This game is fun

This game is fun.

I just realized how stable the oldschool TCG was. Haymakers, Rain Dance and Wigglytuff decks dominated but there's a bunch of other valid tactics and you can always make a decent deck that revolves around your favorite card.

I have a Nidoking deck, an Aerodactyl deck that prevents evolutions, a Dodrio + Rapidash toolbox deck, an Arcanine deck for raw damage and an Electric/Fighting bench attack deck. Magnemite and Hitmonlee work wonders.

Also fuck Murray and his stall deck.

Other urls found in this thread:

romhacking.net/translations/1736/
ufile.io/ic35o
jklaczpokemon.wordpress.com/
oldiscool.net/
jklaczpokemon.wordpress.com/2002-base-to-neo/
compendium.pokegym.net/compendium-bw.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

too bad you have to spend 90% of the game hunting down the cards you need before you can build any interesting decks

It's really easy. But it does kill the fun of opening booster packs though.

Also shilling for TCGone.net
It's the Pokemon equivalent of YGO's Dueling Network.

There's the official online game, but this one focuses more on classic cards (covers Base Set to Neo and even generation 3).

Which Pokemon has the best feet? ":3c

Poliwrath.

Old TCGs like this are fun as fuck. I'm sad that digital TCG/CCG have become F2P money sinks. I don't buy physical cards anymore because I don't play and new shit comes out that's not always as interesting as old shit, or it suffers from power creep like YGO.

Somewhat related, Card City Nights 2 comes in September. I'm excited for a PC card game that won't try to jew me out of money.

Is it possible to do netplay with GBC emulators? Pokemon TCG2 over net would be neat.

10/10 tastes

We need more simple card games that don't go yugiho tier retarded with the effects and types.

Coin flip a shit

Dudes lose their eyesight playing jewioh, new starter decks come with fagnifying grasses. Jusg don't play in direct stunright. Fear za burn.

I never actually played the old PokeTCG. I just did what every other kid did and collected the cards for the cool pictures on them

After the whole Link-system change I gave up on it altogether. Maybe it'll change the game for the better(lol), but after just getting used to all the new mechanics and trying to catch up with all the new archetypes and finding a couple fun ones it just became a drag.

Then play Fighting or Fire decks, they don't require much coin flipping.

mite b kewl. Is this in the context of the gameboy color game that op posted?

Yes. I'm playing it right now.

If you hate coin RNG, don't pick the Bulbasaur starter deck and stay away from grass pokemon in general.

Nidoran still gives me nightmares.. all those tails in a row, fuck.

Why not play GB2? romhacking.net/translations/1736/

I wonder how much the balance has changed, I've never actually played a lot of GB2.

It's even better but I'd play the first game before jumping into the sequel.

Also I'm using a cheat code to get all cards, and I don't know how to do that in TCG 2 (which has like 100 more cards and a "Dark" variant of every fully evolved pokemon).

One disappointing thing is that they didn't include Johto 'mons in the sequel. There's Marill, Togepi and Lugia as promotional cards if I remember correctly, but that's it.

Wow, I thought it did for some reason and completely glossed over the fact that it's literally the Rocket expansion. Whoops.

I think I'm gonna try playing GB2, actually. I nearly beat the first one but once I got to the Elite4 and learned I could remake my decks between battles, it lost it's charm. The rest of the game was comfy as fuck to run through and build decks as needed.

I'll keep that in mind. How is the difficulty curve without cheats? Grindy?

I swear, there's a trick to flipping coins. I used to get pretty consistent heads.

I mean, it's a card game. You gotta get cards somehow. Generally speaking, it's pretty manageable with its difficulty. I beat it in one sitting as a kid.

Is there a YGOPRO for this? I'm not playing any microtransaction/always online exclusively bullshit.

the two player link match was more fun than the entire game.

tcgone.net

Although it's kind of barebones, not as flashy or animated as ygopro.

It's pretty easy as you get a lot of booster packs by beating NPCs. It doesn't feel like grinding at all because the duels themselves are fun.

It only becomes grindy in the very late game when you have most cards and are just looking for something specific or multiple copies of something to build your dream deck, but by that point you should just use gameshark cheats.

Can it be downloaded and played offline with AI is what I want to know.

Beatable in a long sitting if you're dedicated enough and you don't care about the perfect deck but just want to make something good enough to pound whatever's in your way. You'd have to rebattle the same duelists a few times if you want specific packs, but if you don't enjoy playing the card game and trying new decks, why are you playing in the first place? Every battle is relatively interesting and it's not a guarantee that you'll win right off the bat. If you want an extra challenge, only battle as much as needed to get to the Club Master and don't battle anyone else beyond that. It'll give you enough of a challenge. Otherwise, it's Megaman style, choose your own order and you'll get cards from one Club that are better against cards in another Club. Pretty standard stuff, not insanely difficult. Club Masters can wreck you if you're not prepared though. I was dumb as a kid and never tried to deviate too much from my original deck's typing and got steam rolled when I went up against something that had one mon that could crush mine.

