Wargame Thread

Discuss all wargame-related things here. And maybe find new battle-buddies to play with while doing so.

A wargame is in the vein of real-time or turn-based tactics or strategy games, but considerably more autistic and niche. Examples include but are not limited to:

How are your turns going, /games/?

As for me:

Webm related, my StuG's make first contact with my opponent's T-34-85's. It does not go well for the Russians, and my halftrack with the short 75mm gun.

One of the pics related, an American 50mm mortar section has a mortar duel with my 81mm section. The former lose horribly.

Encircled another Chinese field army in the area north of Shanghai. At this point, I have refined IJA tactics, training and weapon distribution that I can safely say that the only things holding back swift conquest of China are the rugged terrain and the ridiculous numbers of the Chinese military.

That spambot sure did a number on Holla Forums. Hopefully it will be better this time.

Other urls found in this thread:

theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/american-conquest-divided-nation/
mega.nz/#!x6BTybhT!SB_tMI9QbqbUKoTu51hqFFuEl936MS1iMvAaB1GDMtM
pastebin.com/TwMLZQ6h
my.mixtape.moe/sbxzkd.rar
mediafire.com/file/hw8narvwlqez7m3/GTOS kr_pol_eng.7z
store.steampowered.com/app/251950/World_War_II_Online/
uploadfiles.io/9t132
sudden-strike-maps.de/index.php/downloads/download/38-rwm-8-0-software/106-rwm-8-0-beta-3-release
matrixgames.com/amazon/PDF/WitE Patchnote 1.08.03.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Where can I torrent these combat mission games?
Gamestorrent failed me and one of the piratebay mirrors has a version that no one seems to be getting to work without having already pirated an earlier version

Are the AGEOD games any good? They cover bretty interesting timelines

Combat Mission: Shock Force and Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy on PirateBay work fine. I got my copy of Combat Mission: Red Thunder from a shady Russian website before it got taken down.

I've never actually played any of those, sorry. They do look interesting though.

Last thread I forgot to mention Gary Grigsby games, and now I forget to mention CMANO. Sorry, user. It won't happen again.

Gimmie some American Civil War games and/or mods.

I've been eyeing the American Civil War: Brothers vs. Brothers mod for Empire: Total War.

Just going to add for any fags that might get scared off by how these games look: certain titles are actually quite accessible with maybe ~2 minutes to skim the manual and posting ITT if you get confused. Rule the Waves and Combat Mission can be quite easily picked up by anyone who isn't a retard.

I've never tried it but isn't picrelated considered a classic?
I will say to avoid Battleplan: American Civil War. It's got a few nice ideas but it just doesn't work well in practice, I think it would have worked better as a turn-based game and the attempt to stay abstract/accessible means it's hard to tell what's actually going on while playing.

If anyone wants a new battle buddy to play pirated CM with, my Discord is Def #1801. :3

There's Civil War II by the AGEOD guys, might be worth a pirate

is running with rifles ded

What the actual fuck.

Welcome to being niche as fuck, you just missed it on sale too. Just go to igg-games

Selling your game at almost 80 dollars certainly won't help you being niche.

This game would be niche even if it was free, look at dwarf fortress. The masses just don't want that level of complexity at any price.

So what's everyone playing now?

i'm playing combat mission afghanistan but i can't get it to run to save my fucking life. it's always either ugly as shit, choppy as shit, the sound is fucked or something. any tips?

Have you checked pcgamingwiki?

yeah, there's virtually nothing about it (unless i'm just retarded and can't find it)

I love the visuals of Graviteam Tactics, but i wish it didn't run like shit. Or else its just a warfare screenshot making simulator. And it doesn't even matter if graphics are set to max or to minimum, its always shit performance regardless. Because the simulation itself what lags it.

They really need to unfuck driving AI too, I'm fine with not having precise control over my units but for this to work they have to be smart enough to not drive straight into a river or somehow get their tiger tank sticking straight up into the air because they decided to dive into a trench. More games need realistic ranges like it has too, watching night battles with all the tracers flying across the map is the comfiest thing ever.

Shock Force NATO is alright tbh. Too bad i couldn't find english version of NATO expansion. Can put americans against canadians and britain. Also no russia, and that sucks.

Those games seem like mostly about putting your commands in the beginning and watch shit getting fucked across the map.

Interesting fact, Mius-Front has better performance than Shilovo 1942, but Shilovo has more campaigns to play.

Don't mind me changing ids to bump with screenshots.

Wish we had more (detailed) non-historical wargames. Why is it that we have plenty of games that model component damage, active defences, and proper armour penetration for modern or WW2 settings, but none that go so in-depth in sci-fi settings? As soon as it's fictional, suddenly slapping a healthbar on it and making it move around like a hovercraft is fine. I guess maybe developers who take on sci-fi projects are neither grognards enough for that level of detail, and they especially aren't grognard enough to come up with at least semi-feasible designs (which would actually be a lot of work).

So other then IGG and a few torrents, and instead of buying them, any good downloads for the combat mission games?

Don't you mean the opposite? This sentence doesn't make much sense to me

Ultimate General: Civil War
It's from the same guys who did Gettysburg, but it's in early access so you better fucking pirate it.

Really? I thought the Darth modding guy that was working on it.

All of this could have been prevented with a couple of AA cannons, or even just MANPADS in next to the command unit.

At least their trailer claims it to be. They also made: Ultimate General: Civil War, which is out of EA since 2014.

American Conquest: Divided Nation

I don't know what i should be impressed of. By stupidity of AI or by how physics engine calculates everything.

I had a full APC drive straight into a creek once. He did it at about 2 mph, slowly and deliberately while I sat there frantically ordering him away until I ran out of command points.

I could never get into hearts of iron III, but darkest hour is one of my favorite games

What are your specs?

Threadly reminder that Darkest Hour is HOI for people with taste

So, I had a question. I haven't played HoI since the second game and would like to get back into it. What I want to know is if there is a mod that will let me start as Germany in 1933 and extend the scenario past 1945 while keeping things interesting (plenty of events, decisions, wars, etc.).

Rutracker has a few of them (in English).

I usually just don't even try off-roading anywhere remotely near trenches now.

How can you guys fuck up so much with armor? I have like 80 hours clocked in Operation Star and I don't remember I've ever lost IFV/APC because it flipped thanks to trench.

I think it depends on what type of movement order you give it, the one that makes them travel mostly along roads is fine. God help if you if you to use tanks in deep snow though.

You're asking the wrong guy, sorry
I'll bump this thread though just for you

What backwater nation are you even playing as, user?

It happens to me just by driving near trenches. They just path right on through without trying to dodge them. Mostly with SPG's and lighter vehicles. In villages, sometimes they'll hit a fence weird, and disable their engines too (particularly bad offenders are halftracks).

It is partially my own fault I guess - if I didn't want them to get bogged, I should leave them on the road.

I still love the game regardless, it's usually more amusing than anything, & if it's a critical vehicle that dies to cheese like that, I just reset the mission.

Somebody play Combat Mission with me

kind of. there's a megamod out there that theoretically is supposed to allow you to "link" all the scenarios together, meaning that you could start pre-WW1 and end up in the fifties or sixties or whenever the game is hard-programmed to end. in practice, i never ever got it to work - as Germany either i "failed" WW1 even though i captured 95% of France and had made peace with Great Britain, or the other time I tried I won WW1, then when WW2 started I immediately lost because I had an alliance with the US and technically won WW2 against myself

To make autistic WWII games you just need to look at the great things many genius minds designed. If you want to make autistic sci fi to the same level you'd have to match all those genius minds yourself to design something new. It's not possible.

