Been a while since there's been a CRT thread. What favorite console do you play on your tube...

Been a while since there's been a CRT thread. What favorite console do you play on your tube, what what make-'n-model do you got? I got my old LXI from when I was a 2-year-old hooked up to my firm-modded PS2 with FreeMcBoot.

CRTs are a PC thing. Consoles have always used LCDs.

I like the design of it, looks like a Euro brand though? Not familiar with it.

I've been meaning to fix up my two Ikegami HTM-1700's. It's based off a JVC DT-V pro monitor, but has that Ikegami prestige behind it.

Is there a CRT that doesn't have exact cathode tube unit sticking far out the back of it? Like in most models? I'm not asking for a flat screen, but it'd be nice to have something not take up as much space on a table.

user with a high-end Ikegami replied to a question of mine about them, some threads ago. Spoke like they're a dime a dozen, but for the life of me can't find any non-sec monitor models.

If you find a source of cheap ones, feel free to share. Been looking for one for ages.

Clean up your desk first.

Looking at thost tv's, doesn't bring back happy memory's it brings me back to when I shit head, all I want to do slam myself against the hoping I hit my past self somehow.

Well user I hope one day medicine advances enough to fix your brain damage.

Holla Forums is dead, and so is /g/. The faggots on halfchan don't realize that it's already too late for them. Just look at Github.

Sony PVMs are impossible to find unless you live in a liberal shithole where valuable items are junked constantly, but they are hands down the best CRT for video games.
I just have a basic component-capable CRT that I keep under my desk in case I want to do something with it. I don't watch (((television))), so I don't have an HDTV or more CRT sets than that one. Goodwill stores have been chucking out Sony WEGA sets for under $10 as of late. Get to looking for them, if you're interested.

Rocking my old Sony Trinitron. It's an early nineties model so the quality is shabby compared to later 2004~ish models but it feels fucking great to play Nocturne with no delay between the audio and visuals again.

Not many CRTs out in the wild in my country, but I have a friend who has a top notch component compatible set which I'm looking to pick up off him. Hopefully I can play PS2, Xbox and Wii games at a crisp resolution soon.

Xbox can output 720p, user…

pc peripheral threads also need to go on Holla Forums then, just to appease this turbo autist

I think samsung had an HDTV line called truflat, They were maybe one foot deep or so and 27" wide in some models. Problem is they had digital scaling, so no light guns, bad for rhythm games, and 240p looks awful.

I think certain pro monitors are decently optimized for space, plus more cubed off in shape essentially giving you a flat surface.

Yes, in fact, that's true.

I have a Trinitron but 3 years ago it simply stopped working one day and i haven't been able to find someone to fix it.

Currently all i have is a Samsung CRT like the one in the pic, hopefully i will find someone to fix my Trinitron someday or find someone to sell me a new one.

Never, stop replying to shitposters and stay on topic.

these threads are a legitimate case for when mods should step in and start banning people for attempting to derail. These threads get shitposted very hard.

probably just blown caps or fuses in need of replacement, does it like power on with the LED light going on and then just shut down?

I've got my third htm-1700 coming in soon. All pro monitors kinda pop in and out in waves, but if I can score one for $80, you can definitely keep an eye out and score a few.

I'm planning on teaching myself repairs, have already successfully discharged a recently active tube (24 hour period) and I'm feeling very confident on maintaining these things. I don't need all the CRTs I have and do actually plan on returning working ones to the public at a reasonable price. I don't mind taking a bit of a loss on these.

Anything /vr/ related gets heavily shitposted.

Sometimes it doesn't power up at all and sometimes it turns on, shows a very bright and blurry image and goes off again.

I went to different repair shops a couple of times but the technicians there simply didn't know how to fix old TV's at all.

take the chassis off and inspect the fuse, inspect capacitors. worst case scenario its a shot flyback and you'll have to either replace it (which could be hard to find) or just replace the TV.

wat?

I have an Emerson 20" that my mom got me years ago. It's got my Wii, Xbox, and PS2 hooked up to it. I just emulate games older than that.

Is she supposed to look like Crying Brian?

He got the TV when he was 2. His PS2 is now connected to it.

I can't afford to get a PVM in my country because these jews want to sell them as overpriced medical equipment, but i got a PC CRT with an superbrightness function and does look decent with some shaders

are old console buyfags the new mustard race?

they always have been

Left would be 100% better if not for the fat face.

