/agdg/ + /vm/ ~ Amateur Gamedev General

Speedrun edition.
In the spirit of SGDQ, how speedrun-friendly is your game?
To answer my own question, not at all. It's less speedrun friendly than fucking Ace Attorney, man.

Stuff:
>>>/agdg/
>>>/vm/
Old thread;

Other urls found in this thread:

banilsson.blogspot.ca/2012/06/cousin-lens-wonderful-adjective-cellar.html
hitboxteam.com/designing-game-narrative
fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Van_Buren_design_documents
docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/CharacterController.html
ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/38/tubblin-down
docs.unity3d.com/Manual/nav-BuildingOffMeshLinksAutomatically.html
pastebin.com/ZBGkQXSZ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Engine
puu.sh/wElwF/1fc2308ca8.psd
archive.8ch.net/
archive.8ch.net/posts.html#!v/12853297_#12853297
wiki.unrealengine.com/Building_On_Linux
wiki.unrealengine.com/Category:Games
ninjapretzel.github.io/ProcGen/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Been away for a while. Realized that shitposting distracts me from gamedev way too much.
In the meanwhile, I implemented:

-Controller support (directinput for now as i don't own an xbox controller, will do later)
-Control rebinding for both keyboard and controllers
-A basic enough options menu to toggle window size, fullscreen, vsync, interpolation, option to delete save data and so on
-Opening cutscene (can't show because it's story shit), which also involved writing a title theme.
-Minor adjustments, primarily to the snow and grass that aren't important enough to explain.
-Run animation for MC as well as two sets of idle animations, one for when she's outside and one for when she's inside [embed related]
-Options to use a digital clock for the HUD rather than the default analogue one. Ability to switch between 12 and 24 hour formats for the digital clock. [embed related]
-Misc stuff, like a fadein when the room is created and other things I'm forgetting by now.

Time to go back to story stuff, I suppose.

Oh and in case anyone asks, the time progression in embed related is 60 times faster than in the actual game, sped up to show off the clocks and stuff. In actuality, it's 1 in-game minute every 2 IRL seconds.

You're a cool dude user

Hey, it's the garbage writer from the last thread who posted his terrible written crap.
I have some questions for the literature experts, I really need some good advice in writing a good story.

What books/videos/audio should I read watch or listen too if I'm going to improve in script writing?

How should one go about planning a scene in a video game? [Storyboard/Written Excerpt]

What's the best way to come up with new plot concepts?

Re-posting the map editor that i'm working on. It'll be able to place boxes around soon.

A short story which is absolutely vital reading to anyone interested in writing of any kind:
banilsson.blogspot.ca/2012/06/cousin-lens-wonderful-adjective-cellar.html

As for how one plans scenes in a video game, that largely depends on the type of game it is, and the type of storytelling you want to have. Different game developers have shared stories about how their games are developed, and it really does just seem to be a matter of individual style; Roberta Williams, for example, always wrote the story first and then built the game up around that.

As yours seems to be quite plot and lore heavy, it might make sense to start from the script/dialogue and plan forward from there… just don't forget to edit and try to keep things short and sweet, lest you do a Xenosaga and end up with something that's more cutscene than game.

Look at the youtube channel: "write about dragons" (a literature expert).
I'll [embed] the first video of his series.
He does a better job than I ever could at explaining how to traditionally write well, building a world/story, and what it means to write a good story; in addition to how to become a successful writer (really the same as anything else… practice, practice, …, and more practice).

This is a difficult topic, as there isn't a definitive way to "correctly" do this; so it's largely an "experimental" medium for this type of thing (although, there certainly are observable patterns as to what creates dissonance in the mind of a player, as it's a game, not a book/movie, I'll say more below).
Though, you can find examples out there that are better or worse compared to another, extracting patterns as to determine how you should approach this type of writing, but it's largely dependent on one's personal preference.

My own preference/ideal approach for the medium of story in games is that they take the form of an "interactive narrative", and not a traditional "directed narrative".
So it's less about driving the player into some actions w/prescripted events, or having their actions drive your story; instead the player performs actions in the world (through game mechanics), and the story is the result of their actions describing what they've done.
I'll provide a link below to a good overview of related information w/examples of this, and it also describes the fundamental concepts of creating a video game's narrative (observed patterns, what is observably bad/good, and differences of video game narrative compared to the stories of books/movies).
Link:
hitboxteam.com/designing-game-narrative

attached a quality pic from the linked article

Does anyone have any tips for participating in a game jam? There's one I want to enter in a week or so, and I've never done one before. Any tips/useful advice?

Radical map editor user!

Shitting out a prototype is better than reusable code.
Most jams allow custom engines / libraries ahead of time, but most people just use GM or Unity

Write down how to win and how to lose the game you're making. Then write down what gameplay elements you need so the player can win/lose. Then stick to it. Try to keep it really simple.

light kick knee

finished and rendered as a gif

also, the idle in higher res uwu

boom a phone you can vape

Thanks! I changed the colors a little, I'm working on making the red dot follow the mouse.

… Is this the sort of thing they'd use for early 3D games like Doom and HOMM to build levels?

For some reason, I just thought it'd be the 3d projection in the top left, and they would use a camera to move around. This makes a lot more sense and seems doable for a 1MA dev to implement

I feel like this should have some wet smooshing sounds as they impact things. Plus some random screaming, talking, whispering voices all at once

Polite sage for double post

Yeah, this is based on level editors that I have used. (i've only used valve hammer editor 3.5 for goldsource) I've made software like this before but it didn't work very well, so i'm trying to make something usable. Vid related has jumps in the editing because it crashed 5 times while recording.

hey man, keep at it. No one will ever tell me games are not art ever again. This is some Dali level shit.

Hey wait I just realized something. In XNA for example, you can define a vertex to have a normal. Can't you just infer and create a normal map from face geometry using the wind order? Why would you give extra data to your points, is that for some shader magic?

Yes, there are cases where you want the normal to be something different than the actual normal of a face or vertex. Embed related.

Hey man, glad you didn't get scared. We all git gud through training.
I am not what you'd call a "literary expert" but I work as a translator so take from that what you will.

The first step to actually writing well is reading a SHITTON of books. And I don't mean manuals of style or guides on writing. I mean actual literature.

When you read a lot, you should start noticing what makes writing good. Also, your vocabulary will grow and through simple retention you'll most likely acquire habits that should make your writing more varied and interesting.

I won't give you specific titles or authors. If there is a genre that interests you, find out what authors are considered its precursors and read the classics/founders of the genre. Then start reading modern examples and "greatest hits".
Let's use cyberpunk as an example: you would start with Gibson and Sterling (founders), read some Dick (as precursor), continue with Stephenson and Rucker (greatest hits) and end with Watts.

When it comes to games, titles revered by the RPG codex are in my opinion best examples of masterful storytelling. Playing them, making notes on your playthrough and reading reviews (noc-cucked ones, these days literary critique is just doing the Bechdel test) should guide you to better writing techniques for the medium.

One rule that is universal, I think, is not to write long sensences (not that it's impossible, it's just hard not to trip over your own feet). This is something I never learned. But as I wrote earlier, editors help with that. You can be your own editor as well, you just need to return to your work after some time passed, with a fresh mind.

I am speaking mainly about literature because I think video games are closer to that form of storytelling than movies. The "cinematic" meme needs to die.

