Nier Automata / Yoko Taro General

Just finished this game (really finished, ending E) and I want to talk about it, so Nier / Yoko Taro games general.

Other urls found in this thread:

please
archive.is/TeD5L
twitter.com/yokotaro/status/885315402183589890
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The last ending itself is pretty cool, and the entire last section changing between 9S and A2 is amazing. Also I consider it to actually be a happy ending and that's a surprise knowing Yoko Taro.

However, the rest of the game is… mediocre.

>I understand the B ending is there to see the same story with a different perspective, but it is still the same story and just rushing through it feels like a waste of time they force into you to get the actual good endings

And here comes the hate squad. Fuck off, the game is perfect.

I started by saying how I loved the ending, and I didn't even say the game was bad, just mediocre. I played like 50 hours of the game, but only like 10 of them I actually felt like having real fun. The rest went from don't care to "it's ok".

raise the difficulty level, then. The dodge button unlocks half your moveset and even then it's important to keep track of what's going on in combat.

yoko taro games "dragging on?" Gee whiz, what the fuck did you think you signed up for?

thematically it might be my favorite taro work, i hope he works with platinum again because they're were really close to nailing something down that could have made it excel in gameplay too. not to say the gameplay is bad but even on hard mode you have to gimp yourself after awhile to feel challenged, partly due to crummy enemy variery
i sorta wish there were more segments of fighting enemies like the corrupted yorha because that was fun as fuck thematically and within the gameplay

9S > all other androids

I feel so bad for everyone who genuinely likes yoko taro and his games. It must be awful to have retards, waifufags, and gays all invade your community all the while people are trying to false flag the game into being universally hated by Holla Forums.

Even after raising the difficulty at the end it all becomes spam the button until you have an opening and hit hard. All that changes is that you lose the lock on (that just makes the thing clumsier, not real difficulty) and that enemies tank and hit stronger.

I personally dislike when hard difficulties only make the battle drag longer, especially if the battle is not really that interesting in the first place. During the first hours it was fun, after a while it was tedious.

Because maybe Platinium Games manage to don't fuck up where Cavia did? I perfectly know how Yoko Taro games are and I like their story, darkness and style, that doesn't change that it has serious flaws that I want to talk about. Some people can play games without liking ALL of it by pure fanboyism.

The main plot kind of sucked except for a few sections, the sidquests were a joy, 9S a shit because hacking got old really fast, A2 a best.

have you been in a coma since mgr? You do realize taro is a director and controls the game play model and scenario more than anyone else, right?

I really do wish you retards would leave. Which platform did you play this on?

I pirated it and spent a good 6 hours doing ending E solo before learning you were supposed to have some online coop help shit for it what the fuck but still pulled it off

It's definitely a fun game, but you guys have to admit it was sold by the true masterpiece that is 2B's majestic12 ass.

Yeah it's a little annoying, but it's not like getting worked up over it will make it go away. I guess if you missed out on the initial discussion when the threads were still mostly pure it's a lot shittier.

Is there any secret boss besides the 2 emil fights and the park statue

That doesn't change the team could have decided upon a different way to handle secondary missions or backtracking. Again you are just justifying a clear flaw by saying WELL THEN DON'T PLAY THE GAME, IT'S YOKO TARO STYLE.

I don't fucking care if it's Yoko Taro style, it's still a fucking flaw and I play whatever the fuck I want.

Also PS4 version, where I got 2 crashes, one of them after fighting for like 40 minutes in the desert infinite (not sure if it's actually infinite, but I was underleveled) spawn place and losing my save.

There's like a godzilla thing in the forest I think right after you do the box there but it's less of a secret boss than just a unique enemy like the gold robots.

transport and ride animals, next

Automata is OK. I was expecting more from it.

Traps do nothing for me, but girls who get off on traps are hot as fuck.
This not an easy fetish to understand.

>"Isn't that right, Kainé?!"
>"Even if it's pointless, you still have to do it!"
>"Because this is the world my friend tried to save!"

Are the rest of the endings going to take this long?
Also, fuck the machine factory escape forever

If you do all of the sidequests, probably. Otherwise you can breeze through the rest relatively quickly.

This was basically the only major flaw that I had. Sure, some textures looked awful and hacking wasn't fun, but other than that I can't really think of anything bad to say about it.

Coincidence.

Picked up Nier on PS3 last weekend. Does anybody have that image with info on all of the quests in the game?

I'm currently running through Drakengard and its endings before starting this series.

Never played Nier, welp, heres some Miku.

Just die nigger fuck off

I guess it would sort of blend in to some kind of dom fetish?

