Favorite Game and Why?

What's your favorite video game, and why? Also, shit on eachothers' favorite video games.

I don't have a flat-out favorite, but I've got a lot of contenders.
>Battle for Bikini Bottom, still gets a laugh out of me when I go through it and was back when the show was worth a damn. Surprisingly solid for a licensed THQ game; back when licensed games had to be good.
>Spelunky, fantastic little Game Maker game turned soulless XBLA title. The XBLA/HD/Steam/GoG version gets a lot better once you've replaced the music with the Game Maker version's tunes.

I only just finished it, but Crypt of the Necrodancer might get my vote. It had the perfect level of skill advacement, only ever getting stuck on the last level, but one you get past the final level the last boss fights are easy enough that you beat them on your first try without making it seem menial.

lol

I've heard good things about that game but never actually given it a look-see, what's it all about?

My favorite is SaGa Frontier, it is timeless to me, can not play it for a few years and get hooked once more. It's got depth at every level.
I've not played any of OP's contenders.

It's actually hard to describe, because it's a rouge-like rhythm and dance dungeon crawler. You and all the enemies can only move ON THE BEAT of the song. So it's kind of a turn based tactics game except you HAVE to take a turn ever 1/3 of a second. There's only 4 levels to the game They made a dlc that's in early access, not counting that in this post and each one has a nice escalation of both enemy complexity and music tempo. First level has enemies that only move every other beat, or on every beat, with predictable move patterns. By the final level you have enemies that jump two spaces, dig holes in walls to open up areas with new enemies, enemies that teleport you, make you move commands opposite of the inputs and a FUCKton of other stuff. It's a FANTASTIC arcade-esque challenge. I spent 12 hours playing the game to beat it. 7-9 of the hours were spent on the first 4 levels, while the rest was figuring out only the last level. It's fucking amazing and I absolutely recommend buying it, not just pirating it.

Unironically PSO2.

I just dont like giving money to leftist devs, though the game is so good i made the one exception.

You play as a tranny with one of the characters.

Fuck

Considering that I've played the entire game, and every character's backstory begins and ends with only their name, you're full of shit.

It's the black one I know that much. One of the devs announced it on their twitter.

Is it a tranny or a hermaphrodite?

Somewhere in the deepest crevascees of the internet, one of the the developers, who was only in charge of the art and nothing else, at one point mentioned that a minor character, playable only by unlocking a character that unlocks the character, mentioned that said character was "genderqueer." Obviously the game is completely corrupted and has no value despite being on of the most fun games to come out in the past 10 years.

To clarify, by in translated-SJW terms, "Genderqueer" is just someone that can't decide if they're a faggot or not. Has nothing to do with being a tranny.

Some faggot asked if the character was a tranny and the dev basically confirmed it. I only know this because of an image that confirmed it.

Don't throw a fit because I'm stating a fact. I'm not saying anything towards the game being good or not. If I could find the image I'de post it but don't pretend that if you forced an answer out of any of the devs about it that they would say it wasn't a tranny.

Yeah that's pretty much it, to my memory "genderqueer" plays along into that new-age gender identity bit and is the go-to for dopes that want to fall into it, but haven't actually found or made up something they want to pretend to be on the internet.

You'd be better off trying to find the original Twitter post or whatever it was than you would be trying to find the original image or going off of hazy memories of it. Either way if it's not present in the game itself then it effectively has no bearing on it, would be roughly akin to George Broussard or one of the other developers of Duke Nukem saying he was a closeted homosexual this whole time and expecting everyone to treat it as gospel.

>those comfy ass aesthetics
>comfy fishing and farming
>you end up fucking everyone over in the end

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri's my favorite. You can really tell that quite some intelligent people put a lot of love into this game and it shows really well - both within the game and the tie-ins such as the GURPS book. I own all of those, and I still find myself reading them, immersing myself in the lore. Hell, I still have the original boxes/CDs from way back.

I can recite plenty of the game's quotes from memory, particularly this one that had stood with me ever since I heard it for the first time at release:

These days, it feels like we're even re-enacting its backstory, but I highly doubt we'd come together to create our own Unity Project.

Sure, there's other games I've enjoyed, but SMAC is the foremost among them. I wish there were more games - hell, more media in general like it.

My favorite game is starcraft broodwar.

