How many of the Crash Bandicoot games after Naughty Dog are worth playing?

I stopped following the series after Wrath of Cortex and is interested in the remakes.

Are any of the games after Naughty Dog left the series worth playing? And how are the remakee by the way?

Wrath of Cortex, no. Twinsanity, hit and miss (largely due to its massively incomplete state) but what's there is pretty good. Everything past that, God no.

Haven't played the remakes but word that I remember is they're faithful in gameplay.

Remakes look ugly ans generic, the music sounds worse and the physics are off.

I am really digging the animation and voice acting of the N.Sanity trilogy, it's like something out of a cartoon.

Remakes are for those who have never played the original. If you're used to the original games then playing the remake is like hearing a cover version of your favourite song. It just sounds wrong even if it's objectively good. Now I don't know if the remake is good or not, but I'd probably hate it in either case and I'd rather just play the original on an emulator or something. However, I'd probably still recommend the remake for those who have never played the original because why not. The early 3D isn't exactly pretty.

the remake could've been 60fps and multi-plat, what a fuckin MEME sony is pulling.

That's like expecting Zelda or Mario being multi-plat. Not going to happen.

Crash was multi-plat after crash 3.

Was it? I never knew.

Yeah, although should be more specifically crash bash but mainline crash, yes after crash 3/warped all future games were multi-plat if you count wrath of cortex ported to the xbox and gamecube a year later.
I recall wrath of cortex on the gamecube having the worst performance even though the ps2 is weaker than the gamecube.

The GBA games.

From what I've heard, it's the PS2 version that performed the worst. Longer loading times and what-not.

As someone who just finished Wrath of Cortex on PS2, I can vouch and say while the loading times aren't dreadful (like 20-30 seconds on a big level), they're stull abysmal compared to the Gamecube's load times

Pretty much this. Also, checkpoint easy mode for the casual audience. This is like the living embodiment of the failed jesus portrait meme. The general aesthetic is way off and I don't know why they did it that way.

None

The early 3D looks better than the fur textures and Tranny Tawna of the remake

Wrath of Cortex is a mediocre rehash of Crash 2 and 3

Nitro Kart is a rehash of CTR but is still fun.

Twinsanity is pretty good.

Tag Team Racing is okay. The gameplay gimmicks' novelty wears off quickly.

Titans and Mind Over Mutant are playable but very mediocre and I don't like the new design of Crash.

N-Sane Trilogy is flawed but good.

Forgot about the GBA games and Crash Bash. They were all okay but forgettable.

Crash Boom Bang is a piece of shit.

Fuck everything about the utterly and completely fucked ice physics in N-Sane Trilogy
How the fuck The Wrath of Cortex managed to have better ice physics despite having less than an EIGHT the development time N-Sane trilogy had. It's a disgrace.
Also who ever thought allowing nitros to jump higher on RNG should have the shit slapped out of them.

ALSO FUCK IT
BECAUSE IT FUCKS UP THE EGYPT STAGES IN CRASH 3.

you wouldn't know about the reactive checkpoint crates if you were good at the game, faggot.

only issues are physics are slightly off and the loading screens.

Nitro Kart, Twinsanity, and Tag Team Racing. Also, Bash isn't that bad if you have a PS1/PS3 and some friends to play with/against.

Also the first 2 GBA games are pretty good. Avoid Crash Purple, though.

It's Crash 3 but worse in pretty much every aspect. Not the worst, but not the best either
It's a good game, but there was a lot of cut content and you can tell. There's parts of the game that feel like they're missing sound effects
It's a 2D Crash game with a lot of tracks from older games remixed in. It's made by Vicarious Visions, who made the PS4 remakes of the first three games. I can recommend this one.
More of the same as Huge Adventure, only with some new characters and Game Mechanics. Both this and Huge Adventure are around the same level of quality. both games even have shit final bosses.
Wasted Potential of a crossover between really popular Playstation mascots at the time. Avoid
Don't.
Don't.
that should be every Crash game not made by Naughty Dog that isn't a Kart Racer or Party game.

Activision owns Crash, along with Spyro, because GE probably didn't want Universal's interactive publishing whne they bought the studio from Vivendi.
Activision is who decided to put the creepy gremlin version of Spyro in Skylanders.
Activision is the entity that contractually obliged Sony not to let people load their downloaded copies of the Crash Trilogy, CTR, and Spyro onto their PlayStation Vita.
Activision is the one who also locked the remake down to 30 frames and replaced all the music and sound design with generic shit that sounds fanmade.

