How is Guild Wars 2 now days? Is it going good or has it died...

How is Guild Wars 2 now days? Is it going good or has it died? I remember playing as a thief back then and I found it so boring. The storyline was also rather uninteresting from what I remember.

Has it become better or is it still the same with nothing having changed for the better?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/Delafina777
archive.is/rRADA
archive.is/RwYEa
archive.is/HOw0t
archive.is/q34lk
archive.is/cT03B
archive.is/sbkFB
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Still run by people who never played the first and force diversity into it at any chance. Same as it has been since launch.

They forced diversity? Where? I didn't progress that much when I played so I didn't get to see much.

Also what was different between the first and second?

It died shortly after launch, It's Guild Wars only in name which is not surprising as the devs of GW2 proudly state they have never played the first one.

I wish they'd stop making terrible decisions, because it's the only MMO I can bring myself to care about. Removes a lot of obnoxious shit that I have with other MMOs, but some of that can be seen as a downside in the grand scheme of things. Living Season 3 has been a wishy washy string of events that feels like they weren't sure what to do half way through, and the maps they made specifically for each episode are pretty lackluster. LS2 seemed to be the high point, and I only started playing up until the end of that.
Heart of Thorns was kind of a disaster. The upcoming Cock of Crystal expac sounds like they're trying to rescope and not be a fucking 50$ expac with 20$ of content and 5 cents of QA.

I still want to play the first and even Holla Forums has a general consensus that it was pretty good. Only played GW2. GW1 seems like it's a completely different game.

Meant started playing around the end of Season 2.

There's a tranny in Lion's Arch post story who immediately tells you "Oh yeah I used to be _ now I'm __" and your only dialogue choice is "how brave". They also completely changed the Charr lore so they became dindus.

Don't forget the two lesbians from the crippleclub who make sure to remind you in every sentence they're lesbians, they're also the only NPCs who you can skip their dialogue.

I remember playing this for like an hour years ago and the controls were really slippery. Nothing was as responsive as WoW or even the first Guild Wars.

It is shitty and it should stay dead.
I am still salty about NCSoft using City of Heroes' servers for this, but I appreciate the karma that the game they shut down another game entirely for, pissing off a sizable part of their userbase, ended up doing so badly.

Gw1 before nightfall was one of the best pvp esports games ever. Then shitty community management, too much appeasement to pve carebears, and finally game balance eventually losing to power creep and spiraling out of control lead to gw1's slow and agonizing demise. Today it is still a lush and brilliant game with a dead community.

Gw2 felt like it was made more with profit margins and player inclusion as their priority. It just feels bland and it's combat homogenized crap

Wew. Wtf were they trying to achieve with those npcs?

I think that was part why I didn't like the game as much too. It feels like no matter how well I timed my actions, it just felt pointless.

Where did they say that they didn't play GW1 proudly?

A big bright virtue signal.

This game has still people playing it? That'd be surprising since the story was so bad that it makes Metzen's writing look good and the gameplay while trying to be more actiony than the average MMO falls fucking flat. It doesn't help that half the classes are fucking trash (Necromancer and ranger being at the bottom of the trash pile)
What happened to this game? Last time I played Lion Arch's was invaded by Mary Sue Salad or some shit.

I gave up on MMOs and just started on finishing my backlog and so should you.

It is a different game and its really bad you didnt play it back in the day.

I assume it's worse now. Wasn't as much 'diverse' at first, and I played it for a couple of months only, but for what I've seen lately it went full LGBTCHSDJAKZL now

Are you hyped Holla Forums?!

Not really.

I could ignore all that shit in the story, but the main reason that the game is shit is not the story, is that gw2 is a no fun allowed game.
GW2 just turned into a game were they only give a fuck about the market and selling new shit for gems.
They jewed up everything even the minis and no lewds allowed.

Didn't the expansion kill this game? I remember it pissing so many people off.

is that platforming checkpoint race some content they added? shit nigger

I don't think the 10bux is worth it.

Just reinstall GW1

I don't have proudly but I have this.

Oh my fuck really now

They spend as much time on these expansions as studios do on full games, yet they're just expansions.

