What do you think of Final fantasy 10? (As a series.)

What do you think of Final fantasy 10? (As a series.)

shit

X: Enjoyed it as a teen, wouldn't touch it again.
X-2: 100% impossible without guide, pointless game that broke the rule.

WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU?

*100% completion

JRPG missables taken to the limit. At least it didn't approach infinity.

Good music

Exactly. The grinding in X was almost Korean (especially grinding for ult weaps like butterfly shit).

The awfulness of the cast was echoed in 13. All but one or two of the party characters should have just drowned themselves, and the villians were either empowered faggots, dead, empowered dead faggots, or a dude you'd rather have in your party vs the faggots you do have.

Blitzball is the only enjoyable part, as X manages to make even chocobo racing godawful.

I can't say much about FFX-2. I bought it as part of a package with FFX on PSN, but I had to quit 15-20 minutes in. The facial expressions and voice acting in the 'cutscenes' was unbearable… even worse than the cardboard of the Xenosaga series.

Finished it more times than I would like to admit. Not great, but the sphere grid is fun and the side quests are too

The story to FFX was a fucking mess. The relationship between Yu Yevon and Sin is never explained and why the people entombed in stone dreamed up of a guy with daddy issues who can't dress himself as the solution to killing a monster that revives itself is retarded. It gets tedious as shit to get all the final weapons, blitzball can be fun but the base team you get sucks. Also, Kimhari and the ronso's in general suck. Khimari is missing from quite a few cutscenes and it makes me wonder if it was just some Square-Enix dude hamfisting his shitty fursona into the game.

The only saving graces are the music, Blitzball after you replace the fat guy on the starting team, some of the trials and fights are fun and Jecht being flawed. Jecht being such a drunk blaggard, being such a shithead to his son and trying to make amends with him made him a believable character.

The problem with X-2 is the best ending completely made all the stuff Yuna did pointless because she was supposed to be getting over Tidus.

I wanna breed Rikku tbh
I thought X was an okay turn based rpg and had fun with X-2's battle system, since I'm not a completionist I didn't give a damn of how hard they are since I just don't do them.

There's a recurring npc with a unique character model and voiced lines that literally explains exactly this.
Not trying to say that it made the story not-retarded, just that you also might be retarded.
"[video game] can be fun but the default characters at level 1 suck."
???

Horrendous, it's everything that went wrong with FF.

X is only second to IX
The franchise is gay as hell though, im glad its dead

While 10 certainly isn't as good as anything that came before it (except 2 and maybe 3), it's also far better than anything that followed it. 10 is one of those games that keeps looking better after releases like 13 and 15.

They are considering X-3 after the VII Remake

I never got why people praised that game and then proceed to shit on XIII for being a big corridor.

I would bet they would consider a little bit of everything.
"after VII Remake " is God knows how long in the future with all the episodes and dev time they're going to try to put in. My guess is that they would try to make agni philosophy a game since it's assets and Ideas they have that they can cobble together into an incoherent mess

That thing about Tidus's head being blown out because he kicked a Bomb thinking it was a blitzball ? Then he's a ghost and Yuna must keep that a secret because he would disappear again or some stupid shit like that.

A combination of pretty new tech and presentation, mixed with a much better cast of characters (at least in relation to XIII's) is most likely what fooled everybody. Now? Sure, easy to see that X is just as narrow and linear but even knowing this the cast and world setting is more interesting that what you get with Lightning and crew.

X's fine, but I prefer X-2.

Nah, just difficult. There's a lot of subtle, missable events.

Wasn't Tidus coming back only temporary? Also
Like providing an Eternal Calm, getting Yevon back on track, and ending a civil war? That's not invalidated by bringing back Tidus.

Ivalice > FFX > FFXIII

Reminder that 13 makes a lot more sense when you realize Vanille is the main character and not the shitty hamfisted waifu
Too bad it's still shit though

More like "it makes sense when you pay attention". It's not hard to understand. Only the ending is confusing due to actual lack of details.

