Macfag gaming

Do Macfags even play video games anymore?
Does the platform have any worthwhile exclusives that aren't Pathways into Darkness?
Please do not actually buy a Macintosh

Other urls found in this thread:

pangeasoft.net/macGames.html
alephone.lhowon.org/
archive.is/P29Rj
elementary.io/
gnustep.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Isn't the Surface Book better than the Macbook Pro? Or is it the same shit.

Macventures

Please do not actually buy a Macintosh, you fucking plebian. Apple's graphics drivers are so shit that you'll get better performance by installing a normalfag Linux distro on a Mac.

Macs play games?

Oh boy, another mobile gaming thread. You can join console rejects in the corner.

Neato

They probably play whatever is popular on steam.

Is this implying they ever did?

Most of the ones I know just play on consoles or handhelds if they're interested in video games at all.
MacOS is just shitty for games in modern times and most of them only really ever get the laptops so they look to them more as work machines than play machines.

Games being exclusive to Mac OS went the way of the dinosaur when Apple started producing hardware with Intel chips instead of their own chips.

Neither are that good, and you'd be retarded to play video games on a laptop. Get a Thinkpad and put some Linux distribution on it.

It's not even a mobile gaming thread, dumbass.

Dobson pls

Mac gaming got better when making a hackintosh sucked less.

Gaming on a real like Mac computer sucks horrendous horrid horsecock though.

The only thing the Mac had going for was Bungie, everything else was ported to PC, much like how Bungie was bought out by MS

What do you even use a Mac for?

The "classic" Mac OS still has a handful of cool exclusives:

The one thing Mac has over PC right now is that the Apple App Store is the only place where you can get EU3 Chronicles, which is the complete version of EU3.

There are still some MacOS exclusive games from shareware companies like Pangea Software. pangeasoft.net/macGames.html
Just from looking at the screenshots, they seam like garbage.

*seem

I guess the same gullible retards who would buy a mac would be the same people playing ASSFAGGOTS and CRAPCUNTS.

Ironic.

I am literally playing video games on a laptop right now. Fight me.

Nothing. Even video producers are moving to PC and Adobe Premier for editing. Coloring software like Davanci Resolve is on both mac and pc. Ever since Apple shat out FCPX, Final Cut has become a joke.

t. video editor

i just play stuff on fightcade and whichever shmups i can emulate or run on wine. i don't really care about new games so it works out.

was spin doctor an exclusive?

to charge your phone

apple also used to make some of the best displays out there which is a big deal if you're working with print in any capacity but they even gave that up

Might as well take the bait

I play PC games on my Mac, haven't booted into Windows for years. I mostly use Wine and Boxer (DOSBox but for normal people) to play PC games and OpenEmu for emulation. Wine is a crapshoot at times, sometimes it requires tinkering, sometimes it works out of the box, and sometimes it won't work. Since I don't use Steam and only play older games I can play pretty much anything I want.

No, not when it comes to games. Part of this is because unless you are willing to buy a Mac Pro (which is a workstation and not a home computer) your graphics card will suck, so there is no real incentive for AAA games to invest into the Mac. Indie developers do invest into the Mac, but their games are not very demanding and as such are release for as multi-platform from the start.

Speaking of which, there is no point in buying a game if you only get the Mac version. Apple doesn't care much about preserving backwards compatibility; a technology has a guaranteed life span of about 5 years, then it becomes legacy which will be dropped after a couple of years. Blizzard games (Starcraft, Warcraft III, Diablo II) had the issue that they were compiled for Power PC processors, so after Apple killed of Rosetta (the technology that allowed to run PPC binaries on Intel chips) those games became unplayable and I had to instead play the Windows version through Wine. Blizzard has since patched those games, but that's because they are Blizzard, other old Mac games are now useless.