Now that Scalebound is cancelled and Nier Automata is out and us learning Yoko Taro was actually Hideki Kamiya this whole time what will Kamiya do now

Now your going to get that user claiming that was a nod to the his claim that Yoko stole his work

anyone has a guide on optimal chip fusion? or at least it is worth it?

I have really enjoyed Revengeance with tits and ass.
10/10 made my dick hard and there's a lot of stuff to fight but the game says that the sun is fixed in the sky and it never sets (the Earth stopped spinning?) but then it doesn't explain how is that possible so i give it a 4/10, but then i remember the leotard and i really like leotards so i need to give it a 7/10 at least for ethics sake.
It was good.

More like, Nier ripoffmata.

More like get fucked lol.
It's your fault you were busy attentionwhoring instead of working on your shit.
Enjoy your suffering.

Please, don't get that copypasta autist going again.

I couldn't beat ending E because of that forced online bullshit. What was even the point of the game's story. There's literally no reason for anything that happened.

that is some intense modding autism

Shit man you couldn't be anymore transparent if you wanted to. Kys you double dirty nigger.

Also hips DO NOT equate to ass.

Let me get this straight: the machine network is only keeping the androids around for a challenge, right? They could wipe them out at any time, just like with the botched invasion.

Was it their doing, that the bunker had such shit hacking defenses? At first I thought that yorha was self destructing periodically, but it's strange how they would do so via an external invasion, and not just a self-destruct mechanism.

Transport and its fucking long loading screens don't change you have to revisit every fucking site one million times.
Riding animals doesn't change you have to revisit the same fucking shit one million times.

Learn to read.

The final point is the value of life, and even if death is always there and nihilism will fuck us all up you can always enjoy the ride and the struggle itself. Pascal reading Nietzche wasn't there just because, at the end the game just picks Nietzche reading of life and adapts it to Yoko Taro crazyness, what is a good thing. The ending saves the entire game by how good it is. Although I understand how if you don't have online it basically fucks you over

No. They literally spell it out for you by the end of the third playthrough. I'm guessing you're talking about that bit with A2 fighting the machine network AI where it's debating with itself about if keeping her alive would help them evolve. The reason YoRHa got wiped out was because a backdoor in the system was designed to be opened after YoRHa had served it's purpose of gathering data for the next generation of androids that allowed the machine network to kick their shit in. Why they would want to just dispose of YoRHa entirely instead of letting them continue to fight I can't really think of a reason other then its sadder that way.

Yes.
Machines' raison d'etre was to fight with androids, so they made sure there were always androids to fight at any point.

Kiddo, you have no idea. This is Yoko Taro's most mainstream game, it's incredibly scaled down from his normal.

You're bawwing about repetitive fetch quests, now try imagine replaying 2B's campaign for 5 times to unlock different endings. And she has just a single attack move. Consider yourself lucky.

That's why you shouldn't write like reddit retards.

fuck off

I played all drakengards and the previous Nier so yeah I know how he does things and I think I'm not the only one who thinks it's bullshit. I was just expecting this time around it would change thanks to platinium games, and even though it has improved, it's still shitty as fuck.

When I was a kid I wouldn't mind repeating the same shit a million times to get my mind blow later by giant crying babies, right now it would be impossible for me to play those games again. Guess I'm getting old.

there's the square enix ceo in one of the dlc colisseums

here you go

isn't that also kinda the point? Machines and Androids locked in a endless war while the machine network who precedes over it and had merged with Nier( the last human soul) uses this data to improve their "conscience" so that one day they become "humans/gods" and than launch it into space for some new beginning, at least that is what i got from it, even if i still believe the MAD GODs from Drakengard who caused the Red Eyes madness still sorta the villain in Nier: Automata.

Where did you get that the machine network had merged with Nier?

This is literally a meme game.

The 3 arenas from the DLCs each have a special challenge, the one near the ocean has you do a boss rush mode with the bosses reskined as shades. I guess you could consider them kinda secret.

Because you need to have a plan to dispose of YoRHa once they have filled their function. It would be too dangerous to have a small army of organized, self replicating and extremely bitter combat androids running around once they decided that they have had enough of headquarters and their lies. They are not going to retire through natural means, and they are not just going to be kind and kill themselves after being asked nicely.

Starting off with a bait is a sure way to make people stop reading the entire post.
Next time put bait at the end.

i read something in game about it in the gestalt report 11/12 or something about the last human "soul" data being introduced in the network, but maybe i'm remembering wrong since it has been a while.