You kind of drone out the fact that anyone else can be main character when the cover of all three games has her and you have propaganda like vid related

i enjoyed it.
Would replay at 60 fps on the HD remake
fast paced turn based. and X-2 has a fast paced ATB system.

they made it easier to 100% in the remake.
Im waiting till december. my brother wants to see me play the remake and KH2 final Mix

It's alright. It doesn't deserve as much shit as it gets, but there are some aspects that make it a shittier experience, like the 10,000 lightning bolt dodges for Lulu's special weapon. What the fuck, man.

If you can ignore the actual playout of the game just due to the cover, then I guess.

Al Bhed are the whites, you clown. They're the technologically advanced people, the other people, whatever they're called, are the backwards religious fanatic brown savages.

Believe it or not Arabs were more technologically advanced than Europeans in Medieval times. During the crusades knights brought back advanced medical, astronomical and mathematical knowledge including the Arabic numeric system we still use today.

It's only worth playing it for Tidus's laugh.

A series that shouldn't have actually been a series and it's a goddamned shame that X-2's fantastic combat system was wasted on idolshit and an unnecessary sequel to boot. Replacing Lulu with Payne because of her personality not meshing with the whole concept and having too big a rack to be a jailbait idol is hilarious.

It's explained to you quite a number of times, Sin is a massive summon perpetuated by Yu Yevon using aeons (quite handily provided by Yunalesca and summoners going on pilgrimages) as the rebuilt core whenever Sin is destroyed. Sin's religious significance is a total and complete sham and the thing only exists to keep a memory of Zanarkand alive.
Looking purely at X Tidus is part of the new life created by Zanarkand's residents on a regular basis, and Tidus himself is a product of Jecht's stumbling, mildly abusive fatherhood. Looking at X-2, Tidus is a reflection of a faggot named Shuyin.
Kimahri on a gameplay level sucks, repeating the fucking mistake of locking his actual class features behind limit breaks that FF7 started and FF8 perpetuated with blue magic. Kimahri's blue magic is not powerful enough to actually warrant locking behind a limit break, and the same goes for his Jump. He also becomes functionally useless early on the very moment you can apply Piercing to another party member's weapon.

I couldn't stop fucking laughing when I first heard about that supplementary novel.

t. sand nigger

Mighty Guard and White Wind are pretty good. Also, Stone Breath is busted early on.

t. basic history class, more like. You'll note the Islamic intellectual domination of the world was brief in the historical span of things and still largely built upon the works of prior philosophers, if you want to shitpost about how those gosh-darn mudslimes never had anything to boast about because the internet told me so.

Not only that, it's a major plot point that could only be missed by falling asleep while in Zanarkand, revisit Bevelle, and shortly after when you talk to Bahamut's Fayth.

>history (((class)))

Akbar yourself mudshit

They're pretty good but they're pretty good in every other game they pop up in too. If Kimahri's rages were just stock-standard blue magic with an MP cost (and his Jump was a normal dragoon's jump instead of a one-off attack that's not worth waiting for the gauge to fill for) I'd have absolutely no problem with the character's mechanics.

Great story, very tragic, I think it's the one of the best jrpg stories.

They kinda butchered the lore if that official novella and the audio drama are canon. Better to just leave it at X-2, it's a perfect wrap up for the story.

Unfortunately he's right, did you know the chinese were once capable of producing useful things a (very) long time ago?
You should also sage your posts if you're going to have an offtopic discussion.

Yeah, I feel you. Jump, at the least, should have been a standard command. X-2 fixed the blue mage problem, though.

How is two games a series?

So in 2025 then?

I want X-2's battle system and incarnation of the Job system for something that isn't a badly-written idol game.

My Final Fantasy would be to stick my asses between Lightning's man balls, if you know what I mean.

Do you call it that because of the two concerts, or just there's transforming in the game?

This one's stale, do you have any fresh memes?

It's better than 6 in every single way because you actually have a story, characters with personalities, a pretty intuitive leveling system but the ending was the fucking shittiest thing I've ever seen. You're literally fucking invincible and it's not even a challenge. On the other hand you have 6 the most overrated POS to come out since Ocarina of Time. I've played then US and JP version and there is not much of a difference to say, but the battle system is fucking retarded, let's just all master the same fucking magic and remove all strategy from the game. And don't even get me started about the story. Compared to the previous titles though I'll give it the fact that it actually has a story, that is literally the same shit since the fucking first game.

