The Witcher Thread

I have witcher 1 and 2 for ages now, basically played only a bit of both before losing interest (17 hours logged on 2)
I've decided to finally give it a good try on a long play through,
game ask for importing character from the first one, so my question is, should I try to full the first game before going the second, or would that be pointless considering the quirks and improvements made on the second?

also feel free to derail the thread with any related shitpost

Other urls found in this thread:

witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Visenna
dzikan.deviantart.com/
witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Okruch_lodu
witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_Wish_(short_story)
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=26114
witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Melitele's_Heart
nwlibertyacademy.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/communist_goals.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ogaa booga vodka

thanks I've guess

The best overall game in the series is the third one. While there isn't much relevant shit in the first one to the second game I would still recommend that you finish the first game. You can break the game on its back so ask here if you have any trouble with any section of that game.

what do you mean? the game being easy?
honestly it's been so long since I've played that I don't remember where I got to

At least read a plot summary of Witcher 1 before playing 2, so you know the general background. It's been years since I played the first game but I remember it being kind of clunky compared to 2 and 3.

Witcher 2 is my favourite game of the series, mostly because the plot revolves around politics and assassinations rather than saving the world from an ancient evil or whatever. Also while there's a lot more boss monsters in W3, I really enjoyed the major act bosses in W2, especially the second one.

The game is easy as long as you know what you're doing. You have a bunch of instant kill moves which even some bosses aren't immune to and if that fails there are potions which make the combat a cakewalk.

Fair enough, I'll give it a shot before going for 2 again, unfortunately, its pretty big (10GB) and GoG doesn't have that great download speed

I really want the witcher guy to fuck my brains out

There's a considerable amount of crap in the books that the games only refer to in passing. That being said - you're not missing much.

I know right, he is basically the perfect macho medieval fantasy detective warrior

Fucking degenerate.

You can play the third without having played the first two. Just read a short synopsis of the first two games at least. A lot of the characters and call-backs throughout the game reference the books anyway so even people who played the rest of the series will be out of the loop for the most part.

As for the game itself, you probably know what to expect. The combat is repetitive and easy, so pick one of the harder difficulties starting out. If you can get over that you have a huge world to explore with literally hundreds of hours worth of not so boring quests to slog through. You can rack up 100 hours in a single playthrough easily (including the DLC) even avoiding 70% of the side quests. It's also a great game for screenshots.

good, but who said anything about the third one on the series?

thanks for the reaction images, but you just gave yourself up as cuckchanner

from which game in the series is this?

Importing saves from 1 into 2 hardly affects anything, it lets you start with some slightly improved gear that will still be obsolete by the time you finish the prologue and beyond that I think it affects the presence of like a single NPC. If you really don't want to play the first one through you can skip straight to the second one and it even has a short video synopsis of 1's plot for people who do just that.

Importing a save from 2 to 3 affects a lot more in regards to characters but it omits some very important stuff for whatever reason and if you don't have a save to import it lets you manually pick all the choices from 2 that do affect things right after the prologue anyway.

so it doesn't affect character, skills or anything important like that?
I'm tempted to just skip 1 for later because i remember how clunky and annoying inventory was

Yeah the character leveling systems are entirely different so none of that will carry over. I don't remember 2 having a much better inventory system though, in fact I recall getting really agitated at its menu systems since it splits all your useful menus across like three different sub menus, none of which let you access the others. 1 has kind of a not great inventory since it just crams everything into tiny boxes but being able to access the journal, the map, the alchemy and everything else from every menu was nice.

Sorry I misread your post. My points still stand though, except it's not as long as the third game.

Cuckchanner please go.

thanks, duly noted,
one thing though, the second has some weird graphics where everything looks kinda glossy,
I know it wont get close to but any hints to make it look nicer?

thanks mate

Turn off HDR, Bloom, etc., in the options.
It's still gonna look like ass no matter what you do to it though.

True, Witcher 1 fags are kidding themselves, it's the worst Witcher game and it's a horrible RPG. Witcher 2 is a good game but it has a horrible combat system that's incredibly frustrating and doesn't have that much content. Witcher 3 has quite a lot of content and a bad combat system that's at least easy and not frustrating (while not perfect) is by far the best.

I made it better.

Kraken guy at the party with the Triss was the best but it was really weak in ENG but absolutely nailing it in Polish dub.

Why does no one talk about the music aside from the lelelelele meme? I found it fucking glorious.

Get rise of the white wolf mod for better combat in the witcher 1. The witcher 3 is the best but I think i can say the witcher 2 was the weakest. The combat in witcher one is aids at first but you once you get it down stuff starts coming together. Stories bretty gud.