It's possible to craft a sci-fi universe with a set of rules and have all the creations therein adhere to those rules. Everyone is just too goddamned lazy because gaming is a trash industry populated by the creators who failed in other industries.

That Darthmod guy is a jerk. Every time I see something from him it's him flying off the handle over the slightest criticism or even perceived criticism. Won't be buying anything from him.

I've looked for this before and no one sells it. I've got the original American Conquest and it's follow up Fight Back, but not Divided Nation.

Yeah thats a common problem outside physical copies from amazon
theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/american-conquest-divided-nation/ should hopefully still work

I think they would, maybe not that particular game, but for a good price they would.

jej

I just remembered that they somehow made the user interface worse in Mius Front than it was in Operation Star. How the fuck am I supposed to plan anything with this piece of shit UI in the strategic map? It says that unit has 100% ammunition, while in reality it would has 25 to 35% ammunition available. And just to make matters worse, you have to check every single unit individually in the unit roster to make sure that it's combat effective. I don't think I ever had this issue of not being aware of unit strength/supply situation before going into battle in Operation Star. It's like I'm chairman Mao and I'm being told that country is producing so much grain that no one knows what to do with it when in fact millions are starving to death and cases of cannibalism are uncounted.

no

The Great Campaign mod mentioned by has the problem that it can't handle alternative history scenarios, if the ccentral powers don't lose and russia doesn't turn soviet it shits the bed.
There is the New World Order 2 mod, also part of The Great Campaign mod, which extends the game past 1945 until 1990.
If I recall correctly it starts in 1936 though instead of using DH's '33 start, on the other hand starting in 1933 as Germany is mostly useful if you want to turn commie if you go with Hitler it won't have much of an effect.

Apparently NWO2 has multiple WW2 surrender events
I never played that far so I can't say what they do and how they play out.

If this one doesn't work I can offer you a magnet link:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:c509ddffae25f2302571643171100eaaf82f7688&dn=American%20Conquest%20Divided%20Nation%20-%20RELOADED.zip

Bumping. More people need wargames in their lives.

I fell a bit retarded right now for giving a magnet instead of uploading it
mega.nz/#!x6BTybhT!SB_tMI9QbqbUKoTu51hqFFuEl936MS1iMvAaB1GDMtM

Just look at this shit. How the fuck am I supposed to know which units are combat effective and which units are not? Do they expect me to individually check every single unit in the map, compare it to shit in unit roster, and repeat that process every single turn in order to find out what their status is? Do they absolutely hate the very thought of being able to tell with a glance what part of the front line is about to break?

Does Mount and Blade count as a wargame?

Can't you just hover over icon of unit and check their status?

Yes, you can do just that.

Nope. It's not autistic enough.

You wouldn't be having these problems if you would just play combat mission with me.

Pretty sure it was comparable in Operation Star too, in that regard. Haven't played Mius Front - does it have this same menu set in picture two? I used to use that one a ton for management. The only one I had screens of was the awards tab, but you could get a general break-down of ammo and manpower / potential reinforcing units from here. You could also see how many of what type of unit, your particular unit had killed or wounded over both the last battle, and course of the campaign. It was pretty decent once you got a hold of it.

Does Mius Front have awards still? I used to love that shit.

Wrong ID kiddo, that was my first post. Also I tried combat mission once and didn't know what I was doing. I'll get back to it one day.

It has a similar one for management

Lads, for someone who wants to get into this style of Wargame, what would be the best one to start with?

I've considered War in the East, but it looks like it may be too much initially (not to say complexity is bad at all, though). I just want to ease in without getting overwhelmed.

I'm well aware that HOI4 is a much simplified version of all prior (watching a video or two, it looked quite boring honestly, "click 3 big arrows north/south/centre, watch USSR fall", etc), so am definitely not interested in that - but for the earlier ones, would I be better with HOI3, Darkest Hour, or just biting the bullet, and getting WitE?

I just want to be able to micromanage the invasion of France, take steps towards organising that battle of the Atlantic, or manage the Soviet conquest of Manchuria - things like that. Complexity is good and sought after, but I'd be totally new to this style of game.

I know defending HoI4 is haram, but Paradox games have always had issues with AI difficulty. If you play HoI4 against the AI enough to get the hang of it, then jump into big 10+ player MP games, you can have a lot of fun. Can't use those battle orders against someone who knows what they're doing. I've had back and forths on the Ostfront, fortress UK scenarios, wars across the Atlantic in both directions after the USSR has fallen and more. The simplicity of the game in comparison to the earlier games doesn't matter when you have a human on the other side instead of Paradox's retarded AI.

What I would have liked to have is a small numbers next or below the unit card that would show unit name, strenght in manpower, strenght in heavy weapons, fatigue and ammunition condition.

Sure, it might get bit cluttered, but there is a zoom function so it shouldn't become a problem.

It doesn't matter how good the game is with others when 95% of the playerbase plays it solo. It's made even worse since Paradox and Johan balance around multiplayer.

They could have left it alone and let someone mod it like with Vicky. It's just an excuse for DLC "improvements."

Anyone played John Tiller's Squad Battles series?

Accidentally rammed two German battlecruisers with my new battleships thanks to shitty weather. Everything turned out ok, though.

I want IS to die lads. This shit should not be happening. I want them to give us a new Advance Wars just so I can play online. Doesn't matter if it's a rehash/has waifufaggotry in it, I'm tired of the predictable AI in all of the AW games. IS you slant eyed kikes please deliver.

DOI is nearly complete garbage with all the arbitrary limitiations they put into the game.

This would quite literally make my year. I would buy whatever stupid hardware Nintendo puts it on so long as a new Advance Wars game comes out. That game was my childhood. Pity my DS broke a few years back.

Playing as the Britbongs?

That's highly likely, the game's engine was actually originally designed for a tank sim hence the autistic levels of detail for armoured vehicles.

Only if you play autism-mods like Brytenwalda.

Austria. Just finished the game, found that the US never got into a single war.

I hate night fights.

Playing as Portugal for a change, it was one of the most interesting games of Kaiserreich I've had so far.

Helped the Carlists by declaring war on the Kingdom of Spain, took some territories, succesfully demanded Galicia from the Carlists after 3 tries (it had 50% chance). Then, after the syndies and the Kingdom were dealt with, the Carlists had the mediterranean bloc event, and Italy accepted.

The Franco-German war started in 1937, and the French managed to push as far as Wilhelmshaven-Munich, then Germany asked Austria (whose Ausgleich maintained the status quo) for help, then Bulgaria and the Ottomans joined as well.

They pushed the french back to the original border, but at the same time Russia declared war on Germany, but they couldn't advance for some years because the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth blocked their way. At that time I decided to declare war on the Commune of France and the italians quickly annexed southern Italy and managed to hold their ground against the French, while the Carlists managed to push as far as Brittany. After Germany annexed the French, the Carlists proposed to give their French territory to the Kingdom (now Empire) of France if they would join our alliance, which they did.