No, but it was really hard and unforgiving for some goddamn reason and had a ton of bugs. Got a lukewarm reception at best.

I'm more surprised that GW2 somehow keeps Arenanet afloat. I mean, it's fairly niche at this point and doesn't seem to be growing, and ANet has no other products. It's truly perplexing.

FWIW, I played GW2 in beta and for a few years after launch. Enjoyed it as a singleplayer game, easily got my $60 worth. A lot of the hate Holla Forums levels on it is unfair, honestly.

I mean, I loved my first run through the levels, and I enjoyed most of the maps and PVE content, but, there's barely any endgame other than PVP, which is dogshit if you ask me, or insane grinding for basically no benefit.

The only reason to play GW2 is PVP. The PVE content is fucking trash.

It's still the same shit. I can't believe I bought that steaming pile of crap at full price.

Well, I guess I can give the game a little credit that I was able to make the best character "Blast Punchbeef"

Imagine this dude kicking your shit in, in PVP. Good stuff.

The PvP in GW2 is trash too.

t. gw1 pvper

I've been back at it for about 3 months. Really enjoying WvW when there's good fights to be had. The rest is filler for WvW offtime/ bad match-up.

are there any good pve mmos though

all mmos are shit

That content has been in the game years, user. Way before even the first expansion.

This game was on my backlog and I came back to play it. Only to find out they started adding retarded MMO shit that this game was supposedly meant to sidestep. First and last MMORPG I'll ever buy.

Except it was locked out when I was active, then after the first expac they tried to entice people to come back by reopening it. IIRC it was tied to the first season of living world shit, so if you started in season 2 or later you were just fucked.

I'm really glad I was tricked into buying this shit while it was on sale. I'd have been seriously fucking salty if I had put down 50 dollarydoos on this shit.

1. It has a good player base.
2. The story and the way it's presented have signifisantly improved
3. There are constantly updates that improve player experience, like moving more items from the inventory to the bank and account wallet, or making more things account wide instead of character specific so you don't have to grind.
4. The gameplay is still basicly the same so if you didn't like that you still wont like the game
5. The devs are full SJW, main story protagonists are lesbians, and they shove it down your throat hard, they even literally added a tranny to the game. Do not give them money

Pozzed SJW trash.

Sanctum Sprint has been available every Tuesday and Friday since Feburary 2014 from the activity rotation NPC. It can be played independent of anything going on with the Living World. The only thing you would have missed out on by not playing it the first time it came out were Catcher back piece skin drops from the end chest that have since been removed from the reward. Nobody plays this mode anyways except me because the lack of a high score list and associated reward like what GW's Rollerbeetle Racing had left nothing shiny for the playerbase to chase after.

If you want to talk about an activity you've been locked out from, talk about Aspect Arena or Reaper's Rumble.

PvP is piece of shit
PVE is boring
And WvW is boring, empty and shit

I like how you gave positive points to the game yet at the end tell us not to buy it because the devs are full blown cucks. Love this shit. When ANet dies, you can bet these fuckers will spread to other dev groups. I wish devs like these just fucking leave already. They're just polluting the game industry.

well that is how cancer functions

Gee, this is totally not a shill thread at all, it is a pure coincidence you made this thread on the day of the expansion announcement.

That said, I really like the game, Every update after the release of HoT was an improvement in one way or the other. The new maps are pretty good. The story got better as soon as the SJW pozz got fired or left of their own accord.

In the amount of time it took GW2 to get its first expansion GW1 had already gotten all four of it's own plus each of one them had way more content then Heart of Thorns.

So what's been happening in the Saturday cartoon that is the living story? Last time I logged on (and remembered why I'd stopped playing the living story) Balthazar had turned up, stolen Something and was heading off to the fire islands because… reasons?

