E-sports faggotry

What's with "esports" faggotry? I can understand doing tourneys or competitive matches for fun, but I don't understand why you have groups of people that do this sort of thing and think they're hotshit for playing video games. I remember watching a stream once of some fat faggot and turned it off after he bitched about "not being respected by other players despite the fact that he's a professional video game player". All they do is play video games better and more than me, why should I respect someone for that?

It's a ploy to infiltrate and control more game developers via sports broadcasting proxies. Textbook viral marketing.

That rings true.
Also, I've noticed anytime a dev tries to appeal to the "pro" players it usually ends poorly due to removing all the fun things and make it so everything's functionally the same..

E-sports, or at least the dream of e-sports has existed for decades. You go all the way back to the 80s and you have tourneys for high scores held by atari and other companies.

It has now become more prevalent because you don't need to actually move half way across the world to qualify for a tournament or play with other people.

Now go ahead and try to tell me that when you were younger you didn't want to get payed to play video games, we both know that's a fucking lie.

Post discarded.

That's true, however I don't believe that people that do this should really be respected for it. Yeah, you're good at a video game, but still it's a vidya game. I don't see how that's to be respected.
I'm not against competition and tourneys, though. I just think thinking of it as some "serious sport" is ridiculous.

It's a viral marketing tool, pure and simple. By setting their game up as this next big e-Sport which will be watched and enjoyed by many, they hope to attract the attention of those who want to make it big by playing videogames and getting good, but the truth is that whether a game becomes an e-Sport is a gamble in itself.

There are several factors conducive to whether a game develops a competitive scene. First one is obviously popularity, without people you have nobody to play against. The second is the presence of a skill gap, good players must be instantly separable from the bad and god players must be instantly separable from the good. The skill ceiling must allow players to grow to skill levels nobody could even dream of, else the competitive scene would be soured by everyone if they're able to win with minimal skill. The third is whether the game or community shows signs of long-term stability. Nobody wants to stick around a game whose servers are on death's throes, and especially not if there are still many fixes needed for the game to reach perfection.

But the saddest part of this method is that developers cannot force the creation of a competitive scene, despite trying to make it as e-Sports friendly as possible with spectator modes, Twitch support, ranked matches, and so on. The mainstay e-Sports games didn't get to their point because the developers focused on it, but because everyone kept playing those games and wanted to get better at it through challenging others. To make a successful competitive game you need to make a good game first, banking the success of your game entirely on the comp scene is like playing a game of Russian Roulette. Even if you do have a fun game at your hands, success is not guaranteed. Forcing comp standards on everybody will more likely drive away casuals and the people who spend money on your game, as Valve is doing right now by having TF2 suit the wishes of the comp community.

In short, to market your game as the next big e-Sport is to be a big faggot, nobody but your community will have a say on whether people want to play it competitively, and until then you're better off making a good game first.

The only time forcing a sport onto someone worked was with soccer in England and that's just because the alternative was getting stabbed by 10 year olds.

I didn't because if you are getting paid for it that makes it a job and you have to treat it like a job.
It's like those faggots on youtube who get paid to play minecraft and jumpscare simulator all day for years. That shit isn't fun.

Yeah I don't think anybody gives a shit if you give respect to anyone.

I think football's retarded, other people don't.
That's how the world works.

Those guys do it less for the money and more to be around small children.

Or maybe, and now hold your chair tight because this might knock you off of it: different people like different things.

Now that's an amazing discovery. It's almost like people can choose what they want to do in their life because it's a democracy.
Wow. Amazing.

I mean if you wanna play minecraft every day of your life for years so little kids don't yell at you go for it. I wish I didn't have any self respect and was also retarded to find enjoyment in that.

that's not what a democracy is

None of the big people that got famous playing minecraft exclusively play minecraft.
Most of them stopped years ago, some of them played other things.

If people want to watch that then they have their reasons, just like you have your reasons to hate it.

Sounds real fun.
Specially for those who keep playing shit games.

I couldn't have said it better myself. This applies to every popular "esports" games.
Whenever I see a game marketed as "for esports", I expect that game to be death within a few months. I have yet to be proven wrong.

Yeah, but a lot of these "esports players" gotten high over the minuscule amount of attention they get for playing vidya games. Their ego is ridiculously inflated because of something worth nothing.
They also get really defensive if you poke fun of them for playing video games "professionally".

Sounds real fun, huh?

That's a huge generalisation

meant to quote this nigger

We all know Big Bird was an alcoholic because of this you triple nigger.

I can't find proof to back this claim up anywhere

My point is don't make a job out of your hobbies or you'll end up hating your hobby.

Nigger, do you think going around doing goofy shit inside a giant chicken outfit is not mentally scarring? You are nuts.

I disagree.

Dude seems really happy about it and has been doing it since 1969, so I don't know what you're trying to say here

stfu nigger

Damn you're good at arguing

Shut up I bet you are ManlyTears in disguise.
CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK

Are you baiting me?
Cause I really wanna fall for it and see where you go from here

I will shitpost and derail the thread if you bite in lad.

