Wii softmodding

I am going to break this thing in half.
I've been trying to do this for 3 days straight, I've got 2 PC working for this, 20-something tabs open on each ones' browser, fuckload of different games from different regions, about a dozen different WBFS, backup and ISO loader programs
AND I STILL CAN'T GET THIS FUCKING THING TO LAUNCH A SINGLE GAME!

Been following these instructions:
sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/installation
and
gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-softmod-a-wii-and-play-backup-wii-gamecube-and-wiiware-games.360687/

I've done the mailbomb exploit, installed both bootmii (which doesn't actually boot at all),homebrewchannel, homebrew downloader, USB Loader GX (useless), Wiiflow (better), YAWDD or whatever and nothing fucking works.
The closest I'd ever gotten was by transferring ISO files of Ghost Squad and Twilight Princess onto a USB stick using ncWBFS, opening it up with Wiiflow an that's it. It goes to black screen with GS (then restarts the console and stay on the black screen) and Zeldo just crashes the console. If I try using any region hacks (games are NTSC, console is PAL) it crashes the console.
I've just tried transferring Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles (PAL) with Wii Backup Manager and it's the same shit.
There's no way this shit is supposed to be this convoluted and broken. I had no problem softmodding my PSP, I managed to help my friend figure out how to upload and use games on his newly purchased (pre-softmodded) PS3.
This is bullshit. Is there no simple, working solution? This is like trying to get linux to work on an old laptop, it just doesn't werk.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Browser
sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/usb
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is it safe to say everything up to the installation of the homebrew channel went off correctly? Did you install the cIOS without a hitch?

OP, this is shit. Do you have a place where we can talk in private? I'll just help you live if you'd like.

Since you aren't replying I'll just tell you this
Make a WBFS folder on your drive, literally call it that, make sure the extensions are .wbfs as well, ok good, now you are gonna press one and two in the "GX Loader" program, and you're gonna choose the option that gives you all of your drives, you're gonna choose the drive you have your games in, for example "USB:1" or something like that, always remember to have your USB plugged in into the farther edge behind your wii.

Wii softmodding is literally as simple as it can possibly get
I walked a normalfag friend of mine through it via phonecall and he had no problems

OP, maybe this isn't your thing. Sometimes it's just easier to call it quits and count your losses.

if you're doing it just to play games and don't mind spending money on hardware then just emulate the damn thing.

he already has the hardware, it's better than emulation. he just has to not be retarded tbh

lol

But I've come so far and lost so much.
In the end it doesn't even matter if it's painful, I WANT TO SEE THIS THROUGH.

Sorry, was afk for a minute, do you have an IRC channel we could use?

I have dolphin installed, but it runs like dog shit for some reason.

The USB key I'm using is not recognized by USB Loader GX. It wasn't recognized when it was formatted FAT32 (like now) or NTFS. Pressing 1 opens up the Cover Display dialogue and pressing 2 shows details on the channel I'm currently hovering over. Pressing and holding the together does nothing new, just executes the function of whichever button I happen to hit a milisecond earlier.

I found the Drive select thing in the options menu and when I selected "Both" it just stayed there, I could still hover over the screen and some things looked like they were selectable, but I couldn't change anything or get out of the menu, had to turn off the console completely. After booting it up again, it stayed the same (on 0) and when I try to change it, the exact same thing happens.
I'm gonna go out for about half an hour, in the meantime, you can set up an IRC channel or write up a wall of text of instructions for me to fuck up.

ok, I was out for an hour, sorry about that.
And my post didn't come through for some reason…

fuck I got it to work on Wiiflow, I had to use the other Usb port
thanks for the help

Why? The emulation on Virtual Console is fucked up, the emulators you can run on a softmodded Wii are fucked up, and Wii games can be run on your PC. There's no actual reason to softmod a Wii there's pretty much no reason to own one in the first place

Wii sports bitch

I did it in 30 mins while training blowjobs with bananas

240p output

slut

don't care, I can play anything up to PSX on my PC
I can run them, but they run like a quadriplegic dwarf
Metroid Prime Trilogy, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Resident Evil 4 and rail shooters, Dead Space Extraction, Ghost Squad, Zeld, all the gamecube games that I missed out on and so on.
I bought it like a year after release, so why not softmod it now?

yeah, all but the final D2X cios only support USB0 not USB1 (usually the outermost one)
still fricking around with old Hermes CIOS to this day because I fucking want to use my usb stick and usb drive simultaneously in WiiXplorer. Anyone done that successfully?

are you fucking retarded
why are you using WBFS

That's how I found them, I didn't convert anything.

are you the same one who's been trying to do that for the past 4 years?

WBFS is fucking ancient, you can use an NTFS or FAT32 drive and put your ISOs on it. There is 0 reason to use WBFS in the Lord's year of 2017.
CIOS is also useless because of HW_AHBPROT, most backup launchers that haven't been abandoned are updated to use this.

