Phantasy Star thread

This is Phantasy Star with the FM soundchip add-on for the Master System and the re-translation patch. Really impressive stuff, PS is an incredibly pretty game that completely blew the competition out of the water when it came out.

Other urls found in this thread:

emuparadise.me/Sega_Master_System_ROMs/Phantasy_Star_(Japan)_[En_by_SMS_Power_v1.02]/89145
ephinea.pioneer2.net/
steamcommunity.com/groups/vantasystar
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Too bad it fails as an RPG, though.

Where is the class-customisation?
Where is the good battle engine?
Where is the non-linear design?

Nothing wrong with a game being linear

The what-what now?

IIRC its in 4 or 3

None of these things were present in 'the competition', or more accurately, they weren't developed as concepts enough for their inclusion to be beneficial.

i only ever played the online ones and they sucked. really mediocre generic gameplay with anime waifus.

as for the single player games, i dont know, i've seen gameplay and they don't look fun in the slightest.

2 and 3 are kind of meh, but 1 and 4 are great. 4 especially still has yet to be surpassed in certain areas. The only flaw that game has is that a lot of the spells and techs have weird names so it's hard remember which spell/tech is which sometimes.

2/10 for getting me to reply to a (1) and done retard.

I'd like to see Phantasy Star get a traditional turn-based RPG spin-off. I'm not looking for Phantasy Star 5. Instead I like to see classic turn-based Phantasy Star combined with modern gameplay mechanics like melee and gun photon arts. Maybe have a 2D game with multiple battlefields around the party where the arena rotates depending on wich party is attacking. Camelot Phantasy Star never ever.

do you have any idea how much you can sequence break if you know what to do?

wtf? this engine told dq1 and ff1 engine to put its mouth on the curb.

Would you recommend the fan translation over the original English one? I've been meaning to get into this series for a while.

Nigga.

The fan translation is infinitely better. Also make sure to use Genesis Plus GX or some other emulator that has FM soind support

Oh look it's the token retard who tries to rope in Souls games with all other jrpgs even though they play drastically different.

People use any other emulator? Why?

The exceptions are not the rule.

2/10 for getting me to reply to a weebcuck.

Or 7th Saga Redux

In Phantasy Star IV you nigger faggot

Previous user merely said "nip franchise" you communist faggot.

Well shit, my mistake, I should really learn to actually read shit instead of glossing over things and inferring false information.

Que.

The FM soundchip is pretty impressive in general. Some games that I heard sounded like they could be on the Mega Drive.

I still think a modern take on a turn-based Phantasy Star game can work. Doesn't have to be linear either. I say that, but the game can be semi-open where the places you go is determined by your strength with the exception of a few key areas.

Vid related. I wonder why it never made it overseas.

You're both using specific entries from nip franchises to try to prove your point when none of the other entries in those franchises so the same thing. By and large, jrpgs are linear as fuck, with only a few notable exceptions. Exceptions don't prove the rule.

AHAHAHAHAHA

I know, faggot. I posted an exception.

A battle system that uses a timeline to play out turns in a round in real time until you pause and change commands could work. With computers the timeline would play turns tied simutaneously. Real time would still be a factor until you pause and edit commands.

I think PS2 did this to an extent with auto-battle until you stopped to change command.

Is Phantasy Star Gaiden any good? What about the text adventures?

Here's a question for you all: what ability would you give Alis to make her stand out from the rest of the party and earn her place as the heroine and leader? Would you give her a higher critical hit rate, better evasion, or go with the star wars theme of the game and give her mind control she can make use of when talking to foes?

Had a weird dream where I was playing a Phantasy Star crossover once. Alis in that explained to Nei her telapathy "magic" (which was a prototype of modern TECHNICs) only lets her translate what the creature is saying. Which is why it only works on sentient creatures with language systems.

Also Elenore had a bromance with Lou for some reason.

i have made it a personal rule of thumb that if a game or a movie has "star" or "space" in the name, its definitely shit and i won't like it

so far, it has worked wonders. 100% accuracy.

