Doom vs Doom 2

Which one was better, Holla Forums? I personally like Doom 1 more

Other urls found in this thread:

doom64ex.wordpress.com/downloads/
emuparadise.me/Nintendo_64_ROMs/Doom_64_(USA)/39715
doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/gmp
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Doom 1 was better for the simple fact it didn't have the city levels.

Most people only like Episode 1 because it's the most straightforward part of the original IWADs and it's the one most people played. I prefer Petersen's godlike maze-design found in Episode 2 and 3.

Duke Nukem 3D

The first Doom, because it had better level design

1 > 2 > Nu > 3

1 = 64 > 2 = Final > Nu > 3

1>64>2=Final>PG=H2P>3>Master Levels>Nu

Doom 2016

Nerve.wad was also a thing, but almost nobody played it.
Just like Betray and Sewers.
And the remake of e1m4 and e1m8 by Romero should also count.

How did Doom 4 get so popular? I've not seen one reviewer criticize it but Worthabuy who did it because he just wanted another Doom 3. Even Gggman shilled for it.

Everyone is praising the music even though most of is forgettable. I think I liked two tracks and everything else is just a blur to me and even then it's more Quake than Doom. I pirated and played on Ultra Violence and every time I felt 'hell yeah it's finally getting fun' the pseudo Serious Sam encounter ended.
I enjoyed it well enough, it was alright, but not good enough for everyone to fawn over. It was a weird mix of Serious Sam, Quake and UT with the challenge of none of those. Also, why do modern devs insist on making shotguns garbage?

On the one hand, Doom 1 has consistently good level design.
On the other hand, super shotgun. And agitating skeletons.
Doom 1 wins out for me to be honest. But revenants will always be special to me.

Yeah, D44M's soundtrack is forgettable noise.
They didn't pay attention to what made the original soundtrack great - it's simple, it has a "jingle" that sticks with you for every single track, and it isn't completely drowned out by ambient sound or fighting.

Fun fact: that guy from the SUV episode is the same guy who did the "IT'S EVERYDAY BRO" song.

Doom 3 is the best of the series.

Agreed. It was definitely a step in the right direction. The only reason it was so well recieved is because it is competently executed and there hasn't been a big name FPS so focused on fast-paced arcadey action in a long fucking time. It's still a nice game, but not mindblowing. In particular I will never understand the people that claim the soundtrack is amazing. It's shit, through and through.

The modding and creator tools are still, kinda far cry from the crazy amount of Doom wads we have currently, really wished they optimized the living shit out of the game engine, still no special mods or custom content yet.

Sensory deprivation. Compared to most shooter made within the last decade, Doom 4 doesn't seem that bad, no matter how much it pales in comparison to the golden age FPSs.

I liked a track called BFG division I think (it reminded me of Fear Factory), but yeah I would've prefered some memorable metal tracks. Another problem I had with it is that it was context sensitive and it only played during fight scenes as opposed to playing during the entire level. But if you're decent at the game you're not gonna hear much of it, and then cue the hums and generic orchestral music.
I agree that it was a solid attempt overall.

Strange, games like Hard Reset and SS3 are still fresh in my mind.

I'm guessing we're not going to see much of it, maybe in the sequel. By the way that was the most flaccid ending ever with the Olivia "I guess I have to turn into Spider Mastermind now" Pierce. Project Brutality best Spider mastermind.

Normalfags either don't know about Serious Sam and Painkiller or would quit early on because it's too intense, unlike Doom 4, which is only intense in its presentation. Doom 4 fans are like people who act like they're hardcore spicy food connoisseurs while only putting a few drops of Tabasco on everything.

What a cerebral song

Ok…

Anyway, I think Doom had better overall lever design, but I think my two favorite levels were actually in Doom 2. I also really liked Doom 64 (there is a reason everyone says it's the real Doom 3).

Actually I might be wrong, I think it was that dude's brother.

No, Marathon 2 was the best.

Really doubt those shitheads in Zenimax and Bethesda would approve of letting people have full access to id tech 6, the game only had tools that they gave you, and it's all limited to making meme maps, just fucking kill the franchise if they ever decide to go full retard with Creation Club

That's one dead space marine

Nostalgia faggots are pitiful, on Doom 2016 if you stop moving for a full second you are already dead and most enemies move around like mad. Meanwhile in the old games, you have auto aim, enemies just walk in a straigh line after you, and you can move way slower without getting rekt. You have to MOD the game for it to become anywhere as challenging as the new game.