But when it comes to specifics of world-building, embedded video is good at conveying how it should be done. The guy is a cuck otherwise, watch his other videos at your own risk.

Reading actual story bibles and design documents for video games and series will help you understand what are the essentials. It's not that much, really. Short story synopsis, list of characters and locations, then more detailed descriptions for episodes/scenes.
but not to an extent you presented

These should serve as a good example:
fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Van_Buren_design_documents

Now that's good readin'.

can you make megaman x in this engine?

It would be extremely painful

you are a big coder

for you

You could also take a look at the Yoko 'Moonman' Taro style of storyline creation to see if it interests you.

I have found the perfect anime and image.

repostan from last thread
my new idea is to keep punches to left/right mouse button, but holding down Q makes them into hooks, E to uppercuts, Shift/Alt for the shadow clones, and Z/X/C for dodging again

So, I'm using a raycast to tell if my character's path is obstructed, and that's working just fine, but how can I recognise if my character is actively running against a wall?

I'm trying to get him to hug the wall and slowly shimmy against it rather than run infinitely towards it.

Anybody got any practical idas to get this working?

use some form of pathfinding?
if you just go and use navmesh, and do something like
InputX = Mathf.Clamp(transform.InverseTransformDirection(nav.desiredVelocity).x, -1, 1); InputY = Mathf.Clamp(transform.InverseTransformDirection(nav.desiredVelocity).z, -1, 1);
now i've got the desired velocity of the navmeshagent, so if he's running into a wall he'll stop because he has no path through it

No this is the player character, should've probably mentioned that.

you can use navmesh on the player character too

Are you using Unity? The simple solution is just to use the character controller component. All the basic stuff is already sorted out and all you need to do is the movement.

don't do that, the character controller is garbage
you have to make your own

This angers me so much

If I use an already made controller I won't learn anything, it also has a lot of stuff that I don't need.

Then I'm not sure what that code does.
I've never used navmesh before I'll go have a read about it

Is desiredVelocity still used in unity? I can only find the 5.40 documentation page

nevermind got it

When I'm talking about the character controller component, I am NOT talking about the built in script that allows you to move around, I'm talking about the component that you can apply to objects.
docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/CharacterController.html

When you are making a game, the priority is not to learn stuff, it's to make a fucking game. When you make a game, learning is a by-product of making the game.

You're wasting time on the character controller when you could be working on other systems and actually finishing a damn game. You don't have to put it on Steam, it doesn't have to even be good. All that matters is that you have finished a fucking game.

You sound like you are very new, and when you are very new, you should not be wasting time trying to get your player to slide along walls. You should be working on the core elements that make a GAME a GAME.

user what the fuck are you talking about, the default character controller is a piece of garbage, you HAVE to make your own version if you don't want the game to be shit
sure i can make a walking simulator but it doesn't mean it's gonna be a good game

What

said

With that out of the way,..
Unity has a nice state machine animation system and all your animations should be based on that. Make a substate with rules for values:
1. Distance from raycast hit < character collider's radius + some margin of error
2. Character speed < speed at which you want the effect
3. "move forward" Button pressed

and make it play the "hug the wall" animation

You can also add a value for the angle between the wall normal and character direction.

"just like make game" is the best advice to take.
It's supposed to be more of a learning experience and a chance to experiment than anything else.
From what I can tell from doing two jams, though… try to make mechanics first, graphics and sound second. Our LD38 entry suffered because we made it pretty and not much of a game.
ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/38/tubblin-down

Try to focus on the important things first, add details and polish later. It's greatly motivating when things go well at the beginning.
Write down your ideas, make drawings, create a plan for yourself and possible collaborators.
When you get stuck on a problem, switch to doing other things (although this is an overall good practice)

Hope you'll post your progress now and when LDJam 39 comes.

Should I adjust the voxel size? I don't think unity wants me to

I'm making this because I both want to learn and make a game. I've been working with Unity for a few months, and having recently restarted what I was making from scratch I was really impressed with the shit I learned.

I get what you're trying to say, but using a character controller feels like cheating.

The things I would actually need for it are Grounded variables, which I already have and is working really well, or slope control, which I have already done in a very simple way.
At this point I just don't need it.

That's what I thought to do at first too, but I'm making this in third person, which means the "move forward" button depends on the position of the camera and the direction the wall is.

I also thought I could run the obstruction script only when the character is receiving inputs, unfortunately I think that would make it impossible to check if the character is running into the wall, or trying to run away from it. Which would result with him being stuck against the wall.

Are you planning to enter the Game Maker's toolkit gamejam?

Instead of checking the move forward button, just have the character input as a vector and get the dot product of that and the wall's normal. If the result is smaller than zero, you're running into the wall.

i tend to leave the radius at 0.5-0.3
and again, if you want to not run into walls, try using navmesh and setting the character's variables to be according to the navmeshs desired velocity
like if you're using an animator and you have a forward animation, you can set its speed to the characters desired Y velocity (from )

I didn't know I could use Dot with walls, I'll give that a shot

I'm not talking about the default character controller. I'm talking about the component you apply to an object which gives you access to a library of code. If you actually clicked the link, you would realise what I'm talking about.

user wut

Also note, if the result is zero you're somehow running exactly into the wall and still should block as well (you're hitting a corner) and if the result is zero and it's the first wall your cast hit you're somehow inside the wall and trying to run out. You might want to handle both of these cases in some special way to prevent bugs.

Listen here you fucking autist. The "default" Character Controller is a Standard Asset, meaning it's premade by the people at Unity. All you need to do is import the asset and plop it into the scene and you have a controller that you can walk around using WASD and move the camera with the mouse. It is a premade object with a few scripts already attached to it.

The Character Controller Component is a modified capsule collider that you can apply as a component to an already existing object. If you were to press play, and try to move, you will find that it does absolutely nothing. You still have to code in the movement, but it already comes with; skin width, slope limit, step offset and a minimum move distance. When you code in the movement, you will find that it slides along walls, because that has been already done for you

Learn the difference between fucking component and asset or you will have a hard time learning Unity.

Jesus user calm down

but they're both character controllers

Ended up using my Movetowards vector to find the dot product with the normal of the wall in front of my character and running the script only when moving.

Seems to be working pretty well so far, I'll see how that can be expanded upon

The easiest way of doing this is checking how far his position changed from the last frame, and if it's below a certain threshold, his animation is off. Basically you making his idle/walking/running animation completely dependend on how far his position has changed from the last frame, and not based in button input.

