PSX Thread

I just chipped a PSX with MM3. Give me the absolute best games to play in it.

Also: PSX General.

Other urls found in this thread:

ps-io.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=rNNjBK1gazg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Poke around old demo cds for the total 90s experience.

What's an MM3

It's a modchip for the PSX.

what it do?

I have a question regarding older systems. If I were a buyfag, what's stopping me from just emulating the games instead of buying the console and dealing with scalpers?

Where do I start? The PS1 probably has one of the best, most well-rounded game libraries of any system.

Dino Crisis 1 and 2
Resident Evil trilogy
A million Mega Man games
Vagrant Story
Parasite Eve 1 and 2
Frogger
Ace Combat
Omega Boost
Einhander
Rayforce
Thunder Force
Spyro trilogy
Crash Trilogy
Strider 2
Devil Dice
Alien 3
Doom
Tiny Tank
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Gran Autismo 1 and 2
The Test Drive games
Armored Core
Front Mission games
Silent Hill

less than ideal emulation circumstances?

Lets you load burned games and imports.

Nothing.

I'm playing through MGS using burnt discs and swap trick (unmodded console) and I'm stuck not being able to swap discs. Is there anything I can do?

Some games or systems are stupidly hard to emulate, even games as old as SNES what with the chip fuckery they do with some of the carts. And with physical games you have the ability to play as you would have when it first came out. As to your question what's stopping you? Nothing. If that's your prerogative you do you. Personally I would emulate Sega systems and PS1, and play "backups" of pretty much all of the rest on whatever system they're on.

Transfer save to PSP/emulator, advance past disc change, save, transfer save back to memory card.

Final Fantasy 7

You do realize that in opening the thread with "PSX" as the chosen abbreviation, you are likely to prompt people to open it simply to debate the acronym rather than discuss actual system/library, right? I'm just saying.

Also, if you're only wanting the "best of the best" or whatever, then you'll be missing out on plenty of other worthwhile games. The PS1's similar to the PS2, in that it saw plenty of games on the whole, with a lot of lesser known but still enjoyable stuff buried in there.

Various games being finicky to get working with emulators? I don't want to make this into an "actual hardware vs emulation" debate, but not every game immediately works as well as it would on the actual system it was meant for, without some amount of messing with settings parameters. Both have their own perks and downsides on the whole though.

Don't forget King's Field I, II, and III

Is there a way to make it read it files out of a hard drive / usb stick instead of making the physical disc?

How can I transfer saves from a memory card to an emulator?

マリア 君たちが生まれた理由
夕闇通り
街〜運命の交差点〜

What model?

ps-io.com/

I used a softmodded PS2 to run ulaunchelf. From ulaunchelf you can copy the save to a USB device. There's some windows software to edit virtual memory cards that a PSP and some emulators use (I have only used a PSP, though).

IIRC some companies made devices to copy memory card saves to PC but I haven't used those.

But I think it's easier to get a $2 modchip and avoid the hassle.

scph-5501

if that one has an IO port then you can use PS-IO if you feel inclined to it I think.

I'm pretty sure there was a USB one for the old model PS3s, in order to transfer PS2 (and maybe PS1 as well? Not sure) save data to internal virtual memory cards, allowing players to retain save progress despite no longer using physical memory cards.

I have several models with IO port and I'd like to get a ps-io in the future but right now the compatibility seems to be not that great.

NEED FOR SPEED III MOTHERFUCKER

Carnage Heart
Jackie Chan Stunt Master
Psychic Force this is still the best DBZ game and it isn't even DBZ
Raiden Project
Twisted Metal 2
Rogue Trip
Vigilante 8 series
Critical Depth
Jet Moto series
Treasures of the Deep
R-Type Delta
Tenchu
Tony Hawk
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter EX1 and EX2
Silent Bomber
Nectaris
Threads of Fate
King's Field series
Shadow Tower this and King's Field are acquired tastes as fuck
Valkyrie Profile
Brave Fencer Musashi
Colin McRae
Jarrett & Labonte Stock Car Racing it's actually a rebranding of TOCA World Touring Cars and it's fucking incredible
Rival Schools
Alien Resurrection There is no Alien 3 for the PSX, a7eb08 is a faggot
Quake 2
Ape Escape
Echo Night
Nanotek Warrior
Tempest X3
Klonoa
Spec Ops series isn't bad if you're into war fightan
Tomb Raider series
Star Ocean 2
Legend of Mana
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Phantasia fan translation
Persona 2 fan translation
Suikoden series
The Bombing Islands
Lemmings & Oh No! More Lemmings It's a port obviously but fuck you it's a great port of two great games
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions
MDK
G-Darius
Tomba! series
Mech Warrior 2 isn't bad tbh
Colony Wars series
Kula World
Mass Destruction
MediEvil series
Blam! Machine Head
Shadow Master
Destrega
Deception series
Rayman series
Pacman World is okay
Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness is also okay
Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits is excellent if you're into the games contained therein
Ridge Racer Type 4
Contra series not bad per se just a large departure from 2D contra
Time Crisis if you have a CRT television
Vandal Hearts series
Xevious 3D/G+
Xenogears

And probably a lot of shit I'm forgetting or don't know of. The amazing thing about the PSX's library is the sheer fucking peerless variety.

