Peaceful vidya platform thread

Alright fags, give me your opinion
What modern platform or platforms do you personally think are worth owning?
Why?
What do you think are the best combos and why?

Keep it civil

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/0MjQ1
archive.fo/IOXhf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

A PS2, a Dreamcast, a modded 360 and a modded Wii

I have a Wii U, a PS4 and an Xbone, my Xbone barely gets played, not enough exclusives, just use it for multi stuff with one friend and even then I haven't turned on the thing in months.

PS4 gets the most playtime, Wii U is mostly a Mario Kart machine.

Modern? 3DS, Vita, PS3.
Old platforms, get a N64 and a PS2.
This plus emulation. Would mean years upon years worth of videogames.

Fake pic
Consoles don't have faces

PC, first and foremost. It's the most sustainable form of entertainment online or alone, and it will always be the quintessential modern platform.

3DS, especially if you have friends that have one themselves. Good library, though the days of SwapNote lewd arts seems to have passed. Still, can find some good 3DS threads every now and again.

Modded DS, PSP, or Pi for portable emulation.

Any console aged 2004 and older is fine, especially if you have the means to mod it.

Yeah, thats pretty much me

How about controllers?

I have a PC that I use mostly for emulators and old/doujin games, I won't upgrade it until something breaks.
I play mostly Vita nowadays, 3ds has some good games but I've played most of them already.
I got a ps4 as a gift last Christmas and it's finally getting good games, but paid online limits my purchases for it (Instead of buying God Eater on ps4 I bought it for Vita because it has free online, I bought Blazblue CF on ps3 for the same reason).
I still play on my ps3 and psp regularly, but I don't know if they count as modern anymore.

AHAHAHAHA
No.
Consoles are trash and you should feel bad for owning one.
Fucking peasants.(USER WAS BANNED FOR NOT BEING CIVIL)

Have a mid range laptop for the 2010 and before games, a 3ds, a ps4, and a variety of older consoles.

Didn't you read the OP? This is about a peaceful discussion.
But yeah PC really is the only one worth owning. Though handhelds are a necessity when moving around, as android emulation is shit and will never beat the originals. I use my old DS as a GBA machine, pretty much. I also own a Wii that I dust off for whenever there's pals around. No new console really interests me.

For what fucking purpose? Are you an ant or something?

Despite what some may want you to believe, the Switch doesn't have any worth while games outside of grind fests and shit that you'll get bored of in less than a week.

Sure man. Enjoy begging for console games, getting releases of what are basically console games with a pc version, and playing LoL and Overwatch. Mustard racing in a nutshell

This was a reply for

A PC with every emulator and a controller of your choice. It truly is that simple

Aside from a PC, I have a 3DS and a PS3 that I use for exclusive titles. A Wii U might be worth owning for a couple of games, but I'll probably be able to emulate it just fine by the time I upgrade my PC.

Honestly BotW is fun if you set your own goals and are autistic enough that just fucking around is fun, but that's it.
It's just meant to be a sandbox.

I have an obligatory PC, a modded PS2, and I'm working on getting a CFW'd n3DS and PS3.
I had an n3DS but lost my job and sold it with all my games to pay rent in January.

Personally, none. Just PC. I do have a PSP that I haven't used in a while. Used that one a lot, but it also spent a lot of time collecting dust. The little plate that holds the battery in place broke and I never bothered to fix it.

Maybe a 3DS since hacking the thing is so easy now, if you're into Nintendo games.
That's about it. Modern consoles are a ripoff.

Consoles are only worth it when you buy them dirty cheap and pirate all the games after the gen is over

Assuming you already have a halfway decent PC:
Modded Xbox Hueg and a PS2.
If you're a weeb then pick up a cheap PS3 + cheap games and a Vita, wait a generation and then do the same thing with the PS4 + the worthwhile games.