I love the foliage in TW3 but bodies of water are almost always the same color.

I enjoyed witcher 1 but 2 bored me and I stopped progressing after reaching the city with the hole in the middle. I remember fucking a demon in a hidden basement.

I just finished a full playthrough of the series with imported saved between each game.

The most useful and important thing about the save import from 1 to 2 imo was that you keep all of your alchemy potions and oils that you had in your inventory at the end of 1. I essentially never had to brew any potions or oils during an entire playthrough of 2 since I had enough left after completing 1.

Nice

They don't. You get to keep some powerful weapons and armor if you got them in 1 but they becomes piss-poor in 2.

You don't really need to play witcher 1 and 2 to play 3 though if you didn't enjoy 2 I don't know how much you'll enjoy 3. The gameplay is pretty similar. Also, as far as playing goes don't bother 100%. I'd recommend sticking with main quests, secondary quests, and contracts. Treasure Trails are good if you need money but you rarely getting anything worth the trek. Lastly, play on the hardest difficulty. It's a cake walk otherwise.

Also, just beat Blood and Wine yesterday. I very highly recommend it. I think it's better than the main questline.

yep….. now I remember
the epic starting scene, the dreadful combat awkwardness, the horrendous excuse for stealth system
I sort of remember why I droped it, got to see titties though

I think its practically unanimous that the expansions of 3 are the best content of the entire trilogy. They really should just try and make another Witcher game comprised of four or five expansions sized acts/quest lines that are self contained and in their own regions.

The main quest line was a bit of a slog at times. It's always been true in The Witcher that the side stories are the best content, and the main "fate of the world" plot is mediocre at best. Although that is true is pretty much every fiction that I can think of.

You should at least play 2, 1 is a little dated. If you do decide to play the 1st I'd suggest using a guide as it will make the play-through far less tedious.

What the fuck is this post, shove that guide up your urethra

who's the babe?

Alright, got to playing the game more, finally made it to Flotsam
remembered why its so, all the whoring and brit swearing

bump

I doubt anyone cares but here are the books if you like reading.

And lastly

cool, car to enlighten me on the books, is it like old tier style, eg if they were created with no game at all in mind?
if that's the case, I reckon the novel may stand up on its own, with perhaps a chance for movies or a series

The books were created entirely on their own. The Witcher has already gotten a Polish TV show, which was bad, and a movie, which was worse. Here's hoping the Netflix version is good.

They were written back in the 90s. Years before the first game came out. They are surprisingly good, I wasn't really expecting much when I first started them. The first two books in particular are my favourite. They are more a collection of interesting short stories which are loosely connected. A linear main plot line doesn't emerge until the third book.
You can treat them as a prequel to the games if you want. Or just consider the games to be non-canon.

tell me more

that is better honestly, guys the store better as every season the Witcher going for a major quest
la star trek style

Nothing more to know, beyond that Netflix has announced a deal to make a TV show based on the books. It only happened a few months ago and we don't know anything more about it, like the director or lead.

Netflix has been pumping out SJW propaganda for a while now, dont get your hopes up.

They will probably have a field day with the sorceresses being stronk womin who don't need to man. Kind of like in the books except without the strong undertones that they are total cunts who are more fucked in the head than the men.

You can already guess the articles written about it.

I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist regardless.

Yeah it will be GoT tier. They lure you in with some good episodes, then unleash the poz. It will have some cool sword fights, some cool and fun monster hunting, lots of sex because of the muh dick generation, strong women who are flawless and there will be minorities from the other lands constantly.

I know this is retarded but wasn't it specifically mentioned that Geralt IS nordic?

Not so much specifically as implicitly, he was just the child of some random minor nordic witch and as such he too must also be nordic. If they wanted to make him non-nordic they'd have to either completely remove the aspect of him starting out just like every other normal northerner to instead be the child of some special traveling immigrants or whatever, or they'd have to totally change up the setting to make non-nordics in nordlands be commonplace when it makes no sense for them to be so.

Why? Geralt of Rwanda just doesn't sound nice

The first game is better than the second.

the first one is so fucking good, how can you not enjoy it? It feels very similar to kotor 1 & 2, which are also pretty good games. witcher 2 is a step down in everyway

Aren't witches sterile too? Isn't Yen suppose to be working on a cure for that?

Real magic users are, I think his mom was more along the lines of "knows how to mash up some herbs and shit".

I thought magic only made you sterile over time as a sorcerer/sorceress.

When she's discussed in one of the books someone asks the same, and the response is along the lines of "she thought so too".

love it

Nice. Thanks bruv.

Hey same here OP buddy. I stopped on witcher 1 about 2 years ago when the hell hounds stormed the first village you get to after that starting castle.

