Comfy adventure RPGs

I am looking for comfy and long RPGs, I don't care how old or on what platform (as long as I can emulate it on PC), as long as it has that wonderful sense of adventure. I've been really enjoying the older Final Fantasy games recently and am looking for something similar, or better.

Trails in the Sky

Say no more, may I recommend you Grandia. It's the story of a boy who, like his father and grandfather wants to be an adventurer, so he runs from home and goes on a boat to another continent towards the literal End of The World in order to find adventure. On his travels he finds a colorful array of friends and allies and together they go into all sorts of adventures, from ghost ships, to uncharted jungles and ancient temples. The battle system is also quite interesting, as you get new skills the more you use certain spells or weapons. Oh and did I forget to mention it's kick-ass soundtrack, just listen to this main theme, it screams ADVENTURE.

You can't go wrong with Dragon Quest, I recommend 4 and 5 on DS
There's also 8 on PS2, but I don't know if they fixed some bugs ever since I played years ago on PCSX2, there's a part where you must follow a shadow and it was all fucked up on emulator

Grandia (1 and 2), Lufia (1 and 2), Suikoden (All five in order to transfer saves for the first three), Wild Arms (First one at least), Dragon Quest (All of them) and I'd say the demo of Miitopia is fun

The DS version of 4 has cut content and a terrible dub. I suggest playing the PS2 remake of 5 which has a fan translation patch in two different flavours (DQ and DW style)

dub i meant to say translation FUUCK

So OP, did anything catch you eye, or are you a (1) and gone type of OP?

Wild ARMS 3. Cowboy adventures on the sandsea.

I've got Grandia 2, how's that stand up in comparison?

Sadly, I haven't played it yet, but I heard it has simillair themes and plot points with the first, though with a different cast. From a quick glance at a youtube video the combat and gameplay seems to be similar.

All of the suggested games look interesting. I'm going to play Grandia first. Thanks everyone. Keep them coming.

why.jpg. First one is a retarded dogshit entry to an otherwise great franchise, the second one is the pinnacle of its series. But hey, good taste otherwise.

Anyways, I'll say Breath of Fire 3 and 4. You might like 1 and 2 also if you like those, but they don't have to be played in order.

Hope you enjoy it user.

Because I didn't play any Wild Arms past 2, so I won't recommend thing I have no knowledge. As for Suikoden 4, yeah, that's the weakest, I wholeheartly agree, but it does explain stuffs in other episodes. I did forget Breath of Fire however and second your opinion on that front.

Kamidori Alchemy Meister is a way to go. It has a bit of slice of life goodness with adventure as well. It's a hentai strategy RPG+management game where you manage an alchemist shop.

Try the Phantasy Star series.

Wild Arms anons, a question. The only wild arms I stumbled upon was 4, where does it rank in the series?

Should I play the original two games or their remakes?

The first one is okay, though it lacks the god tier FM synth music. The second PS remake is trash though.

So I should stick with the original Master System and Genesis versions, then.

Are you talking about the Master System version or the low budget remake?

Golden sun

Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 + Grayface's unofficial patches

DQ4DS has cut content? What did they cut exactly? If it's the party chat, the jap version still has it

It's the worst. The only thing it had going for it was the battle system, and 5 has that without the rest of the game being crap.

If you're interested in the series, try 3 or 5.

WA4 is pretty much the weakest in the series. 5 makes an effort to improve on what WA4 introduced in gameplay, but it also seems like it gets ignored a lot (I've seen a fair bit of sentiment that, depending on the user, the series died for them after either WA3, or ACF, the latter being a remake of the first game). Wild Arms 1, 2, and 3 are fan favorites, with WA3 being the most western of the three. XF on the PSP is a tactical RPG spinoff.

All the games are playable as standalone entries, but have various call backs to the previous entries, with WA3 having so many it might be a distant sequel to the first game (and ACF). Media.Vision has been wishywashy on continuity though, as to whether the games take place on the same Filgaia at different points in its history, or if they're all alternate incarnations of the same nigh-doomed world. WA5 is also an anniversary title and as such celebrates the series with numerous cameos and sidequests involving characters that appeared in the prior games. If you haven't played them prior, those might not mean much to you (to be fair though the game does have its own plot and cast; I'm speaking more of side-content gaining more meaning for returning players).

Alot of anons recommend Underrail (fallout style rpg), its on my backlog so I cant offer an opinion.

Divinity Original Sins is fun, however loses some of its magic after the first area. Bonus points for co-op play and turn based combat that is actually fun (take notes Obsidian).

Pillars of Eternity is okay at best but still has too many problems to make it enjoyable.

Tyranny is complete and utter trash.

