Dub vs. undub for games

So are there any cases where dub is actually better?

I cant decide if to play Radiata Stories with nipp dub or english since it seems decent but need advice from you guys.

in videogames, 'no'
in animu , these days it's still a 'no'

golden boy's dub was fucking unbelievable

Musou games.
Some don't like the voices, but let's go through the features of the original nip voicework.
>English Nobunaga is a serious warlord with a determination, calmness and wisdom that always puts him above the rest. Nip Nobunaga is a overplayed buffoon and barely better than Yoshimoto Imagawa because get it fool of owarii lol
And worst of all, the first game to forego the dub was samurai warriors chronicles, a 3DS game which cut as much corners as it could to be portable. Koei found the cutting corners part to be dope as fuck and modeled the series after this title, including canning the voicework, but also making SW4 essentially just a SW Chronicles for PS4.
Anyone defending the absence of dub for current year musous is basically just thanking Koei Tecmo for fucking them in the ass.

Nah, stop being a buttmad dubfag.

People defend Brave Fencer Musashi. Ever since then I can't ever say dubbed is better. Star Fox 64 maybe?

cromartie's dub was also pretty good

There are games like Deadly Premonition, Ace Combat and Dragon's Dogma that are better in English, than in Japanese, but that's my personal opinion.

Ace Combat 4 isn't dubbed actually, the JP version is also using english voices, but I agree the otehr two also work really well with english voices.

You might be right about 4, but 5 does have a dub(haven't checked for 0).
Plus there are plenty of games, that most people on Holla Forums never complained about the English dubbing such as Devil May Cry, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Bayonetta, and maybe even Metal Gear Solid.

Didn't mean to sage.

Most of these didn't have JP voices, at-least at first (Bayo didn't until the WiiU rerelease, RE doesn't until Revelations, DMC didn't until 4 I think, MGS didn't until GZ, SH doesn't at all afaik but I never cared about post team silent games).

Is there any reason do this, I mean aren't all these games made by Japanese developers? Was it too expensive to have a Japanese dub? Did they think that these games wouldn't sell in Japan, but in the West?

Purely an artistic choice, for SH/MGS/RE it's mainly because it was pretty much copied straight from western and american media in particular so making it seem like it was western to begin with made sense (and Kojima is a huge westaboo too), DMC and Bayo might simply be a holdover from that time.

Off yourself.

I see, thank you for the answer.

When it comes to full games, I guess Stella Glow. The dub in this game is really top tier and even females are well done, too bad the game itself is ultimately below mediocre despite it's strong and promising start. Otherwise I can think of particular voices in games that are better dubbed than undubbed, like English Relius Clover in Blazblue is cooler than the Nip, but dubs as a whole rarely are any good, and Blazblue's is ultimately not worth using.

No More Heroes, you numbnuts.

Nioh handles it well. English people speak English, while the nips speak moon.

Original VA or fug yurself

I love when Hanzo speaks English.

Dub fuck listening to some shitty taco language.

yeah right
80% of the dubs sound cheesy as hell… I don't know where they get the voice actors, it's like their voices are wrong somehow

Metal Gear Solid

DMC and Bayo also take a lot from things that aren't Eastern or even Oriental in the first place. The closest you have to that is DMC4 looking kinda JRPGish with characters like Nero and some of the architecture of Fortuna. Deadly Premonition generally works better in English since the entire is set in America, generally featuring American characters, and the game itself is basically the closest you'll get to Twin Peaks the Game.

Basically, the less anime that a game is, the more likely that English voice acting can work for it.

Kingdom hearts. Whether or not you hate it, it being filled with Disney characters means it's shit to listen to in Japanese.

Unless you like Ursula's drag queen voice

Vanquish is also a lot better in English. Surprisingly enough, Nier Automata wasn't that bad in English (although, I haven't heard jap), although, batshit insane 9S voice acting was really off.

I think this is a good rule of thumb. Games like Dark Souls or Dragon Dogma, I prefer playing in English, whereas the Witcher series I played in Polish with English subs. On the other hand, if I were to play a Berserk game or watch an anime based on Berserk, I think I might choose japanese dub, since it is based on a manga.

