What do you think of Jets'n'guns? (It is clearly inspired by tyrian BTW.)

What do you think of Jets'n'guns? (It is clearly inspired by tyrian BTW.)

Sick OST.

It's good. The generic name and generic but serviceable CG don't help it be memorable, though.

The only shmup I genuinely enjoyed because of all customization you can do.
Also music.
Also gore.
Also hacking mini game.
Also endless NG+ loop.
Also edgy early 2000s black humour.
It's a 10/10 game doing what it does perfectly.

Euroshmup trash enjoyed only by people who don't actually play shmups, like what Skyrim is to RPGs.

Genuinely enjoyed it. Got me to look into Machinae Supremacy, which is extremely hit or miss with me, but when they hit, man do they hit.

Shame they're such edgy anarchists that sometimes I wonder if they're putting us on and it's all a big joke.

Also, not the best vocalist.

Love the music, humor is nice, gameplay is acceptable. I really like the design of the "main" ship. Wish there were more shmups that were less about autistic scoring and more about the adventure.

it looks shit

i only know this game because of some stepfiles i played in stepmania, is it good?

Yes it's fucking good, pirate it already.

There are difficulty modes as well as some broken post-end game gear.
Starting off right on hard will crush your balls probably, but on NG+++~ everything will just melt before having a chance to one shot you.

Because trying to get good consistently at shumps is pretty hard for me at least.

I mean if you're tohofag this game might be not for you. I guess it is specifically for those who find japanese score attack shmups pointless.
Like me.
Starting on easy will get you a pretty smooth ride.

Reminder that difficulty becomes meaningless once you get your hands on an hexagun, even the nerfs couldn't stop that thing, it's just made out of rape.

Yeah I mentioned NG+ being easy if using broken shit.

Hexagun isn't really NG+ though

I vaguely remember on my first playthrough something preventing me using overpowered guns too much. Was it heat management? Or maybe I just didn't try that specific one out, it was like 10 years ago.

Most other guns are too heat expensive to use with non NG+ crafts but the Hexagun is just that broken that you can just put one on your craft and it won't overheat ever and you'll still rape everything, and that's with the nerfs the steam version has.

Heh.

Hexgun is shit because it doesn't cover enough space on the screen for it to be the laziest strategy which really shows on hardmode for example where enemies have too much HP to be able to slip through, sometimes unscathed when you are busy focusing the ones that just won't die.

i pirated it thanks to this thread and it's fun but holy fuck those hitboxes suck fucking mega-ass. the amount of times you'll die because you think you've dodged something but lol nope is obscene

There are guns with better DPS and there are guns that have more screen coverage but you're still shitting on a third of the screen with full penetration and you can clear hardmode easily with a single hexagun as your sole weapon, you can't really do that with most other weapon.
Most of the guns that are more powerful tend to have worse coverage.
You can also have pic related as your setup early into loop 2 and pretty much never have to adjust it much outside of a couple levels, and basically never have to worry about anything ever since you can fire indefinitely and things die before they can even do anything.

forgot pic

I call bullshit on this one. Especially coupled with this

You are likely either playing on normal or missing most of the enemies.

I retract my statement a bit, with my current dough on 1st loop on the save I left off hexgun does have enough dps, but as I've said enemies are able to slip through the cracks(because of it's burst nature) which is unacceptable.

Now tsunami generator is the main star of that pic.

It's pretty amazing, music is exceptional of course but the gameplay is great too. Rake in Grass actually has some other pretty good games too, Rampage Knights is a fun beat em up roguelite, Larva Mortus is a pretty basic game but it was worth the $1 I paid for it on sale, and Archibald's Adventures has some good music though it's just a casual puzzle game. They also announced that they're making Jets n Guns 2 with Machinae Supremacy a while ago.

The vocals aren't the greatest, but I think they've got a weird charm to them. Also, Rise of a Digital Nation and Phantom Shadow were complete asses of albums, but Into the Night World was a small step up. Still doesn't compare to their older stuff, but hey.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:74186FD29D11CE83CB9F0551056F5FFC0729FF91&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fbt4.t-ru.org%2Fann%3Fmagnet&dn=Jets'n'Guns%20Gold%20%5BP%5D%20%5BENG%5D%20(2006)%20(1.308.ST)

I wasn't really impressed by Into the Night World, but I suppose it needs repeated listening, same as previous albums.

Went to their concert in 2014, it was nice to see and hear them live.

Looks like it could use more dakka if you ask me.

Great soundtrack, mediocre design. I would elevate it above a lot of much worse Euroshmups like Tyrian (which is complete fucking horseshit), but at the end of the day it still has a very unbalanced shop and weapon system and a few instances of some lame, unfair level design. Jets 'n' Guns Gold fixed it up a fair bit but not enough.

Ultimately, something they could never fix no matter how many revisions of the game they did, was the fundamental misunderstanding of how scoring systems work.

I don't see what's wrong with it other than random drops making an optimal score hard/impossible to achieve or not having a level select if you really want to grind individual levels.

I wonder if Machinae Supremacy is doing the soundtrack for J'n'G2. It's going to determine whether I buy it or not.

Because that's not the point of score. The point of score is that it's supposed to be measure of how skilled you are at a game. It's a way to incentivize replaying with a goal of superior performance by giving a number value to how well you have done.

The way money works in the system they have in place is that you play one level well to make the next level easier. It doesn't function as score at all, and it results in uneven, artificial demands of player skill from level to level. Now of course you could argue that instead part of the gameplay is the "strategy" of deciding which equipment to use, but that only has so much depth and evaporates the moment you finish experimenting with all the things you can buy. It just doesn't work that well, I'm not sure a linear action game with a shop has ever managed to really make it work well (Gun*Nac, Lords of Thunder perhaps? I'm not sure), and I'm beginning to wonder if it even can work well.

You'd think they would have learned to tone down the obnoxious, obscuring weapons effects from the last game, but instead they appear to have made them even worse.

That's going to be true of any game with an upgrade system. A level in DMC is going to be easier if you have all your upgrades and it'll be easier to get an S rank in. Doesn't mean the ranking system is suddenly terrible, though.

Not sure how ranking works in DMC, but the way it works in Jets 'n' Guns and other games of its sort is that you wipe your rank every time you buy a ship part, making it next to impossible to really gauge accurately how good you are by the end of the game. It's just not a good idea to combine currency with score/measures of player skill.

Checked it out, this is a lot of fun so far. I like those cheesy portraits you can select on your thing at the start.

Indeed. Not their best work, but it's far better than Rise and Phantom Shadow. I'll say in PS' defense that it has a few decent songs, but the problem is that there's too few "standalone" songs in it. I feel like I need to listen to the entire album in one sitting for it to not sound like crap, where you can pull just about any song from Night World and it'll be fine.

Machinae Supremecy is great until their lead singer opens his mouth. I can think of no better example of vocals shitting up what is otherwise good instrumental music.

Moustache skeleton is undeniably the best.