Russia then annexed the Ottomans and Bulgaria, released Iraq, Syria and Turkey, declared war on the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth and liberated all of the german sphere, except France because I declared war on Germany just in time to secure it, although they managed to take a few Belgian provinces making the border ugly as shit.

I cheated to fix an annexation problem. When Germany annexed the CoF, they kept Avignon, surrounded by Italian and Spanish provinces with no connection whatsoever to the rest of their conquered territory.

>(((USA))) being isolationist fucks
Nothing to see here then.

I am looking for a good HoI II type game that focuses on WWI instead of WWII, with all the logistical and industrial management that entails.

Whoops, meant HOI III.

We really need a new one. Offtopic fag bash pic.

Send help.

Interestingly enough you just ran into one of the things the Germans learned rather painfully on their retreat from Russia in WWII. The Russians would, either due to logistical shortages or out of strategical intellect, launch small attacks at first, and have their own retreating units questioned about where the enemy defenses were, and what kind of reeinforcements could possibly be used against a larger attack. So if the attacking Russians got mowed down by 4 machine guns and their vehicles were destroyed by an AT gun in the area the next assault could plan around that, and either move around the threats, or take them out before battle (using snipers and/or airstrikes and/or artillery).
The Germans realized this quickly, and set up the rule of the "Schweigewaffe". Basically the more important a weapon is, the longer it will have to wait to fire. If a tiny enemy force is attacking, and you think you can take them out without breaking out the big guns (and revealing their position), you just don't break out the big guns.
Of course this strategy comes with the drawback of never being able to easily ward off an enemy attack, since you will always want to use the bare minimum of assets necessary to defend and hold on.
However: this method not only prevents the enemy from reconing your forces with a light attack, it also preserves ammo, another thing the Germans noticed and immediately thought of as a positive.

I wouldn't doubt it. In Operation Star, I swear I'd get engine break-downs in halftracks often, without cause.

every single time

That feel when have been reading / viewing media related to the great wat recently. Shit's fucked on so many levels.

Obviously.

Read "Storm of Steel"
Its top tier book

I'm looking for a game that's as autistic as any of these RTS ones, but has something like a sandbox mode or a map editor. Is there anything like that?

What game user?

Is that a Spandau?

Looks like Graviteam Tactics.

I feel that a game closer to what you want would be HoI4. Unlike its prequel, there is much more freedom to manipulate the outcome of the war and you can pretty much do with a country as you wish, from turning the soviet union into the fascist russian empire to using a minor country to become a force to be reckoned with, the world map is practically a canvas to do whatever you want.

Bear in mind, though, that it's also very dumbed down in comparison to HoI3, certain things are nice like the production lines and the construccion no longer taking research slots, but everything else, like someone pointed out in the paradox forums once, is basically mana bars and mana points, in which whoever has the green mana bar higher wins every single time in any fight, and important political choices being dependant on how much political mana you have.

How much replay value does Graviteam have?
Is it just a couple campaigns or is there some sort of skirmish mode or even MP?

There is a custom battle mode where you can choose all the settings like weather and time of day and such.

The Russians won't be looking for them at the bottom of a river.

I've only got Operation Star but when I give them the correct command to travel by road at night they turn on their headlights.

Darkest Hour is a much better game than either of those options.

Fucktons if you get the expansions though they're individually quite expensive.

pastebin.com/TwMLZQ6h

Has all the ones except Krasnaya Polyana. For some reason the link for that one is broken. You can install them onto your steam copy of the game with zero issues. I ended up buying Krasnaya Polyana - it's a fun campaign. All together though, they're definitely quite expensive.

I tried it. Those games were both incredibly boring and unfun. I'm talking something RTS-like, like the Graviteam (Haven't played, only looked). games.

I just noticed that I'm in the 1940s in two different games and in both of them, every war that has been fought has been by me. Do AIs just not fight among themselves?

Graviteam is RTT user, not RTS. Maybe look into Combat Mission or Men of War (get the original, not Assault Squad, for single player) though neither is quite comparable.

I believe that is the case, one of the things that's getting fixed in RTW2.

I don't like wargames so I won't be discussing them, but I will be using this thread.

What have you guys been up to lately?

Playan wargames.

I've never looked forward to a game more.

This isn't at all like it was in my pre-Maoist Chinese theater plays.

i hate mowas2
anyone want to play mowas2 with me?

There are few things more handsome than a German rifle squad engaging the enemy.

Ambushing tanks is always rather fun. Too bad combat mission games are so awfully expensive in comparison to what little content you get in return. Devs are kikes basically.

Command Ops 2 is similar to CMANO. It's an operational level wargame.

Yeah, wish there was a damn torrent for it though, can never ever find one because almost no one plays it. Shame

At least you can download base game with 3 scenarios for free from their webpage or from Steam.

Really, meh, I was able to find a shady torrent long ago but nothing since

I think one of the three free scenarios is Greyhound Dash. That's the best scenario in the entire game in my opinion and I've played all of them. Playing Greyhound Dash as Germans is an incredible challenge.

If you don't like Greyhound Dash then you won't like this game. As Germans it's a battle that slowly builds up into an all out brawl and time is not on your side. You have a panzer corp that consists of a panzer division and a mechanised infantry division. The Americans have two full tank divisions.

I know the scenario, was just saying. It's a shame more games like it aren't popular. I hate hex based games and turned based stuff, love real time and open movement wargames because it allows more flexibility and strategy

I can upload some scenarios. I'll upload one and you tell me if it works with th base game?

Oh ok, you don't have to do that though. Just wish there was more games like Command Ops because I love the style of it

my.mixtape.moe/sbxzkd.rar
Download that and drop the folder in the rar inside the scenarios folder. Let me know if they play

Oh wow thanks! You didn't have to do that though

I tried it out myself. To get the scenarios to run you need the map files too or they won't run. But all the map files are 1 GB. The map files names aren't the same as the scenario names. The filenames are named for the location so it's a problem for me to send them.

American rifle squad is annihilated by the firepower of a German rifle platoon facing one direction.

A friendly reminder to gain fire superiority before moving to somewhere dangerous.

Ah ok, was wondering why they didn't work, thanks anyways though

Always lovely to see. How's the rest of the world doing?

You literally can't go wrong with War in the East.

Is there a link to the latest HoI3 Black Ice out there? The one in /gsg/'s archive is outdated and everywhere else is too cucked to host it without paradox's permission.

Very quiet, as one might expect. In a few months, Hitler should be invading Poland. And I expect several nations (like Romania) to join the Axis since I have spies shooting up Soviet threat levels.

Operations in China are bogging down due to terrain and poor infrastructure. I'm starting to get significant supply issues as we push into the jungles and mountains of southern China.

Just make an account on the paradox forums and you'll have access to HoI3 mods, since they consider it to be a legacy game now.

Well you learn something new every day, eh? Thanks for the light spoonfeed.

That's what incessant marine invasions of the coastal cities are for, my man. Are you planning to go north?

Yeah, I'm recalling the 3 marine divisions that I used to spearhead the attacks on Qingdao, Shanghai and Guangzhou so I can secure the southern Chinese coast. I also have 2 extra marine divisions in training.

I've also come to appreciate air power more. Guangzhou would not have been taken had my planes not been making sorties with 100 - 200 kills each.

I'm curious, how many hours did it take for you to git gud at Hearts of Iron 3?