Concerts, dress-up concept and the fashions associated with each dressphere, age-bracket of the three characters/replacement of Lulu

I thoroughly enjoy both, played through X countless times and did a 100% run of x2 within the last year.

Tidus and Wakka were a mistake. The game should have featured an all female cast for the party.

HAHAHAHAA XD GOOD MEME

Man, I never would have managed to beat the game without her fucking Mix overdrive.

There is no dress-up.
Has nothing to do with idols, and they all fit thematically.
Again, there are two, and 1 takes less than 2 minutes also being largely skippable.
Has nothing to do with idol games. I guess you just dislike it a lot.

I hope you're not serious.

Did it have anything to do with the fact that Muslims stole everything from the nations they raped and pillaged?

Having Wakka make Lulu pregnant should be considered a crime.

best girl in the entire series

What else were they supposed to do on Besaid?

It's actually worse than you think. Because if the current post game lore put out by Square is canon, the Farplane is leaking into the world and anyone can basically call whomever they want from the Farplane, so Sin is coming back. Now, the interesting thing would be Chappu is coming back too, I mean, surely Wakka or Lulu would want to bring him back.

What is a dressphere and Garment Grid? The entire Job system revolves around playing dress-up.
Horseshit.
Some do, some don't. Dresspheres in general are a stylistic nightmare considering the rest of Spira or FFX's fashions. Alchemist being inspired by Al Bhed clothing is very nice though.
That they're there at all is my point.
Oh sure, the three early-20s and small-chested main characters and one fuller-figured character being omitted in favor of a similar but more idol-appropriate character has absolutely nothing to do with idols.

I really like X because I like the story and because the soundtrack is top tier. I also think the characters are pretty good, even Tidus, because there is some character development going on in each of them. The visuals were stunning for the time (that might be PS2 nostalgia, though), and the setting was great. Each of the areas had mystique and made me want to be there. I liked the monster design too, but I'm a sucker for alien looking life forms.
Granted, FFX is somewhat of a movie, but in this case, I really don't mind. It doesn't try to shove niggers down my throat on every turn.

FFX-2 took a big shit over all of this by being a dress up simulator with terrible characters (Yuna becomes a bitch, Rikku goes from adorable, bubbly girl to full retard lobotomite, and then there's Paine.
Paine?
Payne?
TELL ME ABOUT PAINE! WHY DOES SHE WEAR A BELT AROUND HER SHOULDERS?
In short, all the characters have been reduced to one-dimensional retards. The soundtrack is leagues worse, and the entire story is a boring shitfest.
A FUCKING CONCERT WITH THE DAUGHTER OF HIGH SUMMONER BRASKA, THE KILLER OF YUNALESCA, THE BANE OF SIN SINGING
The combat is different. I preferred the round based combat of X with its fancy animations, but that's entirely subjective.

To sum it up, I think X-2 completely dropped the ball and should probably never have been greenlighted. It plays like a feverish nightmare, like a terrible fan fiction come to life.

Guess the Greeks aren't a bunch of mongrels drowning in debt now because nothing ever changes.

Waifu garbage with awful writing.

I didn't grind.

But the music in X-2 was better.

XIII did everything X did wrong but worse with a bad main cast and with a worse story.

Also X characters were not shoved down our throats for a decade

X: Liked the effort to try new things like blitzball as well as work it into the story. At the time, it was a seemingly well polished beautiful game which you could spend as little or a lot of time to finish if you wanted. Story was quite interesting to me as a younger person.
X-2: The foreboding downhill point for the series, favoring fashion and pop over craftsmanship. Never finished it.

You didn't need to. Even the harder bosses had weaknesses that you could exploit. Evrae being vulnerable to darkness, Seymour being weak to poison. The game isn't that tough, outside of optional content.

Literally a class. A play on words, sure, but it's a class. Now, if you made outfits for the characters, that'd be another story.
Same shit. You can swap on the fly and pick what classes each character uses. A play on words.

Alright, whatever. Seems like a silly complaint for such a minor inclusion.

Lulu has literally no reason to tag along. Her job was done in the previous game. Also, by that definition, the previous game would qualify as idol shit. Having young characters doesn't make it an idol game, dude. Hell, that's a standard characteristic of the genre.