Got a PVM20M2MDU/Olympus OEV203 hooked up to my SNES/Wii/GCN/PS2. Shit is beautiful.

?
?
!?
!!

FUCK.

I own 5, but my favorites are the 20M2MDU & the BVM-D24E1WU. I wish I had gotten into RGB 10 years ago when prices were better. I've seen mexicans buying up CRTs at the local swap meets & when I asked what they were for they said "we use them fighting games". I hope they meant King of fighters & not melee.

Anywho, my BVM is my favorite. Makes Neo Geo games really easy to play since it's 16:9. Here's a picture of it in RGB.

nu/v/ is cuckchan tier now. sad times

I hear you can still buy brand new Ikegami's fairly cheap. Any truth to that?

2/5 of my CRTs are old sony Trinitrons. I just can't part with them since I've had them for so long. Being able to plug in a pair of headphones into the front still blows my mind. Fuck getting behind those things as a kid though. I bent so many of those coax/rf cables back in the day, & they always tore up my fingers.

Rhythm & music too. Basically any non casual genres. I dare you to try Gitaroo man on PS2 in master's mode on anything but a CRT. It's fucking impossible as is.

Why? I thought we left all the kids behind when we left halfchan. Isn't the posterbase here older?

cheaper than they were when they debuted. Depending on the model, you're looking at putting down 4000-8000 dollars.

it's mostly PC gamers who seem to be very insecure about these things for some reason. I think they got memed on hard.

try running it in [email protected]/* */ retroarch has an option for this too.

If you haven't played Quake/doom/counterstrike etc on a CRT then you're not a PC gamer. That or I'm just getting old.

I don't disagree tbh

Those scanlines look sexy as fuck.

It's probably for a custom MAME arcade, those things are pretty popular among FGC.

Because mods don't nuke their asses that's why, i used to make /vr/ threads around here but i got tired of "CRT vs LCD" and "Emulation vs Original Hardware" shitposting every single thread.

I wish I could get CRT set ups like you see some people with. My CRTs are mid range to poor.

Me too but quality CRT's are pretty rare and expensive where i live and buying from internet is just impossible due shipping weight limits.

If I gave you an Email addy, would you be willing to set up something when you're ready to part with one?

then get components/a kit and build your own.

Are you in the US? The main factor is shipping but i could probably get you a cute 14" one.

You are correct (it can go up to 1080i even), and for those games I would ideally connect to a plasma. However, resolution support on the original Xbox varies game to game. Only significant first party titles will have 720 support, and not even that's guaranteed.

Though tbh if an upscaler was affordable I wouldn't have a problem switching, even though I love the comfy CRT aesthetic.

You have two options - either you repair it yourself or take it to an old TV repairman.
You need knowledge of electronics. There still do exist people who have the knowledge to repair CRTs, it's up to you to make the initiative to find one. Though honestly, replacing the unit may be better in the long run.

That is fiiiine. Congrats on getting a PVM.

alright now you're just a hoarder. credits for metal slug 4, that game is underrated.

That setup might look cool but is impractical as the CRT sets will fuck each other with their magnetic fields.

That's the thrill of the hunt my friend. They're sparse as hell in my country, shipping never an option. I had to drive 45 minutes each way to get my current set. This is a niche subset of a niche subset of a hobby - you've gotta commit. Get online, keep your ear to the ground, be patient, take your chance when you see it, and don't get jewed.

fuck, I meant LCD. whatever

Yes, I am in the US.

Depends on what user is doing with them, I won't fault a man for having spares. I currently have three CRTs I use for various applications (Though none are PVMs, or RGB capable, sadly)

Drop a burner and I'll email you. I'll send you pictures of the monitor in question

I know next to nothing about the technical aspects of all this so this question might be dumb. I do all my gaming on PC these days, but I still like to play games from my childhood like Streets of Rage. The problem is, I can definitely tell there is some form of lag compared to when I played it on a CRT. Will on old CRT monitor help in this regard?

Slightly. PC gaming will always have more lag than old consoles do, and even at its most minimal you're gonna be hitting a 16-32ms wall due to overhead of various factors. This is hard to notice but it is there.