I got gud at HoI3 when I forced myself to play it for a week as Japan. I learned all the mechanics by brute force. WW2 ended in a 1949 Axis victory in that playthrough. In my second, it ended in 1945 with the most beautiful battleplans I've ever drawn.

I'd love to, but going Northern Road in HoI3 is ridiculously boring owing to the half-assed provinces.

Oh man, I had a feeling you were that user. Those battleplans were a special kind of wonderful autism. When you aren't playing Japan, what do you prefer? Italy? Germoneys? One of the Axis minors? Burgers or Britain, maybe?

Those are some sexy ass battleplans but besides being sexy, is there actually any use in them?

O-oh, you recognize me?

Mostly I play as Japan because I am a massive weeaboo, but I've played Germany and Italy a few times. I played the USSR once. I haven't touched any of the Allied powers.

They help a lot with the coordination of your units once the operation finally begins. Good planning and therefore better unit cooperation allowed me to mimic the IRL Japanese timetable and conquer SEA in the period of Dec. 1941 - Apr. 1942. Australia also fell within 2 weeks as the result of multiple simultaneous amphibious invasions into its important coastal cities.

Jesus fucking Christ the 4th picture looks beautiful, I've only ever used the battleplans once in Victoria 2 but they don't even come close to your perfectionized autism. Truly a masterpiece.

I had a funny feeling based on the choice of Japan and the neatly done pocketing & coastal control. I'd be rather interested to see how you handle Italy. You get the occasional Japan and plenty of Germanies posting play by plays, but I don't think I've seen anyone try to whip Italy into gear & seal the med to help keep the European theater from going to hell in a handbasket. How'd some of those playthroughs go, anyways? Was the Soviet one of any interest?

Thanks user!

I've had several Italian playthroughs but I quit them fairly early on. Usually I'd stop when I hit '41. I don't remember why, though. As for the Soviet playthrough, I went through the trouble of turning the Soviet OOB into something reasonable (too many theaters, stray divisions, and army corps with only one division to command), before invading Finland. Then I read about the Rape of Berlin, got disgusted by the Red Army, and dropped the playthrough.

My most successful and complete playthroughs have always been of Germany and Japan. I think the dankest one was where I, as Japan, saved the Axis by liberating Italy from the British and helped the battered Wehrmacht finally get through Stalingrad and Moscow.

Well I mean the Japanese had the Nanking Massacre but I can understand why one would play more Japan than Russia.

Well, there's a new thing to do. Knuckle down, see what you can do with it, paint some beautiful battleplans, screencap it for us to see. Duce deserves love, too.

As much as I'd like to, right now I'm getting into pirated Combat Mission. I'm looking for new opponents. Maybe you'd like to play with me?

The problem with Italy is that you do tend to get locked in pretty quick in terms of your objectives and it's easy to get them all done well before '42

Why do they do this?

Never before now, has a developer convinced me to pirate their full game. This level of jewry is just so severe though.

Somebody play Combat Mission with me aaahhh

Does anybody here have experience with John Tiller's games?

isn't combat mission SP only?

No, there's multiplayer too. Most of the screenshots I posted are from MP games.

Good to see even the AI can get their vehicles stuck.

How does the MP work?
where can i pirate the game?

Flamethrowers are magical things.

100% agree.

I just wish the units weren't so flimsy. One guy gets shot, and it's eviscerated. In most situations, compared to standard infantry, I think they're more for show than anything, really. Maybe I just need to get better with them.

What is the range of units in graviteam etc.?
I hate how in modern RTS games units have a range of like 10m.

However far units see. Ofcourse, there do seem to be some hard coded limits, so for example officers won't try to kill some enemy infantry at 500 meters with their pistols. Defensive battles in particular seem to be all about managing who sees what and when.

Real-time or turn-based wego.

The former is only for people who have time and great internet connections. The latter is usually how people play. Both players submit their turns, then the game processes 1 minute of real-time actions.

You can pirate CM: Battle for Normandy at your favorite pirate site. As for Red Thunder, I will only give it to you if you agree to be my opponent.

gibs me dat game

September and October 1939 were two months of nonstop offensives - offensives in the wastes of Northwest China; into the mountainous jungles of South China; amphibious invasions along the Chinese coast and the formation of the Fifth Chinese Area Army in Guangzhou with the reassignment of the Third Army after their victory over the Communist Chinese. They are also making an offensive, towards the north.

Constant encirclements and liquefaction of those encircled pockets have left the Chinese military without a backbone to stand on. Their best units are either killed or captured and they are trying but failing to make do with various militia. So despite supply troubles we are making good progress - or as much as the terrain would allow us.

The IJA Air Service has swelled; its light bomber force has doubled in size and every day they inflict 1,000 casualties upon the enemy. The IJN boasts a new carrier and excellent new models of carrier aircraft. SMG distribution is rising among infantry units and a new semi-automatic rifle has been put into service. The IJA now has five motorized infantry divisions (with supporting light tanks) and the IJN also has two new armor-supported SNLF divisions. One of them has been earmarked for the invasion of Hainan island.

In short, it is a good day to be an Imperial Headquarters staffman.

I'm very curious as to what the flavor name & image is for this in Black Ice. Is it a Pedersen clone/license production? Something indigenous to the Home Islands?

Is that BlackICE? Are the specific air bombing casualties part of that mod or am I just retarded and have been missing something for years? I never knew where to find casualties inflicted by planes.

here are some screenshots

is this graviteam tactics?

yeah, operation star

second and third picture is ebin imo. i had retreated all the forces back into the town since most everyone had no ammo left after the german assault and the ones that still had ammo were desperately low. i couldn't withdraw my ZiS-3's (who still had ammo) fast enough though, so they held their position and fired at almost point blank range alongside a machine gunner team (with barely any ammo) from about 4 companies worth of germans until a ceasefire could be called. all of them managed to survive

I'm playing Black Ice with the Total War submod, which makes it about twice more autistic. There's a generic progression of technology (e.g. Semi-automatic rifle model 1918 -> 1935 -> 1941) but if you're playing as a major power, then at certain milestones there will be an event asking you whether to put a historical model of weapon into production, which will give bonuses different to the generic model.

In the message settings, go to Combat and set "whenever our planes finish a ground attack" to pop up. The pop-up will tell you how much physical damage they've caused in number of soldiers killed.

I don't remember much about graviteam, but even though I play mostly simulators and seriously complicated games, this game always frustrated me for whatever reason and I never got a grasp of it before getting mad and stopping, felt like I could never get units to do what I wanted them to and was just passively watching them get slaughtered, maybe I'll give it another shot.

You know Graviteam would really benefit from an ability to simply rewatch a battle in real time after it ends with the GUI turned off. It's a surprisingly cinematic game in its own way.

I always found that the more micro I did, the worse my units performed.

It's only really worth micromanaging tanks in that game. Fussing about infantry just leads to frustration.

Definitely #1 thing I'd like too.

Just being able to re-watch the fight without worrying about commanding, it'd be nice.

The offensives continue in November 1939 with the IJA being simply an unstoppable juggernaut. The Jiangmen pocket is liquefied after nearly two months of brutal jungle fighting that would have been far harder without air superiority. Over 30,000 elite Chinese troops surrender, broken after nonstop bombing, disease and starvation.