While this would probably work it would be very imprecise

in theory it's only a few frames delay, shouldn't really be noticable

Final result is already pretty good, might need to change the speed of the movement when shimmying, but this is already pretty excellent

My game is a tactical RPG, so not very. That said, people run Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics, so it would still be doable. It also has a free-moving overworld, no random encounters (all non-boss encounters should be skippable unless the enemy is guarding a chokepoint), and action commands (think Paper Mario), so it would probably be more speedrunnable than most games in the genre

you might want to rotate your character towards his velocity

Well he's supposed to be hugging the wall, when the animations are done there won't need to be any rotations

yea, but seeing as he's still moving while hugging the wall, it would be easier to simply rotate him towards the direction he's moving in

I'm not sure I get what you're trying to tell me

hold on, i'll make an mp4 with an example of my shit

With something like a component system where Object needs to know about Component and vice-versa, is it better to forward declare them all and just #include in main, or #include Component in the Object header and then forward declare the Object in Component header or something else?

alright, in my case the character doesn't rotate since he can strafe
but you can see that if he's going at a nearly 90 degree angle towards the wall, he'll completely stop
but once the angle changes enough, he starts going towards his forward+left/right
in your case your character would stop at 90ish degrees and at other angles he'd rotate towards his last forward+left or right

and to clarify, you don't actually have to keep track of the angle at which your character is facing shit, just check if his actual velocity is bigger than 0
if so, rotate his model towards that velocity
otherwise don't do shit

That's not true if you want to be able to walk backwards or strafe.

explain your movement then
is he supposed to strafe, or will he just rotate towards your input
my guy goes in all directions and strafes, so i just use the calculated nav velocity as the variables for the blend tree in the animator

To be clear, this is what I'm trying to replicate.
The max I'm gonna need is tracking the direction in which he's moving to rotate his head in that direction, but that's about it

may i ask how your topology works? ive only seen it without clothes, im working on a model and im almost done but unsure how clothes work. do they follow the same topology or something else i dont know?

in that case when his velocity is relatively low(near a wall) make him either hug it or strafe
otherwise have him rotate towards his velocity

Get the dot product of his direction of movement and the normal of the wall. That value will tell you how different (or similar) those vectors are.

Nah I feel like that would be kind of confusing, the character should only hud the wall and strafe if you're moving him towards the wall itself

That's basically what I'm doing right now, I just have no animations to attach to it because my artist is still working on them

Where do you draw the line when it comes to software architecture optimization?
Im not sure if i should bruteforce my way to a fully playable MVP or to set up everything exactly how i want it to be right away.
I feel like im getting nowhere when setting everything up "perfectly", and end up optimizing prematurely, but on the other hand if i stop giving a shit it'll be a messy codebase.

don't optimize anything unless you absolutely need to to continue working on your game or it's the only thing left to do.

Do you guys think checking if I'm grounded when my Y position changes is a good idea?

Right now it's just constantly running but I suppose that's kind of wasteful

So does this look like a forty year old obese empowered feminist vegan womyn? Any other details I should add?
Actual feminist and vegan symbols are a bit too on the nose.

Looks like a normal sprite from Thimbleweed Park

Spot on user

Make her fatter and shave the sides of her head to really give her that "I AM A STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMYN WHO DOESN'T NEED BEAUTY STANDARDS" aura

but what if he's gliding through the air

(Heil'd)
Yes, that image works as an avatar for that kind of person, but it's actually not disgusting enough, in my opinion. Shaving the sides of her head and making her look perpetually unhappy should do the trick.

(Checkered)
Shave off the left side of the hair, make the rim of the glasses striped or something if possible, make her appear fatter by making the shoulders tigther and the hips slightly bigger. make a psuedo "keep calm and.." on the shirt, just the outline or shape of it so you can guess what it is.

That's about the opposite of true, the most optimized code is usually not nearly as neat and tidy as unoptimized well structured code.

I don't plan on that happening

what if the character gets teleported to somewhere above ground at the same height?

Surely in that case I can just manually launch the function to check

Optimization might be the wrong word, here's my current example:

This is just my half-implemented plan so far, but of course i also could go ahead and skip all of this to go straight for the bare minimum that is required to get a playable MVP.

I don't see what this has to do with optimization
but getting to a playable state should generally be your goal

this is the most spot on sprite an indie dev with dyed hair would make
honestly

What do you guys use to record webms?
Im using WebMCam-2.4.0, but it glitches out and fucks everything if i try to record audio, it also won't record tooltips and popups

Split and consume now works, you can also give food directly to the faeries, now i gonna make food lose freshness/rot over time and rework the final integration parts with the cookingsystem since i remade the ingredients from the ground up

Take two.
Shaved head's easy to do, a keep calm shirt… not so much.
Had to extend the sprite boundaries because she got too thick. Though I gotta admit, she looks way "better".

i hate this
that means you did a good job

much better

ShareX, but it only has VP8 encoding.

will check later thanks

I record in mp4 with OBS and then use an online converter to make it into a webm

OBS with settings for nearly uncompressed video. Then XMedia Recode to convert. Used to use fraps, but it lagged like hell.
Though half the time, I just upload it to jewtube for better quality.

Were you devving in 2006?

Just have a bad habit of using old software because I was used to it.
Used Winamp up until a year ago.

Oh, and to answer your question… yes, I was, actually. Well, moreso fucking around with Game Maker 6 or so, reading through premade engines and editing them. It was shit, but I tried.

Literally ugh well done

Running is fine, just doesn't look synced up with the actual speed the character is moving.
Hitting animation isn't great, yeah.

running is ok, but everything else feels weightless and floaty, also the walking is really weird

And i would suggest a dash or sidestep instead of rolling, looks much better specially with a large character like this

You need this video.

Keep the legs where they are instead of moving them during the swing. Twist his upper body along with the swing a bit. Speed up the actual swinging part of the animation.
Swing itself should be bigger, so he should recover leaning a bit more forward, maybe with a more extended arm. Hand itself might need to rotate, swing around some object and watch what your hand joint does - similarily might want to rotate sword hand a bit more outside during windup so the sword doesn't point towards the character, but a bit away from him.

Where should I start if I wanted to get my player to grab ledges?

I don't think just a raycast is enough

you can just put colliders on the ledges and raycast to find said colliders
or use some really fancy navmesh to tell where you can and can't climb

Colliders seem like it would be a lot of work, I'd rather try doing it automatically

winamp is good shit

ok, goys, I'm using godot and I need a way to check for collisions in x position so I can remove the points from a graph that I'll be using for pathfinding. Basically I want to remove the places that won't be walkable, said places have a collider. and the point and specially edge creation is kinda compute heavy, even more so when I add the checking for objects in a given position, so I'd like to know how to store the graph after the game is closed, after all, as the graph is static, there's no reason to recreate it every time the game is launched.

unity can make offmesh links when generating the navmesh, which can move your character from one spot to another, although i never bothered to figure out how you work animations into that
but if so much is possible, you should be able to generate the links for the climbing

oh, here we go
you check if you're on a link with
agent.isOnOffMeshLink
while you are, you play whatever animation is required

Yeah I've got no clue what this means, I need to read up on navmeshes

example is vid related
there's an offmesh link at the start and end of the ladder
and he's got some script that handles how he moves/animated while traversing that link

Wouldn't that require me to make every single ledge in my level into an off mesh link?

as far as i understand, no
docs.unity3d.com/Manual/nav-BuildingOffMeshLinksAutomatically.html
you use the drop height/jump distance to let it know what you can and can't traverse

funnily enough I'm italian and can understand everything in that video

I'll give the whole navmesh thing a try, might as well learn it even if it doesn't end up being what I'm looking for

thanks user

I got a real job at a printing place and have basically no free time for 3 months, but if all goes well i'll be able to move out and have a bit under a year's worth of free time after that. I'll try to spend all of that on deving a furry porn game so i can get $$$ and start a serious gamedev career.
wish me luck lol

Shotgun progress, will probably work on it here and there but I'm spending my time away from work on studying other stuff.

Tried that
Devving porn games is really hard, don't think you'll be able to get money that easily

REMINDER UNREAL IS MAKING THE GOOKS MONEY

I'm not doing it cause it's easy, I'm doing it cause its fun.
It still seems considerably easier to survive off of than most other types of gamedev, though.