First time playing, original or remake?

If you can find the translation patch, remakes. Otherwise I'm playing via Sonic Ultimate Gems Collection.

Weren't the gaiden games text adventures. I heard the Phantasy Star 2 adventures adds more characterization than the main game did to the cast.

One of the gaiden games was an RPG for the Game Gear set outside of the Algol System.

Which one? Know the name?

fuck off

It's called Phantasy Star Gaiden. I want to know if it's any good?

Holy shit four minutes in and there's a levitating QT shopkeeper!

Nigger have you not played ever played Grandia

PS3>PS4>PS2
That being said PS2 is still pretty damn good, other games are just even better.
Haven't played PS1 but can't imagine it being better than 2.

In PS3.

As far as I can tell neptunia and atelier games still sell like hot cakes.
Fuck you.

i have made it a personal rule of thumb that if someone doesn't like game or a movie has "star" or "space" in the name, they're definitely a faggot and i won't like them

so far, it has worked wonders. 100% accuracy.

i haven't played or heard of any of those games/movies, so they don't count.

"so far" implied that the rule has worked on the games/series i listed, which is the ones i tried. i thought it was clear. not sure about the rest of your list but
lol, buy a playstation nigger.

Stop baiting user kun

So you never played Phantasy Star.
>>>/cuckchan/

3 is best ur all gay

I have. It's one of the inspirations behind what I want to do for an RPG system. The difference is the game would be pure 2D as opposed to 2.5/3D.

Anyone playing on ephinea here?

Was this a prototypical SJW game?
"MUH STRONK DYKE WOMYN DAT DON'T NEED NO MAN" as the protagonist.

Is Samus giving you the same thoughts man?
Um anyway, her main motivation was to avenge her older brother. And as far as main characters go she is underwhelming.

She was more of a red mage really.

Still very unlikely. Women should only be healers or casters.

You've never played, or even heard of, Space Invaders?

Not even close, faglord.

Kayla now looks a bit nervous. “So, did I get the job.”
I sit down and grin. “Yeah. You got it.”
Her face lights up. “Oh thank you very much sir.”
“Sure thing.” I point a finger at her. “But you better be able to keep up. If you can really start immediately..” Kayla blushes. “Come in tomorrow at 8. You'll have a performance review in a month.”
She looks at me suggestively. “I look forward to it sir. I won't let you down.”
I adjust my crotch as she leaves. I was looking forward to it too.
Story 2: “Forgot My Wallet”

“Have fun babe.” My wife said as I headed to the door.
“I will. Sure you don't want to come?” I turned to her.
She shook her head. “Yeah, go have fun with the guys. I don't need to tag along. I'll catch up on some reading”
“Ok then. I'll be back around midnight. I love you.” I bent down and kissed her lips.
“Love you too. Text me if you need a ride.” she waved as I left.
I got in my car and set off. I got about five minutes down the road when I realized I had left my wallet. I made a U-turn and drove back.
Another five minutes later, I was walking through my front door. I stopped and listened. Music was playing somewhere in the house.
“Baby?” I called. There was no answer.
Curious, I walked up the stairs where the music seemed to be coming from. I followed it down the hall, the song becoming more distinguishable as I moved towards our bedroom. I grabbed the doorknob and started to open the door, but pulled it back to just a crack as I caught a glimpse of the room beyond. I leaned in and looked through the crack.
Candles flickered on our dresser and bedside tables, casting the only light in the dark room. The stereo in the corner was the source of the music. I could now hear that it was smooth R&B. Directly in front of the door was the bed. My wife lay in the center, on her knees with her face and chest on the sheets. She was completely nude, a sight I still loved to see after so many years, and had a hand under her body and between her legs. In it she gripped a pink gel dildo, which I recognized as my last Valentine's gift, that she was sliding in and out of her wet pussy. I thought to join her but found that watching her without her knowing I was there was very arousing. I gazed on as my wife’s ass started to bounce up and down, matching the rhythm of her toy.
“Yes, fuck me. I love to ride that cock.” I heard her moan.
Damn that was hot. I reached down and pulled my cock from my pants. I began to jerk off as I watched the dildo slide in and out of her slit. My wife raised her ass a bit higher while picking up the pace of her hand. I could hear soft splashing as the toy was rammed inside her wet pussy over and over.
“Ohhh right there.” My wife called out.
She seemed to be getting close to cumming when she suddenly stopped with the dildo still deep inside her. I quit stroking my dick. Had she heard me? My heart thudded then she spoke.
“What's that? You want to fuck me too?”
Was she talking to me? I almost stepped into the room when her other hand emerged over her round ass, holding a bottle of lube. I blinked in surprise as she poured globs of it down her ass crack. Her hand then put down the lube and returned with a toy I had never seen before, a glass butt plug, not very long but decently thick. My mouth hung open as she brought it to her asshole and slid it in, stretching the rim around the glass.
“You can both fuck me.” my wife panted as she began to move both toys in and out of her holes.
She pounded her asshole no less vigorously than her pussy, both toys moving rapidly under her grip. I stared in awe at my wife being double stuffed.