The Chinese have dug into their southeast mountains in strong defensive positions. This would be a problem if the core of their army was still intact. However, concentrated and determined air and land assaults are sweeping the weakened enemy away. Their situation is about to become worse, however - as with elements of the Third and Fifth Area Armies meeting at the province of Lining, we have just completed our grandest encirclement yet. Even Generalissimo Chiang himself is trapped.

Victory is assured.

stop bullying china. it cant take much more

Where did combat mission user go? I'll play with you.

How is it that nobody has caught up to WW2 online? A game that came out when everyone was on dialup.

What do you mean? WW2 online was popular as hell back in the days but it didn't age very well. I mean I have fond memories of it and it was fun as hell and epic as fuck with massive battles, but they lagged behind too much on the visuals and controls as time went on so everyone got bored and left and then the death final came when they reverted to F2P. Game did it's time well but everything eventually has to come to an end man

THIS LEVEL OF JEWRY

HOW IS THIS REAL

And to think, I was seriously considering giving them money.

Don't forget that it looks and runs like complete shit and they don't even bother putting those games on sale.

CM user is also HoI3 user. My Discord is Def #1801. Please. I need you.

At least as Germany, all of your tanks can shoot at ranges where they can't realistically hope to penetrate T-34s (light tanks might be another story.) I just finished a Fall Blau operation and my long barreled Panzer IIIs could reliably hit things at 1km and if it was daytime and they had a clear line of fire they would try and hit things even farther away. That said, T-34s truly do not care if you are plinking at them from a km out with a 50mm. My IGs provided direct fire out to 1.5km at the longest, but they were pretty lethal at that range and I don't know how much farther they could have gone.
Seriously, fuck T-34s.

Are T-34s simulated as being blind, deaf retards who can't shoot their way out of a wet paper bag, especially the 76mm ones, or do they get to plink back as if there's nothing wrong with having a two man turret with no cupola and garbage quality periscopes & sights with lots of center field clutter? Because if the latter is the case I can understand your anguish. Otherwise, just get closer and ding them in the side hull or turret.

By a narrow majority, early war T-34 kills were largely attributed to the long 50mm gun in spite of every deficiency and every on paper advantage of the T-34 because they couldn't acquire targets, hit them once acquired, or communicate where those targets were to the other T-34s. So the Panzer IIIs would just close to knife fighting range and unceremoniously murder them while running circles around the ruskies. If you're engaging in a hopeless 1km gunnery duel with them where they might actually have a chance to get eyes on you and lay in a miracle shot- assuming Graviteam gives you enough control to redirect units mid combat- you're doing it wrong.

How'd your Fall Blau go, anyways? Did you manage to get Stalingrad and the delicious Baku oil fields? Does Graviteam have any kind of grand campaign where such a thing would matter, or is it all self contained, 'here's your self contained historical scenario, now do it better of fuck up royal' sorts of things?

They're definitely less accurate and have worse target acquisition than panzers. Both sides' tank crews are also perfectly willing to bail out of working tanks, which tends to work towards Germany's favor as a panzer crew that bails out because they got slapped by a 76mm can return, while a T-34 crew that bails because they're under concentrated 50mm fire will probably get machine gunned to death. The AI also isn't great at large scale decision making, those T-34s just smashed through my front line and were barreling through my rear, but they ended up driving down towards a river crossing and milling around at it, exchanging fire with my infantry on the far side. My panzer IIIs finally caught up with them and got to fire on them from behind and above. Still lost around equal numbers, but I was able to repair and recrew my abandoned tanks more often than they were.
Graviteam campaigns (operations) are much more small scale than that. The Dawn of Blau operation I thought I was talking about covers the very opening of Blau, and mostly involves German forces attempting to cut off and encircle Soviet units. I was actually playing Drive on Voronezh which covers the advance on the outskirts of Voronezh. The maps are around 2 dozen square kilometers all rendered 1:1 on the battle map, but as a result we're talking about relatively small engagements. Most of the time you have assets equivalent to 2 or 3 battalions, spread across a 5 kilometer or so front.

Didn't mean to post that, so sorry for the double post.
You're given an objective, and the operation is scored at the end using victory points corresponding to certain points on the map, but for the most part if you understand what the goal is, working towards it will get you victory points. This is almost the end of my Voronezh campaign, total victory. Orders were to advance to Shilovo and set up defensive positions along the river. There was a strong Soviet armored counterattack from the north that the battle screenshots are mostly taken from. By turn 8 of 13 I was forcing crossings to the eastern side of the river and the last few turns were cleaning out pockets on the edge of the map. You also get historical context each turn so you can know how you're doing comparatively.

The granular-tier 1:1 scale seems very novel, although the lack of possible interscenario continuity is mildly disappointing. How'd you do compared to the historical result, then? I assume those little blurbs in screenshot 2 are the historical comparative parts.

Better, the operation ended historically with the Germans holding the west bank of the river and their north flank still threatened by armor. I pushed the armor off the map (admittedly if they had more room to maneuver I would have had more problems) and forded the river in multiple places. Intermixed with that were counterattacks by Soviet infantry against entrenched guns on my riverbank. With the armor pushed off I was able to sweep my armor along the line and finish the campaign with every square under my control. Everything was routine with one exception; I drove some tanks over some occupied trenches and lost a couple PIVs, which was pretty embarrassing. The early battles were intense as well, heavy infantry engagements and lots of artillery on both sides, but I fought those about a week ago and I don't have any screenshots of them.

Yeah, the blurbs are the historical comparison, but some turns they also have a map that looks more like a real battle map displayed at the beginning, showing offensives or other important things. Though if you're diverging significantly they're pretty useless, I had maps describing battles for Shilovo several turns after I had taken it.

Do units spot only for them selfes or can others help with target acquisition?

Units rely on several different methods of communications and a defined chain of command to share information. For instance, a gun battery might consist of 3 light infantry guns, they'd have a battery commander, and if he's in 100 meters of them then he can give orders to them verbally. He in turn would be linked to the commander of the artillery company by wire or radio. That commander in turn would be linked into the command net, you could set the entire platoon to AI control and that command net will target the guns for you (pretty well,) or you could give them manual orders, and the more of those links that exist the less those orders 'cost' you, down to a negligible amount if you have them properly integrated. A gun with no link to a net can still fire at things it can see, and theoretically you can issue it orders, but if you do you probably can't issue another order for 30 seconds or more.
Here I have a gun selected, and you can see at the bottom of the screen the formation it is a part of, its battery leader is directly to the left, to the left of him is a telephone runner team, and then the company(?) commander. The battery leader isn't in the screenshot, but he's probably 20 meters or so behind the camera.

Also, the one and only time I have seen tigers in Mius Front, when I used them in a custom battle.

Also, orders cost less if they are issued to entire units at once, so you're highly incentivized to issue fire missions to batteries rather than individual targets to different guns. Valuable tanks might be worth more micro, and thankfully German tanks all have radios so they're very easy to talk to.

HEY ONII-CHANS LET'S PLA-

my entire assault - ruined

What is the best graviteam game to get started on?

Performance + better controls:
Mius-Front
More campaigns and less steep difficulty curve:
Shilovo 1942

I started on Mius Front and first played the Saur-Mogila tumulus campaign, and I thought it was pretty easy. The map is good since the defending Germans have large slopes before entry to the town, and in front of them is a forested gully before stretching out into far open fields making it easy to pick off incoming attackers.

is mius front worth a buy? does it have MP?

