The Long Dark

How is your survival in Canadia going /v?

Are you warm?
Are you fed?
Do you have shelter?
And most importantly, Are you having fun?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QqLi7Pe0jDw
thepiratebay.org/torrent/18269527
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Uh, you seem to have assumed anyone knows anything about this OP.

Played it a long time ago. Really shit and quit after ten minutes. Has it improved any?

I downloaded it but never installed it.

That's how much I wanted to play it.

Kickstarter game voiced by the guy who did Metal Gear Solid Snake– David Hayter. Game was officially released just yesterday. Was sold as early access though since 2014 as an alpha version and sold about 750,000 since april of 2016. It's apparently sold about 1.3 million so far, including the previous early access stuff mentioned.

It's also getting a movie with help of the Resident Evil producer Jeremy Bolt.

oh yes , they're adding emotional storytelling to the mix now because blank slate characters are sooooo passé these days; maybe next we'll even get episodic adventures with a focus and storytelling quicktime event cutscenes too so that a mediocre and relatively unknown title with a bare bones but effective gameplay mechanic can become full blown casualised cancer
youtube.com/watch?v=QqLi7Pe0jDw
ISN'T THAT GREAT!?!?

tfw no survival game base on your country

checkeddd

Looking at it it seems that there's the sandbox mode, then they're using the same gameplay and mechanics in some little story modules for people that aren't too interested in Sandbox mode. Why would you bitch at more content in a game you haven't even played?

Oh, thanks for the update, didn't realize they'd released it. My main gripe with sandbox is that the wolves are a retarded unfun game mechanic. Making them stupid zombies with no will of their own except to fuck the player is stupid. I've literally lead a wolf to a rabbit while running away thinking it would stop to eat the rabbit it had just killed, NOPE it desires human flesh so much it ignored it's kill and kept coming for me.

no they didn't

Going by experience GOG is often days or weeks behind on updates compared to Steam.

Fuck off, this was peddled around when it was early access. It's the rudimentary shit that they've attempted to dress up with more hollyjewry like everything else. They've also managed to make the interface worse than the Unity-tier stock they had. I'm even seeing the typical odd number of comments on youtube videos that have less than a few hundred views. Usual tricks.

Meanwhile the Pirate Bay got it around 20 hours ago.
thepiratebay.org/torrent/18269527

finally a thread, I was wondering
so how is story mode?

it was always planned you fucking rebel faggot

Wow, been playing it today for quite a while already, its pretty much straight forward as a tutorial in the beginning, but opens up quite a bit at some point
and I have to say its looking pretty pretty good

first, because maps and everything seem to be all new, maybe they use the existing ones later
second, nps mothafucka, I actually only met one blind grandma, but its quite implicit that there will be more
the characters and the story bring a whole new level to fucking thing, a new level of survival comfyness and drive to explore stuff
and third, already had a couple of rumbles and wolfs and died miserably, feels like the game is ever so hard on your skill without it being impossible to keep on top of your needs

Why play a game when I can just go outside.

What's the correct way to fight wolves when they attack you? by experience it seems to be the reaction time when you have to select your weapon plus the weapon type (the last wolf that attacked me barely scratched my clothes just by quckly choosing the axe when given the option)

Also wolves are no bigger than a golden terrier, it's a cuckolnadian thing to be afraid of dogs?

fucking wolfs teared me to shreds
so good question, I think its the reaction time plus quick time event
the problem though is more than once they sneaked up on me nearly making me crap my pants
the attack it self is that bad, the problem is the side effects and clothe tearing, so combine that with being far from shelter and medicine, and you're fucked

Jennifer Hale sucks. No range.

Honestly this game starts out cool for about 5-10 hours and then it becomes mind-numbingly stupid for anyone looking for actual survival. They make absolutely stupid concessions for the sake of "gameplay" without realizing that a game like this is worthless without a degree of realism. It isn't arcadey enough to be fun playing over and over but it also isn't realistic enough to warrant playing one guy for a long time without becoming frustrating.

