SS13 - Space Station 13 HONK edition

Its an autistic round-based roleplaying game based from a poorly coded atmospherics simulator with clowns
You download the BYOND client byond.com/
Use the keybind (CTRL + O) and post the IP into the "Enter the hub identifier" box.
byond://87.117.247.20:33447
8station.miraheze.org/wiki/Starter_Guide
Chaosyourgod is the current owner of the server, meanwhile 8chanserverhost administrates it and maintains the server.
>Wow, I'm a button pusher/coder/ERPer, and I'd really love to join the admin team so I can shitpost with my (((fellow niggers)))!
Contact either Chaosyourgod or 8chanserverhost over byond or while they're on the server.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/29369
github.com/chaosyourgod/-tg-station
github.com/chaosyourgod/-tg-station/pull/45
jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html
archive.fo/KfE0S
github.com/tgstation/tgstation/tree/master/code/modules/cargo/exports
github.com/chaosyourgod/-tg-station/tree/master/code/modules
autism.org.uk/about/behaviour/preparing-for-change.aspx
pastebin.com/MMrrUhfN
pastebin.com/GwgsDSwN
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

shit thread

I forgot to update the template. I'll do it the next time I make the thread.

Such is life in spess

s-sorru

thanks random events

At least I blew up cloning and got the shuttle called.

Metagrudges are not okay user.
You got punished by Space Jesus.

It was a retaliation, they constantly get away with murderboning as a nontag. Almost as though they erp with the admin.

Also, to properly bomb with wrapped bombs, put a proximity sensor on them. The sensor doesn't work while inside the wrapper. The moment they open it, they blow up. Or not, I don't remember how it went last time I tried.

VIOLENCE, BREEDS VIOLENCE

I don't think the prox thing works that way any more. What I sometimes do (even in new cops) is stick a maxcap in a bag with a mousetrap detonator. Sometimes I'll leave the disk in that.

I sometimes leave laser+signaler in front of airlocks. People pass by, hear the *beep* and get scared shitless.

Also:
If you're a sec officer, combine an igniter with a proximity sensor. Have it on you at all times (but off).
When you search someone's backpack, put it inside their box activated.
Some codebases limit the "sight" of prox sensors, but on other servers, the player will take 20 minutes to discover why he's sparkling.

Do not actually metagrudge.

There's been times as of late that I've been terribly tempted. There's people who are straight up murderboning in the worst ways, grabbing every shit excuse to murder and destroy your corpse, as non antags. It's starting to piss me off.

Metagruge the faggots who deserve it, I say. Since mods are reluctant to ban anyone, that's the only way to ensure the faggots cut their shittery.

The issue with metagrudging is that you risk killing off someone else.
If you go by "that guy went medic 4 rounds, he's gonna go medic again, I'm sure" you simply take a chance that he picked something else and end up killing the wrong guy.
Rounds end when the shuttle docks, user. Learn to let it go.

That's why you learn to tell more than just the job. You learn the guy.

Please understand, I ain't saying grudge over one single round. I'm not even saying grudge over two. And sure as hell don't grudge over a legitimate tator action.
But there's some faggot on the server lately who's literally been going straight murderbone validhunt-tier shitbasket, and he ain't going to stop unless he's either banned, or beat down repeatedly until he changes his shitter ways.
We've had this problem before, and it absolutely destroys rounds. Do you remember EmilyInSpace? I do. For some reason or another, that shitboot was left alone for ages, until it was dragged into the open. That guy destroyed rounds for players on numerous occasions, being a shitter wherever he went. Typically played medical, where he'd refuse to give any service to anyone he disliked, and had, on several occasions, syringed and murdered people with the most microscopic provocation. Played science a few times, too, and actually went so far as to kidnap a scientist, bind him, blindfold him, gag him, straight jacket him, buckle him to a chair, stuff him in a locker, and weld said locker, all because he had the audacity to not be in science the entire round.

Listen, I really do like our lax moderation style.
But this type of thing only works if the players can enforce a standard.
If the players cannot enforce a standard, either, then the station's just going to go full deathmatch murderbone, because nobody trusts anyone not to be a massive shitter and literally murder them for any perceived slight.

Who're the guys going around murderboning? How can you identify them? How much do you want to bet that they'll never be on weekend games? It's probably a, or a few, retarded pubbies. Nothing atypical. The enforcement against being a shitter is sec, although I've not once- and I'm on a decent amount of the time- been randomly murdered by someone. Maybe you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Sec only works if there's sec. Which is sadly not usually the case. You are, ultimately, correct though. Problem with that is population. These types I only ever seem to run in to on lower pop hours, though that might be more to do with that I primarily play low pop hours. They tend to murder out of the blue over a perceived slight, as mentioned. I've been killed out of the blue three times, now, during such times. Not pleasant, as I am sure you can imagine. During low-pop, I tend to relax more, as it's relatively rare that anyone's cold-blooded enough to kill anyone else when there's only up to six odd players, so it always irks me when it happens, especially when they aren't even antags doing it.

As to "how can you identify them?", most of that's learning people. Learning how they write, how they act, and so on. Combine that with other information on the guy, their preferred method of attack, their skills, their appearance, and so on. Again, this isn't something that you build over one round, two rounds, even so many as five rounds. It's something you learn of people after a fair while of playing with them.

You may be right, in any case, about the 'mountain out of a molehill' bit. It's rare enough that I am willing to wager it's just one guy doing it.
But, then, I'm not really intending to make a 'mountain' out of it anyway. I'm just saying that when you're getting repeatedly shit on by one faggot that you've grown to know, it shouldn't be wrong to shit on him back.

this is the best part of SS13: meeting new people, making new friends and finding new ways to space their dumbass.

If it's always 2 faggots that help each other during low-pop, especially when there's no admin on, it's the same faggots all over again.

They over around these threads, check when a server pops up, scout for "times there are no admins" and join up to kill people during that time.
The admins really need to start stealthmining in some of those rounds.

Or better yet, people should start to adminhelp whenever that happens. Adminhelps are logged as well as everything else so an admin can read them later, cross check information and find the ckey of those fags.

I don't know about two helping eachother. I've not noticed it yet, but then, when I robust someone I robust them quickly. It is during low-pop, though, yeah.

I've got a bit of a nasty aversion to using adminhelp personally. Maybe I should just go ahead and do it, but it always seems a bit pansyish to me.

Don't be like that. There's a lot of stuff and information that you don't have and admins do, information that can make a possible metagaming or metagrudge case go from "likely" to "confirmed.
But admins are not gonna bother unless people adminhelp stuff so you end up passing that oportunity.

Besides, it's their job to administrate and moderate the server, so make them do their job and complain when shit just ain't right. It's what it's there for after all.
It's the equivalent of finding rotten fruit in a grocery store. Is it "pansyish" to complain about it instead of showing how manly your stomach is? Fuck no, get me better fruit ASAP, this one is rotten!

If I get a rotten fruit at the grocery store, I just put it back and grab a fresh one. Not a great example.
It just always feels to me like tattling to some teacher or such. Technically valid, I guess, but I'm just a tad skiddish about doing it. Maybe that's just how I was raised.

Is this server still running that shitty small retarded map? If no i will consider joining

If there is any problems regarding other players, ingame bugs, or whatever, I beg. Please contact us over adminhelp. It makes both my job, and the other admins jobs easier when someone reports us an issue. If there is metashitters, tell us so we can bully them out of the server.

Convince them to use this.

If you mean ministation, no. We do not use ministation. We're using metastation.

that's even fucking shittier. im out

wew

Is that so bad Mr.

(3) and (4)
Open the door
Everybody do
The dinosaur

what the fuck is this retardation?

Caves implies a ceiling.
They're craters.

I miss nel hosting asteroid station. It's a shame people chimp out every time it's suggested that the handful of objects that exist in Holla Forums code that TG doesn't have are added to asteroid and the station is switched.
I don't even remember what the issue was other than people not wanting to use a map that would end up being "outdated" because it wasn't maintained as often, despite the server never merging upstream from TG anyway.

I guess people just want the same thing. It's a wonder none of the Holla Forums servers has gone even further into the hole and just started doing box only. Nothing will ever top the comfy of asteroid station, but I guess I can't blame people for not wanting to learn the lay of a new station. Even though that would likely not take that many rounds.

Here's another comfy station where /vg/ does xeno archaeology.

Then what distinguishes these open-air tiles from an shaft miner's tunnels? I'm pretty sure those are implied to be underground especially because you require light sources to be able to see shit. It's internally inconsistent

If you want to have the asteroid station as the main station map, then please update the objects on the map to fit the current Holla Forums code we have.

To be fair, the one I posted is fucking autistic, with departments stupidly lain out.
But I still love the idea of being on an asteroid.

What defines open space on the gaps of our current asteroid where you walk to each odd outpost?

I'd really, really prefer you guys work in a proper asteroid station that isn't the one I posted, though. That one is incredibly shit. We just need to make our own.

I liked the idea of a station in a debris field consisting of separate modules connected by vulnerable walkways. It would feel like real space station when you'd have to brave the vacuum just to get from place to place when the place starts to break down.

Most the stations are so robust, you can go through shifts without ever even seeing space before waddling to the escape shuttle.

I doubt other people would want to play on it even if I did.

Asteroidstation looks comfy. I would not mind having an alternative version of it on our server. I would honestly play on it.