Its only worth a buy because the pirated version hasn't been updated since I think march or may of 2016. Prepare to dish out more bux for campaigns, since they're sold as DLC's.

No multiplayer.

I would probably pirate Operation Star/Shilovo just to see if you even like the game first. I'm pretty sure they've stopped developing OS.

fucking hell that's a lot for a game without MP and DLC campaigns, what gives?

Just wait for sale. Operation Star goes frequently on -80/85% sale.

Do any of the gravigames have MP?

its a sim with dynamic campaign and no multiplayer. also those are two separate games and you only really need one. do you like african desert or snow better?

Both are okay however i heard mius front improved the ui substantially

no

I actually have Krasnaya Polyana. I can't really remember how I managed to get it though.

Actually, try this. From the CsRinRu thread

mediafire.com/file/hw8narvwlqez7m3/GTOS kr_pol_eng.7z

Huh thanks, I really should get back into graviteam tactics

I CATCH A HUNDRED OF THESE FUCKERS EVERY GODDAMN MONTH TRYING TO TURN EVERYONE INTO A PATERNAL AUTOCRAT AND GIVING ME RESEARCH MALUSES!

GET OUT!

Welcome to fascist Italy. Incompetent conservatives are going to hamstring you forever. Even more than Japan or Germany.

Speaking of WW2 online looks like it's coming to steam store.steampowered.com/app/251950/World_War_II_Online/

Hopefully the Steam release will mean that it'll no longer be a 5v5 borefest.

It's going to be subscription based so I doubt playerbase will be big.

Heh well shit. I still doubt it'll draw much attention unless they made some major improvements

Any other lads want to play combat mission?

life is truly suffering

its amazing to me that besieged Leningrad looks not that different from an average spring day in some nondescript city in Russia. im almost convinced that those that talk about how communism was never really tried before are right in a way, because Russia is a complete shithole filled with Russians. fails at serfdom, fails at communism, fails at capitalism. only thing Russia doesn't fail at is being twin brother to Mordor.

That was a beautiful operation, user.

What do you guys know about the next operation that Graviteam are making? I heard stuff about it being really large, and probably set in the far east with Soviets and Japan.

I wish they'd do the American Pacific campaign.

I looked through their steam database stuff for Mius front a few weeks back. They had one called "final assault" or something, mentioned recently. I can't imagine they'd go Japanese/Soviet, with that name. I mean, I guess they could - but it'd be more of a war-crime than a battle simulator. I don't think the Japanese had anything (in number) remotely competent at killing T-34's, let alone anything heavier the Russians could've fielded. It'd be amusing, but I'd feel bad for the Japs.

I know they had a cancelled (?) Khalkhin Gol one for Operation Star (?).

I'd love to see a Sino-Japanese one, honestly - or even a late-war Eastern Front one.

welp. i just wanted to know if i like the game or not.
too bad demos arent a thing anymore.

Where did you download from?

Might be something from Cold War. They posted a picture of 9K32 Strela-2 on steam forums some time back.

I think it was/is supposed to be a completely new game. There's an entry on steamdb named Graviteam Tactics: Nomonhan. I'm not sure if they work on it though.

gazellegames, skidrow release

Try the one on the CsRinRu thread, I think there is an alternative Skidrow release there. Also there's a CODEX release somewhere. Check rutracker as well.

Was the one you downloaded the Dawn of Blau release? Graviteam.Tactics.Mius-Front.Dawn.of.Blau-SKIDROW?

That's the one I'm using right now and it works just fine. Double check everything and make sure crack contents are in the right places.

345b3fa1757609cbc2ff517014c3d7b1206bf8b8

there were no specific instructions for the crack so i dumped it into the main folder where it overwrote something.
anything special? how does yours look?

It came as just an .iso file. I mounted it, ran the setup then copied over the crack contents to the game directory.

my dir looks exactly the same but it never even attempts to start after i click the starter_x64

I think there was a problem with some of the previous releases of Mius Front where it wouldn't actually open but it would start like 2-3 starter_x64 processes, so check that. You had to use some third party Steam Emulation shit to get around it.

Here are my files. This includes the starter_x64.exe, steam_api64.dll, steam_api64.cfg and steam_appid.
uploadfiles.io/9t132

I also still have the iso mounted to a virtual drive as well.

Always good for a laugh.

Show us the unit composition user

Anyone know if this is a meme unit, or should I take it seriously? Never used it before, but I'm getting the impression it's a meme unit. It has frag rounds, so maybe not entirely useless.

From Wikipedia, just to emphasize the known virtues available without consulting any literature proper,

Per the article text, at 100 meters, it will guaranteedly penetrate 75mm of steel with its squeeze bore APCNR. More pertinently, at 60 degrees from horizontal at the same range- note that's from horizontal, not vertical, so KV-1 constructional angle rather than T-34- it still penetrates up to 69mm of steel in two separate sources, meaning it won't do too bad against obnoxious slopey-dope Soviet tanks in spite of using only APCNR. It also happens to only have 500 meters of range, meaning it's a knife fighter meant to be used from ambush ideally. Still, at that maximum range, it retains 40 to 52mm of penetration against 60-from-horizontal armor, which seems rather nice for a pocket gun. At close range, the PaK 36 is comparable, but at 500 meters, the PaK 36 only has 31mm of penetration against a 60-from-horizontal plate.

The ingame stats might differ, but what you have there is a doorknocker sized gun that will murder anything up to the T-34 and KV in extremely short order if it can ding flat armor and turrets & sides, because it fires at the speed of an AT rifle while also being more powerful by a comfortable margin than the 3.7cm PaK 36 and smaller & more concealable, even if behind armor effect is lacking. Its fragmentation round is more or less garbage at actually splashing infantry, but I imagine it's wonderful for turning halftracks into spalled out deathboxes.

In the case of the T-34, I think you might actually be able to pen it if you hit the flatish pseudo-lower glacis where the front meets the floorplate and definitely if hitting the turret or side, and in the case of both it and the KV-1 I'm sure the 2.8cm'll be capable of incessantly mobility killing them, assuming Graviteam allows for that kind of specific targeting through orders rather than happening purely by accident. It might even have some chance to pen the flat front of the latter at very close range.

tl;dr it's a (probably) short ranged doorknocker that punches a bit above its weight class and at further reach than its equivalents with a tungsten slinging squeeze-bore and no doubt has a very handy fire rate. Use it to murder light tanks & halftracks and to blindside heavier vehicles, as a supplement to heavier anti-tank weaponry or a means to give light mobile forces some bite if they absolutely have to bog down and set up a defensive line. Don't depend on it as a main line of defense in a sector with armored forces proper, it's a weapon of supplement, opportunity or desperation.

Interesting. Yeah, I tried their frag rounds, and it didn't seem even remotely as effective as the Pak-38 HE, and definitely no-where near the LeIG-18's I have.

They sound like the type of thing to hide in a forest until a tank blunders on in there. My primary adversary are T-34's, and my own armor is in short supply - so assuming these can kill - they might be nice to have. Gonna mix them in with my Pak-38's on the front, instead of keeping them back.

I'd assumed they were some sort of downsized Pak-38, not a unique platform.

Generally, it's on accident. The player just directs aim at the vehicle itself, not specific components - though I'm sure I've noticed stub-nose Soviet howitzers focus fire towards tracks - maybe I'm imagining things.