Oh and since you asked for why:
Self-explanatory.
A surprisingly good library of exclusives and can be modded easily. Also no emulation.
Had a huge library and emulation is not yet perfect.
Now cheap as fuck as are most of the worthwhile games (doubly so if you look in charity shops or local equivalent). This is more relevant if you're a weeb.
Weebshit is good. A cheap old PSP to mess with + pirate shit isn't a bad idea either.
Treat it like the PS3 and wait a generation for a huge price drop if you're weeb enough to want the exclusives.

Most of the good console exclusive vidya older than the PS2/Xbox are fairly easy to emulate or in cases like the PS1 era shit mostly already have PC ports.

I have nothing against console users, I just think consoles are useless for me outside of PS4 strictly for Bloodborne and Nioh.
60fps and easier to pirate games makes it a no brainer

A safe bet on anything except for the last two generations is to own whatever you can't emulate. My dad wanted me to save my childhood consoles years ago, and I can't thank him enough.
If you absolutely need to own a seventh gen console, their prices are dropping pretty fast.
I've been eying some developments on the emulation side of things, and found that someone got native CRT output from an SJWPie, if I ever come across a quality screen I'll definitely play some SNK gems on it.

Forgot to add: or are sometimes ports from PC anyway. The PS1 got a lot of classic PC and DOS vidya. C&C95, for example.

I have several 360's for when either friends come over or I go to another friends place as well as a few cheap used lcd monitors to connect them to. They are dirt cheap, , especially the the first design models, as long as you go for ones that look like they have been used a bit, because if they have been played on for a while there is a good chance it's not one of the defective models that'll red ring. If you find a cheap one labeled "for parts, drive doesn't open" you can usually get them to work by placing the 360 virtually, if the belts aren't too far gone. Games are pretty cheap for them right now, I picked up 4 copies of halo reach and 3 for lan parties for only 3-5 bucks a copy at thrift stores and pawn shops.
I mean that's the only reason to own a console right, is to play with friends on a couch with friends?

Well, almost all of them, but you gotta buy them and their games cheap, most of the old stuff you can emulate, but a lot of the console exclusive games, you gotta get them cheap and take good care of them.

I would say just PC and whatever yuo cant emulate, but playing couch co-op or something like a fighting game on your PC is a hassle.
of course, games dont support couch co-op anymore because progress dosnt always march forward, so this is irrelevant for actual modern (this gen) consoles

Essential:
PC with emulators and controllers

Additional based on preference:
3DS
PS2
PS1
PSP
DS

ps4, vita, and a used 3ds, and a PC gaming with the capability to play games from 2010 and older.

PC and modded 2DS

Pc everything. If you can play a game on pc play it there. Other than that, you only need a 3ds, since there are no viable emulator yet, and maybe a vita if you like certain games or if you want emulators on the go (even if people will tell you to just buy a controller for your phone).
I wouldn't buy a ps3/xbox since i'd hate to have another plastic toy around just to play 3-4 exclusive.

Books.

Which console would you have intercourse with?
We're talking about the consoles themselves here, not the tans.

A PC and a single hand held - I recommend a n3DS XL.
The best combination. Huge libraries and easy pirating.
Unless you expose yourself to marketing by daily visits to game news websites, you simply won't care about newer games and console exclusives - as you shouldn't.

Peace was never an option

Console fags must be gassed

for me it was always PC as my main machine and a Nintendo console for it's exclusives.

I, for one, like how Nintendo is looking for gimmicks to slap on their consoles, it means that the console has it's own unique experience as opposed to the other big two who just feel like flimsy, closed down PCs.

But i'm sticking with my Wii U for now, that paid online shit with the switch is hella bullshit, which is a shame since the concept appeals to me greatly.

Also I'm kind of on the fence with portable consoles, I got a 2DS a while ago and hacked it to oblivion but now I kind of got bored of it, maybe I should try new gaymes

PC, PS3, PS4 and a modded phat PS2.

Goddamn they really need to port everything to PC.