What if Camelot developed a Phantasy Star game?

does anyone play pso2? everytime i log in it seems dead quiet minus the few people talking about lolis. Is this truly the ultimate weeb "mmo"?

I would love it if they used their classical Camelot art style

I like all of the phantasy star games, but 3 I just feel bad for because after the first quest with Rhys the game feels like it was rushed out the door.

There are so many things I liked about it, and I used to think the enemy design was funny as a kid, though everything you said is warranted and fair I think.

The most favorite thing I liked about the game was the music and how it would change dramatically based off what was happening in a battle, or how the main over world theme would gradually get more instruments as your party grew larger. At first it starts off isolated and alone but then by the end of it you feel like you're on a triumphant quest.

The music itself isn't that bad either, especially the intro theme; and I appreciate that Sega does a lot of remixes and concerts for their video games music, it's always a lot of fun to listen to the tracks from PS3 from their concerts.

Another note; when Sega was producing the Sega Ages remakes for ps2, everyone was desperate to see PS3 get remade, it's really a shame that it never happened because there was supposed to be even more branching paths depending on who you married and alternate events depending on how the generation before handled them in the original script for PS3.

I suppose we'll never see what it was meant to be at this rate, but maybe just one day there will be someone getting old and grey that will say "hey I didn't do this justice, and I need to finish it" and then we can enjoy PS3 when we're in our 50's and reclaimed europe

you mention it OP, but do you have the rom handy? I wanna play it on my wii with dat component

emuparadise.me/Sega_Master_System_ROMs/Phantasy_Star_(Japan)_[En_by_SMS_Power_v1.02]/89145
Be sure to enable FM sound in the emulator settings

Thanks G!

Is the remastered version for the ps2 any good?

Shining Force or Golden Sun classic?

It looks and sounds like crap because SEGA released it in Japan as part of s budget title series where they released crappy remakes or ports of their old stuff the only good thing to come out of it was Panzer Dragoon with better textured and framerate as well as the true Fantasy Zone 2 if you are okay with something that looks below average then go for it.

I've taken a small break to play Phantasy Star but yeah I'm on Ephinea. Only just hit the mines though.

Context for those who've never heard of it: ephinea.pioneer2.net/

Sega's last version of the original Phantasy Star Online was a PC port called "Blue Burst", combining EP1 and EP2 with the brand-new Episode 4 (skipping EP3, the card battling game, which remains exclusive to Gamecube).
Around the time PS Universe launched, the official PSO servers shut down, and fan-hack servers have existed since then.
In terms of player population and custom content, SCHTHack {RIP} was the biggest one for nearly ten years, and Ephinea is the best option in [current year].
8/v/ ran a guild at steamcommunity.com/groups/vantasystar for a few months; you might get a new guild going if any of 'em are still alive.

Good, good memories.

