Speedrunning Autism

How do these people have the concentration to keep playing the game over and over and over and over and over? It looks like absolute torture, is there something I'm missing here or is it just a good rewarding feeling?

They invest so much into speedrunning because they know if they give up on that they will have nothing, and no one likes to admit he's utterly hollow inside.

That's awful. Why would they live like this?

Autism.

The winning high is stronger the harder and more numbing the grind is.

It seems like most of them do it while hanging out with their pretend fans on skype and whatnot so I guess it's really no different than what they'd be doing otherwise.

Because you have no talents and you're stuck on a rock rotting away so you try at something over and over hoping to be acknowledged as a great for going slightly faster than your competitor with ILs as a stepping stone to slowly any%

Autism.

Because of autism.

Autist find doing the same thing over and over again enjoyable. Why the fuck are you asking this question anyways? are you some kind of normalfag that stumbled to here through reddit or something?

Speedrunning has been a thing for a very long time and the answer is always the same, plus sometimes its fun to watch. People do the same shit every single day over and over again without even realizing, speedrunners get some enjoyment out of it and the ones that don't are /cow/ material and are generally fun to see them breakdown, either way it's a win/win for us. I'm not complaining.

Because runners are pretty much the only section of gamers left that are hardcore. You have to truly love gaming and video games to invest time into learning enough to beat it in as low a time as possible. I've noticed that casuals really hate speedrunners for that reason alone.

I don't speedrun but I like beating my fastest time in Platformers. It's fun planning out an efficient route to get through as quickly as possible and you get a really nice feeling when you succeed and shave a ton of time of your previous record. When you combine this enjoyment with autism, you get speedrunning.

Has anyone ever speedrun actual autism? Like how quickly they can go from diagnosis to Christine Chandler with a bottle of mace.

Some people like the competition. That's why we have the Olympics with people throwing javelin and whatnot. So trying to beat Super Mario Bros as quickly as possible isn't really that different. Has nothing to do with autism like some retards here say. In fact you must be neurotypical as fuck to even use autism as an insult

However I'm not into speedrunning at all and when someone speedruns or watch other people speedrun games like Deus Ex or Golden Eye it's just stupid. Those games just aren't suited for speedrunning. In Golden Eye for example they keep staring at the floor 99% of the time to make the game run more smoothly or whatever so you're basically just watching almost a blank screen most of the time.

because playing games stopped being about fun and became about e-cred. look at these retards trying to one up each other in a pointless activity that barely anyone does. anyone have the video of that goldeneye runner who said it EXACTLY like it was? because that guy was spot on.

No you're right, they're all somewhere on the autism spectrum.

I mean one competition is the celebration of human achievement, the other one is a video game. It's a little different.
That's a really fucking autistic thing to say dude

There's not really that big difference between a stick throwing competition and a speedrunning competition, but if you consider Olympics to have some symbolic value then you can imagine any other sport instead of Olympics.
Yeah, whatever. Go have sex with your gf you fucking casual.

You're missing the point, user. Many athletic competitions hinged on bending the rules as much as possible, like the butterfly in swimming being at one time a completely legal breastroke. Vidya speedrunning has that same kind of rule-bending. If anything, vidya is closer to a car race. Many precise inputs over a pretty long period of time, sometimes with loopholes being found allowing for really crazy optimization.

See it doesn't make you look smart to conceptually simplify to its base element one side of the argument. If you want to be fair you'd need to say "there's no big difference between a stick throwing competition and children's toys" but then you'd look too retarded for even yourself to ignore.
No pretty much every sport is more justifiable in that regard than video games.
Never said I was cool buddy, I'm just not an autismo faggot

I don't get it either. For me, half the fun in playing a game quickly is adapting when things don't go your way. No wonder there's so many videos of speedrunners sperging out, I'd lose my mind after just a few hours of playing like that.

In Deus Ex they abuse glitches I had zero idea existed like throwing a smoke grenade at the UNATCO HQ to bypass the entirety of Liberty Island.

fucking normalfag
all shitposting aside the better question is what the fuck motivates people who put bizarre fucking constraints on the speedruns?
people like pannenkoek2012 have autism so strong it could be harnessed as an energy source to fuel a small country
it can go so far beyond just basic bitch stuff like calculating the shortest path and factoring in shortcuts and stuff
it's actually kind of scary, imagine what these people could do if they focused their autistic motivation elsewhere.

It's largely because of just how competitive speedrunning a lot of games like Resi 2 is. There's just so many people doing it that if you don't get "optimal run conditions" there's zero point in continuing because you'll be a minute past the world record.

There is "casual speedrunning" where you just try and beat a game you like really fast. Most people even have a game they can do this with.

I've heard it's very akin to science. Like trying to explore the inner workings of the game's code to try and discover glitches that let you shave off 10 miliseconds. Like when they discovered a skip in Ocarina of Time that moved the world record from 3 hours to under 20 minutes that was huge and was the result of a ton of people cooperating together to try and figure this sort of thing out.

That's the other thing the community is a big part of it. Like when you have dozens of other people doing the same thing you are it's a big motivator.

I don't think pannenkoek actually finds most of this stuff himself, he just aggregates and displays it.

Pannenkoek is a shining example of autism. Good on him, shame he felt bullied so hard he stopped putting his voice in videos.

