Favourite hack and slash games?

Recently started playing pic related for the first time (also only game in series I've played) and really enjoyed it.

Feel like I'm missing out on a whole genre of games I didn't really care to look at before, I guess because I felt they looked a bit arcadey and shallow.

Anyway, I'm interested on what you guys have to say about some other series in this genre I'm looking to try out after I beat DMC 3, namely God of War, Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden.

Are there any other series I should look at? Are there any games in these series I should start with or avoid?

I should mention I also plan to get the DMC trilogy to play through 1 and 2, and then look at 4 and the reboot.

Ninja Gaiden Black and II are GOATs. don't touch DmC, but 4: SE is solid. Malicious is also pretty fun if you have a PS3/4/Vita, or can run it on the RPCS3 (sp?).

Good, cheers user.

For ninja gaiden, do I get sigma or some other version? So many of these games have rereleases it's difficult to keep track.

Yeah I have one.

I personally really didn't like Sigma. It grabbed new weapons and such from NG2, making it feel too same-y to me. The different director butchered the feel of the game, to me. The Rachel missions are also TERRIBLE. They are boring rehashes of levels you mostly just got done playing, except now you have to use the slow-as-shit warhammer. Unless you have no other option, I'd avoid NG Sigma. It's only redeeming quality are the visual upgrades.

I suggest giving the platinum Transformers game(Devastation) a shot. It's kind of samey and has it's flaws, but it's pretty damn fun and it mixes shootan, drivan and slashan pretty good.

Do you have an xbox hueg or can you wait for emulation never ever? Black.
Otherwise Sigma since that's you're only option.

Black is 360 BC; might also still be available on XBL. I bought a 360 literally just to play the best versions of this series. no regrets

Seems like it's £6.75 right now on XLBA. I do have a 360.

I'm guessing it's worth that easily?

Not hearing much about god of war or bayonetta

I'm not far into Bayo(it's summer and my toaster overheats while I'm playing it) but it seems very stylish and the type of I'd love to replay into 100% completion.
GoW from what I remember was pretty easy mainly because compared to DMC most of your attacks were large circular AoEs designed around stunlocking and decimating large groups of enemies, and I'd be lying if I said I remember any of the bosses from the first two games. Two things stand out in mind about the games though, one being some pretty hot babes and tiddies, two being the challenges you unlock post game completion which unlock skins and modifiers for NG, those challenges were easily the highlight of the game.

Has anyone here tried Marlon Briggs, the game where you play as Nigger Kratos?

Yes, it's fun but short, and no tiddies.
I also remember it having a vertical shump level

yes
as said, pretty easy on normal. definitely start on Hard to get the maximum effect, move to God mode if you really liked it. I'd say 1-3 are at least worth one playthrough. PSP titles are kind of meh and avoid Assscentshun at all costs. they shit the bed with prioritizing cinematics and set pieces.

It's just resident evil retooled to be an action game. The results are as awkward as it sounds.
Isn't that like diablo? That's what it used to be referred to.

Devil May Cry and Bayonetta are Stylish action games, not Hack and Slashers.

I liked Darkstalkers

I loved pic related. It suffers from the typical Platinum pitfalls of occasionally hokey hitboxes and Kamiya's QTE fetish, but the combat's got so many unique quirks to it that it feels that much more satisfying to pull off long juggling combos than most other hack n slashes/stylish action/whatever you want to call them games. To set up something as simple as a juggle, you typically have to
Stuff like that and the way the enemies make you use your head are my favourite things about it. The turtle guys were a pain in the ass to fight until I remembered that using the fist makes you immune to fire based attacks and found out that you could knock them on their back if you parried their stomp and then used a weapon other than the hammer. I love how puzzle-like the bosses and enemies can be in that way.

Hard mode (I forget what its equivalent is called) and above is definitely where the GoW games shine. Combat wise they're pretty simple until GoW3, which allows for a lot more creativity than its predecessors due to the much smoother weapon switching system, the greater number of weapons and the unique magic attacks that each weapon has. Never completed the PSP ones, but the multiplayer of Ascension was imo the best part by far (the game felt designed for multiplayer first and singleplayer second if you ask me) and I'm assuming it'd be dead now so it's missable. Had some good ideas and memorable moments (and I appreciated how it went for more obscure parts of Greek mythology like the Furies), but it's weaker than the original three games overall.

