Card based RPG's

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of memories (both GBA and PS2)
The card battle minigame in KH:DDD
Megaman Battlenetwork and Starforce series
Phantasy Star online episode 3
I love the idea of combat taking place where actions are tied to collectible cards in universe, making decks is comfy and the combat in most of these is the most satisfying thing to pull off when you've learned the system fully.
What do other people think of the combat and have I missed some great examples of this done well?

You forgot Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean and Baten Kaitos Origins.

Does this count?

Digimon card battle.

There's a card minigame in Xenosaga.

rising super star on youtube has been playing a lot of these recently

Phantasy Star Online: Episode 3

The battle system is really fun, it's a mixture between a card game and chess.

Dragon Ball Z: Legend of the Super Saiyan.

It was no CCG. The game deals out cards (as from a 52 card deck) to the your guys and to the enemies, and you pick a card when inputting your turn. Bigger numbers on the card correspond to higher damage and defense as the two characters collide.

Kind of a neat idea. I liked how it mitigates randomness without eliminating it entirely, and adds an element of strategy to what would otherwise be hold x to win— you can stack your hand with aces before a boss battle, if you bother to think ahead a little bit.

Of course, this is a terrible game and lack of balance breaks anything really interesting the mechanic might have done, but I think it has potential.

HEY HOW COULD WE MAKE THIS SHITTY CASUAL GENRE ANY MORE BORING AND RETARDED

WHAT ABOUT FUCKING CARDS? YOU KNOW THAT SHIT OLD PEOPLE USE TO PASS TIME

GENIUS

OP here, sorry for nearly being one and done.

All them sound exactly like what I like, thanks for bringing my attention to them.

Looks pretty good.

Sounds like lets play trash, why do you know who that is and what their current contents is.

Too bad compared to 1 and 2 it was less played due to being a card game more then action RPG.

Wasn't sure to add duelist of the rose but it's pretty damn fun.

I'd play the shit out of this game if I had access to it when I was younger, looks cool enough to try now, thanks.

GENIUS Nice reddit spacing BTW

CALM DOWN OLD MAN

As a heads up, from what I remember, the first game has some rather bad audio issue that can be somewhat improved by messing with the game's audio output settings (I forget which exactly), and with the latter, if you live in PAL, don't bother looking for a physical copy of Origins, as it never came out there (poor sales in Japan and NA, likely on account of being one of the last non-shovelware Gamecube titles and there being much more focus on the Wii, might have had something to do with no one picking it up out there). Though, even if you live in NA, emulating it or playing with a loader is likely the better option at this point due to prices.

Do not ever play Re:CoM if you want to try out Kingdom Hearts. Just play the original for GBA. That game is almost perfect in its original form and feels just right for a handheld game that it was tailored for while the remake was entirely disappointing in lack of content and overall stagnant gameplay even compared to BBS if you don't use a single fucking Command or even a Shotlock.

Also, how is StarForce? I wanted to try it out until I looked up gameplay and found out it just looks like 3D Battle Network with less room and repetitive third person shooting.

Shame there is no online or custom maps- but yes the game is great until you master it.

The old spin-off Yugioh stuff is often good. But avoid the official games (apart from Konami being mega jews, the official card game is broken as fuck- and the games don't care about what is or is not tournament legal).

Metal Gear Ac!d 1 & 2

Does phantom dust count?

Lost Kingdoms was fucking great. That was easily one of my favourite games for the Gamecube.

I owned the Ice Pegasus version of the first game. Who's idea was it to make three different versions of a Mega Man game? This isn't Pokemon.

Anyway, the game was overall very average to me, and I was riding on the high of the Battle Network franchise after the popularity of the games, the anime, and the manga. Star Force was just so… Vanilla. It was trying to be the future of the series, but it didn't do anything extraordinary. The chips are replaced with cards, which function kinda similarly, and you can do weird friend summon things, which aren't that special. The field is just in 3d, and is actually kinda disorienting at times. The story is average and cookie cutter, but it's kinda bittersweet towards the end and a little emotional.

I've heard the sequels were better.