Haw haw haw!!

Why do you think I was so frustrated?

WiiXplorer is unstable as fuck anyway. Whenever I want to use it I just boot my wii into linux instead.

Actually, there IS one. That is saving memory.
Certain game ISO's are 4GB, which you can trim to 450MB! Which is why I still use it, other than that, they are pretty indistinguishable.

Alright, I got it all working now, NTSC, PAL, WBFS, ISO, NTFS, FAT32…
It looks like USB Loader GX is just utter garbage, so either it just doesn't werk on my machine or all the people suggesting it are stupid assholes.
I've tried softmodding it in the past (like a year or two ago) and got the emulators and some WiiWare titles to work, but couldn't get any actual retail games to run. Tried both USB slots, just forgot which one to use this time around.
Now all I need are the component cables, because the default composite output is shit. And maybe a retro controller. Wish I could use the SNES one.

You can, IF you can find someone selling an SNES-to-Wii controller adaptor. Issue being that those have been out of print for years, and were a third party product. I'd also wager that the Hori SNES-style Gamecube controller could work, but those were import only and pretty pricy for a controller last I checked.

When I modded my wii, it all worked fine, but after a few uses the flashdrives I used constantly got corrupted and needed to be reformatted, and the cycle repeated.

Actually, got a few questions here myself. I already have my Wii softmodded via letterbomb, and did so some years back. Issue is, I recently picked up a physical game on the cheap (Rodea), and in double checking to see that the game actually works, it's apparently trying to force a "system update" from the disc. Some cursory research suggests it to just be a patch for the game itself and not an actual system firmware update (4.3u is still the latest for US models, right?). Will downloading this brick my Wii (admittedly I have bootmii as boot2, so I've got recovery), or otherwise render the softmodding done unusable? Is there a way to download the apparent game patch elsewhere and get the files on the system properly without having to connect the system itself to Nintendo's update service? Or am I shit out of luck (and will likely have to use a friend's Wii to play it instead, as he doesn't care to mod his)?

ye
as far as I know you should be fine. bootmii or Priiloader should prevent any firmware updates and potential brickage. But if you'd used AnyRegionUnlocker you may be in trouble because that thing locks out the e-shop, so it may as well have locked the updates/patch server.
In the end of the day, you can still just get an iso image of it somewhere else and keep the box on a shelf.

Currently backing up my Wii right now. Would be nice to double check what my Wii's Priiloader settings are, but all I can seem to find in my HBC are the installers for it. I haven't been prompted to update the Wii's firmware or anything since softmodding it (though I'm not sure there's even been any, being at 4.3u and all), so I assume Priiloader already has firmware updates disabled, but since this disc is still asking to update, I kind of doubt that disc updates has been disabled as well. Still curious though as to whether or not the update would work, or if I'll need to see about disabling disc updates. I've tried looking online for more information in regards to Rodea's update and playing it with a softmodded system, but have gotten next to no useful information (other than it being a game update and not a firmware one; wish I knew exactly what the update even did; if it's for multiplayer, or something, I wouldn't care much, but if it actually fixes game bugs fucking NISA then it might be something worth doing). Maybe I ought to see if there's information for utilizing prior games that required patches with a softmodded system, and if those can be updated without bricking the system or not.

I'm just kind of leery since, this being one of the last non-shovelware Wii releases (by a number of years, really), Nintendo could very well have put a final "fuck you" to softmodders in the update, even this long after the Wii's been known as an easily moddable system.

Honestly haven't heard of that thing before.

Found an old thread from 2011 in regard to general forced disc updates. Apparently the issue is the system doesn't match with the game's cIOS requirement, thus prompting an update regardless of whether the game actually needs said update to function properly (a poster used NeoGamma as an example, and that games at the time played through it just fine, or something). Another thread (2010 this time) mentioned "Gecko OS" as not only being able to run games without updating, but that it can also IOS of what the game is looking for and enable it to stop asking for an update when attempting to play with the Disc Channel. Given how many years have passed since then, would the latter still be a possible option for trying to fudge the update (assuming the poster knew what he was talking about)? I'd check the forums for it the WiiBrew page lists, but the link there seems dead.

Most loaders can still load from the DVD drive (some let you load regular DVDs if you have a wii with a compatible drive, too) and most of them will skip the update part. 4.3u is the latest for US models so I don't know what that game is trying to update .

nice
Gecko OS is easily available in the Homebreww Browser, so try it out. If that fails, look into ripping your game into an ISO or a WBFS file (whichever is more convenient) and patch it, which is very unusual in the first place.
I remember Miyamoto saying he'd rather never release a game at all rather than releasing it unfinished, thus Nintendo has a strict no-patch policy (according to google), but makes sense, seeing as how Wii has teeny tiny internal memory.