As many new players have recently discovered, these games were designed by fans of 2D platformers and naturally that includes the precise timing and pattern recognition required by those games. Scrubs who feel like they need tacked-on analog controls or the added checkpoints provided by the remake will not have a fun time.

Wrath of Cortex isn't too bad, still a regular Crash game. Twinsanity is pretty hit or miss, especially towards the end.

Trips of truth.

FUCKING THIS
Compare Twisted's stage with Coco at the Chinese wall. The original somehow looks better than the remake because the remake makes the stage look too sterile and makes everything look like it was shat out of pixar's ass. On top of that the feeling is speed is outright gone in the remake. The rest of the remake is okay but that one glaring flaw makes me enjoy the originals much more than the remake.

But the additional checkpoints were in 2 and Warped as well. It's called Dynamic Difficulty Adjustment. They also had analog for 2 and Warped as well.

For one, the track takes up much less space on the screen so you can see the background. In the remake, obviously.

I've been playing the first one on ps1 lately. It's really not very good.

How did they fuck the graphics up this bad?

You have shit taste.

Apparently they admitted they fucked up the remake. Requesting webm.
🤔

stop posting this image

This.

Crash Bandicoot 1, 2 and 3. Crash Team Racing and Crash Bash or very good too, all the rest is optional.

This is the the best and only right opinion, anyone that says otherwise is a plebeian and must be shunned.

Oh thank god, I was playing this at my friend's house over the weekend and I got my ass handed to me when playing the first game. Road to Ruin in 2 was also a fucking pain in the ass, I had the feeling that something was wrong with the game.

Wrath of Cortex and Twinsanity run like shit on PCSX2 and Dolphin. So they are not worth playing.

The hit-boxes and physics are a bit different but remake is still actually pretty damn good. I'd even say its even more fun then the original because of the checkpoints make it more forgiving. People who are complaining about the new control's are just DarksydePhil tier scrubs who are looking for an excuse to cry about their own shortcomings and not take personal responsibility.

Pretty good party game. Straight to the minigames and they're mostly pretty good. Going for 100% means you're in for some fucking bullshit challenges though.
It's like Warped but not quite as polished. It also has god awful load times. It's forgettable, it doesn't stand out like the originals, but if you really like the originals, here's more of them.
As good as you could expect Crash to get on Game Boy. It looks like Crash, it sounds like Crash, it feels like Crash, just without the 3D levels. They're also very easy, which makes them very short, despite having comparable numbers of levels
Not as good as CTR, but if you really like CTR, here's more of it. It looks and feels like it, it's a lot of fun, but it's just doesn't have quite as good tracks and controls. Still one of the better kart racers of its gen though.
From the makers of Wrath of Cortex comes one of the most unfinished games ever, but you can tell they were making something great. They tried to evolve the franchise in logical directions, with a Jak & Daxteresque semi-open world, charming looney tunes like humor, and a great a cappella soundtrack. But the game is clearly less than 3/4 done. For example, Coco was supposed to be playable, but they didn't have time. So instead you have sections where you play as Cortex's niece, basically an evil Coco, but there's no regular Coco to make it make any sense. Lots of other elements get used far less than was clearly intended, but I don't want to give too much away. This is definitely worth playing, even if it is a sad case of wasted potential. Now you can see why Wrath of Cortex came out the way it did. The publishers didn't give this team any time to finish shit.
Never played this one. I hear it's okay.

I have played all the rest though, and they're all shit. Stay away from everything I haven't mentioned. They're all absolute garbage.

Oh yeah, except N. Sane Trilogy, which aren't perfectly like the originals, but are extremely close. Pretty much every change is worse, but they're all nearly unnoticable changes unless you're looking side by side or something. The physics are very slightly different, but it's barely noticable. The vehicle stages in Crash 3 are a bit more noticable, though.

Pretty much every change is for the worse, but the fact that relics are added to Crash 1 and 2 makes it worth it though, if you're into that, due to everything else only being a tiny bit worse. I was looking for new Crash content and that's as close as I'm gonna get for now. The fact that the remakes were so close to the originals gives me hope for a new sequel by the same devs, which is the only hope I could have, since it's not like Naughty Dog still makes games anymore.

Yes it is. Crash is one of the best looking games from that gen, period. Definitely holds up today. They knew the limitations they had and worked within them.

