Star Ocean Thread

Fuck you Tri-Ace.

Was she an ordinary cute loli without the english?

Nope, instead she ends her sentences with "nanoyo"

Reminder that Lymle is a teacher in the epilogue

Order her to stop saying kay
Spank her every time she forgets

One thing I hated about this game?
The fact Reimi kept slapping and getting agro at Edge for shit that wasn't his fault.
And I know it's a Jap meme for this shit to happen but fucking hell it was handled awfully.

Edge: "Looks dangerous lads. I'll go down first."
Reimi: "N-no you won't, p-PERVERT!"
Like what in the fuck your problem lass?

That's actually something anime often does.

If you go first down a ladder and the skirt wearing girl goes next. Pantsu!

Honestly there's a reason why armies switched to pants.

>Forgetting FUCKING SPATS

I expected the worst upon hearing of that character, but Lymle is actually the most interesting character of the cast.

Well, the only interesting character of the cast.

God damn SO4's cast was terrible.

Rude

Yeah I didn't get this. If she had actually wearing a dress I wouldn't mind as much, but she's literally wearing shorts

Come on user Meracle and Faize weren't that bad

US PS1s aren't too expensive right?

What's wrong with emulation? PS1 games run pretty smooth

I have been emulating it on mednafen but I just want to indulge my nostalgia

Wasn't that annoying bitch actually an adult but because of some magic accident she was trapped as a 8 year old in both mind and body?

Meracle was stupid strong and Bacchus had horrible combos/specials but he could keep himself alive forever

Myuria was meant to be romanced and have Edge take place of her late husband but it never lead anywhere other than lite teasing which made me mad thinking that this widow was playing hard to get until the end but you don't want to play the game over again for different character cutscenes

Faize and him becoming the big bad because of some random NPC you interact with for 90 seconds dies was really REALLY fucking stupid

I have no complaints about that Dante elf dude, he was the mandatory edgey anime character most JRPG's have nowadays

Reimi was built for sex but not marriage, the most broken character in the game with the best dodge and the ability to attack enemies while dodging and from afar, could probably solo the whole game as her if you never got hit but with that dodge it's hard to imagine you will

Sarah deserves to die, literally added nothing to the gameā€¦ please tell me what Sarah did again besides be annoying and have slow spell cast times???
NOTHING THAT'S WHAT

I'm not even going to type out a long sentence for Edge, worse than Fayt from 3 because he was a little bitch up until the end of the game , Fayt at least got over his emo I HATE EVERYONE PHASE by the second disc

I still play 3 sometimes, never beat the the final boss in it, someday I'll climb to the tower top if machine enemies weren't so fucking broken

Burger here. I saw Star Ocean: The Second Story for the PS1 earlier at a local shop for $25 or so, and that's about the average price on it in my neck of the non-existant woods (maybe $30 at most for complete preowned). I feel bad for those of you that live in PAL, especially Australia, between price hikes like pics related, delayed releases, and in some cases outright missing games entirely. Also cases where otherwise well received games were apparently not wanted until decades late (Chrono Trigger taking 14 years to come to PAL, via the DS port).

Anyhow, no, NA Playstations aren't too pricy, but that's as far as prices out HERE go. I'm not certain as to what Australian import prices look like on them. Also, I figure I might as well mention that PS2s also aren't all that pricy either (more than a PS1, but still in the $40-50 range, depending on model), and have PS1 backwards compatibility, so if you were to import one, you'd probably get access to more games overall. The real issue I suppose would be what import costs look like (for both the system and games you're interested in), and while I'd wager NA PS1 prices are better on average than have-to-sell-the-roo-you-ride-to-work-in Australian aftermarket vidya prices, there's a number of games where even prices out here are pretty shit too, which I can only imagine would be higher as an export if it's a game you guys didn't see out there to begin with.

Might also need to double check compatibility of an imported system with your guys' TVs out there. I know back in the day PAL was at 50MHz, while NTSC was at 60MHz. I'm not sure if that might cause issues or not. Memory card compatibility as well; depending on if your local cards are compatible or not, it could be an additional expense (and PS1 memory cards are pretty small in memory size/slots, albeit cheap)

My CRT has an NTSC mode so I'm fine for import consoles
GC and Wii game prices are insane here, I bought Radiant Dawn new back in 2008 for $80 and it's like $140-$200 now.

Well, in that case, by all means look into what import prices on stuff you might be interested are like. Just bear in mind that, at least without modchipping or swap magic discs, the PS1 and PS2 are region locked for physical discs (a fat PS2 with an HDD and loader set up can get around PS2 region lock for digitally stored games). Even the PS3, despite being (mostly) region-free for its own library, and the early models having PS2 backwards compatibility, is still region locked for PS1 and PS2 discs. I'd also mention maybe making a North American PSN account and using it with a PS3, but that wouldn't help you with playing Star Ocean, because Square seems to have some massive hatred for making old games Enix handled (or even their PSP remakes/ports) available digitally; only one I know of that's been rereleased being ActRaiser for the VC.

Until recently, Twilight Princess used to average maybe $45-75 where I am, for the Gamecube one anyhow (the Wii version being more common and apparently having less demand as well). The "HD" version seems like it might be doing a number on both demand and price for the Gamecube version here these days.

I've heard that Radiant Dawn saw a reprint in North America a while back, but I'm not sure to what degree, or if, it's really helped with prices. But it and Path of Radiance are most definitely pricy, and PoR has a spike that can be linked to Awakening getting really popular here.

Star Ocean: The Second Story is the only SO game I've played. What others are non-shitty?

The 1st, and maybe the 3rd. That's it.

SO4 in general had a terrible cast

You played the best, the rest will just be a series of increasingly disappointing poopfeasts.
I wish they'd translate/remake Blue Sphere already.

Considering AG isn't even making progress with their "priority" projects anymore, fat fucking chance of a patch coming out for it unless some other group decides to pick it up.

the number of people who have translated half then dropped it makes me want to die.
We might as well just learn jap at this point.
Need more SO2

According to the AG page, it remains sitting at 60% overall completion (I would assume the rest being editing, debugging, etc) and the last news report was over five years ago. Main issue being that, again, apparently no one at AG is making progress on ANYTHING anymore, the website hasn't seen a news update in two fucking years, and (from what I've heard) Zhi would rather retweet SJW shlock on twatter than do anything worthwhile (though maybe that's for the best, given the prior). If he could at least outright state he's thrown in the towel, that would be one thing, but he and his site have just strung people along with two years of absolutely nothing (meanwhile, while I'm disappointed in Cless, I do appreciate that he made a news post about why Phantasian Productions wouldn't be translating anything else).

That is one of the worst games I've ever played. I couldn't believe how shit it was.

test