Ever played cossacks? its the predecesor of AC
its the same shit but in europe so instead of redcoats and indians you have cossacks and musketeers i love the game and its one of the few games i keep getting back to again and again

Assault guns are my favorite unit in the mod. They're a third the IC/Day cost of a light tank, use half the fuel and supplies, with better stats than the light tank in everything but speed, 10% softness, can be produced in half the time, and, most importantly, have 0 combat width. They can also be upgraded from Recon Cavalry, which is completely retarded but allows you to save even more time getting them onto the field after researching them in 1939. I usually stick two Assault Gun brigades in my mainline divisions up until I start needing the penetration from Heavy AA units.

fug :DD:DDD

Yes
Cossacks is probably one of my first/my most played games
To bad that Cossacks 3(D) lacks the improvements that AC or even Cossacks 2 brought to the table

Oh hey, it's the Italanon again. How's your progress so far? Closed the med? Have the paternal autocrats stopped being fucking autists? Beside assault guns in armored/mechanized divisions, what's your procurement & army organization looking like about now? Finish those pocket battleships?

Have the 2.8cm guns proven themselves as of yet? I really am curious as to what they can do, they're rather novel.

Random question, forgive the tangent; why didn't the Germans adapt solid steel shot APCNR for some of their squeeze bore designs when it became clear they couldn't just shit tungsten rounds out all day long without running into long term supply problems? And for APCR, for that matter? Or if they did, where's the information on them? I've been feasting on this kind of minutiae of late. Trying to get a little more well read.

Tungsten is obviously the best material for kinetic penetrators in the time period, but the Brits did fine enough with solid steel shot AP. A steel core APCNR round with soft iron jacketing would've probably allowed them to keep putting squeeze bores into the field for light AT work, where the suboptimal characteristics for HE slinging don't matter quite so much, as they either won't want to bother casing the poor bloody infantry and risk exposing themselves through the additional shots necessary, or will be covered by infantry in combined arms who probably won't need too much additional anti-infantry support that infantry guns aren't already providing. It is, after all, a glorified heavy AT rifle/pocket doorknocker with an attitude. Probably wouldn't lose too much performance compared to tungsten rounds either, allowing said tungsten reserves to deplete a fair bit more slowly as they find a niche as a specialty rounds' specialty round compared to more ubiquitous solid core APCBCHE and APCBC and/or steel APCR. Additionally, in larger caliber guns- while they're not going to set off fuel, ammo and liquify the crew all at once like the APHE- they will still mulch at least one crew member and result in an abandoned tank. More in the East, where sardine can tanks reign supreme in Soviet design.

I highly doubt this lateral thinking would have saved the larger caliber squeeze bores like the PaK 41, where the low barrel life may matter a fair bit more economically & logistically than for small guns like the sPzB 41, and likewise with the penetration dropoff, but along with an earlier introduction of Gerlich/squeeze bore principal guns in general it might have let them put out a fair number more easily moveable guns that would be easier to retain during a fighting retreat (or roll on in a triumphant advance further East into miserable snow & mud) and relatively efficiently knock out the '41-'42 Soviet tank park compared to the PaK 36, which had to soldier on with either its own subpar performance with native AP & HE rounds or knock out anything with the huge Stielgranate overbore hollow charge at cost of having to use the Stielgranate, a light AT gun-sized rifle grenade with all the impracticalities that might imply for a gun team that might not want to have to leave the cover of their gun shield. At the same time, the partial substitution of tungsten composite rounds for an adequately high penetration solid and/or composite steel round(s) would've let them yet further extend the service life of all guns by letting them punch just a little more above their weight class by pinging things with APCBC first, then following up with APCBCHE on fatigued armor. Low quality steel is cheap, and explosive filler & other combustibles are maybe a bit less so, considering the German propellant crisis in the midwar.

tl;dr why didn't the Germans ever seem to experiment with solid shot that wasn't tungsten? They probably had the absolute best APCBCHE as far as balance of penetration capacity, shatter resistance & explosive effect goes, but considering they still kept tungsten core rounds around for tough targets through the entire war, you would think they might've considered steel substitutes to extend the lifespan and cheapen the supply of earlier AT guns.

What's considered the best realistic war game for combat team operations in a modern setting?

No chance as of yet to try them against armour. Picture related is the operation so far. Highlighted unit is the "tile type" that contains the 2.8cm guns.

Currently planning on taking the bridge area (defending forces are mauled after being pushed out of Shilovo), and then holding the line as is. My forces in the town are pretty beaten up too, but some full strength reinforcements have been moved in. Currently considering if it's worth making an attack on the stores to the east of Shilovo, but it might be over-extending. I don't really have the ammo to spare right now - but it'd be nice to deprive the Russians of ammo.

I'm expecting that the 2.8cm guns will get some use once the Soviets push in the north.

Yeah sure, this makes perfect fucking sense. Attacking in open terrain against armored units that have been dug in, with 1:1 manpower ratio, with ineffective anti-tank weapons.

Is Sudden Strike welcome here?
You can even get it for free with the excellent RWM mod

sudden-strike-maps.de/index.php/downloads/download/38-rwm-8-0-software/106-rwm-8-0-beta-3-release

Would be nice if we could get a MP game going

Whats the best Hearts of Iron game to get into?
Wanted to try 4 but heard that it is casualised shit

Thanks for reminding me why I don't play nigice user.

H-hirohito??

Is there a way to get only the division structures with none of the extra bullshit from this mod?

Didn't RWM ruin artillery in a later version? Did they ever patch that out?

ruin, how?

Darkest Hour would be the easiest/most comfortable to get into I suppose.
HoI3 focuses more on the wargaming aspect, which is it's main selling point while DH is more balanced

Darkest Hour, in my opinion.

If only

Alright thanks

Some of the parts needed already exist too. I could see graviteam incorporating it. The game is built off a tank-sim, so the mechanics for first person are already there.

I'd just fear for multiplayer though - I couldn't see them including controllable units without generalised multiplayer first. My experience always seems to be that games with both single and multi, ""balance"" for multi at the expense of single - even if only a minute fraction of players touch multi. It'd be nice though, if they put it in without fucking the game.

fug, just realized hours on, I replied to the wrong person.

Still, the more I think of this concept, the better it sounds. It'd be sweet as to have a pal leading the armor column, or manning a pivotal AT gun - spotting for artillery / airstrikes etc - even leading an infantry platoon (mount and blade style, while the rest of the force is controlled from above) or a halftrack. I'm imagining it'd be difficult to do though, but the potential is huge.

Well Battleground Europe/WW2 online partially does this. Some shitcunt in high-command tells other players where to attack and other players try to attack there using equipment high-command has made available.

Reminder: there can be no movement without fire.

Brothers in Arms taught me that.

What is a good ww2 grand strat game to start with?

War in the East.

Seems like those 2nd generation rapefugees went back

Enthusiast tier pricing, cus faggots like me need our grand strat and only other addicts make them. i uploaded beta versions to the share threads last year, should have paid attention there till they got pulled down fam.

ill get WITW when its cheaper, like when WITE2 comes out.

Offtopic some nigger got a bunch of ExpressVPN IPs banned on 8ch for CP spam, for fuck sake dont ruin it for the rest of us you cunts.

Is the beta version better than the current version?

Fucking enormous, but no beta patches for a while since i stopped uploading at the last release over a year and a half ago.

