Games you wanted to be good but weren't

This game literally made me rage just because of disappointment. The good was outweighed so much by the bad.

The Good

The Bad

Any games that bitterly disappointed you in particular anons?

I liked the variety and some of the improvements but the game lost all its charm. I haven't checked all the names in the credits but I'm sure all the designers must've been different people.

Pic related.
The Good

The Bad
Every part of the game that actually matters, sucks. Pic related for my autistically long steam review where I went into detail with this.
Maybe in like 3 years it'll be a game worth playing, but I doubt it because Paradox have said that they're never going to change the way the economy works, which means that one of the fundamental problems that makes so many other things shit, will never be fixed.

Positive
The negatives
It isn't a bad game, but it's just so much worse than it could have been

It's a real shame. I wanted CK/EU in space and got the most watered down mechanics instead. It's like the homeopathy of strategy games.

There is a huge list
Good but very far from 2k4

They tried but it wasnt a really good attempt. Fun, but balance is all over the place and it gets tiring really quick

I just wanted one of these games to work, just one. At least I didnt buy

Nu paradox. The core game is horrible, not even fixed by their infamous Buy all dlcs to get the full experience. Mid to late game the game is unplayable performance wise. A shame, because half of the features are good, it just needs heavy, very heavy modding and functional multi thread. At least I only wasted my time

The name speaks for itself

The list is long but I realized most of them are games I hoped to be good but it was undoubtedly obvious they were going to be horrible. Aka nudoom

What the fuck, who thought this would be a good idea?

Damn, Carmack is a hack.

Pretty much every heavily advertised game from the last 10 years.

John Carmack is not a game designer. He's an engine designer. If he had had complete creative control of the development of Doom and Quake they would have been shit games, but cool tech demos.

GTA IV was great, it exceeded my expectation.

His engines apart from Doom and Quake 1-3 aren't that good either. They tried to push novelty rather than emphasizing practicality.

I'm just greentexting you before someone else does it.

A Machine for Pigs
Been a fan of Frictional since Penumbra and assumed a game with their blessing focused on swine would be pretty spooky, different dev or not

Super glad the public hated it as much as I did and they recovered nicely with Soma

The only reasons to hate on DX:HR are either because it's not DooSex 1 or because it's a generic AAA shitter game. Both points are pretty petty and invalid.

It's so much better than the other "10/10" GOTY shit that's been shoveled like Bioshit/Bioshit Infinite, but people refuse to praise it.

Dragon' Dogma

I am going to say you're full of shit just because of those two points. Combat is better than in any other open world rpg. And characters look fine enough to fit in the game's world, if you discount ps3 era textures.

I do not agree that the combat is better than anything, it's just a fucking number game.

You absolutely cannot win if you do not level up, this is not a skill-based game here.

I played 20 hours of it and it never got better.
And yeah, those characters are fucking horrendous, even by western games standards. I can't believe it's a japanese game.
DMC3 on a previous console had much better ones.

Payed full price for this POS.

Go play god of war instead, at least that game has actual challenge.

Except DMC3 is not an rpg.

It's still a fantastic game on its own but didn't even come close to what I was hoping for

I was talking about characters models.

Nigga I'm just baiting, DMC3 is a golden experience, it's one of my favorite games. I just wanted to get someone talking about it.

I had alot of fun on nightmare difficulty or whatever its called despite the game being short especially on my first and only play through.

Make a thread duh.

I'll give you the rest but fuck that, dude.
AoA/RC was always meant to be a recapitulation/conclusion of the series as a whole and that's what it delivered.
And calling slave knight gael a whimper is dumb.

Dark soul or not he doesn't really stack up to the final bosses before him, he kind of comes out of nowhere and his motivations are too vague to be relevant

It's especially jarring when the same game has Soul of Cinder and Nameless King before him, both of which encapsulate the series perfectly due to their heavy roots in the lore

Am I supposed to know or give a shit who Slave Knight Gael is?
inb4 Soulsfags come in and tell me exactly who is is, i know who he is, it's a rhetorical question

Reminder that they wanted to make DooM with Rage graphics on an urban setting

Elite Dangerous.

The visual and audio design are unbelievably good. They almost carry the game by themselves. In fact they arguably do carry it for a while.

But the gameplay is just… they completely shoot themselves in the foot at every turn. Tedium is injected everywhere, and when they consider making something less tedious, like letting you have ships delivered to your location, the whales complain and demand it be ruined somehow (in ship delivery's case, with a hefty delay because fuck anyone who has a job and limited playtime available) and the devs comply.