The ridiculous hunger timeline and the abundance of resources hamper this game. It sucks having to scrape around for a candy bar every minute, instead of going a long time without anything and finding the rare nugget that keeps you going for another day. The stupid crafting system leaves me scratching my head, too. Why is it that you have to go find a fucking furnace in an old whaling ship to smelt down scrap metal for arrowheads instead of, I dunno, smacking a fucking rock for flint shavings? Why not let me fire harden arrows? Why do I have to cure my god damn wood before I make a bow instead of making a makeshift weapon on the spot? Why is there almost nothing useful to fucking make in the first place?

This game is a huge waste of potential and it hurts. It hurts because when you first boot the game up and you jump into an icy wilderness and you struggle to build your first fire, it feels like exactly the game I'm looking for. Too bad it only takes a few hours to realize the game is bogged down by retarded decisions by devs who have their heads up their ass and think playing as a grill should be their biggest priority.

Trash thread.

you sound like a fucking annoying child, name one perfect game, ever…?
have you even played the fucking thing after it been released, because story mode was what devs always aimed, and its their game not yours…

I for one am thoroughly enjoying story mode, it give context and character, all the more it explains the worlds its happening in, while still having the survival aspects you'd expect from this game
saved for a few glitches its pretty good overall, they nailed on the UI and resource system

Really becomes boring after a bit. Not being able to immediately craft items like a bow for example makes a large part of the game waiting around for items to cure and such. Wait on something to age, boil water, eat and drink is like 70% of the time spent on this, the rest spent on exploring a big but uninteresting map. Not to mention that you can't upgrade equipment you like, only repair. Can't put a scope on the rifle, can't make the bow's range higher etc. Waste of potential imo
They spent money on getting a story mode through the door instead of fine tuning the mechanics of the game
Also pretty sure that some devs made the thread or at least are lurking in it. You can just ask our opinions guys, don't have to pretend

C'mon now

It's shit. I first got this in EA back in 2014 and so much has changed and I fucking hate it and I wish I could get my fucking money back. Hinterland can suck my fucking dick.

I live in Alaska so its going well enough.

Would you recommend moving to Alaska?

Wtf are Wolves in this game? Actual Wolves are like 4 times the size of a Gold Terrier.

Oh yes, it's a jolly good place and the cold keeps all undesirables out.

Pretty sure I saw a documentary about the Anchorage gangland drug trade. Nice try, wannabe-moose.

Yes.

Expect a higher cost of living, slow shipping times, and longer travel times. You will also have really long days in the summer and then short days in the winter. Also, some places will go from -40 F to 90 F through out the year. Almost half the state lives in one area as well. Maybe things are a little cheaper there in Anchorage, I don't live there.

But I love it here.

Alaska is a pretty big Commiefornia filter too. Most Californians won't move this far north and when they do, they tend to leave after the first winter.

I'd accuse you of being a dev/shill if I didn't personally know people who get upset at the slightest disagreement regarding something they like.

I'm not butt hurt, but I get pissed off at people saying shit without even playing the game
seems like only me and another user actually played the game after release

pics? which kind of wolves are that large?

You're a complete joke, mate. Enjoy your trash indie scam and please seek treatment for that butthurt.

I’ve played this thing since before they kiked it up with the new UI and campaign. It’s COMFY AS FUCK. The soundscape is great and I actually like the art style and its consistency.

Pirate, don’t buy. But that goes for literally everything these days.

Shill harder, moishe.

I've dropped 100+ hours into the game and it's shit. It was decent back in 2014, what they just released was absolute trash. This game taught me not to fall for the EA scam.

Is it even out of early access because if not this is one of those never ever games.

user, I don’t think you can use those words together in that order.

I have heard the legends about some games coming out of early access and having an official release, surely there must be some truth to the stories?

Tumblr the survival game.