Yesterday watched speedruns of witcher 1 and 2, both looked incredibly boring, 2 being a bit more interesting. One just seemed too on-rails in the first part. Two had a nice beginning at that siege tower, but after that.. didn't look fun. Also 1's combat is awful.

thanks for the down vote
but yeah, been playing lately with 2
seems that combat is always awful in the series, and still has constraints of movement that 3 doesn't have anymore
and is pretty much on rails too on that opening act (combine that with hate inducing combat and stealth, and I literally spent hours on there alone)
but after that the game opens with a interesting world full of stuff to explore, lots of side quests and hints to take upon, while while following a non direct main quest, that my sir, is why its worth paying it

I remember reading somewhere not all sorcerers are sterile but they have a law against having children or something

Similarly played only so much of the first and second, fairly enough the third one menaged to pull me all into the rabbit hole.
I'd say just getting the general or more in depth look into the plot of the previous one should make do, see

HEE HAW

what the fuck kind of retarded fetish is that?

No one said it was a fetish, user. Rather interesting that you took it there.

This. It's mentioned that when powerful magic users have offspring they come out with fucked up powers that their immature bodies can't handle. They end up being things like blind oracles or being so powerful that their mind shatters and they're nothing more than full retards. It never ends well when they have offspring as there's no way to contain the power that's transferred to the newborn and as such they just forego procreating as there's no upside to it (unless they want to use the child as a lab rat or something). tl;dr they're not sterile but there's no good outcome from them having children, atleast not until they can find a way to seal the power until their child grows up or something.

second is good and first was too but its outdated, id just watch a recap honestly but play the second

has anyone else been putting off playing 3 for some inexplicable reason? I basically got a new card for it, I did ten hours or so before and liked it but something is keeping me from going back, probably the sheer amount of time required

is there some kind of jew magic resonating out of burgerland that makes me consume vast amounts of shit but avoid the semi-decent things for some reason plz halp

also if you arent playing 3 with the squat mod you arent playing witcher, bitch

When will we get a game about the actual slav legend witcher was loosely based on, whats his fucking name again i forgot

I kind of burnt out on 3 when I got to Novigrad, much like I did on 1 when I got to Vizima. For some reason big cities in Witcher games just kill my enthusiasm, probably because dealing with humans is pretty fucking dull and 90% of the quests in them are shitloads of walking and talking with very little action to break them up.

I can imagine some degenerate stories coming up from this
and another thing, I'd imagine they have medical contraceptive methods?

I usually have allergies with games too new, I don't know why,

I'm not burger land and I can attest to this, fuck is like the days just pass by in haze, and the worst is that there's very little actual playing

I think they mention talismans that keep women from getting pregnant while they wear them and potions that are like morning after pills or some shit, but I could be remembering some other fantasy series. Magical contraception comes up more often than you'd think in these kinds of stories.

Oh boy, progressing further on the side quest in Flotsam
really liking the game, think I've already made it further than what I did in my previous play,
spent a fuck load of time trying to kill those giant spiders queen in the forest, and although combat is really infuriating in this game, its also very reward when you have to think of a better strategy
it sort of also reminds me of one other game in the same vein, warrior with magical powers, where you could get a house, get married and whatnot, pretty fun
anyway I digress, got myself one of those splendid silver swords, and I'm wondering, whats the threshold where one swords is so much better than the other, that you shouldn't want to switch between steel silver ?

steel is for humans, silver for monsters.

I know,but at which point does one sword be so much that it serves both? Like for example, having a 20 damage silver sword and a 10 damage steel weapon

Never.
Steel does 1 damage to monsters and silver does 1 damage to humans.

that concludes it

Are the books actually worth reading? I've heard mixed things about them. And that Yenn is even more of a cunt in them and Geralt is pussy whipped.

They are both for monsters user.

First game is ok. It's like playing a witcher fanfic, but a good one. Good to get into the massive amount of stuff going on the game universe. What you do changes little to nothing on the other 2 games, they are almost not related in any way

You get all the equipment and some xp bonus if you import. The xp is nice, but the swords you can import are really high tier. You can also import the best armor from the first game, the one he wears on the third game's artwork and your pic. A super legendary witcher's armor with a high tech desing that allows protection and mobility etc etc. It's complete garbage on the second and third game for some reason, but considering it looks nice, all other armors are ugly specially on the second game, and you die on 1 hit with any armor anyway, you should keep it

They are worth reading if you like the universe, then you grow fond of geralt. Just read the sword of destiny until they finish the dragon part, first few chapters. The writing style changes a lot but that's basically all the books dynamic