Really, you cant take the word of nostalgia fags for anything, they see one flaw in the game(qte kills, which you arent forced to use, its just there like every fucking game nowadays has something to help retards, if you use it you might as well get your retard certificate as well and stop whining) and already say its complete shit, while the old game is perfect, no flaws at all, no sir. Fag grew up and were molded by that shit, so it will be forever perfect, fuck you games that are any different! Doesnt matter if they are faster, more dificult… Hey, we modded this games for 30 years and it got a little bit better!

Come at me nostalgiafags, you have nothing, i played every single FPS that there is, and this new DooM is faster than most everything thats isnt a straight up arena shooter like Quake.

No they don't. I played like a lazy faggot on the hardest difficulty and I almost never died. Fuck off, shill. 0/10 for making me do the dumb fucking captcha again.

You have nothing to back that up. You will probably pull out some mod that makes the old games run at twice its original speed and compare it with the new game at halfspeed. Thats what you faggots were doing when the game out, i bet that webm is still around the webm threads.

Pathetic

While I understand that Doom 4 might be good to some people in comparison to the shit the FPS genre has been shoveling out for the past decade, that's kind of like saying Sonic 06 was good in comparison to the dozens of shovelware indieshit platformers out there.
Ok that's kind of an exaggeration, but still. I will never defend Doom 4 as long as the Snap Map feature is still shit.

Are you one of those guys who plays Doom exclusively on Hurt Me Plenty difficulty? Assuming this isn't just bait, of course.

I always play every game in the hardest difficulty. So if say this fucking game is better than the old games, you better believe it.

It was about resource management and navigating the maps and the traps within, you fuckin' dipshit. You could specifically not kill enemies, you could even do a pacifist run. And the game encouraged you to do this because losing health meant you might be fucked if there's a trap by the exit.

You are just making excuses. You people do nothing but bitch about walking simulators and now a game where you are suposed to RIP and TEAR is suposed to have prancing around mazes and avoiding killing shit?

Lol, please

fucking captcha, im out

The city levels were one of the best parts!

Doom 2 is obviously the better game. It had the super shotgun, extra enemies and awesome final boss.

I prefer doom 1, but the SSG, arachnotrons and city maps were nice from 2. Fuck archviles though

Plutonia was my favorite, it made paranoid

I loved the Archviles! They scared the shit out of me!

The old game was designed with keyboard aiming in mind. The original Doom is a walk in the park with mouse look even in UV. Play a harder wad with intended mouse look and then come back.
You cannot make Doom 2016 more interesting because the game is basically samey in most encounters and has enemy count limits, and the qte kills as you say do not help. It cannot be fixed easily, it's bland from start to end.
No matter what you say, people still play Doom to this day in multiple forms. This game came out a year ago and assuming it was on sale recently, there was a peak of 3.3k players yesterday on Steam. You boot up Zandronum/Zdaemon/Odamex and there is hundreds of players right now only in multiplayer. 24 years vs 1 year. You make the numbers, Doom (2016) is forgettable and nobody cares.

2 is a slog. Its a crapped out glorified expansion. 1 is forever the king.

No it wasn't. It had gamepad and mouse support from the beginning. It was we original Doomgod's that pushed keyb + mouse.

In fact keyb + mouse very specifically was popularized by NoSkill, may he RIP. There are lots of LMPs of us pvp'ing in the 90s over modem still around.

1 had better levels, 2 rounded out the arsenal and enemy roster. It's all in the community-made maps at this point though.
Like Going Down. It's fucking great.

Strife was a great rpg, shame hardly anyone knows about it.

Doom 1 = best singleplayer
Doom 2 = best multiplayer

The original had a more identity, in Doom 2 you're just wading through endless brown cityscapes with 10X the enemy count. And you'd be hard pressed for a reason not to use the supershotgun all the time.

I dropped NuDoom out of pure boredom, and I was able to make it throuh all fucking Doom 3.

Doom had better level design than 2, 2 felt more polished and had some cool stuff but I still prefer 1.

^this.

But I liked DOOM more than DOOM II.

Nightmare mode as resurrection of demons would have been better. Maybe the next DOOM will be that hell?

