Doom/Classic FPS Thread

Threadly reminder that Doomguy 2000 is the Lord and Saviour of Doom and that Doomguy's Warzone is pretty good, anyone who pretends otherwise is a (((Doomworld))) sycophant who should kill himself, thank you for reading and Praise to Doomguy 2000, the Jesus Doom needed!

Also Doom/classic FPS thread

Other urls found in this thread:

doomgod.com/wads/iwads/
xlengine.com/downloads/
mega.nz/#!J35W3I6Q!1cNH_A-9rg9CRTSLVfpDZz0ThegleUZhhV3cqh52z78
mega.nz/#!o6xHXCYT!Fat397TU6iq7mb-yp3J7RQgxTB2yi6F8X9Ru8vi-z0o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The link to the iwads is broken so use this instead:
doomgod.com/wads/iwads/

Will doomguy's warzone fuck your comp up or do any terry trap shit?

What the fuck. Redneck Rampage had a hunting expansion pack, why can't Doom?

The atmosphere of BD64 is nice with friend(s).

I'll admit that chaingun sounds very satisfying to use.

Any mapsets come out lately that you've been playing?

But does it have a dedicated middle finger button?

Daily reminder that a graphic demo from 1998 has better graphics then GZDoom with its 0% OpenGL 3.0 feature.

Glide has more advanced stuff than OGL3 in some ways.

ARE YOU GETTING AGITATED

Doom multiplayer night when?

Brutal Doom 64 on Traditional mode is my favourite gameplay mod.
Near-vanilla gameplay but everything just looks so much better.

How would you rank retro shooters in terms of difficulty, counting from their highest difficulties? This implies stuff like Nightmare. Personally:

Descent 1 > Doom E4 > Descent 2 > Blood > Doom 2 > Doom > Marathon 1 > Duke 3D > Quake > Shadow Warrior > Marathon Infinity > Marathon 2

Posting progress on my wad.

Maybe its just me but i feel like the 1024 megawad should be in that image

Is there an easy way to start a co-op campaign in BD64? Doomseeker is too complicated.

So I asked over here but got no reply.

Does anyone have a beginner's guide to making a TC mod? I can handle mapping via gzdoombuilder, but I don't really know where to start when it comes to scripting new behaviors for monsters and that sort of thing.

I'm feeling a weird dip in serious sam tse, it's no longer about killing hordes of enemies but it has like weird attempts at level design maybe it gets a bit better towards the end.

When Serious Sam tries 'level design' in the traditional sense like in the first half of BFE or the gimmicky sense like in TSE, it just ends up distracting from the core gameplay, namely shooting hordes of enemies at once. I believe most people who shit on Serious Sam for not having 'proper' level design don't know what they actually want. Imagine how fun it would be to play Serious Sam in a level that isn't an open arena and the joy of Kleers leaping at you from behind corners.

funny, mine too. if only there were more maps made for it. playing some vanilla maps in it is OK but it's not as good without the special enemies.

It's not like GZDoom has graphics as one of it's priorities. Also, demos always look much better than any game. Here's something from an actual game in 1996.

Why does everyone always forget about Dark Forces? The game pushed new tech in addition to being a fuck of a lot of fun.

It was fun, though it doesn't have a proper sourceport and the native mouse aim only lets you aim in a horizontal axis, so vertical aiming has to be done with the keyboard using the PgUp/PgDown keys which I don't think can even be rebound

i dunno man, i finished the steam version and had lots of fun

Yeah, but Dark Forces 2 doesn't run on Steam without artefacting the fuck out all over the screen, which absolutely kills me because it's the only Jedi Knight game I haven't finished.

zdoom wiki

Speaking of serious sam, there was a duke nukem stream with randy and some other people.

Isn't there an open source sourceport or something being worked on?

Dark Force 2 is a different game entirely, it's also the weakest of the games in the series in my opinion since it sits uncomfortably between FPS and Lightsaber-focussed.

Also I have a note here saying Dark Force 2 runs better if you turn on hardware mode if that's any use to you. I certainly got it working more or less acceptably but then again I was using the GoG version.

Is there a way to always sprint in this game?

Is it not on by default? It's been a year or two since I last played it.

