Do you play beat em up games, Holla Forums?

Do you play beat em up games, Holla Forums?

Playing Streets of Rage 2 alot, and I can reliably get to Stage 7 now at least.

Cool. Sega did a good job on that series.

Never really was too keen on beat 'em ups, but I have enjoyed a few. Knights of the Round and those D&D ones on the arcade are bretty gud.

I've played a few, some suck, some are great but I heard there's even greater options.

They all feel exactly the same to me just with slightly different graphics.

Same thing happened to a lesser degree with revenge of shinobi and shinobi 3.

Dragon's crown 2 when? Go pc and AO version this time.

because it is
they didn't add dashing until the third one and even then its slow. Enemies can and will literally run circles around you.

My favorite beat em up has to be MK: Shaolin monks.

it was one of a kind. I don't think we'll get another like that.

My favorite kind of game, I suppose. Anymore, it's hard to get a co-op beatemup run going.

Co-op games I had fun with when they were new:
River City Ransom
Streets of Rage (1, 2, and 3)
TMNT the Arcade Game (Arcade and NES)
TMNT: Turtles in Time (SNES and arcade)
Brawl Brothers & Peacekeepers
Final Fight 2 & 3

I have little respect for the genre. Roughly on the same level as JRPGs and "roguelikes" imo.

I liked Urban Reign because it played like Dynamite Cop, Tekken, and Soul Calibur.

Interesting, never heard of that one before.
THE BACKLOG GROWS

No love for the 8-bit Goemon belt scrollers?

Last one I played was Dragon's Crown. Shockingly enough there were still people online.

Lately I've been really into Charlie Murder, myself. Got a nice aesthetic, the level variety is great, and I feel like the spell options really reward co-op in a way I haven't seen other beat-em-ups do.

If I had one complaint, really, it would be with the RPG mechanics, and most especially with the loot drop numbers game. "Oh, do I take this item with one stat higher than the other, or this item with the other stat higher?" It's dumb.

Is there anything like classic RCR that isn't in that series? Those games have more character and awareness than all wannabe modern retro-style pixeshits. About the only else I can think of are the Goemon games.

Isn't Metal Max an RPG?

You're gonna have to be a little more specific with what you want. Double Dragon? Scott Pilgrim? What are you looking for when you say "character and awareness"?

Capcom in the 90s had the best beat em ups

Well you know how River City and Goemon are, they're a bit silly and almost meta at times. There's something about RCR that feels like it was dropped off by someone from a future gen with some hindsight, kind of like Takeshi's Challenge.

I guess DD Neon would sort of fit, I never played Scott Pilgrim so maybe I should.

UPGRADED

I'll be trying it on Hardest, but the revamped enemy placement is giving me headaches

Maybe give Charlie Murder or Castle Crashers a try.

Beat em ups are fun games, Instant coop games thats easy to pickup n play.
Has cool modes like beating up each other or beating up a car.
Easily replayable with buddies.
Same with metal slug x

This thread reminded me that I should finally get to play Dragon's Crown.

The juden AI is blacklisting most intolerant users on youtube.

I never got the appeal. Doesn't feel like there's much in the way of depth to them outside of basics like positioning.

A beat 'em up made by the people who made Def Jam? That actually looks amazing.

Does Battletoads count?

>tfw made it to the Dark Queen without getting a game over or warping
>tfw died on the last boss before I could claim victory
FUCK