This is even better. Basically, asteroid belt station. No proper full-tile windows keeping you from the depths of space, just the shitty one-wall windows that get blown by the slightest provocation.

You mean Taxi Station with walkways added to it?

Depending on what stations are where, this looks pretty neat. Walkways seem like they would just be prime targets for murdering and/or bombs, but otherwise I like that

It'll never happen, it's a station made in the /vg/ codebase and converting it is apparently a massive problem and the alternative is rebuilding it all in the codebase used on the Holla Forums server from scratch.

NEVER.EVER.

what happened to that one guy making that map ?

I'd break it up a tad more, but that seems right solid there.

How hard is mapping? I could try my hand at it maybe.

I've been told that it isn't hard as such just abit shit to get into

It's not particularly hard, it's primarily tedious.
There are a lot of things that could go wrong: Objects not pixel adjusted right, air alarms and APC's not having the correct default settings, tiles being unsimulated, intercoms not being properly connected, robots not having a clear path to the next beacon thus fucking their pathfinding, tedious navigation through the mapping menu, etc.

Mainly it just takes forever to get used to, and then it still takes forever to get things done because there are so many different things to consider and then test and fix and test again and so on. I'd say give it a try doing some basic shit like a simple DJ sized station then start working on large scale things.

Well, that sounds like a pain. I was hoping it'd be about as easy as actually manually going in and building a station.
But that sounds worse somehow.
Too bad there's not a way to simply save an autism fort.

It kind of is just manually going in and building a station, it's just that certain things like intercoms and APC's/Air alarms need to have certain settings, but these already exist in the code of an existing station.

That's one of the big problems when working with an existing station, when you try to find one specific object you'll often find 10 instances of that object each with different settings on it. If you start from scratch this shouldn't be that much of a problem but you'd still need to go through the tedium of figuring out what the correct settings are, which if I remember right isn't as obvious as it should be.

I could be wrong, it might be vastly improved now, the last time I did anything involving mapping was back in 2015 and I was never actually good at it either.

That's possible too. It's a very old (and mostly abandoned feature) of the game. A creative mode of sorts. It lets you jump in-game on an empty map, spawn everything, build with a special RCD and then save the map in a file.
It even stops events and shit like that so the map isn't ruined.

I don't know if it still exists in the code. Last time I fucked around with it was years ago, most of the icons were placeholders and it would still take some var_editing to fix.

Didn't there use to be a MoMMI nest on this station, or was that another one?

Don't think there's ever been one. There should be one but there isn't.
I think at some point it was suggested that one was made branching off from the AI satellite or from the half constructed room outside atmospherics space but I don't think it was ever actually done.

You're thinking, as I used to, drones. We used to have a drone fabricator. Drones were also objectively better than MoMMIs, who can hardly do anything.

Postan progress

It wasn't a fabricator, it was just 4 shells that spawned at random spots in maintenance and sometimes they were produced through the exofabricator in robotics or drones made a bunch of shells themselves using the fabricator in maintenance.

The actual fabricator that existed, the round grey thing, was a MoMMI one and they still exist on the mining asteroid, UO45 and derelict. There used to be one on the station which was removed for some reason.

Could've sworn it could be used for drones, too. Too bad.

Incidentally, I miss drones. Way better than the shitheaps of MoMMIs. Way less limitations.

on sierras server there was lots which were removed because shitters gunna shitty with'um

HYPER ACTIVE SEXUAL POWER

Why

did you just anal vore me bro?

Bryce all you had to do was let it go

lol

Didn't mean to quote, my bad

That's not me tho

Worth it.

Can I disable this? Or is it supposed to be this way. Also,

Probably an intercom or station radio tbh

Oh, so other people can hear you through other people's radios?

there's races, you just have to become them in the round.

also >join Holla Forums server
what does he mean by this?

Headsets pick up only your voice.
Intercoms and radios let you communicate without wearing them and are somewhat portable but also pick up in a larger area, even in bags

Whats fun is reading WGW over comms with like 30 radios, tends to lag or crash servers

The server in the op.

tbh

How crazy should I go with my loot?

Okay, how do I lay down, make others lay down, and put people on tables?

in the IC tab click on rest, using disarm will knock someone down, draging someone and then clicking on a table will put them on a table

Drag your sprite onto it

For other people, have grab (yellow) intent, a free hand, and click them. You may have to Use (Z) the "upgrade" command to get a tighter grip first. At that point, click the table

Now miner is rich fat cat.

I saw a MoMMI while mining once and then there was a bunch of plasma gas for some riesen. Would that MoMMI have been planning to blow up the asteroid too? that's pretty neat.

its a nigger to make bombs directly on the asteroid as a MoMMI because all you can make is 7 dev canister bombs and little puny babby one-tank bombs.

I didn't see what crewmembers must beat before the loot so I don't know mate.

That was me. I accidentally clicked to become one without knowing shit about them, rolled with it, and decided to remove the 'non-standard' structure with the wizard shit stored inside. The walls, I found out after a welding torching, were solid plasma. Later got rekt trying to take out one of those red hulking beasties.

are you talking about the infinite plasma incident

so we just had an issue come up ==loyalty implanting antags does that make him no longer antag?==

so basically our options here are to change loyalty implant to make it more clearer that you're "soft" removed antag, meaning if that implant leaves your head you're back to being an antag, or just change it so to nu/tg/ mindshield implants and every tato will be remove from the round via gulag or gibbing

Haven't played on TG recently.
If the "mindshield" thing is what I think it is (you try to implant, it fails) that just leads to people testing for traitors.
Have it a diferent way:
Not even hard to code too.

but what about jobs that spawn with that?

Make it so that while the implant is in you you're no longer a traitor, and have amnesia of what you did while a traitor.

Horribly comfy times today, glad to have a server. Playing with goons or other groups just doesn't have the same charm, always feel like some beardy fag with a napoleon complex is breathing down my neck if I do something fun. Surprised by the general friendliness of the anons playing today.

so posibrain "all past lives forgotten" deal

we're a mean bunch of cunts towards any and all pubbie though

Of course, have to preserve the Holla Forumsolk after all. I just meant in the sense that everyone was there to have a fun time and most players weren't being shitters to any extreme.

there's still some powergayminess I have a disdain for but that's just that really

On higher pops I make due with what I find to robust people with, makes the game more fun and keeps it interesting. Also finding new things/ strategies is nice.

honestly so tbh

Loyt implant should, and to my knowledge has been, one of the meant options for dealing with a traitor confirmed. It should always make them non antag, otherwise, what's the fucking point?

New round, git in ere.

It stops the traitor and keeps them in the round. Seems like a better option than just gibbing or what not.

However, what's to stop shitcurity from implanting every person they come across at round start and powergaming?

Make loyalty implants rarer than already and require Cap/HoS approval, plus a major charge needs to be filed.

Isn't powergaming against the rules I was quoting you and realized I was on 8chanserverhost's server.

there's only four of them at sec so you can't really implant everyone unless you order lots of them or do Rnd

can't make'um too rare unless what if a good round of rev/gang/cult happens?

if we had vorecode I'd be sticking it other places
:^)

I wonder what the nuke disk smells like? haha

Probably like banana haha

The good ones can't be stopped by simply cuffing and implanting them and require beatings.

You aren't supposed to implant people without reason. It's a rather massive violation, as the NT implant restricts ones basic human rights around freedom of thought.
Basically, if they're trying to implant you, that's grounds for revolution. Robust their asses.

maybe

You can now use data cards on the whiteship to go to new locations.

I tried to help.

A few things regarding paperwork:

The last one is my biggest concern. Also, couldn't the copy result in having "black" ink instead of whatever colors were used?

tfw no cboy bf

To extend on what this guy said: If I'm copy-pasting from anywhere onto a piece of paper, all quotation marks and apostrophes become black lines, half the time all 'I's and "'s" become chinese letters, and a few other issues like that which I can't think of off the top of my head.

Quotation marks and the ilk do not work at all on the newscasters.

Pretty cool.
I assume like all shuttles that this will kill things underfoot. Does this lead to the ability to plant sneaky beacons near a target and land an entire ship on top of them to kill them?
How do you make a data card? Swipe an ID on a beacon?

PS, paperwork is fun
FUN

this game needs dungeons that drop loot. maybe raids too

map more away missions :^)

Are we making ss13 into a roguelike now?

It's called fighting any humanish enemy. You get their clothing. Sadly, guns tend to be syndie-firing pin type shit.

If you're a syndicate agent, can you use those guns?

newcops

blew up entire gateway level with new bomb

what code base is this?

github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/29369
Would you?

such an awful idea

I would skip it

Also.

Whatever it is, it's missing a lot of features i like.
Most notably the ability to hold people at gunpoint 'Automatically'

darn when are we switching codebases

isn't that a bay feature?

In this code base nav beacons are unseeable untouchable, and uncraftable. The data cards are for the new map (pic related) with 16 different locations I'm adding, the cards will be part of random loot spawners. Though it wouldn't be hard to make craftable beacons, but it wouldn't be added to this PR.

github.com/chaosyourgod/-tg-station
It's what the official Holla Forums server is using. It's a branch off of an earlier tg station, that refused to merge with upstream, because they didn't like the some new feature they were adding.

github.com/chaosyourgod/-tg-station/pull/45

you mean something you're working on like? killer if so

Thanks, and yes. It's just more stuff for telescientists, and space explorers

we really need that kinda thing so yeah nice job man and thank you very much for your work so far.