They even added new shit to increase a grindwall before PvP (engineers) which is like, the worst thing you can do in a PvP game. Worse than P2W even because at least with P2W you can blow the cash if you really want to. P2W sucked in Tribes Ascend but I was willing to throw the dosh at them to skip the grind. And I'd be willing to throw dosh at Frontier to just get my ship fully engineered without the grind (if I still played), but the way they have it now you have no choice. You either grind or you get mauled in PvP. Fuck that. I have disposable income I'm willing to spend; I do not have huge amounts of time. P2W is shitty but navigable. Grind is a dealbreaker.

Oh but I guess it technically is P2W anyways because you have to buy Horizons just for the chance to grind engineers.

Such a fucking shame to see such great graphics and sound go to waste.

Looks like story driven co-op garbage like CoD, or Resistance at best. We're lucky he quit by the time NuDoom was developed.

I don't even understand why people thought the graphics for this game were good. I played it on 360 and the textures were blurry as fuck and there was a LOT of pop-in delay.

There were better looking games. It was an empty soulless shit game. But it had the iD brand behind it I guess.

Most of those complaints stem from consoles being dogshit. I'd say LA Noire was really good for a first try, especially so when considering the troubled development of the game.

More flashy maybe. M&B's combat is so much better it's not funny anymore.

All of them

I played Borderlands right after finishing Rage. I kept thinking "this is the game Rage should have been". Poor design decisions made Rage a "meh" game instead of one to be played over and over.

Bioshock Infinity:

Doom3:

I agree on the world, the story, grinding and the jump restriction for classes but pawns are pretty useful and I found that were enough abilities for every class and the pacing at which you unlock them is pretty good. Also the combat is pretty cool unless you play Mage/Sorcerer. I didn't really pay attention to characters that much (I'm not a waifufag like 95% of the DD fanbase) but they seemed okay enough, considering the game is pretty old. Overall I would give the game a 6 to 7/10. Not an absolute masterpiece but not really bad either.

Yeah, consolization is the source of almost every issue with the game. Still, it's a terrible PC port, but I can't blame Team Bondi all that much, especially now that they're bankrupt.

A bunch of faggots in the team really wanted to make that garbage. So much that they quit ID when it was decided they wouldnt make the game like that.

Thats how much retarded game devs are nowadays, i always see people blaming consolefaggots and dumb gaymers for games being shit but the reality is that a lot of devs are just idiots as well.

I honestly felt like Rage was trying to be "Borderlands done properly" but somewhere in development there must have been severe division tugging the game in different directions. It could have been a fun Mad Max style wasteland shooter RPG but it wasn't.

Warframe

Says the guy who would take ages coding what Carmack can code in a couple of hours.

For me, once the "OMG this looks awesome" wore off, Rage was just meh. Borderlands, by contrast, was mindless fun, and lots of it. Different strokes, I guess.

IMO id knows how to make good game engines (maybe its just Carmack), but they don't know much about gameplay, not after Doom, anyway.

(nope, didn't think much of Quake either, even though it had great atmosphere. All the monsters were bullet-sponges)

(loved QTF though)

Toaster with 1gb VRAM confirmed. Looks great on my R9 380. Perhaps I'm biased because I got it for a dollar, but I thought it was alright gameplaywise, and it has one of the best shotguns in gaming as of late.

fuck this buggy mess

What's funny is that Borderlands was originally supposed to be a straight forward post apocalyptic game. They changed it to a more cartoony one after they noticed they preferred the art style in their concept art compared to the style they were actually trying to implement in the game.

I can make a better game with gamemaker studio.

Well if they're tried to play it straight, the game probably would have been super shit, so I guess they made the right choice.

You forgot something

Yeah and not having that wouldn't make it an RPG.

Kill yourself cuck.

This game will always in my mind be the shining example of mediocrity. Fuck, it was aggressively mediocre. Brown color palette, post-apocalypse, FPS, open world, etc. They didn't even try.

She stuck out like a sore thumb for being so attractive compared to every other NPC. You fell for the marketing bait. Looking back, she reminds me of Cindy from FFXV.

Whenever I attempted to play RAGE, I felt like I was going through an unfinished indieshit that was released 2 decades ago and was never famous.

That's how horribly bad it is.

The aesthetics are amazing even if they went a bit overboard with effects, I love the visual design of enemies, the animations are plentiful and good. I also love this artstyle but I don't know how to identify it (tell me if you've got a name for it), it reminds me of Diablo games and other isometric rpgs. It isn't pixel art (well the character models aren't), it just seems that way in stills.
The backgrounds and environment actually looks like something someone would describe as "looks like a metal cover" as opposed to other games of the type where you play a generic metalhead character with bikes and shit.

