PSP in 2017

I know I'm decade late to the party, but in my quest to find a dedicated portable emulation machine the psp has kept popping up. Is it still worth buying one? I see them go for $50 dollars on Craigslist all the time. The fact that it emulates PS1 natively is a huge plus for me, but I've heard certain gba games (golden sun) have issues running. I'll mostly be using it to play gba Pokemon room hacks, so this is concerning.
I wanna play games under the sheets and on my back porch at night. Shits cozy as fuck, man.
That option isn't off the table

Also general psp thread

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/263110993427
wololo.net/vita-cfw4dummies/
psxeboots.com/pops-compatibility-list
henkaku.xyz
aliexpress.com/store/product/Dual-Core-White-Game-Card/417337_32752948073.html
wololo.net/emulators-for-the-psp-ps-vita-the-ultimate-download-list/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fug

Tbh i recommend a hacked 3ds or an android handheld.

It's severely underpowered and all the emulators are garbage.

A 3DS will be much more reliable for general-purpose emulation, and if you really want PSX support you can get a hackable Vita for only $100 nowadays.

You call that a room hack? THIS is a room hack.

That shit doesnt look safe

Nigga, do you now how actual stairs work? Hint: It's the exact same shit but with empty space instead of drawers.

Get you a Vita, OP. Everything the PSP does with a higher clock speed and vita games.

you realize you can slide the drawers back in right?

Vita has no games.

It at least has some rereleased PS2 games for some pseudo PS2 support. I got the Sly Collection.

PSP is an underpowered piece of shit with a weak library. Most of my play value came from GBC+GBA emulation, and it was difficult to find a good GBA emulator. The SNES emulators are trash.

Better off spending a little more money and getting an Android handheld or a controller extension for a phone.

If you like PSP and PS1 games and not wanting to deal firmware restrictions from the Vita or 3DS at a much cheaper price. Personally, I find it better than getting some half-assed handheld or burning through your phone's battery with a bulky controller if you don't want to deal with a touchscreen.
The only major downside is getting batteries, since most of them in circulation are chinese bootlegs and functional OEM batteries are a pain to find.

best be joking nigger

shit emulation, some NES and GB games, whatever library the 3DS has
decent emulation all the way up to N64 and PS1, a shit ton of forgotten games, also dirt cheap
everything the PSP has except with some more games, a few re-released PS2 games, and shit memory prices (unless you get that SD card adapter for the game card slot)

emulate everything from PSP to Dreamcast plus a good selection of exclusive games.

not for when it was released. I can agree though that Android is the best way to go

But what if you forget?! Or some idiot forgets!

Actually the 3DS does sightly better than PSP, since the psp has slow snes emulation and not so good PCE emulation.

3DS has native GBA and DS support, perfect gb and gbc with retroarch.

New 3DS is the 3ds you want for emulation, it does everything a psp does but better and snes emulation is full speed for all but SA1 and Super FX games.

What about the new 2DS?

still, an Android tablet kicks the 3DS's ass at emulation.

trash it
Are there any chink handhelds currently on the market that don't run it? I had a good time with my Dingoo back in the day,

what do you want them to run, Windows?
I don't get what people's issues are with Android tablets, considering you can customize it so easily and right now they're the future of portable emulation.

Windows, Ganoo, something custom like the PSP, fucking anything but Android my dude.
Also tablets are the worse, if I got anything Android it'd be like the Xperia Play. Physical buttons are crucial.

From this thread, look like I have to get a Vita.

And the PSP library is boss, fuck the haters.

Yeah, its shit.
Also:

It doesn't look practical anyway. If I shit my pants with diarrhea water leaking out my ass the last thing I'd want to do is hobble over each step just to find a pair of underwear. Ultimately right when I find the fuckin thing I will realize that my shit water is seeping through the step drawers these fags seem to love. Fuck step drawers. I hate this house. Why are the showers upstairs? For fuck's sake I shat myself downstairs. Now I gotta find a plastic bag to stuff my shitty diarrhea clothing and once I find the bag my nosy piece of crap neighbor sees me naked and calls the cops. Now I'll be registered as a sex offender because of some asshole who couldn't understand a shitty situation. Let's not forget that restraining order, you know what I'm glad because now I won't live in that fucking stair drawer hellhole I once called a home. I can probably use a laundry basket or shelf like a normal fucking human instead of hunching and hobbling around like a fucking orangutan just to find a pair of underwear

Serves you right for not planning ahead of time.

real stairs have like another jigsaw looking bit in the middle for support

Same as New 3DS without the 3d screen and harder to get custom fw

You call that a room hack?
You are like baby.

its for shoes you retard

Absolutely, the PSX and PSP libraries are massive and you can have complete access to them for FREE thanks to CFW and cheap SD cards.

Just be sure to grab a 3000 series because the old and special versions have several problems.

Yes some GBA titles have some problems like for example Minish Cap having a bit of sound "lag" during certain parts or Mario Kart having some frame drops that weren't present in the original hardware.