I don't think so. It's been a while since I played it, but I'm pretty sure it didn't have sprint always enabled and didn't seem to have a way to enable it.

heh

It's called XL Engine.
It's vaporware.

and now
heheh

No it isn't. xlengine.com/downloads/ I don't see a bind for altfire though, which is retarded. You also can't turn mouselook off or aim with the keyboard.

I think you can in the DOS version, but see above.

Remember that ancient Windows 95 screensaver which looked like a Doom level? Which was its name?

For whatever reason.

Heretic and Hexen have some of the most unsatisfying weapons ever.

yes, very few of the classic fps games are solid overall. some glaring flaws in there.

Is there a way to remove the reload on the pistol? or at least manually reload it.

just "maze", it looks more like wolfen

One of the shitters in pics related walks up to you and tells you arena shooters are outdated. How do you respond to him?

PLAY SOME FUCKING DESCENT, FAGGOTS
Descent with DXRebirth: mega.nz/#!J35W3I6Q!1cNH_A-9rg9CRTSLVfpDZz0ThegleUZhhV3cqh52z78
Descent 2 with DXRebirth: mega.nz/#!o6xHXCYT!Fat397TU6iq7mb-yp3J7RQgxTB2yi6F8X9Ru8vi-z0o

Think Doom but in a spaceship moving in every direction. Its 6 Degrees of Freedom, bitch.
DXRebirth is a mod for the games that allows you to play it on modern systems, gives you a much bigger selection in controllers (including shit like xbox 360 controllers) as well as KB+M
Out of luck there, faggot. Interplay jewed Parallax out of royalties and ended up getting this shit taken down. Good luck finding it physical, asshat.
Descent 3 sucks.
NOW PLAY SOME FUCKING DESCENT

DDXRebirth isn't a mod, it's a sourceport so you can play Descent outside of DOS/Windows 95 along with new features and bugfixes. Much like how ZDoom or Chocolate Doom are for Doom.

deathmatch nights when?

Fucking rats always startled me

Doom, Blood, and Douk on their highest difficulties have nothing on the pain I'm weathering through right now.

My bad

shit taste.
Maraton series was mediocre overall, if you enjoy a headache inducing pile of shit like that then you have some serious issues.

Note that I'm ranking them based on difficulty, not quality, you illiterate cocksniffer.

You know a FOV script exists, right?

You're worse than the other guy.
On another note, what are some good .wads for Heretic/Hexen? I've been wanting to get back into them with new maps that I can look forward to playing.

I'm looking to play Doom 1, 2, Heretic, and Hexen all in the same program. Should I use Doomsday or G/ZDoom? The Doom wiki implies that Doomsday has much higher accuracy for these games, but I don't know what standards they are measuring "accuracy" by.

Z or GZDoom

Doomsday is another rival sourceport and is much older. It has less support with mods and is largely only used by people like John Romero. Iirc it can be used in mp as well as SP unlike z/gzdoom so that's something it has going for it

in terms of "accuracy" it's measured by how close to the original Doom source it is. Like a good example is Chocolate Doom is a source port that is designed to be as accurate to Doom's source as physically possible while also being compatible for modern machines.

Replying from phone, so different ID.

I don't care about multiplayer or mods at the moment, just the classic games as they were meant to be played.

The link to the WADS in that image is dead, and in a different thread someone gave me their WAD files over Google Drive, but Doomsday is telling me that some of the games are missing data files?

What else am I supposed to have?

Oh wait, I see what's happening here. I have all the latest ones, the ones that are missing are older/free versions. Nevermind then.

we have a dedicated Holla Forums deathmatch server now if anyone wants to play

Hot damn Doomsday engine is pretty slick once you get it configured the way you like. Just played through the first chapter, felt great.

Fuuuuck, I remember this fucking thing.

No you don't
It had shit controls

Not what I meant.

Have you gotten to the dorky bouncy castle level yet?

I've tried it once, it's impressively bizarre.

What is so shit except for the fact that you can't look up and down? You can use a mouse even with the original versions.

does anyone know how to change strings in slade? i.e. changing text for picking up powerups. i can't find any good tutorials

Why the fuck would it not write the saves to the hard drive immediately?

Alright, I'm making this post in this thread due to a suggestion, but would any of you happen to have the Quake 2 mod Paranoid? Only mention I can find of it leads to a Planet Quake link which got ign'd. I'd appreciate either it or some archive that consists of the entirety of the Quake II modding scene.

That's Doomsday for you