Back then OS X was the only Unix systems with a pleasant UI for end users. There is no way I'm going back to the shithole that is Windows again. Since then Apple has progressively become more and more shit, but there is still some software I need that has no counterpart on GNU/Linux, so I have been holding out on a new computer for years.

It is on specs, but most of them are overpriced to hell and back. Windows 10 also requires a Prop 65 warning in the state of California. Some of them are more expensive than half of Apple's desktops, and certainly any of their laptops or tablets. I've been told they're also lacking in battery life and LTE connectivity, two things that are important if you travel a lot for work.

Video editing if you don't want to waste your time learning Premiere's archaic interface or gamble on Vegas now being updated by some small German developer. If you're only into older consoles, older computers, or for some god forsaken reason, current consoles, macOS might be worth it if you're tired of the other two.

I second this, the only thing more expensive and tiresome than old Windows/IBM-compatible gaming is old Mac 68k/PPC gaming, as beautiful as some of the older machines were that IBM, Compaq, Sony, and Apple offered back in the day.

Could Halo save gaming on Macs if Microsoft hadn't bought it out?

If it had been bundled with the iMac and they dropped the hockey puck mouse for one with a proper wheel and at least three buttons, one aligned for the thumb, sure.

But a gui is completely tertiary to performance and functionality. It's like saying you don't want a faster, better car because the interior looks a little ugly.

Do you have any thoughts on Darwin? I've got an old iMac I came across circa 07' and figured I may as well do some tinkering.

Is there a way to play Marathon games on pc. I've seen quite a few anons praise it.

Not sure but I think it's one of those deals where the engine is open source but you still have to pirate the game files?

Performance and functionality mean jack shit if the interface sucks. It's like getting a Bugati and replacing the door handle mechanism with one of those shitty three-dimensional key puzzles from Zelda: Skyward Sword.

alephone.lhowon.org/
Aleph One has Windows, Macintosh, and GNU/Linux versions.

Supposedly Mac OSX is stuck with outdated OpenGL libraries forcing developers to ship their own GL libs. This is in complete contrast to Windows that provides a global set of DirectX libraries and even Linux that also provides global OpenGL libs. This is why Mac OSX has no games, Apple never really cared about games, Mac OSX itself is just not a very good environment for game development. GNU/Linux really isn't either but even they get more support for games than OSX because at least GNU/Linux has some market there of people who want to see games on a Free Software platform, Apple is the odd-one-out since it does not appeal to Free Software users or the standard end users who use Windows. Apples only markets are non-game content creation which is a very niche market but it's one that Apple was comfortably able to corner and become complacent in

(checked)
Source?

I've used both Premiere Pro and Vegas for many years on my Windows workstation. Is Final Cut Pro really as Godlike as they say?

I remember reading it on the Dolphin Emulator Blog. Can't seem to find the exact post though

FCPX is built for people like me who hate editing, and who only need image adjustment, keying, and for the video to come out looking and sounding the same as the sources. If you're content with Vegas or Premiere and don't have a current Mac that can run the free trial version, I would really do the homework to see how it works, because some users hate it.

I have an iMac G4. I can play some stuff on it like the Mac port of System Shock, an old promo game for Primus based on YDKJ and an old doujin shm'up. It is pretty cool. Hopefully when I move I can unpack it sooner.

Video editor user here again. If you were talking ten years ago in the age of FCP7, you'd be right. But ever since Final Cut Pro X and everyone realizing how absolutely shit and overpriced Apple hardware is, many editors are switching to Premiere on wangblows or if they're working on big productions still working with Avid, which is far more archaic than Premier. If think Premier's interface is archaic and a waste of time, you're the exact type of retard FCPX, which is basically a glorified iMovie, was designed for.

Not anymore. FCP7 held out for a while after X pissed everyone off, but it lacks a lot of shit needed for newer things like 4K/HDR editing or what have you.

You're better off sticking with Premier, preferably a version behind as Adobe has been having issues with recent updates to CC 2017 from what I've heard. Vegas is decent for cutting your teeth on, but it's not "pro" editing software.