The best part of these is that while there are certain elite asshole around pso still and man is it not fun to play with them. You'd better watch out if you accidently heal try hard df users, they might throw a fit and d/c while in the middle of a quest, oh and pray to God if you cause some dmc cause the dumbass doesn't think fo can murder foes as well. Thankfully most of the community is willing to help new people and most can keep their autism in check.

Hell one of the mods on ephenia in general seeks out new players just to help them.

Any way to get Hordes of Nei to work with the FM music and in english?

One of the mods randomly join my private sessions uninvited and started talking like a hardcore weaboo. Shit was cringeworthy.

On a sidenote I finished Phantasy Star and I'm over halfway through Phantasy Star II now. I don't even want to know how long these games would have taken back in the day.

Didn't a new team form on Ephinea just recently, in addition to another one on the other big server? There was a PSO thread that made me leap at downloading it, but the thread died the next day and I hadn't noted the names to contact.

I didn't see anything about a new team in that thread. Could use another PSO thread but then people would just complain that this thread is still on the catalog even though it's not specifically a PSO thread.

Also, finally finished PS2 and moved on to PS4 since I'm not interested in PS3. Shit feels a ton better than the first two games and makes me wish I had a Genesis as a kid so I could have experience it back then. Definitely would have been a pain playing PS4 first and then going back to those older games though (which is why I decided to start at the beginning in the first place).

It's a crying shame that the franchise ended up how it did (PSO notwithstanding of course, that shit was a big part of my teen years).

Best girl.

I had PS2 when I was a kid, and man did I miss the horribly dark lesson from the plot back in those days. I always wondered if the other games of the franchise were the same, but I just can't get to play anything too old that I haven't played already (for nostalgia sake)

I mean, the game has an obvious dark tone that any player capable of reading can't miss, but as a kid you hardly stop to think about stuff more deeply…

I still wish there's a new single player turn-based Phantasy Star game. MMOs aside I'd like to enjoy a good Phantasy Star's story again. And the MMOs are mostly lore.

Actual plot of PS2, just look at the name of the last dungeon, for what purpose it was built and where it came from. :p

I always rotted for the earthlings, if you ask me.

When you think about it, if they had simply declared war against the natives and wiped out the poor primitive people of Algol when they arrived, they would have won. They never needed the natives after all, they just wanted the planets.

However, they decided to be sneaky and deceitful, and this was their doom.

I have this but never touched the Phantasy Star games. Is the translation really that bad or can I just stick with this?

Why would you willingly choose to play an inferior version when you know that the fan translated version with FM sound support is just that much better of an option?

Because what consitutes a "bad" translation can range from legitimate problems to not using honorifics. The sound support is a legitimate concern but not a deal breaker.

Also the sound thing seems to only exist between the Japanese and American versions of Phantasy Star 1, so how are 2-3 in terms of the official translations?

2 has almost no dialogue aside from characters introducing themselves to you and npc's giving you hints and shit, 3 is all around garbage and you should not play it.

Id give her double xp from all sources and a higher level cap

I'm not sure if you would call this a nightmare or not. I just woke up having a dream about a MOBA Phantasy Star crossover game.

The game is a MOBA but plays like PSO2. Maps have anywhere from one to five lanes depending on the map. Also maps have hazards, traps, and obstacles to avoid and use. It uses the same controls and interface for photon arts. However there's proper guards and actual weight to your strikes since the game is about slaying other players.

Each party begins with a side of 4-6 heroes at Level 1. You gain experience points and meseta by slaying drones in lanes, bio monsters in jungle, and other players. Meseta you use to buy consumesbles and temporary power ups. None of the item upgrade tree shit like in other MOBAs. Because of this there also treasure boxes you can find either randomly dropped by enemies or spawned on the map at certain times. Treasure boxes can have money or other items.

So far the two teams were heros and villans. Hero Team was Alis, Nei, Ethan, and Elenore. Villain team was Lassic, Mother Brain, Magashi, and Kireek. Each hero has alternating light and heavy strikes, a guard, and 3 photon arts, and an Ultimate Photon Art. The 3 photon arts don't have cool down, but they drain from your PP. The exception is Ultimates which uses your full PP bar and has a cool down timer.