Just so we don't have a pointless back and forth, I'll just let the fact that the three girls get different outfits for each class be a reason to classify the game as "idol shit". Whatever.

One of the things that makes X so cool is that it informs you about the turns of each party member and enemy, which gives you more control over the battle, not to mention you can switch party members during combat.
I think it's the best combat system in a FF game, it's a shame the end-game drops the ball by making every character virtually the same once you fill out every sphere grid, with the Overdrives being the only distinction. A no-sphere-grid run sounds like fun and would help preserve each character's unique strengths and weaknesses.

As for FFX-2, I feel nothing but disgust towards that fucking abomination. It's by far one of the games I hate the most. I didn't like that game back in the day even as a hardcore FF fan, and I especially didn't like it when I recently got the FFX/FFX-2 collection.
It has a completely different tone from its predecessor, and has no good reason for being so overly flashy and girly when it's a direct sequel to FFX set in the same world. It essentially shits all over X tried to accomplish, be it in the technical sense of the gameplay, or aesthetic. There was this sense of tragedy and bitter-sweetness to it that was completely overturned by FFX-2 in favor of trying to chase after a j-pop, idol fanbase or whatever. Fuck, even the menu screen is super obnoxious to look at.
I especially don't understand why people praise this game's combat, because the camera and the characters in battle jump all over the damn place, and something as simple as keeping up with the damage numbers on the screen feels totally counter-intuitive. It's literally style over substance.
On top of that, it regressed to the same old, typical JRPG leveling up system with a very limited party size and no real distinctions in personality between the characters.

The opening music was very good, I guess. Other than that, fuck this game and everything it represents.

That's unlikely to happen. The only reason why your characters would end up as copies of one another is if you took the effort to make them that way. If by endgame you mean post-game, then you have a point.

It literally takes place 2 years after the first game, in a Spira where Yuna brings the eternal calm and decides to actually enjoy her life(with Rikku's help), as opposed to being prepared to sacrificing it. It has plenty of reason to be as light-hearted as it is. The tone shifts halfway through the game, anyhow. This is even more the case in a new game+, when you learn more about the background of Yevon.

Squeenix representative you can go fuck yourself with your datamining. I'm sure you're the one who made too.

How so? I have both versions, so I'm curious. I think I only made it to 92 or 93%.

Not going to call that good, but at the same time, it fits the bill of "so fucking stupid that it becomes honestly hilarious". Like they saw someone's shitty fanfiction and opted to make it canon. Come to think of it though, shitty fanfiction was apparently part of Square's hiring process at one point (according to Mato, who had tried applying there at one point).

2 fucking games and one where u have to watch every single cut scene to get the extra ending where they get together and that bitch just break with after bring him back

I'm pretty sure it's just the ones with Maechen you have to sit through completely.

On second thought, I might be wrong about that. Not entirely sure.

To be honest, I'd actually like to see Square render that "kicks bomb, head explodes, lands next to Yuna and explodes as well, Yuna faints" as game quality footage. Which isn't to say I'd want a game about X-2.5, just an actual fucking clip of that for the sake of how stupid it is.

What can you expect from the same company that destroyed their biggest brand by letting their lead dev make it about his waifu. On a side note, does anyone know anything about the Japanese book industry? I'm just curious as to who the fuck wrote that tripe and what everyone over there thought. It must've really pissed people off, considering that seems to be Japan's favorite mainline FF.

WHACK 'IM

I've never heard anyone praise any FFX-2 song; furthermore, the chocobo theme is an abomination.

man of culture.png

Only decent songs were besaid and abyss in the farplane.

does your game have a character who has a sine-wave pattern where every x number of turns he puts on his luchadore mask and becomes Grand Papillon, granting him access to pro wrestling moves and increasing his stats? no? then get the fuck out of my face i've actually never played nocturne and have only ever heard great things about it but i never get to talk about SHC

I'd love to see more Shadow Hearts discussion myself, but there's very little to warrant making a thread for them that will just rot in the catalog with maybe ten posts at best these days (I mainly just save it for PS2 and JRPG threads instead). On one hand, it angers me that Aruze dissolved Nautilus and sits on the series' rights in favor of pumping out more pachislot shit. On the other hand, these days I'm kind of glad they're happy to do nothing with the series, in light of stuff like Breath of Fire, Wild Arms, Arc the Lad, etc, all being reanimated as mobile zombies, as if mobilefags make up more of a potential fan/consumerbase than people that had played them on consoles when they were current. Fuck that.