This game takes place in Canada, so that means you won, and you had a perfect victory if the wolf fucked your wife too.

yeah I suppose only triple A games are good right?

what now?

yes it is actually released

>change game from what was originally promised to whatever this emotional bullshit this is
The ONLY good thing they did was not make the game co-op/mp.

people seem to be stuck on this so much, what the fuck was promised hu?
and I want actual references, not just something fruit of your imagination

Is this your first time on a chan?

I was kind of interested so I checked the page

I support indie devs when I can, but the price is unreasonable

This just keeps getting better.

Not user, but I'm genuinely curious. What was it supposed to be?

Kill yourself newfag

I'm going to take that as 'there is nothing they are doing that goes against what was originally promised, I'm just asshurt that I actually threw money at dumbshit indie devs abusing early access'

Underrail was an Early access game, one of the few to leave it, and possibly the only legitimately good game to come from Early Access.

was extremely comfy watching a quiet streamer play for a couple of hours
seemed limited as fuck though, like 5 to 10 hours of enjoyment tops, would not buy
and unless the resident shill can explain to me how exactly a few NPCs with dull VA will significantly add to that playtime, I'm going to assume the update didn't add much value

fucking hipster
and no, superior leaf dogs are the most wolf-like

Fellow Alaskafag here. Pretty sure it's getting pozzed, considering that Columbus Day got replaced by Indigenous People's Day, i.e. "boohoo we couldn't git gud and columbus fucked our shit up, and we're gonna throw a tantrum over the fact that he had the right to do whatever he wanted to us because we were weak" day. Where you at? Mat-Su here.

If you remember it, link?

There's a fair amount of SJWs in Anchorage. You'd be surprised at the "people" who inhabit this place. I mean, fucking Runkachunk came from here after all.

No fucktard, I called you a newfag because you don't know what IDs are. Once again, kill yourself.

Suck my circumcised cock goyim.

That's a thing? Like, they just don't talk at all and just play the game live?

Let those two argue. Can we talk more about Alaska? How's the internet there?

who cares? you can see all the way to russia from there ,white as far as the eye can see

you still can log in from another ip

its just blatant shitposting at this point, they're angry at anyone who ever tries to do something
obviously someone who hasn't achieved anything in life yet….
when will fucking summer end?

Kek.

ANYWAY….
I've been with the game for a long fucking time (pirated the hell out of it in the past)
always knew they were doing a episodic survival game about someone crashing plane in canadian wilderness under mysterious circumstances (power blacking out everybody disappearing)

well for one its all new maps and settings, for two, npc and storyline adds context to everything

you can find notes around the place, describing where the people went and what happened to them, you may find hidden cache, you can find the story of how someone struggled and died in the cold, you can find who were the people who lived in the house you are now looting…

and finally but not least, it gives a questline, a objective that is not plainly surviving, its drive to push you forward

What is wrong with kikes?

Everything.

is it really getting a movie ?

he was quiet by streamer standards; still talked, just not fucking constantly
I think I've heard an user mention a silent streamer once or twice, but I've never seen the fabled creature myself

so is it
or

what wrong with it?
it is in fact looking for his waifu who was with him when the plane crashed down,
however there are some more mystery there, they were separated, the "end of times storm" was raging on, she was carrying a mystery case which you can't open yet

fuck yeah, thanks user, completely unrelated but because of you I remembered the name of a game

about to clear the first area, do you guys want story spoilers?

I played this a year or two ago when it was still in early access. I remember the game was sorta shit with no randomization and the hunting rifle was in only one place IIRC, which just made the game a rush to that one location. When I played it I found so much fucking food that I went on a hilltop, started a fire, slept for 8 hours, gathered wood for the fire, ate, slept for 8 hours until I could walk faster again because I had no where to put all that food.

Also can I stab a wolf with a wooden spear in this game yet? It used to be that the only way to fight a wolf was to let it grapple you and then use a QTE to kill it.