My one man crusade for indentation has expanded. Huzaa.
Funnily, in researching indents, there was already a religious war going on in the programming community concerning their use. jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html

What an abomination. Also tiberium spriting progress. How does it look? I'm pretty proud of the handheld shatterer, but the edge shading could use a touchup.

That was such an awful feature. I can't believe it took that long to be removed.
What's the point of having an instant stun/shoot button? It removes any chance of escape by the victim unless they're high on meth and can cheese really well.

I get that it's nice for high-ping players, of which I am, but it is worse when put in the hands of low-ping players.

What you do is clone some code, change numbers/remove lines at random and see what changes when you interact with the object.
If you ever need help, go to Rizon #coderbus.
They're a bunch of faggots, but they're helpful faggots when they're not LARPing.

so what I'm looking at is to make this text much more larger, just as a band aid fix

I'm liking it, you should totally gif the handheld shatterer and slime though

Oh god what the fuck are you trying to do?

Make the text as obvious as getting tator mid-round.
Large blue text (maybe not blue as that's OOC colour) and a couple of highlighted red words that make it clear you're owned by NT again.

Spaces work when you have fixed width fonts and want to use it for formatting or display.

For programming, or text paragraphs, you want tabs

Assume you are pushing a big reset button and starting SS13 over from scratch. It's not on BYOND and an ideal engine.

What are the two most important changes that get made?

Improve client speed.
Improve server performance.
That's all the game needs to be great once more.

SS14 is attempting to create such an engine, and I will shill for them happily.
The only thing I'm not too thrilled with is their trying to eliminate the grid system and have all stations as free moving systems.

The way they talk about it makes it sound like they want some Star Citizen-tier universe of a million stations, but realistically it will just mean you can pilot a small shuttle around the station, or throw an asteroid at the station.

As soon as they try to fuck around with the core aspects of the game, like changing the tile-based aspects of the game (the above change would keep the same tile system on station, it would only allow the station as a whole to move) I'll drop them, but until then, I'll hang around.
They've got iamgoofball, who is a complete faggot and likely has/does shitpost on here, and he does drag them down when they try to do something incredibly stupid and meme-y.

How does that help in writing in bbcode paper.

Multiple, interactive, floors. Kind of like what we have now, but someone below can toss a wrench out a hole in the roof. This way one can really 'mine' an asteroid. Also getting that wonderful Alien horror of blips on a radar coming down an empty hallway. Three would be minimum.

Actually decent optimizations/framerates/general lack of space lag.
Byond that, I could care less, honestly.

nice

Because whitespace is stripped out (you can't use tab or space characters) you are limited to left-justified text with no indent, OR a center-justified text, again with no indent.

If it allowed multiple spaces or tabs, then it could have better text formatting and alignment of headers, paragraph indents, etc. Additionally, if fixed-width fonts were allowed, spaces would be a good compromise because then you could do eg ascii art or the like. In fact, in that case, you could probably have library computers let you type documents with a fixed font (since pens are supposed to be handwritten)

In fact I know a game that does something like multiple floors already. Gnomoria.
If one did it in 3d it would make things very easy to view on multiple levels, but if one kept the 2d it would need multiple sprites to view the angles of objects.

Yeah, multiple layers on a top-down 2D tile plane is very fucking hard to do. Look at Zelda, for example, and that's just a simple game that makes it work.

Though I remember playing on one server about a month ago before we had this one, maybe it was Baystation? They had a stairwell and you could see the floor below, shit looked nice

Curious what that would be.

You gotta expand the universe and the roleplaying in the game. That's honestly the most important aspect of it since it gives context to everything else, despite being so overlooked.

This means increasing the outside world to more than just the asteroid, expand the number of factions and what they can do to you or you to them, expand the items and mechanics in the game to accomodate for this, etc.

You also gotta expand the basic human mob some more while uniforming some of it's aspects.
As it stands, the code that determines how much damage you cause with a punch or how fast you run is a long series of special cases, all contributing towards a final value that may or may not be used depending on more special circustances.
And in the end, you still have what's essentially a space marine since all your spessmen can do is take damage, run at varying speeds and carry virus\superpowers.

This might not seem that important but down the line when you want to add some new piece of content or you need to balance something else in the game, you'll find nothing to work with in regards to your spessmen so you'll never be able to add more content or fix what you.
This is one of the reasons so many mechanics are tied behind RNG, since there's nothing else to work with.

I feel anymore than 2 floors would be a hassle.
Once you get a big station, then triple it's size, it's a real hassle to find people/organise everything.
Even 2 floors would be for a station half the size of ministation, as otherwise there's just an abundance of empty space, which is hard to navigate and just means tators never get found.

one that uses an actual language and doesn't need IE

WAIT WHAT

well more floors would also allow for smaller stations as well since each department could be spread out much better

SS14 allows for scripting with python/LUA. Anyone can add meme items.
Matter devourer in genetics, if I recall. You can gobble just about anything by holding it (grabs count as the item being in your hand) and targeting your mouth.
As long as the station's size, tile-wise, is the same, I'd be down for it.
But that leads to some hard questions for 2D spess mens, like how does fire work, does it prioritise spreading upwards over downwards?
Does removing walls on the lower floor make the roof, or the floor above it, crash down?
Just adding a 3rd dimension will add a lot more complexity to systems that use maths, like smoke, atmos and bombs. Sure, they can be done, but will it be more resource intensive and just put us back to the same lag as we have now?

Oh, another thing that any SS13 remake needs is multi-threading. Seriously, the server just kills itself by the end of round every time.

Is it a case of lag or network congestion? Usually at the start and end of a round, it lags badly. It claims that each subsystem takes 0.1s or 3.0s to load, for a total time of like MAYBE 6 seconds, but I think that ends up being calculated and then transmitted per player.

Fat people used to be able to do that (but only to monkeys). Dunno if that's what's happening there.
It was a pretty cool murder tactic if you combined Genetics since you leave no body or blood behind.

That'd depend on how fire is represented, but likely it would spread to nearby items, spawning a hotspot or flame on top of them, as well as a larger fire columm over a tile if there's enough of it.
Fire does rise up much faster than down, so the likelihood of items catching on fire would be higher for things above fire.

Eh, not really. The current system doesn't really make distintion on where the mixes it's gonna use to trade are. All you'd change is increase the number of mixes from 4 to 6 which increases the volume but not the complexity of the trade.

A larger station can only be truly justified with 2 things: population and machinery.
Just take a look at the Engine and the Singularity setup. Now imagine if Robotic Fabricators had a somewhat similar setup to actually build anything and that'd make Robotics much, much larger.

that depends on how you do atmos I guess, it could be even worse then

Sounds nice on paper, but you'd either have to have a fully randomised map which will cause lots of problems or have a static map that people metagame.

Once that's loaded, all is well and static. It's once the server has to send out the results of bombs, powernet, atmos etc to every player at the same time that it gets upset.
If you left the game alone with no players, it'd still go to shit as atmos and power eventually fail.

It just sounds needlessly complex.
To add the extra layers means you need to populate them with items and reasons to use the area, and then you need to take into account a cornucopia of problems that will arise.

Just like Koriath's meme systems that require too much thought for what is otherwise simple and efficient, I don't see an urgent need or benefit from the idea.

That's why I suggested one as a blank remake.
Think about it, how many things are broken because they RELY on Z=1? Rev rounds end if the last head happens to wander into the gateway for 2 seconds, for example

But how would adding z1.1,1.2 and 1.3 change that?
The head still leaves one of the station z levels and revs win.
As it is now, you can easily make the Revs not win by a head leaving to the gateway z level; it just hasn't been done as the head is, indeed, abandoning their post by going to the gateway.

Isn't the alien embryo excisable via surgery? Even if it results in a kill, you could do a head or brain transplant…

See:

I was asking in the context of a remake. If you're starting over, you can redo everything. A multi-level map would be very doable in that case.

I'm just wondering, what does the Rev gamemode have to do with this? You can just exclude certain z-levels from changing.
I think you're wanting to reinvent the wheel, but I'm certainly not going to dismiss the idea out of hand.

Medbay is controlled by (((them))), don't fall for the surgery meme.

It was an example of how everything is reliant on the core Z-level to function properly

Not really. There are already examples of multi-layered stations; Citadel, Colonial Marines and Paradise all have them.
You're confusing the lack of multi-tiered stations with the engine's lack of ability and the userbase/coder's lack of want/ability.

if you can trigger a mommi to detonate outside a certain set of z levels then you can likely do it to revs

It's not that everything is reliant on it but rather that you can't expand much more because of that.
As in, you don't need an extra z-level for everything we have now, but there's a lot of pretty neat stuff you could do with extra levels.

One problem for instance is how maintenance simply can't be all connected without completely surrounding the entire station or breaking sections of it into maintenance.
With an extra z-level, you could relegate the entirety of maintenance down below with a few tiles being used to connect the two for ladders and wires.
This would also mean a lot more cleaner space up-top to build rooms without worrying so much about where the wires will pass.

Oy vey I cannot believe you just said that. Medbay is run by upstanding goyi- I mean citizens just like you! This is truly another shoah, pay our reparations.

I know what we should do moshe- I mean tom, we should get all the superpowers and rise up against the eeeeevil bahstahds in security for opressing us.

We meme, and yet I've seen more than a few dozen rounds that devolve into medbay charging for services and running around hoarding every bruise pack in maint.
Ancaps were a mistake.

thanks coderman bill

Memeshots I've found while ghosting about.

