Player choice in videogames

What are some examples of games where a player has a lot of choices/freedom or their choices impact the game in strong or unique ways?

Is this bait?

None of them. Everything is predetermined. You as a player character can do nothing to change what has been decided by the programmers.

certainly not dark souls
Dead Rising 1 and 2 have five different endings.
There is also Off the Record which is a redux of Dead Rising 2 with the protag of the first game.
3 and 4 aren't worth playing.
For RPGs there is Age of Decadence which is just a glorified text adventure with a combat system.
For Strategy games you have the Deception series with multiple endings.
Then there is Chaos seed for SNES and Saturn which is divided between multiple scenarios with some multiple endings.

Dorfs

Bioshock Infinite :^)

Soulsdrones, everybody.

Pathetic.

Player choice is usually meaningless. Choices are usually presented in a binary fashion, and the result of your choice usually ends up altering some very minor plot point in an otherwise static series of events, which ultimately does nothing to change the experience in a significant way.

Probably said in every thread but Alpha Protocol

The best thing about Souls excluding Ds3 is the fact that it can either be played linear as fuck, or you can make a specific build that breaks the game completely and lets you do whatever the hell you want, without glitches.

Wow, truly unique, no game ever did this.

You still need to trigger specific events to progress.

I never said it was unique to Souls, just saying it's the best thing about Souls.

I mean sure, you have to gather the souls needed to progress to Gwyn, but at least you can go about it however you want. Soulsfags need to admit Bloodborne is fucking shit though.

false

I know Souls is popular so it's not cool to like any more but the way it handled it's open world allowed the player to go about it in many different ways and orders.

Witcher 3
Fallout New Vegas
Age of Decadence

Unlike any other game before that.

That's not the 'original' programming.

I think he's talking about the scene in the plane where you can kill her, because if you want to escape UNATCO HQ you HAVE to kill her to open the door.

Oh, no, not a single other fucking game before it let you pick which road to go down. Every single game for 32 fucking years was completely linear and never let you have any freedom. Dark souls is the genesis for freedom in video games. Praise be to dark souls, for it saved vidya. FUCK OFF

Why does the entire mario community that isn't nintendrones revolve around exploiting the consistently shitty code?

Admit you made a shitty thread

That ain't me. Calm your autism.

Wew.

Ah fuck. I didnt pay attention to the ids and i see that op has a different one. My bad. Is still a faggot

I never said it was the only one, just that it does it a bit differently. Most games don't let you at the start go to different areas in different orders like that these days.

Because games made after 2007 are inherently shit. Stop focusing on new games you massive fucking faggot.

choice is the worst thing to build a game upon. see: the entire wrpg/crpg genre

Goddamn, what an awful drawing.

Fag

Considering Dues Ex is one of the greatest games ever made I really don't see the issue.

If you're such a nonfag why can't you spot terrible female anatomy? Checkmate faggit. :^)

On the subject of Witcher, it makes me think of Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Multiple entries in a series which follow from another and boast themselves on carrying your choices into each game. Have there been many games that actually try that and if so, how many actually do it well?

All three of the series I mentioned don't really carry much over, some item or some flavour text here or there.

considering you think it's a remotely great game, it's safe to say you're the issue

Please. It's a fucking meme game that redditors claim is among the best games ever, but the gameplay is shit and the story is cliche as fuck. And yes, I did play it when it came out, and it was so dog shit I almost didn't get Thief when it came out 2 years later (fuck am I glad I trusted my friend's suggestion, it was a FAR better game than Meme Ex)

I want these newfag redditors lynched.

The redditors are the ones praising a mediocre ion storm game that is beloved by condiment icon, total biscuck. Deus ex is a 5/10 because it is a mechanically shallow, poorly designed, and poorly paced shooter. Just because the game points out that you went into the womens bathroom and makes it so if you exit pauls apartment through the windows he dies, doesn't make it a good game.

In fact, reflecting your """"""""choices"""""""" is one of its most under realized festures.

Fuck off newfag.
False
False again newcuck.
Why don't you just go back to where you came or do you think you are "trolling"?

(((
Opinions
)))

((NEWFAGGOTS CAN'T BLUETEXT))

This is the most obvious samefagging I have ever seen

Its hard to think of a game that doesn't lead to the same ending scenario regardless of the choices you made. Fallout is about the only one I can remember right now which had true multiple endings distinct from one another in time and place.

This fellow user knows what he's talking about, in Fallout 4 you can even CHOOSE your own character!

got the one that goes in reverse w/ mario?

Witcher is shit though

and DaS hardly has any choices besides the ending

Despite the Ow the Edge, I wonder if any other games have it that whatever alignment you did in one stage led to a completely different one. Not to mention it had like 16 endings. (Really 3 and that's not counting the true ending) But still it's far more than what AAA games do with alignment when all they do is just change the quirk and personality of the main character while keeping the ending or maybe a second one if lucky. Still hated the requirement to finish all of the endings

you can also choose not to play the game in the first place :^)

Yes

It gotta be.
Dunno about witcher, but I doubt it has drastically different endings to begin with, since W3 exists.
Or maybe op never played actually non-linear games.

How?

Holy fuck what is it with the Deus Ex shills these past 2 weeks. Fuck off already.

Hey, some artist had to add a couple of more white splotches for that second option

it dose do it a lot better than many western games, its probably the best stealth sandbox ever

It's a person standing in front of a spider, not a half person/half spider.

In first two games endings are sort of the same, but the paths to get there are different. Main differences are whether certain people are alive or dead and whether elves or humans like you more. Third one offers vastly different endings from what I understand, but in terms of "how you get there" is a bit more streamlined than other two games. I didn't play Witcher 3 yet, so it's just second hand info.
Second game was a bit gimmicky with the choices, main one being a different second part of the game, including a completely different location. It also affects third chapter of the game, but in less obvious ways.
First game was much better when it came to the consequences of your choices element. Each choice had both immediate and long term consequences, and few times you were not even aware that you were making a choice. For example:

Fuck, that game was addicting just to play it in a different pathway and found out what the fuck that storyline was named.

For saying that Thief is the better game? Did you burn your tastebuds off or something? You're eating dog shit and you don't even know it.

Kill yourself.

RIP Bioware