Only the good die young

If you could make one multiplayer game popular (again?), which one would it be?
Discuss your favorite dead online games.

Air brawl was just so slick and controlled so well. I wish more slight sims took a quicker, deathmatch focused, route to combat and engages and being good at flying was so rewarding with the nitty-gritty maps.

do people do reverse ctf/assault anymore? none of that asymmetrical gay shit like cs

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.
Felt like a slower paced TF2, which wasn't a bad thing. I miss it, a lot of good times were had.

Game night when?

NOW

R.I.P.

Exsteel

I was just thinking about Fur Fighters earlier.
Had a lot of nice lan matches at school before the computer lab teacher sold the game.

This. Port it to pc, add online, keep the mechanic where each menu is relegated to only one player, maybe add voice chat aswell.

God, it's been forever since I've seen that. There is still a 6v6 scene for it, iirc.

Custom Edition on PC.

As is now the custom map servers are dead and it's mostly populated by spics with 300 ping that play on HPC tier modded servers with shit like "flying warthogs".

Even then the few custom map servers out there that see use end up having a ton of useless scripts stuck on them that get annoying to play on due to them doing shit like disabling fall damage, infinite greandes, weapons with infinite ammo

just fuck I miss being able to go from Diesel's 24/7 Yoyorast island server to something like Realworld's and if I felt like stalemates the banfree 24/7 snowgrove server. then you had shit like bunghole, the hiveand other servers that are now long dead.

I know what you mean. Most older games with small player bases fall into a thing where all the popular community servers are gimmicky bullshit or nothing but the worst maps in the game. (i.e. any source game made before dota2/csgo)

rip
Also CT spies vs mercs

Well the appeal of Halo Custom Edition was it was a version of HPC that supported custom content. so pretty much the major servers were custom content ones. the maps ranging to really well done to gimmicky bullshit that was fun in small doses.

Now HCE's server list is 97% stock map servers, most of them running gimmicky bullshit you'd see on HPC "sniper shoots infinite rapid fire" and other crap. These servers are run and populated by spics who can't play any other way. Whats worse is I watched the communiy die. just one day it kinda started dying out

I had more fun with than C&C Renegade than Battlefield 1942. I did try the fan remake Renegade X which did a pretty good job recreating the original multiplayer but there's only one active server and it's always full. At least it had bots.

Good times.

Battlefield 1942

Because why shouldn't some idiot be able to drive the aircraft carrier right into the enemy airbase?

Wildstar since I never got a chance to play it and it looks like it's the only decent MMORPG ever made.

Strike Vector

tfw i was apart of the modding community as it entered its twilight years and begun to die out. I missed the golden age by about a year but it was still pretty strong. Fuck I miss HCE and the modding community it had.

baserace when

we (Holla Forums) played it in 2015, picked at ~20-30 players.

Cool physics that lets anything stand on anything (including vehicles).

Nice cannon fodder NPCs, tho a bit aimbot'ish.

Now it's dead forever.

Jedi Academy

Fuck you OP I didnt want those feels

Feels?
I'LL GIVE YOU A WHOLE CITY OF Heroes

I keep buying these games in hopes of them being reborn at one point, but they just stay dead.
Strike Vector EX has 6 players right now and whenever I check it, it's dead.
Mean Greens barely has enough to populate a server.
SkyDrift is as dead as my dog from 1993.
And so on and so forth. Only games that aren't dead as shit are the ones completely infested with normalfags like "Counter Strike: 64 Tick", "Battlefield: I can't believe it's not Call of Duty", and "Zombies aren't the biggest threat" game #231231422

I have air brawl. It's a shame it died so fast. The dev priced it too high for an indie multiplayer-only game.

S4 League.

Halo maps is still running, but it's a shadow of itself. Dennis is too busy with other shit to upload bloodgulch mod #3576 some spic made in 5 seconds in sapien.

I think the worse bit is that the Halo community by and large is filled with idiots who don't want HCE or even Project Cartographer. Even when CE has SAPP which now has a plugin that can emulate LAN latency pretty well. and PC removes GFWL and is trying to rework the H2EK.

But none of that matters to like 98% of the Halo community because it's not on steam or Halo 1 is "too old"

operation flashpoint

at least CSS has a good surf server that almost gets filled to the brim at times

A question that needs to be asked. Why do these game die, what is the common factor/s? High price? No early free trail? Lack of advertising? Not being original enough? No single player content and being multiplayer only? Too many people sticking to previous multiplayer games?

mount and blade

DEFEND THE ENEMY SHAZBOT IM IN POSITION.

[VGS]

One day Sega will be forced to do a PC port

RIP in tip.

JUST

How do you know if a game was good or if you are nostalgia tripping? I remember SOCOM 2 being an absolute blast.

The franchise is dead cuz muhmuhmuh FFXV

Gang Bang Garrison 2 is the game that no other indie faggot will achieve.

WoW
And no, not the abortion that is modern WoW, I wish pre-cataclysm WoW was popular again.

Vanilla servers are pretty alive dude. I don't recommend playing them.

With the influx of quirky multiplayer FPS these days I feel like you could release almost a carbon copy of Shattered Horizons and it would do amazing. It probably wouldn't have amazing staying power since it had like four or five maps and not a ton of depth but the core gameplay was good enough that if you added just a few little things like maybe terrain destruction or the like I think it would last at least as long as Tribes Ascend did. After all it's not like it died due to any problems with the actual game, the devs just put it out when almost nobody's computers could play it and by the time people could they had decided to pull it from the market.

Moonbase Alpha
Also can't make it work on my PC, for some reason there is simply no sound.

UT2004
I miss the modding heyday. Buying that game was worth 20 other games due to all the shit you could do with it

Tribes 2

Here you go.

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO REMIND ME

None, because non-local multiplayer is garbage.

Anarchy Reigns needs a PC port really bad.

There's probably still a playerbase somewhere, but maybe PC could be what they need. Also they need to do more marketing, the game was almost dead on arrival. I've only heard about the game like 2 weeks before the western release. Enjoyed everybit and everymatch.

Those games are problematic nowadays, it's time move on, guys.

They completely fucked balance and went full P2W.

Anarchy Reigns was awesome. I think it died both for lack of advertising and lack of any local play; if people were able to play this split screen it'd certainly soften the blow on advertisement.

I'd like to bring back all those great Battlefield 2 mods that myself and few other people enjoyed before they died a pathetic death. Eve of Destruction 2 was the most depressing and frustrating of them all. But if I had to pick just one I would revive the best mod, Point of Existence 2. Fuck Project Reality.

Go fuck yourselves with a rake, Arc System Works.

Wait, what? The last time I played, granted about a year ago now, there were plenty of completely full servers. What's happened to it? God damn I have so many memories of playing that with my brother years ago, please don't tell me it's dead.

user…

Too good for this gay earth

Omg…patrician taste Sir.

Ups forgot mine.

None of them, multiplayer is a cancer upon video games.