If it's your fetish then be ready to start hating it and not being able to fap because if you do it you won't be able to make new content for your game

It's a horrible, horrible life

A VN or text adventure game might be simple. Just need a few portraits and backgrounds and suddenly $

I wrote this a few weeks ago mostly to shitpost.
pastebin.com/ZBGkQXSZ

Nobody's gonna pay money for a VN though

This is what I've been working on since tuesday.

Now I just wish I had used Ren.py instead of game maker… Making a Visual novel/management/trainer game in game maker is so hard!

Patreon and goodwill go pretty far for that shit. Just slap an ad icon or link on the main page or a few other unobtrusive and strategic places and youre the next furshitter with $10,000+/mo

Yeah, not with a simple VN

Wait so the first Ray goes above the ledge and finds nothing, then another ray is cast lower and checks if there's a wall?

but it's open source
at the very least it's an improvement over unity, whose leaders are arguably worse

I know I can write at least half as well as CoC. Maybe I'll work on that in my free time

as long as I can do gamedev without worrying about survival, ill be happy.

I want it to be a light exploration game in 3d, just faffing around on an island resort or some place like that. I'd rather have a small handful of characters with a bunch of interactions and side activities than a lot of mediocre characters stuck in development hell.

Eh, I'm sure it's harder than it sounds, I don't really need to whore too hard for money and put stuff behind a paywall, I need enough to pay the bills and survive on canned beans, maybe hire some people to make the music.

Ray1 checks for empty space above the wall the actor has collided with, then Ray2 casts down to ensure there is a flat enough surface to grab onto. These combined ensure the existence of a "ledge" for the actor to grab.

die cis scum

I tried to create a kinematicbody and setting it's collision margin to 1 pixel and running through every point in my graph to check for collisions but I'm getting nothing

Thanks anons, i'll try to improve. I never asked for this, all i wanted was some nice programming challenges and making a gaem alongside it, using whatever placeholders i can get, now i realize that it feels like shit if the animations aren't right.

You could also use a box collider in the place of Ray1 for a more defined check of the ledge.

Unreal is not FOSS. Spend some time in Holla Forums, mate.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Engine
I'd be interested to hear about Unity's failings. I've liked it so far, but I'm still getting my feet wet.

Come to think of it: you will want to
cast Ray2 first, then cast Ray1 (or Box1) relative to where Ray2 hit on the vertical axis. This way Ray1/Box1 will check at the proper height for free space, not above it.

In effect, pic related

He never claimed it's FOSS, he said it's open source. Which is true.

I like to split hairs, a lot of people hear "open source" and automatically think FOSS.
Am I the only Holla Forums user in here FFS? STALLMAN WE NEED YOU.

Except what you did is the opposite of splitting hairs, what I am doing now is splitting hairs. As for Unity's failings: it's not free either, AND not open source on top of that. There is/was more failings, but some of those might be really outdated since I don't keep up with their updates.

I want to learn how to make a total conversion mod for Doom. Where do I start? I know the Memiors of Magic guy and TerminusEst used to drop in here from time to time.

pic unrelated

What?
Like making the overfine distinction between "open source" and "FOSS". Is English not your first language there, mate?
Having the source open means nothing to me, I don't plan on digging that deeply into it. Being partially owned by the Chinese, that DOES mean something to me.

I'm going to release my source code of my engine under CC-NC with my game. This means that it's open source because you can read the source code. You just cant sell anything that uses it legally. All my roommates are Holla Forums tier FOSS autists and argued with me for a solid hour about why I should GPL my code

I might only give the source code out for an SDK, for example goldsource is not open-source, however, the SDK allows you to make goldsrc mods like counter-strike without being able to see the entire source code. I don't think I will because the only reason to not at least show the source code is if I am making an online game and I want to stop (deterr) cheaters. I want people to be able to see my code without having all the rights to it that FOSS gives (specifically, being able to use my code as a component of a commercial product (a game) without having to pay me).

Linux NERDS will hate me because on top of this: I don't know how make-files work or how git works and the Linux version of my code is a .sh file with all my arguments to gcc typed out.

Good on you, mate. What kind of game?

bad guy concept and alt palettes

You made a distinction where there was none. When someone is technically wrong but everyone agrees with him because of common sense, you're splitting hairs if you point out the mistake. When someone says something that is completely correct and you make up a problem, that is not splitting hairs. In this case if UE4 was FOSS and he called it just Open Source and you'd have pointed out that it's FOSS instead, that'd have been splitting hairs. You did the opposite.

1 is gud
2 is medic
3 is gud
4 is gay
5 mite b gud but is tacky

we
re iffy on 4 and 5 actually

3 is a reference to tyrant from city of heroes

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to pick a few libraries I think I'll need so I can quickly prototype stuff, so hopefully I can get a game rolled out pretty quickly.

Yeah, that's the one.

There absolutely is a distinction between open source and FOSS, obviously as we are discussing it.
No, as I posted earlier, the dictionary definition is "1. make small and overfine distinctions."
Are you even a part of this conversation? Did you miss this piece?
I'm hardly "making up a problem", in fact, I'm trying to head them off.
Oh hey, you're correct for once!
No, I split hairs between open source and FOSS for everyone following along who might have conflated the two. I never accused user of making the mistake of calling Unreal FOSS, although I did make the statement that Unreal is not FOSS. Which it isn't.
TURNS OUT EVERYONE IS RIGHT HERE EXCEPT YOU

personally i think it being open source is far more important than it being owned by a chinese company
Like ultimately all companies are the same they only care about profit which generally leads to similiar decisicions doesn't matter if it's american or whatever
now if i ever end up using unreal i would absolutely look at the source code just for figuring out what shit does without having to rely on possibly shitty tutorials.
I honestly wouldn't wanna use a library/engine that isn't open source

That is completely unrelated to what I said; user did not mention FOSS, he said exactly what he meant, and now you pretend people assume he meant something else.

this is amateur gamedev general not autistic gay disagreement general

Really? Because this is literally what you said:
Huh. Seems related to me.
No, he didn't. I did.
Yeah, NEVER HAPPENS. Go ask Holla Forums.
Pretend what? It ISN'T FOSS, and I wanted to point that out, FFS. I didn't write "HEY 7298f7, YOU FUCKTARD, YOU FUCKED UP, OPEN SOURCE AND FOSS AREN'T THE SAME THIIING~!"
No, instead, based on experience, I knew that other anons passing through would see "open source" and think "FOSS" and I wanted to SPLIT THAT MOTHERFUCKING HAIR.
On a scale of 1-10? 6.
No backpedaling here, I stand by everything I've said. Is that another English phrase you're struggling with, pajeet?

progress
i finally have a control scheme that sort of works
also implemented an actual combo system, pressing any of the possible combo keys increases the time for the combo by 0.15 seconds
once the time is out, the appropriate combo is executed

left/right mouse is for left/right arm
Q for hooks, E for uppercuts, Jabs by default
LeftShift does a dodge, the animation is one of the 3 directions, at random, doesn't matter which
C/V for the shadow clones
so now i can relatively easily spam combos that aren't just button mashing, and keep it up decently well
also added collision detection

When I said you made a distinction where there was none, I was talking about the fact you made a distinction about FOSS/OS in your original post when there was no distinction needed because FOSS was not mentioned, not relevant, and no one was even thinking about FOSS until you brought it up.
You even went out of your way to use italics for emphasis user. It may not be what you wrote in a literal sense, but that doesn't change the fact that you pretty much said "Nuh uh! What you just said is not true!" as that is the exact meaning conveyed when using emphasis on that part of such a sentence.
Unreal's license is pretty well known just about everywhere, and it's been discussed to death in these generals, so no; Everyone here knows Unreal's not FOSS. You can try to use baseless assumptions about what people will think all you want, it won't make you right.
That's the second time you try to use an ad hominem with the exact same topic. Classy.