I think both the Bayonetta games are great, just don't go into them expecting DMC4 level complexity in regards to combat or anything. I'm not sure whether I like Bayo 1 or 2 better than the other. I really appreciated how few QTEs 2 had (I can't remember any that were obligatory apart from the button mashy ones at the end of boss fights, which afaik don't have a fail state), the higher variety of weapons & enemies and its much smoother framerate. The first one's boss variety was considerably better though, even if I didn't like the higher amount of QTEs they had. 2 has way too many humanoid bosses that dodge every single fucking attack you throw out if you're not in witch time. Its version of infinite climax is far better than 2's as well and I'm assuming issues with its framerate have been fixed by the PC release. I'd recommend them both.

Ninja gaiden on pc never ever

Stop this.

I can't say much on GoW, but Bayonetta is a fantastic game, definitely worth playing. Comparing it to Devil May Cry, it focuses more on overall movement and fluidity as opposed to the technical finesse that DMC 3 and 4 favor, but the moveset available is still large and varied enough that any situation has multiple optimal strategies. In that sense, it is much more beginner friendly, though the systems are well developed enough as to still reward mastery. Bayo 1 has some rough spots, mostly in the bullshit qte-or-die segments, but those are infrequent enough that they don't ruin the game.

all better names than "hack and slash" which is more reserved for gauntlet and diablo.

Temco for fucks sake please, I'll take all your shitty ports of my favorite musou games if it means the trilogy gets a decent pc port with modding support.

Also is Ninja Blade worth a try or is it nothing like NG?

Stylish action game was actually used by CAPCOM to specify the genre.

God of War is much more casual of a series. Not that you can't enjoy it but it doesn't quite stack up. You started with one of the best games in the genre and the only game that's of a similar caliber is Ninja Gaiden Black. Other essentials are God Hand and Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden 2 is pretty good as well. I don't have a Wii U so I can't speak for the quality of Wonderful 101 or Bayonetta 2 but if you have a Wii U you may as well get them.

Pic related.

Does this mean the trash term "character actiom" can finally die forever.

What the fuck is actiom? It sounds like some expensive plant extract your mother puts in her smoothies for unclear health benefits.

Stylish Action is how capcom itself described DMC series, which is pretty fucking accurate.
Cuhrayyzee is a meme word Holla Forums came up with, that describe the emotional response you get from this games. It's not nearly as accurate, as people tend to swipe musous and senran kagura game in there too, but usually anons top these faggots.

Now spectacle fighter is something you would use for air dashers like guilty gear and MVC, but not fucking 3rd person action game. Where the fuck it came from who the fuck uses it I don't know.

Character action is even more pants on head retarded term that means nothing. As opposed to action games where you don't play as a character? What? Crash bandicoot is a character action game by that logic.
I'm fairly sure some dumb jewtuber invented it and his or her drones spread it across the internet.

Hack&Slash is a Diablo clone.

avoid DMC2
and no matter what you do. NO MATTER WHAT.. avoid DmC: DmC like the plague
chop your thumbs off so you cant select it.

At least it's an actual reference to a popular game in the genre as opposed to a generic term pulled out of some reviewer's ass.
Yeah, "character action" was Two Best Friends Play and "spectacle fighter" was Zero Punctuation.

So can we ban faggots who use those two?
I'm not against cuhrayzee, I'm just not fine when people use it for whatever the fuck they like, and then newfags parrot them and in the end it means nothing.

DMC is fun as heck. Play 1, 3 and 4. 2 can be skipped since it's mediocre.
MGR:Revengeance is fun too, fast paced and rewards solid understanding of fundamentals.

God Hand is a must. It has a highly customizable and very rewarding combo system, and it has an adaptive difficulty system so the game gets harder as you start kicking ass. Also pic related.

I would also recommend Shinobi on the PS2. It has less combos than most other games like it, but the TATE system keeps you on your toes all the time since your sword will eat your soul if you don't git gud. Beware of dogs.

Rewards extensive knowledge of how to press X and Square to activate the busted dodge move.
FIFY

Someone mad he couldn't into S rank?

Noted.

I hate that kind of mechanic. I know lot's of games smuggle this feature in subtly but I want the difficulty to be fixed.

So about Ninja Braidu?

No, this is straight up. You kick ass, you get a ping on a constantly onscreen meter and the enemies start fighting harder. There's nothing sneaky about it, it's more like a combat score that attempts to manage itself. Hard mode is locked to the highest setting on the meter.

+1 to fuck those dogs. Ninja Gaiden had nasty dogs too.

Mediocre, pick it up for cheap and play it through once. It's a poor mans Ninja Gaiden with too many QTEs, but not so horrible it's never worth trying ever. Maybe you'll like it, who knows. It goes for pennies now, so why not.

Ahh, ok. That sounds like a better system then.

What I hate is games that do adaptive difficulty in both directions so that they give you a helping hand if you fuck up and when you win you get a hollow sense of accomplishment.