I don't know if I can say the new maps are good, they're easily forgotten and not really replayable despite the replayable renown hearts. Going back to renown hearts is a step back compared to something like Silverwastes. HoT's core maps were all trying to be Silverwastes, but they didn't understand what made it good and put everything behind hard timers instead of player progress. New maps should have unique game play to keep people coming back, and season 3's maps are just more maps for the sake of having more maps.
Season 3's story was pretty good at making me want to keep up, but only because of how bad it was. Randomly jumping across the map with asspull twists had me wondering how they were going to lead into the Crystal Desert, and in the end it's just a last minute decision in the last story instance.
Even with the faggy characters, season 2 was probably the best era of GW2. The maps were good and the story had an actual direction. It wasn't a great story, but better than the messy personal story, season 1's story's lack of direction, and HoT's very rushed story. Season 3's just a repeat of season 1 but with permanent content. Even down to the main antagonist being a puppet master introduced at the last minute.

You finally kill Lazarus with Livia. The Commander is also part of the Shining Blade now. Someone, implied to be Palawa Joko, has looked into Abbadon's reliquary in Orr. The Eye of Janthir shows you a vision of Balthazar in the Crystal Desert with an army impaling a dragon.

I guess you could say that for Bitterfrost, the thaw elixir is just lame. Lake Doric is also sort of been there, done that, the Mantle attacks can go on for too long. But Bloodstone Fen has the gliding skills and plenty of events, Ember Bay has the fucking Chalice of Tears, Draconis Mons lets you be Tarzan, and Siren's Landing goes by so fast it's worth it just for the extra karma.

I really don't want to remember Season 2 in any way. I wish they went all-in like they did with Season 1, but that won't happen again. I'll gladly take clunkier plot resolution with new maps then a slow burn through chunks of oc donut steel fanfiction.

They recently hired Jessica Price as the new Editor for their narrative team. Check out her twitter feed and take a guess how that's going to turn out.

twitter.com/Delafina777

What's the best way to purge these cancer.

Step back and let it destroy the host stupid enough to take it into itself. Natural selection will see to the rest.

< Admitting that it takes illusion magic to pass convincingly.

How gullible we were.

I had it pegged as shit six months before launch.

Gas.

Then they'll just spread to other dev companies and shit on more games.

We failed at gassing the furries though.

I guess that makes for another trainwreck to look forward to.

Stuff that sounds interesting but no doubt was actually fucking boring to play through then. I notice that they've apparently given up and are basically going back to GW1 lore as well.

I figured it was gonna be shit right around when I heard "no monk".

FF14

You'd think an "Action MMO" would give some classes a block, some a dodge, and some a parry or something but no, everyone gets a generic dodge roll with the only difference being cosmetic. It makes everything feel so homogenized, like it was developed by a hardcore communist.

You mean a guardian, a thief and a mesmer?

I didn't think it boring, but then again if you didn't like the gameplay from the start, then yeah, it would be boring.

Even fucking Neverwinter handles this better, and it follows the same exact "get the fuck out of the way" formula presented in this game. Go figure.

Good god those are some shitty graphics. GW1 looked better tbh.

Every class has means of avoiding or nullifying damage, one way or another. Not sure where you're going with this.

To be fair, this isn't on highest settings. I barely keep a steady framerate with people around.

I don't recall GW2 having a system that ties in avoidance/blocking into combat other than being a way of mitigating damage. In Neverwinter the blocking classes build up an ability meter by taking AND mitigating damage. It encourages actual tanking, unlike GW2 where the most blocking does for you is give you a free retaliation attack.

My hype towards gw2 died rather quickly. I forget why, but by the time preorders opened, I was adamant about not spending a cent on it. I think my first doubts appeared when they revealed info on skill bars.

But MUH DIVINE TRINITY!
We have to innovate, user!

Yeah, GW2 innovated by making everyone just a DPS class.

Sad because GW1 didn't really have a trinity in the first place.

Wut?

man.. WoW managed to poz so many people. MMOs before WoW didn't have this "trinity" and they were fine.

Forget Guild Wars 2, is Lord of the Rings Online doing well?

Ever heard of prot monks? The whole mesmer "I fuck with enemies" class?

Trinity is Tank Nuker Healer

GW did not really have these things besides healer to a limited extent (though this was always the mark of a bad monk unless specifically teamed up with a prot monk and communicating/coordinating well). Tank? Yeah no, GW doesn't have taunt skills and the AI will typically attack more vulnerable players. You can leverage the AI into attacking a particular character, but it takes a lot of setup time and generally isn't worth it. Moreover, the most powerful defense in general gameplay would always be "having a monk focus on you" rather than "being a high armour class".