CIVILITY INTENSIFIES

Definitely PC for the versatility factor. I don't see myself ever running out of things to play thanks to emulation for retro/arcade systems and a ton of PC-only and smaller indie titles that never see console releases.
If you're into weeb games then the Vita is absolutely golden, if you can look past the idiocy that went into the hardware's inexplicable dislike of compatibility.
I'm slowly getting into my 3DS as well thanks to a few of its exclusives. Pretty fun but not still on the fence about whether I love it or not.

Speaking of combos, has anyone given much use to the cross-play or cross-save features between the Sony consoles? I like the idea of it, but never done much with it myself.

Do we have a worthwhile ps3 chart?
I have fmb for the ps2, and ill mod my xbox eventually. Also whats up with ds emulation? I have a ds laying around, well that and a wii and wiiu.

DS emulation is alright
Need better compat and optimization with mobile though.

Anything but M$pozzboxxx.

For emulation I would not snub a ps2 with free mcboot. Doubly so if you are running that shit on a crt. The nes/master system/gensis/snes emulation on the ps2 is surprisingly strong. As for modern systems a 3ds or vita is a good choice if you don't mind piracy.

Once more the PC master race will rule the galaxy, and we shall have peace.

Right now the Wii might be the best option for CRT emulation on the cheap. Got dem sweet RGB cables too.

Kill yourselves

I miss PC-tan. He was great.

Tan collection, for you: imgur.com/a/0MjQ1

But user, hes still alive

I have a PS2, OG Xbox, XBOX 360, PS4 and a PC with pic related specs. Between the older generation consoles I have 184 games. I have 217 for PC and 4 for PS4. the PS4 is mostly a Netflix/Hulu/HBO box sitting in my living room instead of in my gaming room proper. It works for me and I rarely desire a game on a platform I don't have.

Forgot the pic related.

post switch dog

Any console is fine as long as you can mod it.

fuck discs, best media is either solid state or non drm digital

archive.fo/IOXhf

lol

Ps4 for weeb. Pc for all else.

You must hate yourself fam

You know, they always were pretty SJWish, but they also had some great ideas, decent jokes, and fun scenarios. Now I just wonder if they ever had any actual talent to begin with, and whether the QFG series was just a fluke because they had Sierra and their Adventure game model to work within as a constraint to focus their abilities. Once left to their own devices, to create what they want to create according to their own talents, they end up with nothing released but some really shitty alpha concepts of a game that looks like the antithesis of fun.

my hand and my wiener

Alright OP, listen the fuck up for I'm gonna lay down the civil. AKA, the opinions

PC first and foremost. If you don't have a gaming PC by now then get one before getting anything else. There is no excuse not to have one since it's the superior platform, and everything there is free. :')

Secondly, a 3DS (preferably homebrewed) as it has a great library for on the go, and it only has about one more year of support before Nintendo puts all their attention to the Switch.

Also, the Switch is great too. Sure it has paid online now, but the library coming Namely Super Mario Odyssey and Metroid Prime 4 plus what's out now and coming later makes it worth it. I'd wait till Black Friday though as it doesn't come bundled with a game.

The idealistic combo is PC+Switch. The Switch is pretty much the only console you'll need since the Xbone has virtually no exclusives, and the exclusives the PS4 has are shit. Yes the PS4 has Persona 5, but so does the PS3. If you really want to play Persona 5 instead of waiting for the PC emulation to finish, then get a PS3.

BONUS ROUND

Consoles that are for personal preference and not required but still good nonetheless

One more thing I forgot to mention about the Nintendo Switch is Gamefreak announced that the mainline Gen 8 Pokemon games will be on the Switch, so if you're a Pokefag then you'll have to get one since 3DS support is ending next year.

This means Sinnoh remakes on the Nintendo Switch. Get hyped.

But user, Persona 5 is on the PS3
and its shit

Top Ten Consoles of ALL TIME - Objective Edition:

And my issue with Nintendo is NoA censoring a shitton of games.
I was about to buy a WiiU in early 2015 until all that cenasored shit, from Fatal Frame 5 to Xenoblade.

chill thread, but there can only be one.