After the PS1 era. And after the PS1 era everything got way worse.

Allowing you to use Checkpoints and still get Gems in Crash 1 does make things much easier, but they still say you can't die for the colored gems, which are in the hardest levels, and the relics are hard as balls and are harder than getting the gems in the original game.

Not gonna bother clicking the embed, but if that's gonna be an argument that Crash's character design is the main reason the games were successful, then it's retarded. The character design is good, but the gameplay is what makes the games actually worth playing.

Let's not pretend Bash is on the same level as the Naughty Dog games. It's on the level of the later good ones, but nowhere near the level of the original four.

The first game is very hard and Road to Ruin is one of the harder levels in 2 (but still not that hard). The game's not exactly the same, jumps are just slightly lower, but it's still your fault you're losing.

The remake is not good
in the original the jumps were not a retarded as in the remake. And by jumps i mean the bottomless pits. They're slightly wider/longer to jump, and it's not hard, just bullshit.

The pits are the same but you don't jump quite as high. That said, it's very slight. There are barely any jumps in the game that are hard enough for it to matter, and even those are all still doable. The jumps still feel the same, they don't feel like bullshit, though there are a couple parts where I did notice that jumps I found easy in the originals were a bit harder here. But 2 and 3 are so easy anyway so whatever.

The thing that really bothers me in the N sane trilogy, apart from the washed up graphics, is how they removed that higher jump that you were able to do by pressing O and shortly X, that made Crash jump higher and spread his legs.
This was useful when you had to jump on a pile of 3 boxes or when you accidentally broke the lower jump box and you had to reach the upper one, did anybody notice that!?

They should have done her like the original Pamela Anderson version, as she was meant to be.

She doesn't get enough fanart

It's like they removed everything enjoyable and technical about the movement.

These are little annoyances that soon turn as frustrating as the longer you play.
And they never bothered to fix it.
I honestly can't imagine a worse company than Activision to hold Crash's rights, that's actually sad,
Now this was a commercial success because of nostalgia, but i am sure that after this one Craptivision will start milking the franchise with shit games like in the vivendi/sierra days, sending the Crash ip into oblivion once again, and their excuse will be "it seems that people aren't interested in Platform games anymore".
You'll see.

I could deal with the movement being dumbed down if there wasn't any actual technical issues like getting "ledged" (when you land on something but then the game decide to push you about a second later).

Worse part is some people had a level editor up for Crash 2 and in the end you couldn't really do shit with it because surprise the levels are actually very tightly designed with the technical specification of the PS1 in mind and if you don't do proper culling and chunking it runs like garbage and even adding a bunch of boxes in some places makes the game unplayable.

maybe you'll think i am nitpicking, but am i the only one who thinks that crash's iconic spinning attack looks like ass in the remake?
In the ND games looked like this cool cartoony effect where crash became a blurry tornado with arms and legs going everywhere, while in the new one they just posed the model with open arms and made it rotate with a bit of shitty glowing motion blur.
lazy as fuck.

I have to concur with this. With the first three Crash games, they were great single player platformers. With CTR, whilst it is a multiplayer racing game, you can still get a lot of mileage out of it just from playing by yourself. With Crash Bash, I felt that it wasn't as good an experience playing alone than with playing with friends.

You can make all the excuses under the sun but the fact remains that they lost the feeling from the original. How does Jason Rubin feel about this? Did he or his partner have a hand in the remake? It would be pretty shitty if they didn't even bother to ask for help from the guys who made the series so good to begin with.

Uh… they didn't? Are you just being an idiot that doesn't know the games and then tried the Crash 1 remake and got mad that he didn't have a move that was introduced in Crash 2? Crouching/Crawling/Sliding and the High Jump that you can do after it was introduced in Crash 2, and it is still in the remakes, just not the remake of Crash 1, since it wasn't in the original and would break a ton of levels.

They didn't. That guy is bullshitting. Of course you can still high jump.

I know I was shitting on you but I still agree that Activision ruined the franchise before and is likely to do it again. They are a company that exists solely to buy up and ruin my favorite franchises.

Nobody involved in the originals had anything to do with these.

It's even worse. The asked Naughty Dog. Modern Naughty Dog, who aren't even made up of the people who made Uncharted, let alone Jak or especially Crash. Modern Naughty Dog, who are a bunch of SJWs who openly say they think games like Crash are beneath them.