People are under the illusion that getting paid for something makes them a professional. If that were true then internet reviewers who are paid with patreon might as well be called professionals in the same line. Also, people think they deserve respect for being a certain kind of person when respect can only be earned from acknowledgement and recognition. Giving out respect out of necessity devalues respect.

The real illusion is the belief that "professional" holds any kind of qualitative meaning.

Everyone wants to be the best, like no one ever was.
But most will settle for watching them.

Dudebros.

would you elaborate please?

So are we now just randomly deleting posts that are related to the thread or what?

Are you forreal right now?

ESports, Let's plays, game reviews or analyses of games, streams, achievements, steam profiles, are all big cancers in gaming that I would 100% eradicate if I would. There are a ton of people even on this board that support what I previously said is shit and will say "uh oh, you must be fun at parties, no fun allowed" but I know what I'm talking about. This shit wasn't present in such a fashion a decade ago and gaming was much better back then. I think gaming even had a peak in 2004.

(((Mark))) did this

:thinking:

It ends poorly because none of the mainstay multiplayer games of old were built in mind to be an esport, they were first and foremost just made to be fun multiplayer games. Even DOTA was just some fun LAN party thing instead of the super bankrolled cesspool of faggotry the sequel is now.

What? There were a bunch of tournaments for DOTA they didn't have the prize pools, but they were there.

user I'm talking about how the games started off.
You ever notice how lots of the current multiplayer games nowadays are instantly trying to push for some streamer appeal or esports? For example Paragon, that one moba epic games was making, it was getting ranked and tournaments and shit before it even came to open beta. Smite if I remember correctly also had a fair share of tournaments during closed beta.
None of these games give off the impression that they are made to entertain someone through quality, but rather to hook and addict people through this false sense of competitiveness. That's why plenty of multiplayer games have ranked mode or twitch support or some other shit right out the gate, even before the game is properly finished.

best graphic designers in the world, best commercial makers in the world, best movie makers, best musicians, even best reviewers all think they're hot shit and none of them do anything important. a driving instructor's job is more important than any of the above. a trash man's job is more important than any of those. that's just how the world works. if you're one of the best you get to be hot shit and it doesn't matter whether you're the best at making the cure for aids, the best at playing video games or the best at making macaroni bracelets.

Bad example then cause neither was Dota 2.

It's the same shit you see in real sports.
Professional players of any game, whether it's vidya or sportsball, are colossal faggots who think that being better than average at a game people play in their spare time warrants the same sort of respect as not only doing actually important things, but also actually being able to compete on a global level, like olympic athletes.

I want to fuck Bandit (the autism eyes version, not his new angry one)

The mentalities in the (((creative industry))) are cancerous. I live in a shitty turd world country no, not Pajeetland who had similarly experienced a boom in the creative industry/start-up (((economy))) over the last 5 or so years, and nowadays the faglets who get paid a mere $500 a month for their ad design internships are already thinking they're God's gift to my country. Can't imagine the level of shitheadedness the best of these guys are at. What's worse is that most of them are left leaning and/or unironically supporting ISIS like in the West, these two things are not mutually exclusive and thus are insufferable cunts who think they're better than everyone else.

I don't think many of them are actually like that. Not in Siege anyway, the only game whose esports scene I'm not completely disinterested in. Apart from this guy.

Baseball is a game, too, as is chess, but you probably respect pros who play them. Where do you draw the line?

nice reddit meme, dude

You don't.
When a game is fun, there will be people devoted to it. There will be a "pro scene", no matter what.

The problem is that modern vidya developers want to control what is supposed to be a grassroots initiative among the best players.

Why is it that modern devs now have a hard time of balancing the demands of the casuals and the pros? Last game to do it right was Halo. Hate on it all you want but it did not only survive on its pro scene, it also had the machinima and forge scenes to be the other pillars of the general Halo community.

People aren't upset about bad games being played competitively (at least, I don't think that's what people are complaining about).
People are complaining that competitive gaming has gone from 1-on-1 "I'm gonna beat the shit out of you because I'm better than you" and turned into an avenue for advertising. e-sports in their current form are soulless and the games played are picked almost solely for the prize money involved rather than player and viewer choice. The only "e-sports" community that still resembles the original spirit of competitive video gaming is the fighting game community. Compare an FGC event with a more typical e-sports event and notice the differences between them. e-sports has infinitely more flash and polish, but it feels empty because none of the players seem to engage or interact on any meaningful level.

faggots should have just cc handguns instead

England has/had a pretty big thug culture. Soccer gave the youth something to do other than getting into fights.

Why do streamers complain about stream sniping when they themselves are giving away everything they doin the game?

Denial nerds trying to make video games appear not nerd.

Kikes trying to make video games appear not nerd so they can sell video game shit to normalfags.

because narcisistic people want to feel special despite not having any real quality as human beings.
Just like those faggots that tell everyone "i am a gamer" thinking it's some sort of accomplishment or degree.
Yes you play videogames, that's okay, but there's nothing to brag about it, plenty of other people in the rest of the world do the same thing, you are not special, stop believing people should show you admiration, or owe you something just because you exist, get over yourself.