Parodius series
Gradius Deluxe pack
Salamander Deluxe Pack
Gradius Gaiden
R-Types
Image Fight & X-Multiply
Parappa the Rapper
Umjammer Lammy
Alundra
Jumping Flash is odd but okay

Several I forgot and just remembered because I'm retarded

You are asking to get your thread shitposted, next time try to ask in a less subjective way.

Here's 8ch Holla Forums PS1 recommendation chart, try something from there.

the adventures of little ralph and rakugaki showtime

That list is fairly gay. But it did remind me I forgot to list Driver and Driver 2.

8ch Holla Forums lists used to get updated with new entries but i haven't seen the creators around for a very long time, they probably left after getting their threads constantly disrupted by unwarranted shitposting.

This was meant for

Come.

Come closer.

Nintendo games and consoles are the only retro vidya that gets scalped, at least in my area. The hipster scum that took over this hobby either weren't alive or know nothing about video games prior to the seventh generation. This lack of basic knowledge is great for resellers, who can get away with dramatically over inflating their prices on games that these faggots want.

Jokes on them. All the vintage stuff will start dying soon unless it's kept in hermetically sealed archive conditions.

Are PS1 dev kits still around?

/ogc/ list incoming

Circuit Breakers
Colin McRae Rally
Colin McRae Rally 2.0
Crash Team Racing
Destruction Derby
Destruction Derby 2
Destruction Derby Raw
Driver
Firebugs
Gran Turismo 2
Micro Machines V3
Need For Speed High Stakes
R4 Ridge Racer Type 4
Rollcage
Rollcage 2
Test Drive Le Mans
The Italian Job
Toca World Touring Car Champinship
V-Rally 2
Wipeout 3 Special Edition (no special edition if you can't handle 50 FPS)

These look good but I haven't played them:
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Micro Maniacs
Disney World Quest Magical Racing Tour
Barbie: Race and Ride

I'm still here, just busy with real life. 8ch is getting slower these days and its disappointing.

Or are you the guy that did the original Xbox one?

Got to agree with that somewhat. Certainly a difference in both quality and content since when I first moved over to here. The difference a few years, MSM increasing a site's exposure, and crossposters can have (and not a positive one either).

Use a Dex Drive.

Aren't cheapskate board manufacturers not installing those anymore?

I don't even know what to make of this shitpost.

Nice to hear that you are still around user.

It's actually the contrary, hotpockets have been barely banning/deleting shitposting threads so it's not strange that anons lost the will to make new threads.

"Summer" is just a excuse for most anons to behave like niggers during this season, let's hope shit gets back on track when it's over.

No Hot Wheels Turbo Racing? Or does that count more as mixed-stunts than straight up racing (or am I somehow misunderstanding what "/ogc/" is supposed to mean)? Just saying since I remember having a lot of fun with that on my Playstation back in the day. Never did play CTR back then though, and by the time I got a copy myself, no one's been left around here that would have been interested in playing it (I know it's got a good single player mode, but still).

Nice to see some of the people I've posted with before still around from time to time. Pretty sure I gave you layout advice back when you were initially starting that one up. That would have been what, a year, maybe two back by now?

Yeah, I mainly spend my days (and nights) lurking most of the time myself, just waiting for the slight chance a thread of interest will show up. Granted, there's certainly games I'm always up for talking about and you might think making threads for them would be the answer, but at this point in time I doubt they'd do much more than rot in the catalog with a dozen or so posts if they're lucky (I can understand the justified bitching about the industry staying close to the front page as long as it's of interest, but it seems all too often shitposting and bait threads get a lot of attention). So I tend to feel like I should just wait for someone else to make a thread that what I'd like to discuss fits into instead, as at least then there's someone other than me that feels like discussing it (and I think with a posterbase the size we have, more broad topics, especially in terms of older games work better than specific ones; system/genre threads like this, etc). Unfortunately, these days threads for older systems seem to be getting less frequent in general as well (and it doesn't help either when occasionally the same OP makes them in a fashion to sow inflammatory bait to bump the the post count with anons arguing with him instead of actually discussing the system/library; that guy that usually makes PS2 threads, for example).