I agree with Com, the changes in the PS2 version make it too easy and a lot of it feels cheaper being on PS2 when nothing is done to improve on it.
Overall it's a lot more action based then BN, no letter restrictions on cards and you can pretty much run any sort of deck without any risk of punishment till 3 where it introduces card sizes, but each game has individual ups and downs so it's easy to like 1 starforce but hate the other 2.
This is the most vanilla of the games, 3 forms and you can have 1, even if you unlock all 3 via brother banding with the other versions you only get 1 per fight with no combining like in the later games. The protag starts off being autistic and still is late game but he knows what to do. Some moments like him making his first friend since the accident is touching due to the person it is
Wave Road is a change from the internet mechanic but feels more limiting then BN where there's a chance of entering any electrical object by mashing Jack in.
It's bosses suffer from being the first and are all very docile, I remember beating the SP version of the final boss with the default deck the game gave they're that easy.
A change I like from BN that encourages skilled play is counters now instead of before giving X2 damage or just a better rank now give a random card from your deck (unless it's a card given from a counter then you get nothing) so 30 cards can potentially be 60 through countering. and if you're in the transformation you get a big bang (A giga card worth 300 damage)
Brother bands are a cool idea but this game dropped the ball, main and much needed abilities like floatshoes and super armor are tied only to main character bands but you only have 6 slots the friend idea is there but a bit iffy.
Everything in 2 is improved on gameplay wise (except I swear there's a tiny bit more input lag in this compare to 1 and 3) more enemy variety, bosses are harder but that's where it stops. The places you go are overall worse, filled with find the single worthless item in the hub full intractable
The forms now combined into double forms gaining both benefits (+50 to X element) but with the second forms weakness the first forms charge shot and if you get all 3 you get a Tribeking form with no weakness and a super powerful big bang There was a cheat in game to gain a benefit of auto tribe king which made online cancer because guess what everyone did before signing on
1 is more comfy and 2 is more mechanically.
This game also fixed the brotherband problem 2 ways by making abilities bought with points given by brotherbands so having your 6 friends is encouraged now and for people without IRL friends they make a form called Rouge which is an auto regenerating barrier, +500HP, max buster stats and other bonuses at the cost of the mechanic, so if you don't have friends you still get a powerful option with bonuses others with friends wont get
Everything from 1 and 2 gameplay wise was stepped up by 20 steps.
3 forms? try 10 + 3 1 of the 3 being the rouge form from 2 with the same ups and downs and they aren't tied to a 1/30 card in your deck now, they're tied to you, eventually you reach a point where your character evolves to one of the 10 forms Or rouge and gains benefits from the forms instantly and through a new mechanic which boosts your power through dealing damage will keep getting stronger till 200% where then you get the option to become back ace or red joker (barely any changes of worth so don't worry about versions here) those 10 forms also can combined one with a friend of yours form to multi form gaining the benefits of their form on top of yours + their forms colour on yours.
Story and locals are in the middle but the combat is way higher.
Had the most hype online for a DS game until nintendo killed the online

Easily my favorite. So simple but so fucking addicting.

One has to set the audio output to surround in the game, even if you have no surround setup. Without the speech sounds like the voice actors were using copper tubes as microphones, I have no idea how that got past QA. All other audio, i.e. music and sound effects work just fine, it's the voice-over during dialogue (not during battle though).

Fun fact, that was the first time I imported a game from the US. Reading "disk" with a K at the end instead of "disc" made me freak out, I thought I might had fallen for a fake. The discs were also a real bitch to get out of the case, I have no idea if my case was weirdly manufactured or if that's normal for US GameCube cases.

Theres that one card game mini game from xenogears where you have to physically run over the cards to match them to the cards in the middle and gwent from witcher 3, although i never played witcher 3.

I always like the Shin DM stuff, except Forbidden Memories was very dry. Yugioh stuff works far better as an RPG than a collectible card game, and it shows when playing the non-Expert GBA games especially. Hell, I've wanted to use the basis of a card fusing system as a game backbone. Seems cool from a multidimensional standpoint that rewards smart and risky play with efficiency.

1 was a pretty decent game that suffered from a filler-y feel at times and a very slow pace. Gameplay was fun, and despite what other anons are saying, I found the world and concept were pretty exciting and interesting [instead of being avatars/AIs on the web, you literally fuse w/ an alien and become a superman.] The game had a pretty weird and surreal atmosphere/pacing at times, and it felt very rough and unpolished. The story was more personal and serious, which I found to be a nice change.

I haven't played 2 but I've only heard mediocre things about it. Apparently the encounter rate is disgustingly high, which would obviously make the game more annoying. Also what I've seen of the story just does not interest me in the slightest

3 was a fantastic game from start to finish and I would absolutely recommend it. The story was engaging and the characters were fun, the gameplay was spiced up considerably, and the presentation was a lot slicker and more polished. I think MMSF3 is easily as cohesive and high-quality as the best of the BN series, and it might even be a bit better.

I absolutely loved MGA1/2 and played the ever-loving shit out of them. Easily one of my all-time favorite PSP titles.

Bugs and compatibility issues asides , both of these are pretty gud even though not strictly RPGs as far as RPGs go

I bet the sorceress did this.

Shit, I forgot that existed. It was one of the few card based tactics games I thought was neat.

There's a few card games on the PSP too, like Neverland Card Battles. It's a game that you take over squares on a board to get more mana to play more cards to fuck up your opponent. Also Culdcept on PS2, it's like monopoly with cards thrown in to summon monsters to protect your shit.

The sound isn't actually a bug or bad recording, just really stupid design choice. The sound gets less distorted the more in-sync you are with the main character and the Nipponese audio has that filter too.

Really!? I never noticed, and I've played BK so many times. I guess I'll have to do another playthrough soon.

pumpkin king in this is even better than thtd in forbidden memories

Would be way more enjoyable if the game didnt crash every second time I open the deck editor.

Maybe then I'd try to beat arzakhan

Outside of just turn 1 burn to death the strongest deck is Dark Witch turbo.
Either pumping out 4000ATK witches or boosting all your monsters by 800 attack and then flipping all cards to do it again.

That has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Might as well make the graphics blurry and flickering, or the controls unresponsive.

The rest of the game is great, but that was 100% retarded design.

Really you should just load an end-game save and compare it to the start of the game instead of suffering through that.

Lost Kingdoms is one of those near launch titles with lots of annoying flaws. Good thing the sequel fixes almost all of them.