The original Fallout has a sharp learning curve but is extremely enjoyable. Havent played FO2 but some anons claim its better.

Baldurs Gate is always a decent option just avoid Beamdog like the plague.

2/3rds of the fucking script aka the party chat
Jap version has an unedited english translation on the cart but it's really rough and filled with code

3 is the peak of that series and my absolute favorite JRPG of all time
2 is also really good although the localization is piss poor
1 is decent but has a hilariously awful localization
Alter Code F is a remake of 1 in 3's engine but manages to fuck up everything 3 got right and also has a hilariously awful localization but in different ways from the original WA1

4 is fucking dogshit, and it sucks so hard that I didn't even look at 5 because although I've heard 5 is a decent game, it shouldn't have been called Wild Arms

Go play the Trails games, the Trails in the Sky trilogy is available on Steam and GOG and trails of Cold Steel I & II are coming for PC soon.

I recommend using cheatengine in order to slightly speed up the battle, for some reason the animations of the Sky games are a bit slow.

This. It's exploring the Kingdom of Liberl that makes it so comfy.

I hate toriyama everything. Are there alternatives to DQ series?

Speaking of emulation, what's the best DS emulator?

I use desmume but at this point I guess they all are fine.

All right then. Thanks.

I see, good to know that I was introduced to a weak entry and the rest of the series isn't like that.

Wild Arms on the whole tends to be a mixture of western, sci-fi, and supernatural/fantasy, in varying ratios depending on the game in question (leaving them as "weird west" rather than straight "western"). Wild Arms 4, however, is weighted MUCH more heavily on the sci-fi end than the other entries, to the point it doesn't have too much in the way of "western" to it. The themes to it are also rather trite, and while the change in combat is interesting, it's not all that well balanced (something WA5 worked to correct). I didn't necessarily dislike the game myself (it's certainly not a favorite though), but it is the weakest in my experiences, and I should also mention I got it cheap and knew what I was getting into with it ahead of time. I can see how people who bought it at release, after the heavily western Wild Arms 3 (and a somewhat hit or miss remake in ACF) having come before it, would be really put off by the change in tone.

I'd say to give the first game a go, and then play through WA2 and 3 afterward. Maybe ACF and 5 if those seem up your alley as well.

Gothic 1 and 2

This, shit is comfy as fuck.

I'd say Gothic is more grim than comfy.

I've recently started playing Fantasy Life on the 3DS.
You can do a lot of stuff in it at your own pace.

WA4's problem wasn't that it went too sci fi, it's that it wasn't western enough, going for a post WW2 aesthetic.

I think 5 has a much worse story and characters (the final boss is the anthropomorphic personification of RACISM) but its gameplay is massively improved and it is legitimately a huge fucking game with solid graphics, music and dungeon design.

It's 4 that shouldn't be called Wild ARMS. 5 is essentially a giant anniversary game, so every concept and character returns (all of the side quests are given by the playable characters of the first 4 games and generally tell an abbreviated and scaled down version of their character arcs). They apparently intended to remake WA2 shortly after, as the vast majority of its monsters are from that game, and the Knight Blazer costume. Sadly that doesn't seem like it will be happening any time soon, which is a shame, because 2 is my favorite, although 3 has a better battle system (which peaks at ACF).

The PSP strategy RPG is also fairly good and has a more autistic version of FFT's class system, but it railroads you into using some classes for certain maps as they have the Tool equivalent skills.

As for the shared continuity, the broad strokes are that Filgaia/Fargaia is a human colony that's been hit by multiple waves of post-human colonization. First were the Elw, then the (standard) humans, then the metal demons, then the Veruni who were standard humans who left and came back as faggots. As far as I can tell the order is 1->3 ->2->4. I'm not sure if 5 is meant to be first or last though, as the Baskar are Veruni in 5, and in 3 they're established to have displaced the elw. It's very possible that the humans of 5 ARE the elw.

if you can ignore the SJW crap GW2 is actually pretty good. You kinda just do whatever and explore at your own pace.

smh

Should ve made him into a real ugly tranny if they wanted that much inclusion

if they don't tell you, how will the player know they're being progressive?

Hey remember all of my life until last month? Didn't count. Totally not me anymore.

WA5's a odd case. On one hand, that is true about the final boss fight. On the other hand, the game makes a good case against racemixing, as by the point the game starts, Volsung feels no real tie to either side of his genetics, and despite claims to be siding with the Veruni, is willing to mass murder some of them simply to make a point, leaving him dangerous to both the humans and the Veruni (and after the "warning shot" incident, even his own subordinates start to see that, aside from Kartikeya, but he's a fucking psycho anyhow). In a way, I suppose the game does try to paint Volsung as somewhat sympathetic and a victim of RACISM (albeit "halfbreed" isn't necessarily a proper race), but in retrospect he's also a bit of a warning, so to speak. At least, that's my take on him, and it's admittedly been a while since I've played it.