That doesn't even happen on the highest difficulty.
In fact the game's encounter design actively prevents that. You are completely vulnerable when mantling and every encounter has zombies which are just glorified health pick ups.
Its faster to just melee an imp than to shoot it with the shotgun(which can only hold 20 rounds by default)
Everything about it is a joke. Its only better than Doom 3 but worse than every single Serious Sam game.

BLOOD

Did you copy and paste this from a youtube comment? Excellent bait.

I prefer 2. For one, 2 adds a lot of fantastic new enemies like the revenant and archvile. Something else I like about it is that I think it tries to achieve something on a grander scale than the first Doom does. People also tend to exaggerate how many bum maps doom 2 has, maybe 3 or 4, but you'd think half of them were no good if you listened to the discussions people have regarding it.

DooM II have much more impressive maps. I have replayed them all countless times. DooM I didn't impress me that much.

Because Normalfags have shit taste and the marketing was good and "LOL LOOK HOW FUCKING BRUTAL GORY KILLZ XD, 90s SHOOTER AMIRITE? XDDDD". Also most people who liked it probably haven't played the originals so they haven no idea how far from them the new Doom is and that's it not oldschool at all. Doom 4 and Wolfenstein The Nu Order both suck ass for almost the same reasons.

Too many hitscan enemies.

But they were not wrong about the shit maps. Things like the Factory, Chasm and fucking Tenements, just to name a few, were a chore to play through and had really shit level design even by the standards of '95 Doom wads. TNT and Plutonia had far superior map design. (TNT for its steadfast theming, much like Doom, Plutonia for thoughtful level design as well as exemplary and clever placement of enemies.)

only two enemies are hitscan

Doom 64 was the actual doom 2

This guy is one of the only people who criticized the game, if not the only one.
Doom 4 was mediocre, nothing too outstanding. It only gained traction because of normalfags and the fact that it was still better than whatever the industry keeps shitting out.

doom is better, it's more balanced overall, and it has much better level design. Doom 2 is full of bad levels, and the super shotgun kind of ruins the multiplayer, not to mention it only exists to warrant the crazy health sponge enemies added in D2.

That said, Doom 2 has cool monsters, I like the enemies introduced, even if revenants and chaingunners are probably the worst enemies in the game.

It had mouse support from the beginning, but the thing wasn't mouse look, you could move around with the mouse horizontally and back and forth vertically. Still the game was designed with those limitations in mind, nobody was trained to play these games.

blow it out your ass

Shill your video elsewhere, faggot.

Don't forget the PS1/Saturn DOOM levels. There's even a huge WAD pack to play almost all the "official levels" PS1-style. The reimagined Wolf3D level is neat.

Monolith could have redone that game instead of fucking up FEAR

I really enjoyed the first Doom but i found it a little too easy, even on Nightmare. I hardly died and as long as you were smart and used the right weapon for the right situation you could usually beat any level with relative ease. Doom 2 DOES have much worse maps but it did feel like it had more of a challenge even if the challenge was only because of bullshit. Doom 2 really shines however when you start playing some of the wads that have been made for it. Overall? I think that Heretic is better both have ups and downs but between the two I'd go with Doom 2.

Unrelated but have some snakes.

Doom 1 levels are much better overall. And that is compared to doom 2's good levels, shit like that one level with 50 hell knights and invulnerability, the entire thing is just a shooting gallery. I've played doom 1 and a dozen or two wads but I never could finish doom 2

Oh shit, he's back to making videos?
I subbed to Barley years ago, around the time he made that survival horror video, then he went fucking silent for well over a year at which I unsubbed.

New Order was lame though.

Doom 1 had better level design, only thing Doom 2 had were some new enemies and the Super Shotgun. Both are still pretty great games though.

I've only ever Played Doom, Duke, and Sam, what are some other classic FPSes I've missed out on anons?

Plutonia > TNT > Doom (better levels) = Doom 2 (more weapons/enemies)
I'd probably put 64 and Master Levels somewhere around TNT and Doom, but I havent played them in a while so it's hard to say.

Descent 1+2, Marathon 1+2+Infinity, Shadow Warrior, Heretic+2, Hexen+2, Strife, Quake+(arguably)2, Blood.

Is the Unreal single player worth playing or is it forgettable? Is there any good single player mods for Unreal? You only ever hear people talking about the multiplayer.

People are always talking about the multiplayer of Unreal TOURNAMENT, not Unreal Gold. The singleplayer of Unreal is a fucking excellent experience.

Doom 1 had better level design.