An old crt is a good way to shave off a few miliseconds, maybe up to 12 or so, but there are a lot of things you have to do in order to get the absolute minimum of 16 ms, and a display that can render a new signal pulse in 4 microseconds is a good way to eliminate any extra perceptible lag an lcd would add on to everything.

You just need a video card with analog out. You can even get nice, real scanlines if you do [email protected]/* */

[email protected]/* */

sent :^)

I got an old Apple Studio Display CRT, and you are right.
When I booted up Quake, shit was dark when it needed to be dark, and bright when it needed to be bright. It was pretty.
Wish I could change its settings from windows though… it has this USB connection where you could change settings on a mac pre OS X, tried several leads on da innernets, but nothing worked. I'm looking for cheap OS9 computers so I can calibrate it

Bump. Anybody got some spreadsheets?

Commodore 1702, not as fancy as a PVM, but it's a great s-video monitor.
Probably the genesis (with a s-video mod) or snes, they both look great

It's a 1000 line BVM, so I shouldn't even use it for 2D games since the scanlines are so thick. Absolutely perfect for 480p & 720p games though. PS2 games look perfect on it.

So I'm looking for a CRT monitor that is atleast 1080p/60Hz and preferably has BNC inputs. I Intend to use this as my PC monitor so I don't want something under 20 inches.
All "HD" CRTs I can find up are only 1080i.
What specific models should I look for(aside from the FW900)?

Most mid 00's CRT monitors did 1600x1200, with 1800x1440 as an extended mode. Also, a monitor having BNC connectors does not mean it supports RGBs. Most PC monitors with BNCs use RGBHV which is just VGA with better shielded lines.

most posts I make will be from different IDs. Seems like your email may have expired?

Fuckit, fine. I'll use something a little less flaky, little more semi-permanent.
remove spaces pun ish ed crt an on AT g ma il

I want to get C1702 one day when I find it cheap. I have some other Commodore monochrome monitor and a color TV with s-video

But it's too big for me.

Where do you guys even find old consoles for the CRTs?

This has to be bait.

I work at a classic game shop

Loading stuff from tape on Commodore 64

Go to the gym you fat nigger.

any good 120 hz CRTs?

CRTs don't generally go that high in resolutions above 640x480, though you'll find LCDs can't do 120hz for real either.

Now THIS is Flame Bait.

I play on a WEGA Trinitron KV32-FS100, it's heavy as shit but the picture is nice.

Most recently I played Deadly Premonition on it, and it's both surprising and not surprising that a game designed originally for PS2 and released very early in PS3 lifespan seems like a good fit for a 4:3 CRT running at 480i.

buying 30 inch sony xbr tv from the 90s tomorrow to replace my 80s kv2080r.
noice bc i get to have s video and a curved screen that works with lightguns

I really want one of those huge late 90s rear projection crts. you get a flat screen and some of them work with lightguns. also genesis games dont look like shit despite the screen size.

plasma is better, darker blacks and better response time/processing.

Flat screens work fine with light guns. Youtubers fed you a shitty meme because they don't know a digital screen from an analog one.

Curved usually just means better geometry as they age. I personally like curved displays more, they tend to provide a natural point of focus and treat pixels more organically rather than reproduce them more sharply.

behold, CRT can finally be retired!
Well, if you have 60,000 to spend. There's also Sony's latest Trimaster BVMX300/2 which can natively process interlaced video - just if you want the color reproduction go for the Dolby.

Why? Those look horrible & they burn in images very easily.

Not to mention a viewing angle that even TN LCDs laugh at, and phosphors burn out fast as fuck because of the way projection screens work by making as bright of a picture as possible and reflecting it onto the screen. Fuck no. They're trash, and even old NES Manuals warned against their use.

Ebin

Craigslist holds many wonders. I got a Viewsonic P810 about a year ago for free.

pawnshops

I'm a retard and know nothing about this stuff, so i'm going to ask here:
I'm using my ps2 with a lcd and a component cable. Would i get a better picture if i used a scart cable? i thought there was no difference between using direct scart or composite with scart adapter.

the ps2 has a better quality rgb signal than its y/pb/pr signal. it's primarily a 480i system so lcd's butcher that for the most part. The difference in a proper ypbpr conversion from rgb would be very minimal.

