Synthwave, 80's Cyberpunk and similar aesthetics

This aesthetic is fucking great, and i'm seeing a lot of games using it nowadays.
What games are you guys playing that use it? Anything worth a look or that is going to release soon?

I really hope that Lithium City is good, it has a lot of potential to be fucking great.

Vaporwave can come too i guess, though i don't know if you can make a vaporwave themed game.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/ruinergame/status/890909022370631681
daffodil.itch.io/executive-towers
daffodil.itch.io/virtua-blinds
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You might want to check out All Walls Must Fall, it's from the Spec Ops The Line devs

Does Ecco count?

Aesthetics aside it's one of the best hard sci fi games, with a masterpiece of atmosphere.

A lot of games I'm seeing use this style are generic shlock. Furi and Hotline Miami are one of the few exceptions. Hotline Miami was good because it was dirty as fuck and used its style to make it grungier. Furi was good because it was unique, stylish, told a good story and had execution to match. Most other games can't pull off what those two did.

user, wtf is this?

I don't think so? at least in terms of aesthetics, it doesn't have anything that i remember that linked it to the genre.
I could be wrong, it's been decades since i played them.

well, it's easy to overlap Synthwave and the 80's with cyberpunk, and cyberpunk is a very wide genre, sometimes you can find a lot of nods to it but the devs actually are only referencing other cyberpunk works and the entire 80's synthwave/new wave get jumbled with it.

I wish any of these aesthetic games actually managed to do something else than just being "racing but with cool looks".

There was another game that looked amazing, drift something something, and that was all it was.

Dunno man, give me a driver like experience or something, I don't care about racing in 4 courses.

A kickstarter?

I wonder (((who))) is behind this post.

Right, I forgot that Kickstarter was never good and no good games have been made because of it
how silly of me

That is not looking good user, it's not looking good at all.

It's a company that has no funding that is trying to make an indie game, this is very different from the big kickstarters you usually see where they already have a bunch of private backers

I think they're good devs and they've been updating their shit really frequently and actually have a playable game when they said they would.

Not to mention this is a 13 euro game, it's not a full priced release.

Ecco is more of a case of inspiring a genre as opposed to being inspired by a genre (in this case vaporwave uses a lot of ecco iconography and themes)

Wait lemme respond to you in an appropriate manner

Really? I don't hear a lot of vaporwave so i wouldn't know.
Though, if you think about it, ecco is very exoteric in it design, dunno if by limitation of the tech and hardware or if by deliberations of the devs, so it's not that shocking to see it fitting in the vaporwave genre.

Please lurk before you post, faggot.

How is satellite reign?

Meh.

Could you be a bit more explicit?

99% of these games just use "aesthetic" as an excuse for poor colors and excessive bloom.

But its cool

Decent, runs like absolute ass though

go play the 2014 Strider remake, it's good

Animations are bland.
Graphics are bad.
Performance is bad for its graphics.
All you do is capture parts of the open world via like 3 or 4 infiltration mission types.
You can redo some of them to earn extra cash and exp, which opens gates for grinding.
Combat is slow, everything is damage sponge, both enemies and your dudes.
Only 4 agent types and you can only have 1 per type in your squad, you can't mix and match.
Half of the promised features were not implemented because "lol we overestimated ourselves, sry guys :)"
Everything has tron lines despite trying to be bladerunner 80s cyberpunk.

It's nor bad game, but it's just not good.

Thanks user. That was really helpful. I know what I won't be playing.

I just wanted old syndicate with modern control scheme and it's just isn't it.
Maybe my expectations were wrong or something.

I feel like the team bit off more than they could chew. The worst thing is that this didn't even sell decently so it's certain they won't try again

The real problem with satellite reign is that they followed syndicate gameplay too much, the game has no pause, is full on real time, trying to manage 4 units at the same time in a game where cover is very important and the units don't have any AI to help you makes the game a chore to play.
If it took some gameplay ideas from baldur's gate and the Ufo series, the game would be a lot better.

Isn't it the other way around? Syndicate didn't have cover system, or any abilities and other bloat that SR has, combat was fast, fun and effective. Everything could die in a second, both enemies and your dudes.
Complexity was in setting up your dudes and managing regions on the world map, not in actual missions.
In a way satellite reign is anti-syndicate. You need a lot of micro management in combat, but there is barely any macro management.

Remember the 80's? OP sure doesn't. Devs don't either if they use this aesthetic.

Eh. I was born in 89 so I didn't experience the era first hand, but was always enamored by 80s cyber punk sci fi.
I still am.
It's kinda ironic that the most representation in visual media it got in the form of anime.

when i say they followed syndicate's gameplay, i mean the way you control your units, then added a lot of shit on top of it.
For a simple game like syndicate, it's okay to have this gameplay, you basically bunch all 4 characters and blow everything up.
But when you make the player use stealth and put in cover systems in your game, leaving the gameplay as is just don't work.

It's the 3D equivalent of indie "retro" a.k.a. low effort pixel art

Synthwave isn't cyberpunk. You just used them like they're the same thing. Disgusting.