I wasn't talking about Crash 1 you faggot, and not even about the slide+jump move, which is still there, i was talking about the crouch and the jump to jump higher.
I now realized that you need to press X while HOLDING O, while in the original you just needed to press the second quickly after the former, still sucks though.

This sounds absolutely fucking retarded even for naughty dog and I highly doubt it's true. It's like if dashjumping in MMX was like that.

Which is the same thing. Sliding is just crouching while moving, and crawling is moving while crouching, and from any of these positions, pressing X makes you do a high jump. It's no different in the remakes than the originals.

God damn, now i'm glad I didn't bother buying the game. I'll stick to my physical ps1 copies.

In the originals you could just quickly press O and then X which was faster than holding O and then press X.

(((Neil Kikemann))) killed naughty dog for good.

To be fair, they probably didn't actually ask Naughty Dog shit, but for marketing reasons sent them a review copy or something so that they could say they asked. In other interviews they also say that Naughty Dog basically didn't reply and they didn't really have any input on the game.

I'm fully confident that VV did a much better job than Nu-ND could have done. It's at the point that I just hope the same people who made the remakes make any sequels that might come out from now on. Everyone else would be saying it can't be good without Naughty Dog, but Naughty Dog doesn't exist anymore. Whatever company makes The Last of Us is not Naughty Dog.

So basically you're saying that the amount of time between pressing the two buttons is increased. I got all platinums in all the games and didn't notice (while I did notice most of the other stuff people talk about), but it's possible. I will say it's negligible though.

Exactly, in the originals you could quickly press O and then X, here you have to HOLD O, and then press X while still holding O

You have to be doing some part of the crouch animation and then jump out of that animation. Perhaps here the way the animation works is slightly different, like you start standing as soon as you release O rather than finishing the crouching animation and then standing.

ALSO I'D LIKE TO STATE
IT'S FUCKING RETARDED THAT THEY DID NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE LARGER SCREEN SPACE TO ACCOMMODATE THE CAMERA BETTER IN LEVELS WHERE YOU MOVE TO THE CAMERA OR WITH LIMITED VISIBILITY.
GRANTED THE NEW ARTSTYLE IS CLUTTERED AND WOULDN'T BE AS RECOGNIZABLE FROM A DISTANCE LIKE PLAYING WITH EXPANDED CAMERA IN PCSXR BUT STILL
IT'S ASS
ASS BANDICOOT.

lol graphics whore

pleb. The camera was very deliberately placed in the originals. Moving it would only make it worse.

Moving it would make it better because the tight forward came was due to limited ability to cast the unbaked lighting in crash 1 2 and 3.
It's why in the original if you lose the firefly EVERYTHING except objects isn't rendered unless bruteforced.
The new engine doesn't have this limitation and it's retarded to keep it.
If they're going to change shit, at least change shit that makes sense to change.

To be fair camera was placed there because it meant that ND was able to push as many polygons on the screen.

Say what you want about the artstyle (I agree any changes they made were for the worst) but I like that they at least tried to keep the gameplay the exact same. They didn't get it perfect, but they tried.

People who complain about the boulder levels in particular are just plebs who need to get good. They say they can't see what's in front of them, but I could when I was six years old. They're just shit at games.

the boulder levels aren't that hard especially if you rock the dpad.

It's not an issue with boulder levels.
Boulder levels have the camera fine, it's an issue in levels with back tracking like Diggin' It Eel Deal Either totally Fly or Night Flight, I can't remember which had the backtracking
And because of changes to accessibility of secret areas, tomb time which incidentally had an EASIER TO BACK TRACK gem path.
It's an(was but no longer is) issue in those levels because the FRONT FACES of the levels were more complex due to the game not having LOD's to compensate for the forward cam.
On the PS4 however this isn't an issue there is more than enough strength and strussle to handle rendering both up close front views and back views.

I agree, and the character models didn't look as shit as what they did with Skylanders, for a moment i thought that Crash was going to look like that in the remake.

I miss when game development was a lot more loose.

Didn't they also use a Lisp dialect as a scripting language?

(Checked, very nice)
Yup.

Yeah, this is how I feel. I've been meaning to play these games forever and finally played through the PSX version of the first game a couple months ago, then, since a friend of mine gameshares with me, I played through the PS4 version. I have to say, the new save system and not being able to die and still get white gems are the the better, but the jumping is fucked up. I'm having more fun with Crash 2, but I'm still debating on stopping since aforementioned little things have built up.