I'm a massive fag and do not want an old crt because it takes up too much space and it looks ugly.
Anyone got a "Xrgb-mini" or a "open source scan converter"? Are they any good?

Marginal, not really worth the investment if you don't have an existing SCART setup. The reason one uses RGB for old consoles is because they don't support YPbPr. Trust me, if I could just use Component, I would. RGB cables have shot up in price thanks to My Life In Gamings' series on it.Its a good series of videos and you should watch them to learn about video signals, btw

Worth mentioning, you don't -need- to go full PVM unless you're full blown autist. If all you want is a simple display for vidya, shoot for a good-condition consumer model with S-Video. Just make sure you actually test that fucker with a good video signal. I've been stuck with a garbage 32" I can't get rid of for months now.

Time to bring back the "don't fall for the SCART meme" meme.

RGB -is- superior, you can see haloing artifacts all around Sparkster and the chicken in that image. But it's plenty sharp enough for your average user.

I remember playing a hugeass crt in my old houses basement with a comfy worn in couch infront
Underground it gets truly dark and truly quiet, perfect for gaming

A neighbor tossed out a Samsung TX-S2783, and I grabbed it because it had RGB inputs in the back. It seems to have a blown power supply, which is a simple and cheap fix, but I don't know the best way to open it up. Anyone ever work on one?

what's a decent sub-$200 CRT monitor/TV? I'm looking for something that isn't eye-squintingly tiny but will still fit on my five foot wide computer desk along with two computer monitors. standard RGB input would be a plus

You're going to be looking at either a 9" or 14" Sony or Ikegami. JVC and Panasonic made some as well, but thy tended to only have Y/C input.

Are you sure it's RGB and not YPbPr? Either way, embed related.

It's probably YPbPr, but I'm going to use it for my PS2, so that won't be a problem.

CRT servicing is pretty simple, just be sure to take care when discharging it, and you should be aces. In regards to the power supply issue, you might have an issue there as most CRTs, especially 00's models tended to be single board affairs, meaning the PSU is on the same PCB as the rest of the TV's circuitry, albeit with a healthy space between it and the rest of the boar in regards to the traces.

So do people here use SD CRTs or HD CRTs?
1080p CRTs are fucking absurdly expensive. I've owned cars that cost less.

user, you know CRT monitors go above 1080p, right?

Can't wait to snag one second hand for a song in twenty years

enjoy your lag, fag

Why do none of these fucking things have composite, and why did I sell my Wii's component cables

Uh, I think you have that backwards. In the event you do not, you can convert S-Video to Composite video.

S-Video is pretty decent, however. Most old consoles support it and Component is a marginal improvement in relation to S-Video at 480i.

Ah, you're right. Point is, it only has S-Video and the three-input thing. But I can convert five-input to S-Video?

Component to S-Video is a lot more difficult, and you will lose Progressive Scan. The circuit would have to process the YPbPr signal and extract the Chroma information to pass along as Y/C. While not impossible, it is highly impractical.

As I said previously however, S-Video is no slouch, especially for 240p games like everything prior to the Dreamcast, and it's about as good as you can get for 480i.

Rotate your disc tray logo you animal.

It's fucking free. What are you complaining about?

Anyway, mine's a Sanyo DS20425, 20". Not a great CRT by any measure, and I haven't powered it up in about ten years, but whatever. Photo of the set itself isn't mine.

Nice. You can get a SCART RGB-Component converter to really make that set sing, user.

very few consumer crts will actually do 480p, the only consumer displays that will are awful hd ones.

Tried out powerslave on the saturn and I really liked it. My HTM-2050RA1 really shines.

All I got for now is my Emerson for retro stuff. Eagerly awaiting a TM14-17R. Already looking into getting a NESRGB board, since the mod looks pretty simple. Desolder a thru-hole PPU, solder in a socket, salvage an old IDE cable for ribbon line since I'm cheap as fuck… Desoldering is going to be the actual hardest part.

Gonna first practice on desoldering the PPU by pulling one from an old Famicom that I totally got from Japanese Red Cross user. I miss him…. I don't doubt I can do it, but I'd rather figure it out on a dime-a-dozen yellowed Famicom that I'm not using than start fucking with the NES-001 I actually play with.

Holy crap this is worth owning a CRT by itself. Point Blank is seriously fun, and this version works with the Guncon 2.