I spent 20 minutes looking and couldn't find it. Believe it or not twitter screencaps aren't that easy to find on google, especially when the image was posted on a site that deletes them when threads prune. I'm not lying though and I'm positive it was said by one of the developers who worked on the game. I'm sure somebody has the image though.
The bearing is knowing you're playing as a tranny. If that doesn't upset you fine but now if you can look at pic related and not see which one was meant to appeal to the tumblr demographic I'de call you retarded. I'de find it hard to believe the character wasn't intended to be a tranny or some other shit.
If he said that day of release of the original franchise it wouldn't matter because the industry wasn't as fucking cancerous as it is today. It's virtue signaling and it's the shit that's been pissing people off for a while now. I can't blame somebody for pirating the game because of that.

Southern Space Wars is rather fun.

They really fucked up everything about SC with SC2. None of that Southern feel was there anymore. Just WoW.

The fishing, farming, and combat are all torture. I love the fuck out of Nier enough to do every side quest, but that game has some huge fucking flaws and you're delusional to think they're the opposite. There are no changes to keep the game fresh either, so I don't know where you pulled that from.

They really game designed themselves into a corner, re balancing everything from BW (that was already balanced on a razor edge) to work with SC2's wider audience mechanics.

I really wanted to like SC2, it's just not as good. Even though it was financially successful, i'm glad Korea didn't like it, and despite the money that was enough to get blizzard to appeal to them.

You're not going to fund a fucking leftist coup. Just admit that you're cheap, nothing wrong with piracy. You don't have to take some moral high ground. And if such games were truly propaganda or anything of the sort, why do you even bother touching it? Let's not forget that video game development is not a conservative occupation which means it's no surprise it's not full of of conservatives either.

I dont pirate out of paranoia. The only thing ive ever pirated was shovel knight because i bought it on console and wanted it on pc. I dont play leftist shit or give money to leftists.

Which you wouldn't know at all and would assume to be a female with a goofy haircut if you took the game and solely the game into account, from what I've taken out of this thread. Saw the picture and noted the one you were talking about immediately (brown one middle-top) but given it's drawn and depicted as a normal woman in spite of the goofy lesbian-combover hairstyle and bizarrely caucasoid features for a skin-color that dark, I'd leap sooner to "token lesbian" than I would "tranny". Seems like one of those situations where the character was clearly not designed as a transsexual (wouldn't make sense in-setting, nothing of body structure reflects it, myriad other reasons) but one of the developers is trying to word-of-god it.

Yeah, but keep in mind that the character clearly outs themselves as a tranny with their 3 lines of dialogue in the game, "Hey" "Heya" and "Hi"

Imagine how hard it would have been for said leftists to keep their shitty opinions off of twitter. Except not at all.

It's a black person with a purple haircut. If you see lesbian in there you're not really well informed on the stereotype for them. The hair would have to be cut short or something. And as I said before the chances that it was intended to be a lesbian over a tranny are slim given the information on the twitter. If you have evidence contrary to your perception of it pleas post it. It's likely that was the person who created the character who confimred this one twitter anyway. In any case it's a shit design in general. And again you can't necessarily deny that it wouldn't have been made if the person who made it wasn't trying to reach a demographic, instead of having a unique vision. Basically the game is made worse by this. Likely not enough for most people to not purchase the game, but enough for people who are sick of seeing this shit to decide to pirate it. I happen to like my games with unique looking characters with unique designs. I wouldn't turn one down for not having them. But because it was made with the intent of appealing to a crowd of people who are mentally ill I find a hard time in justifying a purchase from my end.

I can't really narrow it down to one game. Years ago I would've said that's because I like different games for different reasons - and, yes, that still holds - but the games I love most I love because of how well the series as a whole ties its narratives together. The "Trails" series are my favorite video games. I love the music, I love the characters, I love the worldbuilding, I love the gameplay, and I love how (barring some moments in the later games) how much the series respects your emotions, and WORKS to EARN the emotional responses it tries to wrangle from you.

The ending to Trails in the Sky - the 3rd felt so personal because it was after nearly 200 hours of RPGs. You knew these characters, their loves, their hopes, their fears, what made them who they are. You've seen their interactions and relationships between each other grow, and the developers knew it. They were able to make what would've been a cheesy scene at the end of the game and make it feel down to earth and earnest because it was. The game didn't need to tell you WHY characters felt the ways they did, they didn't need to justify that scene, because like any real group of friends - or, one could say family - it would be weird to NOT see them react the way they do.