There were "tank" builds but they were for solo farming because of the aforementioned AI issues.

Moving along, nuker - the main form of damage in GW comes from melee classes, mainly the Warrior, Assassin, and Dervish, though Ranger can also run a respectable R/A DB spam build. Not from a wizard tossing fireballs. Elemental damage was notoriously bad throughout most of Hard Mode's existence and while it's ok now that they reworked armour, it's still inferior to melee because melee has such a high damage output, is more sustainable, and synergizes with party better (Strength of Honor, Mark of Pain).

Last of all, healer: the best monk builds are about stopping damage before it happens, aka Prot, rather than Heal after it happens. Prot typically is a lot stronger and you get more bang for your buck (eg Protective Spirit caps almost all non-lifesteal damage at 10% of max health - so against high damage bosses it can negate enormous amounts of damage that healing would have a hard time healing back; Shield of Absorption used against rapid damage packets can quickly turn into total damage negation while it lasts; Guardian negates half the enemy's hits no matter how hard they are and SoD negates 75%; Aegis negates 50% for the entire party; RoF negates an attack regardless of magnitude; LS does the same and also removes conditions, etc… all of these things are fairly meaningless for a non-GW player but the short of it is that these are all negating a big amount of damage for a small amount of energy that would cost more energy to heal the equivalent damage if it wasn't protted) plus it's less risky since party members aren't coming closer to death. That's not to say Monks don't heal at all, most of their spells have some passive healing on cast via Divine Favour and most bars are hybrid, but it's certainly not what people mean when they talk about the trinity.

Then the trinity misses out on two of the biggest roles in GW, that being shutdown (via the mesmer and the Earth Shaker warrior) and support (mainly via the necromancer)

Wow
It's fucking nothing

Story would be involved too, but the story is kind of trash. Believe it or not, that was better than HoT's.

Since we're talking about GW, here are some archive links to an oldfag talking about balance.

archive.is/rRADA - Why Nuking Sucks
archive.is/RwYEa - DPS and Buffs
archive.is/HOw0t -Where Balance Went Awry, page 1
archive.is/q34lk - page 2
archive.is/cT03B - General Balance Thoughts
archive.is/sbkFB - ANet Doesn't Understand Balance

What is the point of being so negative?

The direction of the game, except for story (lol mmo shit) has been improving greatly since the absolute clusterfuck that was Heart of Thorns.

LS3 has been overall great and what they showed here looks pretty damn good to me.

All the elite specs seem interesting, the maps look pretty good. The price is extremely reasonable. Fuck, I hate the idea of mounts and even those look kinda interesting.

I mean I get it if you just don't like the game but things have been massively improving.

I can five games with more content each for 30$
Oh yeah, the engineer that has normal weapons with a light skin for kits is really fucking interesting.
I haven't played it, but I hear it's still just SJW dogshit where the lesbos shove their shit in your face every five seconds.
I'll give you that, but there's way too few of them.

And fuck off with your shitty reddit spacing you quadruplenigger.

GW2 is a pretty princess/furry dress up simulator for autistic people with too much money and nothing else.

What is the point defending such an abomination?

A hunk of shit with sparkles on it is still ultimately a hunk of shit. The direction of the expansion shows that they didn't learn from their mistakes with HoT. Fucking mounts especially is a sign of even more generic MMO pandering. And the new specs seem interesting? Interesting isn't the word I'd use to describe taking core mechanics of a profession and ripping it out like removing pets from Rangers or Shroud from Necros. But maybe you're right, I'll immediately go and jerk myself off over the prospect of five maps! A $30 expansion brings fewer maps with it than LS3 did. How exciting.

I'm still iffy about the mounts. Also, no new class, just specializations? Come on.

The price point, however, is nice. If they keep adding maps like they did with Season 3 in a normal pace, that's pretty damn good.

I wonder just how big those new maps are. The jumping puzzles will probably be fantastic.

Time for Ebonhawke to build a wall.