Considering his graphs and how this video is just about a single part of the game I'd say otherwise

also his obsession with mechanical pencils indicates he's at least a sperg or autist

i really do find it fascinating
prying apart a piece of work that's already finished to see how it functions is so much more interesting to me than programming from the ground up, which i suppose is why i never stuck with programming
only tangentially related and i don't want to derail but i love watching people like stryder7x and vinesauce tear apart games through glitches or forced corruptions
i can literally just sit and watch for hours at a time and stryder7x is easily as autistic as pannenkoek, he just manifests is in a different way

Just wanted to come into this thread and say I recommend you read The Cutting Room Floor wiki. It has all the kinds of shit you're looking for.

Kys

No they aren't. It's the same shit and people do all sports for the same reason. Sure some sports are more ridiculous than the others and if I had to choose between watching stick throwing and speedrunning I'd go with stick throwing simply because I don't like speedrunning and my country is kind of good at javelin (or at least used to be) and it's the only Olympic competition that I watch (which is also the reason why I mentioned it in the first place).

The reason why some people speedrun games is the exact same reason why some people practice any competitive sport. It's not too hard to understand and if you think that the competitive drive is a sign of autism then you probably think that most professional athletes have autism as well.

Anyway, using autism as an insult just doesn't make much sense especially on imageboards. I mean, high functioning autism is associated with people who are introverted, get obsessed with things easily and are more interested in things like technology and objects than actual living people, so it would make more sense if some instagram whores used autism as an insult instead of imageboard dwellers who are borderline autistic themselves.

thank you user, i love this sort of thing

I used to do stuff like that too, then I got a cold hard dose of reality when I had to get a job.

(checked)
You can also find a lot of prototype leaks there, like the original Legend of Zelda NES prototype ROM and the Pokemon Ruby Prototype ROM

Wouldn't a job make it easier to collect inane shit?

When you get a job all of your time gets zapped away and you start having actual stress in your life

Sport is a celebration of human achievement. Competitive speedrunning and e-sports are an admission of human autism.
The difference being that it's justifiable for sport since it's a celebration of human achievement, and being good at video games is not.

By the way buddy, most people would just say "meant for X" instead of posting the same shit again. Not you of course, since you're autistic, but normal humans.

No, I mean you collect shit while at work. I'd imagine an office job would net you more pens and shit than you could ever want.

I work at a manufacturing plant and the jew bosses watch everyone all the time whether they be on the plant floor or through their cameras.

Oh, well that sucks.

It would be amazing

this
javelins are a really underappreciated weapon of war
speaking of which i can't seem to think of a whole lot of games which had javelins/throwing spears as weapons. fallout new vegas and rise of nations come to mind

Didn't morrowind have throwing weapons?

LoTRO had an entire class based around javelins. Not accurately displayed use of of them but sitll.

Mount & Blade

Yes, but they were absolute garbage

Payday 2.

How isn't it to you? I might be an autist but there's comfort in knowing what you'll do, when you'll do it, all day.

>>>/tumblr/ is that way you fucking faggot.

Sometimes a game benefits from self imposed challenges, speedrun or no.
Embed not related

In most cases. People just really like a game and keep replaying it. Once you replay it so many times you try to play proficiently as possible or see if you can break the game. At this point, you may be speed running the game without even realizing it. Have any of you ever tried to beat a Sonic stage as fast as possible, trying to break your old record? Speedrunning is just that. It just naturally comes with wanting to get better at the game or mastering it. Just like score attacks.

While some are autistic, many confuse their social awkwardness for autism.

Speedrunning is just fun. It's fun to do because it feels great when you finally get that run right, and it's fun to watch because it's high level gameplay that looks fuckin' rad.

That's actually kinda cute.

That came out wall of textier than I intended it to. Let's add some reddit spacing to make this shit legible.

You never did a buster only run of Megaman? Never tried to beat FFX without entering other characters' sections of the sphere grid? Ran a copyless kirby run? Speed Running is just a self imposed challenge, but unlike the ones listed above, you don't ever really beat it. You can always improve and go faster.

Some want to beat the game as fast as possible, period end of story. That's what any% is for, some want to beat it the "Right way" as fast as possible, that's what glitchless/no major glitches is for. Whenever there's a feeling that something in the game is lost by speedrun strategies bypassing it entirely, there will be a category for that (All dungeons, all bosses). It's both a communal thing on top of a competitive thing. People swap glitches and practice one another's strategies.

Comparing it to sports is dumb, but it is a hobby. Some people do magic tricks, some people juggle. Some people collect stamps, bottlecaps, trading cards. Getting a rare card, mastering a trick, all of these are the "Fun" of their hobbies. Shaving a few seconds off your personal best is the fun of someone who speedruns for fun. It's also why they stream (other than to get shekels from their viewers). What's the point in having a full set of rare cards if you can't show them off? Did you really pull off a convincing magic trick if you can't mystify someone?

I don't even fucking speedrun and haven't even tried it, but it's a serviceable subset of gaming as a hobby, just like how some people beat a game and call it a day, some people feel the need to 100% it and some only find it fun when playing multiplayer.

Low IQ: playing single-player videogames for fun
Medium IQ: playing multiplayer videogames competitively
High IQ: playing videogames for time
Ascended Mind: playing videogames for score