Unlimited Continues?

Are unlimited continues a good game mechanic, or has it contributed to the all-around casualization of video games? Is it a positive, or negative change?

That depends entirely on how the stages are built.

Shit level design has contributed to the all around casualization of video games. Who cares if the game gives you unlimited continues if the stage is made in such a way only a drooling retard would game over on it.
I blame Mario 64 for it due to it's sharp drop of difficultly and no real hard levels on the same scale as the special stages of SMW.

Quicksaving is for pussies.

eat shit?

If its an arcady type game or a platformer then continues should be limeted, otherwise no, there should be saving/checkpoints.

It entirely depends on the game design. For rogue-likes, perma death is not such a bad thing because as you die you become better at the game and can regain lost time much faster than before which in itself is a reward. For a linear RPG, it would be the worst thing possible as the amount of time spent would hardly change between deaths.

You are the cancer killing vidya

They had to make SM64 easy as hell because it was the first 3D Mario game.

What? Almost every game that has a continue system can be beaten in less than 2 hours. Seems like someone is just asshurt that a game asks them to put in some actual effort for once. Continue systems were inherited from video games arcade roots, short games with continue systems so that people will keep dropping quarters to keep playing, most games past the NES completely dropped the continue system anyway in favor of save files and password systems.

Aside from fightans, I can't think of anything developed in the last 5 years that uses continues period.

If they wanted to make a tech demo then they should have just said so. The fact remains that SM64 was the beginning of them softening the blow so everyone could enjoy it. I'm not saying it was a bad game, i'm saying it was an EASY game that only rewarded good play when the player could break the game. Even then you could say that for damn near any game then.

He's saying if there was limited continues in a game that takes more than an hour to complete its a bad idea.

The placement of savepoints or places you return to on death is the most important factor of difficultly in most games.

I'm fairly certain that's literally why they did it though. It helps that the camera is too fucking shitty for difficult platforming.

Then that sounds like a design problem they should have fixed. Instead they toned back the difficulty so that anyone could beat it. I'm saying they fucked up because there was no special stages that challenged you by making you use everything the game has taught you. The worst level in sm64 is anything involving the flying cap because, like you said, the camera was FUCKED.

Mario 64 would have been fine if it had a mximum of 2 hits taken like the 2d Marios did. The implementation of the energy/hp meter ended up making things much easier than they needed to be. 64 would have been great if you died in one hit.

Depends on the stages. If you have well crafted levels then I'd like limited continues, if you have shitty fucking levels like Dustforce's or SMB's then I'd rather have unlimited continues instead.

Daily reminder that limited continues was the original Pay2Win and was 100% shekel-stealing kike trash from the start.

Everything you experience is an experience, you fucking retard.

It was great regardless. If you want a different game, just play a different game.

We're not talking about RPGs dingleberry.

This and allowing savescumming is generally a bad experience. Limited lives or hard to get continue points are the way to go. That, or making death part of the experience, like Exanima.

Limited lives and continues were holdover mechanics from the arcade and should have been eschewed from home releases entirely. If you wanna bot gud and go for a limited deaths run, you can apply that challenge to yourself manually.

The concept of "continues" doesn't necessarily need to be in a game, but something that actually limits the amount of mistakes you can make (whether lives or something else) is absolutely essential to forming any sort of risk-reward dynamic and providing incentive for becoming skilled.

Games such as Super Meat Boy and Fallout are the epitome of aimless, confused, trash game design and their influence has been detrimental across the industry.

We should be, they do play a role in this culture of bad design. PC RPGs especially, that have a very long history of expecting the crutch of saving and loading any time anywhere to mask uneven difficulty or outright unfair design.

I like Ikaruga's system: the more you play, the more continues you get. Of course, by the time you unlock free play, you are probably good enough to not need it.

I like the way that Sonic handled it, where continues essentially functioned as another life management system by giving you a limited amount that you can earn more of in a playthrough by collecting something or doing something specific.

But what does that have to do with unlimited continues?

They are, because they punish you for using them. A good game should generally make you use a shitload of continues. It's only shit as far as many arcade games are concerned, like most shmups. If you just come back where you were, then you can just pay to win and the whole thing is pointless. It's fine if it continues are limited. It takes more time and repetition, but good games with no (or limited) continues will always be designed around that (tend to be easier, in fact). Overall, I prefer having unlimited continues unless there are a lot of extra lives. Being able to die just allows you to try shit out without replaying the whole thing again. And it's good for practice. Also, the games can be a lot harder.

Have you ever played a PC RPG that limits the amount of times you can continue?

I recall reading about an old PC game that had real permadeath: when a character died, it was deleted from the game. When you ran out of characters to choose, you had to reinstall the game from the floppy disk.

I'd like to see you beat the original Ninja Gaiden with unlimited continues, Champ.

Western Game developers where the reason video games became casual shit. "Hardcore gamers" In the West = being morbidly obese and grinding for hours in a lazy MMO while eating McDonald. "Stealth Games" is just a FPS for low IQ retards with bad hand eye coordination. Western Roll playing is just escapism to avoid looking the the mirror and realizing you are morbidly obese. And Save scrubbing was always bad game design for lazy Amerifats

Mario was always for designed for little babby children. Special stages are not hard kiddo.

was*

The japanese market is full of grindy, cashshop filled, MMOs.

Also that wasn't your only grammatical error

That sounds terrible.

A lot of games with unlimited continues are so hard they can make you give up despite unlimited continues. It kind of evens out.

who fucking cares, that was the only error that significantly changed the meaning of the post. Please fuck off back to reddit nigger.

I did it, and that's actually a pretty interesting game to mention, because of how fucked up it is. Dying against any of the final bosses sends you back a few stages, but the bosses that you beat stay dead. Dying on stages sends you back to the previous checkpoint, and dying against the bosses sends you back to the beginning of the stage. I hated it before, but after beating the game twice, it's actually really easy to appreciate because it's a combination of infinite continues and no continues, and it actually did feel pretty rewarding most of the time.

People complain about that a lot (understandably), but it's way better than the arcade way of doing this, and people don't complain about that. Paying to win is pointless, but trying to 1cc anything just feels like a waste of time, and it's a self-imposed standard anyway (and if you want to practice, good fucking luck, unless you use save states, which I don't). Ninja Gaiden still generally makes you feel like you're always making progress, except maybe before you really get your hands to memorize those final areas to a good extent.

I love Ninja Gaiden. Never managed to beat Jaquio's first form on Ninja Gaiden 2, though. Maybe I should give it another try.

Those are the best games that you can possibly play. There is nothing better than sitting down and playing something like that for 8 hours straight, getting constantly destroyed until you figure shit out. Getting sent all the way back to the beginning kinda fucks this up for me. Actually discourages me from playing the game until I beat it. Unless I can find more lives, of course.

Not an argument
You were a (1) yourself before you did your non-correction that just messed up stuff even further
Anyone trying to read your nonsense
No one talked about reddit, go back there if you love it so much

mongoloid "Also" means you are appending in addition too something previously stated. Which means you are a fucking retard bitching about Grammar while making a grammatical error yourself on a anonymous Taiwanese image-board. Please fuck yourself right on back to reddit where that pretentious grammar nazi bullshit shit is welcomed fag.
lurk more newfag