I love these. Keep it up my friend!

Someone post in bread when this round is over, been a ghost for the past hour hoping for the thing to end but it's still going, just for the hell of it I guess

we get lots of really long comfy rounds mostly because low pop rounds last so long that actual pop comes in and still doesn't end

I know
Although most don't go for three hours like this one

Become the mouse.
Be the space lag of a thousand squeaks.

we had afew 8 hour shifts before man

Okay, let me rephrase
Most don't go for three hours when there's a decent amount of people on

How many tile floors exist in the game? Is it reasonable to assume more than 255? How many of them are subtiles/variants of another type?

each z-level just about is greater then 500x500 tiles and to that other question I don't really know

32X31 = 992 tiles

That can't be right, I could've sworn it was 256x256, according to the GPS

Woops, just realized most of those are for animations.

Off by one, maps do not include a (0,0) and go to 255.

255 +/-1 is pretty much the same thing, it's a byte x byte for 65536 unique tiles

Yeah. I was just pointing out that it was weird maps start with 1 rather than 0

oh my mistake then

Internally, the probably have the 0th row/col act as an impassible barrier, or something to do with memory management. A lot of older software did that sort of thing.

With a complete disregard for logistics, this is how I'd see multi-Z maps looking

that's actually in theory looking decent

You can always check some of the stations that have multiple z-levels and see how they do it, or even LifeWeb, although that one may not be neither the best source of information or a great example.

The only issue I'd have, visually, is can you look up? If so, I can imagine a FOV limited by light and distance as normal, with you seeing a generic ceiling tile or wall for most places. But you might see a glass ceiling. I don't think you would be able to shift-click examine things on other Z levels, so you'd be relying strictly on visual appearance.

>Hear a thud
>Look up
>Only see a black outline of a character on the glass roof tiles above
>It starts cracking

looking up or looking down would be nice if there was a way of making it work with it being shitty

Someone get Koriath!

Why is it that borgs can deconstruct machines, but we aren't allowed to put them back together?
(((This mob type can't use this verb.)))

they don't have hands and deconstructing doesn't need a hand to do

From what I've seen, stations with multi-z levels don't have much interaction between them. The ladders/stairs are just teleports.

Well, Lifeweb does it.

Depending on what engine and code you'd be using, you'd have to do something similar to this:
Shift the camera to the upper level but still handle vision tests by the mob position and have transparent floor count as a transparent wall.
That way you'd be able to see what's above you by "being there" but nothing around it as your mob doesn't have LOS to it.

Because borgs came much before machine construction and the few that can break them were meant for light repairs around the station, not actually building machines.
It's also because they aren't actually cyborgs but rather robots commanded by a controlled human brain, meaning they lack the limbs to do so.

I remenber playing on Baystation a looooong time ago and blowing up their shard engine, then falling down from the upper floor to it by the hole in it.
It's a bit shitty since it looks like normal tiles only darker, you'd need some kind of overlay on open tiles to mark them as such.

so every player has a "camera" view?

An overlay would be good. Something like sparse, neutral blue slashes, or else a checkboard black that's used elsewhere. But that'd only be for the open tile on your level. The tile below you could also be forced 50% darker as well. A tile two Z levels below would be dark.

Everything is handled by camera views, technically. You can appreciate the clunkiness of this system more when you exit mechs and try to move as fast as possible away from them, easier to check on hacked MULEs as they drop you away from the tile they stand on, it tends to lag the actual "camera" attached to you.

yeah I've seen the issues of it first hand with shit like AI and BlOB

Would it be possible to give the wizard a manabar? The net result would be balanced a bit the same. Just putting it out there cause it would be one thing that could really make our serb stand out among the crowd, mechanically speaking.

But Wizard rounds hardly happen.

Wizards can be spawned without it having to be a Wizard round. It's also possible to adquire magical spells without being a Wizard.

the only thing which pubbies see are massive things like lavaland or gamemodes. the problem with this code base is that we get alot of slight changes or little things added which are more often then not fantastic but since it's not in anyones face they're over looked.

The AI has an entity, the "AI eye" that is what's actually floating around and giving it vision.
Players are something different since there's a Player Object that's moved around but can be bound to mobs and move alongside with them.

Camera terminals for instance move the Player Object to where they are seeing, leaving the mob where it is.

First consider the impact of what you are suggesting.
Ultimately a mana bar vs a cooldown system means that every spell "fights" for the same resource, making some spells worse to be used and others more spammable, like casting 2 Ei Naths in a row or 4 fireballs.

Unless there's something else to mana, like places where it regenerates faster or rituals and artifacts to increase it's charge rate, this change doesn't contribute much, I'm afraid.

Otherwise, Changeling already works with internal chemicals, which is essentially a mana bar so it is indeed very much possible.

So what? Would the server be better with big sweeping changes compared to every other server?
Or should those little things be placed in more accessible places?

ah so that could be used and fixed

as it stands our regulars want changes that aren't broken messes and so that usually means we get little things once in awhile with some fixes here and there which is utterly acceptable given the amount of coders and such who usually help with the server, I could not give a rats ass about pubbies in the least so their opinion doesn't matter to me

No other server lets you drag+drop an entire box of broken light bulbs, an RPED filled with parts or a toolbox's contents to an autolathe to fill the thing with the materials without destroying the container in the process.
No other server lets you get away with maxing R&D by your own with no miners while still being helpful to the crew (if you are even a modicrum of robust).
No other server lets you have combat that isn't centered around simply shooting a 10-second stun at your enemy with total impunity, you have to actually fight to crit or even subdue them if you are not security.
No other server has dank memes for chef recipes, including chemistry mixes by the names 'hotline', 'purple drank' or simply 'firestation red' that actually have their own niche yet legitimate uses.
No other server is as comfy as our own.

This is why i play here.

Regulars don't stick around forever, you always need new blood, especially to expand.
The trick is to pass the culture to a younger generation, but you should never rely on the older users forever.

The first point isn't really a reason anyone would pick this server over another, despite being really nice QoL changes.
The second point isn't actually a good thing, you just invalidate the point of miners cooperating with Science that way.
The third point, I'm actually surprised no other server ever bothered stealing that idea.

Speak for yourself.

Where's Nel? Where's Zaers? Where's Sierra? Where's Annie and the other fags?
There are more videogames in the world to play, there are IRL matters as well, things change and people come and go.
Relying on a core playerbase and expect them to never change is naive and at best it leads to stagnation. Boiling frogs and all that.

Are you guys friendly to new players?

I'm terribly sorry everyone, due to a disagreement between the administrators and Kyron, the disable update will not be on the server.
I do thank you all for sticking with us, and playing our server. Thank you all!

we /comfy/ station

it's a good point, however inorder to pass our culture on we need it not replaced by another

if they're new from here then I'll try to help out as much as I can

I'm sorry, I ment the stamina update. Please forgive me for my mistake.

CKeys are anonymous. You can talk freely with anyone in OOC to learn about the game and get all the help you need to settle.
Most people are not as focused on killing everyone as soon as possible, so there's space for exploring and learning the game.
Do expect funky shit from time to time but don't worry, it's never done with malicious intent (for the most part).

You could have used either worth really, seeing how Disablers still don't work very well because Stamina is still fucked.
At the third shot, making StamDam go to 120, it resets down to 98 on the next tick and the target gets up immidiatly. So if anyone thinks tasers don't stand for long enough (3 seconds), Disablers only "stun" (actually Weaken) for a single tick.

They do slow though, but only on the second shot and it only affects their movement speed, not their delay, so aproaching a Disabler perp with your baton is STILL asking for Disarm spam and have it shoved up your ass since Batons still stun for a long time.

The fuck are you apologizing for? That's the best news I've heard all day.

it's a huge shame too since we were considering the stamina fix part of it at the very least. as I said to him on riot.I wish him the best of luck on his endeavors and hope that the bridge isn't burned entirely.

archive.fo/KfE0S

I couldn't find that one old reaction image of the stickman eating popcorn or whatever and crumbs flying out of his mouth with a mild expression, so have this random one I found instead

Well.
I hope he wasn't the one who was going to look at the paper formatting.

no he wasn't

I'm sorry I blew your arm off Zack. You were a cool guy and I'm sorry that I didn't meet your expectations.
Annie, I know you're a man, but you played a charming female robot. No homo.
Fuck you CMO for being prepared, and fuck me for being unrobust. Have a good night, anons.

Jesus, I was even kinda siding with him on this and thought it MIGHT be a good idea. Hell I thought the people here and on the git there were misrepresenting it all when they could have just pointed to parts of code they don't like, but nah fuck this, if he's going to sperg out like that he can keep his ideas to himself

kyron the metafagget nigger is still around? what in the actual fuck? whatever you guys do with this server don't let that little shit have one millimeter.

kyron is literally ss13 spaceaids, do not talk to him, do not approach him, wear a biohazard suit at all times when interacting with him and for the love of the honkmother, always griff him.

When you have pops as low as 4 fags on the station yet still want to play spessmen with some of the most chill people, you just simply can't be completely relying on mining to be staffed to actually do your job.
You could say "but that's what heads of staff and access sharing are for" but who gives a shit when you can be robust enough to pull it off on your own WHILE helping, rp-ing and having fun with people?

By the way, even with 20+ pop, you still find it rare for the QM himself to go mine even if there aren't miners, unless someone tells someone else to go miner on ooc at roundstart or whatever. Why does nobody go engineer? It's super easy to setup engine as long as you follow the wiki's guide, which is the only thing not outdated.