Because YoRHa and anyone associated are the only ones that can possibly prove that humanity is not on the moon. What is more important tham keeping the current models is killing literally everyone who might even have had the chance to know the humans aren't there. After that, the resistance And whatever group made YoRHa could continue the war with high moral.

You could have just said so in the first place.

yeah you don't

From the Machine Research Report:
That Human is Nier
this would be the full "Merge", this also explain why the Nier 1 Library shows up inside the Tower. Basically the network evolved after "consuming/merging with" Nier's data, memories and genome that was inside the quantum server.

YOKO TARO IS A HACK
AUTOMATA IS ONLY GOOD THANKS TO PLATINUM

She's made of metal, adolf.

Refer to

This more or less covers my thoughts on this game.
It's not a bad game, but it wastes too much time and the writing isn't as strong as it should be. The combat system also feels somewhat watered down compared to PG's other titles and its balance was easily thrown off due to the presence of a leveling system.

Just fuck her missionary position or doggy style.

Fucking weebs.

I'm trying to understand why I see pretty much everybody shitting on how Drakengard controls both on the musou and dragon side of the gameplay
Sure it's basic and repetitive but it doesn't control badly at all at-least for me.
Even the grind isn't quite as bad as I was led to believe but I'm also into musou in general so there's that.

Just started part C. I think this is the best game I've played in at least ten years. Now to leave this thread before the spoilers hit.

shoo shoo shill

Your son is the leader of the machines. You must kill him or nuke the Bunker.

It's not the game all the hype deserves or anything. I do admit that it's really good though and the best thing we've gotten since Witcher 3 but still lacking because it's japanese and they only make trite stuff. It's not as good as the first one or even a game much like it: breath of fire dragon quarter. It's great for the time it came out though because very few games even come out and lots are made for the lowest common denominator or are bad AAA titles.

At last i truly see.

Came into this thread expecting shitposters jumping on the story for being "2deep4u" or whatever, was pleasantly surprised. Suffice to say it's the best you're going to get out of the gaming industry for probably a long time.

The gameplay had problems, in particular the rpg leveling system causing you to either do 0 damage to enemies or nuke bosses before their dialogue finishes playing. The best thing to do is stack defensive chips exclusively or don't use chips at all. The open world is limited, but it basically gets the job done. I don't begrudge a game for being made on a limited budget if it's still able to achieve almost everything it wants, in fact, that only makes it more special. Just be aware that you only get to experience the first playthrough once, replaying it will not recreate the experience. Also, the DLC is some extremely embarassing nintendo-tier trash, just skip it unless you really like the costumes.

>We could have had a DLC that adds a really comfy post game where 2B A2 and 9S go around helping to rebuild civilization

yea its pretty shitty.

MGR has pretty good gameplay, on a scale of 0 to ninja gaiden black I'd gave it a 8.

Haven't played Automata but I just played the original Nier for the first time on Holla Forums's advice and holy shit, what a fantastic game. If Automata is half as good I'll be happy

Also, are the Drakengard games worth playing? I'm pretty picky.

Play Drakengard 1 and 3

Drakengard 1 has a great story and endings and the flying combat is pretty fun but there's no denying the ground combat is basic and bland as fuck.

It's still unplayable to me even with the newest FAR mod.

The gameplay is shit anyway.

I seriously don't understand these people.I DO understand the false flaggers since any time anything becomes popular cuckchanners have to rile the masses into shitting on it.

You're crazy. I loved MGR and I still wouldn't rate its gameplay that high. The deal is that there's the option of depth and variety, just like Automata. But also like Automata, there's no fucking reason to explore that depth unless you get off on making flashy combos and doing shit for style. MGR can be as easily be beaten by exploiting the dodge slash and golden rule of "smack dude until he turns blue and blade mode."

Shit did have better bosses though, and Automata being an ARPG made it so you outlevel shit and wind up instagibbing everything.

For 1 specifically (since I'm currently still playing that)i t really depends on how allergic to musou-style combat you are, It's far from being the worst example of that style of combat out there
The thing is though while you can breeze through the game easily up until the latter chapter the game heavily expects you to go out of your way to kill almost everything on the map and actively try and find hidden weapons to get a somewhat normal difficulty curve, (although you really just need 4 specific ones to really have no major issues throughout the game).

yes, automata is better, bit disappointing some of the tricks from nier get reused, but considering everything else? It's understandable. Taro kinda commented on it in an interview about how he's disappointed in himself as a creator because he only has so much creative capacity. As much as he might try to differentiate things, in the end it all comes from the same mind so he feels like a failure.

you made a poor choice.

good luck getting the true ending

BEST SONG COMING THROUGH

I DID MY BEST, ONE THING IS CERTAIN, I AM ROOTING FOR YOU [USA]

Not an argument, fuck off ADL.