That it was. I was quite happy to see the game have an actual overworld to it after WA4 had dropped that aspect, and a big one at that, dropped the comic panel style dialogue WA4 had, and being a somewhat late PS2 game, the graphics were markedly good. I do think maybe the better graphics and overworld being present again (and so big) contribute to it having more loading than I'd noticed in the prior entries, though it wasn't deal breaking for me, and there's certainly games with more obnoxious loading issues out there (Tales of the Abyss, for example). I also really liked how the music went above and beyond, where instead of just one main overworld theme, it has one for each continent, as well as many different dungeon tunes as opposed to just two or three main ones. Agematsu and Kouda aren't Naruke, but they're still pretty darn good, and I liked the effort they put in for the OST.

I really wish they had, so then maybe XSEED could have given WA2's script a better English translation than the original PS1 version saw courtesy of whoever SCEA had rushed it out to. Shame Sony as the rights holder basically stopped letting the games be made anymore after XF, despite Media.Vision saying they wanted to make more, until they told them they could make another game but only as a reboot for mobile devices.

I don't think the Elw came from another world, but were rather the original human-level race on Filgaia, though maybe I'm reading into what you meant wrong, in which case, my bad. Also, the Veruni not only came back as cunts, they originally left as cunts too, back when they were originally human. What a bunch of fuckups.

(1/2); post was too long.

From what I've known, Media.Vision's been prone to say one thing and then another later on as far as continuity goes, and I don't think they ever confirmed an actual chronology, if there even is one. As far as speculation goes for me (and this is just from my own experiences with the series), 1 and 3 might well share a connection given how many call-backs and returning elements there are, as might 2 and 4 (4 has a few returning locations from 2 that aren't elsewhere in the series, and an NPC makes a comment about a historical prison break where one of the escapees became a baker, but that might just be a throw away shout-out; there's also the presence of semi-modern vehicles in both, between that shattered freeway in 4 and the militia's transport jeeps in 2). I'd say WA5 might be stand-alone, but it has some odd factors to it. The sheer volume of time between its history and the present world would give a lot of time for the events of the other games to take place over and be forgotten (but also asks the question of why no one would have found those historical devices in some of the ruins prior; said ruins not always being hidden), and I think the Gallows-cameo, being a Baskar researcher, also speculated on the nature of WA5's Filgaia being a sort of "nexus point" to other incarnations of Filgaia out there (though that might just have been the author taking the piss on providing a possible reason for all the cameo characters running around). But whether there's one timeline and one world, a few different timelines, or every game being its own incarnation of Filgaia, we may not really know.

Also, the Baskar in Wild Arms 1-4 are humans (albeit not actually present in WA4 aside from sandswept ruins, and the ones in 1 and 3 have much more similarities to each other, than with WA2's incarnation), while in WA5 they are stated to be Veruni that have decided to ally with Filgaia, and are neutral in regards to the rest of their race's infighting. It's worth remembering that in all of the games, the Baskar are a tribe of a race, not their own race. If there is a chronology between it and the previous games though, it begs the question of where the name came from, whether the humans adopted it from the Veruni Baskar, or the Veruni adopted it from the human Baskar (either has implications on where WA5 would even fit in a possible chronology).

Polite sage for double post.

HELLO COMFY ZONE

Nostalgia comfy zone, that somehow is still great. I wish more dungeon crawlers just let you do whatever or had interesting spells.

Nostalgia comfy zone the original. I get into this trance when I play Phantasy Star 1+2. I never got the GBA compilation to work, but I am sure by now someone has a good dump up.

I love this game, for a hentai game it is surprisingly good, consider purchasing it.

Grandia and Grandia 2 are amazingly comfy.

Breath of Fire 3 for the PS1 and PSP

Well since the Veruni were once Filgaians, it's possible they took some of the original Baskar with them and then the ones who stayed were wiped out before/off screen during WA5.

Based on the original games I would agree, but then XF made them the most technologically advanced race, with time ships and dimensional drifting that they extrapolated from their WA1 era tech. Also, those Elw don't have animal ears. XF takes place circa WA2's era, if I recall correctly, Slayheim is mentioned.

I actually played DQ8 on emulator just recently and ran into that bug, the work around was easy. All you needed to do was turn off anti-aliasing and put it at native resolution. Shit just works.

Try the Mystery Dungeon games if you aren't averse to roguelikes

Desmume for PC and Drastic for Android

Use the OpenGL plugin instead. Its the one which actually gets updated.