I've found Vegas perfect if you're working with smaller projects and you just want to jump in and start editing. But I know what you mean

Well yeah, because IBM was never able to deliver and Intel got gud. Why do people put non-x86 platforms on some fucking pedestal? ARM was never able to reach the same performance ceiling as x86_64 and neither was PowerPC. Look at the supercomputer market right now, it's dominated by Intel Xeons because IBM could never catch up. It's fucking dead now.

Try most. FCPX is a fisher's price toy of "pro" editing software. It pissed a lot of pros off, and in the time Apple tried to "fix" it, Adobe took its audience with CS6 and later CC. Avid users continued to with Media Composer, despite its issues, it's still widely used for large projects like movies and tv shows.

But thanks for confirming you're a novice that fits in with X's audience.

Vegas was my first piece of editing software, and it's a good introduction if you like post-production. It's not bad for hitting the ground running on small projects. I even keep a version of Vegas 12 for one specific use: audio syncing, specifically stretching out or compressing waveforms as Vegas has a setting that makes it sound really seamless, and I've yet to it used in other software. It's great for syncing up say, audio from a PAL source to NTSC video, which I've done a lot of in my spare time.

But for bigger projects that require lots of organization and more intricate cutting, I use Premiere, and for color grading I use Resolve if needed.

Exactly, Vegas is God-tier when it comes to syncing audio. wither it's syncing an external mic audio to the video source by matching the sound check in the waveforms or simply making a music video. I know a guy who knows a guy who writes and performs his own music and I've made some really neat music montages with Vegas for him. Nothing too big mind you, just some B-rolls syncing to the music, but if I need it to look professional and clean, I will use Vegas for that every time.

That's correct. Did you read what I wrote about how much I hate editing? These old versions of FCP that get so much praise started at $999 and required you to manually render video after you manually went to the directory and added the file. It stuck out like a sore thumb on an OS where installing applications usually required dragging an icon into a directory.
The only big issue I remember with "pros" was not being able to write edited video back to tape. This was in 2011, and that's about the point where if you're still on some digital Betacam-based tape system, keeping it up in a world of flash storage and crashing prices on hard drives should be the responsibility of a third party. That is, if there's a market for such an extension or add-on.
That's great. Enjoy your outdated interface and subscription DRM. I can tell through your umbrage at an Apple product being different from the others that you love every step of video editing and want that time extended as much as practicality allows.

Macfag here. Whatever Wine/OpenEmu/Steam(this one least, tho.) can break open I can play. This basically means no games with multiple screens popping up, for example BYOND or anything like that.

I dunno, but I heard they're planning on making external GPUs a thing so they don't have to upgrade their shit.

Not unless you count Candy Crush and other normalfag microtransaction shit. Apple stopped giving a shit about games after the Xbox came out.

Most of the time I just like to run a Mac OS X VM for fun, to see what I can get running on it. But most of the time I'm just using a VM to emulate an Apple II.

Not really. Mac gaming was on the decline since the Marathon days. The most basic PCs were outclassing the Macs, that when the iMac came out Windows became the dominate platform. Go onto Steam right now, and look at how many games actually have Mac support, then compare it to the amount of games that have Linux support.

Few years back

The "Elastic (Speech)" setting is what still kind of blows my mind in how it can allow for elongating or crunch (to a point) a waveform and have it still sound "right" with no pitch shifting or stuttering. It's made syncing audio a breeze between different sources while also highlighting issues in sources I wouldn't have noticed.

I will. You enjoy your dumbed down imovie interface that makes it a pain in the ass to do heavy duty cutting.
And the lack of XML support, multicam editing, markers, and the new bullshit magnetic timelines.

Yes.
Does PC?
I don’t have that box, but I do have all the original Marathon games.

Don’t get or build a Mac with ATI hardware and you won’t have that problem. nVidia handles their own OS X drivers.