He got the super secret [T]rainer ending.

Back to the MO of the machines:
As the research document says, the machines decided to sabotage themselves by spreading the errors that eventually became the machine units with a will of their own. But if this is the case, why some of them make it sound like they actively decided to disconnect from the network? By the way the document implies, it sounds like these units would have suddenly "woke up" not knowing about what anyone else in the network was doing, with some of them deciding to stop fighting and/or doing something else. Or an heroing themselves since they didn't understand what the fuck was going on.
if it's the latter it makes the thing a lot more sad on the machines' end.

Near hakuna matata is the greatest game ever made! 11/10! Nothing else can compare! Like Skyrim with DMC!

the drm version is any PC version, as it's clearly the most cucked. ps4 has no drm.

Nope. Dropped. I'm not running around a barren, uninteresting open world delivering trinkets to uninteresting characters just because the robot's ass is fat and the director is a quirky guy with a mask.

pick it back up and you'll be in for a surprise :^)

But it's made in japan! Besides, the western games you play like Skyrim have the same problems so it's ok when my anime game does it!

So is Emil The Watchers?

nier automata fags are a new breed of cancer

As annoying as it may feel, it provides context on the relation between the resistance and the peaceful robutts.
There are way more annoying fetch quests on the side, and you are kind of forced to do them if you want to read more on the backstory of the machines and other events.

It's okay if you still dislike the game though. Contrary to what the shitposters like to say, pretty much everyone who like this game recognizes that it does have flaws, mostly because it's Platinum's first attempt at open world games, and some others go back to the way Taro works.

But still, the fact that a AA title led by a jap guy in a goofy mask manages to do way more in terms of storytelling than the so-called "cinematic experiences" from CY onwards tells you everything that's wrong about game development in the west. This is not justifying weeb shit, it's reality.

Fuck spoilers. The game has been out long enough.
As I understand it, though, the machines were somehow convinced of the goal to emulate humanity.
So i think the end result, what is trying to be said, is that all of humanity's differences are really the result of widespread and various persistent errors.

You know, Mass Effect 2 had a similar thing with the Geth. Saying that the two factions of Geth were the result of getting a single digit difference at the end of a long string of decimals in a floating-point number from the same calculation.

In hindsight Platinum might have not been the wisest choice for being the developer on Nier Automata when the original concept and story lends itself stronger to RPG gameplay, but the actual hack 'n slashing itself is brought down by the open world design, savepoints, stretched out pacing, and RPG elements in terms of leveling and chipset. But bullet hells don't work as well in RPGs, so tough choice there

Yeah, on top of that it's unplayable on pc.

good, shit eaters deserve what they get. you made the poor investment, it's been biting you in the ass all generation. I wonder when you'll realize your mistake?

wew

It feels like the hitbox of the hacking thing sticks out a bit behind the circle but nothing in front of it.
I have yet to complete credits boss. I can't play online for privateer reasons.

Ok kid

I had no problems with dragon controls, but the Caim controls are stiff as fucking hell.

Good thing its a good song because you'll hear it for a few hours.
I like this song. The whatever the fuck it's called vocals at 2 minutes is my favorite part.

Yeah it does, and if it works on literally anyone's machine it completely discredits your statement that it's unplayable.

shoo shoo shill

posessed by disease, all the vocals were by a single person with no post editing

Even though N:A is a "flawed gem", it's less flawed than Yoko Taro's other games, but maybe a bit less "gem". Solid 8/10 in my eyes. now if they finally fixed the pc port…

About as valid a statement as "unplayable on PC", you gigantic faggot. I didn't have any issues either, although many other people did. It's a pretty bad port, but by no means unplayable.

the flaws are really minor and don't get in the way of anything that makes the game great. just makes a few of the extraneous elements a little disappointing.

Turn off every other CPU core, you fucking sperg.

I really enjoyed route B because the quests exclusive to 9S were all very unique and interesting.
I feel like even if it makes the game piss easy in the long run you should really try the side quests, they add so much flavor and even foreshadow certain events that don't come into play until very late in the story, they are also, for the most part, really well written.
Taro you cheeky fuck.

please use archive.is/articles/2017-07-07-yes-platinumgames-is-working-on-a-nier-automata-pc-patch
they're fixing it goys

archive.is/TeD5L
I was too lazy

Now they just need to remove denuvo and compress the videos.
Then I'll consider giving them some money.

The game suffers from

its got less flaws than deus ex, yet many will call that the greatest game of all time.

I agree but at the same time game did rest of things well enough I still consider it some of the best. It also might be because I ignored most of side quests during my playthrough.