But I think it's more of a cyclical lack of quality (quality posters leave because quality has dropped, prompting quality to further lower and the cycle to repeat with posters than had somewhat higher thresholds for reduce quality) and influx of crossposters further driving the board quality down, sometimes without any desire to blend in, or thinking having been here half a year means they know enough about the site and community to be accepted (see that "shipping" thread, if it's still up). If there have been quality anons leaving, I wonder where they've been going to, and if they've truly found greener pastures (though I doubt they'd want such places to be made more aware). Just my own thoughts on the matter though. A friend of mine keep trying to encourage me to go back to halfchan, with claims that the quality here is roughly the same as halfchan is now. I'm not biting that lure, even if it's true.

Again, I think one of the bigger issues is increasing exposure of the site via MSM kvetching bringing trash here over the last few years. Sure, it's funny to see 8ch get publicly called a white supremacist group, or halfchan a decade back getting labeled "hackers on steroids", but in time it harms the sites. Imageboards do best somewhere in the middleground between having a solid size of posterbase, but enough obscurity and/or "bad" reputation to keep the squeamish from delving into them (IE: newfag influx has to be kept manageable).

I made that list from what I remember, there are more racing games that I'm sure that deserve mentioning, I also forgot to add GTA 2 there.

Apocalypse is really fun 3rd person shooter. I really like how it handles and honestly I wish games like Gears of War and other console shooters handled more like this game. It basically plays like those top-down shooters, however the camera perspective is more like in Crash Bandicoot. You know how in some levels the camera just follows bandicoot in a linear path, but sometimes it changes to a side-scroller perspective and then there's even those Indiana Jones boulder levels. It's basically the same in this game and I really love it how the gameplay can vary so much within the same level.

youtube.com/watch?v=rNNjBK1gazg

Other than that, there's some nice 2D platformers like Abe's Oddysee and Rayman that are brilliant even today, and if you're looking for some co-op game try Future Cop.

Up to PSX is generally playable with only a few games having sound or graphical issues. N64 is an absolute nightmare to emulate, and at this rate, I doubt they'll ever get that shit working properly. Other than that, even with a toaster, you can do the first few gens of emulation with very few hangups.

Hot Wheels Turbo Racing was an odd sort of a racer in that while there were powerups and speedboost ramps, you could also gain your own boosts ("Turbo") that you could choose when to use by performing tricks, and the more dangerous stunts awarded a higher turbo count at risk of more easily wiping out/exploding if you botched the landing. While the emphasis was certainly still on coming in first, taking the time to do neat shit coming down from jumps also had a big effect on race progress. Though, if you're someone from the ogc threads or whatever, I'm sure the game's been brought up before in detail.

I can only guess how many of those unlockable cars and tracks would be paid DLC these days, especially if it still retained EA as publisher.

I remember trying to emulate Banjo on an N64 emulator on my Wii and the textures bugging out, leaving banjo with no pupils, bleached white pants, and that mole guy living in a big mound of salt. Strikes me as a shame Rare's non-Donkey Kong games, like Banjo and Conker, never saw VC versions, or I could just as readily dump wads of them on there and play them without having to mess with a finicky general emulator.

Vib-Ribbon

Azure Dreams
Racing Lagoon
G-Police
Bloody Roar series
Rage Racer

Also this, you can probably use PowerISO or some other tool to burn CDs with your music.
Vibri is waifugood

Ew

Good taste user.

As long as it's a regular "Audio Disc" it will work just fine, Nero has an "Audio Disc" preset i think.

Well from the top of my head:

Yay, faggotfox crashed and ate my post.

Anywho, for copying saves to a computer, the PS3 memory card reader works fine, if you have a PS3 to use it with.

Medievil you faggot

I'll never understand why autists insist it is called that. It says "PlayStation" on the console. No mention of "PSX" anywhere.

The PSX is a PS2 with DVR capabilities.

Are there any games that have serious enough problems on emulation to bother with chipping a PS1 anymore?

Also optic drive SD card slot replacement when?

It's in the fucking BIOS for the system, newfag.

It was widely marketed as just "PlayStation", autist.

And in pre-reveal leaks on the net it was referred to as the PS-X because that was Sony's internal name for it, just like Nintendo's Revolution, Dolphin, etc, remnants of those are found in hardware model numbers.

"PSX" was the code-name for the console and it was the official name for a long time.