GBA emulation is serviceable overall but if you want the best experience you have to get a GBA(preferably a SP because is the shit).

Also a lot of ROM hacks don't work even on original hardware so if you really want to play them you need to do some research about the specific ROM.

If you are going to go that route you need a proper 3DS because the 2D isn't really that good at emulating and even has some frame issues with some 3DS games.

You can usually get old 3DS consoles for cheap because Nintendofags only keep the latest one.

The OLED Vita looks beautiful but i regret ever buying one because it doesn't have as many good exclusives and everything Vita related is fucking expensive, specially those (((Apple))) tier memory card.

look how shitty that grass is

why even go through the trouble of climbing up there to water it every day

he should just do the world a favor and hop off and snap his neck while he's up there

He should, there's a million better uses for the roof of those things, having dead grass on them isn't one.

PSX emulation on PSP is fucking awful
Half a decade old emulators will provide a better experience.

>everything Vita related is fucking expensive, specially those (((Apple))) tier memory card
Cartridge-to-MicroSD adapters are selling for $15 right now:
ebay.com/itm/263110993427

Can't emulate SNES properly so it's a dealbreaker.

woah fuck me. Vita is modable now? Since when? Do I need anything special? I i already imported the hueg memory card a while back. Can it emulate NES/SNES/SEGA GENESIS/GBA and PSP games? Ive been wanting a general.emulation device for a while now. While I do have a modded psp the emulators are hit and miss.

wololo.net/vita-cfw4dummies/

Found someone selling a vita slim on Craigslist for 60 dollars. It's missing the start and select buttons. Should I go for it?

PSX emulation runs fine if you use the official pkg files (and converted into eboots)
It's a bit trickier with your own custom converted files however

The fuck are you talking about? the vast majority of PSX games can be emulated flawlessly through Pops if you are not retarded.

Hell, you can even get a better experience by hooking up your PSP to an old TV(S-Video) and use a PS3 controller to play.

No they don't, the only accurate emulator is Mednafen and it only got good enough 3 years or so ago when they finally solved native CRT resolution and 8bit RGB blending/transparency.

3DS can.

It is but only for 3.60- FW.

PSP games run fine but the emulators are just pretty much the same PSP ones with a small performance boost thanks to Vita specs.

As of now 3DS is the best portable emulation console, your mileage may vary depending on the model though.

Pawn stores are better for buying 2nd hand consoles since most of them let you check them before purchase.

Fucking console gorefags.

Anyways before buying you need to be sure that it's not bricked, has 3.60 or less OFW, card reader is not fucked(happens a lot), that the battery is not some chinese knockoff and that includes an actual memory card.

Golden sun runs fine on my PSP. I'd highly recommend one, it's probably the best handheld ever made.

That aspect-ratio bullshit is pure undiluted cancer. Not only does it look like dogshit and totally fail at its intended purpose, but it actively interferes with any effort to use a more accurate solution (like RA's pixellate.cgp, or an actual fucking CRT) and can't be disabled without fucking with the source code.

And it will never be removed because every time someone tries to explain why his implementation sucks, the author totally ignores their arguments and throws out a little one-liner post about how CRTs don't have pixels, therefore this shitty nearest-neighbor upscaler is 100% accurate even though as far as I'm aware Mednafen-PCE hasn't actually output 4:3 in the entire three fucking years since its implementation.

yeah game crashing halfway through because you didn't read up on the settings you need to fiddle to get that shit working is considered working flawlessly
psxeboots.com/pops-compatibility-list
Even epsxe ran shit better than this turd.

The PSP 2000 is the most /cyber/ handheld device ever created, and definitely worth having

Mednafen has been going to shit since the "muh pixel perfect" and "OLED is the future of CRT, let's focus on shitty 4k aperture grille shaders for new HDTV's!" memes settled in the community.

Last year there was a /vr/ user working on a custom Mednafen without the scaling shit but he gave up after not being able to make color palettes work properly for actual CRT monitors and TV's.

You being too stupid or lazy to make it work properly doesn't change the fact Pops itself is pretty accurate you dumb-ass.

You clearly know nothing about emulators and i can't comprehend why are you making such incredibly retarded claims.

Ghosting is annoying.

what exactly do you have to gain from spreading this disinfo? Do you have a surplus of PSPs you want to get rid of or something?
The fact that you consider something that freezes unless you skip cinematics as "pretty accurate" only shows you're fucking retarded.

Sure. It'll emulate quite a lot without many problems, and it'll cost you maybe 50 bucks.

Most will run fine with frameskip.
It's not perfect, but it's more than playable.
Golden Sun isn't that good anyway. Pokemon games give no problems that are notable.

Update: The vita doesn't have a memory card but the guy will sell for 50. Also, someone is offering to sell a psp go for 25 dollars. It looks to be in good condition, but It's missing the charger so I can't know that it works unless I bring my own. 13% of getting kidney stolen. what do

Yeah, for almost the past 2 years.
henkaku.xyz
Yeah, pretty much flawlessly. Retroarch cores can handle SNES stuff as well as other platforms. For GBA, your best bet is the PSP emulator for right now. Still a WIP.