Don't worry user, we're just splitting hairs here :^) I'll shut up about this after this post, though. I'll just get back to work.

Looks like he's punching rather than swinging the weapon.

Glad to see you got it fixed
Althought you might want to be wary of using shift for stuff, people still have sticky keys activated by default and you have no idea how annoying that shit is when you activate it by mistake.

i really don't see a better option, using Z for that means that i need to overlap my fingers
Tab is too far away
Caps lock is just stupid
Control is a bit too tricky
Alt is unreachable with a pinky
i either need 6 fingers, or i need to use shift
obviously in the end the keys will be reconfigurable, but for the moment this seems like the best option

Dunno maybe caps could work, it really depends on how often you have to press shift.

could I get adopted by a godot gamedev. I have a path for my npc, it starts at its position and ends at the goal.

in this case the starting position is 44,180 ( for computing's sake the path changes every 2 pixels instead of 1) so the next position in the path is 44,182 then 44,184 so on until the goal. I tried two aproaches, the first one was:

I just got the new player model from my artist and it's divided in a bunch of different parts, can I apply a texture to it without also having to split that texture up for each part?

yes
you just have to assign each models uvs to a section of the texture

I actually noticed that it seems to work even if I just drag the material over each bit individually

Seems like my artist fucked up some of the mapping or sent me wrong model though, shit's fucked

guess I'll have to see tomorrow

I want to git gud at Blender. What are your favorite tutorials?

i just taught myself for 3 1/2 years until i needed to learn how to set up an IK rig and actually render images

granted I used it for projects that required neither of those things

it's not much, but i'm shit at coding so it's still exciting to have at least this much done.

animations are placeholder. need to add more transition animations in the state machine anyway.

Blender has a really steep learning curve because it has an awful interface and works the complete opposite of most other 3D modeling programs.

Unfortunately the biggest problem blender has is that it's made and designed solely by programmers who, sure have amazing knowledge and have built an incredibly solid program over the years, but that also have absolutely have no idea how to also make it accessible.

So my suggestion is: Go use Maya or something else, you'll have a much easier time learning and the tutorials will be of much higher quality.

Hows SmileBASIC?

It did improve a lot in the last 2 years or so. Still terrible to start with, but once you have a basic notion of what you are looking for, a couple of google searches will get you a long way out. And no more unlabeled micro buttons…

Still, if you have the choice, you should probably learn something else.
Blender's good and all, especially for being free, but it just can't measure to stuff that's now industry standard.

I spent years trying to get a vague knowledge of how to make things in blender without ever getting anywhere, and bam, one day to the other I was actually able to make stuff.

I don't think so. I started in Nendo, then Mirai, then I moved to Maya and XSI, stuck with them for a few years, then Cinema4D and today I just use Blender for my indie work.
If you already know well how to do shit, Blender's messy interface isn't a big issue, and having it as a lightweight dedicated modeling tool with the good tech it has is very comfy.
Not sure if I would try to build up a game studio production workflow with it, but sure is nice for my own stuff.

I've already been using it for a couple years on and off so I'm not turned off by the interface. I've also used 3dsmax a long time ago and didn't find it that much better. It just seems like a bit of a hassle going from cycles to [insert game engine]. I've just recently started learning cycles and find it quite enjoyable and comparible to UE4's material editor, but haven't been able to get my results into a game engine yet. I'm comfortable witht he node editor and am mostly interested in environmental art. But trying to get something from blender to godot has been troublesome and I haven't been able to get it working yet. Maybe I should just try Unity instead. Maybe Substance Designer/Painter would make this a lot easier.

How to see the older thread?

For the most easy-going workflow, get Unity and Shader Forge or Amplify. It will be very similar to the cycles node shaders. And mind that Unity will suck graphically until you set the scene properly to Realtime G, Linear Color Space, adjust the cascaded shadows distances, place reflection probes, set your scenery objects as static and tell it to build the GI and put in the camera post processing effects.
UE4 already does all that from the box and is more efficient in the end, but Unity is much easier to bend into your will and work with.

fightan game fag here, other artist is gonna be on leave for about two days so I wanted to make a quick fun post

we designed a character and we've got a bunch of colors for her outlined (most references, some not) and we wanted to give you fellas the resources to give us some ideas for palettes for when the time comes to give each character more than one palette

here's the PSD and the concept for the character in question

if we like one we'll put it in the game lol

puu.sh/wElwF/1fc2308ca8.psd
(kinda crummy because artfag didnt initially have a good white PSD and i dont think he ever kept one intact RIP sorry)

glhf love you all, love this thread, keep up the good work on your games

It's been pruned already. There used to be an archive for Holla Forums, but I don't remember the name and I don't think it's up. I think it was like archive.moe or something?

I'll check those out. Been meaning to give Unity another go. Have not used 5 at all.

There is a new archive but I've got no clue how to use it

archive.8ch.net/

Nice, I didn't know this existed.

Here you go friendo.
archive.8ch.net/posts.html#!v/12853297_#12853297

Thank you. On one hand it's nice to find old posts you couldn't be there to see, on the other, fucking nsa has a public archive on us.

shitty island related

islands are created when tectonic plates collide afaik

imagine what two gargantuan chunks of rock look like when they collide at their corners/edges and try to emulate that

Also hotspots

Good points, both.

Space opens a context-sensitive search menu for applicable operations.

How is Gynoid-user doing? Did he kill himself after Auto-tomato?

I know I would have

Looks like fucking Factorio has finally some few handy cheat tools which allows for all technology to be unlocked and infinite crafting, I think it might be worth porting my ARWM mod to 0.15.x again soon but I want to make some gud progress on my tonk mod for skullcrap first. I am still fucking mad thou that their mod page needs a fucking paid account to download shit there, fucking cunts. Looks like the russkies made a mod pirate site, well too bad it is impossible to download new mods that way since the russkies account got banned

I wonder if those icons can have 64^ images now since I need caliber info slapped on it for my ammunition types.

I've beaten NA a few times, and I've seen that anons work since the /agdg/ threads on Holla Forums started here on h8ch.
They're not that similar, and different on quite a few fundamental levels.
The combat is totally different, the MCs are different themed, and I didn't see that user once mention the aspects of NA's mechanics/world/lore/soundscape that made it so good.

They're very different, and that user's sperg out in the NA thread a few weeks ago was honestly not that surprising to me; nor did their "proof" lend any credence to their paranoid rant.

Was it confirmed that it actually was Tetradev? He's disappeared for extended periods of time before and I'm willing to believe some autist would impersonate him.

Why is it I keep getting myself in projects that require a ton of careful level design? Why can't I do something that just needs procedural worlds?

Because procedural worlds are inferior to well designed ones.
Procedural ones only work with a very select few games. And for every good or okay procedural game, there's fifty shit ones.

