Potions

What games have actually well thought out potions/beverages? They're almost always very generic or don't have effects that make sense for what they consist of. How about after effects?

What the fuck is up with your image?
WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS FACE!?

Unrelated, but I love that Potion Seller guy's videos.

You smell of plebbit faggotry.

I think the TES games have some decent potion making, at least the older ones.

rescuing this thread from horrible art

He was too WEAK.

But what was in the potion

In a perfect summer men like you wouldn't exist, but this not a perfect summer.

Good question.

only the dankest kush lmao

This

Ever since his famous potion seller video he's developed a remarkable ability to never break character.
I wish I was as good as improv as he is.

The knight was objectively current.

Yeah I guess, I just liked how it captured the knight breaking down.

Now I remember this fucker, the OP threw me off because the art looked tumblr as fuck

I think that's by far his best video.

He's decent at music as well.
He's talented all around.

Witcher 1 had the best potion system of anything ever.

It was pretty fucking comfy.

DEEPEST

L O R E

The entire album is called Songs About My Wife, a lot of his fans think it's the same character as the embed you posted.

Every time.

I enjoyed that system, only problem I had was initially not knowing what the hell to collect and hang on to and just how much STUFF there was.

This guy should be a voice actor

She's gone forever

It really has a certain charm to it.

Is Dolores the pizza?

DEEPEST LORE

Kill me

Up to at least Oblivion, which, while not fun-broken as in Morrowind, does introduce poisons and works better balance-wise. What did Skyrim do? They ruined spellmaking.

This looks pretty cool.

It was probably in an older AGDG thread but someone was discussing this possibility, it mostly turned into technical discussion about how to implement it without having it be possible to reverse.

Never marry food kids.

IT'S ROTTEN

I still don't understand why TW2 and TW3 ditched this extremely comfy system. It was one of the things they got right in the first game and they fucking just forgotten about it.

Planescape: Torment had some interesting variations on common potions. Healing potion was a drop of coagulated blood you ate or a pipe you smoke to create caustic clouds.

Wish games would get more creative instead of magic effect in a bottle.

You're injured? Good thing you have that bag of blood spiders you pour over yourself and they weave your wounds back together with their silk and bite you to soothe the pain of it all.

Casualization always happens when the game series moves to consoles.

There's 7 dedicated ingredients and a ton of combinations.

Worse: they removed spell making.

Plenty of the potions are just memes. The one that are actually useful are:
There is plenty of useless shit.

How else are you meant to become the little girl user?

But you aren't little.

Detect enemy (hunter is what I assume) is very useful for hunting rare mobs like mimics. Archery potion can be useful even endgame if you use shit like daedalus bow or whatever. Endurance potion is obviously extremely good for bossfights. Same with Ironskin, at least before hardmode. Etc etc, there are plenty of potions that are really good for boss battles.

Sometimes, replenishing health is just replenishing health
Not every aspect of a videogame has to be overly complicated.

Wrath, Battle, Gills, Water Walking, Inferno, Featherfall, Flipper, and Lifeforce potions are all useful.
Some potions are just for fun too, like Love, Stink, and Sex change.

Not nice.

Witcher

UnReal World has a bunch of herbs that can be either eaten, boiled, or applied to do things like stop bleeding, help recover from starvation, clean wounds, or kill yourself. No mixing, though.

For you.

I only really used Swallow and Cat with any regularity.
Remember to Quen kids.

Well Path of Exile has a somewhat interesting flask system, although I wouldn't really consider it a potion system, your flasks refill as you kill enemies, so you don't buy more, they have mods and rarities like other items in the arpg genre, which includes unique flasks which are for the most part, OP as shit, again, not really a potion system IMO, but interesting.

Witcher 1, especially on Hard, made you make use of potions and blade coatings more than Witcher 2 or 3 - in Witcher 3 the potions / concoctions / blade coatings were nice and powerful if you specialized in Alchemy, but other than that there weren't really that necessary - especially because you can heal through food, among other things.

Witcher 1 handled it the best, but at the same time magic in Witcher 1 wasn't that great, or at least it wasn't nearly on the same level as the later games in terms of its effectiveness.

The best part of Witcher's alchemy system was how it wasn't merely a "gather x of y to make potion" with a shopping list you took to the fields.
Instead you needed chemical ingredients that had several sources so even if you had no X herb nearby, there was Y petal that had the same chemical element.

Then there was the base, with several different qualities. The higher quality, the more elements you could mix, so higher tier potions required better alcohol to be made, which made looking for fancy drinks in merchants or finding them as loot very interesting.

Then there was something that you only start to realize mid-game and I'm sure a lot of people don't even notice it. You could get secondary effects if you took the time to think your choices.
Besides the main chemicals there were secondary ones and if you combined 3 of them, you'd get something like extra damage or recovering some health.
The ingredients that had extra chemicals were rarer but could make more usefull potions, like a Swallow that increases your damage.

All of it was actually a very simple system that even a child could understand with enough time, but it still did an amazing job at selling the world, being immersive and giving you choice.
Plus, it was actually fucking powerfull and potions\oils lasted for a fuckload of time. Fighting the wyverns in the first swamp with the help of the right oil made the fight go from nightmare to trivial.

Now compare that shit to TES, where your potions last 30 seconds or less and barely provide any benefit. Compare a Night-Vision potion that works for 30 seconds to Cat, that lasts several hours, more than enough to explore several caves.
Compare the potency of Swallow to Skyrim's "I've got a drinking problem but maybe the 45th health potion will help".

Brilliance upsets people. It makes them feel inferior. Better that they should make do with low quality, fun scribbles.

I always wondered, this is a referance to Diablo where you cant buy certain potions until you reach the right lvl

Too bad he just makes shitty music now

He made a single album, did some music videos for it then went back to his silly videos.

Oh that's good then.

You're wrong yet you have a point.
Potions aren't useless in Terraria, shit like Hunter or Inferno and even shit like Obsidian Skin are extremely useful, the problem is that crafting most of Terraria's potions isn't worth the time.
If you find them it's fucking great but going out of your way to craft them isn't useful.
Potions in Terraria (aside from Health, Mana and Spelunker) are more consumables you find around than actual shit you craft yourself.

Huuh, monster hunter?

Oh shit, he found the jew angle.

post the shillout 4 version

nvm found it

For all of the shit it gets, Breath of the Wild actually charted out a shitload of ingredients and combinations you can minmax to make potions ("Elixirs") and food in general.
Wish it was even more complex, but it's pretty solid anyway.

To bad you can pretty much break the game with health items making the mechanic useless.

das the good shit. I could swear I've seen this somewhere besides the witcher before.

Morrowind

time stop healing is the worst in videogames.

You could find a way to do it right but it's almost always too freely available, able to hold too many instant healing items with no down side.

ZOE 3 NEVER