Still haven't touched Automata but from my experience none of the Drakengard games (except 3, fuck the dub in 3, actually fuck 3 in it's entirety) or the first NieR are totally terrible in english with a few exceptions but it still lacks some things that you mgiht have experienced in the JP dub.

nier automata's english dub is really rough. I think the japanese voice work is actually underrated, 9S' performance is one of the best I've ever heard, period, and it's amazing how the actor perfectly nailed the emotional tone at every point. I kinda cringe when I hear the "pod halt all logical thought and speech!" line in the english intro, but in game during that moment, in Japanese, it's such a swiftly, aggressively stated line, it works superbly. The intro to route c where before the two week time skip has him switching between like 4 or 5 emotional tones at a dime and it works fucking amazingly. If you've beaten the game, just watch and see how good it is.

everyone else is great too, but 9S stands out so well.

Dubs and undubs are both shit to make games more cinematic and accessible. VA was a mistake.

Nier Automata's english dub was really lazy, in my opinion. Hiring a works-for-free Newgrounds-nobody like Runkachunk for 2B was, from the moment I first heard about it, a major warning sign to me that the dub would be a mediocre, phoned-in "anime voice" affair (and it turns out I wasn't wrong in the slightest).

not rought but shit. 2B sounds like 40y old prostitu which smokes 5 packs a day

I mean, I really enjoyed happy-go-lucky 9S in English, but he really falls apart in the batshit crazy segments, but angry jap 9S sounds so good.

The one thing I recall being bad was Lady Manah.
PROTECT LADY MANAR
LADY MANAR, STAND BEHIND US

As long as the dub isn't so shit it makes me want to tear my ears off which unfortunately describes most dubs actually it doesn't really matter either way. 90% of video game stories don't even matter in the first place.

Truth

No.

I don't mind Nier Gestalt in English too much. Weiss and Papa Nier both sound pretty good, but I can't really compare to the Jap version so I don't know.

As for better, maybe MGS1-3. Sufficiently hammy, but it works because of the characters and the setting. By PW, Hayter was getting pretty bad and his voice was fucked, but Robin Atkin Downs saves that dub for me. By MGSV, the Jap VA is better purely because Queefer fucks the dub so badly.

Wrong. Akio Otsuka has been the voice for Snake since MGS1.

I stand corrected.

Dragon Quest 8 (3DS version since JP PS2 didn't have nip VA)
Xenoblade Chronicles
Kid Icarus Uprising

the entire nipponese language is cheesy and they intentionally ham it up too. it can be harder to tell when its in an alien language though.

A dub is good when the people who are dubbing care about the source material, see goldenboy and Chromartie. A dub is bad when the dubbers only give a shit about shekels or want to push a narrative. See modern funamation and the censored Angel Cop. Subs are always good if IF *IF* they sub it as close to the actual version as they can. See NihonTV's GCCX sub vs SA's GCCX sub.

Persona 1 PSP by virtue of existing.

There's actually a few western games that have been dubbed in Nipponese and have better voice acting (Skyrim is the obvious one here).

Bioshit and Memelands 2 although it turns the game into uncomfortable boner simulator if you choose to play as Gaige / Maya

Haven't heard much of the OG dub, but the English dub is pretty outstanding. The fight between Kun Lan and Harmon Smith, in particular, is great.

Also Koudelka's dub is genuinely really fucking good voice acting, not even "as a dub," I'm talking it's just legit really good.

Considering the japanese haven't put out a single good piece of acting work since the 60's dubs are always superior. However, because most video games aren't played seriously at all or are outright anime games which lend to modern japanese 'acting' methods, that japanese seiyuu have the ability to actually interact directly with the game's director (or at least through a close proxy) and then the fact that most english dubs were done by fucking bums off the street or the (((localization))) company's manager's sister's retarded hipster son and you have the sole environment where modern japanese acting would ever look superior to that of a western country.

Ah, wait, forgot that embedding removed the boxart, the first sentence there was about Killer7.

gaia has nice boobs

She was actually the first cartoon that made me feel funny in the pants. late 80s early 90s western girls were real qts.

thats kind of adorable im sure shed be tickled to hear that

By MGS3 the dub was fucking shit and you know it. The script especially is badly adapted for English with many lines sounding mangled. The opening text before the game starts (AFTER THE END OF WORLD WAR TWO THE WORLD WAS SPLIT INTO TWO) is a good example of how the script needed another English draft. I also hated how the Russian guards spoke with neutral American accents when before in MGS2 they had appropriate Russian ones. Then there's Sokolov who's accent sounds like he's going from a shitty Russian accent to almost British throughout the game.