As an example heres a massive update from 2016

www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4022211&mpage=1&key=�

and an older one from 2015

matrixgames.com/amazon/PDF/WitE Patchnote 1.08.03.pdf

Its usually worth waiting for a beta patch as each patch fixes an enormous pile of problems depending on how big your own Barbarossa becomes.

I just pirated and saw all the beta patches plus official, wasn't sure if there was a specific version of the game better than the latest

Anyone want to play Koger's TOAW III?

ok

Holy shit I haven't seen a Blitzkrieg game in so long, reminds me of when I used to play Stalingrad and Cuban Missile Crisis: The Aftermath.

Is there like some collection edition or something?
I just saw Wiki page with like 10 different Combat Mission games.

I'm pretty sure Sudden Strike and Blitzkrieg are actually entire different game series with separate engines and everything, just coincidentally quite similar in appearance and gameplay.

Blitzkrieg was made after SS because of the success that Sudden Strike enjoyed.

I have no proper algorithms and I must scream.

Any division from a proper military can attain modifiers of over 1000% in mountainous terrain. You ought to weaken them with bombers first.

Ah, that makes more sense.

Is there a secret to using aircraft in graviteam?

I swear 9 times out of 10, my stuka's are absolutely worthless. Occasionally they'll (if they manage to somehow spot them) MG strafe a gun emplacement - but they never seem to kill much with their bombs. I do the mark thing so the spotters throw purple smoke.

AI IL-2's seem to do better, but I've never had positive experiences using them either. I think it's just that they've got more explosives to spare.

I'd like to imagine they could spot at least, but it seems like they don't do either killing or spotting particularly well.

I feel like every single stuka has their bomb sights skewed because their bombs miss every single god damned time. The best I can hope for is a bomb missing one group to hit another.

I haven't played against someone before. I think Holla Forums accepts zip and 7z files, so we can upload the files here.

Anonymous Heroics or Three Days of War look like good, short scenarios.

Bump.

PING

How bad is mowas:vietnam?

So how are your turns and/or playthroughs going, anons? Got any interesting moments to share?

Close Combat by Microsoft was easily my favorite game back in the day. God only knows how many hours I spent on my step dad's green Acer playing this game.

You just hope it hits something. Normally the stukas and IL-2s can and do kill AT guns and MG teams. I can't say I've seen them actually take out any tanks.

The game is pretty bad user, but the Vietnamese voice acting is spot on.

How would we even play MP? Since I'm NEET for the time being I'll be willing to try it out.

Just a friendly reminder to make contact with the enemy with the smallest force possible and secure good observation in order to identify enemy strongpoints which should then be suppressed and destroyed - otherwise you might be surprised by sudden J-pop.

My Discord is Def #1801 and it is usually how I facilitate contact and turn sharing with my opponents. Feel free to add me, user.

loved close combat

what the fuck

JUST

4 u
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:0c976921fb4ec023f2c751e701ed1d18a2e6521f&dn=CMBS&tr=http%3a%2f%2fbt.nnm-club.info%3a2710%2f00c3047a4f18f0fa34e5ad7da17e2f47%2fannounce&tr=http%3a%2f%2fretracker.local%2fannounce.php%3fsize%3d5792614991%26comment%3dhttp%253A%252F%252Fnnmclub.to%252Fforum%252Fviewtopic.php%253Fp%253D8413241%26name%3dCombat%2bMission%2b-%2bBlack%2bSea%2b%25282015%2529%2b%255BEn%252FMulti%255D%2b%25281.03%2529%2bLicense%2bSKIDROW

Motorkanone minengeschosse caused spalling through the flat lower side armor above the tracks, perhaps? Or splashed on/near the engine deck & caused a fire? Graviteam is built on a tank sim engine, so it's possible. It has an inspector function for AFV damage, doesn't it? Check over the damage if you can.

I sent a request

I forgot to mention this a while, but you should try out Scourge of war: Gettysburg

war is hell

Looking at it afterwards, it had hits there. bit also a flanking Pak-40 hit. Not sure which one finished it - but they both looked nasty.

I had a number of tanks hull-down over a railway crossing as well as a few guns, so they were under a fair bit of fire.

It was kind of an imbalanced custom battle - terrain was very strong for defense, considering the power allocated to each side. Probably should've given the Russians an extra company (or two) of tanks - I did have ~4 tigers.

I really wish graviteam had a replay feature though.

How many tanks did you lose?

From memory, 2 Panzer 4's completely destroyed, one evacuated on engine kill, one retreated due to main gun/turret getting knocked out, and another immobilized and somehow still firing with a two man crew. Pretty sure the tigers remained largely untouched.

I lost a few Sd. Kfz 231's too, scouting for enemy locations on the flanks. I love them when I can get them to work, but they're such fragile things.

Earlier in the thread, someone asked how the 2.8cm AT guns in graviteam are.

They were getting penetrations until the T-34 closed and began machine-gunning two of them - the third is getting prime shots with quite a few penetrations, but no kill. I think this T-34 is just some sort of god vehicle though. Three Panzer 3's from short distance pinging away, still no kill. It just refuses death.

Currently sending engineers to satchel it. Going to be interesting to see the after battle statistics on it.

Well, they eventually gave up. Unsure if the killing blow was the satchel, or just pure volume of fire. The tank is absolutely fucked.

It looks like the 2.8 tracked it and got a few non damaging penetrations, but the majority of the heavy damage came from the close range Panzer 3's.

First is with all hits shown, second, with only damaging hits, third, penetrations that didn't cause core damage.

Cook-off was ebin. It started crackling first, then after a few seconds a lone crew man bailed on fire. Leads me to think it was the fuel hits that ended it.

I think tank was destroyed by that one 5 cm PzGr.39 hit. The one which says [*.fuel]. * should mean internal fire/explosion in Operation Star.

Neat. I'm glad to see I was more or less correct about their upper range of performance; they can technically bully a T-34 with track shots and shots through the lower glacis, but unless the tungsten penetrator can ping through something (or the knees of someone) important, it's not going to do very much. The thing that surprises me most is that the T-34 was able to accurately acquire two of the guns to start suppressing them. How'd they fare? Dead crews or just rattled?

I'd be interested to see how they perform against lighter contemporary armor, in any case. If they can threaten a T-34 under seemingly less than ideal conditions, I really want to know what they can do bullying a bunch of T-26s & T-70 coffins for two. The 2.8cm seem to have an absurd fire rate, after all, so I imagine they'd chew through the former like MGs against infantry in open fields and quickly disable the latter with turret hits. Not sure if the glacis would be anything less than bounceomatic, though.

One crew came under direct shellfire, broke, and tried to run - they were all mowed down. The other took a hit to the gun, which rendered it inoperable. Most of the crew survived.

I had a MG42 set up along-side them, in quite close proximity. The MG is what got the attention at first as it fired at the escorting infantry (my mistake, should've had it hold fire), and I guess the T-34 saw the guns from there (it was completely stripped of crew by the time the T-34 was done with it). The escorting infantry might've alerted it too, before they were removed. The surviving gun was forward in the next treeline in a pretty quiet spot, so it stayed concealed and got to open up where it did.

It is a nice little gun - I'd kind of discounted it, but for something as light as it is, it's really quite decent. I imagine it'd rip through (the crew of) T-70's or anything light like that.

Didn't realize the * indicated that, thanks for the heads up. It's nice to know.

holy shit, thank you