Make it a book. Library the book. Spam the book in three locations on the station. Now you've destroyed the barrier of knowledge.

Based on I'd say that's the best news I've heard all day.

Jesus fuck, how can a coder be so entitled?

Because they did all the work :^)

I go engineer/ce pretty often but I cant do it every round. It just becomes rote and boring unless you can think of a new autism project that wont get reported to sec by an AI/crewman who has no clue how atmos works.

P.Sure building public gas chambers or permaloops don't get you arrested. Infact, i think reworking the actual temp security cells to be public gas chambers would be looked upon as an improvement by the security staff onboard.
By the way, talking about security, when is the random event G.R.E.Y.T.I.D.E virus gonna be removed? Having all the airlocks bolted open without a single silicon or enginigger onboard who can be arsed to close them makes security useless and prone to looting. **it already gets looted anyways so who cares?*

I always wanted to build a full-on power storage station on maint with like 20 full SMES units for MAXIMUM POWER that could last for days without maintenance and to actually make use of the power overflow from the singloid, but the closest i got to that, meteors landed and ruined everything forever by blowing up solars, tearing through engineering by the gravgen and hitting the PA and destroying a room of 8 SMES units i was building north of engineering.

You can rebuild them :^)

I don't think it needs to be removed as it is very simple to stop it from happening what does need removing or changed is fucking vines

Vines are too easy to stop because of Pete and cargo. There's rarely a threat unless you get bluespace hardened vines.

Can Botany grow them?

That'd take hooouurs though, with all of them hit, i din't even have access to cargo to order more of them. Not to mention the holes on the station, the wiring, the broken SMES units, the singulo prone to dying, the lack of gravity and the other 10 niggers onboard that wanted to leave/restart already. I was a lone engineer on a quest of autism but every adversity told me to just restart because there's no point in pushing it that far.
why din't i type spoilers right? I must be falling asleep.

We can make silicone in chemistry, why can't we apply it to metal sheets and glass to make a placeable solar waferboard?

Botany can put 5u muta into grass to randomly get kudzu. If they use enough 2u into said kudzu and get Potency 100, Yield 12, they get ALL of the vine's abilities, asides from it being able to re-mutate and completely fuck up everyone if you happened to meme the station with explosive-bluespace-rapidlyexpanding-hardened-toxic-spacefaring-aggresive vines. Only thing that can truly fight that is maxcapping the station whole before it eats the universe.

same problems with each event tbh, if no one goes and deals with it then the whole station is fucked

botany can grow them but thank fuck it isn't nu/tg/ code otherwise maneaters would spawn and rape fucking everything

Kyron's idea was alright. Too bad he's a giant babby.

Botany is the strongest and the weakest department in the station. Second only to chemistry staffed with 2 power gamers or Toxins with someone competent and nobombcap.

agreed

Usually when I play it, I just grab one of the bottles of nutrients and put it on some plants, either Zed or Robust Harvest. I forget … does the mutagen reroll its values when you actively apply it?

What about Xenobio with an absolute madman that nobody bothers to check on?

at best you can get life which doesn't do much or a golem army I suppose

We don't have gold slimes that can spawn immortal evil trees anymore? I'm gonna be honest I haven't played in like a year at this point.

they're not immortal, just really hard to kill

Golems are overrated and broken too easily. Slimes are a bit more intrincate, but at the same time Frost chillis and 100potency bluespace tomatoes exist. Gold cores are a huge meme but get wrecked easily by a competent SWATomato squadron. You don't get the benefit of superhealing from light and omnizine that botanists who turned into pods get and you take longer than botany to get all the shit that counters these memes, which already takes frigging hours for botany to produce.

Use Robust Harvest, always. Ez nutriment changes the values every time the plant is ready to be harvested the same way 1u of unstable mutagen does and Zed does the same except it's 2u of unstable mutagen and it permanently reduces the plant's Yield. Robust Harvest doesn't change the plant's values and actively raises Yield, which is a good thing.

Applying 1u or 2u of unstable mutagen affects the plant's stats (Max age before decay, Potency, Max Production, Current Yield, something else i forget) at random, with 1u being fairly mild effects (2-30 stat number changes) and 2u being huge effects (5-50 stat changes). Applying 5u either makes the pests create spiderlings, kills the plant or makes it mutate to another plant, useful for Tomatoes, Soybeans, Ambrosia, Apples, Amanitas, Neetles and some other plants.

Use a beaker (50u) for best results. You have a dispenser with 1000u of unstable mutagen starting in Hydroponics, you can make more in chemistry if needed be.

Can confirmed, I gold slimed a shuttle the other day and got a non hostile xmas tree; also Life in chemistry works too

Interesting. Sandstone blocks come from mining?

You can make sand in botany by applying a spade on a patch of astroturf, which you can get by using grass yield produce on your hand.

I mean the mounds of dirt. I had to use a sandstock block (three of them) to craft it.

I don't understand what you are saying. What's astroturf, the grass tiles with the cows?

To make a SandStone Block, you need to use Sand on your hand or order 50 bricks from cargo (10 cargo points, cheap, rare for it to get ordered anytime). To make Sand, you have to either use a pick or shovel on the asteroid's floor or use a spade on Grass Tiles (AstroTurf). To make Grass Tiles (AstroTurf), you need to use a Grass produce on your hand, which you can get from harvesting Grass in botany.

Is that a better post? I'm kinda getting sleepy now.

I literally did not know this, fuck

For listening and learning something new, you gain knowledge and thus power. Here's another tip: You can robust or help security officers a whole lot easier by producing berries.
Death berries kill people dead, like they're fucking dead now dude if they dare to eat them, and the chemical inside can only be reproduced by Chemistry by wasting their Plasma supply.
Regular berries are simply delicious.
Both can be made into donuts.

Jelly donuts contain a shitload of good chems that heal security officers' brute damage faster than your sorry ass can heal he with bicardine.
Chaos donuts just outright kills them but they never notice the difference and just eat the entire goddamn donut on the box once they get punched once.

it's close to the weekend so the server is going back on the hub

it is your duty to bully the shit out of all pubbies, thank you

ill blow up the whole station at the first sign of a pubbie don't worry.

gods speed

You need high level of pests for that, so grab some SALT since it increases weeds and pests
Of course you can either reach weed level 10 and accidentally spawn some useless mushrooms, or just high enough that you'll mutate the weed instead of the pests, but then you can get kudzu form that

what kind of bird is that

A ruthless killer

i really like it

I found myself trying to do that on another server and realized I can't. It helps switching bags as well and you come to miss it on other servers actually.

Wow

botany without the seed dna shit is rather hard

I thought the point was to spam mutagen until you got the plant you wanted, then worry about the values

The end of this comfy round
was not expected

you don't spam it you have to get the right levels of things and then buffer it with something I forget

You destroyed the transit tube to do this. Next time, crowbar out the stopped pod and drag it to one of the entrances, and drag it onto that to resume function.

no

Never forget MoMMI Nest 2.
Never forget the lone braindead MoMMI survivor.
Never forget the innocent xeno that died from an engine explosion due to fire.
Sorry to the xeno that died, I couldn't find the antimatter jars to maintain the engine once the fire broke out and singularities were fucking things up.

I'm almost done with the shekel machines and would like to ask for opinions ideas first in the thread before I submit the pull request.

SHEKELS AND YOU

The basis idea is that spacecash is now stackable and has an "amount" value. It's a small item you can carry in your pockets and wallets. Sometimes miners find it, some away missions also have it and now cargo can order a "Financial Crate" that costs 100 points and brings 10 stacks of 10 space cash.

WHERE TO GRAB YOUR SHEKELS

At cargo lobby there will be a machine where people can insert items that are deemed valuable to export. These items have an inherent value. Most will be 1 point, some will be more. Upon inserting an item, you are paid the value of it in spacecash (that you then wisely stack with your own and keep safe).
These machines will then accumulate points from the value of items you insert. They go up to the maximum of 100 points.
At anytime, you can eject up to 50 points from the machine to create a parcel. This is required if you want to insert more items.
Parcels are big boxes that can't be opened. The items you put in the machine are actually destroyed to prevent duping and other shenanigans. The only purpose of these parcels is to send them back to centcomm through cargo: they pay out their value in cargo points.

Since engineering doesn't produce anything besides power, that's what they export: they'll get a special machine that requires metalsheets to operate. Upon activation, it generates a large battery (that looks like a gastank) and begins charging it. It might take a while, charges faster the more power is available to it and pops out of the machine when it reaches 100%. This large battery has no other use than simply exporting it for cash. The machine pays out the engineer when the battry fully charges.

WHAT DOTH MONEY

Currently, items that have value are:
This list needs expansion, but I think it's enough to get started. In fact, the whole system could use expansion and further ideas.

WHERE TO SPEND YOUR HARD EARNED SHEKELS

The primary way will be the bar and the kitchen. They'll get two cash registers that can be used to charge for food.
The chef can still hand out food if he's feeling generous anyway.
The registers can also be hacked and stolen for that ghetto robbery feeling.

Chemists will get two Vend-a-Cures that they can stock with pills, bottles, seringes and patches.
A note on this: it's up to discussion and to the admins discretion, but I personally think medics and chemists should not deny healing to people who need it. This Vend-a-Cure machines are for surplus/recreational drugs and people who are not injured but figure they'll be soon and want to stock up on healing items.

