no sales" with one picture of Fukkleducks then we might make it through. Surely Aksys isn't NISA-tier just yet right?

I really hope that's not the case, but there really doesn't seem to me much of another option for why they would do this.
Where would the team go? There's nowhere else that would accept them without demanding they be brainwashed into the party's cult first. Tom would be forced to leave games entirely because he sticks to his principals. He's already marked by NeoQueer and the festering pile of trites seem to ooze out from that place (and SA).
When XSEED goes, I hope Atlus USA hires them on. P5 gave us hope, though how long that lasts remains to be seen. I once trusted Aksys but Xanadu's rape just drove home how they've been infected, too.

Citation, mate. Aksys is said to outsource, not xseed.

Hands are hard, user