Their relationship goes like it does on the game. Geralt goes around doing his thing and fucking everything that moves, sometimes yennefer appears and they have sex, then teenager emo kid tier arguments happen and they go separate ways. I dont get where that one autist come from. He never takes orders from her or stops fucking women after women because of her. She just bitches a lot around him and it's Geralt's fault anyway. He abandons her and comes back because he loves her yen very much, then he runs away again. Doesnt help he fucks a few of yennefer's fellow sorceresses

Whats the most obscene content in the Witcher?
I often feel like having virtual sex after completing the latest monster hunt…

Probably the pool sex in the witcher 2

This muthafucka Kayran beast

Just died about 20 or more times to this
fucking hell, couldn't they made the combat the little bit less frustrating?

hell yeah
after finally beating the one above, got delved into story pretty quickly and ended up with this scene,
pretty hilarious and well done,
no way I've could had said no to her, but now I'm pretty unsure, how big are story ramifications in this game?

and by the fucking way, when will someone drop these pics (the full ones I hope) and some more lewds in here?

The Kayran battle is pretty fucking bad with its trap planting and QTE bullshit but it unfortunately also sets the tone for all of the bossfights in the game. Don't expect to ever get to potion up for bossfights unless you die and reload before the fight with knowledge of exactly where the cut off point for the pre-fight cutscenes are.

That scene just gives you points for Triss in terms of story. The one decision that counts is coming up since it changes where you end up going next.

Witcher 1>3>2
The witcher 1 has the best story and characters and plot lines will carry over to 2 and 3. If you really don't feel like finishing it use a guide and do all the bits you like and cheat in the Witcher 2.
Despite some negative word of mouth due to its graphical downgrade its a solid RPG that ticks a lot of what I liked about the Witcher 1 and some of the Witcher 2.
the combat in 3 was kind of meh

that doesn't seem to be the consensus around the thread, if anything they say 1 had very little impact and clunkier controls
and combat always seem to horrid in the witcher, it seems they made it less infuriating in 3, so that's a bonus I'd say

unfortunate reference for the above comment, it seems its always "die until you learn" kind of thing, which really makes battles predictable and boring

Doesnt mean shit, I liked 1 a lot more than the other two games too. I wish it had continued improving on 1 instead of consolizing the games. Yes I just made that word up, you know what I mean.

I agree completely. TW1 was my favourite in the series, you actually got to do some proper witchering instead of being an all-round folk hero/demigod in TW3. If 3 was named something other than "witcher" I would've liked it alot more as a solid game with a decent amount of varied content. But hey, atleast the series didn't end in a ME3 shitshow.

Fitting that you brought ME up because I felt like they pulled a ME 2 with this series

The Kayran battle is a travesty, no fucking mistake. You can turn QTEs off entirely in the options which helps immensely. I remember this being the second-most ass-puckering moment of my Insanity difficulty run.

Was the other one the tutorial? Because I swear the tutorial was the hardest part of the game

I spent three hours trying to beat this fight because the tentacle on the right behind the instant kill water had orange weak points and you could lure it almost close enough to hit.

every battle is hard on this fucking game, basically of the clunky controls, you end up rolling from one side to the other while avoid getting hit, but getting nonetheless and hopelessly swing your sword in the air
right now I'm trying to fight of the wraiths from that witch medallion quest, but fucking sake already lost like 50 minutes there

Are you spamming the shield sign?

I forgot how you cheese witcher 1. What do I invest in again?

Assuming you're playing vanilla and not with combat rebalance mod, Aard and Igni IIRC. They're both op as fuck

The other one that fucked me up was the battle on top of the tower at the end of chapter three. The broken hitboxes on the dragon attacks made it a real shitshow. And since it's "you die, your save is corrupted, start over el oh el", and by that point you've invested twenty fucking hours plus it made me pucker something fierce.

Some cosplaying attention whore from Russia.
Go to deviantart, search for 'dzikan'.

by any chance, part of the same here?

yeah sort of, but the wraiths get rid off them too easily, they have like fucked up hitboxes or something

Visenna wasn't a Nordic name in the first place.
witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Visenna

Who knows. Find out yourself.
dzikan.deviantart.com/

Read the story mentioned in the link related.
witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Okruch_lodu
about how she was two-timing him with her fellow sorcerer. That relationship was fucked up from the start, considering she fell for Geralt as a result of his wish to a lamp genie in another short story.
witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_Wish_(short_story)

where are them lewds?
dem tits though

I'm registered there. Mature content or not, no restrictions. Are you underage or something?

FUCK ME
it just hit, for the entirety of this week I was trying to remember about some other game with I loved dearly and somehow Wticher reminds so much of

at least Witcher 2 reminds of it, anyone thinks the same?
I think open and detailed world nature of both games, not to mention the self humor and some adult content

yeah thats the point,

I might as well play with that mod. More focus on oils and potions with it or something?