Isn't God Hand the game that reviewed like dogshit because the reviewers were Polygon-tier casuals and failed to grasp the mechanics?

Of topic, but I still don't understand why it's controversial to say that a game reviewer should, at the very least, have significantly above average skill in a game to properly appreciate the depth of the gameplay. Even if the game isn't difficult, being a decent "gamer" let's you explore the movement and mechanics of a game properly and not just bumble around like a fucking twat.

Yeah, it doesn't change damage values, it changes how often enemies attack, block, counter, and most dangerously, attack when your camera isn't on them. The camera is followed directly by your movements, so you need to be flipping and running a lot to keep everything in view like that. IGN made a garbage review that claimed "the entire staff didn't like it" before winding up putting it on a top best PS2 games list anyway. Fucking 3/10 score, and he claimed he couldn't even make it past the second or third level. IGN has been shit forever.

Even aside from the gameplay, it's a really quirky and charming game. I'd recommend it even to casuals for an easy mode run just for the great dialogue and punchups. Not like your average microtransaction-paying game-reviewer could handle that dificulty, mind you.

It's not like getting S-ranks in Revengeance is particularly difficult, the ranking system is fucked.

I'm pretty sure character action has been around since I read about the first DMC in PSM.

Just call them action games. What is wrong with that?

Alright, post the article.

I dislike stylish action because stylish is subjective. God of War looks nice and stylish but no one would call it that because of some ambiguous criterion. You could argue that the ranking system makes the difference but then Ninja Gaiden falls out and Vanquish gets in. Or is it the complexity? Cause MGR without the parry is pretty damn simple.

Spectacle fighter is TotalAsscancer's term. I agree with you on character action, which is especially maddening because of twobestcucks play that subdivide even that. Stylish character action my ass.

I think there's nothing wrong with the term 'Action game'. And what's the beef with the term Action adventure? I always saw it as - if it has melee fighting in third person, it's an action game, and if it has fighting and puzzles, it's an action adventure game.

Shinobi is amazing.

I liked the idea and aesthetic behind Heart&Slash, but in execution it's kinda lacking. A stylish action roguelite is actually decent as far as indieshit goes, but there's not enough variety between weapons, the combat is less "chaining combos together" and more "smack and dodge faster Souls mode", and it's got some pretty awful bugs. Somehow, it's still one of my faves though.

It's Zero Punctuation's term.

This meme should die too. Nothing about either of those game series is hack and slash.

Not one person mentioned zone of the enders. Zone of the enders 1 and (but mostly) 2 are great hack and slash games. Otogi is great too.

Those dogs were fucking awful.

I've heard Asscancer use it too.

Diablo is an ISOMETRIC hack and slash, while DMC is a 3rd person hack and slash. Learn the fundamentals.

By that logic fucking runescape is a hack and slash. You also click on things, whack them, and then they die.

Don't talk back to adults. These labels have been around for 20 years, so it's not up to you to rewrite them.

Of course you wouldn't call Runescape a hack and slash, for the simple reason that it's centered around the rpg features and not the clicking. What are you, a retard? There are however massivel multiplayer hack & slash games.

GAS ME DADDY

I would assume when most people say "stylish" they're not talking about visual spectacle, they're talking about the capacity to play stylishly, some degree of mechanical complexity that lets you show off and fight in interesting and challenging ways. I certainly wouldn't say anyone would mistake GoW for that type of game.

Aztez is another indieshit game that might fit into the genre. It came out this week but I haven't been able to play it at all yet, I've been too busy. I'll probably play some this evening and report back.

The in-game tutorial for Aztez teaches people how to do frame cancels by blocking or weapon switching. I'm sure someone in this thread would get a semi over that.
Of course, the other half of the game is a weird board game where you gotta decide which missions you'll take and balance resources and item and shit, so make of that what you will.

Grim Dawn is pretty good.

I did get around to playing some today and I can confirm it got the blood flowing down there a little bit.
Even if the strategy aspect doesn't interest me too much I'm having a whole lot of fun in the arena, if nothing else.

Bayonetta easily the most fluid controls
Wonderful 101 loved this, best game of the year for me
Ninja Gaiden probably spent the most time on this series, even though it's more about staying alive than it is about flash, you can juggle enemies but there's kind of no point since you usually kill them then you're just juggling a dead body, which leaves you exposed to counter-attacks from the enemies that are still alive.

For the Devil May Cry series, I was only good at DMC3:SE. I love it, but love the others more.

Ninja Gaiden Black is the superior experience to play the game.

Ninja Gaiden 2 got problems but Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma makes more problems than it fixes.

Ninja gaiden 2 need a black edition.

Also Play Breakdown for the xbox. It's a first person beat them up which is pretty good.

bayo