God I fucking love Trails.

You're judging an entire game because the artist they hired for their game made a single twitter post about one character. If I did some digging and found that one of the caterers for your favorite movie had an employee who wore a rainbow shirt onto the set of your favorite movie, would you boycott that as well?

I'm led to believe it's a tranny based on the developers intentions to address it as a tranny and have a horrible looking character that looks like a tranny. Also post where the artist said otherwise about preferring pronouns as if there were more than 2. That in itself is almost worse.
No I'm judging that aspect of the game. Read my posts.
If they put the rainbow shirt in the movie and it was blatantly LGBT and it was in a scene where it made no sense I would probably pirate it. Your basic example isn't comparable because it's not in the finished work. Either way I don't support virtue signaling in my entertainment so it would get a pirate from me. If you don't agree then disagree. It doesn't hurt me either way.

Pros:

Cons:
>The censorship incident

Pic 2 and 3 are my mains.

It's an endless grind of the same shit that gets boring once you reach lvl 50+

sorry dude but skullgirls is mediocre at best
also valentine is middle tier, sadly. She's the most fun to combo with.

Don't really care, i'm still going to play and enjoy it (and her). But I get it, it's an acquired taste and the shit spewed from Lab Zero and Mike doesn't help (his mini freakout just after Trump won was embarrassing).

I'm not trying to convince you or anyone to play. OP asked so I answered.

Those are some truthful trips.

As late as it was into the SNES' life, I still got the most enjoyment out of Yoshi's Island, especially 100%ing it.

No games, only despair

Came to this realisation after losing a dozen splatoon matches in a row. Fuck me its an annoying game between the comm errors, lag and unbalanced match ups

Ocarina of Time
Because I completely agree with the general consensus among game journalists that it is the 'greatest game ever' and it was my favorite game long before I knew it even had that title

nice trips btw.

You've literally got it backwards
Zero 2>1>3>4

People keep bringing up the mechs like they're a game feature but they're only usable during specific EQs, making them not worth mentioning.
Also, that entire post has way too many adjectives in it and it reads like a marketing pitch. Unironically kill yourself.

There is no grind if you play for the story, like you would a single player game.
Also what's wrong with skimpy outfits? Are you homosexual?

I guess mechs in EDF and LP are not worth mentioning as well.

I sure am paid shill hired by sega of japan to advertise their 5 years old free game on an anonymous image board run by paid shill hired by nintendo.
No doubt.

It's fun, cozy and simple.

Especially if I can include mods. Call of Misery for the ultimate depressing but also comfy survival experience.

Devil Daggers
>very tightly designed, everything unnecessary is cut out and messing with the core would mess up the whole game

Can you even use HD Models and texture mods from CoC in CoM?
I can't play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. without the HD Models Addon and the CoCk Texture Pack.
I also love Smurth's Dynamic Hud and I playing without it would also suck.
Have you tried any of these yet?
Can you try them out for me?

Can you fill in the details for me, user? What happened there?

So should I just play a modded CoP rather than SoC?

Yes.
Call of Pripyat is the best game in the franchise, and it has the most (and best) mods available. Call of Chernobyl for example makes it the absolute best survival wasteland-like game, especially if you install the dozens of addons.

Actually Dwarf Fortress.

I can always turn to it and have fun. I can do stupid shit and build an entire fortress on that stupid shit. It's a game I've been playing for years, and it never ceases to entertain me. No two games play quite the same.

Nothing can quite capture that feeling of generating a new world and starting on a fresh embark by some waterfall in the wilderness.

fucking amazing h-scenes, and a huge fucking number of them

If I had to pick one, and only one. I'd have to say Timesplitters 2.
The only bad part I can honestly think of is the shit aiming system which is essentially a copy of Goldeneye. But that's easily remedied by playing it on an emulator with a keyboard and mouse.

I think anyone who wants to develop an action game should be required to play Devil Daggers first so they can learn the importance of good audio cues. Only complaint I'd have there is that, even with HRTF on, there isn't a lot of positional clarity in the audio, but that's probably more the fault of my shitty earbuds than of the game.

Spire never ever hopefully this year?

I know it's Holla Forumscore as fuck, but any chance to endorse Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines should be taken.
Now for the why:

And I'd be remiss not to mention the bad along with the good:

I'm the same as OP, I have several.