Now to little bit more constructive things. It was still fucking well written game with gameplay to not discourage you from the story.
I don't really recall any games with stories that I could quote to normalfags and for them to agree. We really need more stuff like this.

deus ex's flaws are design, it being made at an earlier time makes no difference. stop getting so defensive.

Gameplay was mediocre.
I loved the story but I'm not sure Yoko Taro is the absolute mastermind most people make him out to be.
A lot of subtle details really got me thinking.
Like about what makes us human, nad what makes us ourselves.
He touches this with Nines forgetting about 2b on the intro sequence and Pascal getting a factory reset about the thing with the kids.
But I'm not completely sure all this philosophy prompts are one hundred percent intentional.

Kill yourself.

Every boss you fight in the game is named after some philosopher

Maybe you want to be cute, but you're not a fag so you want to be the trap and get pampered by a cute girl.

Oh, I guess that settles it.
In my book, that makes him a pretty good writer.

Pretty sure his point is those "philosophy prompts" are all intentional.

I recently got the Original NeiR. What am I in for?
t. user who played NeiR Automata first and loved it

I bought it for the ass and enjoyed the first route, the rest was just a mad dash to get back to datass only to end up repeating old chapters while grossly overleveled. Why even have that shitty leveling system? it's just a choiceless increase in stats that completely ruins the gameplay.
I am very disappointed in this game, everything after ending A felt like a slap in the face to separate me from my beloved booty.
I didn't upload my save out of spite and just deleted it manually.

Better story, feels and soundtrack, worse gameplay.

You and 70% of Automata players.

This fucking game
Su-47 best dragon

It's a game of tired philosophy, basic gameplay, weird Japanese comedy, bland environments generations behind, and of course ass. No one would've paid any mind to this game if it weren't for the ass. Then it just became nothing but a porn well. Disregarding it's philosophical ideals completely in favor of more ass. That's more a fault of the fanbase rather than the game itself.

Personally, I find the game pretty dull. Only can see so many upskirts till they make you numb and unable to justify liking a game of backtracking with no clear story to understand it's fool picture. I like weird games that make you have to think about it's story. This isn't one of those games.

Great game. Remember, you need to finish it 3 times to get the full experience. After my first playthrough I was like
second playthrough
and the third one

People overpraise the story, but the more important part of it is the charm. The combination of simple, honest and cute characters in a pretty, stange and cruel world, getting to explore to the tune of some tranquil melodies with wispy lyrics, learning about the characters, the world, etc. It's more about the atmosphere and the way everything comes togehter to give you a feeling of slight melancholy.
The enjoyment of a perfect butt can be enhanced immensely by the right atmosphere.

Thanks man. Just started Nier, and it, just like Drakengard, is very rough around the edges, but still weird and interesting enough to hold my attention.

would you kill yourself my nigga ?

Also adding to that, losing your chips on death and the checkpoint system is terrible, especially if you're dying because you're under-leveled or playing on Very Hard, it makes the backtracking even more obnoxious.

Aside from a few moments of brilliance (like the final boss fight at the credits, and the amazing soundtrack) I genuinely did not like playing this game, which is odd considering I enjoyed the demo. I guess I was expecting much more from the final product, like a score/rank system of some sort, a more balanced difficulty, good boss fights and that the checkpoints would work differently. Those are all staples in Platinum's best games.

I ended up selling Automata, got a PSN card with that money and bought Yakuza 0 (seriously, it's fucking great) and Resonance of Fate on sale. I don't regret that one bit.

Finished it without as much a hiccup on a 5 year old computer. The only curious issue was single digit FPS when run fullscreen.

It's a hacking minigame. Get it? That's your cue to go all meta. Fire up Cheat Engine. Lives are 3 to 0 and you'll find them no trouble.

The names carry no significance except for the Marxists (and personally, Kierkegaard because he's a shitty apologist who didn't have his head screwed on right). Even then you had to stretch it "because worker collective etc". The guy who wrote this tripe tried to pull a Mamoru Oshii and fell flat.

I haven't played N.A for a while, is the DLC worth picking up in terms of story? I'm not too interested in new weapons or more side quests.

I stupidly deleted my game without making a back up, so I have to play it all through again at some point. Would that affect the DLC?

is that not what is best in life?

how is reading something about the gestalt project the same as merging with nier?

lol

Okay so let me see if I have everything straight
Did I miss anything?

you're wrong about everything

This fucking guy.

twitter.com/yokotaro/status/885315402183589890

There is no reason why route B couldn't have been merged with route A with the ability to swap between playing as 2B and 9S.