Few too many details to be anyone else, and they were mentioning it a few times in the /agdg/ threads before said fit.
So it all makes sense.
Not to mention it's a personality trait of theirs (making small things into big deals, as has happened many times in the past).

Could somebody elaborate why it's better to sculpt in Zbrush instead of Blender? I've only just started in both programs but they feel pretty similar to me.

zbrush feels more like actual irl clay and is more simple than blender, also zbrush is tres cher.

As someone who has a background is in art. Would you recommend zbrush over Blender?

See, that's what I thought too, but then upon increasing the vertices of an object in Blender it feels very similar to sculpting in Zbrush, yet I have a hard time finding any quality sculpts in Blender where as they seem a dime a dozen in Zbrush. I just wish I could understand why there's such a difference in quality between the two. You'd also think with the functions in Blender people would have some better stuff to show off.

You'll have to learn both anyway. Since zbrush is just for sculpting characters and props and maybe texturing. All other stuff like animation and architecture you'll have to do in blender.

One is a professional dedicated artist sculpting tool and the other one is a all around "it's free and it does everything for my indie game" tool.

So naturally you get the pros posting 7918371923193691836 polygon zbrush sculpts on their artstation account and with blender a bunch or shitty models that you only see in shitty steam games. Because for the pro prioritizes the model and the indie prioritizes just liek maek gaem.

Not saying pro work can't be done in blender, it's just you have to consider all variables. Look even the faggots at ubisoft payed top dollar to use zbrush, which is funny because non of that detail ever ends up in the final game at all.

Since XNA is dead, how do I do graphics in C# without Unity or Unreal?

Monogame is the zombie XNA

ty! Mono as in Xamarin?

Gotcha, I guess it's hard for me to see since I'm still only surface level, but it's definitely hard to ignore the outcomes. Even some of the more amateur work in Zbrush tends to have a bit more quality to it than the Blender sculpts I've seen.

I've got a few books on Zbrush so I guess I'll get to studying

Last public thing from him is from late June , I'm guessing he's laying low and working on his stuff or taking a summer break.
Hopefully he hasn't gone full retard, it would be a shame to ditch what he's done up until now over surface similarities with another game.

What would you recommend for making a GUI in C?
I was originally going to make my shitty pong attempt on pure prompt, but even without clearing the screen, it's too slow for anything that isn't a text game.
>inb4 use C++ or unity

sdl

JUST

Still, looks pretty good. Prolly gonna need to change the eyelids textures though

Nice, thanks user.
I was going to choose between GDK+ and Windows.h before.

is there a discord?

There is literally no reason at all for a discord to exist.

Skype is trash, Teamspeak and co require you to buy servers, have horrible interfaces and generally horribly clunky

You can use discord from any device for free, you don't even have to install it.

but why do you need it

To talk to my internet friends

You know why this place is great? It's because no one is known for their identity. No one's known as "that guy who's [insert random insignificant trait]". No, We're all just autistic nodevs hoping to make our dreams come true. At most, we know certain people for their games, like MoM user.

All discord will do will add identities to us, and by extension, create room for drama which would only ruin this place.

In other words, kill yourself.

Fuck off, Discordfags are fucking cancer. Everywhere you go, some faggot has to make his own Discord room so he can have his little personal cult for fucking everything and be an attention whore.

It's an anonymous fucking website you daft cunt, go to Reddit if you want to chat with others with a username.

point at him and laugh

I'm not questioning Discord's right to exist in general, but discords replacing imageboard threads is the worst kind of cancer.

I'm actually just trying to find some of the old fags who used to work on the Holla Forums ss13 codebase tbh

I never said we needed a discord you sperglords, calm your shit and untwist your panties.

Goddamn you guys really need to tone down the autism, as soon as you mention Discord, triggered fags come out of nowhere to shit on it. It's like it killed your parents.

I've got both real life and internet friends
What now buddy boy

jelly?

FRIENDS ARE A DISTRACTION FROM PROGRESS

So we don't need a Discord, you're just looking for one?
There is an Holla Forums Discord somewhere, by the way. It's fucking shit.

Also
Again, kill yourself.

Jokes aside,this.
I stopped posting on every board except here, and dropped most social contact in general because it distracted me from gamedev and made me severely depressed as a result

I'm not looking for one, learn yo use IDs nigger

Also that's absolutely retarded, talking to my friends is my biggest inspiration and given that I am devving with a friend it's also needed for us to progress.

Good luck maintaining your sanity

You're a human, a social being by nature. Don't try to fight your biology too much, it'll just make you depressed.

so no one knows anything about the old Holla Forums codebase for ss13? got it

Might want to ask in a SS13 thread instead.

did tbh

People exhaust me. Constantly have to appease them, roll over and be a doormat for them to maintain the "friendship", and they'll dump you at the first sign of being a bother.

I get enough socializing out of the occasional posts I make on here. Everything else is a distraction from what actually makes me happy, and as a result, it makes me tired, stressed and eventually leads to mental breakdowns.
And don't get me started on the belittlement you receive if you embarrass yourself or mess up a joke.

This is getting tiring.
Going back to writing music.

Mono is just a cross-platform dot-net. Seriously. They just take microsoft's code and support a .net runtime on non-microsoft platforms.

What's so edgy about that, retard? He's pretty much right.

Wrong. It's an implementation of .NET. There's absolutely no code from Microsoft because licensing.

He's not.

His post is so detached from reality I honestly have a hard time believing he is still sane.
Look at how many times he mentions being tired, I'd be really surprised if user isn't extremely depressed or suicidal.

Posting on an imageboard isn't a replacement for social interaction, if you ever get to the point where you actually believe that to be true then jesus fuck, you need some serious help.

It's not, but the modern world is so fucked. His friends are probably talking about buttsex, drugs and their wife's sons 24/7.

From >wikipedia

I really doubt he has any actual friends.
And if you don't like your friends then go make people you fit with better.

But then who will cheer you on when you're down in a rut and question why you even bother?

not sure how i feel about the dashing

I'm really only into fitness, firearms, and electronics, and couple that with far-right political views, only a very small minority is going to relate with me.

You're not a kit anymore, your friends don't have to like exactly the same things you do.
Also with those interests you can meet pretty much anybody, don't be a pussy.

Too teleporty

No, I have a good amount of friends, it's just most of them live far away and I have to communicate them through online. I only have a couple of friends in actual meatspace.

Double-tap is a clunky input method, putting it on an evasive mechanic sounds suspect. Also too teleporty, it's fine if it's super fast but the end pose has to imply an extremely fast step then instead of being the same as the start pose, has to look just like he took a really long step.

he's a cutie

you guys are 2000 steps behind in this cosmic game of 66th dimensional chess

i get what you mean about the teleporting thing, i just don't have any dash-end animation right now. ideally it would just be him being tilted towards the dash direction and going back to normal
what's wrong with double tapping though? either way i'm already using nearly every key near WASD

Double tapping takes longer to execute than single tapping, that's all. If you're trying to reaction dodge something that makes it a lot more awkward.

Keeping in mind that I've done exactly the same thing as you, the reasoning that you've described relating to your interactions with people suggests that you aren't socializing properly, and get shitty "friends" as a result. Please watch this video.