Also anyone tried modding the game on linux? I know it runs fine via wine but I dunno about mods.

anything you to do for it to work well?, I did not know that

oh shit and forgot to ask, what the hell is that gif?

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=26114

I dunno. Just another random pic in my computer.

Disappointing

The Eternal Fire church could have used another reasonable member in addition of the witch hunter commander that helps Geralt at the bog. Especially when they made Radovid crazy in order to avoid dealing with the possibility that the player had completely cemented his claim to Temeria in previous games.

and what about that weird gif you posted now?
I know I'm taking the bait, but my brain can't help it with anything porn related

I like both you guys.

I like you too…

Just saw that there is a "enhanced" witcher 1 version, any thoughts on it?

That's basically the definitive version, I don't think the original is even sold anymore. It's got all the updates they've done for it baked in as well as some extra little scenarios, some of which are apparently pretty good.

well I got my version from GoG some eons ago, thing is I don't know if its the same but updated, or different release on its own

Its known as the Silver version and there is a Gold one that has some fan missions put in there.

Neflix series is going to have forced diversity, right? Poles are going to love this one…

It will be another GoT. Lots of evil white men, lots of sex for no real reason (close the games I guess), stronk womyn and token minorities who do no wrong.

But is the game actually any good?

Yes

I haven't had a decent build since 2008. I was not prepared.

hey Holla Forums
< thinking there is anyone in GoT not evil
you really got to be a faggot to misunderstand things this way

I know that feels, unfortunately, mine is already years old..

I dont know this feel
I always had shit pc so low to med at best for me all day every day

haven't given up on game yet

oh boy, so many memes, filled up my witcher folder

Keira is the best girl.

do they bed together?
I was watching a playthrough and she is the biggest cock tease

Nah she is a dumb cunt and I killed her

for the stake you mean

No

yeah you can fuck her
no romance option though

objectively wrong

fuck how? what the fuck happened? please clarify dear user

theres some thing she wants you to get for her so she can use it to convince radovid to not kill her for being a sorceress (which doesnt work if you let her take it to him he kills her) and you can talk her out of it so she lives and goes to khaer morhen

you can also take a dialogue option to fight her and kill her

What's the difference between a monster and a beast?

Fearsome animal.

I've always felt like the Witcher games had lore and stories that would be excellent ground works for a book.
Am I the only one that feels this way?

Here is your (you)

That's not a difference.
Take wolves for example, they're usually beasts but when you're fighting the treebeard guys suddenly they're monsters and you need your silver sword. I thought maybe monsters are magical and those specific wolves are summoned via magic, but then drowners aren't magical and you still need your silver sword to kill them. Ok then maybe magical and humanoid creatures are monsters and the rest are beasts, but then the arachas are neither magical nor humanoid but they're still monsters.

How come the vodyanoi were only in first game? They were cool

Any creature that came to the world of humans from the Conjuction of The Spheres is weak to silver swords.

you must be kidding right? read thread fagget

drowners and arachas are magical, something like that in their description explains it, but they aren't natural

from what I've seen this is what happened, however it wasn't clear at all within the dialog…

Yea from what I remember you select something in the line of "I am not going to let you do that"

FOR FUCKS SAKE
I've been dick ripping for quite some with this quest, the one where the bitch witch leads you to the forest and you ahve to defend her from some wraiths
witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Melitele's_Heart

why the fuck are they so buggy on this fucking game? they can hit some even being close to you, and matter not they just keep respawning, and fucking vitality and vigor just take forever to recover

al-fucking-right
I had the last straw with this fucking game,
that battle with the other witcher was so fucking hard,
and its that the combat alone make it hard, but the add the glitchy game mechanics and its dick ripping battle
I'm switching this mothefucking game to easy…

Leshens do a magic thing to mark places and creatures and turn them into something like a phylactery which is probably why you have to use silver on them. More likely though it's just a mistake the devs made or a convenience choice so you dont have to keep going through the sword changing animation.

Not remotely. It's just a bunch of fanfiction with fairytales at first but eventually leans heavy into a retarded romance between a magic hag and a man who cannot stop being a serial filanderer who is simultaneously cucked by the hag who magics herself to be pretty (most witches do)
then there's the not-daughter who's entire existence to not get raped because she's got the dank elf-human mongrel genes and at one point she's almost raped but then a lesbian helps her and essentially rapes her and they fall "in love" until she dies, but then she's almost raped again by the elf king but he finds her lack of knife-ears too disgusting or something (despite elf women only ever looking good when they are basically aryan beauties with ear deformities, but not in this lore I guess)
Also that one time the party is going after the lesbian-rape-victim-turned-Stockholm-lover or something and one of the crew is pregnant but they're really far off and they argue about murdering the unborn baby or leaving her or something for a while but then miscarriage happens so it was all pointless to argue anyway
Then Witcher gets killed just as prophesied: by some random shmuck with a pitchfork

The Witcher sucks. Read a real man's serial adventure series.