Nocturne is a very solid and brutally challenging jrpg with legitimately interesting turn based mechanics and really great bosses. It's one of the few jrpgs that actively discourages grinding due to it's press turn system. (the game is designed so that characters battling are awarded turns if they exploit a weakness. If you hit a fire enemy an ice attack you do more damage, get an extra turn. That sort of thing. You also lose a turn if you miss or void it completely if your attack heals them instead. This makes it so that you really have to prepare for encounters and you're never truly entitled to victory without adapting to what the battle has in-store for you. Even fighting lower level enemies can make fights take longer than they should if you don't pay attention.)

It also has a very great art style, it's plot is well paced, minimalistic and has a strong philosophical bent and a killer soundtrack. The US version is also the best version of the game (it was originally released in Japan but later came out with an enhanced re-release with Dante from Devil May Cry in it. The enhanced re-release was the one localized in the West. It's a great version because it added a shitton of content to the game and makes the entire experience more complete.)

Press turn doesn't discourage grinding. You can argue that it discourages not paying attention, but there's no mechanic that discourages grinding in Nocturne. Certainly not press turn, in any case.

Didn't Nocturne see a second enhanced rerelease with Raidou instead of Dante? Did that one change anything else aside from the guest character?

There are bosses straight up in Nocturne that took me days to figure out because they were puzzle-like.

In most jrpgs, Final Fantasy especially, it's notorious for just being the case where if you just kill lower level mobs for a few hours you really shouldn't have any problem running the game. In Nocturne there's a newbie stomper boss an hour into the game where if you don't figure out the enormous usefulness of buff/debuff spells you will lose to him.

Only in Japan. It was done afaik due to them losing the license to Dante

Not to my knowledge. Raidou is better than Dante stat wise because he knows pierce (which makes him enormously useful against the secret boss of the game).

Okay, sure, but that's still not anti-grind. It's still just anti-not-paying-attention.

There is no mechanic at any point in Nocturne that restricts or really even discourages you from abusing random battles to level Demifiend and your current demons. That's how plenty of people DO get past Matador and related boss fights: they just level until the bosses aren't a problem anymore.

No, no! Dey wuz algorithmacists n sheeeeit.

Wasn't there a book written as the sequel to X-2 that's infamous for being, somehow, even worse than the narrative for the games? Someone told me Ha Ha man kicks a landmine he thinks is a Blitzball and blows his own head off, and said head lands in the Yuna's lap?

Alright, just seemed a bit weird to hear that the game got not only a rerelease on the same console (which isn't that strange on it's own, at least out there, given the nature of "International" editions and such), but a second one, also on the same system. How popular was Nocturne out there to get given that treatment? Or was the Raidou one more of a reprint with that single change merely due to licensing, rather than wanting to improve the game further?

See

The whole reason the dark ages even happened was because of Muslims destroying the Byzantine empire which was far more advanced than Medieval Europe; there was actually a massive technological regress during the dark ages due to all of the lost knowledge that came about because of the civilization that preceded those time.
As for Islams "technologically advanced" society that is bullshit too, most of their achievements were a result of European slaves who did most of the mental work for them, it's not a secret that most of the intellectual progress in the Muslim empire was a result of of Greek dhimmi's.

The reason "Islamic intellectual domination" was so brief was because it was artificial and not a result of the bloodline of the people. Arabs were no more responsible for the advancements made in their empire than blacks were responsible for the former prosperity of South Africa. The amount of lies they teach white people in regards to their own history is insane, when I came to the US to finish my degree I got chewed out by my professors more than once for having "the wrong" perspective on European history, I imagine Europe is even worse.

modern Greeks aren't the Greeks of antiquity, there is a very significant admixture of Turk blood that they are a completely different people. It's like if all American whites interbreed with blacks and the resulting mulattoes are considered the same people who built America.

I liked trying to suss out what exactly they meant to say, if you interpret Yevon as Christianity. The game presents us a world where technology has engendered a spiritual rot that is slowly killing society. That is pertinent, yet it's not done in the excruciatingly self-conscious way that Deus Ex: Human Revolution handles its real-world content.