No, you can't just go willy nilly trying to kill wolfs
but they improved on the QTE a lot, last night I had a wolf fucking jump on me coming out of a house, and I react fast enough to be able to get him off me without him trashing all my clothes and health
and you seem pretty lost to what the game is supposed to be either, try to skim the thread first

AFAIK it uses Unity, so it will never not run like shit.

Y…You almost said manbaby didn't you, you fucking goon shill?

Fuck off back to reddit, and tell your dev friends to fix their shit game when you do.

Y… You too…

In the free-roam if you get the rifle, yeah.

this is p correct I have played TLD since 2014 and it is just like every other unity game (SHIT) The only cool part about the game is exploring areas, which makes it a walking simulator tbh, and even then the maps are not THAT interesting. the enemies are not realistic (wolves dont fuck with people and they clearly have food, they will hunt deer and rabbits in game) and once you have a gun you can just start laying out bear left and right. the WORST part of the game though is the status system juggle, where you have to eat and drink like crazy, sleep 12 hours just to run for 5 min, its fucking nuts. The game isnt really that hard either its just artificially annoying. You can be the KING after 10 in game days (and most of that time is spent sleeping because apparently your character who eats 4K calories every day gets sleepy after running a mile)
I have not played the story meme but i have low expectation and dont care that much about it tbh.
DAILY REMINDER ALL UNITY GAMES ARE LIKE THIS! IMAGINE THIS GAME IN UNREAL 4 WITH NON SHIT MECHANICS AND GOOD PERFORMANCE (did i mention TLD takes up like 3-4gb of ram for such a low poly low texture size low performance game ?)

MAYBE because this is a unity game after all, the community will fix it and make an actual non shit game with mods.

holyshit reading through this thread you can pinpoint the paid posters.

you seem to fail to understand the concept of "early access" and "development"
you dumb nigger, let me explain, it is why you have such things so much out of balance in the early days, so they can fine tune and find the right spot

and you clearly didn't read enough since you still haven't it actually after release…

and can we fucking stop with the "muh unity" meme?
ok, its sort of shit, but it doesn't affect end game that much, I have never experience shit performance like everybody claims, and I even have a shit card

Just finished the first episode last night..

have to say I'm a bit disappointed, but not that much, I was sort of waiting more freaky conclusion to the old grandma story
first episode resolves around a old blind grandma with a rifle, she ask you do a bunch of quest stuff for her, including hauling large quantities of supplies
I was expecting for her to be like a ghost and or some guiding from his imagination, but no

her story is depressing on its own though, and after filling her with supplies and some more you end up leaving basically to die alone
but here is the thing, she is always sitting by an infinite fire on her house, which means you end up saving a whole lot of time on wood, not to mention a warm place with light while you craft and repair stuff
by the end I had to leave all sorts of supplies behind, but that is alright, I saw this area of entry level for the new gamer to get used to it and his shit sorted out,

it ends with a cutscene of another guy getting mauled by a bear, so looking forward to that too
anyone has any idea on the intervals of episodic release, I hope it doesn't take that much

Those aren't the actual graphics are they?

I was wondering if "ughh too much gear" sounded way too much like "METAL GEAR".

Nigger it's a fucking wolf what did you expect?

you nigger, dude was playing this 2 years when it was early access, now its release
learn comprehension

(((((((((((((((((((((1)))))))))))))))))))))))))))
sure are not shills here

son this comment almost makes this whole worth it

some hints:
first of all, it almost always better to avoid wolfs, always,
if you need hunting, try to trap rabbits, if you got the rifle to handle it, try stalking deers,

like user mentioned before, wolfs do not hunt you like crazy dangling meats like before, they will only get aggressive if you get too close
get too close and they start growling and chasing you, they really may stalk you for a long time, which is specially annoying on constructed area, as they may sneak behind houses

they get scared off by fire, flares are the most effective here, either just holding one or using a flare gun
you can throw flares and torches and this works best, but beware, there seems to an issue with the game, don't throw them too early as they will not get scared and you end up defenseless