Roboticists and R&D will get a Vend-a-Part where they call sell stock parts produced in their department. These will allow aspiring technicians to build their own machines or upgrade the one's they have.

Crew room will get 3 to 5 machines (haven't decided yet) that anyone can take ownership of and then sell… anything really.
It will be like a public market.

Finnaly, if noone else is producing something, I'll be adding an NT-sponsored machine that sells NT merchandise and other assorted cosmetic or slightly usefull items (a list of which I haven't compiled yet).

All these vending machines operate very simply: swipe an IDcard to take ownership. Now everytime you insert a product, you pick a price. If you insert more of the same, it will not ask and keep the same price.
A would-be-client would approach the machine with money in his active hand and click [VEND] to obtain the item in exchange for cash. The money is then stored inside the machine and the owner can re-swipe his ID to retrieve it.
The machines can be hacked by using a multitool. This removes the ownership but takes 25 seconds. After that you can crowbar it to remove the money. This will break the machine and destroy the console screen, one of the components to make it.
The cash registers in the bar and kitchen work in a simpler manner: the chef/barman swipe the ID and then click on it to select a price per food/drink. When someone clicks the machine with a stck of cash, you'll hear a *DING* sgnifying the meal/drink was paid. The chef/barman can then swip the ID again to retrieve the money or, if there's no money, re-set the price.
The registers can be hacked the same way the other vendomats can.

Overall, this idea should give more options for roleplay and be further expanded down the line.

THE LAW, THE FINE AND THE WRONG
Sec officers can and should apply fines for smaller crimes against the station. I'm still thinking about how to make a proper centralized fine computer and then some implements to assist you in charging those fines. Not even sure if it's required.

NEW TRAITOR FROM A NEW LAND
An idea we can implement to demonstrate the concept would be a new traitor: the ZOG Infilitrator.
This antag only starts with 5 telecrystals. His goal is to not only obtain an ID with the same levels of acess as one of the current heads on the station but also to wear some of his items (at least 3) thereby impersonating him and infiltrating the leadership of the station.
To accomplish this goal, the 5 TC are not enough, so the ZOG infiltrator has the ability to feed spacecash to his uplink. For each 100 spacecash, he gets another TC. This means he can go over 20 yes, but for every TC over 20, there's a cumulative 10% chance of him gaining a new mutation: Hooked nose. this means 10% at 21 TC, 20% at 22 TC and so forth, maxing at 100% at 30TC
Hooked nose is a mutation that allows someone to sniff shekels and healhimself. 1 damage point = spacecash.

I'll post pics once I'm finished with the sprites.
I also need to know if someone is editing the map already or not. I really don't wanna add the machines and find 2093482984 conflicts.

Also a minor idea that might prove to be too disruptive: I was thinking of letting genetics clone braindead mobs with a diferent kind of body (always produces a braindead mob too).
This would let genetics and surgery harvest organs that could then be exported.
It might however make genetics busy and disurpt normal gameplay. Opinion?

Isn't the whole exporting items through cargo thing already in null-/tg/

Kinda, you can export plasma, seeds and traitor documents. As far as I can see in the code, there's nothing else in it. And that just pays out to cargo, not to the player providing the items.
The parcel machines are meant to give cargo more points but also give players immediate tangencial rewards.

So is the chef the one putting the food in the vendor station? If so, this seems very easy to power game and make food either WAAAAY to expensive, or only handing it out to certain people.
Can sec officers and such override personal vendors? I fear the ramifications of selling weapons and guns. If sec can't break into it in an easy legal way to remove contraband, that would be a very easy trap to set because you either have to remove the gun slowly and risk get attacked while your back is turned, or risk the weapons being taken by some murder happy assistant.
This seems like it could be interesting if done right, but I'm very weary of it.

Look at those files. Any of them.
github.com/tgstation/tgstation/tree/master/code/modules/cargo/exports

Well, it's not like the chef gains from overpricing food. People can still eat from vending machines, they can order food from cargo, the public garden can grow fruit quite easily, etc…
And what's the point of charging 9000$ for a burger if noone has the money to buy it?
I expect that situation to fix it itself through normal free market laws.

Yes, but: github.com/chaosyourgod/-tg-station/tree/master/code/modules
We don't have ANY of those things.
And it's not hard to do what they did. It's just not very interesting. Cargo gets points, the other players get fuck all. So if I make a Mech, I'm gonna use it for myself, not export it for no gain. And I'm not gonna make a second one because I'm busy stomping around with my mech.
What would the be the reason to hand it over to cargo? Trading for a pizza crate?

Oh right, forgot to reply about the sec stuff.
I can make an override on it (people with sec acess including captain can just empty out machines) but the whole idea is to make the system flawed aswell.
For instance: I didn't include ATM's or let you store your cash in your ID. That's to allow people to steal from each other, to break vending machines ghetto style and what not.
It's intentionally not safe.
A sec officer finding a weapon for sale would have to remove it himself, yes. But that would be an elaborate well thought out trap for the antag, and that's kinda cool. It rewards thinking outside of the box and beats "lel, I emag into the armory and grab all the lasers" any day of the week.

It's time to test those ancap theories and see if they work, or if they set the station on fire!

It's up to the sec officers if they want to control it or not.
I think selling weapons would be a great idea.
An armed population is a well educated population.

And even if they do at least you didn't break the NAP.

If anything, we'll atleast get som NAP memeshittery for a few rounds to laugh about.
I'll put it on hold for now, let people discuss the idea over the weekend.
I also need to play more later today for inspiration.

This is completely retarded. A chemist would grind up a hotpocket laying around and then hand out a billion nutrient pills for free. Almost every department can make their own food in one way or another, the bar area is just a hang-out place.
Also, HOLY FUCKING SHIT KILL YOURSELF KORIATH. NO ONE wants your retarded (((ideas))), and this is one of the stupidest yet
Off yourself unironically you autistic narcissist moron

Well, that was rather hostile. :^)

You seem to ignore criticism or anything reasonable, so I assume the only way to discuss with you is to sink myself to your level of conversation- a whole lot of asshurt, crying, impotent anger, and cursing like an impudent child when you don't get your way. See . How about this, lad. Give us a single reason why we'd ever want this change. What's the benefit? That was rhetrocial- there is none. It's a change, not a fix, of gameplay for the sake of change. Fuck off.

You do realize that in admins told him to fuck off, and he said he didn't want to code for the server anymore, right? So what makes you think this is still him? Not to even mention that every post between your first post at him and his original post on the idea was him talking about taking criticism and seeing how people felt about it. Please take a break from the computer and calm down! It's quite obvious that kyron/koriath isn't doing anything for the server anymore.

But that's not Koriath, otherwise he would not be coding for us until we hand him apology and energy bar.

Not me doing that.
My two bits about the whole stamina thing:
It's fucking retarded to have the boxing gloves in-game dealing 5-8 stamina damage and then complain about punches dealing 5 fixed stam damage. He had a point there.
Boxing gloves are more for sport, so I'd replace them with a 20% chance of weaking someone for a couple seconds.
The rest of the thing, I dunno. He didn't code soda regenerating stamina like I told him to, for instance.

The admins could at least take the stamina >100 fix, it's what, 2 lines? That would help security officers.

And you are using one failed (and slightly dumb project) to complain about another one without making any real critic about it.
What's wrong with spacecash? What's wrong about vending machines that operate on spacecash and the players can stock?
It's all that is fam, no need to go full assblast USA on the thread.
Thought, I do appreciate the compliment where you really think I can work one two diferent projects at the same time.
I know I'm industrious and a very hard-worker, but noone recognized it until today :^)
Thanks fam, ya da best.
Nah, I'm a lazy piece of shit. I ain't coding coins and shit, and the whole "cargo parcels" was the best idea I could come up to inject spaceshekels into the station.

I'll forsake the apology if you give me that energy bar :^)

/vg/station tried implementing an in-game economy and nobody uses it because it's a pain in the ass that not even the roleplayers bother with. So why don't we just bring this to it's logical conclusion and just leave it out. If it gets added it'll be used for a few rounds and then left by the wayside because it really doesn't add anything to the game. It'll become bloat to the code, just sitting there doing nothing. It would also be a public test of code produced by the other Kyron, which Kyron Prime will use to endlessly bitch about here.

This idea can only lead to good things

i just gotta say, this drama over ss13 code and contributions is bretty funny

Because in /vg/, money works like this

Imagine that instead of paying for shit like this, you pay with metal sheets. You can click to split the stack, or you can click on something with them and if you have enough, it will auto-deduct from your stack.
That was the core effort: to make it as fast as possible.
The only draw about the whole thing? If you wanna carry money, it's gonna take one of your pockets. But then, the wallet becomes a good item because it takes your ID AND money into the ID slot.
That's pretty much it. And in any case, it's highly optional. You deal with it if the other player wants to play around with spacecash. If you're a cook that just wants to cook random stuff, you can. Just cook and place on table, same as always. If you wanna play with spacecash you got an option there, and the other player isn't fucked out of it because he also has a way to get cash himself. Or maybe he doesn't want to play with it and just gets a donkpocket. It's a decision up to every player.