There's something about the music, the environments and the skyboxes that are just very comfortable to me.
Do I really have to tell Holla Forums why it's so good?
Like Manhunt, I love the mood it sets and the story it tells. The fact it relies more on stealth and surprise rather than mere run and gun is also deeply enjoyable.
This game inspired my love for 50s B-films, though sadly I have not found the film yet that does the game justice.
I loved Doom 1, but hated the smaller map sizes and body count.
I love the humor, the neon gothic atmosphere, and the Half-Life style gameplay
Even after using freecam to follow him around, the mystery of the G-Man still nags endlessly on my mind
I know, I know, it was supposed to be open world. But walking through beautiful mountains is super comfy, even when the Taken are after you. Firewatch? Not so much, didn't do it for me anywhere near like AW did.
It's Skyrim but good. It's also better than any 3D castlevania game, and is the Van Helsing game we deserved
Driving down every single road to turn them blue on the GPS is intensely satisfying. Also the streetlights at night on the long highways are very comfy.
Hey look, Bethesda made a good game! It's the Kill Bill game we never got, and Rubi vision is one of the coolest looking things in vidya. It's a shame the whole game wasn't in it.
It's realMYST but not a laggy piece of shit.

Really? I'll have to give it another shot, I got turned off by how illegible the written documents are on low resolutions.

Well there's your problem right there

I'm just waiting for someone to say Metal Gear Solid or Fallout so I can point out how retarded they are.

Metal Gear Solid

Fallout 4

I already exceed the minimum requirements and I'm not upgrading for one game.

A–

not a bad choice, if you can hack together enough mods for it

THAT'S IT
=>This'll totally be the last one gaise xD==
It's the greatest fuck up in all of gaming history. If Cuckjima really was as good as people said he was, this all just might have been a performance art stunt to show how fucking retarded people can be.
Making a separate post for Fagout.

wew

close call between this and chamber of secrets

Now then
I really wouldn't have a problem with this series.
But it's the most overrated series in the world, even niggers here enjoy 1,2, and New Vegas.
Just kidding Todd and Bethesda still made a really retarded game that condensed the entire series even more.
But at least they pissed off the fanbase and creators of the other games. and that's more than any one can ask for.
To this day Bucksidian and their legion of cuckolds are still weeping in pain at Fallout 4, never remembering that
Fagout was never a proper rpg. Dumbasses.

Why are you calling yourself out on being bait?
Only an idiot would disagree with everything I just said.
>>>/facebook/

Yoshi's Island is arguably the best 2D platformer ever made.

stupid.

Toss up between these two. Half-Life I will play through at least once a year as a ritual because I enjoy it so much. Pikmin is a game I play a lot if I feel shitty, it's real comfy and just feels so original in execution.

Pikmin

Half-Life / OpFor

4 > 2 > 3 > 1, why 1 had no copy feature whatsoever is beyond me and while the weakest of the bunch it's still good. 3 sucked on a lot of fronts, I thought, though its music was great. It felt phoned in in the same way X5 felt phoned in, which I guess makes sense when taken into consideration that it was the second time Inafune tried ending a series on a climactic note with horrid boss AI and trying to bring things to a head for a series within the span of one game.

Are you sure?

Maybe when it came out, but I can name a few since then that I'd say are better. this comes to mind, also Halo: CE, and Timesplitters 2 & 3 just to name a few.

kill yourself

You can really tell the average user here is under 25 by looking at this thread.

Please tell us what games are acceptable to enjoy, o' aged and wise one.

Millenials, everyone.

Are you afraid of being bullied?

I still have my copy of this game. I think it's a pretty good and, dare I say, underrated title. Soundtrack is pretty solid also. I've been playing it now and then in between EDoTW and SMAC.

Nah, he's just saying you have shit taste, which you do

with the exception of doom II the rest are pleb

How would you know, anyway? I haven't talked about any of my favorite games in this thread.

I was actually mocking you for snorting at people for discussing their favorite games while refusing to mention your own. Being able to pick up on these things is a sign of autism. Have you been tested?

Never had a favorite game for a while, but a few months ago I found it. Very fun, very accessible, difficult as fuck to master.

No need to pretend when you've already got the real thing down pat. Your posts are like macaroni pictures in Holla Forums form.

