Skinner Box

When did this become a bad term?

I remember back in the day when settling down and grinding a bunch of resources to sell in town was a relaxing way to finish the day.

Now its become a buzzword for some reason.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning_chamber
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because grindan is cancer. Any type of grindan. Video games must be fun. And mmos are shit anyway.

because you don't understand the concept of a skinnerbox.

There's a difference between that and crates which require money to open

most games have some sort of grinding to fill some sort of bar or collect all of something for some reason to progress or open up the extra level.

what apout finger boxes?

Looks like fun too, right?

you could say that real life is a glorified, overtly complex version of that too.
work 10 hours a day just so that you don't starve/freeze to death and spend your remaining money in petty toys and entertainment to pass the little free time you have from your work on the road to your death.

That was never good. You're just an autistic cunt.

Well user, I don't have all the time in my life to grind shit just to become .02x more powerful.

Being conditioned to do the same things over and over for a reward is lazy development! It's d-different when other games do it! You are a slave to psychological tricks user! It's not because I'm bad at jrpgs baka!

just say 2 percent you fucking moron

You could have completed so many interesting games of normal length in the time it takes to do those dull repetitive tasks. If I pay money for something it needs to respect my time, not the other way around.

Wow so deep user! Fucking mongoloid

there's a fine line between skill and time

holy shit op is a faggot today

holy shit this guy is mad about other people having a relaxing time

people like to complete games, then put them back on the shelf, like a movie they watch.

It's like 3rd of 4th thread in a row?
What are you getting at op?
Is this some elaborate scheme to shill some new MMO or private server?

check em

This bullshit didn't get common until the mid-late 90s, though a few platformers used collectathon shit to differentiate themselves from the other thousands in the genre before that. Arcade games never had this problem. It was just you and the game and gitting gud with what you had.

Do you have any clue what a skinner box is? Are you a fucking retard?

Didn't you hear OP? Now that normalfags are so enlightened they can come in and disrupt established vidya concepts because it triggers them that a small fraction of video games demand time from you.

i can't stop laughing XDDD

That's not funny.

Classic meme, amigo.

That. Vidya including semi-repetitive actions to give the player a dopamine hit is fine, but exploiting that to extract shekels each time is sick.

Holy fucking shit.

im not justifying it, just stating a fact.

go back to Holla Forums if you want to be an extremist retard who can only see 2 points of view

its not. accept it. pick whatever grind suits you and stop being a cunt.

Since the day the phrase was coined. Completing a simple/repetitive task is not fun. Regardless of your level of retardation. autists not included because autists hate skinner-boxes the most

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning_chamber

It shows there's nothing to the game beyond the simple exchanges of rewards and the satisfaction you get from said award. Games need to be way more diverse than simple skinner boxes. You are simply doing simple task for simple rewards with nothing going for the game but just getting that reward. These type of games lack depth, interesting mechanics, and simply rely on the addictive nature of people to supply them with money either due to some gem bullshit or some RNG based crate drops and such.

Okay, you’re obviously just a shill.

And what is he shilling exactly?

you're a walking emotional disaster

You just had shit taste.
I never had to grind for shit in Guild Wars. You could, for vanity purposes. It was never a must, and there was plenty of content to go through even before that. Plus actual hard mode content and other shit of the sort. You don't see that nowadays.

Everything will be okay, user. I promise!

Also, this shit is stupid. If you're taking a shitty job, that's your own god damn fault. Enjoy what you're doing.

Nihilism and the psychotic “rat race” worldview, you illiterate fuck. Holy shit, you’re retarded.

wew

Fuck off if you have nothing meaningful to add.

#triggered

I'll be here for you as the world falls down, user!

What?

Actually it was rather dreary, and I only did it because I was a kid with plenty of time to waste and the reward was ussually enough to keep me going. But should I ever question why I was actually grinding I'd end up putting it off until I either say "fuck it" and just stop grinding for extras and take whatever the game throws at me anyways or simply stopped playing.

Skinner Boxes didn't come up as why you'd even grind at all until WoW in the middle of it's lifespan and people wouldn't shut up about it when some guy revealed the secret to MMO success.

i dont talk to retards sorry

every job is shitty though. when you're forced to work 8 hours a day on something, no matter what you do eventually becomes boring shit. you get fed up with everything after being exposed to it too much.

What popularized this shit? It seems to me like there's a billion of these.

its not about a shitty job or a good job, its about modern life being a grinding threadmill like MMOs except, well, a lot more complex.

just do whatever you want, grind in real life, or grind in an MMO. real life does have a lot more "content" than any MMO though the learning curve is a lot tougher and success is down to pure RNG when you do the big math.

screaming that you're right does not make you right.
screaming it again after you're told you're wrong also doesn't make you right
go ahead, make another greentext post screaming that you're right, that will definitely make you right, right?

is it that fun to antagonize people for no reason? i mean i get it, you can't do that in Holla Forums anymore because kampfy will ban you permanently (again most likely) so you go into the next most popular board to do the same, knowing that mark is a lot more liberal (in the good sense) when it comes to bans.

from what i gather, it was Oneyplays, a jewtuber.

Grinding builds character.

doesn't matter if tasks change. you could be working on different projects with the same tools and environment and you'll still get fed up with it. a mechanic can work on several vehicles each day and he'll still get fed up. same goes for any other job. even in vidya you'll get fed up with grinding and switching a zone, continuing grinding on mobs that require different tactics and abilities to kill won't make you feel any better.

name one job that isn't repeating the same exact set of tasks.

do not mix up skinnerbox with the concept of grind.

a skinnerbox is a tool used for conditioning, that is controlled by a higher power, where you are guaranteed to receive a reward given that you perform the task enough times.
in real life nothing is guaranteed, there's no higher manager of real life, your "job" could go up in flames tomorrow and you will have to go and find another "job" to "grind" at to prevent starvation. by definition, real life cannot be a skinnerbox.
it can also NOT be a grind, however, the current ruling system of the world makes it nearly impossible to have a non-grind life.

put it this way, how many people do you know that have a different job every single day? or that can stop working for a whole week or months at any point and then resume doing multiple different jobs? none. people pick one or two skills and grind those, either to achieve mastery, or for simple commodity and a sense of belonging/peace.

couldn't the server for your game go down tomorrow?

We don't all have ADHD. I happen to love what I do.
I almost did something I wasn't going to enjoy because it paid more, but fuck that shit.

yeah, but they usually give you a warning months before and you can always find a new server

can you find a new real life to play? because that would be great.

Because it's fun as a kid when you have all the time in the world to grind mindlessly and can amuse yourself playing garbage.

To be fair most jobs are utterly shit and even the few enjoyable are walking the road to hell, not because the job itself but the corporate suits with fancy business titles that get hired to run the show.

I loved my job until corporate sharks arrived and started with the "vision" "efficiency" "teamwork" mindset that translated to "more hours" "lower wages" "retarded managers/subbosses", the 2 first are bad, the third one is what makes it almost unbearable.

This is only relaxing if its a reliable or guaranteed acquisition but by random amounts within a certain range e.g reliable xp per kill within an area because generally the monsters are in the same level range.

I remember grinding for stuff, then feeling a tug between my desire for that item and doing something else I want to do that I consider more fun at an intrinsic level, then feeling its an obligation more so than leisure. And now its like my subconscious recognizes its being gamed and stops releasing endorphin in grind sessions.

But those two are literally contradictory. Nihilism is not giving a fuck; engaging in the "rat race" is giving too much of a fuck.