Having a dev team is way better than having friends. There's no designated alpha or leader in friends, you can't lead them or make them do shit, you have to suggest it to them and tip toe around their feelings just to make sure they don't cry and shit on your carpet. not like I experienced that

Yeah because you want one single retard to be in charge of everything while everyone else just does what this guy says is such a better idea.
It's not like this same exact situation has gone wrong time and time again

Teams work better when everybody can chip in on something they think isn't right. Having one leader rarely works unless that person is a golden god of planning.

So basically don't do it if you're not Kojima

But everything in life is a power play. Everyone is trying to reach for the top, you have to assert your dominance to make sure your friends don't kill each other.

The answer lies in the middle. You both need a way for everyone to chip in and agree on good ideas, but you also need to have a structure where eventually someone can put their fist down and say "We're doing it like this", and that decision gets accepted.

DO YOU UNDESTANDU
they're totally not hitting each other though, i need to figure out how dodging should work
and they're not even doing the best combos, shadow clones and punches are completely random

that looks really confusing to look at

same.
Don't, you have no obligation to do so.
If friendship is in quotes then you know the methods you're using have made no actual friends.
Then they were never friends.

If you don't give a shit about appeasement, if you just be yourself, if you just stop being a sycophantic bitch, if you stand up for yourself and care about your health, if you show confidence, you will gain friends.

And if they don't want to be friends with you, then pay them no mind. You lose nothing and they were never your friends.

You're getting shat on because you're a fucking pushover. You're a beta. Betas are bitches. Don't be a bitch, user.

i'm obviously gonna tone it down, unless this is the endboss, the ai won't be spam dodging

This. Read How Linus Torvalds directs the kernel management. He made a man cry just because he fucked up implementing a USB 3 driver. He's an asshole, but who the fuck doesn't use Linux? He's king of his domain and stays king because he isn't a weak cuckold faggot.

Cause your friends don't dance, and if they don't dance they're no friend of mine

normal people

To be honest if Linus wasnt a huge asshole the linux kernel would have become more backdoors than actual code by this point.
His non pc attitude and Stallman's sheer autism are indestructible barriers for cia-niggers that wish to corrupt and normalfags that are easily corrupted.
sage for offtopic

Also go to the fucking gym and pump iron before you do something stupid like killing yourself. Also your depression and complete and utter disillusionment is linked with your health. The shittier you feel physically the shitter you are mentally.

Hit the hym, three times a week, do as much as you can, and then go home and rest. Alternatively, get a menial job where you push shit around, like a cart pusher at a supermarket or a dock worker or whatever.

Essentially that is the case.

Good luck trying to work on anything beyond Unity, faggot. Make sure you don't receive anything more than 10,000$ or your ass is grass.

Amen, praise Jesus.

LAWD PRAISE THEE

But I actually meant the gym, and if you really have to resort to praying the depressed gay away you've given up as a human being.

It's garbage because it's in Unity. :^)

Name one good AAA game.

Moving goalposts, faggot

Wind Waker
Mgs3

Ok
>wiki.unrealengine.com/Building_On_Linux
>wiki.unrealengine.com/Category:Games

There's quite a few AAA developers who want to work on and support Linux, but their faggot publishers won't let them. AAA development teams are filled with talentless hacks anyways and the main thing really holding most AAA studios together are a few enginedevs who leave the moment someone offers beter pay.

godot + blender is the way to go if you want FREEDOM

Thats because publishers dont give a shit about FOSS, and if switching to / working on Linux even means just 1% more overhead it's out of the question. Linux drivers are still shit as well, even if all other tools in the pipeline wouldn't be a problem. I've spent entire days trying to convince my bosses to switch to Linux in fields where it would've actually caused 20% less overhead.

CoD4.

Nigger, it literally says how to install UE4 on Linux.
Why would emulate AAA studios anyway, isn't that why games are shit nowadays?

stop squirming around, i called you out on saying that some other user won't come far if he doesn't develop on linux. that's bullshit and you apparently know it yourself.

would like to know if someone has some suggestions? specially for prototank-down

Are you retarded? I said he won't come far if he develops on Unity.

If you check benchmarks of cross-platform OpenGL and Vulkan titles they hold up really well, often outperforming Windows. They mostly suffer on third-party ports of DirectX 11 titles, which is less a driver issue and more a symptom of third parties trying to force someone else's codebase designed around DX11's quirks to play nice with OpenGL 4's quirks instead.
Yes, AMD's official OpenGL drivers are shit on Linux but they're shit on Windows too. Both of them are still leagues ahead of OS X's fucking awful graphics drivers.

WIP model on the boob lady

Looks pretty good so far, the sprite has a good shape. There's just a few things that I think you should improve.
You're using way too many colors that look too similar. Get into the habit of making a palette for each sprite and differentiate them as much as you can. If two colors look too similar, get rid of one or merge them.
Hue shift your palette. You used the same tone of blue but changed the luminosity. Try shifting lighter tones towards yellow and darker ones towards purple. You can also break this pattern to get different lighting effects or materials across, experiment with it. Just don't leave it as the same hue, it looks "stale".
Avoid using pure black and pure greys as well for the same reason. I'm also not a huge fan of using the outline color within the sprite much, unless you're using very strong shadows.
There's a bit of banding with the outline, meaning you're "clumping" the outline instead of making it a straight line. Most noticeable on the diagonals of the first sprite.
Also, always try to consider where the light comes from. In the up and down sprites it seems to come from above, yet the tracks don't seem to be lit from above.

Here's a quick attempt to fix a few of the things I mean.

This is zbrush isn't it? Why did you do the clothing on the model and not the naked body first so you could add different pieces of clothing later?

heh, I was actually trying to make the barrel more box like and the body rounder. I'll try to shift to purple in the shadow after I do some work on the tread animation

trying to get difficulty settings working
for the dodging i've got a warning system working - when you punch, your enemy/the person in front of you is warned, and whether he responds by dodging is another matter
at 100% dodge attempting, they take a while to down each other, but they still manage to land hits, simply because of the attack speed
at 50% they both go down pretty fast
so the endboss would be something like 100% dodge attempting and somewhere less than 0.5 attack rate
while a random henchman would be around 30% and around 1 attack rate
vid related, first part is 100%, second part is 50%

this is blender

I did this all from a naked base anyways

Anybody ever get problems with GameMaker where the code in the step event runs twice every step? I'm losing it here.

Nevermind, I'm a retard and accidentally created two instances of the same object on top of each other, so everything it's supposed to do happens twice as often as it should.

I had a problem with this, because every time you place an object, it gets an entity ID, like 1000000. The problem is, this is global and never reset. If you make a ton of objects and delete them, and every fucking asset associated with your game, then place a new object, it'll be like 1000067.

For simple things there is no reason. For more in-depth stuff, Zbrush can handle a lot more polygons for finer detail, has way more tools, masking alone is a god send and tons of tricks under its belt. Its great for not only character work, but texture/normal map work.
If you want quality normal maps, you usually model them up first (or use photogrametry), generators from height are crap for sharp details, it looks all plastic.

I tend to use Blender's bump map 3D painting with 16bit height-maps to actually do my detail work for characters, because you get to see exactly how it will look like in the final model in-game and it won't just blur out in the baking and you won't waste your time doing a ton of detail that won't even show up. It is much easier to make it very clean and polished this way.

Every couple of years I try to migrate to Linux forever and finally get Windows to fucking die already, but no. UE4 isn't production ready on Linux at all, no engine is.
At least we already got rid of Photoshop, Krita sure is a sufficient replacement.