Those are the kind of retards that say shit like:

Yes, i mean i am trying to enjoy the game but sometimes it becomes frustratiing when the game asks you to jump perfectly but you can't because of the flaws in the game mechanics.
The worst thing is that the developers aknowledged that they fucked up but they aren't going to fix their mess.

So par for the course then. Crash 2's jumping doesn't feel nearly as bad, but I can't compare it the original yet. Someone mentioned something about the ice physics being worse in the N.Sane trilogy? Is that right? In fact, is it just Crash 1 that suffers fro fucked up physics or do 2 and 3 as well?

All the games in the N Sane trilogy suffer from the same problems, sadly.
Yes the ice physics also have some problems, but the the jumps are still the major issue in the games.

I guess I just got used to the jumping by now. I'll try Crash 2 out on an emulator tomorrow, see if I just want to play it that way or finish the PS4 version. Kinda like the old visuals anyway.

The originals are still the best version of the games

Yes, and they were tacked-on, none of either game seemed designed around them.

Does Twinsanity have a 10/10 soundtrack?

Does a polar bear shit in the woods?

Despite it being incomplete, Twinsanity was a great Crash game.

Honestly if it were up to me.
Wrath of Cortex and twinsanity revamp combo pack.
But they'd probably fuck it up with pill hitbox bullshit again

Rumors are mounting about an Xbox One port.

Actually, it's multiplat, there is just a NDA on it from every distributer.

might as well bring back classics such as rofl variations and caturday.

HOnestly if it wasn't for the fact the only videogame cats I can think off the top of my head are Big and Bubsy, I'd like a caturday.

Teinsanity is allright

And what's stopping them from fixing it with a fucking update!?

Destiny 2 is a bigger priority.

Being a multiplat means there's gonna be a an Xbox One port, right?

Vicarious Visions have nothing to do with Destiny 2, they can fix the game if they want to

Half the dev team was working on Destiny 2 when they were making NST.

Twinsanity didn't get by on good physics anyway. N. Sane Trilogy does a much better job. But Twinsanity's levels would probably need to be adjusted to work with N. Sane Trilogy's physics, which are much closer to the original games.

I liked Crash Boom Bang. It was my first Crash game. Is it time for me to kill myself or no?

Please do. Anyone that young shouldn't be on Holla Forums anyway.

Quality over quantity. Only a newfag would think otherwise. Everyone knows 4chan was best before the fucking casuals found out about it and eventually chased us here.

We don't have either here.

That's an old and well known shoop.

xbone and pc as far as I know.
Haven't heard anything about a switch version but I'm pretty sure Vicarious has a devkit and no other projects for switch.

There's been no announcement. People are really reaching for this one. It's possible, but there's practically nothing to go on to say it's gonna happen, except for statements by people who really don't know.

Dude, it's not a secret that Vivendi has other versions of N-Sane trilogy prepared.
Nearly every distributor fucked up because sony negotiated last minute timed exclusivity.

I've heard the rumors that ended up being based on people at gamestop or whatever saying things off the cuff, but nothing that seemed convincing. The idea that sony negotiated last minute seems off considering they made such a huge deal of it at their e3 a year earlier.

Nigga do you even know how small the vicarious team is or how long development cycles run on for?
A year prior IS last minute.

For remakes of 20 year old games? Games that themselves only took a year to make? Games that were exclusives and therefore would appeal to that same, now probably smaller audience, on the same console (or at least its sequel)? I'm still not convinced.

N-Tranced wasn't too bad.

Retard please leave.

Crash Bash, if that counts
Wrath of Cortex though it looks ugly as sin
Twinsanity because dev team cared a lot despite the cut corners and missing audio cues
Tiny Huge Adventure
Some say Nitro Kart was okay but it still looks like shit
Remakes are only worth it if you want more Time Relics completition bs or if you have younger siblings who won't play anything that isn't current gen

Do you mean in the Remake? Because IIRC everything runs on a stage-based cycle in the original three.

Pretty much this
I thought it was a running gag in the whole Crash series to have final bosses that are utterly easy/underwhelming. At least the XS one is a little harder than 2's.

It's lighting, man. The original game made every colour kind of muddy and pretended there was a single light source, the remake adds the Unreal experience of having a billion light sources.

git gud scrub, stop dying like a bitch