It's between these two for me and for a bunch of similar reasons.

Obviously they're very, very different, those are just a few boxes that both games ticked for me. My favourite thing about Medievil is the complexity of its level design and the exploration that comes with that, whereas my favourite part about TW101 is the depth and uniqueness of its combat.

A bunch of other close contenders for me are Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Jedi Academy, DMC3 though DMC4 isn't far behind and I've probably played it more than 3, Super Metroid and Yakuza 0.

I haven't seen a macaroni picture in a long time, but I assume you must make them pretty often with the other kids in your class.

I've seen stronger bantz from women. This is just going to be yet another situation in your life where you will look back and think to yourself, "Shit, I should have said this, this, or this."

I'm not seeing any video games from you, user.

Skyrim. Big world, infinite quests, awesome weapons and combat. Also you get to ride dragons!

You were blocked for having shitty opinions before, weren't you?

Todd can't let it slip he's among us.

I'd agree with you except I cannot forgive Konami for Silent Hill Pachinko and Pyramid Head in Bomberman

Silent Hill 2. It was the one piece of media that really got me into the horror genre when I was around 14 or so. Everything about it was something I really cherished, and to this day I still think it's the best horror game ever made.

what do you mean?

I quite like Daggerfall. There's something about having to fine-tune and consider every aspect of a character in a role-playing game that appeals to me. Sure, it's a buggy game, and its NPC interaction is arguably broken on a fundamental level, but the ability to focus on optimizing your character makes it stand out from other RPGs in my opinion. There's a trend in which RPGs either focus on optimizing your character for interacting with other characters or for interacting with enemies, but developing a character for the sake of the character is a thing that Daggerfall is very good at.

I mean, it's a game in which running and jumping are skills to be developed rather than intrinsic properties of humans with certain attributes, as is social standing within the lower and middle classes, and by that measurement alone it is more realistic than any other role-playing game I've experienced thus far. For that reason alone it deserves to be my favorite game without question, but when you couple that with how enjoyable it is to actually interact with the in-game world (if you're man enough to look past the bugs that sometimes slip through the cracks) it creates quite an enjoyable experience.

Some people talk about old-shcool RPGs and they think of Final Fantasy, but when I think of old-school I think about the days when playing a character actually meant something beyond projecting your own personality onto an abstract homonculus. A day when it meant challenging yourself to see the world through someone elses' eyes. In my opinion, Daggerfall excels at that, and I welcome any criticisms of the game that are sure to come my way because it creates an experience unmatched by any RPG that has come my way thus far.

And before anyone mentions it, yes I am aware of Ultima, and it has been on my to-play list for quite some time, but unfortunately its age makes it rather inconvenient to run on modern hardware, so there's a logistics problem involved.

Could you actually enlighten me as to why deadly premonition is good? I considered getting it recently.

I have no favorite game, just games that I really like.

Dead Rising 1.

It's just comfy as hell for me, I never feel bored despite how the game can be repetitive, and I thought the story was serious enough to be interesting, but goofy enough to be fun. It is for me the perfect zombie game, which is why the shittiness of the sequels disappoints me so.

Good taste, though I prefer the first one as a more cohesive experience. VJ2 is fantastic if you restrict your use of the partner-character (be it Joe or Sylvia) to just the necessary puzzles though, otherwise it can get agitating trying to worm around tagging between characters.

Okay?

And yes visual replacements work fine with it, I use Structures Redux, note than AN redux will make it look wacky and patchy because the CoM devs seem to have made outside areas ground and plant textures less monolithic so you'll end up with a patchwork of different colours.

It's a good platformer, i think Klanoa 1 is the best 2d platformer. (even though it's kind of 2.5d.

all games are shit tbh

Legend of Dragoon will probably always remain my favorite, but I really like Far Cry 2.

Great game.

The original ost wasn't even that good.

I was pretty sad when I found out I couldn't run this because of crashes

It used to be a better game for screwing around, but now it's all in on short and unbalanced matches.

Only people dumb enough to get into competitive TF2 have more than 2k hours on that game, how right I am?

Jesus christ man, even if your taste is that shit at least respect yourself enough to be embarrassed about it and not bring it up.