Your webm's length triggered me so I fixed it

I did try booting the game in Gecko. It seems like it can be played, but for some reason trying the switch the audio/subbing settings from the default automatically crashes the Wii. Gecko also isn't prompting whether or not I want it to install the associated IOS the game needs, the way I've seen it do in videos, which makes me think that perhaps even the latest release of it (version 1.9.3.1) is so outdated that it's not seeing it.

Again, I'd look for specifics as to how that game interacts with softmodded Wiis, but it's not been out all that long yet, and is effectively limited run as far as the Wii original version goes (Nintendo much rather wanting publishers to push for Wii U and 3DS releases at that point), so there doesn't seem to be much information on that as of now.

The game was third-party (made by Prope and Kadokawa). I was just thinking that it being such a late release, and one people would actually want to play compared to shovelware, might have gotten Nintendo more involved.
That sort of logic, I mean, given that Nintendo probably had to at least give approval, if not ship them some discs that they could then take to whoever printed them off (I'm honestly not real sure what that process is like). And as far as patching, goes, some companies (especially NISA) have really inept QA that don't find things before shipping, so patching would actually be useful there (not that it's an excuse to NOT paytest and bugfix beforehand). Unfortunately, in NISA's case, they often choose to leave games buggy, sometimes outright broken rather than repair them.

Just emulate, jesus.

t>>13150004
follow embed fg

Anyone happen to have some straightforward advice on where to go if my Wii has already been hacked? I've had the Homebrew channel for ages (I even did early experimenting with VC ROM injection), but I've been out of the loop for quite a long time now.

Sure
>Install Homebrew Browser if you haven't already (get the SD card, create an "apps" folder in the root and extract the files there) wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Browser
All Covers

Couple of tips:
That's what I've learned in the past couple of days. And turn up the speaker in your wiimote, I know I forgot it had one for years. Made the telephone conversations really weird in No More Heroes.

Ive played it on my softmodded Wii through a USB loader. I don't understand what your issue with the game is.

Absolute shite right here.

What do you mean? As in what can I do with my Wii once its softmodded? Well theres:
The Wii is an excellent emubox, it would be better without the wagglan though not referring to games, but to menus

Are there any other USB loaders that work with SD cards?

The big three seem to be
-USB Loader GX (the real absolute shite, this fucker was the one that never, EVER recognized any of the files or even USB devices, with a cluttered UI and icons so tiny, you'd need a 4K TV to see it with Wii's shit video output)
-Configurable USB Loader (a bit more complicated, but god damn is it CONFIGURABLE)
- and WiiFlow (which is what I would recommend)
sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/usb

Oh, OK I guess.
You wouldn't happen to know why Wiiflow can detect the games on my SD card but can't load them and just boots to system menu when I try to run one, would you? I installed cIOS yesterday (but not hermes) and haven't really tried anything else yet.

Can't say I do, user.
Never tried running games off the SD card. I understand that you want to use your SD card instead of a USB device, but can you, for the sake of experimentation, try to put the exact same game files onto a USB device and try running it from there?
The only thing I can think of is that the game files themselves are borked.

Is PS1 emulation on Wii still a mess?

Still no results for Wiiflow. Doesn't even boot to system menu. I'll try with the other two USB loaders now.

Well, shit. Configurable works.

Trying to load a game from SD using CFG from USB doesn't work. Looks like either I fucked up the formatting for my SD card or my Wii just doesn't like SD cards.

I'm pretty sure all USB loaders allow for SD, but even then, why would you want to use SD cards?

Well no fucking wonder, you barely know how shit works. GX is great, has nintendont compatibility and allows for emuNAND. Likewise, allows for importing game descriptions and covers, and it works excellently for categorizing games. Wii flow hasn't been updated in ages and is shit. Just because it doesnt work on your Wii probably because youre retarded doesn't mean its not the best loader.

yes it is, so is DS. The Wii is a serviceable emulationbox but dont expect PS1, DC, or anything post 5th gen. It can barely do N64 right

I was trying to use Gecko OS to run the disc, since I didn't want to install the IOS it was wanting, and as of now I don't have an external drive for my Wii.

I might as well post an update while I'm at it: Using Priiloader like said (somehow I didn't seem to have Priiloader even active, after trying for a while to access it) to disable disc-based updates fixed it so the game now plays without being locked behind the update. Additionally, I think I found out why Gecko OS was having issues: when changing the language (both audio and subtitling) settings, the game reboots with the new parameters. Considering Gecko (at least the one I'm using) was stored in homebrew rather than it's own channel on the main menu, it would seem it didn't know what to do when the game went to reboot itself, and as such would just crash back to the menu screen.

Can people rip their own game discs through a Wii now?

yes, through the USB loaders.