It's browser based. No AI.

For fun, m8. You'd be surprised how long a new set of batteries can last. And how far you'll progress in the game, knowing that you can't save it

One thing to remember with the first game is that all coin flips are predetermined when a match starts. So trying to reload during matches for a coin flip will never work.
I don't think this is the case for the second one though

My definition of grindy in TCG vidya is dueling the same opponent, using the same deck more than 5 times. Maybe 10 times, if winning is still a thrill.

Here's a 100% complete save file if anyone is interested. Has 99 of every card.

ufile.io/ic35o

Bitch, learning how to deal with bad luck is a skill in and of itself. A game where you make educated decisions, but with imperfect information and not knowing upcoming cards is going to take way more skill

Nah, you can easily just beat a few duelers in a club 3-4 times each and have plenty of cards to build decent decks with. And then you can change out your decks for whatever you pull to challenge other people. It definitely doesn't feel grindy.

The DS SvC card game, on the other hand… Hoo boy. That shit feels like a grind. It's an interesting set up but not my favorite. It plays a little closer to MtG but the AI is braindead and the game isn't as fun. Also I have the first version of the game which has a bug that makes NG+ literally impossible to beat so I'm not a big fan of it.

Competitive Pokemon player here.
Check out this blog
jklaczpokemon.wordpress.com/
Its really cool and I shill it whenever I see people talk about the card game here. The site has shit ton of deck lists for all of these older formats all of which are really fun to net deck.
Oh and check out this Spanish website
oldiscool.net/
This one is very interesting. In short in South America playing base through Neo is a somewhat popular (considering what it is) format to play there and this site is dedicated to it. Jason's blog also talks about this format if you are interested in it here
jklaczpokemon.wordpress.com/2002-base-to-neo/
You can rarely find guys playing base-neo on tcgone but keep in mind that site is super dead outside of gen 1-3 stuff because the owner hasn't updated in like a year.
If you have any questions feel free to ask, I may or may not be on tomorrow :^)

Holy shit tcgone updated with a new set in the first time in like a year 5 days ago and added more Career mode stuff.

Why not just play MTG?

Money and I really like how it plays personally. I'm probably autistic though.

Well you mentioned net decking, so you can probably find/use an emulator too.

I mean I could try it out but I don't really see my self getting into it tbh. Good luck on getting the last few cards though.

As someone who played Card Fighters 1, what's the appeal? All I could tell was I had to spend a lot of time grinding shitty no-strategy fights in order to get more than a tiny handful of the 'tool' cards that did something more than go in the field and attack, but the base strategy there seemed completely void of enjoyable aspects. It was just 'your number beats my number so I lose' and you just had to hope your big guys were out first.

Nah, spending hundreds of dollars on fancy pieces of paper is the autistic thing to do.

Wish tcgone had more players (especially new players).

As it currently stands it's extremely frustrating for a beginner to get going in the Career mode. You're stuck with a shitty starter deck (with too little energy and a clusterfuck of different pokemon instead of focusing on 1 strategy) while your opponents are all veterans that run Haymakers, Rain Dance and Gym leader decks full of
and they completely steamroll and run over you as they speed through their deck to get everything they need.

It's a real struggle, so the only viable thing to do seems to just surrender 1st turn and get those 5 bits. You'll lose and never KO a pokemon anyway, so you might as well just end and save yourself from struggling against rape.

Pro tip
IIRC you can play older formats in quick play to get half bits so try that my dude. Then buy cards off the market because most cards besides like SER are inflated thus relatively cheap

Good game, also had killer music.

Self-sage for double posting, but I can't embed YouTube and post images in the same post.
Misty, duh

What TCG video games are worth playing in general?

It's too bad most digital card games these days are cancerous time and money sinks. Video game adaptations in the 90's and 00's were actually kind of enjoyable.

Digimon: Digital Card Battle
One of the "lore autists" in the current / next Digimon thread on Holla Forums can give you the specifics

Modern Pokemon TCG is just milling half your deck in one turn to set up for night march or using the flavor of the month EX/GX/MEGA mon. I ought to give this a go.

You forgot Forbidden Memories :^)
I can't find any english videos of the AI cheating with a "view opponent's hand" code.
Basically, if the AI gets worse RNG than you, they will cheat and play a better card than yours from their deck.

That game was the only reason anyone even remembers the thunder dragon card. That single card could carry you the entire game if you play your deck right.

I loved this game, and some of the Yugioh games I've played as well. Card games are so goddamn comfy.

There's something so inherently fucking perfect about cards. They're convenient for using, easy to design in all kinds of ways, unrivaled for elements of management and strategy in games and they make satisfying sounds when you touch and move them.

