MMO Tactical RPGs

It just occurred to me:
Why are there no MMO Tactical RPGs?

Everybody's been trying to make MMO games that are action-oriented and this fails because lag basically cripples the experience. The only type of game where lag is literally never an issue is a turn-based game but ironically, all turn-based games are singleplayer in my awareness. I can't think of a game that would lend itself better to online play than something like the Disgaea games. Actually, the Disgaea games allow themselves to be unbalanced so perhaps that's not the best example but nonetheless, they should exist, shouldn't they? Does anyone know any and does anyone know why they're not the predominant game? Do people value shitty action games over good turn-based games (a genre which they would find shitty)? That is to say, do people value a shitty version of something they like over a good version of something they don't? Is it just that?

isn't this kinda what wakfu is?

Are you high or are you retarded? SRPGs are turn based. You want a turn based game that's massively multiplayer. What the fuck is wrong with you.

Well it may be a shitty nexon owned f2p grindfest, but atlantica online is the closest thing to what you're describing
despite the obvious flaws that come with the territory, it's a pretty underrated game and very unique mmo

there actually is at least one i played, but i can't for the life of me remember. it was a classic korean gookclick game, but battle was carried out on a turn-based grid and instead of abilities you had armies that you set up, and their formation changed what active abilities you had

i assure you that as cool as it sounds it was shit

Yeah, basically.

I guess what I meant was a turn-based game with online play so you can have matches against another person rather than just against an AI. Like with Pokemon on the handhelds, you'd have your team of pokemon, your friend has theirs and the two of you have a match against each other. It's just that you'd make use of online and that'd be fine since it's turn-based.

Hell, IIRC, Warcraft 3 had online play and that was a RTS.

Thank you.

Noted.

no problem, if you do play it you should note that being in a guild is integral to playing the game especially the PVP, so I hope you're in a region with people that actually speak your language

Because you are a casual who knows nothing about video games and put in 0 effort to learn anything, expecting everything to be spoon-fed to you. You have access to the world's largest and most comprehensive library, yet here you are asking stupid questions instead of spending 5 minutes using google. If all you wanted was to talk about multiplayer TRPGs then you should have just made a general thread instead of this shit.

Wakfu. Next.

There was this old game called Fairyland. Not exactly a TRPG in FFT sense, more like old nip game that party enters combat and each player/enemy takes a turn. There is front/back row system for that matter and an almost mandatory pet system which you use as defence or support, DragonRaja-esque gathering/crafting/combat skills/spells (the more you use them, the better you are at them) system,and hunger system so you have to occasionally feed your char. Also it was max comfy as fuck.

A general thread dedicated to multiplayer TRPGs? Isn't that a bit too specific? I thought a blogpost/whine thread was the best format for a thread like this concerning something so niche.

Sorry, what I meant was, that's pretty neat.
I also meant to sage due to the fact that I'm now over-posting, it seems.

Dofus and Wakfu, both have nice art, music and universe/lore but are ruined by multiboxing (since the game is turn based, one person can play multiple characters at the same time, in Dofus this results in turbo autists playing 8 characters simultaneously) and Ankama's jewry.

Good games ruined by the fact that Ankama not only ignores multiboxing but is more than happy about it since it means people paying for multiple subscriptions to play an MMO solo, and also constantly fucking up the game and lore.

Multiplayer TRPGs are hardly niche, but certainly not common. Making a thread for them is about the same as making an RTS or Mecha thread. There are generals for specific games so there is hardly anything wrong with making one for a genre, and a reminder that a general thread does not specifically mean some cyclic thread for something super popular, it isn't an evolved form of a normal thread, it is just a thread for talking about something in general rather than specific things like shitposting about the art direction or p2w bullshit in a game.
If you want to talk about video games, then just make threads with the subject of talking about those games. Although I won't deny that starting with a shitpost OP does make threads more active and successful, while you would be lucky to get a few replies if you played it straight.

Shame on you, faggot.

Well, alright, I'll keep that in mind.

I don't think you can go online with that although I am aware of the series. I was also thinking about how the Disgaea 1 PSP port really did have multiplayer. It wasn't online but it did have some kind of connectivity thing. It must've been nice because, with the internet, it would've actually have been possible to find other Disgaea players and play with them.