This was supposed to be a kind of a metal Castevania type game but instead it's hold right and mash attack against damage sponge enemies: the game. It's incredibly tedious to play through even though it's short and the music is the most boring, unimaginative metal with pointless droning riffs here and there. A couple of tracks aren't bad but I would've preferred actual songs.

Hopefully the Valfaris game they're making turns out better.

She only exists in game to throw sticks. Hence a worthless character.

Then why don't you?

It managed to capture the essence of a boring hack and slash game yet not be one. That's pretty much how I'll always see it.

so long
farewell
until we meet again

What game is this? Reverse google image just gives the "action adventure game" wikipedia article.

It was actually really good.

Fogot to mention the game is really easy to exploit, place some dirt in front of doors and you're immortal.

You can absolutely prepare unless you get screwed by RNG and get a goblin raid on your first day.
I don't know what game you thought this was
???
The only random items are non-progression related, like unique weapons and cosmetics. You can easily beat the game without any rare drops.
Dude you just suck at videogames
Why the fuck would you want to spend time playing the worst part of the game?
I assume you're talking about the hardmode bosses. They new mechanics to each fight so I wouldn't call them copy-paste but I can see why you would say that.
The only bullet sponge boss is early game king slime, which is an entirely optional boss.

How do you do anything from inside house???

dragon's dogma

Slain: Back From Hell

I'm not sure what I was expecting. I can say that it's one of the few games I've played that is less than the sum of its parts.
At least mercenaries is fun.

Holy fucking shit. Is 8/v/ being migration bait for tumblr?

Sure I can see that but I wanted it to be more. I always thought metal covers/music could serve as an amazing template for a fantasy/sword and sorcery game.

calm your tits, he probably googled the picture and took the first one to pop up.

The cynical answer would be all of them.

It's almost impressive how much the managed to fuck up 2. The gameplay is so close to the original, but all of the small little changes here and there just ruin the whole thing.

Bust out the armory? Build a wall and bottleneck them. They even drop Spiked balls. Which fucking recks them. There's plenty you can do.
You went into a game expecting something other than it was. Doesn't make it bad.
You didn't bring one up. Being absolutely efficient isn't required in Terraria. it just helps depending on how you do it. Though putting your NPC's directly next to each other only makes it easier to have them all killed at once by an invasion. The only efficiency you'de be saving is being able to go to each one of them to buy something more easily. You can save time by stocking up on their supplies though so again I don't see how this is an argument.
He's saying that you don't have to farm for particular weapons or armor to be able to beat the game. There's nothing wrong with it though since you get a lot of fun loot and gold from them.
This is what's called overkill. If you spend a lot of time preparing you get what's good for you. If you don't like preparing then go play some other basic action game that any retard could beat. But you can absolutely beat most bosses with a minimal amount of preparing provided you git gud and use the correct items for the job.
They have more HP and drop better loot. It's a NG+ sort of feature for people asking for a bit more difficult. Are you really cherry picking this?
god forbid the game punishes you for being shit.
Get better weapons and stop being shit. Learn how to use buffs and experiment. A boss fight will usually never take more than 10 minutes anyway because they usually despawn once night ends.
Building insane contraptions is hella fun. I think this just isn't your game. You're not actually criticizing anything, you're just mad it's not the game you wanted it to be.

For the first ten hours, it was a better version of GTA V

Then the next ten hours, it was a scam to get you to buy microtransactions.

same here. all i wanted was crusader kings in space. instead i got some shitty RTS/TBS garbage hybrid where everything is broken, nothing is satisfying, and the whole thing feels half-finished. it's my own fault for expecting anything from the shitbags who gated critical AI fixes behind a $5 DLC for EUIV

>Try siting though it, apparently the player is god and am cringing fucking so hard at this point.

If the game was just charming instead of cringey and needlessly depressing it be fucking fine. But boy can't be a story unless we make everything shitty.

Fucking hell, should have just got lisa instead.

I bet the thing doesn't scroll pixel by pixel either.

I can't tell if GTA Online is only as terrible as it is because Rockstar got greedy or Take-Two fucked them over. Or both

Cute Fennekin is the best partner

Rage is good if you set your expectations properly.

Bad gamer!
Very very bad!

Yeah, no kidding. It's a crying shame since the first one I'd consider a classic and certainly among the best platformers of the era.