There's a whale involved. You can take it as a literal whale and enjoy your vidya, but you can also read it as a biblical allegory. The whale is called Sin, and is a punishment for something we only learn about in the endgame, which iirc is more or less jews punishing europe for the holocaust, forever or something like that; not Original Sin as you might have thought up to that point.

And what about Jonah and the Whale? The crew of a ship hits rough seas, decide to sacrifice Jonah, who offers himself as a sacrifice, at which point the sea becomes calm. This is obviously not a coincidence: Yuna is Jonah. The j in Jonah is even pronounced as a y. But of course, the story in FFX ends up inverting the story of Jonah. Jonah prays and god lets him out of the whale whereas Yuna et al. free themselves by casting off the shackles of tradition… sort of. Is it even their own proper tradition, or something imposed upon them by those fuckers across the sea? I really can't remember at this point.

Anyway, if you like thinking, there's a lot of stuff you can think about here. I don't think that's true of the other games in the series. I mean, you can concoct absurd theories about Squall being dead, but… Well, what does FF7, for example, ask about identity? I don't think its questions are as probing or as pertinent. FF13, meanwhile, pretends to have something to say about religion by making Lightning this grumpy chick tract atheist so that she can have an epiphany and do a character development! They really seemed to have this notion that this thing we call "character development" is really a bodily function, like jacking off or taking a shit.

In that way, FFX had music whereas 13 only had the notes.

As for X-2, I'm not suffering through 40 hours of absurd minigames without my titmonster waifu bending over and jiggling at the end of every battle.

The only good FF games are 7 and 8 it died after that

Yeah, the story has sufficient depth to analyze it, which is more than I can say for most FF stories. One of the odd things is that despite its anti-religion overtones, there's some definite messianic imagery and allegories in it, with the summoners being meant to sacrifice themselves for the people, and Tidus eventually doing so instead despite not being part of their religion. It seems to be somewhat inspired by Gnosticism, which you can find references to in many games of that period, such as Xenogears and Chrono Cross. In these games, there's a true God or some other force that represents goodness or just leaving people alone to live their own lives, but the public believes in a false god set up to take advantage of them. In FFX's case, they came to believe in this false religion because of technological disasters which had befallen them previously. Deus Ex presents a world where technology is being used to create a socially atomized totalitarian corporatist society, which is one such disaster that could make people shy away from it. In that way it's much like FFVII's world. Ironically, one of the other biggest pieces of what-the-fuck official fanfic lore after Tidus getting decapitated by a blitzball bomb is that Shinra from X-2 eventually colonized the FFVII world, leading to the events of FFVII, so if this is taken as canon, it would appear that people learned absolutely nothing and repeated history yet again.

Rikku is the best waifu. I want to do lewd things with her, such as cuddling with her and holding her hand.

Back to Reddit, even juvenile entry level RPGs are beyond your league.

Seeing eiko concept art in the old PSX magazines was my first wank as a kid

Haven't played X-2 (and for good reason) but at some point I inevitably will.

X has a few really good qualities about it like the Sphere Grid and the battle system, but literally everything else is fucking garbage. From the characters, to the map design and to the writing, it's all garbage tier.

They said that it was a financial success in both Japan and the West. It's financial success was also the reason why Digital Devil Saga 1/2 were localized

Most likely it was due to licensing although the Dante one is still up on PSN

it's most likely if Sega was going to re-release Nocturne they'd either port the Dante one or translate the Raidou one.

Didn't remember this.

What? It was crystal clear: Yu-Yevon IS Sin. The people of Spira were worshiping their tormentor. You fight the dude inside Sin, in order to perma-kill it.
Because there was a guy with daddy issues who can't dress himself living in Zanerkand. The zanerkandites dreamed everybody that lived there at the time of its destruction. And there's nothing special about that incarnation of [unstylish daddy issues guy] either: It wasn't his grand destiny to save Spira and it could have been any other citizen who did it. He just happened to be the son of the guy that was in the right place at the right time.

Jecht was a far superior protagonist compared to whiny daddy issues Tidus.

Final Fantasy X 1/2 where you play as Jecht and Braska and get to meet loli Yuna when?