I forgot to mention the lezzy witch coven that messes with governments because feminism, though they are never shown in a positive light so whatever. Triss is also garbage in the novels.
Ciri is garbage. Yen is ultra garbage. Geralt is alright but lame in comparison to other adventure novel heroes who do the whole "hunter" deal. The setting is not as interesting or as unique, either.

Man, Vampire Hunter D is mary sue.

Have you ever read the novels? Dude has to fight just as hard as anybody, but he's actually interesting in design and function with unique aspects, unlike Geralt.
I mean, you really don't find anything half as interesting as the cyber-western-middle ages in the Witcher.
Wait, doesn't Ciri visit the modern times of Poland or something and come across airplanes, etc.? I forgot about that.
Still, D is just a more rich series all around.

the actual fuck? this isn't the only way right?
what are the choices that leaded here? for fuck sake, this is freaky stuff

Is that the baron from W3? What did you do to kill him?

If you pick a certain route, he kills himself.

Does it have to do with the wife plot? Or is it earlier than that?

W1 has the best alchemy and arguably the best RPG character progression. A magic-using character can actually kill shit with magic, unlike 2 and 3.

3 has the best combat by far, but it's generally too easy so it doesn't get a lot of mileage out of the mechanics. Arguably the best story, simply because it has a consistent main plot that doesn't go off on useless tangents (like W1) or stop dead in the middle (like W2). YMMV on exactly how good that story is.

2 I guess you could say has the best challenge. Played on the harder difficulties at least some of the fights might actually kick your ass a bit, but the combat controls terribly and everything mechanical about it just feels like shit to use.

not sure if it was the case, other user can fill in if not…
but it seems freeing the forest spirit triggers it, the spirit frees the children of the swamp,
his wife get blamed for that and gets turned into a hag
then there is a choice between vodoo dolls, not sure if there is a right choice, but she gets burned like that
pretty fucking bizarre if you ask,
still haven't figured out whats the deal with the three witches and that spirit blob

see
combat on 2 is fucking bullshit, not it only it is fucking hard on normal, controls and hitbox are glitchy as hell,
you would think it requires skill, but its just basically rage simulator

I don't remember exactly, but yeah, I think freeing the tree spirit is what causes it.

Agreed. Witcher 2's combat is clunky as hell.

You can free the spirit before talking to the witches and the plot there sort of just ends rather than having her die and him kill himself.

if you let out the crazy evil thing in the base of the tree his wife dies and he ends up killing himself, if not he takes his wife to the mountains to try and get her fixed. Iirc it's basically that if you try to save the kids she dies and he kills himself, if you don't save the kids she lives but he leaves anyways so it doesn't really change anything.

monsters are things that came into the world after the conjunction of spheres.

Nigger what. Igni is just as stupid OP in 3 as it is in 1 if not more so since you get fuckloads of +sign potency really easily with blue mutagens and the griffin armor, plus Yrden can be turned into a good damage spell as well whereas it's basically trash in all the other games. I'm pretty sure Igni could get almost as broken in 2 as well but I don't remember, I specced into a little bit of everything in 2 and unlike 1 and 3 you can't do that and still get all the top tier shit.

W1's progression system basically forces you to be a jack of all trades since you get so many bronze and silver talent points, even with there being six melee trees, five sign trees, and I don't remember how many basic trait and alchemy trees unless you actively choose not to spend points you're going to end up with pretty much all the low level stuff.

W2 has the most restrictive progression with the fewest number of talents, but since it's so short you've only got time to get around one full tree and half of another so choices feel more important. It's a shame alchemy is kind of turned into a false choice by the shitty way potions work but overall I think it accomplishes its purpose better than the other two since it has the highest concentration of talents that affect playstyle rather than add flat number boosts to options you already have.

W3 progression is probably the worst since while there may be a fuckload of talents with multiple levels each, and fewer relative skill points available than in 1, so many of them are boring as shit or outright useless. Stuff like the alternate modes for each sign are fantastic but who gives a fuck about weapon oils adding a 15% chance to poison and granting 20% damage reduction, or +25% critical damage on crossbow shots that won't even deal 1% of a monsters health in damage anyway?

