Yet Another WoW Private Server

THIS TIME WITH GIMMICKS

There's this World of Warcraft server going by the name "Project Ascension" that's apparently a vanilla realm running on a Wrath client with the big kicker being able to pick any talent and spell you want as well as optional free-for-all PVP. You can read more here if you want project-ascension.com/landing/. I'm not here to shill this though, I just want to ask questions regarding it because fuck reddit and fuck "official" forums.

How populated is it? What's faction balance like? Is the scripting worth a shit? How far are they in progression? Anyone here play it? Just general discusion regarding it and other servers if you'd like to ask I guess.

Only video I can find that isn't some annoying LW e-celeb, so bear with me.

Why do all these cucks surrender instantly but Elysium hasn't?

Because they aren't paying the Chink mafia their protection money.

Population is low but growing around 500-600 peak NA times. Scripting is decent considering all the custom scripts for skills/talents and faction balance is 60/40 Alliance to horde.

Been playing since beta, it has improved quite a bit, especially in regards to balance.

Just how many shit servers do you fags plan on pulling out of your ass on a bi-weekly basis?

It's fun, but only if you actually have friends to play with. Trying to solo in a FFA PVP world is the definition of misery, I've been ganked at least once per level (and that's with 3x experience) and I always seem to lose my weapons from bad RNG. If anyone wants to party, my name is Lashaniqua (black female human) on alliance side.

The classless thing is pretty neat. There are certainly "meta" specs and also some builds are entirely useless, but there's also plenty of room to be a special snowflake.

The population is low. Most people went to the PvE server, because that was released 2 weeks before the PvP server. Nobody ever seems to learn the harsh lesson that releasing 2 servers causes them both to die.

There was a fun bug on the second day: FFA PVP was enabled in all zones and wasn't level restricted. All the starting zones were warzones, with the naked corpses of newbies everywhere. That probably didn't help the population very much.

Reminds me of the good old days when Tarren Mill was constantly under attack.

Wow, it's not dead.

By PVE do you mean the normal PVP server or is the realm list fucked up? It says it's PVP for me.

Anyone know how I can get a bot running on this? I tried using a 3.3.5a version of lazybot but it doesn't attack the enemies it targets, just kinda spins around them in circles.

I wish it is based in the US, because what happened to Felmyst was hilarious.

BUT HE HAS A PLAN user! GUMMY KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING!

It's going to happen again with Northcraft, which is based in France, where Blizzard's european headquarters is.

That's pretty fucking cool. They should release the source code before they're required to shut down the servers. They way they won't get in legal trouble for distributing the code, and their hard work wouldn't be for anything.

What would be nice is a PVP semi Perma death server like runescape where you drop items when you die.

Or a Perma death server like Diablo.

One of the criticized things about WOW is that you're not punished for dying/not being careful

I'm hoping Tichondrius has that. So far only hunger and thirst mechanics have been announce, but they are considering an overhaul to mining nodes to make them finite, plentiful, and dangerous to mine.

*announced

They REALLY need to release their source code with how many servers have been shut down.

Private servers need to implement distributed server hosting to decentralize everything. Something like Freenet or IPFS.

Tracker websites such as Piratebay are fucking stupid for not utilizing such technology.

I assume that Ascension is just outside of Blizzard's reach, much like Elysium. Mostly because it takes someone with smarts to make custom stuff like they're doing. They're even making a system for players to make their own dungeons.

I hit 60 on the non-FFA PvP server, so I feel qualified to say a few things about it.
Pros:
-You can do anything™: The ability to take skills and talents from every class is pretty interesting.
-It just works™: Surprisingly few bugs for a server with custom code. I only had a couple quests that were uncompleteable, and the worst bug I saw other than that was one that also existed in retail.
Pros/Cons:
-Population: Fairly low. Outside of certain zones like STV, you're unlikely to see more than a couple other people in each zone you level through, if that.
Cons:
-You can't do anything: The devs constantly nerf things for being 'too good', even though that would seem to be the point of the server. Combined with the prohibitive respec cost (200g and increases without a cap), testing new builds feels like an exercise in futility.
-Item store: In addition to cosmetic shit and leveling/convenience items, they sell a few things which are economy-breaking to a certain degree, like talent resets and riding skill.

Overall, I think it's alright but it could be better. If they get to the point where they aren't changing things every day or made it easier to test things out I'd be a lot more interested.

Sounds like they need a test server for players to test full builds for fun. Once you have something you like, plot a plan for how to get those stats 1-60.

There is a talent calculator, but it's a bit rusty. Needs to be a spell, stat allocation and talent calculator.

That's fucking stupid.