Doom 2's weapons and enemies were welcome editions though, and it really got the mod scene going back then.

Plutonia is fucking hard but enjoyable if you can tolerate the difficulty.

TNT Evilution is a definitely the better half of Final Doom.

Doom 64 is an amazing follow-up with level design to match Doom (impressive considering id's main guys had limited creative input iirc), despite being exclusive to the N64 for a while.

Unreal 1's single-player was really good. Got overlooked because of Quake and Half-Life, then got derailed by Unreal Tournament.

you're a retard

Admittedly this video isn't really representative of snap map. If the best argument you have to you can't make a meme map then I don't know what to tell you.

I can't take seriously people who claim Doom1 is the superior one then proceed to play mods and user maps made for Doom2.

Doom 1's vanilla maps are superior, but the additional content in Doom 2 is really nice.

Doom 1 has better levels, that's all there is too it, that makes up for no SS or enemy variety. Doom 2 mods give us the best of both worlds, simple as that.

Grezzo 2

user, you must have not played the more recent megawads. Plutonia is piss easy compared to them these days. Okay well, I did play all the Plutonia spinoffs as well, so I guess I might be a tad biased.

Kill yourself.

Am I the only one here who actually fell asleep when playing nuDoom?

Doom 1 was too claustrophobic, I preferred the openness of Doom 2 much better.

haha dick doodie!! pbffffrbbtttt!!!! oh no!!!

What's everyone's thoughts on Episode 4?

It's blatantly obvious it was made after Doom 2. It has some good levels though. The only bad ones are E4M3 and E4M4.

excuse ? who the heck is this ?

The question is, WHY would you use slow mo only twice ?

That shit is fun as hell to use.

On one side I vastly prefer Doom 1's level design, but on the other hand I can't give up on the SSG and the added monster types in Doom 2.
To this day I haven't been able to decide which one I like more.

Blood, hands down. The gameplay is super tight, the level design is (mostly) great and the weapons are all super satisfying to use.
Other than that, what already listed + Unreal, although I've always felt Marathon is incredibly overrated and not that great.

MOON

Are you gonna work on that HWNDU mod user?

Slomo is the best part of the game user, unlike modern games that used Bullet time in really bland corridors, Slomowing around and suprising enemies is super satisfying, well that and karate-kicking them. The Level Design in Fear is what sets it apart from other games that use Bullet Time, the gameplay and levels were designed around slowmo use, not the other way around.

Speaking about potential mods, would a fully-fledged Iji TC true to the original be too much to ask for?

lol no, obvious bait level shitmouth.

Doesn't equal better.

NuDoom was, as others have said: boring, forgettable and eminently droppable, I spent more time playing Doom 3.

WHOA GUISE THIS ONE IS LAYING DOWN FAG LAW ON YO ASSES, BEST LISTEN UP.

If only.

It's hilarious how focused this game is on multiplayer deathmatch. Kinda sad nobody plays it on aleph one anymore except on certain rare weekends.

marathon was a shit game though
I'm glad its dead and that bungie have been reduced to wallowing in the shitpile that is destiny, marathon was bad and halo was worse.

Trick question, purple is the best.

I liked the city levels.

Doom 2 had the super shotgun, therefore it was better. How is this even a question?

Marathon and Duke3d were both shit. They traded gameplay smoothness for fancier mechanics. They're both games for casual scrubs.

This is true.

Do explain.

Doom is tight as fuck, Marathon and Duke3d play like sloppy porridge.

What's your WAD idea anons?

I wanna recreate Faceball 2000 someday.

Okay, but explain WHY it plays like sloppy porridge.

I don't know why, probably because their programmers were drug using losers who poorly prioritized their development resources.

You (supposedly) played the games, you should be able to better explain what's so off about them instead of blindly guessing it.

Doom 1 had better maps
Doom 2 had the super shotgun and some new enemies
It's a tough choice but I'll go with Doom 64
It had the best atmosphere of that entire generation IMO. It shouldn't have worked, TBH, a first person shooter like that, but good god was it amazing. Was that mod to remake it for PC ever completed?