Your retardation takes away from your incorrect pedantry.

Not really true for any development use. Granted, the iMac Pro is a cocksuckingly retarded idea (which DOES actually appeal to a growing number of “prosumer” people) for many professionals’ use cases (the display is the best on the fucking market, though), but with every release of the Mac Pro, Apple has consistently come in $5000 or more under a comparable PC.

What does he mean by this?

Any "prosumer" can build a capable PC for half the price of an iShit Pro.

Yeah no. The editing PC I use work probably took a couple of grand to build compared to the 3 grand 6 core model Mac Pro. My home PC I use for vidya and occasional editing is like 1500 bucks in total cost.

Apple's hardware is a goddamn farce.

It’s proven; you can go look it up on basically any PC website. At launch, they’re thousands of dollars less than the PC equivalent. Here’s the thing, too: Apple’s pushing into AR and VR now. Only time will tell if they’re able to make VR anything other than the kike pile of shit that it currently is.

*teleports behind u*

*presses V key to unsheathe cutting tool*

*makes cuts into u*

*adds crossfade*

*puts on markers for further cutting*

heh, nothin personel bucko

If you're talking about what's here:
archive.is/P29Rj
I don't need to, already work with PC hardware that's comparable to it.
No they aren't. And considering this is the best Apple has to offer, let's see how it compares to the best PC equivalent using the best Intel CPU and nvidia GPU with the highest amount of usable RAM. Oh sure, now PC is more expensive, and it also curb stomps the specs you get with the Apple Trashcan.

That is WRONG. Macs are STILL overpriced as fuck

Proof?
Pic related
>FOR 1.5K DOLLARS!
In contrast, the laptop I got when I was in the market for a portable worstation is an ASUS ROG GL502 with the following specs

Granted I bought this guy last year so maybe things have changed since then but that's just my personal experience

Forgot to mention the ROG was ~200 dollars cheaper than the Macbook despite having vastly superior specs. I didn't get a "Retina Display" but that's what external monitors are for. You don't need a very high res screen when working with 13-15 inch screen sizes to get a high DPI.

That's redundant.

rm -rf / yourself fam.

any other tiling wm is acceptable too.

How retarded are you? Bitcoin is used all the time in the Deep Web for they're untraceable.

Everytime this is posted on Holla Forums everybody laughs at it for being cancerous garbage.

i too like to watch the world burn

It's not about the looks, if you want an OS that looks like OS X you can install ElementaryOS (pic related)
elementary.io/

What I mean is functionality. Like being able to draw a selection of a clip in iMovie and then drag&drop it into iDVD where the thumbnail goes was amazing. It was like the Unix philosophy of "do one thing and do it well" plus the the Unix concept of stringing all those applications together, but on a GUI level instead of on the CLI. It's the little things that were thought out so well.

You mean the OS that OS X is built upon? Without Cocoa Darwin is really barebones, I have no idea what I would do with that unless I was trying to make my own Darwin-based distribution. You will barely be able to run any Mac applications if you don't have the Cocoa libraries. Maybe you could use GNUStep as a Cocoa replacement.
gnustep.org/

You know, now that I think about it, a Free as in Freedom replacement for OS X that is compatible would be a really cool thing.

Correct, they are focusing on their proprietary Metal API instead. They don't even support Vulkan.
So what, Apple ships Metal. Both are proprietary shit, they only reason why people develop
for DirectX is because Windows is so prevalent.

Bitcoin's viable because criminals, anonymity junkies and le deep-webbers use it as mentioned. TF2's fucktarded economy came from Greek's financial minister being hired to Valve to constantly fuck with things; he's explicitly why stupid shit like "retired" hats happened in deliberate attempts to fuck with TF2's economy, which didn't start freefalling until a combination of his efforts and CS:GO siphoning all of TF2's traders and other idlers.

Alright, where is this from?

why do I think of Good Will whenever I see the old MacOS logo?