I love that they've kept 100% the exact same back of the card since the start. There's something so timeless about it. It's like how much charm Indigo League merchandise had back in the day despite the various media and collectibles having a soul to them Red and Blue themselves didn't even touch.

No shit, if they change the back you can identify cards from their back, making decks with cards with different backs would be retarded. Any TCG is like this.

Technically they did change the card back in Japan at some point. I don't know which one I like better tbh.

You get bits by playing quickplay? I didn't know that. Thanks.

Technically not a TCG, but DBZ Legendary Super Warriors might be up your alley. It's turn-based and features cards.

Milling half your deck is now countered by Garbodor and Oricorio, the former punishing you for having tons of items in your discard pile and the latter for Pokemon

The funny thing is the MTG card back is full of errors yet they have to keep it as is

Play Hearthstone.

Depends on the type of quick play iirc like expanded quick play shouldn't get you anything but gen one should

COUGH COUGH GARDEVOIR GX COUGH COUGH

The first game is a little too simple in most cases, from what I remember. Action cards are nearly worthless, you're better off treating it like a creature heavy MtG deck game. There are some strategies but the AI doesn't use them a lot. Things like going for fatties but getting no SP for unison or dealing with sacrificing a card, or back up decks and abusing what'sherface to gain BP every turn, or using Regina to bounce anything over 600BP back to their owner's hand at the end of every turn. CF2 is much better about this and most AI have a theme and generally use it well. Also CF2 adds Re-Action cards for use only after your opponent declares his attackers and before you declare blockers.

Otherwise, it's about learning who to block with on your field to maximize damage and SP gain to do unison attacks or play Action cards. The joy is that it's nearly stick simple to play but you can use some neat effects to your advantage and collect Capcom and SNK characters to boot.

The only issue I had with this one was the fact that the coin flips weren't properly random. I'm pretty sure you could cheese anything by hitting a at the right point during the animation.

I actually think it's predetermined before a match starts, but I could be wrong. Either way, it's still a lot of fun.

For the AI, it might be. I remember getting coin flipped to death on some games, only for them to never flip heads again in the rematch.

for shame

For some reason, it's extremely interesting to me to see TCG attacks that ended up in the games two or three generations later.

Oh shit son, thanks user, I've been whinging about not having a YGOpro equivalent for ages.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that dunsparce is not a real card
What is hilarious to me though is the fact that pic related has 2 paragraphs of rulings
compendium.pokegym.net/compendium-bw.html

Didn't know it wasn't real. Still, it's pretty common to see in-game attacks have their origins in the TCG.

So many people don't get this. I even like RPGs with card battle systems. I can't get into Yugioh Tag Force Special, though. I think it's too modern for me. Either that, or there's too many cards. I don't know.

Yeah I think that mainly happens because they have to pump out original attack names alot so each rare looks different. Like you don't want 20 good Pokemon in the same format with the attack psyshock.

What are the best video game TCGs? I've been playing Pokemon TCG and its been pretty mint ay.

If you like non-standard games, Card City Nights is fun. Have a grid of 3x3 to make cards touch appropriately and do damage to your opponent.

Digimon World 3 also has a TCG in it, which plays slightly differently from the actual Digimon PSX card game, if you're into that sort of thing. I haven't played a lot of either one though.

Card Fighters Clash 2 is fun if you like simple card games and simple plans but also enjoy collecting cards and deck building.

There are some JP only card games that I want to learn but it's hard because I don't into moon. But Card Hero is an interesting one.

Dumb trivia, but in Pokemon TCG GB2, you can play as a girl who's default name is Mint. She's a qt. Mark and Mint are some of my favorite Pokemon protagonist designs and they're not even real trainers.

I'm saying they never once updated it to differentiate old and new cards despite the complete change in formats. It's surreal looking at it.

Good news, I'll give her a go

Is there a patched ROM floating around?

That's one of the weak points of Over the Nexus: To unlock some of the new packs you have to beat certain opponents 3 times each with absolutely no indication who you have to beat. The other weak point is half of the boosters is post-game only.

It had nice music too.

I remember hating this guy for a reason, might be his theme

See:

I have to say I really do prefer the pokemon card game when it was simple instead full of garbage NEO and EX shit.

The only good thing about Pokemon has nothing to do with the actual Pokemon.

Nigga Neo gen was the set that made the game not shit. Before that set you could remove a players hand T1 and donk them. Base-gym was not a good or healthy format and Neo fixed that. Gas your self.

I don't know if I'm doing this proper but I got a deck that I like that is basically pikachu + gengar where I use pikachu to hit the bench then gengar's pokeman power to move it all to one pokemon.
I'm not sure if this is a good plan or what but I just started and it seems to be doing okay.