No but Mednafen scaling doesn't work that well on CRT TV's and some PC CRT's.
If you care about using a CRT to play then it's better to get the original hardware but if you are just going to play on modern TV's emulation will do.

Sony never accepted that as the official name, everyone else used it though, mostly when written never really heard anyone say anything else than PlayStation.

so basically just shit retarded journos would say. any way im gonna go boot up my nintendo revolution and emulate some snes games on my nintendo revolution through snes9x gx for the nintendo revolution

"PSX" was the code-name for the console and it was the official name for a long time.

I have no idea why the click quote keeps fucking up but i blame the jews

That's like calling yourself a car guy and not knowing what a FD3S is

Tekken 3
Soul Edge
Vagrant Story
Xenogear
All the Tomb Raider games
Soul Reaver (absolute favorite of mine)
Silent Hill
Spyro
Crash
Castlevania Symphoy of the Night

Or what an NA, AP1 or F20C are.

USB adapters are dirt cheap

Come to think of it, I can't even remember the last time I made a thread.

I keep hearing about dead carts, but i've yet to see it. Ive got some old CDs with pinholes though

Add Nascar Rumble to the list. Funnily enough, there's nothing that resembles a Nascar track (except for the small circular bonus track). It's basically stock car racing + powerups with a sweet ass soundtrack.

Also has a spiritual sequel without the Nascar license on PS2: Rumble Racing.

Wouldn't it make more sense to play the psx games on a ps2 with freemcboot? Couldn't you even just load the ps1 isos on a USB drive since the ports on the ps2 are equal to or greater than cd read write speeds

No you can't actually use USB/HDD/SMB to load PS1 games, not without going through the PS2 version of POPS which sucks major ducks.

As far as I've heard, while there's loaders to natively run PS2 games on a PS2, you're stuck with emulation for PS1, which is a bit odd since the system itself had the PS1's CPU in it which I'd take to allow for hardware based backwards compatibility (as opposed to software emulation). Though, I think I've seen it said before that it has to do with the way the PS2 accesses "PS1 mode" or something that has prevented a native PS1 loader being developed for it, or something like that.

At this point I don't think I could ever go from an anonymous discussion site to one with usernames associated with it. And given the reputation of Patreon amongst anons, I'd be wondering if those artists you mentioned were even formerly halfchan anons, or just reddit exiles that came here for whatever reason.

While I've enjoyed my time here myself (more-so in prior years), I'm still here because at this point there's not that many options for English imageboards left, both in terms of volume (if you'd ever used Overchan in the past, you could see firsthand how many dead imageboards there have been, even years back) as well as decent quality posterbase and moderation. Lack of better options, as well as not having an event to push a community elsewhere, tends to lead to staying put. I think a fair amount of us are all still waiting for the "Promised Chan", so to speak.

And you're certainly correct about OC threads/projects just getting shitposted. While there's a certain amount of shitposting that can be considered within acceptable range (or being caused by pure coincidence; like that Fuckup Fantasy thread last week or so), when it reaches the point that a board's culture/topic feels more like shitposting than actual discussion, that's how it achieves a label of "Holla Forums with an [X] bent" to it.

bump

I remember my friend got a chip in the early 00s and it played overseas games in black and white which was strange.

He had a TV with bad support for the international standards, seems frequent in the US, not so much in the EU where pretty much every TV had perfect NTSC support by 2000

I had that too. You could fix the colors by buying a new SCART cable from the store instead of using the one that came with the console. At least in Europe.

Megaman Legends 2

Anyone has experience with using unirom with on of those gameshark-like devices?

Reminder that N64 had better 3D games and Saturn had better 2D games from that gen and that the Playstation X was for casual poorfags.

Here's your reply bro

i mean sure it has all the makes&shakes that one would find in an RPG and sure every other list , video ,site and any random underb& dumbass that has never even played any game in the series and would for the first time would recognise it as such based on those makes&shakes and not to mention that even FromSoftware (the developer) acknowledges the series as such
, but i'm sure your opinion has far more credence somehow than any of that and is definitely more worthy of listening to

I'm a yurofag
I've never seen anything related to turnleft until recent years, I knew about it becausee of crash videos on youtube

I have a question. Is there still an active PSX Emulation community? Would love to get back into that.

WWF: Smackdown
Megaman X4
Vigilante 8
Hot Wheels Turbo Racing
I could add Gauntlet Legends but the Dreamcast version is the better one

That is some good taste. Too bad about Vigilante 8: Second Offense being a buggy mess.

Nice autism bro

Never played the ps1 version, I went with the Dreamcast version so I can't really make an argument there
I could also argue that OP could go for the JP version of Megaman X4 to avoid the horrid dub