and as a final advice, they mostly always bleed out some after fighting you, (and most likely too after getting shot), so it may be wise to hide out and then search later in the vinicity for its body

oh and yeah, you can craft medicine from natural herbs for that purpose

What version of the game you playing? because in my game wolves not only are extremely aggressive and seem to actively try and attack me, there are so many of them it's almost impossible to avoid them.
This almost never works in this version of the game. I played the game a year ago and this worked fine, you could hold a source of fire and the wolves would mostly avoid you if they got close you just had to wave it around or throw the fire source to the ground and they'd go away, in the current version they ether completely ignore it or run away a few feet then come running strait back at you.

Also the QTE when they attack you is still retarded, you still can't use knifes or axes as an actual melee weapon and they also seem to have fucked up damage because the amount of times wolves have walked off a bullet to the face in this version is bullshit.

The game is fairly lackluster and there's barely anything in there to keep for self sufficiency. if you have to rely on the resources they spawn and considering there's not late game mechanics like say: farming a renewable resource. It's fun for a moment but if you play any longer at all (in sandbox mode) it gets boring.
Also here's a neat tip: Avoid bears. No matter what. You can't run past them. Just back the fuck up and walk away.

The story is shit anyways. I bet it's just more pretentious garbage like the beginning cinematic.

Honestly? I'd rather have co-op mechanics than this boring story. It'd be fun to scour resources by splitting up and pooling them back together.

As long as you don't walk around everywhere with raw meat, you can get within about twenty yards of a wolf without aggroing them (ten if they're eating).
All animals have fixed spawns and sometimes even fixed patrol routes. Once you learn the spawns it's a simple matter of staying away from the wolf areas until you get weapons and torches.
From what I've seen the scare chance is hugely increased, I've never been attacked while carrying a torch/flare and throwing one at their feet seems to work every time.
What the fuck are you talking about? That feature's been in the game for a year, in recent versions there's even a fullscreen prompt asking which weapon to use.

MARK!

Wolves are all over the place in my game, I can't fucking go anywhere before I bump into more of them. Their spawns get so retarded sometimes that I get attacked when exiting buildings.
Used to work for me in previous versions of the game, doesn't seem to work that well for me now. In the very few times it does work the wolves come running strait back at me after fleeing for a few seconds.
Being able to use them in the shitty QTE isn't the same as using them as an actual weapon. I mean being able to equip like the rifle so I can swing them around hit shit with them.

you're trying to play this game as if it was rust, the forest, that one in the ocean or some shit like that
its not that game, and I've said a lot of times in the thread, story was always the goal, more of exploration mixed in with survival
so settling down on some cabin and waiting on your supplies to run will inevitably get boring (as it would in any other game, why would anyone play that)
sandbox mode was always more for the development phase and trying out a challenge

what this guy said
and I'm obviously playing on the lasted version, get your pirating straight shithead…

you have to wait to throw the torch/flare at the right time, there seems to be an issue, and if you throw them out of range, the wolf won't care

regarding spawns, from what I've seem
they spawn once and won't despawn later, they do however seem to keep roaming even if you're not around,
story mode had sort of an town area that initially had no wolfs, but I was attacked by surprise a couple of times leaving houses, and it scared the crap out of me
they didn't seem to reappear after being killed though,

I own the game idiot.
What the hell do you think I'm trying to do throw the thing strait at or over them? I throw it right in front of me and the wolves 90% of the fucking time don't give a shit. This was never a problem when I played before the story mode crap was added.
Please fucking kill yourself.

oh noes… we have some of those dot dot dot intolerant…

anyway… started second episode tonight really good, was really to start right up the hunter's cabin,
had a similar experience where wolf literally followed me trekking for a long while,
finally got close and couldn't scare him off with the flare,
it does seem they can more random and erratic behavior, maybe each wolf if he is hungry gets more aggressive,
the story does hint about them acting weird, so very likely that it will be "explained" in the story

it's .303 rifle you fucking retard it's basically a .22