Anyone feel like your motivation is at its strongest when you have problems and issues to fix, to the point where you can't sleep until you get shit working again or for the first time, and falls to all time lows once everything runs smoothly and the work ahead is plain, foreseeable and boring?

ayy done with this model owo

I got bored and made this:
PMAP Specification:Strings are assumed to be ordered logically, even if they match the size of a little endian number.All numbers are little endian.Object Format:4 bytes - Type8 bytes - Size of Data in object8 bytes - Offset of data in fileResource Format:1 byte - Size of resource name. If 0, ignore the resource.[0,255] bytes - Resource name8 bytes - Size of Data in Resource8 bytes - Offset of data in fileHEADER:4 bytes - "PMAP"2 bytes - Version Number1 byte - Size of nap name[0,255] bytes - Map nameDIRECTORY:4 bytes - "DSTA", indicates start of directory8 bytes - Length of directory(in "objects")20*length bytes - Object structures4 bytes - "DEND", indicates end of directory, or "DRES", which indicates the presence of a resource directoryRESOURCE DIRECTORY:8 bytes - Length of directory(in "resources")Variable length - Resources4 bytes - "REND"PAYLOAD:(Current Position - Length) bytes - Data, used with offsets and lengths to get it.

Angle made me think her hair was a squirrel tail for a second.

Great work on the boobs.

her hair is fully posable
still considering how many controllers i should have for it, dunno how complex I want it to bend and most of the dynamic stuff is gonna be done/painted over when it's all turned into sprites

Seems to be good enough. Her figure would greatly benefit from having heels or just a less flat sole.

we were going for a kamen rider/arana approach so we wanted boots that felt ready for action, but i can lift the sole a bit for sure. no heels though!

The pics you posted have some heels, not high heels, heels. Most combat boots have them, helps to cushion the walk and keep the boot flexible in the middle.

thought he meant high heels and thats what i was referring to

way ahead of you familia

You mean the room editor? That wasn't the problem, though it is useful for some things, so I use it occasionally. The problem was that I wrote code for both the sender and recipient of a particular packet to create an object, without remembering that, with the way it works, the sender is also going to receive their own packet, and thus create a second, identical object in exactly the same place at exactly the same time, so it couldn't be seen.

current progress after about a week

Just added parallax and occlusion to this surface shader, and then messed around with it for a bit, and ended up with this. Pretty neat.

It's also completely procedural and takes no texture parameters.

It looks pretty nice

Does it use UV cords? Visual editor or code?

Code, it's a shader that uses the vertex position as input, has a toggle for worldspace/meshspace positions.
Does some layered 3d noise to generate various 'textures' for depth/normals/albedo

There's basically a 3d texture being projected onto the 2d slice that the polygon intersects

whoops forgot to paste this and thank

Most of the magic happens inside of my cgincludes.
This effect is a bit unconventional but it looks cool so whatever

Some tweaking would make a really nice ice shader.

How's this for a summary description of a game's plot:
' Ninoci sees Maxwell Thionivich, a government mercenary accursed with a ten day memory limit and a skin disorder that makes him numb to most kinds of pain, being tasked with finding and eliminating a terrorist hiding out in Gennisi York.'

I needed a fucking break from everything.

i dreamt about flying

so I made a quick & dirty sim thing to fly around and chill

too many foreign names

Confusing and boring

Still working on RPGdev for Unreal Gold 227i, I've managed to completely implement sprite animations… Except for jumping, gotta work on that lol. So for this sprite system should work with anything I want to have a sprite, like inventory items, enemies, lights even.

Shit, also I was frustrated and just trying to post. I posted too quickly, forgot the rest of what I was going to add. lol

I'm working on RPG_Game_dev for Unreal Gold 227i, a mod that is aiming to add:
- 3D platforming elements inspired by Abe's Oddysee (PS1, PC)
- Stealth elements inspired by Metal Gear Solid (PS1, PC)
- An RPG combat system, as well as an 8-direction sprite system, inspired by Xenogears (PS1)

Really neat ice shader.
As I'm trying to actually complete my game eventually, I'm avoiding jumping down rabbit holes like the one you've gone down, instead opting to quickly procedurally generate textures with shader nodes in Blender and bake them to images for easy use in my game engine.

That said…I'm curious: where have you been studying up on these sorts of techniques, and how on earth are you expecting to complete a game when you're spending so much time on individual writing code for individual materials?

I've been trying to develop this kind of stuff for a while now, I did an independent study on it last year during the fall semester before I graduated.

I put some of the work
I did online, one for the teacher to see, and also so I could link it to people like you who ask about it.
ninjapretzel.github.io/ProcGen/

I write most of my surface shaders with a specific idea in mind, but I leave them parameterized enough for them to be hopefully be able to become different kinds of surfaces, instead of just one. Each row of things in the attached image are the same shader (bottom row is another variant that has a 'liquid' animation added onto the same effect in the top row)

definitely devving in Unreal 1 was once my great dream, but I was too young to even start grasping scripting.

Today I'd ask myself: is it worth it? Can't things possible in this engine be done quicker/more easily on modern engines?

Probably, yeah. I just decided to do it because I saw someone post on Holla Forums in '14 (I think?) about how "all these shitty retro-inspired pixel art fuck games come about and no one ever devs for older engines for a legitimate retro style", or something akin to that. I want a PC Xenogears god damn it. Also have a high res Unreal background.

New improved tooltips for ingredients

new bread

I love you guys, but you know the rules

my bad, sorry for the trouble vol-kun

Procgen be damned, I can't even make that by myself

Fuck what am I even doing with my life

More like someone wasn't supposed to do it yet edition amirite?

Here is another attempt at pitching the game idea. Are there any possible points one could make against using this style of writing?

' Gennisi York, an unstable city with souls seeking retribution and a government on the brink of war, has found itself in the dark clutches of an evil force tearing through it’s night. Only Maxwell Thionivich, an abnormal man accursed with amnesia and wielding both the ends of a strong katana and chainsaw blade, can rescue it before it’s too late. Ninoci is a hack&slash title that challenges Players to combat enemies in an open-ended world sprawling with mutants and werewolves by making use of a katana, a chainsaw, Polaroid camera and two friends. Can you save the city before it falls into destruction?'

Why do people keep creating threads on page 12? What's the rush?

Hi, Mark. You're a fag.
u 2 bby.

i thought it was already time to do it.

since I'm already posting might as well post progress too
I'm trying to remake digimon world 1, originally i planned on using the story games combat but last remnant seems to fit better for a monster raising sim. so I'm doing that instead.

planned changes from the original:
changing evolution rooster to be more coherent
baby II stage no longer completely useless
new areas and consolidating existing areas into bigger ones
new or better techniques can be learned by current ones
digimons that did nothing in the original now can be hired for battles
praise/scold command will take hours away from your digimon and will have a bigger role (available commands, morale bar, special techniques, in battle evolutions)
evolution no longer a permanent status, events that reduce life span will reduce evolution time instead, once is over the monsters devolves instead, devolving shouldn't happen and will come with serious drawbacks
battles now happen in a separate map (mostly to minimize bugs)
changes to the story to build analogman as a better antagonist

the plan for now is to get the battles working again, then to ship the game with the minimum story/mechanics, and wait for the patreon bucks

pics related

unlocked the other thread

I would honestly just remove the first part and leave the stuff after

Or maybe put that first and then the other part