Look at the subject of the thread, nigger.

synthwave is more fitting to cyberpunk than vaporwave, fuck you

It's thread about both, semen magician, of course they are not the same thing.

There's a guy in AGDG making a Cyberpunk game with aesthetic.

neat
why

Did you forget E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy was also a Half-Life 2 mod?

nigga you best be joking, what the fuck is EYE if not hl2 mod?

Just rips off the visuals from Blade-Runner and Miami Vice.

Why not give us a proper Miami Vice-game instead? With being undercover and all, going in deep for months on end to bust drug-lords and other mafia-bosses.

that still look very drab, it needs more neon signs and drum fires.
It has potential, hope he can make something worth playing.

we got china instead

something you lift all the assets from when you say you're going to make your own cyberpunk game and then get confused when people deride it as a mod

Synthwave is cyberpunk because we are currently living in a cyberpunk dystopia and the genre is based on capturing the feeling of a better time.

EYE was good in spite of being a glorified HL2 mod. I was hoping for something that would capture the same feel in a better engine.

The lighting is as drab as it is because he fucked it up apparently and has to redo it all.

Is he also redoing the voices?

Here

Better question.. what the fuck would a vaporwave game even be like?

It would be very memey, meta & 'ironic'.
It should be short (five/six hours) with a focus on fun, to keep the player from becoming bored and realizing how silly it is before it is over and done with.

As much as I hate to say it, I think a vaporwave game would need to be a walking sim. Vaporwave is all about the mood it evokes, slightly sleepy, and oddly reminiscent of a bygone era full of promise and potential that now feels just slightly sour.

Maybe some kind of surreal old mall where everyone looks like a low-poly mannequin and the sounds of lo-fi muzak over the radio permeates things. maybe the longer you explore, the more surreal things get. And then, for fun, you can grab a skateboard and do rad tricks off stuff, Tony Hawk style.

Well, that wouldn't be an incorrect statement.

Am I the only one who is getting kinda tired of that aesthetic? Seems like everyone's been trying to copy Drive and Hotline Miami.

I'm getting sick of sticking high amounts of bloom and neon lighting and eye raping color combinations, sticking some halfassed synthwave in there and calling it a day

I would be vaporware

It would be walking through a mall that never ends, like a looping corridor with the droning music in the background.
As stated would be a walking sim. and the goal is to escape. To escape you have to be the perfect consumer. the twist is you cant escape the game just puts you back at the beginning as if nothing happened all the while acknowledging the fact that it is a game.
TBH I think a vaporwave game would be shitty

You just described "Venture Bros."

Put on some slowed down Diana Ross in the background and you've got Venturewave.

Cyberpunk is more closely related to film noir than it is to the future and hyper urbanization.

Anything that ends in -wave or -punk is cancer

A frog holding a brick? That's just weird,

Yes, you are just jaded and hate fun tbh.

twitter.com/ruinergame/status/890909022370631681
I'm fairly optimistic about the direction they showed with the game, release date soon apparently

detective thriller taking place on the fringes of society and the backstreets of cyberspace

Cyberpunk: hightech, lowlife

Crazy what 7 years of difference does. T1 looks like shit, T2 looks fucking amazing even by today's standards.

So Undertale?

Well, yeah. That's what the cyber- and -punk affixes imply.

T1 still looks great on bluray you hack

I really wished Satellite Reign was turn based ala Shadow Tactics.

Eccojams is considered one of the founding pieces of Vaporwave, for what it's worth. Even though comparing it to what vaporwave ended up being and becoming is like comparing fifties rock and roll to the grunge of the nineties cause they're both rock.

I find that HLM doesn't really have that much synthwave in it. It's mostly experimental or noise. very little of the soundtrack bears a strong resemblance to Perturbator's or Lazerhawk's music.

What about the second one, was that a bit more played safe?

It's awful.

Calling synthwave cyberpunk is like calling the blade runner soundtrack EDM. It's wrong.

You know where I can get a full version of the song? I like this edit.

Not really, given that it springs from Gibson's Neuromancer and Blade Runner, both of which are are globalist fantasies (in the sense of setting, not politics).

Vangelis describes himself as Electronica, I believe.

Actually, that was easy to find.

As i said in the OP, i don't have the foggiest idea what a vaporwave game would be like, or if it's even possible.
Maybe a point&click adventure where you delve on the mind of a broken man to try to save his like or discover something about a crime or shit.

For me, cyberpunk is any setting where new technologies, mostly having to do with interaction with other people or trans-humanism, get a very big breakthrough, the world still don't have the infrastructure to comport the growing markets around this new technologies and there is a break in society causing it to collapse, but just enough so that the countries, communities and society don't actually get erased, but their way of life is completely changed in a small amount of time. Normally the popularity of the new techs make the companies that invented/produce it get so big that they can safely push governments around, bypassing laws and directing the countries to their benefit.