Actually, Days of Ruin had online multiplayer, you doubles nigger. Check 'em.

Well alright. This too is added to my research list.

Think someone tried to turn Megameks into a MMO Turned Based Tactics RPG but not sure how far they got.

But user, had. The servers are completely dead. It's no use. Also why didn't you check my double dubs? (Post, ID).

Would Holla Forums play a MMO 4X game?
If yes which is better? an infinite map or one with world-borders.
Asking about the map since that would pretty much determine aggression levels.

I thought you checked your own dubs. Are ID dubs rare? Consider them checked. I'll look elsewhere, in light of this info too.

What's 4X?

An offshoot of JewX

I checked yours and mine, making it double dubs with ID dubs. Patrick would be proud of me.

Actually one of the first graphical MMO's called The Realm by Sierra had a separate turn based grid combat screen when an encounter begins.

Because MMO means "massively multiplayer online (game)" and turn-based battle systems in general scale horribly with the number of players.

Why would a turn-based battle system not scale well? On that note, what is "scaling" and what does it mean for "scaling" to be good?

WHAT IF X WAS A MMO mentality ruined enough shit a decade ago, we don't need it to come back.

aside from wakfu and dofus
there's a few on mobile
stuff like "the first tactics" and "fire emblem whatever"
mmos and mobileshit are riddled with jewish p2w cancer tough

turn based combat sucks tough, lag was an issue in the past so you had lots of point and click targetting games but not as much today, yet devs still fall for the targetting meme

Damn, I remember there being some web-based, online lobby game that's something like that. I "played" it as a kid and it reminded me of chess. You'd have a board as the playing field and characters on both sides. Characters being stuff like archers, wizards and warriors.

Can't for the life of me remember what it was named though. Maybe someone here knows what I'm talking about.

Yeah but turn-based combat would benefit from it. Windows XP came out with Internet Checkers already functional. Why can't we have more online tactical RPGs (not to imply Checkers is one but it is turn-based)?

Yeah, I remember playing Worms back in the day. I even remember going online with Worms World Party, that was fun but I guess that was all just a product of tech-restraints.

What is the "targeting" meme, if I ask?

Bump

There are a few and they are all boring ass shit, played by a handful of deranged sociopaths, probably running on their autismbux as well.
It's a shit concept you should not pursue it.

Not really a tactical RPG I don't think, but Wizard 101 is a sort of theme park MMO and when you run into an enemy you run into the center of the "street" you're on to start a turn based, card based fight, where more people can join in at any point, same for enemies if they happen to wonder onto the fighting field, with a maximum of 4 on either side. Last I played it a month or two ago it was pretty active, even in some of the starter areas. Has a nice pay model too where you can pay for subs, but you can instead permanently "buy" certain areas of the game you would normally need a sub for with a paid currency. It's more expansive if you plan on going through the game as much as possible in one sitting, but for someone like me who played it years ago when it first came out, it was nice to come back this year and still have all those same areas unlocked.
Same company seems to also have a game called Pirate 101 which looks like a carbon copy from what I can tell without having played it. Can't speak to how good it is or if there is anyone playing, but it exist

Guild Wars could be considered fairly tactical. It's not turn-based though.

BALANCE WIZARDS FOR LYFE NIGGA
Myth is fine too, fuck Death

DEATH IS COMING FOR YOU, NOTHIN PERSONELL, KID
Is there an actual tier list for the classes though? I don't want to play something that's ass or will make solo'ing too hard/impossible

There's a quiz at the character creation that allows you to "find the best school of magic," but I think now you can skip the quiz and just pick one.
I haven't played in years.

Vantage Master
Freeware Online Multiplayer but not an MMO

THE FIRE RISES! PYROMANCY>ALL
Fire magic master race, electricity is dope too

This was actually the stated design goal of the Gaia Online MMO Flash game.

They ended up scrapping it, but it was originally supposed to take inspiration from Final Fantasy Tactics for its battle system.

Wesnoth.

well there was toontown online. can't believe nobody else mentioned this ITT

I completely forgot about toontown. The remake is still up to my knowledge, but not many people seemed to be active