Nigga thats top tier
Poison deals damage based on enemy's max health, it makes high level farming very easy and allows you to kill enemies with lots of health without much trouble.
Though I do not understand the point of crossbow. It has its own ammunition and perks but the only reason to use it is underwater or to ground flying enemies.

Why bother with poison when it's so easy to get 100% ignite chance on igni that also seems to deal % of max health? Basically every fight in the game can be ended in 2-3 igni casts which have the added benefit of locking enemies into the burning animation for as long as it takes for your stamina to come back and do it again.

because there are enemies in the game which are immune to igni or hardcoded to avoid it.
Also the igni chance is affected by enemy levels so its not very viable for high level farming.

Also igni itself does shit damage no matter what. In W1 I remember walking into most enemies in acts 4 and 5 and just 1-shotting them in a 360 degree radius.

For a technical definition, in the world of The Witcher monsters are weak to silver, so steel works on wolves, but silver works on barghests.
But as Geralt says, both swords are for monsters. Some monsters are capable of reason and compassion, and some humans are not.

And that's after the game got a downgrade to run on current-gen POS consoles. Imagine what would have been possible without it.

Fuck. I must have played through the game at least four times and I never got that quest. I thought I managed everything.

There are other routes out of that side-plot. Getting the worst ending is a real punch in the gut. The first time I finished TW3 I got the bad end and I didn't play it again for ages because I was just fucking depressed.

The tree spirit is actually the mother of the three hags, and the hags kept her locked up in the hill to prevent her from doing any more damage/to keep her power for themselves, depending on how you read in to it. There is a book in the game that goes in to the backstory of the hags and the tree spirit if you can find it.

TW1 alchemy is the best. Based on its own little table of elements, including primary and secondary elements, you make up your own potions with room for experimentation, or just read the books and get recipes that way. I wish other games would go in to more detail like that instead of just "5 of this herb and a bit of goats blood" or whatever.

well it changes quite a lot in terms of roleplay
doesn't he even pay you anything?

what the fuck was that all about?

I WANT TO FUCK CIRI

thanks for the very relevant pic related, but why isn't actual quality porn from it?

that is TW2 btw, one is the quest from that medallion, gives +1 vitality after solved,
the other is part of the main quest I guess, where you have to fight the king slayer witcher for the first time

pretty bizarre part of lore, don't you come across the hags or the tree spirit again later in the game? can't you kill them?

I didn't realize that the point of no return would be so early so I never finished the Raven armour quest despite getting all of the stuff. Unless there are some other goodies that carry over into 2 then I don't really want go back to play with this insufferable combat system for a few more hours.
2 is downloading now, should I go back and get the last minute stuff?
Sage because pretty dead thread.

this isn't reddit nor cuckchan

Not sure about the tree spirit since I killed them the first time I saw them but you do fight the hags again you fight them one other time depending on your ending

Nothing worthwhile carries over from 1 to 2, everything becomes obsolete by like halfway through the prologue.

Basically the entire plot of her character right there, mate.

What the plough is this shit?
Is there a mod for this?
Is it any better in 3?

There are combat overhaul mods for W2, I don't know if any of them will be able to fix the gripes you have with it since I only played it once and did a mod-less run.

Nice joke faggot. Everything in Witcher 3 is complete trash.
Worthless.
Worthless. Everything you'll get from those quests is shit and useless thanks to witcher gear. Besides every single witcher contract is literally carrot on a stick type of quest where you just hold right mouse button and follow red color.
No challenge whatsoever. It literally shows you where to find it.
Just smash left mouse button, use potions and game will do everything else for you.
Yes, the game can look nice in certain areas (forests, open fields, Skellige) but Novigrad looks like absolute shit thanks to horrible texture pop-in 10 metres in front of you. Also anti-aliasing on distant trees is horrendous.
Mostly useless. Game is so easy you don't have to think where to put your skill points. It simply doesn't matter. Only thing which matter is your level and items.
There is like 50 different armors and weapons but they're useless since witcher gear is better than everything you loot or craft.
In Witcher 1 getting a new armor/sword was a special moment since there are only 3 armor sets and around 10 swords or so. And Witcher 3? Just let some fucktard in middle of fucking nowhere to craft™ you the best sword in game.

Loot is worthless yet items and level are the only thing that matters

Witcher gear you have to spend some time acquiring, needing said quest rewards to progress. I'll agree that contracts and hunting could have been better, but W2 was the same and W1 was just "look at top of screen to see vibrating medallion". Its never been a thing with the games.

I suppose you don't have to use the waypoints, but also you have to be certain levels to reach gear and fight through enemies to get to them.

W1 combat was a crappy rhythm game where you may die and then simply pop the right potions because you know what is coming. W2 was light and heavy attack with the same trial and error approach to potions.