Also: /vg/ has money and the only thing you can spend it on is cosmetic shit that isn't worth it. With this idea, a traitor could put up an e-sword for sale :^)

Gets funnier the longer you stick around.
Give it a few months and you'll have to code some new sides.

mfw my dumb oreo memeshit gets accepted but stuff that's potentially beneficial causes huge drama

I'm for testing it if only so I can kike people.

autism.org.uk/about/behaviour/preparing-for-change.aspx
This article should explain the major dificulties about implenting anything bigger than a meme item :^)

Would there be a way to track transactions? A paper trail that the Detective could follow that leads him to the tator selling contraband?

No problem, Kyron.

actually one of my first OC memes, apologies if meme is shit
do not steal

You mean like recipes and shit?
Nah. I mean, sure the machines could log transactions, but I haven't thought about that.
I saw someone changing shit on Paper BBcode but I haven't really used it all that much besides copy pasting some forms from the wiki to annoy people.
I suposed I could let the machine keep a log of transactions and then spit them out. It's easy enough to make.

It's the little things :^)

The way it works with Koriath is, every time he fucks up, he pretends it was his 'brother' Kyron.
Reality is, they're the same people, of course, and Koriath still really wants to shill his shitty ideas.

"Dumb oreo memeshit" doesn't change the game drastically. Much easier to accept, vs poorly implemented stamina damage, or economy worse than /vg/'s lot.

Lmao
And you don't even need the silvercoin, you can just hack them.
How is something that lets you set up a small bomb multiple times (once per machine, there's over 20 snack machines) with a beaker and an ingniter not something that changes the game drastically?

I got an idea. I'll go into the server. I'll get as many oreos as I can and blow them everywhere.
When the BWOINK comes, I'll just tell the admin: "chill my dawg, it's just dumb oreo memeshit, it doesn't change the game drastically".
For the record, I think the oreos shit is hilarious, but your post just makes me wanna link you to and hope you can heal from the crippling autism that makes you so buttfrustrated.
Maybe if you choke on a dollar bill, lmao.

Transaction logs would be great. Something that could maybe be altered via an emag. A tator puts up contraband and alters the log to make it look like another crew member put it up or fake a transaction entirely. Something that the people who actually use the Sec records can work with.

well I mean, if someone wants blackpowder desperately and doesn't want to be seen hacking every vending machine, they could just build a chem dispenser or break into chem or start as chem

Making chem dispenser:
Breaking into Chemistry:
Getting oreos:
when you compare cost & risk, hacking the 20'something vendomats is far easier and far more sneakier. Plus, it gets either science or the chemist lynched.
shekel mechanics atleast give the players the choice to say "no, fuck you" and take shit by force/give it out anyway
Try saying "fuck no" to an explosion, not on the internet but in real life and see what happens motherfucker.
Joking aside, the oreos are fine because obtaining them is just the first step. Delivery and processing take a bit longer.

I dont think ive ever had someone question me for breaking into chem honestly, thought this server is pretty lax and nobody plays sec

I see motherfuckers are getting lax again and the tattor tots are having an easy time.
This weekend will be shitter-hunting time for me then.

Alternatively, simply being cargonia will net you a chem disp board. Oh, and of course, you could be an engi, and make research to get the chem dis boards. Not to mention you could always simply request the board. If you're a barman, or chef, or even a botanist, you're likely going to be believed when you say it's "for recipes".

I do agree that it probably shouldn't be hack-to-get-oreos, though. But, keep in mind, hacking is a pain without gloves.

if not from hacked vending machines, from where else? it's only from getmore machines too

From what I understood, it was supposed to be from coined machines.

o.k so you've made the production of cash a thing but if you really expect people to use it what so ever for things currently on the station then quite honestly you don't get how people play this game, if people actually rp'd more then they do then sure your idea would be perfect but as it stands our server is light RP which is both a blessing and a curse since we do get alot of issues with ooc in ic and meta knowledge shit as well as power gamers who bitch about the lack of rp as they steal the spare every round but that's much better then making the game much more slower then it honestly needs. so yeah I expect no one to really follow with this and to just like usual steal everything they need because that's still the easiest method and the easiest methods are always much more efficient and quicker.

if you gave everyone a not uplink which you insert space cash into which can then be used to teleport or ship items of which you can not get any other way and that are useful then you'll find that people would actually use money and would follow in your cash production system even if alittle.

they can it's called paper and a pen

just as soon as space cash becomes useful which your other system doesn't make it so

I did apology to him on his riot hang out before he went full fuck you pay me but I got no rely

we were wanting to and we're still sort of wanting to but with kyron telling us to go fuck our selves we don't want anything of him.

this tbh

that just means no one will go along with it

I said before, our codebase is made up of lots of little shit because larger things need to be 100% accepted and it usually never is because those projects take a long time and servers don't tend to last that long, an issue which wont be on our server.

that's because we're on fairly low pop more often then not and so not every department is staffed thus actually when people see others breaking into a place it's usually more to be productive and helpful rather then not, still though powergamers would just break into anywhere they want

This is funny and sort of hypocritical. I could go to the git, see the two lines, and make a commit that just so happened to be identical. Don't be cowards and just take the fix. Or are you going to revert all the contributions he ever made out of some misguided principle?

I put em in the hacked item list for vending machines, so any method that would make syndicakes available would do the same for oreos.

I don't know tbh, our stance is code is code if it's good then we'll have it but if it's ideafagging shit only the coder wants then we don't really want it.

you're right that we should just nigger it and we were looking at doing so but at the same time neither of us want to fucking deal with his shit anymore.

we're not going to revert his other contributions, I forgot to say

I just don't see why we should leave something unfixed when the fix has been presented.

you're not wrong what so ever, if someone wants to sort it then we'll see about merging it

I'm lmao'ing @ you

Well, that was a rather big post just to say "it's an idea but it doesn't have much use or things to do with it so it's not going in".
I'm pretty sure I said that 3 diferent times when I presented it: I'm not an ideas guy, I just make the core system and ask other people how to flesh them out.

Eh, wathever. i gotta concede that you are right.
Here's the bastardized non-finished code if someone wants to finish this some other way:
pastebin.com/MMrrUhfN
pastebin.com/GwgsDSwN

I'll request that you at least add the spacecash changes because right now, they're pretty much coloured bricks with a label on it. Having more than one stack of cash is a pain.

On another note: is the server open to pubbies yet? I wanna bully some fags.

n-no billy

I don't think all our players play like niggers since pic relied to usually the reason why as while we do have players we're not exactly a full station yet.

I didn't intend for you to give up, merely to consider a means of using space cash that can't just be circumvented easily.

could you PR the space cash? I don't see any issues with that so long as the code is tested and it works

doesn't seem like it is yet, it should be soonish when 8ch gets on

Unforunately, pic related is more a result of reality than anyone's personal preference. Sucks to have no power because there are four crewmembers and none of them are in any way related to engineering.

Pic *related was years ago. Half the people that did that shit are gone.

Maybe that's why I asked about it in the thread? Because I couldn't think of a way?
This thread is usually packed full with ideas guys. Have a little patience man, that post has been up for a few hours. Let them show up over the weekend.

Christ almithy mate, it's the whole spacecash.dm file there. Just copy and paste over what you have and it works out of the box.
I know you don't wanna code, but if you're in any sort of admin position, you really should learn the basics of the code. Just enough so you don't varedit someone's brain out or something.

it's why alot of people don't care about break ins on our server

it's not like it's a bad thing when there's not alot of people on

we're past the bump limit, may have to repost it

I'm just worried that I may fuck it up tbh

And I'm not gonna make a pull request.
You KNOW what's gonna happen mate.
Hint: this >>13161392 times thirty.
Ffs, I stopped posting in these threads for nearly from months last december, I came back when someone else told me we had a serb and people were still discussing KoriathKode.
It's take it or leave, grow a spine and either say "no thanks, our server doesn't need this" or tell players to shut the fuck up, it's going in and it's going hard.
Fence-sitting in this situation just lets the playerbase shit itself up in flames.
I like spacecash. I like selling pens and tricking people into thinking they're parapens.
Even when spacecash was dumb and useless. I woke up one morning and thought "fuck it, why not add machines where I can sell shit and then buy from other machines where other people are selling their shit".
The clown wants to set his own private auto-cloner for suicide related shenanigans? He just needs to buy the stock parts in R&D.
You want 1000u of mindbreaker to punish a lizard? The chemist got you covered.
Or stop by crewquarters and oh shit, someone is selling red slime extracts, hot dang.

It's not really hard to use your imagination and figure the kind of shit you can make with just the two machines I posted. And for me that's enough.
If it's not enough for you, then come up with more shit for it. I don't even mind coding. What I mind is the "more" mentality. It's enough, it needs "more". More what? Who knows. It's a mistery. But wathever it is, it needs more the same way departures needs plasma in the air.
A fuckton aparently.