Customizable and craftable weapons and armor
Lots of enemy types
A good enough plot
Competent localization
Battle system that allows you to technically kill anything in 1-hit (via sorta QTE combos until enemy dies)

Lots of ways to solve quests
Good story
Build your own character
qt3.14 waifu
Decisions have consequences

fun shooting game
customizable character skills and specialization
personally like the style/art/theme/setting
large enough maps

Can I have a source on that?

It's probably the best MMO I've played but not even remotely my favourite game.

Only good one was new vegas, even that wasn't that good, the DLC is the only thing that saved it for me. The more overrated series is the Elder Scrolls, none of the games were ever good.

I dunno why, I just love it.

same, im trying to find a new game to get into but just can't

It's not just the best in the Mario series, one of the best on the SNES, but I sincerely believe Yoshi's Island represents Nintendo's creative apex.

Kirby Air Ride, Melee, and Paper Mario: TTYD have all come close, but none of those were developed internally. In the meantime, they've released some absolute embarrassments like Skyward Sword, Yoshi's New Island, and Mario 3D World, games that are derided by experienced fans but were given a pass by marketing critics and fans that find NES games to be too difficult without the help of save states.

Bloodborne
Lisa
Metal Gear Rising Vengeance
Dota 2
Resident evil 1, 4 and 5
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
System Shock 2
Doom 2
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
Deadbolt
AM2R

-Amnesia: The Dark Descent (loved the story and atmosphere)
-SOMA (same as above)
-Ocarina of Time (Mostly nostalgia, but it's still a great game overall)
-LISA the Painful (loved the setting and story)
- Undertale (not baiting, loved that game before the hype and I still like the story and gameplay despite all the autism)
-TES3: Morrowind (not perfect, graphics aged like milk, but the world is amazing and I like all the possible play styles)

Try again.
Also Unreal does everything you mentioned better.

No More Heroes, tbh. It captures the nihilism and repetition of NEET/hikki life perfectly.
Xenoblade Chronicles is another contender, but i think it'd be a million times better without the fucking trash MMO quest design. Plot's great though

>Undertale (not baiting, loved that game before the hype and I still like the story and gameplay despite all the autism)
Those threads were the comfiest things on the planet and I'm glad they ultimately did die naturally, leaving nothing but memelords and "cuckertale xD" Poopy Joe types behind. Sadly the former occasionally try to start generals long past their expiration date on this board knowing full well nobody wants to see ebin goatbro memes, and the latter's testimonies about anything to do with the game go uncontested because everybody laps up anything that decries a thing as SJW cuck Tumblr LGBT bait, even if a casual glance at the material in question would disprove any notion.

It really did deserve better than what it got. I'm just sad it's been poisoned for so many people that never got to give it a fair chance. Also the furries and degenerates and autistics. Mad about those too.

Deserved better than it got, up to and including Toby manning the helm since he dropped the ball in a lot of places and the writing was slippery everywhere that wasn't the very beginning or very end, if you ask me. Furries and autistics with it were a given the very moment he displayed Toriel, then the rest of the game was ruined when MattPat and streamers picked up on it, and hipstery video game outlets tried forcing it as a "Citizen Kane of gaming". I'd have loved for it to be something beyond the walking simulator it ended up being, or do things with plot elements that were just teased and then never expounded upon– the game itself pontificates on the idear of an already comparatively-monstrous human boosted by boss monster souls instead of the previously-mentioned monster boosted by human souls, presents you two opportunities to do just that, and doesn't allow you to take them in any way, for instance. There's also a Magic menu-item for battles scrapped in the game's spritesheets, which were probably for just that purpose.

I like the art style in this one much better than the two sequels because it has a dark and more realistic art style, which thankfully they brought back in the Vita ones; though the writing quality got much better as the series progresses and as they added a few new features to make collecting all the hidden files easier.

>not liking massive spoilers

If you want to post the "tumblrtale" copypasta just do it and get it over with.

call me a disabled cock sucking midget but i really like new vegas
I've spent 300 fucking hours on that game
yes , i don't have a life

Single player:Boulderdash.
Old, but nearly perfect puzzle game with some really good action elements. Fairly simple mechanics make all the new indie games look like absolute shit. The puzzle designs in the first 6 titles are a masterful show of skill. (Also featuring one of the best fully developed level editors in the 90s).

Multiplayer: Diablo 2.
Insanely good game with 8(12)-player multiplayer mixed lan/internet. Ladder games in Blizz-servers running still today. Endless fun with really punishing/rewarding difficulty scaling per ally player.