Press f9 nigger.

except for Dragon Quest 2, even the developers agree that the second half of that game was shit. Otherwise, you are correct. DQ is comfy as fuck.

Ys series.

SMT Strange Journey is pretty fucking fun.
There's also The Dark Spire. Both for the Nintendo DS, so they are easy to emulate.

I am currently Playing Tales of Phantasia. I started with the SNES version but then found out the PS1 version was translated as well with uses the Tale of Destiny Engine. Both versions are comfy and have there own unique aesthetic. The PS1 version has bit better translation and the battle mechanics are far more interesting. Where as the SNES version combat reminds me of FFXV in its simplicity but there is a charm to it and it is impressive particularly in regards to sound considering the limitations of the Super Nintendo. The audio being the most impressive on SNES being one of the first game I am aware of on the system to have high quality voice acting and singing (0:52 of video related).

I don't play MMO's anymore and I never played GW2 but when did it become full of SJW crap? Was it always full of SJW crap? Holly shit

can confirm these are good too.

I'd say that if you follow a guide, is not that bad.

Sure, I agree, but that still improves the experience.

EO as well.

Majesty

EO?

Etrian Odyssey.

I, as well as a lot of other people, prefer Grandia 1. A lot of other people prefer Grandia 2, and that's perfectly acceptable. They're both pretty great games, and if you like one you'll probably like the other.

Grandia 3 is a shitshow with a great skill system.

GAMECUBE EMULATION BRO

it's a travesty that no one has mentioned Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (which is quite possibly the comfiest of games ever produced) or Skies of Arcadia Legends.

Also Chrono Trigger. Just… just play Chrono Trigger. I like Chrono Cross, but I am in the minority on that one.

Maybe. But there's still the issue of whether or not there even is continuity. Media.Vision seems to have enjoyed being playful and not giving an out-and-out answer. Also an issue of geology and geography: If one was to take their world to be like ours, it would be rather unlikely for a single planet to undergo so much shifting of landmass over the course of it's human(oid) history, though Wild Arms 3 does provide a manmade reason for its oceans having vanished, and quite drastically as well. Even with recurring locations that might be hinting at continuity, I don't remember them matching up when comparing maps (and even the general landmasses don't properly match either), and some of said locations would be difficult to just deconstruct and rebuild elsewhere. Though, it's also worth keeping in mind that, due to the Guardians as a factor, terraforming, and in a few incarnations Filgaia itself being a living system, so maybe their world is prone to much faster, more drastic geological changes than our earth is itself.

As for the lack of animal ears on the Elw, maybe it's an oversight on Sasaki's part as the character artist? Prior to him taking over after WA4, Ooba (WA3, ACF, 4, and Flower Thieves) hadn't worked on the original PS1 games (to my knowledge, anyhow), and with WA3, while the Elw are mentioned, they're pretty much only in ancient black-on-stone murals and it's hard to make out details; the text also only states them to have had pointed ears there, and the murals could be interpreted either way (elven or pointed animal ears). With WA ACF though, he was working much more directly with transferring classic designs to his own style, including the Elw, who did once again have animal ears, and had existing character designs, like Mariel's, to go off of. Though, to be fair, I've yet to give XF a go myself yet.

Pretty sure Star Ocean also featured a surprising amount of voicing for a SFC game, but then again Tri-Ace did branch off of WolfTeam, who had made Tales of Phantasia for Namco.

Has the spam returned or something? I notice we're back to per-post captcha again?

Radiant Historia

What version, NES? I played the SNES version and it was fine. And that was after finishing I. I'm oplaying the games in order and II looks like another DQ game that improved the formula.

Glory of Heracles series.

90% of hentai/visual novel RPGs are exactly what you want because the gameplay mechanics tend to be shallow with tons of exposition in between battles.

Sengoku Rance and Big Bang Age are pretty mechanically dense and difficult but still very comfortable when shit isn't getting real.
Utawarerumono and Kamidori Alchemy Meister have a nice, slow pace and focus more on enemy placement than unit management.
Tears to Tiara is pretty shit but also very comfy.
Avoid Eien no Aselia. It's shit.
Monster Girl Quest is a three-parter that sucks you into the story. More adventure than RPG with almost every fight being a puzzle boss of some sort, but it's comfy.

What did they change in the remake?

They say they just added more content to secondary quests and a extra timeline that works as a huge secondary quest

i started ultima underworld not long time ago and have a blast so far.
gog has 1 and 2 in a bundle.
gogwiki.com/wiki/DOSBox#Roland_MT-32_support
with this tutorial you can set up mt-32 music easily, which is 10/10.
first true immersive sim
i still suggest checking manual and glimpsing at walkthrough from time to time to avoid frustrations

Faith.
Although it wont be out for awhile…