Tablet

What are the best specs for a tablet to emulate up to PSP through retroatch or PPSSPP? (and any other emulators for earlier generations)

Other urls found in this thread:

buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/playstation/vita/
github.com/TheOfficialFloW/Adrenaline
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I had very similar to this one. The real problem with them that emulation drains battery very fast. A hour of play, maximum two.

Shit, is it really that bad?

GPD Win

Don't settle for ARMShit. You're better than that I hope

Just wondering, specially since smartphones may do the trick with a controller adaptor, but still, if emulation really drains battery it would be a real hassle.

The battery is a very big issue. Real consoles use best batteries available, so they usually don't have such issues, but in case of chinese tablets - if it works then fuck the customer.
Batteries in android tablets will never be good, especially in the ones with buttons.

Assuming I don't use a cheap Chinese tablet and procure a controller grip, what would be better? I am not even aiming for a big screen tablet, just something that can play up to PSP resolution maybe.

Controller grips suck, they aren't for extensive gaming. They don't hold phone as good as you want it. And its very shity to constantly having to attach it every time you want to play.

Why not just buy a PSP?

The ones which attach to the sides or the ones that just hold it like nvidia shield?

I have one, some PS1 games can't be played (Valkyrie Profile, the PSP port has some mechanical issues), and GBA emulation while OK has horrible interpolation.

Might as well softmod a vita. Its easy to do nowadays.

That also sounds plausible, what can a Vita do in that case? I guess native PSP and PS1 support mostly, probably not a perfect PS1 machine?

New environment is not bad as long as there is interest in it.
Raspberry is awful because it tries to be PC without support for any of PC programs and around zero people interested in developing for it.
Android on the other hand has quite a nice share of phone market and shit tone of people interested in developing for it. Not to mention larger companies actually pushing the tech forward.

Plus what is more important GPD is expensive. Find some Windows tablet and buy a gamepad for it. This seems to be the best deal you can get.

have two analog nubs

I meant, what can you run in terms of homebrew and games.

I want one of these, but the sheer amount of fucking tweaks you need to make right off to get it at peak performance is crazy. Playing Dark Souls 1 on the train and shit would be pretty comfy though.

Because there's no right analog.

Also OP, why not just use a laptop? Only autists play video games in public.

nintendo still hasn't noticed it's using their d-pad?

If you want to do stuff other than PSP games, then ok, but I'd rather play on the original hardware for just that.
If you want a tablet form factor, it might be worth waiting for homebrew to take off on the Switch. You know that thing is going to be the perfect emulation device within a year.

I'm pretty sure the patents on Nintendo's d-pad expired a long time ago. Muh branding is the only reason you don't see other companies use it more often.

Can I install Linux on that?

Pain in the ass to, but you can.

yes we get it, you made a pocket-sized computer. stop shilling your overpriced piece of garbage. I can build the exact same thing with better specs for less than $50. Even a Pi tablet is a better deal.

just buy a 3ds and hack it. it's so easy to do and you get the bonus of being able to play 3ds games via freeshop

I forget, when did the 3DS get PSP emulation? Last I recalled it could hardly handle SNES emulation

my bad

Can i have link?

You can run android on a raspberry

Bless that man.

So from this thread I'm gathering that these things are shit, including the GPD WIN, and to stick with 3DS + Vita?
I have both of them. It's just shit that the emulation on neither is perfect. There's potential with the vita but nobody is working on it. I see the Win or the arch GPD as an all in one emulation handheld.

Do these things actually work? I don't want to drop $500 on something that could be absolute dogshit.

Is there some later iteration that improves the layout?
I can't imagine the battery life of the hardware in that is any better.

The joke is that since nobody knows how to replace the battery they'll end up paperweights just like the Nintendo Switch in a few years.

Requires 3.60,
RetroArch: buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/playstation/vita/
PSP/PS1: github.com/TheOfficialFloW/Adrenaline

The Shield works pretty great for PSP stuff. I've been able to play Fate/Extra in 1080p with no slowdown while livestreaming the whole shebang on Twitch with it. It's also reasonably cheap at 200 bucks on Amazon, too.

Try running emulators or high spec games on a top of the line Android phone or tablet from Samsung, LG, Motorola. It's the same shit, maybe only a bit better. (3 hours tops on my Samsung Tab Pro which has a massive battery that lasts over 40 days on standby, not even 2 hours on my Galaxy S5).
The problem is not with the devices themselves but with Javadroid, which adds a massive overhead to emulators and games.

I have a one plus 5 which works well enough. The battery is lack luster compared to a real handheld so a power bank is pretty much necessary if you plan on using it for more than 3 hours