LS3's maps weren't very good. They were saying though that the land amount in these 5 maps are more than the total land of HoT + LS3 maps, if that gives you a sense of scale.

Looks way better than HoT. That's not saying much though.

FF14 is a better dress-up game.
In GW2 everyone just looks like a retarded mary-sue fanfic character that's half-angel, half-demon and all gay.

There were some ridiculously good magic nukers, like the SS necro, or the minion master with death nova. Spirit spamming ritualists were also common. Of course, I haven't played in years and barely touched Hard Mode, and my favorite was always the cyclon axe/triple chop warrior. So easily sustainable, the adrenaline gain is so insane that spamming SY was easy as fuck.

I must admit, when it came out i was really hyped for this game. It wasn't GW1, but compared to most other MMOs it actually made me play for months to the point where i even ignored the deversity bullshit, i especially enjoyed the Mesmer class which was rather unique. Then they had the brilliant idea to change everything for basically no reason at all, and the expansions were the last blow to bring death to a good game.

I wish someone would take the best features of GW, FF and TERA and make a new MMO out of it.

Thank god I jumped ship after the first expansion was released

it maybe had a brief window of just mediocrity bordering okay-tier, but this last season was gutter filth

They lost me with this one.

I rather log on to gw1 with each special event and play that to the fullest. Everytime i log into that game, it still gives me this warm and fuzzy nostalgic feeling

If they don't make the maps large, the increased speed of the mounts is going to make them all feel small. Of course, this is setting them up in the future for even larger workloads to keep mounts relevant for newer maps and content. How or whether they keep gliders relevant may also showcase their thoughts about what they think they need to include in future expansions.

I like the quaggan and the Engineer. I don't mind the way the Sylvari look but their lore is just made up on the fly bullshit.

Sylvari can look like ganguro girls so I'm cool with that.

Your unique gameplay examples are just little toys to play around with to make the same aimless maps look different.

It's not even a good jumping puzzle. It's just long.

Compare season 3 maps to the Silverwastes, and to a lesser example Dry Top. The meta is fueled by player participation. Silverwastes' map and event chain is set up to punish you for wiping or not resurrecting other players by having few waypoints and being able to lose outposts because of it, but they also give you events that help the outposts on the way back if you do have to waypoint. Before it was able to be farmed, an instance that was good at keeping things up would get to the boss faster than a shitty one. The different bosses were all unique experiences, and failing the meta has the consequence of not being able to fight the final boss.

Now let's look at Siren's Landing, which is only similar by having one waypoint at first. Having only one waypoint didn't contribute to the map at all, and was probably a last minute decision to add in unlockable waypoints just to have something to spend orrian pearls on. The events don't interact with each other and walking back to an area has nothing to do on the way. The map's meta is just going to the shrines and collecting materials then fighting a weak boss. The bosses are all the same except for the undead wyvern, which is the best example of what gliding could have been but also could have been much better if it didn't just sit in one place.

I have a feeling that we are about to get a big dose of we wuz kanga.

Except you can get every skin with in game currencey, I didn't spend a since cent on the game other than the inicial purchase price

Every single class has some of those things, every single one. Shows how much you know about the game

The game is just DPS and stacking. The gameplay consists of smashing 1 and maybe the F key to pick up loot ( you don't even have to press F with a mastery ). This isn't dynamic blocking or parrying.

Don't get me wrong, you're right when you say Siren's Landing can't compare to Silverwastes - but I don't think that's the intent. Map-wide metas in general are on the lowdown because apparently nobody liked them in HoT, which is fucking retarded. Siren's Landing is like an inverted Auric Basin - you complete the hearts at your pace and get a single chest to open in the centre. I wouldn't say this is bad, a smaller scale map with a specific intent can be done well, but it seems like it's just made for the idiot rangers who don't understand there's something else than longbow 1.

I watched the post-announcement stream and some lady came on talking about how amazing it was to press F to complete heart quests again. Returning heart quests was a pretty lazy way to pad content in the new maps.

It's a good thing I spent that time doing the hearts on Siren's Landing to gamble and get 0 orrian pearls from the chest at the center of the map.