It's not set in stone of course, i don't remember Akira having a company pulling the strings from the shadows, and in ghost in the shell society is not a broken shell of what it used to be, but i think that's a good generalization for cyberpunk, lots of cables, CRT monitors, overabundance of ads and banners, ghettos full of people exiled from society, cybernetic implants on everything and a sense that something has gone really bad, but no one seem to acknowledge it

I'm probably talking out of my ass anyway, but that's what i think.

>treasure
It's probably used tbh.

Theres like 80 of them on itch.io and they're all terrible just like vaporwave currently is

Drift Stage. It was just a tech demo, but the driving itself was very tight and hard to master - I never beat the expert speed trial. It's a racing game though, sounds like you want something open-world.

Honestly, GTAV with a good soundtrack did the trick for me as a rule. Get a Ruiner and just drive through the sunset.

It's ok, I guess, if you're really jonesing for some cyberpunk. It felt like combat was always either much too fast or much too slow. Doing smash-and-grab on some corporate facility, or high-tailing it out of a huge complex with cops on your ass always felt great, though. It gives you the heist feeling that Shadowrun is supposed to.

I did the first 3 maps, never finished the final one. I might go back to it at some point, but it started to wear a little thin, and the tech/loot thing was getting a bit repetitive - oh look, it's but instead it's . There wasn't a ton of variety in missions, either.

Graphics aren't that bad, but they fell for the meme where you mix grunge with inexplicably-formed high tech and it just doesn't work as a rule. In your screencap, the respawn beacon and armor are perfect examples of that.

That's because this is neo-80s, not actual 80s. It turned into its own thing a while back.

My friend and I have been trying to figure that question out. Not the memey sense, but how to capture the flow/feeling that the more somber examples of the genre has in a playable way. Don't really want to explain it further than that, though you've probably seen him if you visit the ADGD thread

mako and that idiots relationship made me too depressed to continue watching.

Blade Runner was noir though

Yeah, it was cyber-noir aka cyberpunk.
It's based off of a book called "Do androids dream of electric sheep?" which is by one of the prominent cyberpunk writers.

I still don't get this spacing meme. Using the quick reply box is leddit?

For future reference.

How?

are you this fucking dense?

Philip K. Dick is not Cyberpunk. Have you seen the banner up top, it says "You should learn to think before you do or say anything", if you can't remember the author's name, perhaps you shouldn't be opening your mouth about the nature of his work? Go back to where you come from if you're not even going to try to integrate.

You fucking too.

The left fears the Synthwave. A genre inaccessible to their control because it contains elements of actual beauty.

user pls

The music, maybe, but the rest of the general theme… nah. It does what it does and doesn't really fit into a genre (which, to be honest, is precisely why it's one of my favorite series of all time)

You're thinking of Drift Stage which went completely to hell in development.
Does it really need anything else though? Racing games are fairly mechanically simple.

The developers were supposedly friends with some Weird Twitter furfags so I'm not surprised their game went to shit.

fucking goon furries holy shit
it's like double cancer

Triple cancer: they were bronies too.

Why are all of the normalfags so quiet online?

Normalfags don't actually know how to use the Internet. Remember how a few years back all the Jews were talking about the web being over and the future being single-platform apps? That's where the normalfags are.

Web 2.0 was a mistake

Does this count or is it too metal?

DESYNC becomes really good

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon maybe? Haven't played it but it was advertised as such. OutDrive (vidrelated) also comes to mind.

It's shit

I still don't get how somebody could be so fucking autistic they don't know what Reddit spacing is. Double line break comes after every paragraph, NOT every sentence.

Otherwise.

Your.

Fucking.

Worthless.

Shitposts.

Take.

Up.

All.

This.

Space.

Seriously, do Redditors have special eyes that don't see this shit. What the fuck?

That one game that was just a host of increasingly more insane online rooms.

So it's just Distance with a synthwave filter? Or Nitronic Rush? And you can't even do cool shit like riding on the walls and ceilings or flying? Sounds super fucking lame onii-fam.

Song?

One of the originals.

If you complain about reddit spacing you're probably the worst tier of user on this site.
Lower then reddittors.
Lower the furries.

Just saying, you're cancer mate

How good is slain? I hear that the weapon selection is limited and the gameplay is rather slow and monotonous. What's your take on it?

I haven't actually played it yet.
I suppose you could say the same thing about Castlevania but I really can't say for myself.

>>>/cyber/

I wish it was more active

the entire neo 80s shit is such a fucking waste of potential

There actually is a vaporwave walking sim:
daffodil.itch.io/executive-towers

80s "cyberpunk" aesthetics are so overused and shitty now.

How many layers of irony are we on?

when comparing these two to one another it makes me realise how unutilized all the neon aƐsthƐtic really went back when it was supposedly a such big thing that defined an entire decade. It's a hard truth to accept that the new retro wave did 80's better than the actual 80's did , at least as far as videogames are concerned anyways

sega saturn SMT: soul hackers is the best cyberpunk game

best music, best visuals (3ds version has overly bright too clean looking shit visuals), and is a good entry in SMT

I'm glad you enjoyed it

You should also check out my game VIRTUA BLINDS

daffodil.itch.io/virtua-blinds