A PC running Linux with a bunch of emulators, and an OG Xbox on the side.
If you're running some normalfag-tier distro like Ubuntu or one of its spins, you can add an emulator's PPA or just use the distro's repo and automatically update your emulator collection without having to follow a bunch of websites and manually download installers like Windowsfags. Most Windows games just werk in Wine and even the ones that don't are pretty easy to get working if you check the AppDB there's also dual-booting with Windows 7 if you really want that.
The OG Xbox recommendation is there because XQEMU isn't quite ready yet, maybe a PS3 too if you're impatient for RPCS3.

their is still a shit ton of untapped potential with the RPG cross Adventure Game Genre. But don't give those faggots too much credit every plot point was just stolen form Scandinavian folklore

Why did he wrap his pi in duct tape?

how armature

If xbox HUEG backwards compatibility is extensive enough/not buggy as shit the xbone will be a pretty decent console, for its generation. It is a solid Halo box, though.

Consoles that you can't emulate (or even that are inconvenient to emulate). A good PC, and for newer consoles, get something used when it's cheap, if you care about some of the exclusives.

I currently own a Wii (for GameCube games), PS2 (couldn't emulate it at the time that I got it, and I would rather not emulate it anyway), Dreamcast and a PS3. I only own games for the PS3 (I found a slim that was cheap enough to be worth it, and piracy is only possible on the older models). Piracy on everything else, to save space and money (not really a collector). Also a fan of buying consoles after they are already discontinued, used.

My PC is a fucking monster. I could just play everything on console and have a weaker PC for emulators, but I use computers a lot regardless of gaming, so I would rather have a good one anyway. Having a fast PC is not really optional, unless you are a normalfag and a shitty fucking phone is what you want. Consoles are good enough for gaming, but PCs are good at doing anything that you could ever want.

What a great time to NOT give a shit about Pokemon.

After catching them all on Gen 6, the "why should I even keep playing these?" finally got to me. It feels great. They are simply not challenging games (unfortunately), so I lost interest completely when I ran out of autism. Now I have more time for other games.

That backwarts compat will be emulation
which will also be on Windows 10

That's not a problem on the Switch OP. The Switch ditched the region locking, so you can play Japanese games on an American system. However if you don't speak moonrunes and the censoring is too much, then there's always homebrewing to get access to fan translations.

And here we have a Summerfag who not only has shit taste, but also cannot read.

Only hacked systems, and these days I'm only really playing games on handhelds, rarely my PS3 as a Souls machine and for certain shitty games.

Switch hasn't got homebrew yet. Similarly, you cannot homebrew some Vita games, depending when they were released.

If an emulator isn't open source it's a bad emulator. I don't care how talented one individual is, you'll always improve it by opening it up to more eyes, and also allow it to be used on other platforms, and stop abuses like Cemu.

All of them, specially the Xbox One X, with it's 4 Teraflops of HD graphics.

Switch doesn't have homebrew and likely won't for quite a while, security is surprisingly tight on the damned thing. Security features vary even from cartridge to cartridge for retail games.

Anything post Gen II is unplayable trash tbqh fam

Not yet, but it's inevitable, and at the rate that Switch hacking is going, it should be soon.

The developer toolkit for Switch was leaked also. Softmodders & homebrewers have been given every opportunity to crack it open and create things for it.

If I was a summerfag the thread would have been deleted by now as it would be a console war thread.
I can, I just missed that line of text, forgive me user.
Persona 5 is still shit though

True, wouldn't consider bad if the emulator does well whats intended to do and can still be modified, I'm sure the CEMU devs are just doing this for the Patreonbux, but I'm sure they'll open the source code once they properly finish it.
Xbox emu is fucked though because its fucking Microsoft, but if its an alright emu I'll be happy with it, especially considering XQEMU exists, so if anything its a good alternative until that one ia finished.

How is it that Nintendo are less prone to game leaks but their SDKs keep leaking? why can't I get software level cracks for other systems like ever?