I think it's a good idea to get one. The Psp has a big library of games and it can handle gba games quite nicely. I can't say much for the other emulators because I haven't tried them.

I have a creeping feeling that you have no idea what you're talking about.

It's pretty odd to sell a Vita without memory card, i advice you to get one memory to check the slot if you plan to buy it.

That sounds good and you can buy a charger from amazon for like $10, the only downside of the Go is the console size if you have big hands.

I would recommend you to get the Go since you can pirate shit there easily and specially because i'm just paranoid about people selling relatively new consoles for cheap.

It's okay you only need one anyways :^)

Fucking sweet.
What the hell. How? Well, if you can get replacement buttons, go right ahead and get the Vita, provided that it works.

Aside from playing Vita games is a Vita actually better than a GPD XD or GPD Win? I know nothing about GPD Win2 other than it is planned.

Try to get the model with the OLED screen.

I'm still enjoying mine. There's no substitute for that sexy screen and comfy grip. I'll probably keep using it into the 30s.

You can probably find an unopened PSP Go for about the same price, it's the ideal PSP for hacking. It's got 16gugs built in, more than enough for a good handful of games, and if you swap regularly, you can avoid the self-destructive Memory Stick Duos altogether.

I also like the design. Slidy electronics are cool.

It's also more expensive

Probably not, since it does more.

The PSP is a comfy emulation handheld, but a cheap 3DS is nice as well, as GBA Virtual Console Injects emulaton is really good, and you can get a cheap (5 dollars) DS flashcart so you can play every game in nintendo's handheld library. Also the 3DS itself has some good games as well, and some classics with 3D effects.

If you have a hackable PSVita (Firmware 3.60 or lower) you can get a GameCard to MicroSD adapter, you can get a great emulation machine, but it's a little bit harder to get everything together

Care to recommend a good SNES emu?
The ones in the PSP are shit and cause it to freeze. The Genesis one is fucking amazing though, especially with the internal upscaling in Adrenaline.
All I can find are those dumb retro plug-in things, which I don't want because the interface is garbage.

On PSVita? Retroarch's Snes9X 2005 Core runs quite well.
On 3DS, "Snes9X for 3DS" is really good.

There's standalone ports of CatSFC and Snes9x, but the devs have long since abandoned them in favor of their RA counterparts.

Got a link?

Only issue with the PSP go is if you ever want more memory you have to buy a proprietary memory card, and because of the design you can never go crazy with memory having 64 to 128 or more gigs of it. I've heard the PSP could theoretically take up to 2TBs of memory if we ever got micro SDs that could pull it off, and the idea of having every fucking psp/ps1 game on one system at all times is pretty tempting.

That aside PSP Go is cool as fuck. It's tiny enough to actually carry around and the screen is great.

Aliexpress is your friend (They're a bit hidden though)
Thanks to Custom Firmware, even the old DS flashcarts work regardless of Firmware version

GOT IT
aliexpress.com/store/product/Dual-Core-White-Game-Card/417337_32752948073.html

It's 7 dollars, but still cheap as fuck.

The psp go guy flaked, but I ended up buying a 3000 from my friend for 40 bucks. Just installed cfw pro. Is there a relatively recent list of recommended emulators out there? I've heard gpSPkai 3.4 is the best gba emulator.

Why the fuck would you automatically assume that's for storing your fucking skivvies of all things?

Get an acecard 2i which I think will be compatible with magnethax on the 3ds, this way you can hack any 3ds ever released until Nintendo updates the bootrom on the 3ds, which requires a new hardware revision. If the acecard is the only one that works for it the prices for the flashcart are gonna skyrocket.
(new 2ds doesn't fix this exploit)

Emulating old gen games is great but don't forget that the PSP itself has a godd library.

wololo.net/emulators-for-the-psp-ps-vita-the-ultimate-download-list/

the PSP doesnt take more than a 200GB microsd for the memory duo adapter, anything above can be recognized but prepare for corruption and crashes when trying to copy your iso files. That what happened when i tried a Samsung 256gb microsd, but the psp started to shit itself, while the Sandisk 200GB worked flawlessly.

Also the game list in the XMB menu will take 15-30 seconds, depending on how much games you put on it and the amount of memory storage in your microsd.

I'm gonna get gurumin based on box art alone. Looks comfy as fuck. thanks user.

Gurumin is a really fun game, i want to furiously pat Parin and Pino.

Oh man! MGS, Tactics Ogre, Crowlanser, and Gurumin! But no Boogerman? Droppped

get a load of this townie.
no idea why he's mowing it instead of turning it though.

Castlevania's 3D remake is a fucking eyesore but you just need to finish the game once to unlock the original PC engine version of Chi no Rondo and a reworked Symphony of the Night with proper english translation, Maria Renard, new VA, etc.

7th Dragon got a fan translation not long ago.

best use I got out of my PSP was softmodding my xbox