Fighting game genre

Should fighting games on a 2d plane have 2d art? Leave 3d models for fighting games that you can side-step.

Other urls found in this thread:

spriters-resource.com/xbox_360/persona4arena/
crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/08/02-1/new-collab-offers-street-fighter-at-the-corner-store
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I wanna fuck chun-li.

2d art is too expensive for such a niche genre. Just look at KoF13.

Xrd is proof that 3d can work just as well while being cheaper and more consistent

it's also that much easier to make hitboxes when the models are physically present

Be that as it may, the 3D models and heavy shading method they're using now is still more efficient than hundreds of hand-made 2D sprites.

But they didn't have to fuck up the artstyle in doing so. The concept is grand, the execution is awful.

"Efficient" at what? At reproducing Naruto games art style from PS3? They sure are.

At making a damn fighting game without breaking the bank.

Looks nothing like the original. She got BLAZBLUED! Just as bad as Xrd's Potemkin.

Drawing X-generation of GG sprites was nowhere near as expensive as KOF13 ones or even those damn pre-rendered models from Xrd.

meant for

I love sfv chunners

Her tits got bigger though so it's all good

stupid question, stupid thread

Enlighten us as to why it looks bad.

My guess is that it looks vectorized instead of rasterized. It doesn't look organic.

It's not bad or even shit, but I like sprites more. The lack of consistency is a good, realistic thing in animation because distortion indicates motion. Watch an action film with stunts and pause whenever there is fast movement like a kick, fall, or a punch. You'll see blurs.

And that's why you ignore contrarianons.

Nah, you're overwrought here.

You don't get results like hers using machines, machines don't work.

Making hitboxes in fighting games ideally doesn't have a lot to do with the exact position of the model, they're a function of what the move itself is supposed to do. Xrd itself still uses pretty rough 2d axis aligned boxes to express hitboxes, and it pretty much works, whereas hyper-accurate hitboxes tend to paradoxically lead to situations where the move doesn't behave as you'd expect it to or you get stupid extremely character specific situations like SF4 mid-combo meaties.

Do you have examples of the Smash one

Not right now.

Which one is that?

that's some abstract loss right there

Have one for tekken?

Nope, I just found these long ago and since people began talking about hitboxes it was a good chance to post them, maybe we should make new ones.

Aye.

I hated the transition from 3rd strike to sf4 but you eventually deal with it, at least ark makes a convincing "2D" look with 3D.

xrd looks as good as it does because arcsys actually put in the time and attention to detail required to make animation look good instead of using 3d as a cost saving mechanism & cutting whatever corners they could. they use an outdated engine and a dead rip xsi modeling suite and manage to make stuff that looks better that flagship aaa studios with proprietary nextgen. with that said, i really don't want every game to become xrd

it takes them just about as long to produce a model as it did for snk to make kof xiii sprites, the difference being that arcsys isn't completely incapable of business and marketing and there are more 3d modelers in the industry than traditional animators at this point.

blazblue literally does the same thing and did it before snk and they still seem to be making money

virtua fighter made accurate hit detection work but i think the hitbox changes when you get a juggle

HIT
SPHERES

Only morons will understand this.

they are spheres? not even capsules?

I have this one.

Is there a superior limb based combat hitboxes for this one?

collision checking with circles or spheres is easier.

I thought it would be capsules, guess it is viable, maybe I should try that on a game if I make one (not fighting mind you)

Prove me wrong user. Here's a screencap from John Wick.

There's significant differences between Blazblue and KOF12/13 spriting processes that boil down to BB working closer to a far more detailed 3D model and KOF putting more time into shading, cloth physics and a lot of little details. Maybe KOF also has more frames per move, but that's my impression based on dim memories so you shouldn't take it too seriously.

There are no hard algorithms for 2d collision detection in the first place, and collision checking with both spheres and axis aligned bounding boxes is extremely easy. Even pixel perfect collision wouldn't be hard to implement.

Except that making 2D pixels is more time consuming then anything. You could do it yourself with rough sketches, photoshop, whatever that program is called where you can just animate each frame at the FPS you want, then resize, then color it in. So long as you're not going for KoF13-tier quality and making sprites that need to be big you can make something decent within a plausible time frame.

Fighting games are the MOBA of arcade.

Fuck off with your degenerate garbage.

Babies first bait. Here, I will give you a (you) but try better next time kiddo.

Is sprite making really that expensive or time-consuming?

Well, considering that for a model you only need to make one, and only have to animate it and can infinitely reuse it, whereas with sprites you must make every individual frame of an animation, and it's not often that you can reuse them and they still look fitting.
Take for example Persona 4 Arena: spriters-resource.com/xbox_360/persona4arena/
Each character has over 1,000 sprites. Even with the process in this picture it would still take a lot of time to make them.

God why is everyone competing to make the worst looking females ?

This is the real issue. It's not that they're doing sprites vs. 3D models. It's that they're making the 3D models look as fucking god awful as they possibly can.

One of the main reasons Arcsys is making the jump to 3D is because sprites will be downsized due to increasing TV resolutions (and upscaling m just named them look like shit). I like the 3D but not the art style since characters seem to look over designed.

Only niggers, spics, and autists care about this genre.

30 years
crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/08/02-1/new-collab-offers-street-fighter-at-the-corner-store

There's always Minecraft, Rust, Atlis Life, and DarkRP if you want white kids.

Not going to happen on mass unless 2D becomes more cost effective. The methods for making 3D look like 2D are getting better though.

That didn't improve her design in my book. And since the animators wanted to flaunt them around it detracted from my appeal to the original design.

Kikoken

Chun-li is bae af.

KARIN

The 3d models use blurs you dumb faggot. They were incredibly deliberate in keeping the look and feel of 2d animations when switching over to 3d models.

>>>/facebook/
We don't speak bix nood here.

Don't listen to this user, he's probably just misdirected his perfectly justified anger at the Xrd designs.
Seriously though, look at this shit

silky smooth 24fps

that's not a blur, that's a smear.

Super SF2 sprites did this too
Cannon Spike!

Check out your favourite *booru site

How's your summer fightstick training?

What's up with nips and cross shaped rabdin indentations?

*random

All games that take place on a 2D plane should have 2D art because it simply gives the player a more intuitive sense the parts of character and scenery that actually interact with each other.

It doesn't have to be. Developers and players became graphic whores and got caught up in a vicious set of standards that were unrealistic and never necessary. Take a look at this image here. It looks better than any modern bucket of 3D piss fighting game and was drawn at less than a quarter their resolution. There is nothing wrong with drawing for a lower resolution and upscaling things 1:1, and artists should really start realizing that.