Point is, the code's there, I'm bored and wanna bully pubies. Open the floodgates and let me have fun with the punching gloves, OH GOD Kyron shouldn't have said anything about the 5-8 stam damage, I'm gonna be a complete shitter with that. That can fuck over people in some many ways and I intend to explore them ALL

Can't wait

Yep. See, the trick about proper jewishness is that you can't put up random crap for sale. People HAVE to want to buy your stuff.
Supose some misteriously contracts a totally random cause of "OH GOD, I'M FULL OF MINDBREAKER". Now, you're the chemist which means you're an innocent hard-working employee of Nanotransen and had no blame in that incident. But you can take the initative to look out for your fellow spessman's health. And since you had a nose for business, you already stocked up some synaptzine that the fellow go- I mean co-workers will glady take of your hands for a modest fee to reward your hardwork.

it's not up to me to decide what our player base wants, so no I'm not fence sitting as such as letting a decent consensus actually happen via talking about it on the thread. if some people aren't going to listen to others and just repeat the same shit then obviously people are going to bully them because they get so fed up with the other person that it no longer becomes worth it to really try.

the issue over all is ARPE it only works when others ARPE so if you're putting in a system which relies on ARPE on a server where it's light ARPE, it's going to be over looked, this is why I suggested adding a method which can't be over looked so easily. also people can use money for RP anyways there's space cash on the station and there is ways of getting it. you don't really need a machine for it when you could just put your stock in a locked closet and charge people in person

Then you get people complaining about "forcing content on the players". The first anonymising code was put forth, that was the number one complaint.
Well, then my worker here is done.
Tell one of your codemonkeys to ctr+c, ctr+v the spacecash.dm and we're ready.

wrong, the number one complaint was that only attention whores wanted it so that they could get away with their shit actually.

our codemonkeys are busy, what's your reasoning for wanting someone else to PR it?

Oh, I forgot one thing
LMAO
Mate, how much did you play on /tg/station?
I played on that place as soon as the goon code was leaked. The number one problem of that place is the 'DIVERSITY' of players preventing any sort of consensus forming. No matter what adition, no matter how small a change, the more players you have, the more divided your playerbase becomes.
I'll give you an example. The clown nowadays spawns with a banana. It wasn't always the case. Someone once had the idea that, since the clown is all about banana peels, he should start with one. This was MASSIVELY discussed back then. A fucking banana.
Then the banana was added and guess what: clowns didn't eat it and peele'd people right away. They went to the garden, grew a bazzillion of them with the robust clowns mutating it for max potency to increase stun time and that enraged well over half their playerbase to the point the starting banana was changed to have 0 potency so he could never mutate it to have more. And this in turn upset all the people that liked clowns slipping people with giant freaking bananas.

/tg/station is a fantastic example of a codebase trying to accomdate too many playerbases at the same time. They even divided them, murderboners were on sybil and areepeers got basil. Then murderboners noticed that you can't really grief in a station full of griffons so they cosntantly raided basil until the basil areepeers took refugee in sybil.
Repeat this switcheroo for a couple of years and you have a basic understanding of recent /tg/history.

The only times they had new content was when an admin said "fuck you, it's going in".
It gets tested, apraised by the admins and tweaked/removed accordingly. It's NEVER done with player input for a simple reason: players don't know what they want. Pic fucking related.
Steve Jobs was a colossal hipster faggot but he knew his shit when it came to marketing. If a market is given what it "wants" everyday, they'll never want anything new. It degrades, it "inbreeds" and degenerates. Case in point: the whole Call of Duty series. And battlefield. Ah heck, all AAA shit nowdays. It's giving people what they want. Over and over and over again until they get sick. But they don't because they grow used to it.

You need to take risks from time to time. Sometimes it doesn't payoff, sometimes it does. Doesn't mean you go in blindly if you ever accept a pull request from someone without first reading the changed files I will personally slap you
You acess risks versus the potential benefit and decide if shit is worth it or not.
Waiting for player input is like waiting for women to decide what dress to buy: they take ages and in the end bitch and moan anyway that it's the wrong one.

What the fuck. Attention whores were the most penalized by it. They literally CAN'T be attentiont whores anymore. Sierra made it optional because some people wanted to keep their Ckey, they didn't want it forced on them.

I'm lazy and haven't even forked your codebase yet, just downloaded it.
It's a file. A single file mang. Who the fuck makes a PR for a single file. That's like shooting flies with an Howtizer.

our station is not nu/tg/station anyone who thinks this needs to stop considering it as such as soon as possible.

we've got a small numbers of regs who play that know what they want out of the game and they're also not willing to put up with ideafagging code, they'll take what's good out of it but not at the cost of dealing with the rest that they don't want.

there's a difference between taking a risk from some guy who thinks his ideas are perfect no matter what and expects people to just accept it based on the fact that he coded his ideas and people just talking it in the hopes that he'll get it through his head that maybe it does need changing and that other peoples ideas are good.

this is not directed at you, just an example

what's the rush? good features, these things take time. if people aren't willing to wait then why do they play at all?

gitgub is a almost convoluted fuckery of a site

pubblic is going up as well as compiladging

All in all, perfect silicon murder.
Damn, I haven't murderboned in years, shit feels nice. Hoping for traitor so I can stetchkin everyone now.

Map fixes, editing admins.txt and motd.txt are examples of PRs that involve a single file. Basic examples too.
Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

map fixes are diferent. It's one big ass file with tons of changes.
admins.txt and motd.txt don't need PR's.
They're set up to be ignored by the Git repo and are changed through shell acess.

Or… you guys didn't set that up?

I've got it set up for my fork but it was a pain in the ass getting it to work based on the instructions on the /tg/ page because it made everything you tried to push go straight to /tg/'s master repo rather than your own.
No clue if these guys have it set up but I have doubts.

Well, if they didn't, it's an amateur job.
But hey, fuck it, I'll take anything at this point. A serb with 8ch folk is good enough for me.

Our server's main bulk is a medium RP lot. That is, none of the typical 'HA HA NICE ROUND GUYS FUCK THIS GAME AMIRITE?' trash, which is usually found in low-RP shit.
At the same token, we all are the types who know how to do everything. This is more out of necessity, in any case. Can't tell you how many fucking times I've had to wire solar as miner.

You can order anti-matter engine to build something that will most likely explode spectaculary and yet you don't.
fucking scrub.

I'll gladly build a singulo from scratch, though, if I could work the APCs.

yes I'm a amateur, that's why I've been trying to get as many people as I can who actually know what they're doing, what's your excuse?

I'd really like to say that too

SERB LIVES
Bring on the pubbies!

I'm lazy.
You're gonna start banning people who critize the server now?

Nah, chaos fucked up the stickybans. Give it 5 minutes goy.

ffs tbh just kill me

I wish I could friend, but I can wait for your crippling disease to do that for me.

SS13 with a wireless mouse is fucking suffering.
Never try it folks.

Anyway, Chaos, the subsystem that's lagging out is this thing (pic related).
There's two things that might have gone wrong with it.
that "is_afk" proc might be borked, but I doubt it.
Or the sql database is fucked (or slow, I'm no expert in sql, just got a friend here saying me sometimes acessing an sql database can be slow).
If you can't figure out how to fix it, you test removing the sybsystem (like, just delete the file "server_maintenance.dm" or remove it from the include list in dream daemon.
alternatively, disable sql on the config.
Plenty of other things depend on sql, so I'm not sure how many things you'd be breaking that way.

forgot pic

Disabling the inactivity kick entirely would just require commenting out a line in the config and not require messing with the database at all.

Eh, or comment out the whole file anyway.
See, this thing only checks every few minutes if people have been afk and then kicks them out.
I'm not seeing a reason to keep it.

No wait, the config?
Nah. You can comment the "kick_inactive" bit, and it doesn't do that first check up there.
But look again, the "if(config.sql_enabled)" runs after that. You'd also have to comment out the sql_enabled part, disabling. Ctrl+F'ing the code against "sql_enabled" brings up a ton of shit that uses it.
Try simply removing the file from the compile (it's that tickbox in draemdaemon).
In theory, the Master Controller searchs for subsystems to initalize and won't find this one so it's gone.
In practice, something else might need it and then spit out some errors, in which case you just comment everything after that datum declaration, making the datum absolutely empty.

got it, thanks for your help in this

But wow, when I changed clothes and didn't want people to see me, my heart was POUNDING. I hoped the grenade would kill him and it did. Felt good.

Koriathcode™ everyone.

I didn't get cloned, I got resuscitated - but good job (though tbh I tabbed back in just as you threw it)

Fuck

Oh yeah I forgot to report something

God fucking damnit
One point from core relocation
Librarian has shit access
And god damn did getting blob later than start surprise me

Sort of cripple from start, blobbed next to fuel

not automatically, Blobs can control growth though. I glomp anything remotely dangerous looking, especially things brought near. That destroys/consumed entities

Before this thread is dead, I want to tell you faggots of a map i'm making.
Please forgive the shitty concept art, since I am still working on it.
So the station lorewise will be a trading station inside an asteroid. The deeper in the asteroid however is the rest of the departments working undercover inside of the asteroid.
Hallways and tubes haven't been made in the concept art yet, and the red line is where the asteroid will generally be.
I'm to ask for criticism and ideas on regards of the station.

I fucked the last line, what I meant to say was that I am asking for criticism and ideas on the station.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

Thanks friend, I will be making it less shit.

Places where ships dock should be in shielded craters, not far out piers. Interesting design regardless. Would love to see people congregate in truly leisure designed locales rather than medical. Dorms in the center works great that way.

The reason why the ships don't dock in shielded craters is because they would hit the asteroid when they try to leave.

Is that a robot? I can't tell

My sides

OKAY THAT SING WAS NOT ME

Shitcurity.
And don't even start with >LOL U GOT ROBUSTED, you were powergaming and making it unfun for everyone

BAN HE!

Terrible.

Sec bot > janiborg

I don't think I actually broke into anywhere that round.
I went into tool storage and poked around my maint tunnels

I was mad because I didn't DO anything traitorous that round, and it was like 6 people, I wanted a comfy round

Oh well, I'm sorry friend.
apparently some nigger broke into it.

new round

Thanks bruh

new thread