There's a source port called Doom 64 EX which lets you play it with little issue at all

Fuck yes, I know what I'm doing tonight.
I'm gonna spoonfeed because I know you fucks won't go to the effort of figuring this shit out for yourselves and honestly you deserve to see how far the industry has fallen.
1: Go here and download Doom64EX (it's the doom64ex_2.5_win32.zip you want)
doom64ex.wordpress.com/downloads/
2: Extract the zip to wherever and open Wadgen.
3: Get the N64 ROM from here:
emuparadise.me/Nintendo_64_ROMs/Doom_64_(USA)/39715
4: Unzip the ROM file and point wadgen at the .n64 file.
5: Open the Doom64.exe and play something actually fucking good with real map design for a change you dumb fucks.

I don't know if betheshit/zenijew get money for copies of DooM64, but the fact that you support giving them money is atrocious.

As a fag that only played Final Doom and Doom 2 I want to thank you. I knew that a Doom 64 port existed but I never got around to playing it. Too many Doom wads you see (seriously I have a shitload and I've only played 3 to completion). Now I have no excuse at all.

That's easy to say when you are criticizing the content decades after it came out, when there is no reason to not get the free additional content Doom 2 offers.
But back then when the game came out people were expecting the second coming of John Carmack and all they got were terrible maps, the SS and some enemies. If it were to come out today it will get labeled as what it is, an atrocious cashgrab, it barely reaches DLC status, but since that was pretty damn common in the PC shareware era and it was the first mainstream PC game it got a pass.
It's easily one of the most overrated sequels in history, just for the amount of laziness alone. A single kid today with a wad editor can do a hundred times better in the same timeframe.

He's just taking the piss

Doom 1 has far better, far more consistent level design and the atmosphere is top notch. However, even though Sandy Peterson was a fucking awful level designer I appreciated that each act in Doom 2 visibly looked and played differently.

Powerslave

I played the games, I didn't make them.

Since this is the designated DOOM thread, I must ask: Anyone got some cool new .wads that aren't themed or anything? Preferably without a huge clusterfuck of enemies. I already played everything in the image posted.

Why are Bethesda such comic book villains? Is this why their games suck so much? They can't hire any developer talent because they feel compelled to abuse people for no discernible reason?

Good Morning Phobos.
doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/gmp

Would you lads stop posting these? They're shit, they're also from 4/vr/ which has been garbage since 2013.

Going Down is a good one.

You got a better Doom infographic faggot?

You're starting from an assumption there needs to be an infograph.

I loved the fact that DooM 2 explored the demonic invasion in a few city type levels. I wanted NuDoom to explore this aspect, since I was hoping that DooM 4 would be a total reboot of DooM 2. IMO instead of the normal fags and ID Software derping up the entire project, they should have just went with the core idea and remade the combat so it wasn't like CoD or whatever they feared at the time. A demonic invasion set inside an futuristic urban landscape is something I would definitely throw my money at.

dead.air

it would cease to be a DooM game though

Nigga, as long as there's demons, shotguns and fast-paced gameplay, it would be doom. D44M failed simply because it wasn't fast enough and it din't have the same numbers count because of shitty programming dedicated on details and bloom than gameplay fidelity and performance.
All they had to do was copy Doom 2 and it would have been great, it sadly ended up as a shittier Painkiller with about half the charm, using quake and BD mechanics for the sake of being hip and an RPG level up system shoehorned in because bethesda.

It was more an exploration based system than anything, which was still kinda weird for Doom. Aside from the 5 or so combat points you can get per level.

And you are starting from the assumption that your opinion is worth a damn to anyone iTT except yourself

Dead.air is both heavily themed (this weird horror/cyberpunk theme) and ends in a huge clusterfuck. It's an excellent wad, but not what user was asking for.

Doom 1 had superior level design; it had a lot more consideration and intricacy put into it than Doom 2's.

You sound really upset about things, you sure you played the original 3 Marathon games? They play nothing like Halo or Destiny, Bungie went to the shitter when Micro$hit bought them and fired all the talents from the dev team after Halo 2 due to their complaints in time scheuldes and the amount of shit they had to cut from the game.

In any case, you probably played M1 and thought it was shit because of the weak level design and focus on story. Try M2 on Total Carnage, it's a wonderful experience where managing the amount of double barrel shells and fustol cells you've got for heavy cyborg encounters means everything. Level design is tight, enemies are challenging without being bulletspongues if you use the right weapon for each and the sheer amount of projectiles on every encounter will make you think you're playing a shmup in first person with goofy gravity physics.

For someone who's never played, how does Doom deathmatch compare to Doom 2 deathmatch? It seems like the exclusion of the super shotgun would make things a lot more interesting.