I don't remember those pop-ins. I did run the game on nearly all Ultra though.

Leveling always sucked in the games. This was going to happen as the combat was cleaned up to simply play better so even if you never level up you could theoretically skill your way through.

A big 100 hour open world RPG with a few weapons and armours wouldn't be very good. Witcher gear was already covered, you have to work for it and earn it so it makes sense to be better, doubly so that Geralt is a Witcher trained to fight in certain armours (as dumb as that sounds, its lore).

Weren't blacksmiths leveled, so the masters were rare and had to be found? Again, what is wrong with a big open world RPG giving you a reason to explore and travel?

managed to describe pretty perfectly, I've decided to go on easy instead, since I prize my dick and rather enjoy the story

any hints to which mods are those? to the other user too, if he managed to find something gud, though I'm guessing not much is able to fix the game like that

It should be possible to have an AI run through the game a zillion times with various leveling options, and adjusting for when it finds something game-breakingly easy

She is the only one lower than Triss, and thats very low.

No you faggots, just power through it. The tutorial is one of the hardest parts of the game.

You're not wrong, but neither are they. The combat in 2 is really only challenging when fighting multiple humans which is what the prologue is all about but it is also clunky and punishing throughout.

user, may I ask you, did you just made this yourself? how?

That's how they books are for the most part, a series of single adventures, sometimes with an overarching goal.

The guy you're replying to.

I am aware of that and its telling that books strongest stories/chapters are the same as the games. I'm dead serious with the next game, if there is one, having it be several stand alone stories. Perhaps throw in some side quest that goes throughout all the acts which ends with some kind of "face the consequences of your actions" but in a side quest form.

Nice tits, I guess, but the photo is so touched up in photoshop that I thought it was concept art at first.

I'd be down for that, but still in an open world. Something like Witcher 3 but with just… sidequesting. No overarching narrative (maybe one "main" storyline per region), just a bunch of well thought-out sidequests. Because to me, that was the best part - ignoring the main quest, riding around the countryside, finding people in need of aid, solving the problem as best I could, and then continuing on. I put something like 170 hours into that game on a single playthrough (not counting the DLCs, where I probably spent a hundred more), and if I missed any quests, it couldn't have been more than a handful. Shit, now I'm wanting to replay it, but I want to read the books before I do.

I really wish CDPR had released the modding tools like they said they were going to. Then maybe someone could have remade Witcher 1 and 2 in Witcher 3's engine by now… 3's combat may be weak, but it's still miles better than 1 and 2's.

I think the best way to do the multiple stories approach would be a few Toussaint sized areas with maybe some smaller areas thrown in for shorter parts. It would still be a massive game, but the areas are separated once you are finally ready to move onto another.

we need more lewds, both Yen and Triss look amazing in the new game, please post them!

Bitcher is the self-insert wank fantasy of some alcoholic slavshit, can't believe some people see this trash as good writing.

no wonder you're a virgin loser with no friends

wish i had a sorceress gf to look after me

Stop going to reddit then

go back to your cuck of thrones faggot

I remember there was an in-game book which said the thing in the tree was the mother of the crones.

It's the same shit, basic-soap-opera-sex-fantasies for manchildren.

Yes, and?
If you want more sophisticated entertainment, shouldn't you be somewhere else then?

She slowly went insane and dangerous, her daughters couldn't kill her so they trapped her soul in the tree

Since when wore story driven RPG games focused on combat? Name one that has "good combat". And DS is not a story driven RPG, it has shit/non existant story telling

If it was one of the sorceresses it would make sense as they're all ugly and hide it with magic, why is tumblr so obsessed with making everything ugly?

The Witcher is a shit wRPG
It's not good. Period.
I don't know why people think its writing has any level of quality.

nwlibertyacademy.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/communist_goals.pdf

I'm almost certain you're thinking of one of the series written by Tamora Pierce. Not sure which one.

aren't her daughters insane and dangerous?

It's got a 'lesser evil' thing going on. The crones serve to highlight the nature of life in Velen and no-man's-land, and they've also got their analogue (tree spirit granting prosperity in exchange for sacrifice) in Skellige as well.

They made the crones too niggardly with their blessings to rise the question if Velen was better off with them or without them, which is a shame, because the way it was, Geralt and Ciri's rampage of revenge fucking up the local order didn't seem like a big deal.

a nordic witch and a nordic mercenary to be exact.

What?
It was fucking on the nose with it. The crones give blessings to the humans for sacrifice while the tree spirit only cared about nature itself. If you side with the spirit, the villagers start dying. So if you saved the children the villagers were double fucked because they lost the blessings of the crones on top of getting fucked by the tree spirit.